New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Spoiler: (tenative) Alignment
    Show

Good Characters
    Haley, Elan, Shojo are Chaotic Good #936 2014/01/12
    Wouldn't the above suffice for the chaotic good column - are multiple entries needed?

*EDIT: this post has the quoted text edited to reflect my intention.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-07-22 at 07:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Wouldn't the above suffice for the chaotic good column - are multiple entries needed?
    I believe you're talking about broadening this entry to cover Elan and Shojo, as well as Haley:

Haley is Chaotic Good #936 2014/01/12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Facts about cosmological forces are largely unrelated to what people feel about themselves and others. Haley feels she is not "Good enough" based on a complex set of personal experiences and insecurities; the universe still dumps her in the Chaotic Good box, next to Elan and Shojo.

Anyway, the individual quotes do address different points that specifically brought alignment into question in the first place: Haley's insecurity, Elan's different treatment of Tarquin and Nale, and Shojo's dearth of story relevance. There's value in being able to link to a post that makes a specific case like that.

What's everyone else think?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I like the individual links because it covers the reasoning for each in addition to confirmation, which is super helpful when I'm trying to find a quote to use in discussion.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-23 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Too many commas
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I like the individual links, because it covers the reasoning for each in addition to confirmation, which is super helpful when I'm trying to find a quote to use in discussion.
    I hate wasting space for just "me too", but I wouldn't want it to look like it is unsupported.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My plan was to move the existing chaotic government entry into the "general" area of the Alignment section with some rewording; and put the proposed Shojo entry with the rest of the Good character entries. So the overall Alignment section would look like:

Spoiler: (tenative) Alignment
    Show

General Information
    The Morality of Deception
    "Taking advantage of someone is neither Good nor Evil, inherently. What matters is what you take advantage of them for."
    #981 2015/04/28
    "Lovable" Does Not Mean "Not Evil"
    Case in point, Thog.
    #936 2014/01/11
    Genocide is Always Evil
    See also here.
    #935 2013/12/24
    Alignment and Authorial Intent
    What does the Giant mean when he says X character is Y alignment?
    #903 2013/07/23
    🍍🍌Azure City's Chaotic Government
    Azure City's chaotic government (under Shojo) was still good, not evil.
    #891 2013/06/06
    Elan and Nale's Parentage
    How did it affect their alignment? The Giant can't fully answer because of events yet to be revealed. Elan spared Nale's life because of Elan's understanding of what it means to be good.
    #815 2011/11/18
    Alignment and Environment
    Enor and Gannji were not operating wholly outside the ethical framework of the Empire of Blood. This doesn't change the nature of their acts but does mean that the acts are not as indicative of their overall alignment as some might suppose.
    #812 2011/10/25

D&D Alignment
    Usefulness of the alignment system in D&D games
    A great aid for teaching new inexperienced players how to roleplay.
    #921 2013/09/29
    "Lawful" vs "Legal"
    More here and here.
    #891 2013/06/03
    D&D's Alignment System
    Thoughts on how it could be improved.
    #838 2012/02/18
    About Lawful Alignments
    On being Lawful in D&D and the OOTS.
    #281 2006/02/15

Specific Characters
    Evil Characters
    Everyone on Tarquin's Team is Evil
    And Tarquin is kind of like the Elan of their team. See also: here.
    #934 2013/12/08
    Redcloak is Evil #830 2012/01/23
    Tarquin is Lawful Evil #763 2010/12/07
    Belkar is Chaotic Evil #251 2005/12/01
    Nale, Sabine, and Thog are all Evil #142 2005/01/20
    Good Characters
    Haley is Chaotic Good #936 2014/01/12
    Elan is (Still) Chaotic Good
    Elan let Tarquin fall because he was using a different interpretation of Chaotic Good.
    #936 2014/01/11
    🍌Shojo is Chaotic Good #891 2013/06/05
    Durkon is Lawful Good #798 2011/07/27
    Neutral Characters
    Girard is Chaotic Neutral #980 2015/04/25
    Who Else is Neutral
    A long list of Neutral characters in the comic. See also here.
    #903 2013/07/22
    Enor & Gannji are True Neutral #812 2011/10/24
    V is True Neutral (and Always Was)
    "Vaarsuvius was never Neutral Good"; strip #11 does not suggest otherwise.
    #801 2011/08/17
    That seems fine to me. It does make more sense the quote about Shojo (a character) is in the character section while the quote about his government (not a character) isn't. And also what Peelee said.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I suppose there's little sense putting this off any longer...Looks like strong support on Shojo's alignment, and little in the way of condensing other alignment entries together, so!

Proposed Additions/Updates for Index 6.5
    🍍🍌Azure City's Chaotic Government
    Azure City's chaotic government (under Shojo) was still good, not evil.
    #891 2013/06/06 Updated at my discretion.
    🍌Shojo is Chaotic Good #891 2013/06/05 No vote required, will be included.

With nothing eligible to be voted on, there will be no vote; the Index has been updated.

Any bets on if a new Patreon Q&A is going to come out in the near future, now that I've given up on waiting for it to do these two entries in the same update?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

New batch of answers is here!

Spoiler: the answers.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    1.) Kevin Bumgarner: Was the dream V had in #623 an actual event that happened, or was V just having a bad dream based on their decision to run from battle?

Yes, it’s intended to be a memory. In the D&D rules that OOTS is loosely based on, elves don’t actually sleep—ever—and therefore do not dream. They simply enter a trance and meditate to review old memories, deciding what to keep and what to allow to fade. That’s what V is doing in that part, except they’re getting stuck on one particular memory. I used that as a riff on the classic technique of opening a scene with a dream sequence, to go back and show something that we didn’t get to see the first time.

2.) Michael Curley: Has Elan told his mother about Nale's death? Or is he waiting to see her in person?

I don’t think he would have had the opportunity to do so yet. He can’t cast sending the way Durkon and Vaarsuvius can. I suppose he could have asked one of them to send it for him, but his mother doesn’t know either one. So that would result in a strange elf or dwarf contacting her telepathically out of nowhere to tell her that her son is dead, which seems like the sort of thing Elan would be emotionally sensitive enough to avoid doing.

3.) River Psmythe: For the MitD I’ve seen a lot of speculation out there on what it is, and my two questions tie into that. I’m hoping these can be answered without spoiling anything. I realize saying who would be, so I’m hoping only for yes/no here. First, has anyone out there that you’ve seen guessed right? Second, has anyone out there made a guess or come to the wrong conclusion but made you think ‘that’s better than what it really is, even for a second?’

Obviously I cannot answer the first question. If I say yes, then everyone will go scouring through the internet to get a fixed list of what he could or could not be, and if I say no, then they will throw out all the existing guesswork and start over. Either way, I’ll be spoiling something. And besides which, I don’t really read what people are speculating in the first place and I’m not about to start, so I have no actual way of knowing.

For the second question: No, because if he was something else then it wouldn’t fit everything that is going to happen and has already happened. It’s not a guessing game I added to the strip just for extracurricular fun and games, it’s part of the story. There’s no answer that’s better than what he is because everything written for the last 15 years has been written with that answer in mind.

4.) [bɜnd͡ʒəmɪn t͡ʃəɹkaskʰi]: what made you decide to add a new character to the main cast so late in the story?

I presume you’re referring to Minrah, in which case the answer is clearly, “I didn’t, really.” Minrah is traveling with the team and helping them out, but she is not a member of the main cast, which is and has always been numbered at six. She’s closer to Blackwing or Bandana—an important ally, but not a main protagonist. The difference is, I’m not going to be delving deeply into Minrah’s backstory and she’s not going to get a huge amount of solo spotlight time to work through whatever personal issues she needs to sort out in her life. To be honest, there’s not going to be enough room for that from here on out. She has an important role to play, certainly, both in terms of her working relationship with Durkon and some specific events that will be happening, but the story is not really going to focus on her development.

So the answer to the qustion of why I decided to add her, regardless of her character status, is that bringing her in gave me a unique opportunity to look at my main characters from the outside and see how they’ve changed since the beginning of the comic. And to tell new jokes—it’s always good to have a fresh face with a new point of view so I’m not rehashing the same gags over and over.

5.) joel kramer: The artwork upgrade for the Julio Scoundrél story in SSaDT bears a striking similarity to that in Utterly Dwarfed. Did you use that short story as a test for the art upgrade in the main strip or did the main strip upgrade idea come first?

I suppose more the former, but I wasn’t actually thinking of it that way. I was casting about looking for a way to make the art more special for the Julio story and came up with that solution. Some of the techniques I used in that story I really liked, so when I was getting frustrated by the limits of my regular style toward the end of Blood Runs in the Family, I started thinking about porting the more helpful parts over to the main strip. But not all of it; the shadows in the Julio story would’ve been a nightmare to start using on every panel of the color comic, and I didn’t really like how the speech balloons came out. So yeah, I guess it was a test bed, but it wasn’t an intentional one at the time.

6.) Leo Barlach: How often do you go back to old comics when writing new ones? For example, to connect Hylda and Durkon's plot last book, how much did you need to check comics from the first book?

Less often than I should, because I keep making mistakes where I think my memory is better than it is. But certainly yes, for something like Hilgya’s reappearance, I thought it was important to go back and look at exactly what was said and done in that original scene. I don’t know how to really quantify that, other than to say I try to do it more often than I think I should and end up doing it less than I actually need to.

7.) K G: How much thought do you put into your characters’ names? I was wondering at what stage in the creative process you assign a name to a new character, and the extent that the name is influenced by that character’s prospective personality. In particular, I was thinking of Vaarsuvius’s similarity to Vesuvius, but I’d also be interested to know if there’s any significance in the more common names.

I am much more influenced by how names sound than by any meaning for them. The important thing is for names to sound different from one another so it’s hard for readers to confuse characters. After all, people butcher the name Xykon constantly (Zykon, Xyklon, Xkon) but everyone still knows who they’re talking about because no other character in the strip has a name even close to his. My big mistake in this category came early, when I named the starting dungeon the Dungeon of Dorukan even though I had Durkon in my main cast.

For the name Vaarsuvius, no, I wasn’t specifically trying to reference Mt. Vesuvius. I was trying to come up with something that sounded elaborate and vaguelly formal, in order to differentiate V from the other one-word name character, Elan. I wanted V to have a unique first syllable and a name that didn’t look the same as anyone else’s in print. Any connection to anything in the real world most noted for exploding in a overwhelming display of fiery obliteration is a pleasant coincidence, though I suppose it’s possible that as V progressed, that aspect of their character may have been influenced by their name rather than vice versa.

8.) Erin S.: Something that's been nagging me for a while; did you intend to make V "genderqueer" (quote marks because of the explanation from the first round of questions) from the start, or was it just a happy accident?

It was more or less a happy accident. I’ve told this story before, but it basically came about because early readers of the first few strips disagreed on V’s gender, and rather than correct anyone, I latched onto and ran with that. So if you define “the start” as the literal very beginning, then no, but if you definie it as “the first 5 or 6 strips” then yes. And no, it doesn’t matter what I thought V’s gender was before those readers said anything, because it turns out I was wrong.

Even though I played it for laughs at times during the early days, I always tried to make it so that V themselves was never the butt of the joke; it was always Belkar looking like a fool for caring so much, or Roy getting frustrated because he’s uncomfortable with ambiguity. I don’t know if I succeeded at that, but that was my intent. Generally, readers’ feedback on V has always been very positive, though I do think some of the jokes from those early days probably wouldn’t stand scrutiny today. At this point, though, it’s just become something that’s a fact about the character, who I think is far more defined by their actions during the story than their gender presentation.

9.) Abraham Kotev emet: Would you consider publishing new comics on a constant pace? Once a week, for example? I would love it if I could expect when the next comic strip will be released. Sometimes it's couple of days and sometimes it can arrive to two weeks.

This is a question that I have addressed many times in the past, but I realize that not everyone sees everything I’ve written, and also some readers are relatively new to the comic and may not have been around years ago when I used to talk about it more frequently, so I think it’s important that I give a definitive answer: What you’re suggesting is not something I can actually do.

I can’t flip a switch and speed up the pace of creating comics. I publish them as soon as each one is finished, give or take some time differences (I don’t generally update in the middle of the night). So if a strip takes two weeks to show up, that’s because it took two weeks to make. That might be because the art was particularly complex, especially for new scenes with splash panels or the like. It might also mean the script was unusually difficult, which can itself take several forms. The current strip as of this writing, #1208, is a good example of a situation where the entire conversation occurring needed to be continually finessed to make sure it was saying exactly what I wanted it to say. Sometimes I will complete an entire comic and then realize that something else needs to happen before those particular events to give them context, so I put that aside and start a new page—which often leads to that second page coming out faster, unless I see yet more problems in the interim and need to rework it. The fact that there is no opportunity for editing the story after each installment is released means that I must make sure all of the work of fitting it into my overarching tale needs to happen during the creation of that individual strip, rather than during a traditional “editing pass,” and there’s no way to put a fixed limit on how long that process takes. It varies wildly.

Now, you might think to yourself, “But such-and-such comic produces pages at a higher pace!” Well, I’m not the author of such-and-such comic, I’m the author of this one. I fully concede that other creators are far more efficient at producing finished artwork than I am, even artwork that is significantly more detailed than mine, and further I am willing to stipulate that I would probably be more successful and happier and just generally better off if I could match their creative output pace. I can’t. I wish I could. After literally every comic, I say to myself that I’m going to post the next one in two or three days, and it only rarely works out that way. There are a lot of reasons why, ranging from physical limitations related to my health to economic circumstances such as the need to simultaneously be working on paid products in order to pay my bills. Maybe, if I was perfectly healthy and independently wealthy, I would produce faster. But maybe not; it is not unheard of for me to spend a whole day staring at my script looking for a punchline. And maybe I could build up a buffer of completed strips if I didn’t post any for a few months, but I try to do that every time I take a hiatus and what usually happens is that I obsess over the art and words too much and take a month to finish each one. Sometimes, the only thing that forces me to stop fiddling with a comic and push it out the door is the pressure of knowing how many days it’s been since I updated.

So there’s no way for me to speed the process up other than being a different person with different issues, at which point this would probably be a different story. If you want this exact story, I’m sorry to say that you’re stuck with this particular messed-up brain attached to this specific beat-up thumb, and they’re both already working at their maximum sustainable pace.

10.) Gregory Pratt: Any thoughts on trying to get OOTS back into a magazine again?

No, I don’t think so. I’ve tried it twice, first with Dragon Magazine and then with Gygax Magazine, and I think I don’t really enjoy the format. I can’t tell much of a story with a comic that only comes out one page per month where not every reader will necessarily have bought the previous issue, and I certainly can’t write one as complex as the online comic without the ability for readers to reference an archive. It was fun when I did it, but I’m really a lot more interested in the story than thinking up one-off gags over and over, especially when I can’t hang them on the ongoing plot.

11.) Tomer Mlynarsky: Why did Nale hate Malack so much as opposed to the rest of Tarquin's gang?

This question is sort of a category error, in that it presumes that the variable between how much Nale plotted the murder of Malack versus how much he plotted the murder of everyone else was the strength of his feelings about Malack, rather than the difficulty of the murder itself. In other words, Nale likely hated them all equally but spent more effort planning Malack’s death because Malack was harder to kill. Given his well-documented love of intricate plans, it’s reasonable to assume that he viewed it as a puzzle that was enjoyable to solve in its own right.

12.) Brian Leybourne: Will there ever be another not-in-the-main-storyline book (such as 0, -1, 1/2 and D) or will OOTS as a whole be wrapping up at the end of this book?

Both things can be true. OOTS as a whole will be wrapping up at the end of this book, but that’s still a while off and there are a few more events that need to be recounted before that happens. I suppose I also can’t rule out some stories that don’t get released until after the main series ends, but there are no plans for a full-on spin-off or sequel or what have you.

13.) Andrea: We love the Order of the Stick coloring book from the Kickstarter campaign. Would you ever be willing to create more coloring pages for your youngest fans, even just as PDFs on Gumroad?

That’s a great idea. I feel like I should also point out in the meantime that all five existing sets of the A Monster for Every Season line of print-out game miniatures include a black-and-white line art version that can be used for coloring. Each set has 300-400 different monsters you can print out and color. And then you can cut them out and fold them up into little figures you can play with. I mean, your kids. Your kids can play with them. Wink.

I vote we include the whole lot.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-07-31 at 08:09 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is what I get for having a life, I miss stuff like this, don't worry, I'll do better and from now on never stop checking the forums ever. Since Fyraltari simply reproduced the answers, I'll keep the tradition up (and also cause I have my opinions and whatever)

1.The dream-like thing V is having in 623 is a memory V is going over. I'll go with a weak yes cause its a bit ambiguous.
    2. Elan hasn't really had the chance to tell Elan's Mother about Nale's death. I haven't seen many people talking about this as a question so I'll go with a light no.
    3. Their is no choice for the MitD better than what he is, because he has to be what he is for what has happened and is going to happen. I feel like similar stuff is already there so add this to that if its there, if I'm wrong yes.
    4. Minrah is not a main character, she is an ally, who was added to show a different perspective on the core six (and tell new jokes). Clear cut yes.
    5. Rich deliberately ported some of the techniques from the Julio Scoundrel story into the main comic. Not really sure.
    6. Rich looks back at older comics more than he thinks he needs to but less than he should. Light no
    7. Rich chooses names based on how they sound rather than literal meaning, some stuff on V's name in particular. Maybe, idk
    8. Information on V's gender and the history. I think most of it was said before but the bit about trying to avoid V's gender being the butt of the joke is interesting as an add-on.
    9. Stuff on updating and Rich's pace. Yes, its interesting with a enough new information.
    10. Rich isn't interesting in putting OOTS in a magazine again because he couldn't really tell a story. Maybe?
    11. Nale planning to kill Malack was so complex because it was harder than killing the rest of the Vector Legion, not because he hated him more. This is interesting definitely yes
    12. Stuff about side books, I'm not sure enough on what its saying to decide if its good enough maybe
    13. Rich thinks more coloring pages would be a great idea (and in the meantime, a Monster for Every Season does have line art where you can color stuff). I'd say yes
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

9. - Top - End - #309

Any bets on if a new Patreon Q&A is going to come out in the near future, now that I've given up on waiting for it to do these two entries in the same update?
    Off by only three days...

And I second Fyraltari's vote: nothing's really worth excluding, so let's include them all.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    New batch of answers is here!

I vote we include the whole lot.
    1.Yes for the answer about V's dream. It's story-related enough and interesting, and it clarifies something that's potentially confusing. I wouldn't be terribly sorry to not see it indexed, though.
    2. Yes - interesting insight into Elan's decision-making process. Basically, if something is story-related and interests me, it's an automatic yes from me.
    3. No, everything here has already been said somewhere else.
    4. Yes; reading this really helped me understand how Rich sees Minrah's status in the story, and clarified why she was introduced at such a late juncture.
    5. I'm not voting on this one. It doesn't interest me, but I can imagine why it might interest other people. Basically, I can't tell whether it would be important to people who care about this sort of thing.
    6. No. I don't think this is a particularly significant question or answer.
    7. Yes, definitely. How an author thinks about names and what priorities he has in mind when choosing them is very interesting for lots of aspiring writers (or at least it is to me). It's also interesting, and probably surprising, at least to most readers, that the connection between Vaarsuvius and Vesuvius doesn't seem to be deliberate.
    8. Yes, with the proviso that, as Schroeswald suggested, it should be an add-on to an existing entry. Most of the information is old but there's some new stuff, most notably the statement that Rich "was wrong" about V's gender being fe/male early on, and Rich's intent in how he wrote the jokes about V's gender.
    9. A weak yes, but only as an add-on to an existing entry. There's very little new information here, although some of the details are new.
    10. Yes - it's notable that Rich doesn't think OOTS will appear in a magazine again, and it's also interesting to hear why he thinks that.
    11. Yes. A bit weird, because it contradicts what I thought that comic was saying fairly clearly - that Nale had a specific hatred for Malack above and beyond any hatred he had for the rest of the Vector Legion - but because it does that, it clearly provides new information about an important character, so it obviously merits inclusion.
    12. No, there isn't any new information. The only potentially useful new stuff there is that Rich still hasn't ruled out other side books, but since we already have confirmation that he hasn't ruled that out from not-that-long-ago, I don't think it's worth including this. Also, as Schroeswald said, it's not the most clearly-written answer, so honestly, including it might obfuscate more than it would enlighten.
    13. No, this is basically just telling a fan that he likes her idea and reiterating some information that is already public.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-07-31 at 04:49 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

This is what I get for having a life, I miss stuff like this
    I’m not sure how to react to this.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #312

I’m not sure how to react to this.
    I wasn't the very first person to inform the thread of the post because I was doing something besides focusing only on the forums, and that means I did something wrong, I can never not be the very first person to post in the thread about it.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

13. - Top - End - #313
    Firbolg in the Playground

Most of these would be good additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    12. No, there isn't any new information. The only potentially useful new stuff there is that Rich still hasn't ruled out other side books, but since we already have confirmation that he hasn't ruled that out from not-that-long-ago, I don't think it's worth including this. Also, as Schroeswald said, it's not the most clearly-written answer, so honestly, including it might obfuscate more than it would enlighten.
    Most of the answer boils down to "maybe", so it's not super useful. Still, I don't think we have a quote that explicitly says the Giant has no plans for a sequel. This alone is worth including, imo.

I think we can include everything as-is, except:

3. Redundant with the "The MitD Reveal is a Crucial Part of the Story" quote and its add-on.

8. Redundant with the "V's Gender History" quote. I'm not convinced the additional remarks in yesterday's answer are important enough to warrant an add-on.

9. This isn't entirely new, but is the clearest version of the answer to a question that pops up pretty regularly. I suggest adding this answer, and making the existing "A Buffer of Strips Wouldn't Help" quote an add-on to it.

13. Isn't about the comic.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    13. No, this is basically just telling a fan that he likes her idea and reiterating some information that is already public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    13. Isn't about the comic.
    I'm not even sure how I could make a meaningful entry out of that one...I'm pretty sure allusions to the Giant's various A Monster for Every Season posts are exactly the kind of thing Rule B-3 is supposed to prohibit, and the nonanswer is (obviously) not substantive.

Anyway, assuming that gets resolved somehow....

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    # Question In Favor Against Disposition Voters
    1 "Was the dream V had in #623 an actual event that happened, or was V just having a bad dream based on their decision to run from battle?"
    (A memory.)
    5 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid

Against:
    2 "Has Elan told his mother about Nale's death? Or is he waiting to see her in person?"
    (No, he hasn't.)
    4 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid

Against: Schroeswald
    3 "For the MitD I’ve seen a lot of speculation out there on what it is, and my two questions tie into that. I’m hoping these can be answered without spoiling anything. I realize saying who would be, so I’m hoping only for yes/no here. First, has anyone out there that you’ve seen guessed right? Second, has anyone out there made a guess or come to the wrong conclusion but made you think ‘that’s better than what it really is, even for a second?’"
    (Not answering, and that can't happen.)
    3 2 Vote-able In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050

Against: Emanick, Gwynfrid
    4 "what made you decide to add a new character to the main cast so late in the story?"
    (Didn't, though Minrah still has important roles.)

Against:
    5 "The artwork upgrade for the Julio Scoundrél story in SSaDT bears a striking similarity to that in Utterly Dwarfed. Did you use that short story as a test for the art upgrade in the main strip or did the main strip upgrade idea come first?"
    (Not deliberately, but technically yes.)
    3 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Gwynfrid

Against:
    6 "How often do you go back to old comics when writing new ones? For example, to connect Hylda and Durkon's plot last book, how much did you need to check comics from the first book?"
    (Not often enough.)
    3 2 Vote-able In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Gwynfrid

Against: Schroeswald, Emanick
    7 "How much thought do you put into your characters’ names? I was wondering at what stage in the creative process you assign a name to a new character, and the extent that the name is influenced by that character’s prospective personality. In particular, I was thinking of Vaarsuvius’s similarity to Vesuvius, but I’d also be interested to know if there’s any significance in the more common names."
    (Most important that they sound distinct from each other.)
    4 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid

Against:
    8 "Something that's been nagging me for a while; did you intend to make V "genderqueer" (quote marks because of the explanation from the first round of questions) from the start, or was it just a happy accident?"
    (Not at the very beginning, but close.)
    4 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick

Against: Gwynfrid
    9 "Would you consider publishing new comics on a constant pace? Once a week, for example? I would love it if I could expect when the next comic strip will be released. Sometimes it's couple of days and sometimes it can arrive to two weeks."
    (No.)

Against:
    10 "Any thoughts on trying to get OOTS back into a magazine again?"
    (Not likely to happen.)
    4 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid

Against:
    11 "Why did Nale hate Malack so much as opposed to the rest of Tarquin's gang?"
    (He didn't, really.)

Against:
    12 "Will there ever be another not-in-the-main-storyline book (such as 0, -1, 1/2 and D) or will OOTS as a whole be wrapping up at the end of this book?"
    (Maybe another sidestory book after the main story ends, but nothing's planned.)
    3 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Gwynfrid

Against: Emanick
    13 "We love the Order of the Stick coloring book from the Kickstarter campaign. Would you ever be willing to create more coloring pages for your youngest fans, even just as PDFs on Gumroad?"
    (Advertising copy.)
    3 2 Vote-able In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050

Spoiler: Breakdown by Poster
    Show
    Voter 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    Fyraltari
    Schroeswald
    mjp1050
    Emanick
    Gwynfrid

15. - Top - End - #315

1.) Kevin Bumgarner: Was the dream V had in #623 an actual event that happened, or was V just having a bad dream based on their decision to run from battle?
    Huh, I just realized I've been wildly misinterpreting that scene all along. I thought it was showing a current scene of Azurites who have somehow survived the last few months in Azure City without being caught, and that the person who thinks they bumped into V didn't actually do so (since V is long gone). I thought it was just to set up the joke of the soldier saying "I hope you choke," followed by V gasping.

It never occurred to me that it was a flashback to something that V was remembering.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Huh, I just realized I've been wildly misinterpreting that scene all along. I thought it was showing a current scene of Azurites who have somehow survived the last few months in Azure City without being caught, and that the person who thinks they bumped into V didn't actually do so (since V is long gone). I thought it was just to set up the joke of the soldier saying "I hope you choke," followed by V gasping.

It never occurred to me that it was a flashback to something that V was remembering.
    Panel 1 of 623 is more or less a direct continuation of panel 8 of 452.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-01 at 08:30 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #317
    Colossus in the Playground

True - but the link's wrong. This is 623.

Panel 1 of 623
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #318

Ooh, we voting? I know I'm not a thread regular but I'd like to be in your chart with the smiley faces.

Spoiler: My votes, if it counts:
    Show
    1. No, it's about a single strip that was almost 600 strips ago, not interesting at this point.

2. Yes, new information about recent in-comic events.

3. Undecided, it's similar to earlier answers on the MitD but it's nice to have a couple of points stated this clearly.

4. Yes, relevant to current arc of the comic.

5. Yes, interesting background information.

6. Yes, interesting background information.

7. Yes, same.

8. Yes (could be added to the current entry on V's gender). Makes things really clear.

9. Yes, unfortunately people do ask this kind of thing a lot.

10. Yes

11. Yes, fills in some important background.

12. No, redundant with "There will be seven books", which we have.

13. No opinion.

19. - Top - End - #319

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    Ooh, we voting? I know I'm not a thread regular but I'd like to be in your chart with the smiley faces.
    Not an official vote yet, but it's actually even more influential - and yes, your opinions get to be in the chart! This is where the thread decides what does and doesn't need a full vote. Also, welcome!
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Colossus in the Playground

Include them all.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    Well, not formally a vote at this point...but you can certainly express your opinions that way. Normally it'd just be a bunch of conversion about a new comment the Giant made; but with this many coming in at once, lists (that look a vote) are easier for everyone to keep track of.

And if you can post, you can vote; so your opinion would still count if this was a formal vote.

Anyway, again assuming someone comes up with a way #13 would not violate Index rules....
    Show
    1 "Was the dream V had in #623 an actual event that happened, or was V just having a bad dream based on their decision to run from battle?"
    (A memory.)
    6 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Kish

Against: Sir_Norbert
    2 "Has Elan told his mother about Nale's death? Or is he waiting to see her in person?"
    (No, he hasn't.)
    6 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish

3 "For the MitD I’ve seen a lot of speculation out there on what it is, and my two questions tie into that. I’m hoping these can be answered without spoiling anything. I realize saying who would be, so I’m hoping only for yes/no here. First, has anyone out there that you’ve seen guessed right? Second, has anyone out there made a guess or come to the wrong conclusion but made you think ‘that’s better than what it really is, even for a second?’"
    4 2 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050, Kish

4 "what made you decide to add a new character to the main cast so late in the story?"
    7 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish

Against:
    5 "The artwork upgrade for the Julio Scoundrél story in SSaDT bears a striking similarity to that in Utterly Dwarfed. Did you use that short story as a test for the art upgrade in the main strip or did the main strip upgrade idea come first?"
    5 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish

Against:
    6 "How often do you go back to old comics when writing new ones? For example, to connect Hylda and Durkon's plot last book, how much did you need to check comics from the first book?"
    (Not often enough.)
    5 2 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish

7 "How much thought do you put into your characters’ names? I was wondering at what stage in the creative process you assign a name to a new character, and the extent that the name is influenced by that character’s prospective personality. In particular, I was thinking of Vaarsuvius’s similarity to Vesuvius, but I’d also be interested to know if there’s any significance in the more common names."
    6 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish

Against:
    8 "Something that's been nagging me for a while; did you intend to make V "genderqueer" (quote marks because of the explanation from the first round of questions) from the start, or was it just a happy accident?"
    6 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Sir_Norbert, Kish

9 "Would you consider publishing new comics on a constant pace? Once a week, for example? I would love it if I could expect when the next comic strip will be released. Sometimes it's couple of days and sometimes it can arrive to two weeks."
    (No.)
    7 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish

Against:
    (Not likely to happen.)
    6 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish

Against:
    (He didn't, really.)

Against:
    12 "Will there ever be another not-in-the-main-storyline book (such as 0, -1, 1/2 and D) or will OOTS as a whole be wrapping up at the end of this book?"
    (Maybe another sidestory book after the main story ends, but nothing's planned.)
    4 2 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Kish

Against: Emanick, Sir_Norbert
    13 "We love the Order of the Stick coloring book from the Kickstarter campaign. Would you ever be willing to create more coloring pages for your youngest fans, even just as PDFs on Gumroad?"
    (Advertising copy.)
    4 2 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Schroeswald, mjp1050, Kish

Spoiler: Breakdown by Voter
    Show
    Voter 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    Fyraltari
    Schroeswald
    mjp1050
    Emanick
    Gwynfrid
    Sir_Norbert
    Kish

22. - Top - End - #322

Yes to all.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

23. - Top - End - #323

By the way, anyone here a Patron? There's a total of one comment on the Patreon post, and it's a question which has an answer here in the Index. Anyone want to go link it for that supporter?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

24. - Top - End - #324

I'd say include all.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

I would like to retract my support of answer #13.
    I still support the inclusion of the other twelve, though.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

I would like to retract my support of answer #13.
    I still support the inclusion of the other twelve, though.
    So noted. Probably just as well; without a viable entry there's not really much sense in tracking it....

Anyway, so we're up to....
    Show
    (A memory.)
    8 1 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

(No, he hasn't.)
    8 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

6 2 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

9 0 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

Against:
    7 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

Against:
    (Not often enough.)
    7 2 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

8 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

Against:
    8 1 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

(No.)
    9 0 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

Against:
    (Not likely to happen.)
    8 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

Against:
    (He didn't, really.)

Against:
    6 2 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With the exception of 13, I think they're all fine to include. I'm a bit on the fence about 1, 3, and 12 but not to the point where I am actively against their inclusion.

Peelee’s Lotsey

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    (A memory.)
    8 1 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

(No, he hasn't.)
    9 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari, Jaxzan Proditor

6 2 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

10 0 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari, Jaxzan Proditor

Against:
    8 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari, Jaxzan Proditor

Against:
    (Not often enough.)
    8 2 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari, Jaxzan Proditor

9 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari, Jaxzan Proditor

Against:
    9 1 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari, Jaxzan Proditor

(No.)
    10 0 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari, Jaxzan Proditor

Against:
    (Not likely to happen.)
    9 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Emanick, Gwynfrid, Sir_Norbert, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari, Jaxzan Proditor

Against:
    (He didn't, really.)

Against:
    6 2 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Kish, Personification, 137ben, Fyraltari

Show

I suspect it's not going to move a whole lot further from this point...So, entry titles/descriptions:

Proposed Additions/Updates for Index 6.6
    🍌Don't Expect More OotS Magazine Strips(#10)
    "It was fun when I did it, but I'm really a lot more interested in the story than thinking up one-off gags over and over, especially when I can't hang them on the ongoing plot."
    #1208 2020/07/31 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    🍌Elan Hasn't Told his Mother about Nale's Death(#2)
    "I don't think he would have had the opportunity to do so yet."
    🍌How a Name Sounds is More Important Than Its Meaning(#7)
    "After all, people butcher the name Xykon constantly (Zykon, Xyklon, Xkon) but everyone still knows who they're talking about because no other character in the strip has a name even close to his."
    🍌Minrah Isn't a "Main Cast" Character(#4)
    "Minrah is traveling with the team and helping them out, but she is not a member of the main cast, which is and has always been numbered at six."
    🍌On Nale's Focus on Malack(#11)
    "....Nale likely hated (the Vector Legion) equally but spent more effort planning Malack's death because Malack was harder to kill."
    🍌On the Flashback in 623(#1)
    "...it's intended to be a memory."
    🍌The Comic Cannot Be Posted on a Consistent Basis(#9)
    "What you're suggesting is not something I can actually do."
    🍌The Giant Does Check Older Comics For Consistency(#6)
    "...for something like Hilgya's reappearance, I thought it was important to go back and look at exactly what was said and done in that original scene."
    🍌The Julio Scoundrél story in Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales Indirectly Inspired the New Art Style(#5)
    "...I guess it was a test bed, but it wasn't an intentional one at the time."
    🍌There Could Possibly Be More Side-Story Books In the Future(#12)
    "I...can't rule out some stories that don't get released until after the main series ends, but there are no plans for a full-on spin-off or sequel or what have you."
    🍌There is no "Better" Possibility for What MitD ( ) Is(#3)
    "It's not a guessing game I added to the strip just for extracurricular fun and games, it's part of the story. There's no answer that's better than what he is because everything written for the last 15 years has been written with that answer in mind."
    🍍🍌Vaarsuvius is Genderqueer(#6)
    But "not talking about gender is just culturally part of being an elf". See also here(#8) ("Even though I played it for laughs at times during the early days, I always tried to make it so that V themselves was never the butt of the joke....")
    #1193 2020/03/01 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.

29. - Top - End - #329

I'd like to float the idea of altering this summary:
    Religions and Deities in OOTS World
    Background details on who worships whom, and on Thor, Hel, and the Twelve Gods.
    To mention Tsukiko. The reason being that after seeing the thread asking if Tsukiko was a godless cleric, I opened all the spoilers on the first page of this thread and CTRL+F'ed for "Tsuk" looking for that quote. I'm not sure exactly what the wording should be, though.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    The reason being that after seeing the thread asking if Tsukiko was a godless cleric, I opened all the spoilers on the first page of this thread and CTRL+F'ed for "Tsuk" looking for that quote.
    I don't think it'd preempt "well what if she got her clerical powers from somewhere other than the Twelve Gods even though she worshiped them", though.