New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

I'm against including #6 since it seems like a case of selection bias. Everyone in this strip can break the 4th wall, and if it seems like the main characters break the 4th wall the most often, that's only because they have the most lines.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Looks like #6 is the only one dealing with contention, sitting right at the lower edge of automatic inclusion....

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    # Question In Favor Against Disposition Posters
    1 "I've noticed that when someone asks you about your favorite thing you tend to pick something from Good Deeds Gone Unpunished. Is that your favorite story you've written overall?"
    (Yes.)
    8 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Precure, Satohika, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor

Against:
    2 "You said that the Twelve Gods are functionally all true neutral, as their worshippers' alignments average out to true neutral. Does this mean that alignment is roughly evenly distributed in OotS-verse? Are most people true neutral and the other alignments are comparatively uncommon? Or (for example) are most people good and there's a few Xykon-sized outliers bringing down the average?"
    (Mostly True Neutral.)
    10 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, b_jonas, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, Satohika, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor

Against:
    3 "What was the purpose of including Tinkertown? Nothing that happened there had anything to do with the gnomes and could have been in Cliffport instead."
    (Sidestepping Cliffport plot threads. With gnomes.)
    8 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor

Against: Satohika
    4 "Did Thor basically confirm that the movie theater intermission strip is canon?"
    (Yes!)
    8 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor

5 "Was the purpose of the scene with Xykon not being able to taste coffee [that occurs in Start of Darkness] to show that as the moment he became truly irredeemable?"
    (Not what I meant.)
    9 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, Satohika, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor

Against:
    6 "Who can break the Fourth Wall? I thought it was only the main heroes but then I realized that the demon roaches do it alot and so does Thor."
    (Anyone.)
    6 3 Include In Favor: Kish, Sir_Norbert, Precure, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ruck

Against: Fyraltari, Satohika, mjp1050
    7 "You have talked in the past about how Teleport and Resurrection make writing stories in a D&D setting difficult. Are there any other spells or character abilities that you find are constantly getting in your way?"
    (Yes.)

8 "Do you like Denouements? I know that's an abrupt question and obvious lead in to something else, but some people I'm arguing with are saying one of your longest running subplots isn't having its ending foreshadowed and isn't going to have a denouement after the climax."
    (Yes.)
    8 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Fve_Abeoreg, Metastachydium, Precure, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor

10 "All six members of the order have evolved over time. Have any of them become easier or harder to write because of the ways they changed?"
    (Harder more often than easier.)

Spoiler: Breakdown by Poster
    Show

Okay, first shot at entries....

Tentative Entries
    🍌On Breaking the Fourth Wall(#6)
    "Anyone in the comic could theoretically do it...."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    🍌On Denouements(#8)
    "So I guess the real question here is, is the subplot you're concerned about necessarily one that I think is important enough to deserve a denouement?"
    #1277 2023/03/10
    🍌On Xykon Losing His Ability to Taste Coffee(#5)
    "...the purpose of that scene was more to show Xykon losing touch with his humanity, specifically the way that his biological body may have actually been preventing him from becoming a true monster."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    🍍🍌The Giant's Favorite Book(#1)
    Good Deeds Gone Unpunished, for "the freedom to create all-new characters and write plots that only tangentially affected the main storyline of the comic". (Of main storyline books, Blood Runs in the Family, "the most recent one" at the time.)
    #1277 2023/03/10
    🍌The Movie Theater World Is Canon(#4)
    #301 and the panel in #1140 are "...something that happened on one of the other worlds before the current one."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    🍌The Purpose of Using Tinkertown(#3)
    "It was better to have a fresh location..." instead of reusing Cliffport and having to revisit plot threads.
    #1277 2023/03/10
    🍌Writing Characters As They Have Evolved(#10)
    "Everyone except Durkon is harder, because....I often will write a punchline then stare at it and realize that the character can't say that anymore because they grew out of that mindset a while back." "With Durkon....Even just having Minrah there to serve as his cohort sort of automatically gives him something to do."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    🍍🍌D&D Rules that Harm the Story
    True Resurrection, and also Teleport. See also here(#7) ("At the power level that the heroes are at right now, there are a lot of 'invisible' spells that would often affect the outcome of a fight. Especially things like fire immunity or mind blank, where having it means being able to completely no-sell an enemy attack. It's become a bit awkward to constantly need to either show those spells being cast or have someone discuss how they have such-and-such a spell running....")
    #980 2015/04/25
    🍍🍌Who Else is Neutral
    A long list of Neutral characters in the comic. See also here and here(#2) ("...most normal mortal people are True Neutral...").
    #903 2013/07/22
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Meh. Let me add an additional vote in favour of #6.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satohika View Post
    Anyone who actually read this story would know that the fourth wall breaking jokes are pretty normal and regularly used by all sorts of characters.
    We’ve historically erred, when unsure, on the side of including quotes. If you look at the existing compendium of quotes, you will find a number that may seem trivial, unimportant, or unserious to many eyes. We’ve added them anyway. The fact that someone asked the question and got a non-joke answer indicates it most likely fits the Index’s purpose.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Include them all, except the baseball one.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

6. - Top - End - #546
    Barbarian in the Playground

the baseball one is not up for inclusion anyway due to the thread rules

7. - Top - End - #547
    Colossus in the Playground

The summary of #3 is once again lacking gnomes.

(Which, in all seriousness, makes me think I'm reading that answer fundamentally differently from Jasdoif.)

8. - Top - End - #548
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    So? Last I checked, there's no thread rule that goes, "Only include questions that are [something it would actually be a forum rule violation to suggest any specific questions are not]."
    I didn't say anything about thread rules? You asked a question, I answered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    And yet, there's the question, submitted through Patreon.
    You overestimate their reading skills.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I didn't say anything about thread rules? You asked a question, I answered it.

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Let's not insult others here.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

The summary of #3 is once again lacking gnomes.

(Which, in all seriousness, makes me think I'm reading that answer fundamentally differently from Jasdoif.)
    It reads to me like the opening paragraph with the gnomes is comically exaggerated; while the second paragraph about needing a fresh location is serious and level in tone, as well as answering the question asked in a way that suggests that was the primary point...before tying back into gnomes at the end. It's an example of the Giant's exaggeration/caricature-then-serious-then-connect style.

Also it fits easily into the Writing Process section, whereas I'm not sure which category "We hold these gnomes to be self-evident" would really fit into.

11. - Top - End - #551

Yes, as I suspected, we're reading it fundamentally differently. Yes, there's some joking exaggeration in the "gnomes, look at their cute hats!" thing. Where we apparently disagree, is whether what's under that joking exaggeration is "Writing gnomes was essentially random, Gnometown's sole function was to be Not-Cliffport" or "I had a lot of fun drawing the gnome scenes and put it there because I correctly predicted I would have a lot of fun writing and drawing gnome scenes...and also, since for some reason the question asker brought up Cliffport, here are the reasons I wasn't going to put in a visit to Cliffport there."

Or to put it another way, there are essentially two questions there: "Why Tinkertown?" and "Why not Cliffport?" You're putting an answer to the one I think is secondary, and entirely dropping the one I think is primary.
    Last edited by Kish; 2023-03-15 at 11:21 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I aggree with Kish; the gnomes seem to be the most important part of the answer.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, as I suspected, we're reading it fundamentally differently. Yes, there's some joking exaggeration in the "gnomes, look at their cute hats!" thing. Where we apparently disagree, is whether what's under that joking exaggeration is "Writing gnomes was essentially random, Gnometown's sole function was to be Not-Cliffport" or "I had a lot of fun drawing the gnome scenes and put it there because I correctly predicted I would have a lot of fun writing and drawing gnome scenes...and also, since for some reason the question asker brought up Cliffport, here are the reasons I wasn't going to put in a visit to Cliffport there."

Or to put it another way, there are essentially two questions there: "Why Tinkertown?" and "Why not Cliffport?" You're putting an answer to the one I think is secondary, and entirely dropping the one I think is primary.
    I wouldn't say "essentially random", "because I wanted to draw gnomes" is an entirely valid and specific reason. But I find the "not-Cliffport" answer more significant...Partly because it's the kind of writing process stuff that isn't obvious on the surface, partly because the answer wasn't "Cliffport is on a different continent that's well out of their way" that would be obvious at the time so there's definitely some thought given to this angle.

I'm not opposed to creating two entries for the question, but again I'm not seeing a good category for "not all hats are created equal, these were endowed by their creator with certain unalienable adorableness" o_o

14. - Top - End - #554

Writing, along with every other time the answer to a question amounts to, "I wrote/drew that because it was fun for me to write/draw."

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    1 "I've noticed that when someone asks you about your favorite thing you tend to pick something from Good Deeds Gone Unpunished. Is that your favorite story you've written overall?"
    (Yes.)
    10 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Precure, Satohika, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar

Against:
    2 "You said that the Twelve Gods are functionally all true neutral, as their worshippers' alignments average out to true neutral. Does this mean that alignment is roughly evenly distributed in OotS-verse? Are most people true neutral and the other alignments are comparatively uncommon? Or (for example) are most people good and there's a few Xykon-sized outliers bringing down the average?"
    (Mostly True Neutral.)
    12 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, b_jonas, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, Satohika, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar

Against:
    3 "What was the purpose of including Tinkertown? Nothing that happened there had anything to do with the gnomes and could have been in Cliffport instead."
    10 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar

4 "Did Thor basically confirm that the movie theater intermission strip is canon?"
    (Yes!)
    10 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar

5 "Was the purpose of the scene with Xykon not being able to taste coffee [that occurs in Start of Darkness] to show that as the moment he became truly irredeemable?"
    (Not what I meant.)
    11 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, Satohika, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar

Against:
    6 "Who can break the Fourth Wall? I thought it was only the main heroes but then I realized that the demon roaches do it alot and so does Thor."
    (Anyone.)
    9 3 Include In Favor: Kish, Sir_Norbert, Precure, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ruck, Tzardok, Ron Miel, ti'esar

7 "You have talked in the past about how Teleport and Resurrection make writing stories in a D&D setting difficult. Are there any other spells or character abilities that you find are constantly getting in your way?"
    (Yes.)

8 "Do you like Denouements? I know that's an abrupt question and obvious lead in to something else, but some people I'm arguing with are saying one of your longest running subplots isn't having its ending foreshadowed and isn't going to have a denouement after the climax."
    (Yes.)
    10 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Fve_Abeoreg, Metastachydium, Precure, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar

10 "All six members of the order have evolved over time. Have any of them become easier or harder to write because of the ways they changed?"

Show

Writing, along with every other time the answer to a question amounts to, "I wrote/drew that because it was fun for me to write/draw."
    The category with more subcategories than the Patreon post has questions? That may not have been as helpful as you expected

Tentative Entries
    #1277 2023/03/10
    🍌On Denouements(#8)
    "So I guess the real question here is, is the subplot you're concerned about necessarily one that I think is important enough to deserve a denouement?"
    #1277 2023/03/10
    🍌On Introducing Gnomish Islands(#3)
    "...I saw an opening to draw an adorable town of steampunk gnomes and I took it."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    "...the purpose of that scene was more to show Xykon losing touch with his humanity, specifically the way that his biological body may have actually been preventing him from becoming a true monster."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    Good Deeds Gone Unpunished, for "the freedom to create all-new characters and write plots that only tangentially affected the main storyline of the comic". (Of main storyline books, Blood Runs in the Family, "the most recent one" at the time.)
    #1277 2023/03/10
    #301 and the panel in #1140 are "...something that happened on one of the other worlds before the current one."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    "It was better to have a fresh location..." instead of reusing Cliffport and having to revisit plot threads.
    #1277 2023/03/10
    "Everyone except Durkon is harder, because....I often will write a punchline then stare at it and realize that the character can't say that anymore because they grew out of that mindset a while back." "With Durkon....Even just having Minrah there to serve as his cohort sort of automatically gives him something to do."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    True Resurrection, and also Teleport. See also here(#7) ("At the power level that the heroes are at right now, there are a lot of 'invisible' spells that would often affect the outcome of a fight. Especially things like fire immunity or mind blank, where having it means being able to completely no-sell an enemy attack. It's become a bit awkward to constantly need to either show those spells being cast or have someone discuss how they have such-and-such a spell running....")
    #980 2015/04/25
    🍍🍌Who Else is Neutral
    A long list of Neutral characters in the comic. See also here and here(#2) ("...most normal mortal people are True Neutral...").
    #903 2013/07/22

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I think it fits reasonably well into Writing Process, Reflections from the Author or Real World Intent.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

I support the inclusion of gnomes.
    Last edited by Precure; 2023-03-15 at 01:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems your definition of "actually read" is tautological. "Anyone who actually read the strip would have concluded this; the definition of having 'actually read' the strip is that the reader concluded the same things I did."

Anyway, agreed with Kish that the info about gnomes should be in there because I think Rich was being pretty clear that he thought they were fun to write and draw. And I suppose I'll vote to include all from this round of questions as well.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think we should have two separate entries for #3. "The giant didn't want to revisit dangling Cliffport plot lines, but did want to draw cute steampunk gnomes" or something similar.

Also #4 should reflect that while snackworld is now officially part of the multiverse, he didn't think of it as such when he first made the strip.
    -.____________________

20. - Top - End - #560
    Halfling in the Playground

It seems your definition of "actually read" is tautological. "Anyone who actually read the strip would have concluded this; the definition of having 'actually read' the strip is that the reader concluded the same things I did."
    It's not a conclusion, it's a fact that 4th wall breaking jokes are made by all sorts of characters and not something exclusive to the primary characters.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    (Yes.)
    11 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Precure, Satohika, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar, Ruck

Against:
    (Mostly True Neutral.)
    13 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, b_jonas, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, Satohika, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar, Ruck

Against:
    11 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar, Ruck

(Yes!)
    11 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar, Ruck

(Not what I meant.)
    12 0 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Metastachydium, Precure, Satohika, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar, Ruck

Against:
    (Anyone.)
    9 3 Include In Favor: Kish, Sir_Norbert, Precure, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Tzardok, Ron Miel, ti'esar, Ruck

(Yes.)

(Yes.)
    11 1 Include In Favor: Fyraltari, Kish, Fve_Abeoreg, Metastachydium, Precure, mjp1050, Gwynfrid, Throknor, Ron Miel, ti'esar, Ruck

Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I don't think we should have two separate entries for #3. "The giant didn't want to revisit dangling Cliffport plot lines, but did want to draw cute steampunk gnomes" or something similar.
    I rather like the cleanliness of two "fundamentally different" answers having their own entry, myself...what's everyone else think?

Also #4 should reflect that while snackworld is now officially part of the multiverse, he didn't think of it as such when he first made the strip.
    Doesn't seem that important to note, as it looks like by the time we knew there was more than one previous world it was "always" one of them...and/or I just like how smoothly that entry currently reads...again, what's everyone else think?

In any case, seems entries are mostly ironed out, so the current state with categories and stuff is....

Spoiler: Alignment
    Show

Specific Characters
    Neutral Characters
    🍍🍌Who Else is Neutral
    #903 2013/07/22

Spoiler: Story, Plot, and Characters
    Show

Reading Too Much Into It
    #1277 2023/03/10

Spoiler: Writing
    Show

Writing Process
    🍌On Introducing Gnomish Islands(#3)
    "...I saw an opening to draw an adorable town of steampunk gnomes and I took it."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    #1277 2023/03/10
    #980 2015/04/25

Forum and Reader Reactions
    🍌On Denouements(#8)
    #1277 2023/03/10

Story Development
    #1277 2023/03/10
    #1277 2023/03/10

Reflections from the Author
    #1277 2023/03/10

Spoiler: Spoilers from Book/PDF Content
    Show

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show

Start of Darkness
    #1277 2023/03/10

22. - Top - End - #562

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I rather like the cleanliness of two "fundamentally different" answers having their own entry, myself...what's everyone else think?
    I think it's the best option in light of the disagreement over emphasis.

23. - Top - End - #563

Both views are in the same category, Writing Process. Having the quote twice side by side feels like clutter to me. Your summary with both perspectives is excellent, I would stick to it.

Doesn't seem that important to note, as it looks like by the time we knew there was more than one previous world it was "always" one of them...and/or I just like how smoothly that entry currently reads...again, what's everyone else think?
    This seems unnecessary to me.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Both views are in the same category, Writing Process. Having the quote twice side by side feels like clutter to me.
    Hmm...it did look nicer when I thought there would be other strips added into Writing Process separating the two. Okay, how about this?

🍌The Purpose of Creating Tinkertown(#3)
    Instead of having to revisit plot threads tied to e.g. Cliffport, "It was better to have a fresh location, and since it needed to be somewhere that could service the Mechane, I came up with the idea of a town of gnomes."
    #1277 2023/03/10

25. - Top - End - #565

Hmm...it did look nicer when I thought there would be other strips added into Writing Process separating the two. Okay, how about this?

Instead of having to revisit plot threads tied to e.g. Cliffport, "It was better to have a fresh location, and since it needed to be somewhere that could service the Mechane, I came up with the idea of a town of gnomes."
    #1277 2023/03/10
    It’s longer than your earlier version, but it works.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2023-03-16 at 08:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

I, also, prefer the cleanliness of two "fundamentally different" answers having their own entry.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

I think to better get to the heart of the answer "I saw an opening to draw an adorable town of steampunk gnomes and I took it" should fit in there somehow. Just in the sense that Rich makes it clear he thought that would be fun to draw and as much as anything that's why he included Tinkertown.

28. - Top - End - #568

I think to better get to the heart of the answer "I saw an opening to draw an adorable town of steampunk gnomes and I took it" should fit in there somehow. Just in the sense that Rich makes it clear he thought that would be fun to draw and as much as anything that's why he included Tinkertown.
    Seconded.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Seconded.
    Hmm....

Instead of having to revisit plot threads tied to e.g. Cliffport, it "was better to have a fresh location"; and then the Giant "saw an opening to draw an adorable town of steampunk gnomes".
    #1277 2023/03/10

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I think it's the most interesting part.

The fact that the snacks are officially one of the former worlds is clearly stated in the strip itself, and doesn't really need the Giant to confirm it. Barely worth including.

The fact that he hadn't planned it as such, but made the connection later, is much more interesting, and certainly worth including.
    -.____________________