New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    Oh, interesting.

In the Art section, the Giant says that he doesn't want to show the titles of the strips because he considers them to be "bonus jokes."
    But the titles are shown at the bottom of the page now. I wonder what changed?
    Technically, as reads, it's still correct. He still hasn't changed his mind about putting the title above the strips.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-03-23 at 12:45 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

In the Art section, the Giant says that he doesn't want to show the titles of the strips because he considers them to be "bonus jokes."
    I suspect technical feasibility was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Just a shout out of appreciation for the recent change to show comic titles below the comics.

Listing the last couple is also a nice touch for those who stop by intermittently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Thank you. Step one of things we haven't been able to do for a decade and a half.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Things I maybe should have checked before voting:

1) Art/General/ "An Order of the Stick Animated Series?" is answered by question 9, not question 4.

2) The Index was already using the # designation for (most) strip numbers. (There's at least one missing.) Maybe "q9" instead of "#9" to avoid confusion?

And may I thank Jasdoif for all the hard work involved in curating this Index. Especially right now, when I'm imagining going through the whole thing to check if there are other such errors ... and sitting here not doing it. (Feel free to just wait for us to point them out, instead.)

Cheers!
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Art/General/ "An Order of the Stick Animated Series?" is answered by question 9, not question 4.
    So it is...probably a copy/paste error since I picked the Roy's Boots one for the test superscript. Also because the number for webcomics as a medium was also wrongly shown as 4....Maybe the wrong number on Elan's Mother's (intentionally undecided) name was from a different copy/paste error?

Anyway, fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    2) The Index was already using the # designation for (most) strip numbers. (There's at least one missing.) Maybe "q9" instead of "#9" to avoid confusion?
    The "q" seems to me like it'd be more confusing, honestly; and trying to use some form of the word "question" is liable to disrupt the flow of reading the text, due to the additional horizontal space it'd take, and that would annoy me....Hopefully being a superscript parenthesis at the end of the link will be explanatory enough.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    🍍🍌Miko's Fight
    How Miko defeated the OOTS off-panel and captured them; with a degree of detail the Giant hasn't done "before or since"(#21).
    The Miko Fight post is possibly my favourite Giant quote of all time. I'm sure many others must have enjoyed it as much as I did. Sad that the people that didn't like it caused him to not do it again.

6. - Top - End - #186

So it is...probably a copy/paste error since I picked the Roy's Boots one for the test superscript. Also because the number for webcomics as a medium was also wrongly shown as 4....Maybe the wrong number on Elan's Mother's (intentionally undecided) name was from a different copy/paste error?

Anyway, fixed.

The "q" seems to me like it'd be more confusing, honestly; and trying to use some form of the word "question" is liable to disrupt the flow of reading the text, due to the additional horizontal space it'd take, and that would annoy me....Hopefully being a superscript parenthesis at the end of the link will be explanatory enough.
    I find that notation such as "Blah Blah BlahQ9" is nice looking.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

7. - Top - End - #187

BardGuy

I think it looks best as-is.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, interesting.

Well, obviously his mind's changed. I'm wondering what the reason is.
    I suspect technical feasibility was a factor.
    Should the quote be removed then, since it's no longer relevant? I mean people might get confused when they are reading the index and see a quote about how the strip titles aren't shown when they are shown.

9. - Top - End - #189

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Should the quote be removed then, since it's no longer relevant? I mean people might get confused when they are reading the index and see a quote about how the strip titles aren't shown when they are shown.
    The only counter-argument I have is that it explains why they are at the bottom rather than the top but I recognize I may be reading into things.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    The only counter-argument I have is that it explains why they are at the bottom rather than the top but I recognize I may be reading into things.
    Well, even in the books the titles have been below the comics, not above them....That said, I'm not opposed to something like retitling the entry as "Why the Strip Titles Weren't on the Comic Page Before".

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Well, even in the books the titles have been below the comics, not above them....That said, I'm not opposed to something like retitling the entry as "Why the Strip Titles Weren't on the Comic Page Before".
    I'd rather remove it, myself, but if littlebum and I are in the minority, how about writing "made obsolete by the site redesign of 2020" in red letters, or something along those lines?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-04-14 at 05:50 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'd rather remove it, myself, but if littlebum and me are in the minority, how about writing "made obsolete by the site redesign of 2020" in red letters, or something along those lines?

Grey Wolf
    This would be a great solution too.

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I'm in favor of keeping it, actually. Namely, the actual quote implies that technical feasibility wasn't the issue, the Giant just didn't want them shown in the first place. So we still don't know why he changed his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'd rather remove it, myself, but if littlebum and I are in the minority, how about writing "made obsolete by the site redesign of 2020" in red letters, or something along those lines?

Grey Wolf
    I'd be in favor of an asterisk that says "Hey, the Giant changed his mind on this, but we're not sure why." Definitely don't remove it, though. Keeping track of how the Giant's views have changed over time is, in my opinion, one of the more interesting aspects of this thread.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would remove, but if not, some way of marking the quote as obsolete makes sense.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

In favour of removal.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Okay.

Why the Strip Titles Aren't Above the Strip
    The titles are "bonus" jokes; The Giant prefers not to put them above the strip itself.
    #759 2010/11/20

Who wants the entry reworded, and who wants the entry removed? The two are not exclusive, of course; I can reword it well in advance of the next update cycle, at which time we could vote on whether or not to remove it.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Reword it, please.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

+1 to reword

19. - Top - End - #199

I am also in favor of rewording. That they are considered bonus jokes is still true.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

20. - Top - End - #200

Reword and keep.

21. - Top - End - #201

I vote reword.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

22. - Top - End - #202

I, too, would prefer it reworded.
    Last edited by Ortho; 2020-04-23 at 06:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

The point of the index is to facilitate discussion. If someone asks a question, and the Giant has commented on the point, we can show the comment. It's only worth keeping a comment if there is some small chance that a question will be asked in the future.

I think the chances of anyone in the future asking a question "Why aren't the titles shown?" is non-existant. Hence there is no point keeping the quote. Can anyone suggest any good reason for keeping it?

Vote for delete.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    The point of the index is to facilitate discussion. If someone asks a question, and the Giant has commented on the point, we can show the comment. It's only worth keeping a comment if there is some small chance that a question will be asked in the future.
    Rule C was rescinded a little over five years ago.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Okay; so a reword would be like....

Why the Strip Titles Weren't On the Strip Pages
    The titles are "bonus" jokes; The Giant prefers not to put them above the strip itself. (As of the 2020 server migration, the strip titles are visible below the strips)
    #759 2010/11/20

Am I missing anything?

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Rule C was rescinded a little over five years ago.
    It was rescinded as a rule but it's still the stated intent of the Index to be a research aid for the purpose of forum discussion.

Over time, we removed (after vote) most of the quotes that became redundant with the comic itself. I see this situation as very similar: The new comic page setup makes the question, and its answer, redundant.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I think the chances of anyone in the future asking a question "Why aren't the titles shown?" is non-existant. Hence there is no point keeping the quote. Can anyone suggest any good reason for keeping it?
    Should anybody ask why the titles aren’t included in the printed books.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Colossus in the Playground

As far as I recall, they are included in the printed books. Small, regular text rather than large bold - but they are included.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    As far as I recall, they are included in the printed books. Small, regular text rather than large bold - but they are included.
    Yes. Below the strip, and aligned to be next to the comic number.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Okay; so a reword would be like....

Why the Strip Titles Weren't On the Strip Pages
    The titles are "bonus" jokes; The Giant prefers not to put them above the strip itself. (As of the 2020 server migration, the strip titles are visible below the strips)
    #759 2010/11/20

Am I missing anything?
    Okay then...the entry has been updated.

Looks like about an even-ish split on whether to vote on removing it, I think....Well, if the locked-post-previews on Patreon are any indication, we're likely to have another set of questions and answers before too long; I'll worry more about it then.