New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

If I had to pick the single worst game I ever played it would probably be Batman Forever for the SNES.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Decent platformer for the first half of the game, the SNES Jungle Book game then decides to throw the longest freaking auto-scroll level.

As a kid, I could go "alright, some of these levels are weirdly laid out but I could take my time and do them." Even had a decent boss fight VS Kaa the snake.

Not this long as heck autoscroll. frustrated the heck out of me and just chewed through lives/continues, and the end is punctuated by a save point and bossfight... with some deathpit platforming between the two.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

I just bought Rise of the Tomb Raider - and I already hate it with fiery intensity. It's a game of cutscenes interrupted by crafting, or vise versa if you like, and neither thing appeals to me. On the rare occasion I get to play an actual game, it's ... sort of halfway decent.

God I hate crafting.

And cutscenes.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I just bought Rise of the Tomb Raider - and I already hate it with fiery intensity. It's a game of cutscenes interrupted by crafting, or vise versa if you like, and neither thing appeals to me. On the rare occasion I get to play an actual game, it's ... sort of halfway decent.

God I hate crafting.

And cutscenes.
    The crafting gets to be much less of a thing pretty quickly. Not so much the cutscene though. But why would you buy a Tomb Raider game if you hate cutscene? TR games have had lots of them since like Legend, and the reboot trilogy's chockablock with 'em.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    The crafting gets to be much less of a thing pretty quickly. Not so much the cutscene though. But why would you buy a Tomb Raider game if you hate cutscene? TR games have had lots of them since like Legend, and the reboot trilogy's chockablock with 'em.
    Why? Well ... it was cheap, and I liked the first game in the reboot despite the too many cutscenes. And it was very well rated. And I was bored.

But let's be honest - it's not like I went out of my way to buy a TR game, knowing full well it would be a hot cocktail of things I loathe beyond comprehension. More, I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad, but I got schooled =)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    If I had to pick the single worst game I ever played it would probably be Batman Forever for the SNES.
    I'm gonna have to argue with you there, the combat was really

HOLD ON

Seriously I totally agree with you. Apparently the game's engine was originally used for Mortal Kombat. And it was as much a platformer as it

HOLD ON

was a fighter. I hated that I needed to perform the equivalent of a Shoryuken every time I wanted to use a grappling hook. In a place where a wrong

HOLD ON

move could send you to your death.

Oh and the loading screens were annoying too, especially rare to see on the SNES.
    Last edited by Toric; 2020-01-02 at 04:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

One of the worst games I ever played was NARC (2005). I sdmit, I had a morbidly good time with it. NARC is a truly *truly* horrid game but it was not without its share of mindless fun. I equate my time with NARC to eating the most unsatisfying junkfood imagineable.

There was also Two Worlds, but I think TW actually has some redeeming qualities that make it genuinely fun if not very rough.

A game I adored as a child but find absolutely attrocuous now is Sonic Adventure. Even as a game marketed for children that game feels insulting and shoddily developed. Even for its time I think there were better looking games in 1999, which seems to be SA's most fondly remembered quality.
    Last edited by Hagashager; 2020-01-03 at 08:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hagashager View Post
    There was also Two Worlds, but I think TW actually has some redeeming qualities that make it genuinely fun if not very rough.
    If nothing else, the voice acting in that game is a laugh a minute! The confusingly-named Two Worlds 2 is actually a somewhat better game overall, though.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I'm going to nominate Heroes of Might and Magic V, mostly because I loved the whole series up to then but V was tedious and soulless. Even on its own terms it sucked, its interminable cutscenes combining jjuvenile writing with middle-school-level artwork.
    This SO much. Ubisoft ripped out everything good about that series.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If nothing else, the voice acting in that game is a laugh a minute! The confusingly-named Two Worlds 2 is actually a somewhat better game overall, though.
    Two Worlds 2 is one of the two games I know of where you couldn't die (the other being a Tolkein based travesty, I forget the name)?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2020-01-04 at 01:38 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    This SO much. Ubisoft ripped out everything good about that series.
    Well depending on how you see the things heroes 4 was possibly worse in multiplayer due to things like horrid balance and how everything is done by heroes (it is not weird to have 3+ heroes in a single doom stack and some castles had units way better than the other castles(life and order had overpowered units))
    Unskippable cutscenes however are an horrific thing from nightmares (if they are skippable you can just ignore how bad they are by skipping).
    Last edited by noob; 2020-01-04 at 02:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Well depending on how you see the things heroes 4 was possibly worse in multiplayer due to things like horrid balance and how everything is done by heroes
    Actually, that tended to cause issues in single player as well. Problem is, if you had an enemy stack with the chance to kill a unit outright (e.g. medusas) they could potentially use that ability against your hero, no matter how high their level and how tough they were--and since there were single player missions you would instantly fail if your main hero died, well, you can see the problem! Somebody at NWC really didn't think that one through. Other than that, though, I actually liked having your hero be another unit on the field--it was a nice change to the gameplay that might otherwise have been a bit stale after three iterations of the same thing.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, that tended to cause issues in single player as well. Problem is, if you had an enemy stack with the chance to kill a unit outright (e.g. medusas) they could potentially use that ability against your hero, no matter how high their level and how tough they were--and since there were single player missions you would instantly fail if your main hero died, well, you can see the problem! Somebody at NWC really didn't think that one through. Other than that, though, I actually liked having your hero be another unit on the field--it was a nice change to the gameplay that might otherwise have been a bit stale after three iterations of the same thing.
    Does it ignore the effect of the immortality potion(one extra live)?
    When I played heroes 4 I used tons of those.
    (but in the campaign you probably do not always have access to immortality potions)
    Last edited by noob; 2020-01-04 at 04:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Actually, that tended to cause issues in single player as well. Problem is, if you had an enemy stack with the chance to kill a unit outright (e.g. medusas) they could potentially use that ability against your hero, no matter how high their level and how tough they were.
    In practice the only heroes who could solo their way through the map were barbarians, who could soon be kitted out with 100% magic resistance, then let the medusas do their worst. Until then, just don't try to solo medusas.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground

*Dragonshard
    *Master of Orion 3 (actually unplayable. The game basically just ignored my commands and did its own thing)
    *Devil May Cry 2
    *all the popular D&D videogames (Bladur's Gate, Planescape Torment, etc)
    *Half-Life 2 (basically just a crummy infomercial for the source engine; one gimmicky gun does not make up for the plot and gameplay being vastly inferior to the first installment)
    *Dead Space and any other game with an over-the-shoulder camera
    *McPixel
    *anything with permadeath
    *anything with limitations on saves
    *anything that charges a subscription fee
    *anything with microtransactions
    *the fourth and fifth levels of Destroy All Humans 2
    *the second or third or fourth (I forget which) level of Ratchet and Clank 2. There's one level that's really really badly programmed and causes me to put the game aside for a month every time I try to replay it
    *all rhythm games
    *Fallout I and II get a mention for their bad interface and for the fact that they somehow run slow even on the computer I have now

EDIT:
    SimCity Societies gets an honorable mention because, while I actually love the game, something about it makes me feel physically ill and emotionally drained after playing it for a couple of hours. The game doesn't have any flashing lights, and it doesn't have any visuals that would induce vertigo, but somehow playing it for more than a couple hours at a time leaves me vagguely depressed and feeling as if my brain has been removed and replaced with a crumpled up sweater. It actually reminds me a bit of the Polybius game urban legend
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-01-05 at 03:20 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Bohandas hates everything.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Well depending on how you see the things heroes 4 was possibly worse in multiplayer due to things like horrid balance and how everything is done by heroes (it is not weird to have 3+ heroes in a single doom stack and some castles had units way better than the other castles(life and order had overpowered units))
    Unskippable cutscenes however are an horrific thing from nightmares (if they are skippable you can just ignore how bad they are by skipping).
    I don’t see it that way. (I will note that I never did the multiplayer aspect, so I don’t know or care about any issues there.) Heroes IV was different from the rest of the series, but it was still quite playable, and the vanilla game at least had interesting characters and story.

Heroes V was not. It had much higher computer spec requirements in a series that could traditionally be run on very low-end machines. For me at least, it crashed constantly; Heroes IV did not. Ubisoft got rid of interesting lore, story and characters in favor of bland, stupid and generic ones. They removed most of the variety of interesting monster in the towns in favor of ten flavors of dragon and a bunch of women wearing nothing but belts and high heels. The so-special 3D town view was a nightmare to navigate around compared to the nice, efficient single-screen view of every previous game including Heroes IV. The characters were stupid and unlikeable, and they did stupid things just so Ubi could set up the plot of Dark Messiah. The AI would cheat very obviously right up until the player started winning and then completely give up, also very obviously, there was no happy middle ground where the fights were interesting. And yes, the cutscenes were juvenile, bewildering messes of badly-placed animation, but that wasn’t anywhere near the game’s worst or only problem. Heroes V had no saving factors whatsoever.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Ubisoft got rid of interesting lore, story and characters in favor of bland, stupid and generic ones.
    Spoiler: huh
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Bohandas hates everything.
    Clearly, though I'll give him dragonshard.

For myself, I'll add Xenosaga 2, the first disc took about 6 hours, 5 of which were cutscenes. I don't recall if the gameplay itself was any good, because there was barely any of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post

For myself, I'll add Xenosaga 2, the first disc took about 6 hours, 5 of which were cutscenes. I don't recall if the gameplay itself was any good, because there was barely any of it.
    It really wasn't. The actual battle mechanics were boring and relied on trial and error, and it took a solid two seconds to load each model into the battle. One at a time.

But if you played Xenosaga 1, you really should have expected the sheer quantity of cutscenes.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Spoiler: huh
    Show
    If you're trying to tell me that Spazz Maticus is somehow dumber than Isabel, then you're going to have to do more than quote a picture.

22. - Top - End - #202

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    SimCity Societies gets an honorable mention because, while I actually love the game, something about it makes me feel physically ill and emotionally drained after playing it for a couple of hours. The game doesn't have any flashing lights, and it doesn't have any visuals that would induce vertigo, but somehow playing it for more than a couple hours at a time leaves me vagguely depressed and feeling as if my brain has been removed and replaced with a crumpled up sweater. It actually reminds me a bit of the Polybius game urban legend
    Other than the emotional draining I have this reaction to Doom, Doom 2 and even years later, Doom 64. I've played other, similar titles before like Heretic or ROT and neither one has prompted that reaction in me, and no other games (even the weird-3d era of the original Playstation) has given me this same reaction. I don't experience motion sickness in general, even from reading in moving cars.

It's a weird experience, to be sure.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    It really wasn't. The actual battle mechanics were boring and relied on trial and error, and it took a solid two seconds to load each model into the battle. One at a time.

But if you played Xenosaga 1, you really should have expected the sheer quantity of cutscenes.
    Worst game in the xeno series by far. They botched the gear/E.S. mechanics so bad.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

In my opinion Devastation is the worst game i have played.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Worst game in the xeno series by far. They botched the gear/E.S. mechanics so bad.
    Agreed. XS3 was the best of that trilogy. Apparently a remaster of the whole thing was briefly on the table, but Namco Bandai said 'too expensive and too niche' so we'll never see it done.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

26. - Top - End - #206

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Speaking of "games released incomplete" in the Old Game Trends thread, I've played McKids for the NES. McKids the McDonald's advertisement disguised as a platformer.

More importantly, I've played McKids up to the point where you need to ride a moving platform through a pool of lava to progress. In a game that has no invincibility or Varia Suit powerup. Which renders the game unbeatable by legitimate means.