Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 202
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Drow Against Midnight IC

    OOC link

    It's been several years now but the drow of Zirnakaynin will not soon forget their defeat at the hands of the surface elves, who they once hoped to conquer. Though the average surface dweller might be no match for a drow, the drow had discovered that the surface dwellers more than made up for than in sheer numbers as well as having powerful champions among them. With the sealing of the most obvious portal to the surface, the conquest of Zirnakaynin by the enemy was averted, but many drow vowed to continue the fight when the time is right.

    Now, a pleasant perfume wafts through the cool air of this wholly unnatural cavern. Gone is the dark, worked stone and strange crystal of Tower Solacas, House Vonnarcs’ exclusive school of the arcane arts, replaced by sleek seemingly organic walls — as though the chamber were inside a gigantic, glistening black beetle. Nearby stands a fanged portal, sanguine smoke billowing within. Alcoves divide the chamber, one filled with comfortable pillows and a low table set with familiar looking fruits and water; another dominated by a huge, ornate bed flanked by scandalously sculpted statues; and the largest filled with the sinister tools and devices of an arcane laboratory. At the rear of the hall’s heart stands a massive, ornate desk constructed of bone fused with crystal and littered with tomes and curios of obvious antiquity and dark power. Behind the desk presides an imposing throne of black metal and stuffed silks, sculpted to look like several contorted drow slaves.

    Matron Pravora and First Daughter Alicavniss of House Vonnarc are both here. The former, mysterious and rarely seen, is an ancient matron priestess known to possess one of the most devious minds in all Zirnakaynin. The latter has cheeks high and imperious, her eyes blank and soulless; she strikes the very vision of dark elven beauty, and is known as a powerful mage.

    Also present are three of the undead monstrosities known as devourers, a troll clad in armor and bearing a large battleaxe, obviously a servant of House Vonnarc, and three other drow besides yourself ...

    It is Alicavniss who takes the lead for House Vonnarc while her mother merely watches.

    "You have heard what Matron Allevrah of House Azrinae intends to do. I do not blame her for wanting to strike a blow against the surface. But a strike from a meteor powerful enough to destroy the nation above will almost certainly collapse our caverns as well. That price we are not willing to pay. Are you ready to fight this madness?"
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-20 at 03:36 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Faazeran took in her surroundings as she was escorted inside House Vonnarc's domain. Her powers of observation were highly developed after years of hunting soon to be slaves that tried to hide or attempt a last ditch ambush to save themselves. She knew she was entering the spiderweb of an enemy but her own Matron tasked her with this mission. The devourers were a show of strength that Faazeran ignored.

    She took notice of the four others she would travel with. A troll? Hopefully it had more skills than the typical troll that Faazeran had frequently enough captured for slavery. It did seem to be better poised than most so there was some hope it might be of a little use.

    Two drow males that she didn't know. Which Houses were they from? It was surprising to her for the Houses to have chosen them. These two must have proven themselves already. Maybe it was a setup for failure for the whole mission. Her own Matron had assured her this was a true critical task for the other eleven Houses so she had to presume the former. Interesting.

    The last teammate she knew was Tela Ulvani, a diviner of House Azrinae. What was she doing here? Faazeran knew of Tela since Matron Vulissakra ensured her cousins and herself were skilled with the who's who of various Houses. This was confusing. Although she had not dealt with Tela Faazeran knew she was capable and if Tela had truly turned on her House this could be a useful turn of events.

    When their hosts arrived Faazeran knew this was a special occasion as Matron Pravora was rarely directly involved. That or she was the queen spider come to prey upon visitors. Faazeran's faith in her own Matron kept her reassured. Her gaze at House Vonnarc was of curiosity not a threat. Faazeran didn't have aspirations for controlling a House which helped keep her alive within her own House.

    Faazeran had dealt a little with First Daughter Alicavniss. For some of the more dangerous slaves or pets being delivered to House Vonnarc, Faazeran's speciality was needed to control the living goods. The interactions had been kept professional though.

    Alicavniss asked her question of the group. Faazeran's eye's peered through her mask around the group then returned to the hosts. "Yes, that plan must be stopped. Are we to tear down all of House Azrinae or just Matron Allevrah and those who will not step aside? What can you tell us of where we are going and what we'll find to aid in our success?"
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    When the dispatch comes, Kyornor looks a little surprised and more shocked than he can remember. Hastily dressing in his best clothes, he obeys the summons of the Matron as he follows the swift guards back to House Vonnarc.
    He frets along the way, not sure if he is being summoned to execute the will of the Matron or to be executed. Either way, his chance were slim at escaping his summoners.
    As they enter the outer guard, his eyes go wide, having never been to one of the great houses before. Seeing the finery and might on display, he realizes his best clothing wasn't even fit for the lowest servant seen.
    When he enters with the others, an odd assemblage to be sure, he prostrates himself before the Matron and her daughter before being told he could stand. On explaining the mission layed before them, he ponders. He had heard the rumors of what House Azrinae had planned... but he discounted it as a distortion or rumor. Quickly, before he could draw the ire of either woman for thinking too long, he bowed lowly as he said "As you command so I will obey." he said as he took in a side glance at the others summoned. A couple of female, probably priestess' though they didn't dress it, along with the largest drow he has ever laid his eye upon. When the female on the far right asks about House Azrinae, he stands and looks at the Matron, curious on what her answer would be. He knew his place and, though he had questions, they were not germaine to the quest at hand. He held his tongue while the females spoke.
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Alicavniss replies "Faazeran, there is much to tell. As for House Azrinae here in the city, it is already being taken care of, but they left only a token force. The family had already departed.

    You are going to the Land of Black Blood. From the information we gathered, that is where Matron Allevrah has constructed the Earthfall Glyphs for her scheme, based on the ancient magic that once brought an age of darkness to the surface world. Put simply, these powerful magical glyphs are pulling a giant rock from the sky towards the planet.

    I have obtained some information that should help, from a combination of ancient lore and spies. Typically each glyph has another function as well, and we don't know those details. But there is always a Master Glyph, which can only be destroyed once the others are gone. There is probably a glyph that can regenerate the others, so it should be destroyed first. And destroying any of the glyphs is no easy task, but it can be theoretically be done with the right combination of spells particular to each glyph, or what is probably a more practical approach, physically attacked - though a dangerous backlash could result.

    Before I say any more I must be certain that all of you agree to do this."

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    As he strode out the front gates of House Misraria with three bodyguards in tow, Jack took in a deep breath, sifting through the scents of the outside street. This would be his first time leaving the grounds of the House in six decades, and only his second time ever. He felt more vulnerable in glistening plate armor outside the gates than he did in utter nudity inside the palace.
    Due to his peculiar ancestry, he stood a full head taller than most drow. He shared this unique trait with each of his brothers, and their broad shoulders were equally strange for their race.
    He moved as silently and smoothly as a lynx despite wearing glistening plate armor. Across his back, a hefty greatsword fit loosely in its scabbard of straps and buckles, ready to be flicked free at a moment's notice.
    As they traveled through backstreets, Jack noticed the tiny retinue was marching in a parade formation, careless to their surroundings. He thinks to himself, Ah. These pawns are here to make me seem just important enough to Misraria to invite enemy houses to attempt assassination -- knowing I can kill those who would dare try serves as a show of power for the house without expending precious resources, and punishes anyone that expends resources trying to kill me. Congratulations, Matron, I fell for it...
    As he expected, there was an attempt on his life when he was about two-thirds of the way to the destination he was briefed for, but to his surprise the bodyguards slashed and burned the assailants before he could get within arms' reach. Well, except one, which the wizard in his retinue had polymorphed into a pebble.
    Okay, so maybe I got the wrong impression. This means business.
    When he reached the door to House Vonnarc's outer courtyard, his bodyguards turned a one-eighty and immediately began marching back to the Misraria palace. Jack shrugged, then entered as he was bid by a servant of Vonnarc. When he reached the meeting chamber, he stood before an empty throne for almost an hour before a priestess came in and questioned him about his allegiances. After assuring her under lie-detecting magic that he wasn't here to assassinate anyone (common for any dealings with House Misraria), he was offered a servant's portion of wine and bread, which he promptly ignored; this caused the priestess to smile wickedly and treat him much more kindly. Of course, accepting would have implied that he was of lesser status than he had been sent here for, and he would have likely been executed.
    One by one, minute by minute, the others of this meeting filed into the chamber. While showing up first would normally denote a lesser house, Jack stood at the second position near the Matron Pravora (after Alicavniss) a bold and daring move that earned harsh and admiring glares from many in the room.
    "Assisting in this mission is my sole purpose, until its completion."
    Only then, after acknowledging the Matron and First Daughter each with a bow of his head first, did he take stock of the others in the room, once again showing a level of arrogance that escalates his assumed worth.
    At first, he stared at a devourer with the appearance of a wolf eyeing a lamb, but when he turned his gaze towards the other male drow of the group, Jack's appearance turned into one of curiosity. He had never heard of a commoner working with nobility for such a discreet, high-ranked mission as this one, and it also appeared that he carried no visible weapons -- only a magician's scepter and buckler.
    Next was the fairly well-known diviner Ulvani of Azrinae. He did dip his head in a respectful half-bow and offered a genuine smile in recognition of her role in mysticism. She had helped his House many times before, sometimes indirectly; since his house controlled a large portion of the flow of information in Zirnakaynin, her very name and profession provided a good market. Many of House Misraria's clients paid handsomely to know there was a diviner that could help them acquire what they desired, and since they usually provided more business for Tela there was nothing but good relations there.
    Lastly (since he wouldn't even bother looking at the troll), a drow female that he knew nothing about. Jack offered her a similar nod to Tela, though with more nonchalance; he didn't want to provoke her, but they would both get the chance to earn each other's respect on this mission and he didn't have any prior relationship with her, so he dispensed with the need for professionalism in her case.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-22 at 06:26 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Though she was second-last to arrive, Tela believed she was most prepared to meet her soon-to-be companions. Though with her particular talents, she may as well have already. Besides which, it seemed her own reputation preceded her for some of them. A Troll, an assassin, a slaver, and a freelance Spellfilcher. She was especially curious about how the latter two would get on, given what her spells had told her about them.

    "I assure you there is quite a bit of dissent within House Azrinae on this matter. Most of it simply wishes to avoid the Matron's direct attention. Though she does have a fair bit of support as well, and I'm not sure exactly how much of it is just brown-nosing."
    Last edited by Debatra; 2019-10-24 at 08:33 PM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Kyornor, head still down, arches an eyebrow as he looks at Tela out of the corner of his eye, curious at what she knew and what she might not be disclosing. He knew these were dangerous people and he felt a bit out of his depth but displaying any weakness in front of anyone would be deadly if he was lucky, worse if he wasn't.
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    "I wouldn't be at all surprised if all of her supposed supporters or none of them were following along with lethal intent towards her."
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-26 at 08:23 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    First Daughter Alicavniss glances at Jack. "Such a thing being unheard of in normal times, but perhaps."

    Was that … could it have been … a joke? Surely it was!

    She continues "But the Azrinae family boasts some potent spellcasters and warriors among them, and you can't assume that you won't have to face them. Matron Allevrah is a priestess of Abraxas, the Lord of Hidden Knowledge, and is likely stoking religious fanaticism to motivate her followers. As for First Son Kardinnyr, he led the defense the House here in Zirnakaynin, but now his whereabouts are unknown. Denrelwe Azrinae is a powerful arcanist, as is Allevrah's consort, Drexinis. And then there is that other daughter, Lenar … I'm not sure what she can do but she's survived a few assassination attempts so she must have some skills.

    The Land of Black Blood has its own dangers. The Black Blood itself, a strange substance, looks a bit like petroleum oil, but is freezing to the touch. Let those little savage chardas keep it.

    What concerns me more is what's known as "the Vanishing". There are tales of people just disappearing in that area. Sometimes they return seconds, days, or years later, with no memory of the missing time. Others may never return. It's rare, but you can't say I didn't warn you of the risk. It's not a place that any sane drow would attempt to colonize on a long term basis, but over the years, a number have tried.

    That cavern is vast, and by that I mean a good three or four hundred miles across. And I estimate that we may have only a couple of weeks before it's too late, certainly not more than three.

    My troll servant Freel here has been there. I'm sending him with you to guide you there, but he was there years ago, sent on a scouting mission, before the Azrinaes took the place over.

    Based on his report, there is a place called the Shrine of Bound Earth, where a shaitan genie called Haiten Bhaq dwelled. This earth genie seemed to know everything that was going on in the Land of Black Blood. It may be that the Azrinaes saw no need to slay her, as she kept to herself. If she's still there, she might be willing to tell you where the Glyphs are, so that should be your first stop. If that idea doesn't work, then you'll just have to figure things out as best you can.

    Finally we have the matter of getting there …"

    The ancient Matron, Pravora, interrupts. "Be back here in two hours prepared to depart with your mounts and everything you will take. I will cast a spell to let you float like the wind. Even then, it will take you a few hours through the tunnels where Freel will lead you. Beware the Vermin Lords on the way, but they should not be able to catch you."

    Alicavniss adds "Yes, thank you, Matron. As for you who will go, any last questions?"

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Jack smirks.
    "I have none."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Kyornor prostrates himself as he says "No, mistress, I have no questions that you have not explained well."
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    "Perhaps House Azrinae left behind maps or other research for their plans. That would be useful information for their failure. Tela, do you know where others should look? Findings could be Sent to us."

    "I am sure we will face each of the family. Best if not all at once of course. I will return soon with my mount and be ready to go. The longer we delay the longer they have to prepare."


    Once the conversation has ended Faazeran will retrieve her mount named Zenon and return quickly.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    After you leave the building, you get the impression that a drow male might be following you. The man is quickly nabbed by Vonnarc guards, however. It is clear that the Vonnarcs suspected him of treachery and just gave him the chance to prove it. Later, you are not surprised that no more was said of the matter.

    Two hours later, in a large tunnel that leads away from the building, you are set to depart. You each have your adventuring gear and are mounted on a giant lizard, a cave gecko. Freel, your troll guide, is not mounted.

    Matron Pravora and First Daughter Alicavniss of House Vonnarc are there to see you off.

    Alicavniss gives Tela an amulet, which is noted to be able to provide very minor but very timely healing.

    Spoiler: amulet
    Show
    Amulet of Emergency Healing: As an immediate action 3/day, can heal 1d4+5 points of damage to yourself or a creature within 30 feet.


    Pravora casts the spell known as Wind Walk, touching each of you; she casts it again to give your mounts the same benefit.

    For the next little while, your challenge is to persuade your mount to follow you closely as you both transform into misty clouds and gain the ability to move like the wind! Eventually, after what seems like quite a lot of chasing wayward clouds in the tunnel, all of the mounts seem to get the hang of it.

    Finally, you depart the tunnel, following the lead of the troll, now also in cloud form. He leads you a good distance from the city and into a small tunnel near the side of the vault. This leads into a large network of other long tunnels and caverns. He remembers the route, but occasionally has to pause to think. Most of the time though, you all race through the tunnels at the speed of the wind, some 60 miles per hour! You sometimes race past a few strange monsters along the way, but they are able to do little but gawk before you are long gone.

    After takes some three hours of this travel, you finally emerge into another huge vault. This, the troll confirms, is the Land of Black Blood. This cavern goes on for a great distance, no doubt hundreds of miles as you were told. The faint multicolored lights that underdark ceilings are often covered with are present but more muted than what you are used to.

    Your journey is not over though; even at wind speed, it takes about three quarters of a hour to reach your first destination.

    At first it seems that a basilisk or medusa might lived in this section of the vault for a time as hundreds of stone humanoids stand about, all made of the same grayish, gritty granite and all carved in great detail from helmet to boots. On closer inspection, though, this is clearly not the work of magical petrification, or at least not the usual variety. Every single statue in the grove is faceless, without eyes, nose, or mouth. Why this is so is unclear, but it appears to be the work of an insane artist with an extraordinary amount of time on his hands.

    A wide building of lighter stone rises from the dark stone here. A grove of statues stands before the building, each form contorted and with some of their parts unfinished or broken off. A pathway leads through these statues to a large set of doors in the building’s facade.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-30 at 07:58 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    During the initial two hours, Tela will approach the group on the subject of telepathic communication and other magic she can provide for the group. While it will never end on its own, she specifically assures each of them that it can be removed at our leisure. After spending a few minutes casting, she will leave the others to do as they will until it comes time for them to leave.

    When the Cave Geckos need to be oriented with Wind Walk, she will use Speak with Animals to speed the process along.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    As they depart the mother, Kyornor bows lowly, before mounting Ali'gal. With that, they are off. The Spellfilch marvels a bit as the magic involved, envy and greed interpolating across his face as he ponders what he could do with magic. He knows they have little to fear in the state they travel in but he still clutches his weaponry and keeps a keen eye about, habits that have saved him on many an occasion. As they travel and he sees his companions whispy forms, he wonders how long this will last before there is a fight for control of the group, especially with the towering warrior.
    As they settle in the 'grove', he causually loops Ali'gal's reins about an outstretched hand of one of the statues as he pulls out his mace and buckler and scans his surroundings. Knowing his social status is barely above the gecko's, and maybe not even that of their guide, "What is the next move?"he asks to no one in particular as waits and tries to blend in behind of one of the statues.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Listen
    (1d20+3)[13]
    Spot
    (1d20+6)[24]
    Hide
    (1d20+20)[38]

    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Just before the misty flight Faazeran casts Extended Mass Mage Armor on all of the group, mounts included (lasts 28 hours). Along the flight she takes note of the route they take. The creatures they pass over might make interesting prey once this task was complete.

    Through the telepathic bond Faazeran informs the others her mastery of Telekinesis allows her many ways to slow or suspend prey midair so that others can subdue or slay them. She can also use it to move each other around to better positions, easier if they don't resist.

    Landing at the sea of statues she orders her mount Zenon to Stay. She studies the area then turns to the troll. "This is where the genie lives?" She looks to the others. "Seems the genie has a lot of time to kill. Once the genie knows the threat to all these statues we should have the help we came for. Maybe more."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Know(Planes) for shaitan genie. (1d20+18)[38]

    Lowest INT in the group is a 14, impressive.

    After landing:
    Spot (1d20+19)[29]
    Listen (1d20+2)[16]
    INT check for any patterns to the statues, including their layout. (1d20+8)[24]

    Hmm, is my "third limb" from Mage's Will invisible? The class is called "Mage of the Unseen Hand".
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Unfortunately for Jack, he treats his gecko as more of a pet and has only novice control over the thing as a mount. However, despite his lack of skill, the creature is the closest thing he has to a friend (he even avoided giving it a name on purpose, in the hope that it would live longer) and is relatively great at following his directions, so it doesn't take them any longer than the others to adjust to the wind walk. Tela may even discover (while using Speak with Animals) that Jack treats that gecko much more kindly than any drow, even the Matrons themselves. After Tela applies permanency to the telepathic bonds, Jack uses them exclusively to communicate with the group.
    When Faazeran mentions her telekinetic abilities working better without resistance, Jack replies in a deadpan tone, "Oh, I'm sure. Forgive me if I accidentally resist. I'm a bit jumpy at the best of times. Holding down the enemy will probably work much better."
    Jack openly gapes in wonder at the tremendous cavern as they begin to slow down from wind speed.
    When they get close to the statues, Jack inspects them meticulously, though he keeps a catlike eye on his surroundings and silently flows between the stony sentinels. He would rather not be the first one to knock on the door that belongs to whatever made these sculptures.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    Listen (for anything)
    (1d20+9)[11]
    Spot (for anything)
    (1d20+36)[54]
    Hide (between statues)
    (1d20+30)[34]
    Move Silently (moving no more than 5 feet per round)
    (1d20+30)[35]
    Appraise (to check for patterns in the statues and their layout, as well as potential intrinsic value sentimentally and artistically)
    (1d20+29)[37]
    Edit: I threw the max boons in Guile (skill-monkey boon) and the max ranks in Spot. Holy crap.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-01 at 03:35 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Freel sniffs the air and looks around. "Yes, this is the genie house. Shrine of Bound Earth." The troll's voice is deep, but somewhat nasal.

    Even Jack's incredibly keen sight doesn't spot any creatures or movement in the vicinity apart from your own party, and the place seems silent as well.

    Spoiler: Jack and Faazeran
    Show
    The statues in the immediate vicinity of the Shrine seem a bit different from those further out. The close ones form a regular pattern, including two rows flanking a path to the door. Also, most of these seem to represent figures wearing loose-fitting robes, while those further out sport a greater variety of shapes that suggest all manner of clothing, armor, and sizes.


    Spoiler: Faazeran
    Show
    Shaitans are genies from the Elemental Plane of Earth. With flesh of rare metals, glittering gems, or polished stone, they are the strongest physically of the genie races. They also have a variety of stone-related magical powers, including the ability to glide through earth and stone without leaving a trace. Shaitans are usually inclined to honor rules and keep deals, but not necessarily to help people, though by drow standards they lack cruelty.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Faazeran shakes her head. "Why are you hiding? This Haiten Bhaq is a Shaitan, master of stone. She could be watching us right now. Skulking around her home is not the way to learn what we need. Come on." Faazeran leads Zenon through the pathway to the door and stops about 10 feet back from the door. She glances back at the rest of the party. As she turns back towards the building three solid knocks are sounded on the door.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Still need to know if the arm from Mage's Will is invisible or not. If it is visible I'll adjust the post but still use it to knock on the door.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Jack admires her boldness even as he gives a wry smirk.
    He trusts in his combat strength, but no matter how skilled you are in Zirnakaynin, as a warrior you can still easily find a life-sucking blade in the kidney as the consequence of what would be an insignificant mistake anywhere else; his prowling is the result of decades of survival in the drow game of natural selection.
    "Well, since you're knocking, I'll watch your back", he sends with a matter-of-fact tone. He likes having as many magically talented drow assisting on the mission as possible, so he really means it; he does his best to act as a lookout for Faazeran and the group as a whole.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-04 at 11:22 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Kyornor nods as he comes out of the cover as he gives a nods of his head in acquiescence. "As you say, mistress." as he comes forward and walks up to the hulking warrior. "I, too, will watch your back."
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    There is no answer to Faazeran's forceful knocks on the stone door.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It's not spelled out that the Mage's telekinetic arm is invisible, but I think that was Grod's intention. However, that won't let you get the bonuses of invisible attackers when attacking with it, unless you are invisible yourself.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Faazeran wasn't used to having to be nice to those she didn't know and had to seek out. That was usually a case of trapping and capturing as many as possible for the cages the entourage would bring along. She calls out in Undercommon loud enough for the grove. "Haiten Bhaq. We are here to speak with you, with information for you may not yet have."

    The head slaver for House Rasivrein looks to the apparently former House Azrinae diviner with a questioning look.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2019-11-06 at 08:50 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Tela steps forward and addresses the Shaitan in Terran, mentally translating for her compatriots. "Haiten Bhaq, great Genie of the Bound Earth, we seek to destroy the Earthfall Glyphs that will pull destruction down from the heavens. We have been told you have eyes throughout the Land of Black Blood. Will you help us find them?"

    Through the link, she adds, "A little flowery perhaps, but I've learned it seldom hurts to lace your words with compliments."

    If there is still no answer, she will cast Locate Creature in an attempt to verify that she is even there.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    After a long moment, the stone doors scrape open outward. An earth elemental, roughly the size and shape of a humanoid but seemingly made of stone, stands behind them but moves away after opening the doors.

    The doors lead into a sort of entrance hallway with four pillars. Beyond it is another pair of open double stone doors leading to a much larger room.

    That wide, oblong room is constructed of the same pale stone as the rest of the shrine. Clear crystals and pale gems create and reflect light around the high-ceilinged chamber, standing from the stone of the walls like ageless sconces. Staircases on either side of the room lead up to an altar platform on the far side. A number of braziers smolder with strong incense, annoying Freel's sensitive nose.

    In the middle of the room stands a beautiful scimitar-wielding giant of a woman seemingly made of dark and polished stone, clad in a two-piece outfit.

    The woman says to you in Undercommon "So! Drow are the ones seeking to bring ruin down on the Land, yet you wish to stop it? I would tell you where to find the Glyphs, if you are sincere, but they are well guarded. Who are you?"

    Spoiler: if you have detect magic active
    Show

    There are several magical auras. Just inside the doorway is a weak one, and there's a moderate one on the earth elemental. There are several on the giant woman and her gear.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-11-06 at 08:47 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    As he walks beside Kyornor, Jack takes in the glow of the crystals.
    He focuses his attention mostly on the area around them, and greets the genie with a casual salute. He expects his companions to be a bit more loquasioucly talented than himself, though he's priming himself for diplomatic discussion anyway on the off chance they blow it.
    "I am Jack of House Misraria. Thank you for inviting us into your home."
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-06 at 11:47 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Tela will wait until the others introduce themselves before speaking up, using that time to, subtly as she can, examine the myriad magical auras around them.

    Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    I have Arcane Sight, so I don't need to concentrate on the various auras to attempt to identify them.

    (10d20)[20][1][20][18][9][10][10][5][5][8](106) +22 each

    She will also take a standard action to concentrate on the one we are presuming is Haiten Bhaq.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    As he enters the abode with Jack, Kyornor places his weapon at his waist, trying to look is inocuous as possible, easy next to the mountain walking next to him. As the mental link is used between, them, he keeps his mental silence as they enter. He looks about, trying to keep an eye on any subterfuge until the earth elemental woman appears and speaks. "I am Kyornor Naerth. I, too, thank you for your invitation." he says with a bow as he lets the females take the lead.
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Spoiler
    Show


    "Yes, please come in, and welcome to the Shrine of Bound Earth" she says. "You know about me already, you have made clear, but I would like to know more about you. You are few in number, so why do you think you could stop the other drow?"

    Spoiler: Tela
    Show
    auras:
    Inside the door: faint abjuration
    Earth elemental: moderate conjuration
    The genie: abjuration, conjuration, transmutation … basically a what typical stack of buffs and magical items would produce; the strongest aura is moderate illusion.
    Concentrating on her, you confirm that she has arcane abilities, with the strongest being 7th level.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-11-07 at 10:05 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

    Faazeran gives a small nod of thanks for the invite. "I am Faazeran Rasivrein of House Rasivrein. Only one House of Drow wants to bring this ruin, and not even all of that House. All of the other Houses entrusted us to do this. House Azrinae may have numbers but they are divided among the Glyphs and they do not have their Diviner to help them."

    "There was the question of whether House Azrinae had tried or even succeeded in silencing you. Either they feared you or their arrogance failed to see the value of your knowledge. Either way, all you can tell us will aid in stopping Earthfall. You may even wish to come punish them with us. You would survive Earthfall but your shrine and your work outside may not."
    She gives a respectful nod to the genie.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •