New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

In case anyone missed it on the last page, new answers post by the Giant over on Patreon.

# Question In Favor Against Disposition Posters
    1 "Did you always plan for Serini to return, or did that develop as you wrote the story?"
    (Yes, she was always going to return.)
    10 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification

Against:
    2 "I'm not sure if this crosses the threshold into personal information, but I was curious about what kind of training you received as it relates to art and writing. Are you self-taught and just enjoy drawing and consuming a breadth of media or have you specifically attended classes to develop the skills you exhibit? As a related follow-up, have you considered teaching a class?"
    (Not a whole lot.)
    2 8 Exclude In Favor: mjp1050, Gwynfrid

Against: Peelee, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari
    3 "As an artist, what was The Moment when you realized, "Hey, I could do this professionally?""
    (Kind of stumbled into it.)
    3 8 Exclude In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Gwynfrid

Against: Peelee, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Jaxzan Proditor, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari
    4 "Do you ever find yourself held up on putting up a comic because you're trying to find a good title?"
    (Sort of.)
    8 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification

Against: Precure
    5 "Was there anything that you've drawn that just made you laugh after you've finished drawing it?"
    (The Coming of the Reapernana.)
    7 2 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification

Against: Schroeswald, Precure
    6 "You’ve written a lot of death scenes in the comic. Which character’s death hit you hardest emotionally to write?"
    (Sangwaan's.)
    9 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification

7 "I understand if you'd rather plead the 5th, but after years of reading our heroes go through personal struggles with their families while on their mission to save the world, I wonder if you might have seen or experienced similar ordeals. Would you be willing to talk about some of your inspirations, or am I a tactless ghoul for asking something so personal?"
    (Nothing specific.)
    8 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification

8 "Who would be the most conventionally beautiful characters (male and female) if they were drawn non-sticky?"
    (<insert curation comment about multifaceted sarcasm here/>)
    4 9 Exclude In Favor: Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, dancrilis, Personification

Against: mjp1050, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, super dark33, hroþila
    9 "Hi, I really enjoy your comic. Thor agreed with Durkon's point that the goblins got a bad deal when the gods created the OOTS world. However, the hobgoblins that Red Cloak dragooned to attack Azure City had a robust city. You showed a picture of it. Maybe goblins weren't doing so well, but those hobgoblins right there were doing OK. They overcame the obstacles that had been set before them. Why does Red Cloak feel that it is worth throwing away what has been accomplished by him and others on the chance that the next world will be better?"
    (He's the kind to overplay a hand that isn't as good as some have guessed.)
    10 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification

Against:
    10 "What is one color palette choice you made early on that you wish you could change now?"
    (Elan's initial appearance. Also Nale's initial appearance.)
    8 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification

11 "What is the alignment of each of the twelve gods? I interpreted Rat to be evil, how about others? Since, according to your previous answer, most Azurites worship the pantheon as one, how do good aligned worshipers feel about revering evil gods this way and vice versa? Does this imply that many of the followers of the religion are neutral aligned? How about the paladins in Azure city, how can they worship evil gods by proxy of worshiping the whole pantheon and still be strictly good?"
    (They kind of have to be True Neutral.)

Against:
    12 "I know this is dumb but where do dwarves get the cloth for their clothes from?"
    (<insert pithy summary of an Underdark textile industry here/>)
    6 3 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Schroeswald, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification

Against: Doug Lampert, Precure, littlebum2002
    13 "How do you come up with the designs for the covers of the books?"
    (A single dynamic image of the protagonists not spoiling the book's contents.)
    9 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    If I don't vote on the other questions, can I vote 13 times against #8?
    Since we aren't at the point of voting yet, it doesn't matter that much; you can certainly reiterate your disdain for a hypothetical entry that would make me wonder whether Rule B could benefit from more clearly reflecting usage of the "Reflections from the Author" subcategory.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #482
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Keeping in mind that I didn't intend for my comment to actually be on favor or against any of the contenders, as I stopped voting on things like this once I became a moderator.... I would like to break tradition and openly support #12, given my previous pithy commentary on that subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    This is D&D. It's a subterranean race, so they would clearly use Deep Cows. Also there's even odds the milk would be Evil.
    Deep Sheep are used for their Wiley Wool. Deep Cows are the ones that make the Malevolent Milk.
    And bonus points to the Giant for not going for the low-hanging Deep jokes.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #483
    Colossus in the Playground

Include all.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    If I don't vote on the other questions, can I vote 13 times against #8?
    Since we aren't at the point of voting yet, it doesn't matter that much; you can certainly reiterate your disdain for a hypothetical entry that would make me wonder whether Rule B could benefit from more clearly reflecting usage of the "Reflections from the Author" subcategory.
    Actually, I'll tell you what: Unless/Until someone can make a reasonably convincing case that this is actually relevant to Order of the Stick, instead of a comment about what it would be if it absolutely wasn't Order of the Stick, I'm not going to make an entry for it on account of violating Rule B.

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    1 "Did you always plan for Serini to return, or did that develop as you wrote the story?"
    11 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish

Against:
    2 "I'm not sure if this crosses the threshold into personal information, but I was curious about what kind of training you received as it relates to art and writing. Are you self-taught and just enjoy drawing and consuming a breadth of media or have you specifically attended classes to develop the skills you exhibit? As a related follow-up, have you considered teaching a class?"
    (Not a whole lot.)
    3 7 Exclude In Favor: mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Kish

Against: Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari
    3 "As an artist, what was The Moment when you realized, "Hey, I could do this professionally?""
    4 7 Vote-able In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Gwynfrid, Kish

Against: Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Jaxzan Proditor, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari
    4 "Do you ever find yourself held up on putting up a comic because you're trying to find a good title?"
    (Sort of.)
    9 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish

5 "Was there anything that you've drawn that just made you laugh after you've finished drawing it?"
    8 2 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish

Against: Schroeswald, Precure
    6 "You’ve written a lot of death scenes in the comic. Which character’s death hit you hardest emotionally to write?"
    (Sangwaan's.)
    10 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish

7 "I understand if you'd rather plead the 5th, but after years of reading our heroes go through personal struggles with their families while on their mission to save the world, I wonder if you might have seen or experienced similar ordeals. Would you be willing to talk about some of your inspirations, or am I a tactless ghoul for asking something so personal?"
    (Nothing specific.)
    9 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish

8 "Who would be the most conventionally beautiful characters (male and female) if they were drawn non-sticky?"
    5 9 Vote-able In Favor: Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, dancrilis, Personification, Kish

Against: mjp1050, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, super dark33, hroþila
    9 "Hi, I really enjoy your comic. Thor agreed with Durkon's point that the goblins got a bad deal when the gods created the OOTS world. However, the hobgoblins that Red Cloak dragooned to attack Azure City had a robust city. You showed a picture of it. Maybe goblins weren't doing so well, but those hobgoblins right there were doing OK. They overcame the obstacles that had been set before them. Why does Red Cloak feel that it is worth throwing away what has been accomplished by him and others on the chance that the next world will be better?"
    11 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish

Against:
    10 "What is one color palette choice you made early on that you wish you could change now?"
    9 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish

11 "What is the alignment of each of the twelve gods? I interpreted Rat to be evil, how about others? Since, according to your previous answer, most Azurites worship the pantheon as one, how do good aligned worshipers feel about revering evil gods this way and vice versa? Does this imply that many of the followers of the religion are neutral aligned? How about the paladins in Azure city, how can they worship evil gods by proxy of worshiping the whole pantheon and still be strictly good?"

Against:
    12 "I know this is dumb but where do dwarves get the cloth for their clothes from?"
    8 3 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Schroeswald, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Peelee, Kish

Against: Doug Lampert, Precure, littlebum2002
    10 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish

So, since posts have slowed/stopped...potential entry-ness:

Tentative Entries for Index 6.10
    🍌Design of the Book Covers(#13)
    "...making sure all of the protagonists are on the cover....make sure the covers give you an idea of what's in the book without giving away spoilers...."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    🍌On Changing Elan's and Nale's Original Appearences(#10)
    "...have you ever used an entire story arc as a vehicle for changing a costume you don't like anymore?"
    #1260 2022/06/22
    🍌On the Dwarven Textile Industry(#12)
    "Keeping in mind that I am absolutely 100% inventing this answer on the spot...."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    🍌On the Overestimated State of Goblin Civilization(#9)
    "If you wanted to hand out an award for Most Improved Civilization relative to their starting point, sure, maybe the goblins would rate well by that measure, but otherwise they're objectively worse off."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    🍌On the Surprise of Sangwaan's (Re)death Scene(#6)
    "...I had absolutely no plans to ever address the character or her demise again....But...I surprised myself by finding more depth there."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    🍌Serini was Always Going to Return(#1)
    "...it was planned from the first introduction of the Scribblers...."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    🍌The Giant Lucked into Doing the Comic Professionally(#3)
    "...I soon realized that if I accepted the position, there was no way I would be able to continue producing the comic on the side.....I decided to take the risk of turning down the new job...."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    🍌The Giant's Favorite Self-Comedic Drawing(#5)
    Spoiler: Good Deeds Gone Unpunished
    Show
    "The banana tree scene in [/i]Good Deeds Gone Unpunished[/i]"
    #1260 2022/06/22
    🍍🍌Repeated Strip Titles are Accidental
    See also here[sup](#4) ("...reusing titles...is not symbolic of any deep connection between the strips...").
    #1088 2017/08/04
    🍍🍌Religions and Deities in OOTS World
    Background details on who worships whom, and on Thor, Hel, and the Twelve Gods. See also here(#4) ("...the vast majority of citizens of Azure City, Miko included, worship all twelve gods as a single pantheon") and here#11 ("Functionally speaking, the Twelve Gods are all True Neutral....their alignment is pulled in all directions at once by different believers projecting their own morals onto them, and they end up in the middle somewhere.")
    #848 2012/04/11
    🍍🍌Redcloak is Evil
    More here(#5) ("If you're reading Redcloak's dialogue and uncritically accepting every word of it, you're overlooking one of his defining character traits: that he cloaks his vile actions in lofty rhetoric to convince himself that he is morally and ethically superior to the likes of Xykon.") and here(#9) ("...furious about getting less even if one slice was technically enough to survive on....")
    #830 2012/01/23
    🍍🍌Parental Problems
    Parents are in the story only to introduce conflict. That fathers are included and mothers are absent for the human characters is simply a coincidence. See also here(#7) on the latter point ("...there's just not much more to it than poor planning and unexamined influences.")
    #815 2011/11/18

Anyone have any suggestions/alternate proposals?

And bonus points to the Giant for not going for the low-hanging Deep jokes.
    I believe pig tails are traditional, anyway.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2022-07-01 at 08:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll say include all of them except 8, and exclude 8.

6. - Top - End - #486

Actually, I'll tell you what: Unless/Until someone can make a reasonably convincing case that this is actually relevant to Order of the Stick, instead of a comment about what it would be if it absolutely wasn't Order of the Stick, I'm not going to make an entry for it on account of violating Rule B.
    Sarcastic as it is, I think it encodes the information:
    1) You should not assume good looks are in any way correlated with how major a character is here.
    2) Mr. Scruffy is a very attractive cat.

Neither of which anyone is too likely to build a massive theory over not having pointed out to them, but, as always, I think the default position should be inclusion, not exclusion, and I see no reason not to include it.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Halfling in the Playground

include all except 3 and 8.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

On recent Patreon answers.
    Include 1 (Serini rogue) because it helps us understand a specific decision that the Giant made. Include 11 (Twelve Gods alignment) because how that pantheon works is still confusing and comes up often and we will be looking for all the pieces that the Giant tells about them. Include 13 (design book cover art) because it's very informative and specific example about the Giant's artistic decisions.
    Exclude 2 (the Giant's education) because it's not very new. Exclude 4 (dupe titles) because it doesn't tell anything that we didn't know already. Exclude 5, 8, 12 because they're irrelevant trivia, not something useful to understand the comic that we need in our ever-growing database.
    Abstain on 3, 6, 7, 9, 10.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so a couple things have been re-dispositioned in the last few days....
    Spoiler: Summary
    Show

14 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish, 137beth, Satohika, b_jonas

Against:
    (Not a whole lot.)
    5 8 Vote-able In Favor: mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Kish, 137beth, Satohika

Against: Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, b_jonas
    5 8 Vote-able In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Gwynfrid, Kish, 137beth

Against: Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Jaxzan Proditor, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Satohika
    (Sort of.)
    11 2 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish, 137beth, Satohika

Against: Precure, b_jonas
    10 3 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish, 137beth, Satohika

Against: Schroeswald, Precure, b_jonas
    (Sangwaan's.)
    12 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish, 137beth, Satohika

(Nothing specific.)
    11 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish, 137beth, Satohika

5 12 Exclude In Favor: Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, dancrilis, Personification, Kish

Against: mjp1050, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, super dark33, hroþila, 137beth, Satohika, b_jonas
    13 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish, 137beth, Satohika

Against:
    11 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish, 137beth, Satohika

14 0 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, Precure, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish, 137beth, Satohika, b_jonas

Against:
    10 4 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Schroeswald, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Peelee, Kish, 137beth, Satohika

Against: Doug Lampert, Precure, littlebum2002, b_jonas
    13 1 Include In Favor: mjp1050, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Schroeswald, Sir_Norbert, littlebum2002, Fyraltari, Gwynfrid, Personification, Kish, 137beth, Satohika, b_jonas

Most notable is that the question about the Giant's background training has entered the vote-able range, so I've created an entry for it. (There has to be some sort of cross-class skill joke in there somewhere....)

Tentative Entries for Index 6.10
    "...making sure all of the protagonists are on the cover....make sure the covers give you an idea of what's in the book without giving away spoilers...."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    "...have you ever used an entire story arc as a vehicle for changing a costume you don't like anymore?"
    #1260 2022/06/22
    "Keeping in mind that I am absolutely 100% inventing this answer on the spot...."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    "If you wanted to hand out an award for Most Improved Civilization relative to their starting point, sure, maybe the goblins would rate well by that measure, but otherwise they're objectively worse off."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    "...I had absolutely no plans to ever address the character or her demise again....But...I surprised myself by finding more depth there."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    #1260 2022/06/22
    "...I soon realized that if I accepted the position, there was no way I would be able to continue producing the comic on the side.....I decided to take the risk of turning down the new job...."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    🍌The Giant's Art Background(#2)
    "...I mostly taught myself how to draw in Illustrator....For writing, I am entirely self-taught."
    #1260 2022/06/22
    Show
    "The banana tree scene in [/i]Good Deeds Gone Unpunished[/i]"
    #1260 2022/06/22
    See also here(#4) ("...reusing titles...is not symbolic of any deep connection between the strips...").
    #1088 2017/08/04
    Background details on who worships whom, and on Thor, Hel, and the Twelve Gods. See also here(#4) ("...the vast majority of citizens of Azure City, Miko included, worship all twelve gods as a single pantheon") and here(#11) ("Functionally speaking, the Twelve Gods are all True Neutral....their alignment is pulled in all directions at once by different believers projecting their own morals onto them, and they end up in the middle somewhere.")
    #848 2012/04/11
    🍍🍌Redcloak is Evil
    More here(#5) ("If you're reading Redcloak's dialogue and uncritically accepting every word of it, you're overlooking one of his defining character traits: that he cloaks his vile actions in lofty rhetoric to convince himself that he is morally and ethically superior to the likes of Xykon.") and here(#9) ("...furious about getting less even if one slice was technically enough to survive on....")
    #830 2012/01/23
    🍍🍌Parental Problems
    Parents are in the story only to introduce conflict. That fathers are included and mothers are absent for the human characters is simply a coincidence. See also here(#7) on the latter point ("...there's just not much more to it than poor planning and unexamined influences.")
    #815 2011/11/18

Also fixed some formatting errors I missed the last time....Any suggestions/proposals?

And, because this distinction seems to keep coming up when I'm categorizing entries; I intend to have the top-level "Art" category labelled "Visual Art" going forward. Anyone have objections?

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Sarcastic as it is, I think it encodes the information:
    1) You should not assume good looks are in any way correlated with how major a character is here.
    2) Mr. Scruffy is a very attractive cat.

Neither of which anyone is too likely to build a massive theory over not having pointed out to them, but, as always, I think the default position should be inclusion, not exclusion, and I see no reason not to include it.
    Hrmm....Since this is still in easy reach of coming up, how would you suggest categorizing an entry to that effect? It doesn't really work for Visual Art (since it's like the opposite of that), or Reflections from the Author (as sarcastic as we note it is, it'd be more like putting words in the Giant's mouth keyboard there), or Reading Too Much Into It (because that would be meta-referential for my own amusement and I try to keep stuff like that out of the Index).

(It also occurs to me that the panel the Giant indicates in #423 has two Azurite archers, one of which the Giant describes as "drop dead gorgeous" and the other the comic portrays as dropping and presumably soon-to-be dead.)
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2022-07-07 at 10:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Well then.

UPDATE COMING, CALLING FOR PMs TO REQUIRE VOTES

Anyone thinking entries marked "Accepting PMs to require vote" should not be included in the Index should send me a private message, saying the entries should require a vote. (The default is to include, an item not voted on will be included in the Index.) If I get PMs from two or more people about a particular entry, it will be voted on to decide inclusion; the vote will be the next stage, and I'll announce it when the vote is ready.

The other entries below reached strong consensus already. A vote is considered unnecessary in that case; they will be included.

Proposed Items for Index 6.10
    #1260 2022/06/22 No vote required, will be included.
    #1260 2022/06/22 Accepting PMs to require vote. PM threshold met; voted required.
    "...I mostly taught myself how to draw in Illustrator....For writing, I am entirely self-taught."
    #1260 2022/06/22 Accepting PMs to require vote. PM threshold met; voted required.
    Show
    "The banana tree scene in Good Deeds Gone Unpunished"
    See also here(#4) ("...reusing titles...is not symbolic of any deep connection between the strips...").
    #1088 2017/08/04 No vote required, will be included.
    Background details on who worships whom, and on Thor, Hel, and the Twelve Gods. See also here(#4) ("...the vast majority of citizens of Azure City, Miko included, worship all twelve gods as a single pantheon") and here(#11) ("Functionally speaking, the Twelve Gods are all True Neutral....their alignment is pulled in all directions at once by different believers projecting their own morals onto them, and they end up in the middle somewhere.")
    #848 2012/04/11 No vote required, will be included.
    🍍🍌Redcloak is Evil
    #830 2012/01/23 No vote required, will be included.
    🍍🍌Parental Problems
    #815 2011/11/18 No vote required, will be included.

PMs will be accepted until July 10th, 9PM EDT already. I'll try to update the table if/when entries get sufficient PMs.

To send me a PM, click my username (The vaguely-pronounceable(?)-looking word above the spellcasting-and-invocation-using banana with purple hair) and select "Private Message". Or I guess you could click here. Anyway, include the title of the entries you're nominating in the message. Mentioning something about "Index Nomination" in the subject line would be helpful.

A few final reminders:

• Don't post suggestions to require votes. They're sent by PM to avoid filling up the thread with them, posts will not be counted.
    • Only PM for entries you think should be excluded. They'll be included if they don't receive sufficient nominations.
    • We're not voting on the entries yet. The voting will be the next stage; I'll call for the vote at an appropriate time.
    • We still have a banana in charge. Hi. (I neither confirm nor deny a zapped status.)

Further discussion of entries is encouraged at this point. In particular, recommendations for different titles and descriptions for the quote entries are things I'd be happy to consider.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2022-07-09 at 09:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

That certainly didn't take long....

Items up for voting:
    The Giant Lucked into Doing the Comic Professionally(#3)
    #1260 2022/06/22
    The Giant's Art Background(#2)
    #1260 2022/06/22

• Please bold your yes/no votes, it'll make it easier for me to notice when I go through and count everything.
    • Votes must be posted (as in, not PM-ed to me) to be counted.
    • Please avoid discussing the quote itself, outside of giving an explanation for your vote in the same post as your vote. This'll make it easier to catch up after the vote, if a new quote comes along while we're still voting.
    • Per Rule F4, inclusion by vote requires a quote to have two more votes in favor than votes against.

Voting will be open until July 12th, 9PM EDT.

The other eleven entries will go into the Index after the vote is concluded.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

No to both of them.

13. - Top - End - #493

Yes to both.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

The Giant Lucked into Doing the Comic Professionally(#3)
    #1260 2022/06/22
    I vote exclude on the entry about how the Giant draws comics as his job, because it doesn't tell us much that we didn't know and it's not really about the comic.

And I still don't like how you call for yes/no votes but don't tell whether it's yes to exclude or yes to include the entries.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2022-07-09 at 12:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes is to include and No is to exclude.

Yes, to both.

16. - Top - End - #496

Yes to both. I see them as relevant to the writing process. They also are questions that will occur naturally to readers interested in the comic’s origins. In that sense, they’re about the comic.

17. - Top - End - #497

NO, EXCLUDE on 2, for the same reason that I gave earlier. The Giant's Wikipedia page knew all this and more years before this Q&A. Let's be serious.

I still don't care enough about 3 to put in a definitive vote.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Okay; while there's still thirty hours to go it's looking like...I shouldn't be surprised if the two-vote margin becomes a point of (expressed) contention.

Entry Yes Votes No Votes Voters
    The Giant's Art Background(#2) 3 2 Yes Votes: Kish, pearl jam, Gwynfrid

No Votes: Precure, Metastachydium
    The Giant Lucked into Doing the Comic Professionally(#3) 3 2 Yes Votes: Kish, pearl jam, Gwynfrid

No Votes: Precure, b_jonas

19. - Top - End - #499

Yes to both.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

No to both.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Halfling in the Playground

No to both.

22. - Top - End - #502

Yes to both.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #503
    Bugbear in the Playground

No to both.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

24. - Top - End - #504

SolithKnightGuy

Your interpretation of the Redcloak hobgoblin City answer is a bit off - Rich points out it’s pretty primitive and requires complete militarism to survive. He also uses the analogy that should someone be happy with one slice when the next person has a full loaf. So it’s not as clear cut as saying Redcloak underplays a good hand.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Your interpretation of the Redcloak hobgoblin City answer is a bit off - Rich points out it’s pretty primitive and requires complete militarism to survive. He also uses the analogy that should someone be happy with one slice when the next person has a full loaf. So it’s not as clear cut as saying Redcloak underplays a good hand.
    He never says it requires complete militarism to survive. He says that complete militarism is why it is able to conquer a much larger human city, that and two high level casters in support.

26. - Top - End - #506

Include for both.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Alrighty then.

• The Giant's Art Background failed to pass; 6 for, 5 against (thread rules require two more in favor to pass)
    • The Giant Lucked into Doing the Comic Professionally failed to pass; 6 for, 5 against (thread rules require two more in favor to pass)

Spoiler: Voting Results
    Show
    Entry Yes Votes No Votes Voters
    6 5 Yes Votes: Kish, pearl jam, Gwynfrid, mjp1050, hamishspence, 137beth

No Votes: Precure, Metastachydium, Doug Lampert, Satohika, theangelJean
    6 5 Yes Votes: Kish, pearl jam, Gwynfrid, mjp1050, hamishspence, 137beth

No Votes: Precure, b_jonas, Doug Lampert, Satohika, theangelJean

The Index has been updated with the remaining entries.

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    And I still don't like how you call for yes/no votes but don't tell whether it's yes to exclude or yes to include the entries.
    With as many posts as there are that independently(?) use "yes" for include and "no" for exclude, and since only simple additions were up for voting this time, it doesn't seem particularly ambiguous; and given the former I have doubts I'd be able to dissuade "yes/no" votes.

Keeping that in mind...since I'm considering more standardization with regard to votes anyway; what specifically are you proposing?

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    It seems to me that your interpretation is focused on a fragment each of two sentences, without considering the context of each paragraph they're part of...that my summary says that Redcloak is the type to overplay a hand that isn't that good, doesn't inspire much confidence in it either.

In any case, the answer summaries are ephemeral; made for the express purpose of referencing multiple paragraphs of answer in a table-friendlytolerable form. Since they don't influence the entries themselves, I'm not worried about it now that the entry procedure has concluded.

28. - Top - End - #508

It never even occurred to me until I read this that it was even possible to construe "yes" as "exclude".

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

It never even occurred to me until I read this that it was even possible to construe "yes" as "exclude".
    There's a stage where some snippets are included by default and Jasdoif asks messages from users who want it to get excluded so that we vote on them.

30. - Top - End - #510

There's a stage where some snippets are included by default and Jasdoif asks messages from users who want it to get excluded so that we vote on them.
    To the best of my understanding, at every stage of new quotes, the question is, "should this be included?"