New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Drow Against Midnight IC

Tela will step forward at that. "My compatriot misspoke. While the Matron most likely does not intend to destroy this place, her project would bring ruin to the Underdark in her ambitions to destroy the surface.

And I assure you, we were not sent by Matron Azrinae. We have no interest in returning you or anyone else to her service."
    She pauses a moment as a thought crosses her mind. "In fact, if you are so inclined, helping us in whatever ways you can could be the best revenge you might gain. Just imagine - having contributed to the embarrassment of the Matron's greatest failure."

Diplomacy: (1d20+25)[41]
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The drider replies "Misspoke, or more likely, you are both making this up as you go along!

Well then, why are you here?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As noted in the 16, we will try this for Diplomacy.
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-03-12 at 08:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Faazeran

"No, Matron Azrinae does not intend to destroy this place, but she knows that is a result of Earthfall. Do you know the shaiten genie Haiten Bhaq at the Shrine of Bound Earth? We spoke to her. The Matron expects to force the genie to help rebuild afterward. Haiten Bhaq instead directed us here to the Hanging Forest to stop the Matron's plan."

"Think about it. If we worked for the Matron who you escaped from, wouldn't our orders be to kill you on sight?"

Faazeran looks to Tela to continue.

Show
    Aid Other Diplomacy (1d20+4)[20]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

When the drider threatens to kill them, Jack barely suppresses his laugh from escaping his throat, resulting in a half-snort, half-choked sound.
    A grin stays on his face while his more eloquent companions negotiate for information, though his eyes remain focused on the room around them. You should never assume a potential enemy is alone, after all, regardless of appearances.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Tela
    Show
    Tela detects one mind with an intelligence of 12, that of the drider. The drider then made his saving throw.

Spoiler: detect magic
    Show
    The book on the stone lectern has a magical aura of moderate evocation. The drider has numerous auras on him.

The drider replies "Ridiculous! Why come here if you wish to stop the Matron? This place is isolated and few drow have ever been here, certainly not the Azrinae. Unless you wish to pray to the great Camazotz for aid? If so, I will pray with you, for I am now the High Priest Xizho. But that is the only aid I am willing to give."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"I would pray to the Great Camazotz, in order to gain insight into our situation. The world above, which will affect our world below, is in peril, and if it is a great death to his followers..." Kyornor says as he lets last bit trail off as he puts his weapon away and supplicates himself before the drider.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure if you want any particular roll as he isn't being duplicitous.

Sense Motive
    (1d20+4)[18]

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Xizho replies "Excellent! And the rest of you, will you join in?

In order to properly give homage to the Great Camazotz, we must draw blood. Draw a blade and cut your hand, and wipe the blood onto the altar. I will do the same. Then we will ask for guidance from the Lord of Blood."

The drider seems to be entirely sincere in everything that he has said.

OOC: In order to comply with his request, you must inflict at least 1 hp of damage on yourself with a slashing or piercing weapon.

8. - Top - End - #188

Faazeran nods. "If Earthfall comes then there will be no one left here to pay homage to the Great Camazotz. Let's see if that matters to him."

The stone tablet floating next to her floats back to its place on the table. The tiny skull floats back to Telas' hand. A dagger from Faazeran's belt unsheathes itself while Faazeran glides over to the altar. She opens her right palm facing upward. The dagger, controlled by a barely seen magical hand, slices into the fleshy part of her hand. She allows the blood to pool in her hand while concealing any grimace. With a flick of her wrist she splatters blood on the altar then rubs her palm on the altar to add to her offering.

Show
    2hp of blood, more than asked for.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"Excellent" the drider says as he descends to the floor. He wears a cloak and carries a spear.

He bites his own hand and presses his hand onto the altar, leaving a bloody handprint.

"Now the rest of you."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Kyornor, taking a small blade out of his pocket, draws a small amount of blood and follows suit.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Tela will also do so, momentarily removing her armor crystal to not waste its power.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #192

Chimera

Seeing all of them engaging in the blood ritual, Jack sighs and reluctantly goes to the altar. He uses a crossbow bolt (one of the ones without poison) to pierce his skin, then wipes his hand into the mingled blood on the altar.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

After you all have wiped blood onto the altar, the drider begins to pray.

"Great Camazotz, it is I, your proud servant, Xizho. Drow, repeat after me:

Lord of Blood, show us the way forward, that we may continue to honor you. In your name, we will prey upon the weak and the foolish, so that they will learn to fear you. Our enemies believe themselves to be strong, but they do not honor you, so help us bring them low, and fear of your name will spread across the Darklands. Give us a sign, that we might know what they do. Guide our weapons."

He continues praying in this way for several minutes.

Finally, he finishes.

There is no visible effect from the prayer.

He says "Excellent. Though in truth, a divination spell could be a useful addition to such a prayer. I shall prepare one tomorrow."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Tela will lay a few sticks of incense at the foot of the altar. "No need for that, friend, though you could provide the appropriate offering for your god." When and if such an offering is provided, Tela will begin casting Divination.

Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Xizho replies "The offering is the blood. We have done it already."

He lights the incense with one of the candles. The scent mingles with that of the blood.

ooc: Tela can go ahead and cast the spell. Ask a question and roll 1d%.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

"Great Camazotz, we seek to destroy the Earthfall Glyphs that would bring ruin to our world. We have been lead to believe that one is nearby. Please, we must know where they are.

84 or lower: (1d100)[54]

Show

17. - Top - End - #197

Faazeran bites her lip in frustration when she realizes Xizho's ritual would have no power behind it. While Tela works her spell Faazeran addresses Xizho. They had all willingly drawn blood. That should proce the group's intent.

"You said few drow have come here. Not surprising they would hide their House considering their purpose. Of those who have come, drow or not, where did they spend time? Higher up on the vine? Is there anything else up there?"
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Xizho replies "The priests here, long dead before I arrived here, were drow. I doubt that any others have come since, until you. There is nothing of note up the vine. This place has nothing to do with the Azrinaes' plans, and never did."

As Tela casts her spell, long minutes drag on in a still tense situation. Finally, the spell is complete.

Spoiler: Tela
    Show
    Tela receives the message At the Crystal Plaza begins the true dance of hunter and hunted.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

"The Crystal Plaza. Does that mean anything to any of you?" Mentally, she recites the entire message to the other three.

Show

20. - Top - End - #200

Faazeran used the mental link to the whole party. "begins the true dance of hunter and hunted". That doesn't exclude a glyph still being here. Simply that we'll find real opposition at the plaza. Good to know. The genie said the glyph was here. Even mentioned Camazotz. Xizho here says otherwise. Both could have reasons to lie. The council directed us to the genie. She asks rhetorically. Who to believe?

We spent too long getting here to just fly away empty handed. We need to search this area thoroughly. Remember our Wind Walk spells won't last forever and we have more glyphs to find. If the drider dares get in the way then he gets squashed. We know of three items of note. The altar here, the statue below us, and the smelly tunnel below that. The statue radiated strong magic. That would seem to warrant more exploration.

Let's see how helpful the drider feels now after Tela's success.

Faazeran continues her conversation with the drider after it answers Tela. "How long have you been here? What is that smelly tunnel below the chamber?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

No, it is a riddle I do not have the answer to. Xizho, it would seem, has been helpful but it could just as easily been duplicity. We need to continue our search. Better with his help but required nonetheless. thinks back along the link to the others.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The drider tells you "Crystal Plaza? The name rings a bell. There's someplace near the far shore of the black lake with strange crystal arches. My scouting party was told to avoid it.

Days? I've lost count. More than a hundred, less than a thousand, I believe.

Tunnel? You must mean the waste chute. That's where the poop goes!

Alright, I've answered your questions as best I can. Time for you to get on with your quest, and leave this place."

23. - Top - End - #203

Faazeran's telepathic question looked for input from the others. His scouting party? He had others with him, and were subordinate to someone? Tela, he seems to respond better to you. We can continue the search here on our own in wind form, plus there is still the statue with magic below.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204

Chimera

Jack's reply is a curt, "I agree."
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2020-04-09 at 07:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

I would ask about his party, what became of them. Kyornor thinks along the link.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Tela will turn towards the drider. "What scouting party? And by whom were they told to avoid the Plaza?"

Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The drider replies “This vault is huge, so naturally the drow wanted it explored. I led a group of six driders. One day I woke up and the others were gone. Ran off, or caught by monsters, I don’t know and no longer care. The Matron herself gave the orders.”

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Kyornor nods in agreement, slowly and sagely, as he takes in what the drider is saying.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive
    (1d20+4)[17]

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Kyornor: The drider does not seem to be trying to deceive you.

30. - Top - End - #210

Verbally...
    "Matron Allevrah gave the orders?"

Mentally...
    If he says yes we can't leave him behind to warn others. Tela, do you have more divinations that can help?
    Show