New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Undertale in D&D 5E: Possible?

So, in my group there are a few Undertale fans, myself included. So, we got curious: Can we make Undertale characters in D&D? I did an experiment, and I already found a way to build one, no Multiclassing needed. So who did I build?

Why, a spear-throwing fish lady, of course! Say hello to my Undyne build, no Unearthed Arcana needed.

Race: Triton. The only race from the books that is fish-like in the slightest.
    Class: Fighter, specifically Samurai archetype.
    Background: Soldier. Being captain of the royal guard, it was clear to me.

I chose Samurai, simply because I like imagining the "Advantage" given by it was that I just through a massive amount of spears (My DM let me flavor Javelins to be throwing spears). Plus, at 18th level, you get Strength Before Death, which means your enemies are 'Gonna have to try a little harder than THAT!' as you enter your Undying form, hopefully with a usage of Second Wind and Action Surge to slaughter everyone left.

As for feats? None really NEEDED, but Sharpshooter is nice to make your spears extra dangerous.

What do you all think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Undertale in D&D 5E: Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Undyne View Post
    So, in my group there are a few Undertale fans, myself included. So, we got curious: Can we make Undertale characters in D&D? I did an experiment, and I already found a way to build one, no Multiclassing needed. So who did I build?

Why, a spear-throwing fish lady, of course! Say hello to my Undyne build, no Unearthed Arcana needed.

Class: Fighter, specifically Samurai archetype.
    Background: Soldier. Being captain of the royal guard, it was clear to me.

I chose Samurai, simply because I like imagining the "Advantage" given by it was that I just through a massive amount of spears (My DM let me flavor Javelins to be throwing spears). Plus, at 18th level, you get Strength Before Death, which means your enemies are 'Gonna have to try a little harder than THAT!' as you enter your Undying form, hopefully with a usage of Second Wind and Action Surge to slaughter everyone left.

As for feats? None really NEEDED, but Sharpshooter is nice to make your spears extra dangerous.

What do you all think?
    Neat post.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyLucre View Post
    Neat post.
    Thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Undyne View Post
    Not true. Other options are:
    • Sea elf, from MToF.
    • Simic hybrid, from GGtR, with the Underwater Adaptation enhancement.
    • Water genasi, from EEPC.

But yeah, triton probably fits Undyne the best.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

As for flavoring javelins as throwing spears, it’s not much of a stretch.

A spear is a long pointy stick....a javelin is a long pointy stick balanced a little better for throwing.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This feels like cheating, but Metaton is clearly a Envoy Warforged Glamour Bard

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Seclora View Post
    This feels like cheating, but Metaton is clearly a Envoy Warforged Glamour Bard
    My DM lets us play Warforged, and one of the other players immediately did that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I dunno, I had Undyne pegged as a Paladin of Vegeance. She has some magical abilities, and Compelled Duel in particular is a near-perfect analogue for the green heart you-can't-run mechanic.

Granted, she doesn't seem to have healing powers, but she also prefers solo combat, so she might only use them on herself.

Still, if you want a less overtly supernatural version, Samurai is probably your best bet.

Mettaton, especially his second form, is a Warforged Bard of some type. Probably Swords?

Sans is tricky. My first thought would be Mastermind Rogue, but if you do fight him, he's MUCH stronger in personal combat than that archetype really suggests.

Papyrus, I just can't figure out. Fighter? Swashbuckler?

Alphys you could make an argument for either Artificer or Wizard. I can never remember what the subclasses are for Artificer though. If you go Wizard, Transmuter probably makes the most sense, but of you take into account
    Spoiler
    Show
    her secret lab you only see in a True Pacifist run, you could definitely make an argument for Necromancer. Yeah, I know they're not dead, so you still make a case for Transmuter, but she was experimenting with the fundamental forces of life.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2019-11-04 at 02:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Sans is tricky. My first thought would be Mastermind Rogue, but if you do fight him, he's MUCH stronger in personal combat than that archetype really suggests.

Papyrus, I just can't figure out. Fighter? Swashbuckler?
    I would peg Sans as a Paladin/Sorcerer. Maybe a Paladin of Vengeance/Shadow Sorcerer? Or perhaps even Vengeance Paladin/Divine Soul. He doesn't really do much until a very specific run, at which point he works pretty hard to avenge everyone, and hits like a truck too. On other runs he either befriends and protects you...kind of...and he is a judge of all your sins. Seems like Paladin material to me.

As for Papyrus, I'd actually go Grave Cleric. Why? Because if you play through Undertale and try your best to be killed by every monster, Papyrus is the ONLY one with enough control over his magic to not kill you. Even Toriel can accidentally kill you during her battle if you try to get killed by her, but Papyrus can never kill you. As such, it makes sense that he'd be able to cast spells lime spare the Dying as a bonus Action, and can support his allies with all sorts of magic. Plus lets face it, his Royal Guard uniform is perfect for heavy armor.
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2019-11-04 at 02:13 PM.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    I would peg Sans as a Paladin/Sorcerer. Maybe a Paladin of Vengeance/Shadow Sorcerer? Or perhaps even Vengeance Paladin/Divine Soul. He doesn't really do much until a very specific run, at which point he works pretty hard to avenge everyone, and hits like a truck too. On other runs he either befriends and protects you...kind of...and he is a judge of all your sins. Seems like Paladin material to me.

As for Papyrus, I'd actually go Grave Cleric. Why? Because if you play through Undertale and try your best to be killed by every monster, Papyrus is the ONLY one with enough control over his magic to not kill you. Even Toriel can accidentally kill you during her battle if you try to get killed by her, but Papyrus can never kill you. As such, it makes sense that he'd be able to cast spells lime spare the Dying as a bonus Action, and can support his allies with all sorts of magic. Plus lets face it, his Royal Guard uniform is perfect for heavy armor.
    Speaking of Toriel, she and Asgore I figure are Clerics. Light and War, respectively. Light is fairly defensive, buy has some good ways to burn foes. War, because he hits hard and fast with that Trident of his. Dunno what race, though. Firbolg? Shifter? Simic Hybrid?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

It depends on your dungeon master. Our DM accepts new ideas if it's interesting and will make the adventure more fascinating

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ann_ferg View Post
    It depends on your dungeon master. Our DM accepts new ideas if it's interesting and will make the adventure more fascinating
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-05-10 at 12:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: Thread Necromancy.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)