Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 43
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    I just thought of something D&D Tiamat the Dragon Queen Deity Of Evil Dragonkind should have her own movie. She should be played as the villain or anti-hero taking over the world. So what's your thought about it?
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-10-18 at 08:24 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Death realm
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I just thought of something D&D Tiamat the Dragon Queen Deity Of Evil Dragonkind should have her own movie. She should be played as the villain or anti-hero taking over the world. So what's your thought about it?
    I don't know how good a movie would be when the main antagonist is taken out in the first 20 minutes.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    I don't know how good a movie would be when the main antagonist is taken out in the first 20 minutes.
    Why would she be taken out in the first 20 minutes? I feel like you are referencing something here, but I don't get it.


    Anyways, there is absolutely no way you could put her as an anti-hero, but as a straight up villain? Yeah, I think she'd make for a good, if cheesy, D&D movie villain.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    To be frank, she sounds awful as antagonist in a non-interactive story. She is pretty much designed as a high-level D&D encounter, not as villain for a movie. She is very well designed in that regard, being visually and mechanically interesting. Your high-level adventuring party will love fighting her. But that also entails that she is a most generic villain that can be plugged into almost any campaign as a challenge, but not as antagonist to carry a story. She is just out there to conquer the world. For the evulz. She cannot have a believable relationship with any other characters or elements of a story, because she is a giant evil dragon Goddess that just hates everything that is not a giant evil dragon Goddess.

    Now, there are of course plenty of movies where the hero just beats up a giant monster that has no further influence on the story than being a giant monster that the hero has to overcome. Those are mostly movies about the hero, where the final antagonist could be pretty much anything (This often happens in origin stories, specifically). Tiamat could function nicely as such a monster. But I guess that is not the kind of movie you are thinking about?

    Or we could go into Kaiju. Now, that would be interesting…

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    To be frank, she sounds awful as antagonist in a non-interactive story. She is pretty much designed as a high-level D&D encounter, not as villain for a movie. She is very well designed in that regard, being visually and mechanically interesting. Your high-level adventuring party will love fighting her. But that also entails that she is a most generic villain that can be plugged into almost any campaign as a challenge, but not as antagonist to carry a story. She is just out there to conquer the world. For the evulz. She cannot have a believable relationship with any other characters or elements of a story, because she is a giant evil dragon Goddess that just hates everything that is not a giant evil dragon Goddess.

    Now, there are of course plenty of movies where the hero just beats up a giant monster that has no further influence on the story than being a giant monster that the hero has to overcome. Those are mostly movies about the hero, where the final antagonist could be pretty much anything (This often happens in origin stories, specifically). Tiamat could function nicely as such a monster. But I guess that is not the kind of movie you are thinking about?

    Or we could go into Kaiju. Now, that would be interesting…
    What if she was like the ancient black dragon from OOTS, taking revenge for her murdered kindred? The protagonist could be an empathic young adventurer with a connection to dragons. He or she could rally all of dragonkind to prevent Tiamat from destroying a major city or something. Just a thought.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

    * Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    How about a version of the D&D animated series from her viewpoint?

    We always assumed it was chance that brought the kids to the Realm, what if Tiamat herself summoned them?

    Dungeon Master's son has been corrupted to the darkside, his eldritch master is poised to seize total power the only force left is Tiamat and she isn't interested in relinquishing her access to the Prime Material Plane.

    She has access to the Dragon's Graveyard where those magical items the kids received are greatly enhanced by and I suspect their point of origin.

    SHE provided the dungeon master with access to them so he chose the items they received and don't you think it odd every time she turns up no matter the situation she really isn't interested in killing the children and actually helped them that time when they wanted to defeat Venger and almost did?

    She wasn't angry they didn't go through with that and certainly didn't have problems with them helping the Dungeon Master improves things in the Realms as far as she is concerned that helps HER too!

    Now imagine a movie with that revelation in mind!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Make it about her terrible relationship as a helicopter Mom with her 5 kids. Each kid dealt with the dysfunction in their own way; White move to Alaska, Blue goes to Burning Man every year, Red became a hoarder, Black does acid, and Green is a park ranger.

    When they here Mom is dying they have to take their kids to visit her one last time, and she attempts to use the will into manipulating them to conquer the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Make it a mother of monsters story where there are Dragons which are her children's in a world of humans.

    But also there is Tiamat, and Tiamat is in multiple places at once for she can craft 5 unique personalities as simulacrums-spawn that she shares collective knowledge with. Thus Tiamat can be in 6 places at once, but the 5 spawn are much weaker than the "god" aspect of Tiamat. Each of the 5 simulacrums have their own unique personality and unique nature, and once you kill them it does not stop the treat for Tiamat can just keep on respawning them like a incarnation generator.

    Oh also these Tiamat simulacrums are also shapechangers unlike most of the Colored aka Evil Dragons and unlike the Metal aka Good Dragons who naturally shapechange.

    -----

    This is a world of monsters, but there is also a mother of monsters and the mother is now different than she was before for she is now creating a unique form of spawn. Thus this is an age of monster, but also an age of heroes.

    Make this a streaming tv show and not a movie.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I just thought of something D&D Tiamat the Dragon Queen Deity Of Evil Dragonkind should have her own movie.
    Why? Sell me on it. Assume I know who she is but not much else. Why do I want to pay 8 bucks to go see this movie?
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    tongue Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Why? Sell me on it. Assume I know who she is but not much else. Why do I want to pay 8 bucks to go see this movie?
    She can do that pose that Ghidorah did in King of the Monsters. You know, the one next to the cross on the volcano that looked like a metal album cover? BUT! She would have 5 heads!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Why? Sell me on it. Assume I know who she is but not much else. Why do I want to pay 8 bucks to go see this movie?
    So you rather play the full price instead of a matinee?

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    So you rather play the full price instead of a matinee?
    8 bucks is the matinee price in some places. But they're not asking about price, it's more of a "why should i spend any of my money on this" question. Your OP didn't give any details on why you think it would make a good movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    8 bucks is the matinee price in some places. But they're not asking about price, it's more of a "why should i spend any of my money on this" question. Your OP didn't give any details on why you think it would make a good movie.
    Because Tiamat is iconic. She should have her own movie talking about her life.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Talakeal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    A place near Boulder.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    So you rather play the full price instead of a matinee?
    Where do you live? I pay 11 for a matinee up here.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Because Tiamat is iconic.
    Nope. I said to assume I know who she is but not much else. Can't go with "iconic."
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Where do you live? I pay 11 for a matinee up here.
    I live in New Yorn, New York USA and I pay $8 for a matinee where I live at.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    I mean, if you want this to be like a fictional biopic... I don't think you'll get many people into the theatre that aren't already D&D geeks, and a good chunk of them wouldn't even bother.

    This would bomb harder than the oogieloves.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Talakeal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    A place near Boulder.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I live in New Yorn, New York USA and I pay $8 for a matinee where I live at.
    Wow. Yeah, I just double checked, an adult matinee at my local theatre here in Colorado is 10.75 a person.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bohandas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Make it about her terrible relationship as a helicopter Mom with her 5 kids. Each kid dealt with the dysfunction in their own way; White move to Alaska, Blue goes to Burning Man every year, Red became a hoarder, Black does acid, and Green is a park ranger.

    When they here Mom is dying they have to take their kids to visit her one last time, and she attempts to use the will into manipulating them to conquer the world.
    I would watch this

    Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    Or we could go into Kaiju. Now, that would be interesting…
    I'd watch this too.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-10-20 at 02:17 AM.
    Omegaupdate Forum

    WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

    PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

    Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

    Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

    If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. -Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5, Scene 1

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Brother Oni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cippa's River Meadow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Wow. Yeah, I just double checked, an adult matinee at my local theatre here in Colorado is 10.75 a person.
    At my local chain cinema, tickets start at 9.25 GBP, making them just over 12 USD. No discount for matinees.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    I mean, if you want this to be like a fictional biopic... I don't think you'll get many people into the theatre that aren't already D&D geeks, and a good chunk of them wouldn't even bother.

    This would bomb harder than the oogieloves.
    Yes, I don't think even that many D&D fans consider Tiamat to be particularly iconic. She's an evil multi-headed dragon deity. D&D deities as a rule don't do a lot, they just are. Tiamat might be an enemy in a very high-level campaign, but how many campaigns get there?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Tiamat might be an enemy in a very high-level campaign, but how many campaigns get there?
    And how many other campaigns are there, even discounting the chunk that makes their own?

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lvl 2 Expert's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tulips Cheese & Rock&Roll
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nope. I said to assume I know who she is but not much else. Can't go with "iconic."
    Maybe I can rephrase the question: Why should an average person go see this hypothetical Tiamat movie rather than Jason Statham Punches A Giant Alligator, Godzilla 108: Revenge Of Varan or Spiderman X: The Avengers Are Evil? If I was a big shot produver/investor, why would Tiamat be my ticket to succes? What makes her such a great story opportunity in the effects movie section?

    But yeah, I'd watch the version where black does acid too.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JoshL's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    The 5e Tyrrany of Dragons storyline would make for a pretty fun series. You couldn't tell it all in a single movie, but over a couple movies or as a big budget tv series, it could work pretty well!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Tiamat the Dragon Queen Deity Of Evil Dragonkind should have her own movie.
    No, she really shouldn't.

    That's like saying the Kraken should have his own movie instead of just being a big monster for the last ten minutes of Clash of the Titans. It's like saying the Iceberg should have its own movie instead of just being the immovable obstacle that sinks the Titanic. Maybe the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man can have his own movie, too? Or perhaps a movie where Galactus just goes around eating planets with no pesky super heroes to get in his way?

    Wait, I know, a movie where a volcano erupts and nobody is in danger and nothing else happens! I'm a theatrical genius!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    Watch me draw and swear at video games.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    No, she really shouldn't.

    That's like saying the Kraken should have his own movie instead of just being a big monster for the last ten minutes of Clash of the Titans. It's like saying the Iceberg should have its own movie instead of just being the immovable obstacle that sinks the Titanic. Maybe the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man can have his own movie, too? Or perhaps a movie where Galactus just goes around eating planets with no pesky super heroes to get in his way?

    Wait, I know, a movie where a volcano erupts and nobody is in danger and nothing else happens! I'm a theatrical genius!
    I would watch totally watch a story about the daily life of the Kraken. Also I'm pretty sure the volcano has been made as a documentary. Also a Magic School Bus episode.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    No, she really shouldn't.

    That's like saying the Kraken should have his own movie instead of just being a big monster for the last ten minutes of Clash of the Titans.

    Wait, I know, a movie where a volcano erupts and nobody is in danger and nothing else happens! I'm a theatrical genius!
    You are right the Kraken should not get any more stinking movies . Instead Cetus should have gotten that movie role opposite Perseus in Clash of the Titans. I mean seriously the Kraken and Leviathan gets all the respect and no one even knows the name of Cetus! Cetus the dragon fish as big as a whale and no one knows its name.

    Cetus should fire its agent and hire Princess Carolyne in order to get those Hollywoo dollars!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Material Plane
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Well, Tiamat would be a good villain for a D&D-movie about powerful (ie. high level) adventurers. A huge, mean, giant dragon with five frickin' heads, all shooting different energy beams fighting heroes? That should be a spectacle if done right.

    But a whole movie about an evil, insanely powerful dragon? Eh, I don't see it how it could work.

    Besides, someone like Elminster would be a more probable pick for a protagonist among the already existing world famous D&D-characters.
    Signatures are so 90's.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    No, she really shouldn't.

    That's like saying the Kraken should have his own movie instead of just being a big monster for the last ten minutes of Clash of the Titans. It's like saying the Iceberg should have its own movie instead of just being the immovable obstacle that sinks the Titanic. Maybe the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man can have his own movie, too? Or perhaps a movie where Galactus just goes around eating planets with no pesky super heroes to get in his way?

    Wait, I know, a movie where a volcano erupts and nobody is in danger and nothing else happens! I'm a theatrical genius!
    A movie that shows the titanic sinking and then segues into the life cycle of an ice mountain and global warming would actually be pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Tiamat Should Have Her Own Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    A movie that shows the titanic sinking and then segues into the life cycle of an ice mountain and global warming would actually be pretty cool.
    That's the first pitch I've heard for a Titanic Sequel that I could actually get behind.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •