New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

Tela will give Faazeran a mental reminder that she was most likely not the only Diviner Azrinae had, though she will also admit that she doesn't entirely know.

"Tela Ulvani, of House Azrinae. Perhaps formerly, depending on whether or not they've noticed I'm gone yet. At any rate, as to why we would care to stop them, many of the Drow believe that such a great impact on the surface would also be likely to collapse the Underdark below. Others may simply be less willing to destroy so much."
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

With a downward wave of her hand the 18' tall genie commands the elemental to leave, and it vanishes into the stone floor.

She replies "It is my impression that the … other members of House Azrinae intend to press me into service to help with whatever rebuilding they hope to do after the Earthfall.

My place is here, and I fear that my larger size would not be suited to the places that must be explored to reach the Glyphs. At least I expect that is so for the first of the Glyphs that must be destroyed. If you succeed in that, we will see.

The Hanging Forest is a huge grove of giant mushrooms and fungi that grow from the vault's ceiling, at the far side of the cavern. There is a place within it called the Livid Sanctum, and that Glyph is there, though its exact location within is probably well hidden. It is an ancient site where the demonic bat god Camazotz was once worshipped.

You might not even find any drow there, since they do not find it pleasant and have moved on. But the first Glyph to be created is there, so it must be destroyed first."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Jack frowns. Even mounted on a gecko, travel through an upside-down fungal forest would be bothersome and time-consuming.
    He mentally prods at Tela: "To put the first one in such a place is clever, but prideful. Memorable, yet difficult to reach for all except the one placing the glyph in the first place. It indicates no one has the power to get to the glyph before they're all activated anyway. Do you know if that pride befits one particular member of your former House over any other? Perhaps one of the Matron's children, or an apprentice to the House's head wizard?"
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-10 at 12:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Kyornor ponders the questions and answers for a few moments before chiming in. "Do you know what this or any of the other Glyphs look like?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Faazeran was thankful for the information given. "We still have our Wind Walk spell and for short times I can grant us all flight. Haiten Bhaq, do you know what we may face near and in the Livid Sanctum? What is needed to destroy the Glyph?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Know(Religion) Camazotz (1d20+13)[22]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The genie replies "Unfortunately, I do not know exactly what the Glyphs look like, nor do I know what guards the one in the Livid Sanctum. The Hanging Forest is home to all manner of spiders, bats, and fungi.

To destroy the Glyph, I believe that you must cast many spells that dispel magic at it. But that may not be reliable information, just something I overheard."

Spoiler: Faazeran
    Show
    Camazotz

Master of Black Wings and Lord of Stolen Blood, the bat god Camazotz flies among the winged predators of the underworld, reminding the living why they fear the night and leading his brood to feast upon the weak. Appearing as a gigantic and terrifying man-like bat, Camazotz garbs himself with the sacrifices of his worshipers and the blood of his victims. He delights in tricking foolish mortals—whether they be foes or dutiful servants—from the safety of their homes and into the maws of predators. He cares little for his followers but enjoys their sacrifices, protecting them only so they might continue to offer him skulls, blood, bodies, sweet drink, and other offerings. Those who turn from his faith or otherwise wrong the bloodthirsty god face his ire and might find themselves haunted by bats for the rest of their lives.

Following their deity’s example, the cult of Camazotz seeks to spread fear and undermine the comforts of civilization. They revel in the night and revere nocturnal predators, especially bats in all of their gigantic varieties, though jaguars, vultures, spiders, and wolves are also venerated. Ceremonies to the bat god always involve blood sacrifices—preferably drawn by the fangs of living beasts—that are offered or directly fed to fearful statues or icons of Camazotz.

Camazotz’s domains are Animal, Chaos, Darkness, Evil, and Trickery. His favored weapon is the javelin.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-11-12 at 09:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

"Once we've destroyed the glyph we'll need the other locations. Do we need to come back here or can you show us a map of the other glyphs? A map of the caveran would prove useful too." It was rare for Faazeran to need so much information from outside her own House so she was not used to having to ask. Even though the genie revealing all would be to the genie's benefit, Faazeran was still grateful. Already being pointed in the right direction just saved possibly weeks of searching, and they didn't have that kind of time.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The genie replies "Best to return here afterward. If you succeed in that, I should be able to lead you to the next one, and perhaps join in the action.

You'd best go now. If the other drow get wind of your presence they are sure to reinforce the glyphs' defenses."

9. - Top - End - #39

"Yes, if we hurry the spell may get us back here too. I presume the cavern is wide at the far side. Which general direction to the Sanctum?" Faazeran begins transforming back into the wind and has her mount do the same. Once all are transformed she'll have the troll lead the way.

Mentally to Tela. "You have Greater Dispel too right?"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Chimera

Jack pulls the reins on his mount and climbs up, then initiates the same windy transformation.
    Mentally communicating, he sends to the group:
    "Since we are relying on dispelling magic, I'll have to guard those of you who can use it while you remove the glyphs. Try to reserve as much magic as you can. I doubt it'll be easy."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Kyornor nods in agreement before commenting. "I have some talent with dispelling magic." he says with a small tilt of his head. "But, we should get going while we have the spells on us for fast travel."

Spoiler: kinem
    Show

Something we didn't address is how full Kyornor's Absorption Pool at this point.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The genie replies "The door of this Shrine faces across the Land of Black Blood, so that's the direction you must go. You will fly over the Caltherium, a massive lake of the Black Blood. The Hanging Forest is rather distinctive. Explore it to find the Livid Sanctum within; I expect that when you see it, you will know it."

Spoiler: razorback
    Show
    Let's assume that it's half full.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

"I would assume there are wards in place against scrying and other divinations. Would you happen to know anything about that? Maybe even a way around them?"

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The genie replies “Sorry, I don’t know about that.”

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Over their link, Tela will ask the group, "My spell will take an hour to cast. Do we want to wait here for that long?"

Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Chimera

To Tela: "If our genie friend here is fine with it."

17. - Top - End - #47

"She said it is rather distinctive. Wind Walk is a spell I can not cast. Can any of you? If not we should we get there immediately. If we can't find it once there then a divination may be needed."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

"I cannot cast that spell. What I know is limited. I have not talent for travelling in such fashion."

19. - Top - End - #49

Chimera

"In that case, since time is of the essence, we should leave right now."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

"We shall be on our way then. Thank you for your time, Haiten Bhaq."

Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

The thin male, standing next to his towering counterpart, bows to the genie, too, and says "Yes, thank you for your time, wisdom and knowledge." and bows again as he gives Jack a smack on the shoulder. "Let us get going, shorty."

22. - Top - End - #52

Chimera

Jack notices the movement, and in a flicker of blue light, he is 10 feet back and his sword is out of its sheath before he realizes Kyornor wasn't attempting to stab him. He eyes the other male with blatant distrust.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Assassin Rush for 1 mana.
    He doesn't dislike Kyornor, but Jack's got a bubble of NOPE around him where anything that gets too close gets the sharp and pointy portion of his sword.

"To the Hanging Forest."
    He sheathes his sword, grabs his mount, and leaves.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The genie tells the rest of you “You’re welcome, and good luck. I would hope that you will not face sabotage from within your own group, but he is one to watch, I think.”

24. - Top - End - #54

Faazeran nods in gracious thanks to the genie and heads outside. Once the group is vaporized and en route she addresses the group mentally. She was not happy. Let's get this straight. We Four are going up against a major House. There is no room for distrust among ourselves. We need to get past our instinct to fight among ourselves. House Rasivrein are masters of slave raids in part by knowing total loyalty to The House is required during a mission. Anyone hindering a mission gets added to the slave pits at a minimum. Except for Tela we were chosen by our Houses for this mission. Failing this mission is failing your House. Would you want to show your face after that? Tela I hope more of your House follows your choice. If we succeed you may be up for Matron. We must work together as if we are one House here. Gaining allies to fight with us helps us but they need to see we are One in this.

Rising up to about 100 feet up her tone relaxes and becomes factual while her eyes scour the ground below with an occasional glance upward. Faazeran tells all she knows about Camazotz. I would especially expect creatures desperate for blood and swarms.

Do what you can to learn the cavern layout as we go. We may not always have this flight and we'll need to find the other Glyphs too.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

Chimera

Thumbs up Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

I trust each of you to do as our mission requires, and I will play my part. But one House or not, we're not here to rub elbows and get cozy. I can do teamwork, but I will not lay aside my instincts. If I ever had before now, my limbs would've been thrown to the driders with a laugh.

He stops, as if catching himself before saying something he shouldn't.

Look, if it makes you feel any better, we can go over team tactics. I'm sure each of us has a trick or two that can combine together. For example, if any of you uses projectiles, I can conjure a creature to coat them in flames. Anyone else mind sharing a detail?

After her comment about swarms, he mentions: Hmm... I am personally capable of dealing with masses of bats and crawling things, but I can do little to keep them from teeming around you all. Sorry.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-21 at 11:53 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

That is an acceptable start. On top of my repertoire of spells I can use telekinesis with the strength of a giant, without limit. Through it I wield a weapon at range with a size suitable for a storm giant. Through it I can move ally or foe.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Kyornor only acknowledges Faazeran's comment with an"Of course." as she interacts with Jack.

"I have some of the talents of the Spellfilchers. I can... borrow the magical abilities of friends and foes. I can attack with magical energy from range... along with some other skills and talents."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

At the mention of her potentially becoming Matron, Tela will simply grin. You said it, not me.

I've already offered most of what I can, though of course I have a number of short-term spells that may be useful. Nothing that is specifically good for fighting swarms, though.

Also, I should point out that I have an aura that interferes with teleportation.Fortunately Jack's technique was just rapid movement; but if any of you like to teleport in combat, now would be the time to tell me so I can adjust it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Greater Anticipate Teleportation, currently at a range of 70'. I can dispel and recast it at a shorter range if it will get in the way.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2019-11-21 at 05:06 PM.

Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Even at the speed of the wind, the journey is long and tedious. Navigation is only possible because of the faint glow of certain fungi (and a few other sources) on the ceiling of the vault, part of which eventually resolves into the Hanging Forest itself.

Along the way you pass over some chilly rivers of the infamous Black Blood, some hills, and the huge Caltherium lake itself; waves and even fogs sometimes rise from its chill mass.

Finally, you reach an area where an immense forest of mushrooms and fungi hold sway over the terrain, rising like trees in a surface forest. Yet this is no mere forest of fungal giants, for above, the growth is duplicated in the form of hanging mushrooms and immense sheets and vines of fungus.

About five hours after setting forth from the Shrine of Bound Earth, you spot something:

Amid the dangling vegetation of this dripping, alien forest lolls a massive, pale white vine, its bulbous, twisting form hanging from the ceiling like a bloodless tongue. From shadowed cavities along its gnarled length swarm colonies of hundreds of pale white bats, while thick webbing stretches in ghostly sheets between it and smaller growths nearby. From its bottommost tip dangles what looks like a crude wooden hunter’s platform, situated over a hundred feet above the cavern floor.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-11-21 at 10:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Chimera

Delightful. Let's investigate, Jack mentally intones, flooding his words with sarcasm.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-22 at 12:39 PM.