Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 206
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Divinity pretty clearly expects save scumming, and they ran with it. I can see why it wouldn't be to somebody's tastes, especially if they want to get a "perfect" playthrough without using a guide, but its definitely a feature, not a bug. If you lose in a fight (say, one where you get ambushed by a bunch of earth-and-fire-immune monsters, cough cough) when you die the first time, they want you to be able to go back and train your fire wizard to blast ice instead, and then win the fight that way.
    I'll also note I found the game perfectly easy on a casual playthrough on a low difficulty, almost to the point I considered increasing it.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Anco's Jump Jet on the Atari ST, it was (reduced to?) £5 and still a rip off.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-10-21 at 09:46 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    I have actually played Limbo of the Lost, just to see what the fuss is about.

    It was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    I have actually played Limbo of the Lost, just to see what the fuss is about.

    It was bad.
    Most of the fuss about the game wasn't due to it being bad (although it was pretty terrible, true--I mean, you put a monster to sleep using a potion made from his own snot? How does that make any sort of sense, especially since said monster was already asleep before you fed him the potion?) but due to its liberal usage of stolen assets from other games, as I recall.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Most of the fuss about the game wasn't due to it being bad (although it was pretty terrible, true--I mean, you put a monster to sleep using a potion made from his own snot? How does that make any sort of sense, especially since said monster was already asleep before you fed him the potion?) but due to its liberal usage of stolen assets from other games, as I recall.
    Most of the assets were plagiarized indeed. (and the main reason for the infamy) Gameplaywise it was even worse, as it was a pixel-hunt adventure game that made moon-logic sierra games look sensible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Brother Oni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cippa's River Meadow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Since this is an opinion thread...

    Anthem - after spending a couple hours of downloading the demo, the game wouldn't even start. Half an hour googling later revealed that the game doesn't support my quad-core processor; this isn't mentioned in any of the spec information and was buried in the depths of the game's hardware problems sub-forum.

    Mario Kart - I absolutely loathe the game design decision to make all races as close as possible to keep the entertainment up, from the lead position only ever getting bananas and other weak power-ups, to the sheer [redacted] that is the blue shell and complete non-explanation of game mechanics (mini turbo turns, turbo boosting off the race line, etc).

    Super Smash Brothers - ropey controls, camera interfering with your ability to keep track of what your character is doing, no explanation as to what each powerup does or how they work, sheer RNG of the powerups... I honestly couldn't think of a worse fighting game and I've played the original Streetfighter with the pressure sensitive punch and kick buttons.


    As an anecdote as to how bad the above two games were, my son got a Switch with both games for Christmas and Spiderman for the PS4 from his uncle. After about 2-3 days, I got kicked off the PS4 to let him play Spiderman instead (I was playing my Christmas present of AC Odyssey).

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Pillars of Eternity - now hear me out before you take out your pitch forks. I am incredibly picky when it comes to controls (they're passable) and presentation (not only graphics but mainly). Pillars did not hook with its story in the beginning. It did not amaze me with the character building nor with anything else. It is just standard RPG stuff. Stuff I played on pen and paper before, in a better form.

    Also Tyranny but mainly because I expected an game ala Spellforce where you move the evil armies. Instead you got an "choose your preferred evil" adventure book. I am not one for choose your own adventure. The novelty has worn off (yes I am aware I recommended Stories: Path of Destinies before, that is because it was done really WELL in that game). I'm just not the type to replay games 5 times to get all endings.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Black&White : Glorious ideas, godawful execution.

    Moving objects 6D ( 3 space dimensions and 3 rotational ones) with a 2D mouse and extra clunky.

    Horrible creature interface. Tried to pet my creature for spellcasting. It farted when I entered the interaction screen. From then on it always farted if i interacted with it. That made me throw the game for my second try i gave it, because "surely it could not have been that bad and maybe its playable with my now faster hardware".

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    I once heard Black and White described as a third-rate RTS combined with a Tamagotchi, and having played it, I can't find much to fault with that assessment. I did once see a very funny forum thread about it where someone had leashed his creature to a friendly "good" creature in one of the missions, assuming that it would learn only good habits, only to find that it had acquired the unbreakable urge to poop whenever it saw friendly villagers!

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    I remember that hype. And the actual game turning out to be pretty bad.

    Which I think is how it always works with Molyneaux games.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

    Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I remember that hype. And the actual game turning out to be pretty bad.

    Which I think is how it always works with Molyneaux games.
    I haven't played most of Molyneaux's oeuvre, aside from the first Fable. Which, while I wouldn't call it "bad", the mechanics it had to differentiate itself rang pretty hollow. Rather than integrating you into the world and giving you a sense of moral agency with a morality meter, houses, and a spouse, you mostly just feel like the bog standard murderhobo but given more opportunities to dumbly troll the NPCs.

    I understand they get more disappointing as the series goes on.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danzibr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Back forty.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    I think the worst of the worst is RPG Maker junk you can get on Steam. Or just download from random website.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Which I think is how it always works with Molyneaux games.
    I think Molyneaux games would be fine if they would only tie him up somewhere and not let him speak to anyone during the development phase. He's always promising fantastic features that somehow never make it into the final game--he was Sean Murray long before No Man's Sky was even a design document.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Master of Orion III.

    I played it for weeks, trying to get into it, because I loved MOO2 so bad.

    It wasn't the cringing threats in the diplomacy that got me.

    It wasn't that my fleet would vent out all its missiles (anti-ship *and* counter-missiles!) in one fell swoop that would wander the field of battle seeking the enemy fleet.

    It wasn't that my fleets that had a mix of types would run into beam range to use their beams and die horribly (to be absolutely fair, that was mostly on me).

    It wasn't I couldn't figure out which world the gas-world entity powered armor regiment came from (because, to be fair, that's hilarious, I just wanted more).

    It wasn't just the horrific interface.

    It's all that, plus I was pushing an enemy down the starline, and they disappeared, only to reappear later much, much farther along the starline with a different color and apparently a completely different personality, and the intervening colonies had just vanished.

    After that, I was done.

    Though a friend of a friend gave it much, much less time than I did. He had taken the day off launch day, installed, played, and then just went in to work.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    I had a lot of fun with Black and White as a creature simulator. The problem with it was that they welded this weird god game/RTS "thing" to it. I think Molyneux would have done a lot better not having opposing factions and simply focusing on making the creature a more complete experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    Master of Orion III.

    I played it for weeks, trying to get into it, because I loved MOO2 so bad.

    It wasn't the cringing threats in the diplomacy that got me.

    It wasn't that my fleet would vent out all its missiles (anti-ship *and* counter-missiles!) in one fell swoop that would wander the field of battle seeking the enemy fleet.

    It wasn't that my fleets that had a mix of types would run into beam range to use their beams and die horribly (to be absolutely fair, that was mostly on me).

    It wasn't I couldn't figure out which world the gas-world entity powered armor regiment came from (because, to be fair, that's hilarious, I just wanted more).

    It wasn't just the horrific interface.

    It's all that, plus I was pushing an enemy down the starline, and they disappeared, only to reappear later much, much farther along the starline with a different color and apparently a completely different personality, and the intervening colonies had just vanished.

    After that, I was done.

    Though a friend of a friend gave it much, much less time than I did. He had taken the day off launch day, installed, played, and then just went in to work.
    Ninja'd for the one I wanted to add. MOO3 easily wins my "most disappointing" award, as the developers promised the moon and released a broken down set of spreadsheets. Other games have disappointed, but they were always from developers where I knew to keep one eye on them. The failure of MOO3 was so complete and so unexpected it still rankles to this day.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Elemental: War of Magic. Not because it was a bad game, it wasn't, it was actually really damn fun, but it was incredibly incomplete, and the developers(Stardock) decided that it was just to much work to try to fix it via patches, so they just gave up on it. Game had an immense amount of potential, but fell woefully short because of their publishers wanted the game out waaaayyy before Stardock was ready for it come out.

    Fallen Enchantress also suffered from this, but they actually stuck with it and managed to mostly fix it via patches. Their next game though, Sorcerer Kings wasn't nearly as good, and even with their patches I don't really feel like it ever made it's way into "Fun game" territory. And trying to install community made patches/mods is quite a trial(took me several hours and messaging back and forth with the creator of a major mod/patcher who knew how to incorporate all the major community made patch fixes), and actually puts enough stress on the engine that the game stops working after an hour or two, and after that you have to start a new one because your save file will no longer load or crash shortly after loading.

    So yeah, Elemental and Sorcerer Kings ><.

    Edit: Clearly I'm getting old and senile, because I totally forgot the absolute worst game I've ever played: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Worst freaking game in the history of games as far as I'm concerned ><.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2019-10-22 at 06:19 PM.
    Avatar is Chaos Devil Dragon from Puzzle & Dragons!

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Ninja'd for the one I wanted to add. MOO3 easily wins my "most disappointing" award, as the developers promised the moon and released a broken down set of spreadsheets. Other games have disappointed, but they were always from developers where I knew to keep one eye on them. The failure of MOO3 was so complete and so unexpected it still rankles to this day.
    I thought about nominating MOO3, but for some reason it didn't leave as bad a taste in my memory as NWN2 or HOMM5.

    I agree, it was a horrible letdown from the glory that was MOO2 (which I still play, occasionally). But I think I rationalised it as simply an overload of micromanagement, and thought that if only I had the patience and the attention, it might be perfectly fine. So that was on me.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I thought about nominating MOO3, but for some reason it didn't leave as bad a taste in my memory as NWN2 or HOMM5.

    I agree, it was a horrible letdown from the glory that was MOO2 (which I still play, occasionally). But I think I rationalised it as simply an overload of micromanagement, and thought that if only I had the patience and the attention, it might be perfectly fine. So that was on me.
    Hmm, I had totally forgotten about NWN2, though for me it really falls more into the same territory as Fallen Enchantress. NWN2 was literally unplayable at the start for almost everyone that had pre-ordered the game(like me). We got a black screen of death that we had to reset our computers to get out of. It wasn't even particularly playable until the 6th patch(1.6) and wasn't free of most of the bugs until 1.11, and then they broke the entire game again at either 1.12 or 1.13, which was kinda funny. Then they brought out the first expansion(pretty sure it got two, Masks of Betrayer and another one) and it got significantly better, and by the time they stopped patching the game after the 2nd x-pac release, it was honestly quite enjoyable, I did a playthrough about 2 years ago and it was quite smooth and fun.

    HOMM5 is such a divisive game, but honestly I feel HOMM4 is where the series took a turn for the worst. They completely changed everything about the game from 3 to 4, from how many monster buildings you got in a castle, to the fact that they replenished per day instead of per week, or how about the fact that the skills were entirely different and you got different classes based on which skills you got. Or the fact that your heroes literally fought with your monsters, and if you leveled them up enough there was literally no point in having monsters in your army, as a full roster of heroes that were well leveled and equipped were far beyond even an entire army of level 4 creatures(which were the highest).

    Then of course the monsters moved, so if you were within range of them, you were getting attacked during the time between turns, which could often be disastrous.

    A multitude of other issues/changes/frustrations with HOMM4 that I don't feel like getting into as this post would end up becoming a book. The game was alright, even fun at times, but it was NOT a HOMM game at all, despite bearing the name.

    HOMM6 is a game that I can't stand, like 4 it changed a lot about how the game played, and even got rid of multiple resources, and allowed you to convert castles to your primary one, which took a lot of strategy out of the game(You no longer have to worry about how mixing troops from other castles affect your army morale, don't have to possibly waste a skill or an artifact slot to boost said morale to offset mixing). Heroes were once again drastically altered, as were how their skills functioned and were chosen. I spent maybe a dozen hours playing the game and couldn't freaking stand it. Another HOMM game that was HOMM only in title.

    At least HOMM5 had all the classic elements of 1-3, just 3d animation and more skills. Granted the creature balancing was a bit off, but the game was still fun, and I'm pretty sure you could get a few unofficial patches to fix up the balancing issues. There was no fixing of 4 or 6, no matter what kind of mods you downloaded.
    Avatar is Chaos Devil Dragon from Puzzle & Dragons!

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    HOMM5 is such a divisive game, but honestly I feel HOMM4 is where the series took a turn for the worst.
    A lot of people thought that, but I disagree. 4 was a radical change in gameplay, most importantly in putting the hero directly into battle, but it was recognisably the same setting and basically the same game, just with more emphasis on the hero. (I particularly enjoyed playing the barbarian campaign with no troops at all in the later stages.) Above all, it had the minimalistic but absorbing (text-based) storytelling of the earlier games.

    HOMM5 replaced that with cutscenes. Scenes that took forever to watch, were badly voiced, badly animated, badly written and managed to highlight the absurdly bad costume and monster design. Combined with the glacial speed at which heroes moved around the map, it killed my interest by the time I finished the tutorial.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    NWN2 was literally unplayable at the start for almost everyone that had pre-ordered the game(like me). We got a black screen of death that we had to reset our computers to get out of.
    If we're going to call games the worst because they were buggy on release then we'd have to include the likes of Half-Life 2! When that game came out it just didn't work properly with Soundblaster sound cards, at the time the most popular ones around, to the extent that I was literally getting "bluescreen and reset computer" every ten minutes when I got to the city section at the end. The fact I pushed through and finished the game despite that shows why it definitely doesn't belong on any worst game list! (The game is a lot more stable nowadays, obviously, they've had 15 years to refine the Source engine).

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    I completely forgot about that. That Episode 1 game was awful, but I completed it.

    NWN2 was so terrible that I think it's the only game I ever ragequit. The writing for the party members was the most offensive writing aside from hate speech that I've ever seen.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

    Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I haven't played most of Molyneaux's oeuvre, aside from the first Fable. Which, while I wouldn't call it "bad", the mechanics it had to differentiate itself rang pretty hollow. Rather than integrating you into the world and giving you a sense of moral agency with a morality meter, houses, and a spouse, you mostly just feel like the bog standard murderhobo but given more opportunities to dumbly troll the NPCs.

    I understand they get more disappointing as the series goes on.
    To jump in at that angle again. Fable was released when I was 16. I had just gotten Morrowind, a game which I read about and was extremely happy with. Fable was already eclipsed by World of Warcraft's release and honestly, I always feel like games' journalists need to be more cynical like Totalbiscuit. Of course they'd add to the hype when a game releases because it means they sell their publication for people still unsure to buy these expensive games.

    And Molyneux (written without an a by the way) was already known to the public as someone who incredibly overstated his promises. So it felt weird to me that people believed in all that hubbub he promised about Fable. When I played it as a bargain bin game a year later, I was entertained, if only for a single evening.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If we're going to call games the worst because they were buggy on release then we'd have to include the likes of Half-Life 2! When that game came out it just didn't work properly with Soundblaster sound cards, at the time the most popular ones around, to the extent that I was literally getting "bluescreen and reset computer" every ten minutes when I got to the city section at the end. The fact I pushed through and finished the game despite that shows why it definitely doesn't belong on any worst game list! (The game is a lot more stable nowadays, obviously, they've had 15 years to refine the Source engine).
    Then Stalker Clear Sky should also be on the list. The game per se was good (although they removed the scarcity of goods that characterised the first game, and they modified the damage formula turning enemies into bullet sponges), but it was plagued by just so many bugs. The game crashed often, and, while it included dynamic combat between factions, it was so badly implemented, that it could be effectively impossible to win. The game also reused a lot of levels from the previous game, but putting different quests on them, which didn't really use the strengths of the maps. And there was a scripted moment in which you simply had to lose your whole equipment and your money. While you could recover your equipment fighting an unfair fight, your money was gone forever and without warning. It also wasn't a special moment in the story, it just sort of happened. The final part was short and underwhelming.

    You also were incentivised not to do certain sidequests. For example, there was a walled compound with neutral stalkers in it, and, nearby, there was a sewer entrance from which brigands emerged and attacked the compound. Both groups respawned, which meant that the fighting would be constant. A quest required you to end the brigand invasion. However, if you didn't, you had an endless stream of dead bodies to loot, which meant endless money, because there was a merchant in a safe location the compound. You could buy yourself the best armour and get the best upgrades for your weapons, as long as you didn't complete the quest. And, since the fighting was actually great, it wasn't even boring.

    This is the thing with Clear Sky, it's actually a game where you explore and you shoot things that shoot back at you, and it did both things wonderfully. It also added the artefact detector, a great way to enhance artefact hunting, and incentivised just going out on the map and having fun in a dynamic world. But it also was made in haste, and it really shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    I'll add voice to just plain hating Neverwinter Nights 2. I stuck it out to the end only for it to be...just one of the worst endings of a game I could ever hope to see. The DLC apparently fixed this, but it's a pretty soul sucking business practice and I can't support it. Hating every single NPC didn't help, special loathing goes to the Gnome who I never used for being just the worst companion in an RPG ever. When you make your Bard spoony and silly and goofy, that's annoying and cliche. When you add "GNOME" to the mix, and all their cliches, it's just unbearable. Bishop, your human Ranger, was also really bad as the only actual evil party member. I kept asking why he had to be on the team whe I knew he was going to betray us. Only for him to betray us.

    Mass Effect 1...certainly gets on the list with the Mako. Some of the writing is good but overall I was really unimpressed. Two was fine, certainly the best of the trilogy, and I outright resented 3. The ending of the story not included. Not the worst games mechanically (other than the Mako), but worst in terms of investment to payout. One was clunky, slow and had the Mako. Two changed the combat, for the better imho, but it showed that no one was at the helm of wold building or trying to actually figure out where the hell the story was going. It was all just kinda thrown together. The characters were the best here though, so it made up for it. Three was just boring. Tying the best ending to having to play the multiplayer was the signal that EA had ruined what good Bioware had. The multiplayer itself was...ok. My friends all played so it was fun to play with them but it was clear EA and Bioware didn't actually care to make it a fun experience. Every new content update created more bugs. Bugs that never got fixed. Ever. We once had a match where a Geth Juggernaught walked off the map, into the sky. It took thirty minutes for it to walk so far into the sky we couldn't see it anymore. We stayed to see what would happen. Keep in mind that the matches were how you got the currency to get more gear and unlock classes. We couldn't beat the game we'd invested time in because we couldn't kill the Ascendant Geth so we just wasted our time. By the time we all quit, three or four out of ten games ended in similar, if way less amusing, situations. Either we didn't get the credit for winning or the game would crash and kick us to the lobby and not count or any other number of problems.

    I could probably dredge up some older games but most of the bad ones I've just plain forgotten. In modern games...I think one of my least favorite and overall worst games is Undertale. The writing was awful, the NPCs were either annoying or trying too hard for a joke. The combat was uninteresting and clunky. I know it was made by one guy but at least when I played I couldn't get a controller to work. Using the arrow keys to move in a bullet hell game isn't great. Give me some mobility please and thank you. Games that try to be cute, like deleting things from the game files or closing the game and needing you to re-open the game, aren't. It's a hassle, it's frustrating and it breaks the flow. If I was enjoying the game, it'd just annoy me because it'd break my immersion. I already know I'm playing a video game, I don't need you to hit me over the head with that fact. When I'm not enjoying the game, it's just incentive not to turn the game on again.

    The only thing Undertale had going for it was the music. As far as that's concerned....A+. Toby Fox has an incredible talent for making music and it shows through the whole of the game. What he can't do is write convincing characters that actually generate emotional connections to people playing the game, which...is a big deal for me in an RPG. If I don't care about the characters, I'm not going to care what happens to them. I'm not invested in them as characters, they're just text on a screen I have to scroll through to get to the next objective. When they're just atrocious, and the dialog box is glacial, it's just torture. There were times I just wanted to end the game, especially when Sans and...I forget the other Skeleton's name is...were around.

    Darkest Dungeon is probably my other mention. Awful RNG, game design choices that intentionally throw salt in your eyes to make the game more difficult simply for the sake of difficulty...cliche ending. The final boss who just outright kills characters without any kind of chance to avoid it. A game that requires you to grind but punishes you for doing so. I backed it on Kickstarter because the idea of an RPG with real, deep psychological aspects appealed to me greatly. That's not what we got with Darkest Dungeon.

    The psychological aspects of the game are covered by malus's you get at the end of adventures. But these malus are assigned randomly. There's no rhythm or reason to them, they're just negative traits for the sake of having malus to various stats and conditions. They're an impediment that doesn't enrich the game other than ticking number boxes. You can remove them in town but those people are out of the fight. So you need to level a few crews, to cycle people in and out while you repair and rest others. That'd be a fine concept as well except if you level too much you can't go into various dungeons. They've got a level range.

    This all ties in with the mental health aspect of the game, where your people can just lose their sanity. Which causes your other characters in the party to lose their sanity. So you can get what was lovingly termed Cascading, where one person drops below the sanity threshold...and then the whole team follows. All because them losing sanity lowers everyone else's. Some characters, as you gain perks, can be alright out of their mind. Most often you just lose turns or attack teammates or other random things you have no control over. Add to this that your damage and health compared to enemy damage and health (not to mention the enemies getting moves that just target your sanity and the resist rates are super low) diverges exponentially, you're always on the backfoot in combat. Combat also uses resources, which are difficult to replenish because you need to do more and often harder combats...and it's just a slow trickle to boredom and frustration. There's lots of other mechanics, like your people just instantly dying from heart attacks, corpses having to be cleared after you kill an enemy in a game where combat is all about positioning so you basically have to kill double the enemies...the list goes on and on. Easily the worst game on principle of what I was expecting and what I got in the end.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-10-23 at 06:55 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Brother Oni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cippa's River Meadow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If we're going to call games the worst because they were buggy on release then we'd have to include the likes of Half-Life 2! When that game came out it just didn't work properly with Soundblaster sound cards, at the time the most popular ones around, to the extent that I was literally getting "bluescreen and reset computer" every ten minutes when I got to the city section at the end. The fact I pushed through and finished the game despite that shows why it definitely doesn't belong on any worst game list! (The game is a lot more stable nowadays, obviously, they've had 15 years to refine the Source engine).
    If we're including games that crashed the computer, then surely Eve Online wins that crown due to the boot.ini incident*?

    Anthem comes a close second as it was reportedly overheating consoles, potentially causing them to brick.


    *For those not aware, there was a patch released with one of the updated files in the staring directory called boot.ini. This is also the file name of a critical Windows file, without which the computer can't start.
    When the patch was applied, it overwrote the Windows boot.ini, therefore many people who had applied the patch and restarted, had to repair/recover their entire operating system (boot disks, external tech support, etc), without the help of their primary device to access the internet to diagnose the issue.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    The NWN2 hate surprises me. The ending was obviously underwhelming and ill-placed (it isn't even a dramatic moment), but I had actually forgotten about it. I also didn't really care much for the oddities of the characters, since you can always leave them home. Back then, I really liked the necropolis where you find the spirits of the armies that fought the Dark Guy in antiquity, and combat just felt good. I loved sending my dwarf champion against the berserker, especially because I had had the party cast each and every buff on him beforehand, to the point that I don't think he was even hurt. What I didn't get was why the silver blade had to be a sword (you should have been offered the chance of turning it into a different kind of weapon), or why a perfectly good dwarven fighter had to become a monk.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Hm - the worst game I ever played. Ever. I suppose the worst game I ever saw was the Knight Rider adaption. But it's a bit of a stretch to say I played it. I installed it, saw how utterly crap it was, and uninstalled it.

    There are games I've actually played despite being hugely disappointed with where the designers decided to take a franchise. Thief 3 for instance is a decent enough game in it's own right, but it's canine feces compared to the first two. Graphically much prettier - but lacking in everything that made the first games good. Which certainly wasn't the graphics.

    Similarly Trine 3 manages to fail entirely at being the fun and engaging experience the first two are.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The NWN2 hate surprises me. The ending was obviously underwhelming and ill-placed (it isn't even a dramatic moment), but I had actually forgotten about it. I also didn't really care much for the oddities of the characters, since you can always leave them home. Back then, I really liked the necropolis where you find the spirits of the armies that fought the Dark Guy in antiquity, and combat just felt good. I loved sending my dwarf champion against the berserker, especially because I had had the party cast each and every buff on him beforehand, to the point that I don't think he was even hurt. What I didn't get was why the silver blade had to be a sword (you should have been offered the chance of turning it into a different kind of weapon), or why a perfectly good dwarven fighter had to become a monk.
    I've been surprised by a lot of the games in this thread. There's games that have some jank but I still enjoyed, and others that are on my best all-time list. Darkest Dungeon tops my "hours played" record in Steam at 444 hours, beating out even the original Dark Souls.

    It just goes to show how wildly opinions can vary.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Cozzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    If we define "worst game" as "worst result, considering the amount of resources and effort that were put into it", then I'm jumping on the Final Fantasy 13 bandwagon. All of that effort, piled on top of basic storytelling and gameplay decisions that were so wrong that the whole experience was miserable from beginning to end, at least for me.

    If we're talking about "worst commercial games, period" then yeah, lots of obscure 5$ RPG Maker games.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Narkis's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

    Mentioning the RPG maker assetfips is cheating, since the thread asks for the "worst game you have ever played", and I don't believe anyone here has played one of those.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •