Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting OOC

Greetings OdeMX and RangerBob, and welcome back to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you both shall take on the roles of an intrepid Investigators of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now that you've understood the freeform investigating aspects of the game, having played the first starter set adventure. Prepare to journey onto your first cooperative scenario -- The Haunting! This is a mystery set in 1921 where you both shall be present. I may very rarely make small notes at the bottom of my posts, but these will most likely be just requests for rolls or clarifications of what exactly you're doing!

Anyway, without further ado, grab a blanket, tuck yourself in, eat some yummy snacks, and join the In-Character!

Spoiler: Useful Repository of Video Links
    Show
    Introduction: Seth CJ
    Skills and Characteristics: Seth CJ
    Recovery and Improvement: Seth CJ
    Sanity: Seth CJ

Also your character sheets should be here (Guido) and here (Everett)
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 12:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: OdeMX's and RangerBob's The Haunting OOC

Hello zingbobco000 and RangerBob, have been busy all day. But Ill try and keep up with you both guys, I have great expectationad and been wanted to play "The Haunting" since everyone @ r/callofCthulhu recommends it.

Here we go!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Basically, who else do you guys want to go with you? To recap there's:
    Jessie Williams, a 20-year-old History Student at Miskatonic University
    Dr. Nevada Jones, a 35-year-old Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University
    Lois Russo, a 19-year-old Engineering Student at Miskatonic University
    Dr. Wentworth Avebury, a 58-year-old Languages Professor at Miskatonic University

Of course, you could decide to take nobody, and just go alone. Either way, the options are limitlessed!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I vote for Dr. Jones 1st and my 2nd choice would be Dr. Wentworth

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lois would be my first choice, followed by Dr. Jones. If we want to find a sort of middle ground, I suppose we can go with Jones.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, accidentally miscolored the text, that's edited now, my bad!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OdeMx View Post
    Psycology roll []
    ???

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Sorry, playing from the phone and I'm having some issues

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Can you both please answer the following question for me? You may also answer in a spoiler if you think that such an answer should be private (up to you, personally, I'd answer privately, but I enjoy showing instead of telling with my fellow players [again, completely personal preference, utterly up to you]). Where did your character come from? We've established that they were born in Providence, RI, but have they stayed there for their entire childhoods? Consider their initial roots, before they were a teenager. These times are what shaped them the most. Who were their parents? Where else did they live other than Plymouth, NH and Providence, RI if anywhere? What were their families' economic and social statuses? How were they educated? Finally, what were the three most important lessons they learned from their childhood?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Where did your character come from? but have they stayed there for their entire childhoods? Consider their initial roots, before they were a teenager. These times are what shaped them the most.
    Since Guido can remember, he has always worked at the family store either cleaning, attending, carrying bags and especially working the inventory.

Who were their parents?
    Guido Parents where immigrants from Sicily, with the little money they carried, they stablished a General goods store and they still alive.

Where else did they live other than Plymouth, NH and Providence, RI if anywhere?
    Guido has lived his entire life in Providence.

What were their families' economic and social statuses?
    His family is full of merchants, they could sell stones to a quarry, they have never been rich, but they have worked every day in their life.

How were they educated?
    Guido attended high school vocational training and voluntered at the providence library, thats where he obtained his love and knowledge as a map and books antiquarian.

Finally, what were the three most important lessons they learned from their childhood?
    -Learn from everything, school, books, picking a fight, running from a fight or a bonfire!
    -Being smart can be as useful as being big and strong, work the mind as a muscle.
    -Everything can be sold

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Everett has lived most of his life in Providence, moving at a very young age from Boston, Massachusetts. He has always been a somewhat independent person, spending a lot of time outside the house, which his parents supported him in. They were a relatively average middle class family, his father a fiction author and his mother a photographer. Everett graduated from high school and spent the rest of his time out in the journalistic field.
    He learned many lessons in these past years...
    Never hesitate to ask questions, you never know what you might miss without. You won't always have someone to care for you, learn to care for yourself. Finally... don't forget to take notes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For reference Ranger, Guido's Library Use skill is 60, which means that he got a Hard success.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob0011 View Post
    Finally... don't forget to take notes.
    Huh... maybe these (Ranger) could (Ode) be useful?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You do still have the Bonus Die. Also, be warned, generally you don't want to spend your entire day investigating, that can be quite tiring and leave little room for rest, sleep, etc... This is akin to the real world after all.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just realized I messed up and the difficulty should be Hard, not Extreme. Everett still sadly didn’t pass, but it’s something important to note.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

My assigned google notes doc (aka Guidos Journal) has been updated.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Cool! Again, it's just advice from me to keep notes. It is, in no way, required.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I do have another question for both of you though (you can still answer in spoilers if you see fit): When did each of your characters grow up? Everyone begins taking responsibility for their own lives at different times and in different ways. Were there any specific events related to when your character started taking care of themselves?

Also, can both of you please post in the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained when you are normally available to post and what timezone you're in? That way I can coordinate between other players to create the most optimal groups.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    I do have another question for both of you though (you can still answer in spoilers if you see fit): When did each of your characters grow up? Everyone begins taking responsibility for their own lives at different times and in different ways. Were there any specific events related to when your character started taking care of themselves?

Guido has taken care of himself since his early teens, when he realized that attending the Family Grocery Store wasn’t his dream life, and started saving every penny he could in order to buy antique books and documents from locals and then sell them to city Stores, that’s how he got his Arkham Rare Books and Maps job. But the day he boarded the bus to and no one went to say good bye, was the day he understood he was the only one in charge of taking care of himself.

So he has been independent since his teens but hadn’t realized that until he left town.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Done

My time Zone and Posting time:

when you are normally available to post
    Weekdays 10am CST, 4:30pm CST and 9pm to 10:30pm CST
    Weekends 6am-8am CST and random times during the day

and what timezone you're in?
    GMT -6:00 CST US, Canada, Mexico and Monterrey.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Everett has spent most of his childhood in Providence, considering that more so his home than Boston, where he was born. He was always relatively independent in his late childhood throughout his teenage years, with parents who supported said independence. Over time, Everett gradually grew further apart from the rest of his family, one event never wholly attributing to it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A reminder that I said, or, not both. In addition, if my post is in a spoiler, just like in the beginning, that means I would like for you to respond in a spoiler.

I'm assuming that you'd take Appearance so I'll use the 37 for that, but in the future, just keep all this in mind.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-23 at 01:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Oh, my bad. I probably would've gone with Appearance anyways in the first place. I'll edit the post and put it in a spoiler.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, thanks. That's also what I figured, so you're all good.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Reminder to OdeMX that when I mean Spoil all content that Ranger might not be able to see I do mean all content.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Oh muy bad!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Reminder to OdeMX that when I mean Spoil all content that Ranger might not be able to see I do mean all content.
    Again... this.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, next question: What values do your characters hold? Name a couple of things each of your characters considers sacred, and a couple of things they're ideologically opposed to. These things will usually stem from a combination of your goals and your personal histories. Consider especially where the values came from as well. Were they taught these values? Did these values develop as a reaction to something your character considered noble or diabolical? Establish lines that your characters will not cross in pursuit of their goals just to kinda help me out a bit. Again you may put this in a spoiler or not, up to you.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Name a couple of things each of your characters considers sacred
    Freedom to express an opinion and exercise a profession, regardless of background, traditions or prejudices.
    • Keep promises and commitments

Name a couple of things they're ideologically opposed to.
    Oppression
    • Taking advantage of helpless people

Consider especially where the values came from as well, Were they taught these values?

After his family started considering him a failure for deciding to stay away from the family merchant tradition, instead of seeing his antiquarian knowledge at least as another form of commercial trade, instead of submitting to his parents impositions he became more independent and learned to fight for his values.

Guido wouldn’t hurt the people that are associated with him or that he considers his friends, in this case his only friends are the ones related to “The Society”

Im going to be traveling a lot for starting tomorrow morning, but I will try to reply during airport downtimes and late nights.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thanks! Those work great, and I completely understand regarding travel, hope it goes ok!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Recall that a Bonus Die is a d10, not a d100.