New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

I am only against 5, 7 and 12. I am for the rest.

Attacks:
    5: Irrelevant to the comic
    7: This can be confirmed simply by comparing publishing and airing dates, we don't really need the author's denial.
    12: Irrelevant to the comic.

Defenses:
    1: Needs to stay just in case the author is being sarcastic
    2: Nice background info
    3: Nice glance into Redcloak's mindstate at that particular time.
    4: Nice background info, even if I disagree on the why of his answer, as plenty of real creatures were once considered mythical
    6: Nice background info
    8: For the love of The Dark One, keep this one even if you discard all the rest.
    9: Nice background info
    10: Ah, the pains of editing. All aspiring writers should learn of it.
    11: Interesting look at how the comic is written
    13: Might as well keep this, since people keep trying to deny scenes in the comic by RAW
    14: Interesting note on how the artstyle developed.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    plenty of real creatures were once considered mythical
    Can you give examples? I've never heard of this.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Most of Australia's wildlife?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #424

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sure, I'm sure I can find some:

https://www.discovery.com/nature/Myt...Out-to-Be-Real

If you don't want to click the link, I'll summarize it:

Narwhals: This was more of a Viking con where they didn't say where the horn was from, but the horns were from real creatures.

Rhinoceroses: Pliny's description of unicorn does not match the modern image: "has the head of a stag, the feet of an elephant, and the tail of a boar ... it makes a deep sound in lowing, and has a single black horn which projects from the middle of its forehead"

Platypus: Most well-known hoax that turned out to not be one

Gorilla: Human-like monsters that visit camps, not identified properly until 1847.

Giant Squid: The Kraken.

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows...ut-to-be-real/

This article reinforces Gorilla and Platypus, and adds Komodo dragons, manatees, and okapis to the list.

Komodo dragons: No one believed it existed until live examples showed up.

Manatees: Mermaids!

Okapi: You know how giraffes easily seem mythical if you've never seen one? Well, the okapi is even worse, because it's half-deer, half-zebra.
    Last edited by WanderingMist; 2021-05-01 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Typo

5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground

Exclude 1, 4, 5, 7, 12. Include 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14. Don't really care about 6.

7: This can be confirmed simply by comparing publishing and airing dates, we don't really need the author's denial.
    This. Tsukiko was dead for two years by that point.

Also suggesting expanding the note for 9 to say that Azure City was a play on Emerald City from Oz.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Sure, I'm sure I can find some:

https://www.discovery.com/nature/Myt...Out-to-Be-Real

If you don't want to click the link, I'll summarize it:

Narwhals: This was more of a Viking con where they didn't say where the horn was from, but the horns were from real creatures.

Rhinoceroses: Pliny's description of unicorn does not match the modern image: "has the head of a stag, the feet of an elephant, and the tail of a boar ... it makes a deep sound in lowing, and has a single black horn which projects from the middle of its forehead"

Platypus: Most well-known hoax that turned out to not be one

Gorilla: Human-like monsters that visit camps, not identified properly until 1847.

Giant Squid: The Kraken.

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows...ut-to-be-real/

This article reinforces Gorilla and Platypus, and adds Komodo dragons, manatees, and okapis to the list.

Komodo dragons: No one believed it existed until live examples showed up.

Manatees: Mermaids!

Okapi: You know how giraffes easily seem mythical if you've never seen one? Well, the okapi is even worse, because it's half-deer, half-zebra.
    To nearly all of those: were such creatures mythical to the indigonous populations, or to Europeans? I doubt Indonesians thought komodo dragons were mythical or central Africans thought gorrilas were mythical; its hardly their fault that foreign explorers didn't bother to believe the indigenous peoples or came in with the expectation that nothing in the flora and fauna would be different. This may be a bit unfair, since the article openly admits to this, but I still feel it's valid.

As for manatees/mermaids... Well, that's definitely a whole 'nother can of worms, but I'm leaning against saying "this fat cuddly sea cow is totally mythical because they were horrendously mis-imagined by sailors fantasizing about whatever they wanted the creatures to be". And narwhals are fairly definitively not unicorns.

Kraken I'll totally accept though.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-05-02 at 11:44 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

I think I recall hearing about a biology book where the author specified he would only talk about creatures whose existence were confirmed by (then-)modern science, so no griffins, dragons, mermaids or pelicans.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #428

Include all except 1, 4, 5, 7, 12. I agree with the reasons given by others on those ones.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Firbolg in the Playground

On second thought, I agree with WanderingMist and others that we don't need #7.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Okay.

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    # Question In Favor Against Disposition Posters
    1 "Do you regret killing fruit pie?"
    (<SarcasmOverflowException/>)
    4 8 Vote-able In Favor: Metastachydium, Kish, Precure, WanderingMist

Against: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Darth V, Jaxzan Proditor, Reboot, Yendor, Gwynfrid
    2 "Did you enjoy writing for Tarquin? Was is hard to write the pun duel between him and Elan?"
    (Yes, and no; respectively.)
    10 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Metastachydium, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid

Against: Precure
    3 "Why did Redcloak think the polymorphed hobgoblin spy had to die? Redcloak ended up telling Xykon that he destroyed the resistance and retrieved the phylactery from them, so there seems to be nothing the spy would know that needed to stay secret. Did he not want Xykon to know he could have destroyed the resistance earlier? Did he have a different plan before he killed Tsukiko? If so, was the original plan?"
    (Less risky.)
    12 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Metastachydium, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid

Against:
    4 "Are dinosaurs considered mythical creatures in the OOTS world? Or are they just ordinary animals that happen to exist in the world?"
    (No.)
    3 6 Vote-able In Favor: Kish, Reboot, WanderingMist

Against: Fyraltari, Metastachydium, Darth V, Precure, Yendor, Gwynfrid
    5 "During the Kickstarter event you did two Monsters for Every Season (Autumn 2016 and Winter 2018). I really love them. Have you considered doing more of these and offering them for sale?"
    (Yes.)
    0 10 Exclude In Favor:

Against: Metastachydium, Darth V, b_jonas, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid
    6 "How do dragons run in the OOTS universe? Is it more like a weasel or a lizard? Perhaps dachshunds?"
    (Big dogs or cats.)
    9 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Metastachydium, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Gwynfrid

Against:
    7 "I just started watching The Walking Dead a few months ago. I'm not sure if you have seen it. (Spoilers, sort of, on season 4) There is a character, a young girl, that loves the "walkers", and plays with them. She thinks they are misunderstood. This was in 2014, and I'm not sure what year Tsukiko came on scene. Was she inspired by this, a coincidence, did you think I already wrote that girl, or have you never watched TWD?"
    (No.)
    6 4 Vote-able In Favor: Fyraltari, Metastachydium, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Reboot

Against: Precure, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid
    8 "In this comic the roaches mention 9 different groups in this conflict. Have all 9 been revealed or are some still hidden?"
    (Demonic roaches betrayed you.)
    12 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Metastachydium, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid

Against:
    9 "Do citizens of Azure City/paladins/members of the Sapphire Guard dye their hair/beards shades of blue, or does it grow that color naturally?"
    (Natural.)

Against:
    10 "How much stuff winds up on your "cutting room floor"? I know you've said your scripts end up too wordy and have to be trimmed. Do you find that trimming is more often of the 'consolidation' variety or of the "that whole weird tangent about gnome commoners and railguns has to go'? do you keep a notebook/log of cool things you had to snip, in hope to find somewhere else to use it?"
    (Consolidated, mostly.)
    11 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid

Against:
    11 "Do you write the scripts for entire scenes in advance or strip-by-strip? For example did you write Durkon and redcloak's conversation in 1204-1210 all in advance and then separated it into individual pages (adding the necessary punchlines at the end of each strip) ar did you just had a rough idea of where the conversation had to be at the end of each strip and wrote that strip accordingly once the previous one was done? And do you proceed differently for conversations and battles?"
    (Both.)

Against:
    12 "By contrast, you don’t really engage with your fans on social media very much. Do you think that helps or hurts your comic, and what led you to make that decision?"
    (Not that social.)
    4 7 Vote-able In Favor: ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Kish, Reboot

Against: Metastachydium, Darth V, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid
    13 "How much of a challenge is it at this point to incorporate DnD rules into the story? I know you've said before that you don't have specific stats for characters (and don't sweat the details about every rule as written for given spells). But a comic like like #928 still requires the general knowledge of "contingency" spells. Is that mostly based on memory/continued experience playing the game? Or do you come up with a storyboarding concept for a given comic first, then figure out how to make it work with DnD rules (looking things up as needed)?"
    (Memory bound by apathy, usually.)
    13 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, snowblizz, Schroeswald, Metastachydium, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid

Against:
    14 "You had much brighter and harsher colors in the older comics, but I like the colors you have now. What made you change the colors you use?"
    (Colors evolved alongside art style and desire to publish books.)
    11 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid

Against: Metastachydium

Spoiler: Breakdown by Poster
    Show

Haven't seen any movement for a couple days, so I guess I better draft some entry wording....

Proposed Items for Index 6.9
    🍌Azurite Hair is Naturally Blue(#9)
    "... I decided to riff on Emerald City from The Wizard of Oz and make almost everything blue, including the hair of many of its inhabitants."
    #1232 2021/04/27 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    🍌How Dragons Run in OOTS(#6)
    "...I would assume something like a larger dog or even a cat."
    🍌On Animals Being "Mythical"(#4)
    "...I'm not sure what would qualify for that since there's been stats printed for pretty much every imaginary monster ever conceived at this point."
    #1232 2021/04/27 Tentative, appears will be eligible for a vote.
    🍌On Scripting by Scene or by Strip(#11)
    "In situations where a conversation needs to explicitly move the plot forward, I develop the entire scene ahead of time....But for other sorts of scenes, it's less likely that I script it completely in advance."
    🍌The Giant Hasn't Watched The Walking Dead(#7) #1232 2021/04/27 Tentative, appears will be eligible for a vote.
    🍌The Giant on Killing Off Fruit Pie the Sorcerer(#1)
    "I wail and gnash my teeth when I think about it, often because I am eating a fruit pie at the time and gnashing teeth is sort of how you do that."
    🍌The Giant's Position on Social Media(#12)
    "I write a comic, and the comic is the product, not me."
    🍌There Have Already Been More Than Nine Sides in the Comic(#8)
    "This is one of those things that I think has been maybe taken a little bit too literally, as if there are exactly nine factions involved."
    🍌Why Redcloak Thought the Polymorphed Hobgoblin Spy Had to Die(#3)
    "...the bottom line is, he was prepared to kill him if he needed to....The exact situation he might have been worried about was probably not clear even to him."
    🍍🍌The Giant Writes Everything Too Long
    In his own opinion, at least. See also here(#10) ("When I'm tight on space, I re-evaluate those clarifications to see...if I'm wasting space explaining details that 90% of the audience will get right away.").
    #980 2015/04/26 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    🍍🍌The Inspiration for Tarquin was Elan
    See also here(#2) ("It was fun to think about how to turn Elan's obsession with stories into something menacing....")
    🍍🍌Art Colors can Change
    Whether because the Giant doesn't like the old color, or because his system doesn't. See also here(#14) ("I started to pick more realistic colors for the scenery as I began drawing more complex situations, both to sell the scene and to help the characters be the visual focus of a given panel.")
    #942 2014/01/28 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    🍍🍌Evolution of D&D Adherence
    The Giant hasn't made explicit statements about feats/items since 2008, OOTS' internal consistency is still maintained, and the Giant has no regrets about using D&D in OOTS. See also the flowchart here(#13) "that explains the steps I take in incorporating the D&D rules into the comic's narrative".
    #886 2013/05/09 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Of the Giant's Patreon Q&A post 2020-04, I vote to exclude question 1, 4, 5 (Fruit Pie Sorcerer, dinosaurs mythical, more AMFES), include question 2, 3, 14 (enjoy writing Elan, Redcloak and the Goblin who got the phylactery, more muted colors), abstain regarding question 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.

For question 3, I recommend that the summary mentions something like “The fake Phylactery wasn't ready yet, so Redcloak was prepared to lie about when he recaptured the real one.” You can find the facts in the comic, but I haven't put them together, so perhaps other readers haven't either. For question 13, I'd make the statement in the table more explicit, such as “The Giant almost never looks up D&D rules or cares enough to change the script to match the rules.”

12. - Top - End - #432

If #7 makes it in, I would definitely point out that Tsukiko predates the Walking Dead TV show as part of the summary.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Of the Giant's Patreon Q&A post 2020-04, I vote to exclude question 1, 4, 5 (Fruit Pie Sorcerer, dinosaurs mythical, more AMFES), include question 2, 3, 14 (enjoy writing Elan, Redcloak and the Goblin who got the phylactery, more muted colors), abstain regarding question 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.
    Okay, that was enough to push #1 and #4 out of the vote-able range....

Spoiler
    Show
    # Question In Favor Against Disposition Posters
    1 "Do you regret killing fruit pie?"
    (<SarcasmOverflowException/>)
    4 9 Exclude In Favor: Metastachydium, Kish, Precure, WanderingMist

Against: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Darth V, Jaxzan Proditor, Reboot, Yendor, Gwynfrid, b_jonas
    2 "Did you enjoy writing for Tarquin? Was is hard to write the pun duel between him and Elan?"
    (Yes, and no; respectively.)
    11 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Metastachydium, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid, b_jonas

Against: Precure
    3 "Why did Redcloak think the polymorphed hobgoblin spy had to die? Redcloak ended up telling Xykon that he destroyed the resistance and retrieved the phylactery from them, so there seems to be nothing the spy would know that needed to stay secret. Did he not want Xykon to know he could have destroyed the resistance earlier? Did he have a different plan before he killed Tsukiko? If so, was the original plan?"
    (Less risky.)
    13 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Metastachydium, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid, b_jonas

Against:
    4 "Are dinosaurs considered mythical creatures in the OOTS world? Or are they just ordinary animals that happen to exist in the world?"
    (No.)
    3 7 Exclude In Favor: Kish, Reboot, WanderingMist

Against: Fyraltari, Metastachydium, Darth V, Precure, Yendor, Gwynfrid, b_jonas
    5 "During the Kickstarter event you did two Monsters for Every Season (Autumn 2016 and Winter 2018). I really love them. Have you considered doing more of these and offering them for sale?"
    (Yes.)
    0 10 Exclude In Favor:

Against: Metastachydium, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid, b_jonas
    6 "How do dragons run in the OOTS universe? Is it more like a weasel or a lizard? Perhaps dachshunds?"
    (Big dogs or cats.)
    9 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Metastachydium, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Gwynfrid

Against:
    7 "I just started watching The Walking Dead a few months ago. I'm not sure if you have seen it. (Spoilers, sort of, on season 4) There is a character, a young girl, that loves the "walkers", and plays with them. She thinks they are misunderstood. This was in 2014, and I'm not sure what year Tsukiko came on scene. Was she inspired by this, a coincidence, did you think I already wrote that girl, or have you never watched TWD?"
    (No.)
    6 4 Vote-able In Favor: Fyraltari, Metastachydium, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Reboot

Against: Precure, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid
    8 "In this comic the roaches mention 9 different groups in this conflict. Have all 9 been revealed or are some still hidden?"
    (Demonic roaches betrayed you.)

Against:
    9 "Do citizens of Azure City/paladins/members of the Sapphire Guard dye their hair/beards shades of blue, or does it grow that color naturally?"
    (Natural.)

Against:
    10 "How much stuff winds up on your "cutting room floor"? I know you've said your scripts end up too wordy and have to be trimmed. Do you find that trimming is more often of the 'consolidation' variety or of the "that whole weird tangent about gnome commoners and railguns has to go'? do you keep a notebook/log of cool things you had to snip, in hope to find somewhere else to use it?"
    (Consolidated, mostly.)
    11 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid

Against:
    11 "Do you write the scripts for entire scenes in advance or strip-by-strip? For example did you write Durkon and redcloak's conversation in 1204-1210 all in advance and then separated it into individual pages (adding the necessary punchlines at the end of each strip) ar did you just had a rough idea of where the conversation had to be at the end of each strip and wrote that strip accordingly once the previous one was done? And do you proceed differently for conversations and battles?"
    (Both.)

Against:
    12 "By contrast, you don’t really engage with your fans on social media very much. Do you think that helps or hurts your comic, and what led you to make that decision?"
    (Not that social.)
    4 7 Vote-able In Favor: ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Kish, Reboot

Against: Metastachydium, Darth V, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid
    13 "How much of a challenge is it at this point to incorporate DnD rules into the story? I know you've said before that you don't have specific stats for characters (and don't sweat the details about every rule as written for given spells). But a comic like like #928 still requires the general knowledge of "contingency" spells. Is that mostly based on memory/continued experience playing the game? Or do you come up with a storyboarding concept for a given comic first, then figure out how to make it work with DnD rules (looking things up as needed)?"
    (Memory bound by apathy, usually.)
    13 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, snowblizz, Schroeswald, Metastachydium, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid

Against:
    14 "You had much brighter and harsher colors in the older comics, but I like the colors you have now. What made you change the colors you use?"
    (Colors evolved alongside art style and desire to publish books.)
    12 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, ByzantiumBhuka, Schroeswald, Darth V, Kish, Jaxzan Proditor, Precure, Reboot, WanderingMist, Yendor, Gwynfrid, b_jonas

Against: Metastachydium

Spoiler: Breakdown by Poster
    Show

For question 3, I recommend that the summary mentions something like “The fake Phylactery wasn't ready yet, so Redcloak was prepared to lie about when he recaptured the real one.” You can find the facts in the comic, but I haven't put them together, so perhaps other readers haven't either.
    That sounds like it'd undercut the "didn't know exactly what he was worried about" point. (Also sounds well suited for TheWombatOfDoom's annotated companion guide.)

For question 13, I'd make the statement in the table more explicit, such as “The Giant almost never looks up D&D rules or cares enough to change the script to match the rules.”
    Seems reasonable!

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    If #7 makes it in, I would definitely point out that Tsukiko predates the Walking Dead TV show as part of the summary.
    The comic series the TV series is based on predates Tsukiko, though; I'm not sure how effective the chronology is going to be, here. Still, the entry would benefit from a description...maybe there's a compromise that doesn't call for quoting the entire thing.

So with some removals and some rewording based on the last couple posts....

"... I decided to riff on Emerald City from The Wizard of Oz and make almost everything blue, including the hair of many of its inhabitants."
    "In situations where a conversation needs to explicitly move the plot forward, I develop the entire scene ahead of time....But for other sorts of scenes, it's less likely that I script it completely in advance."
    🍌The Giant Hasn't Watched The Walking Dead(#7)
    "So if there's any connection there, it was the other way around."
    "This is one of those things that I think has been maybe taken a little bit too literally, as if there are exactly nine factions involved."
    "...the bottom line is, he was prepared to kill him if he needed to....The exact situation he might have been worried about was probably not clear even to him."
    In his own opinion, at least. See also here(#10) ("When I'm tight on space, I re-evaluate those clarifications to see...if I'm wasting space explaining details that 90% of the audience will get right away.").
    See also here(#2) ("It was fun to think about how to turn Elan's obsession with stories into something menacing....")
    🍍🍌Art Colors can Change
    Whether because the Giant doesn't like the old color, or because his system doesn't. See also here(#14) ("I started to pick more realistic colors for the scenery as I began drawing more complex situations, both to sell the scene and to help the characters be the visual focus of a given panel.")
    #942 2014/01/28 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    The Giant hasn't made explicit statements about feats/items since 2008, OOTS' internal consistency is still maintained, and the Giant has no regrets about using D&D in OOTS. See also here(#13): D&D rules used in the comic are "entirely based on memory".
    #886 2013/05/09 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.

What's everyone think?

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Okay then....

UPDATE COMING, CALLING FOR PMs TO REQUIRE VOTES

Anyone thinking entries marked "Accepting PMs to require vote" should not be included in the Index should send me a private message, saying the entries should require a vote. (The default is to include, an item not voted on will be included in the Index.) If I get PMs from two or more people about a particular entry, it will be voted on to decide inclusion; the vote will be the next stage, and I'll announce it when the vote is ready.

The other entries below reached strong consensus already. A vote is considered unnecessary in that case; they will be included.

#1232 2021/04/27 No vote required, will be included.
    🍌The Giant Hasn't Watched The Walking Dead(#7)
    "So if there's any connection there, it was the other way around."
    #1232 2021/04/27 Accepting PMs to require vote. Will be included.
    #1232 2021/04/27 Accepting PMs to require vote. PM threshold met, vote required.
    #980 2015/04/26 No vote required, will be included.
    #980 2015/04/26 No vote required, will be included.
    🍍🍌Art Colors can Change
    #942 2014/01/28 No vote required, will be included.
    The Giant hasn't made explicit statements about feats/items since 2008, OOTS' internal consistency is still maintained, and the Giant has no regrets about using D&D in OOTS. See also here(#13): D&D rules used in the comic are "entirely based on memory".
    #886 2013/05/09 No vote required, will be included.

PMs will be accepted until May 14th, 9PM EDT. I'll try to update the table if/when entries get sufficient PMs.

To send me a PM, click my username (The vaguely-pronounceable(?)-looking word above the spellcasting-and-invocation-using banana with purple hair) and select "Private Message". Or I guess you could click here. Anyway, include the title of the entries you're nominating in the message. Mentioning something about "Index Nomination" in the subject line would be helpful.

A few final reminders:

• Don't post suggestions to require votes. They're sent by PM to avoid filling up the thread with them, posts will not be counted.
    • Only PM for entries you think should be excluded. They'll be included if they don't receive sufficient nominations.
    • We're not voting on the entries yet. The voting will be the next stage; I'll call for the vote at an appropriate time.
    • We still have a banana in charge. Hi. (I neither confirm nor deny a zapped status.)

Further discussion of entries is encouraged at this point. In particular, recommendations for different titles and descriptions for the quote entries are things I'd be happy to consider.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2021-05-14 at 08:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

And we've got another vote!

Item up for voting:
    #1232 2021/04/27

• Please bold your yes/no vote, it'll make it easier for me to notice when I go through and count everything.
    • Votes must be posted (as in, not PM-ed to me) to be counted.
    • Please avoid discussing the quote itself, outside of giving an explanation for your vote in the same post as your vote. This'll make it easier to catch up after the vote, if a new quote comes along while we're still voting.
    • Per Rule F4, inclusion by vote requires a quote to have two more votes in favor than votes against.

Voting will be open until May 17th, 9PM EDT.

The other ten entries will go into the Index after the vote is concluded.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes, include.

17. - Top - End - #437

No, exclude.

18. - Top - End - #438

Yes, include.

19. - Top - End - #439

No, exclude.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

20. - Top - End - #440

Yes, include.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

21. - Top - End - #441
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I just want to be part of history.

Arin, God of Nothing, votes Yes.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No, exclude.

Peelee’s Lotsey

23. - Top - End - #443
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes, include.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

And votes of the Snowblizz jury gives 12 points to... Yes, Include

25. - Top - End - #445

I lean on the side of No.

26. - Top - End - #446

I don't understand how the Giant asking that he not be the focus of comic fandom belongs in an index focused on comic fandom. arimareiji, demi-deity of sarcastic pedantry, votes No.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

27. - Top - End - #447
    Halfling in the Playground

This quote is much more about the Giant than about the comic.

I vote No.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Damn, the suspense is griping.

Anyway, I think we ought not discuss the Giant's life outside of the comic, so I vote No.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

I concur with the above, my vote is also No.

30. - Top - End - #450

No, exclude.