New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Count another vote for reword.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    I'm in favor of keeping it, actually. Namely, the actual quote implies that technical feasibility wasn't the issue, the Giant just didn't want them shown in the first place. So we still don't know why he changed his mind.

I'd be in favor of an asterisk that says "Hey, the Giant changed his mind on this, but we're not sure why." Definitely don't remove it, though. Keeping track of how the Giant's views have changed over time is, in my opinion, one of the more interesting aspects of this thread.
    Yup. Hence my stance that we shouldn't be deleting old stuff just because he changes his mind or whatever.

Whatever the current thing we're voting on is, I'm in favor of keeping as much of everything as possible. So reword, but with an indication that at some point the Giant has changed his mind.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Yup. Hence my stance that we shouldn't be deleting old stuff just because he changes his mind or whatever.

Whatever the current thing we're voting on is, I'm in favor of keeping as much of everything as possible. So reword, but with an indication that at some point the Giant has changed his mind.
    This is where we see differences of opinion. Yours is pretty much the opposite of my take. I don't think the Index is meant to track the Giant's changes of mind (assuming that's what this is). So, I'm in favor of keeping only the quotes that have relevance at the present time, and removing those that become obsolete as the comic progresses.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd say I'm in favor of keeping but rewording the entry, unless we get some sort of updating quote from the Giant along the lines of "Yeah, that was my opinion but it changed". Even though the quote itself doesn't accurately describe how the titles are currently portrayed, it's still an insight as to why the titles weren't shown prior to know and generally how the Giant feels about them.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Yup. Hence my stance that we shouldn't be deleting old stuff just because he changes his mind or whatever. ... So reword, but with an indication that at some point the Giant has changed his mind.
    The rules disagree with you.

Rule D: If two quotes seem to contradict each other, only the quote that illustrates Rich's most recent and current opinion or position will be included.

In general terms, we should not keep track of the Giant changing his mind. What he used to think, and why he changed, is specifically against the rules.

In this specific instance, he has not issued an actual quote changing his mind, but has taken actions. His actions show that he has changed his mind on this point. And changing his mind is not something this thread should track.

And note that it will still be in archived versions of the thread. In the unlikely event that you need to look it up, you can still find it easily enough.

Restating my vote for deletion.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    So am I: delete the outdated entry.

And if that doesn't have the votes, at least make the disclaimer that the quote is outdated far more visible. Red, bold, both, or something else beyond a parenthetical at the end that is indistinguishable from the description.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    So am I: delete the outdated entry.

And if that doesn't have the votes, at least make the disclaimer that the quote is outdated far more visible. Red, bold, both, or something else beyond a parenthetical at the end that is indistinguishable from the description.

Grey Wolf
    I'll also vote deletion, the quote is obsolete, and there are enough quotes in the index that I've had cases of knowing the exact words I'll looking for, and having real trouble finding the quote. Keeping it down to a usable size has value of its own.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we actually formally voting? Looking back, I don't think its formal yet.
    -.____________________

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Are we actually formally voting?
    No.

But knowing in advance who is/isn't in favor of removing it will be helpful (I feel confident that I can expect at least five questions from the next Patreon Q&A to be included as entries, and that the volume may bury discussion on this quote); and if that's expressed via informal vote, that's fine with me.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Welp I'm convinced, I'm moving my position from reword to delete.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think there are still several reasons for keeping, the most compelling of which is that the quote also talks about the logic behind the titles. Plus, there technically isn't a contradictory quote, it's just that something must have changed. If the giant says that he changed his mind, then I might vote replacement, because the new quote would obsolete the old one, but that hasn't happened yet.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Okay; so a reword would be like....

Why the Strip Titles Weren't On the Strip Pages
    The titles are "bonus" jokes; The Giant prefers not to put them above the strip itself. (As of the 2020 server migration, the strip titles are visible below the strips)
    #759 2010/11/20

Am I missing anything?
    I think that this is perfectly fine and I'm happy with it remaining as it is.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

13. - Top - End - #223

I'm generally an inclusionist and looking at rule D now, I think it seems too absolutist. If the goal is supporting forum discussion, it seems quite possible that there could be cases where showing an evolution of opinion over time would be more beneficial than only showing the current position.

On the other hand, thinking about this specific quote, it doesn't really seem all that necessary to keep this one as anyone asking about thread titles would be asking why they *are* shown now, which the quote doesn't really address and could simply be answered by saying that when they revamped the forums they added the titles at the bottom as they appear in the books.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post

Why the Strip Titles Aren't Above the Strip
    The titles are "bonus" jokes; The Giant prefers not to put them above the strip itself.
    #759 2010/11/20

Who wants the entry reworded, and who wants the entry removed? The two are not exclusive, of course; I can reword it well in advance of the next update cycle, at which time we could vote on whether or not to remove it.

Bolding mine.

Please reword, and then remove.

More serious: It's obviously obsolet, so i'm in favor of removing it. But reword it first!
    The difference between Mace Windu and Miko Miyazaki:

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    It's one thing to take on a Sith Lord outside the law; bisecting an unarmed octogenarian is a little different.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Darth V View Post
    Bolding mine.

Please reword, and then remove.
    Got a good laugh out of me.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

And for Schroeswald's second annual monthly here's the Giants answers post, here's the giants latest pattern answers and what I, some dude, thinks of them:
    1. The giant shadowy sea monster from DStP's bonus strips was the ABD, I'll call that a weak yes because I didn't know what it was when I read them but I also only read them and not the rest of the story when I read them.
    2.Rich likes Sci-Fi, not a big fan of horror, interesting knowledge about him I guess but not OOTS related, No.
    3. Stuff about the Greenhilt family sword, I think its interesting but I'm not really sure about if it has a clear point, so maybe, but open to persuasion either way.
    4. What happened to Kubota's stuff, I've never really wondered about but others might have? Maybe
    5. Mrs. The Giant helps to proofread every strip and The Giant talks over plots with her (but don't blame her for the typos, Rich has so many its impossible to fix them all). I'd say this is pretty interesting, Yes.
    6. Elan's music is sort of to the tune of Row, row row your boat, while funny, not really sure
    7. Malack's snaky half wasn't a secret, kept secret mostly for trademark, I'm gonna fall on the side of no, open to being convinced.
    8. How Rich is doing under COVID, not particularly comic relevant or of long-lasting value, no.
    9. SS&DT PDF will probably be out in May, quick add until either its out or May is over.
    10. How Blacking become a major character, pretty good, yes (also important Mr. Scruffy's role was planned before Shojo died)
    11. Greyview's job is to show that MitD won't backslide into apathy and what he was before O-Chul, definitely yes, never thought of this before.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

17. - Top - End - #227

I would include them all except the two that aren't comic related (#2 and 8). Then there's #9, it will have such a short shelf life that I would skip it. But there's no harm in adding it then removing it in a few weeks.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I had thought that 1) was answered in the book commentary, but after rereading it, I guess it somewhat vague. I think overall I still lean against including that one. Other than that I agree with Gwynfrid. I suppose for #9 it depends on when exactly in May things happen and if Jasdoif feels like its worth putting in.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #229

I'm not sure about 1 and 7,would include 3 - 6, 10 and 11.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

1 - Yes
    2 - Yes
    3 - Yes
    4 - Yes
    5 - Yes
    6 - Yes
    7 - Yes
    8 - No
    9 - No
    10 - Yes
    11 - Yes
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

7 should absolutely be included, although it just makes me more confused as to what the heck Malack actually was.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    7 should absolutely be included, although it just makes me more confused as to what the heck Malack actually was.
    Snake creature, similar to a yuan-ti abomination, but not one of those.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

First, a link to the Patreon page.

Anyway, so we're at....

# Question In Favor Against Disposition Voters
    1 "What was the giant shadowy sea monster that scared off the giant crab during the underwater section in the bonus pages of dont split the party?"
    (The ancient black dragon.)
    3 1 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, Gwynfrid, Fyraltari

Against: Jaxzan Proditor
    2 "Outside of fantasy, which is clearly a genre you have a lot of experience and input on, are there other genres of fiction you have considered exploring? Have you ever considered writing something in the realm of sci-fi or horror?"
    (Sci-fi. Not horror.)
    1 4 Exclude In Favor: Fyraltari

Against: Schroeswald, Gwynfrid, Jaxzan Proditor, Joerg
    3 "What's the deal with the Greenhilt sword? I mean, was it magic when the adventure starts? I'd venture that yes, since Roy's grandpa, being a high level warrior, probably wouldn't have gone so far with a normal sword. But then, it was broken by the spell Shatter, which can't break magic objects. But, then again, it is possible you brewed a houserule, so I don't know. Then it got improved by the starmetal sidequest, ok, but this legacy stuff: since when is that a thing? Was it within the whole time or was it something (or even the colective of things) Roy did?"
    (Magical earlier, legacy now.)
    4 0 Include In Favor: Gwynfrid, Jaxzan Proditor, Joerg, Fyraltari

Against:
    4 "After Daiymo Kubota met his elfen end, was his House absorbed by the rest of the Azurite nobles, or did they find an heir that was more loyal to Lord Hinjo?"
    (Nationalized.)

Against:
    5 "Do you have anyone who you go over the story with, or show your comic to before posting to get feedback on plot development, characters staying in character, or even basic proofreading?"
    (Married to her.)
    5 0 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, Gwynfrid, Jaxzan Proditor, Joerg, Fyraltari

Against:
    6 "Is there an official tune I can sing, sing, sing, Elan's songs too?"
    (Sort of a mutant row row row your boat.)

Against:
    7 "I assume the reason Malack's "snakey" lower half was kept a secret to the reader was for the sake of the battle with Durkon, but is there an in-universe reason why he would hide it? Or was it not even meant to be a secret?"
    (Sidestepping yuan-ti.)
    4 1 Include In Favor: Gwynfrid, Jaxzan Proditor, Fyraltari, ti'esar

Against: Schroeswald
    8 "How are you doing with the whole COVID thing? I hope you're well and keeping safe and healthy. The same goes for all the other OOTS fans too."
    (Quite well for now.)
    0 5 Exclude In Favor:

Against: Schroeswald, Gwynfrid, Jaxzan Proditor, Joerg, Fyraltari
    9 "Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales has been out of stock at Ookoodook for a while now, any ETA on the pdf version?"
    (Probably May.)
    1 2 Vote-able In Favor: Schroeswald

Against: Joerg, Fyraltari
    10 "What drove you to make Blackwing a deeper and more relevant character as the comic went on? Was that growth planned ahead of time? If not, did that change lead to a different philosophy or larger role for other animals (ie Mr. Scruffy, Bloodfeast) in the Order?"
    (Dialog sounding board for Vaarsuvius, after hitting peak comedy on the forgotten familiar shtick.)

Against:
    11 "How did you get the idea to have Greyview be the way he is? The grimdark outlook Russian accent just slays me and he's endlessly quotable."
    (To serve as a foil for MitD by being the opposite of O-Chul.)

Against:

Spoiler: By Individual
    Show
    Voter 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11
    Schroeswald
    Gwynfrid
    Jaxzan Proditor
    Joerg
    Fyraltari
    ti'esar

And...looks like a slight edge on having a vote to remove the comic title entry.

Question Keep Its Remove Its Posters
    Should we keep the entry about comic titles? 6 8 Keepers: mjp1050, Joerg, 137ben, SaintRidley, Jaxzan Proditor, Personification

(Some Sort of Quidditch Reference in Opposition to Keepers?): Grey_Wolf_c, littlebum2002, Gwynfrid, Ron Miel, Doug Lampert, Fyraltari, pearl jam, Darth V

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

No 2 - include this as a 'see also' with his previous comments about plans for projects post OOTS.

No 9 - exclude. It will be published soon. No point including the quote only to have to vote on deleting it in a few weeks.
    -.____________________

25. - Top - End - #235

No 2 - include this as a 'see also' with his previous comments about plans for projects post OOTS.
    That’s a good solution.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

The rules disagree with you.

Rule D: If two quotes seem to contradict each other, only the quote that illustrates Rich's most recent and current opinion or position will be included.

In general terms, we should not keep track of the Giant changing his mind. What he used to think, and why he changed, is specifically against the rules.

In this specific instance, he has not issued an actual quote changing his mind, but has taken actions. His actions show that he has changed his mind on this point. And changing his mind is not something this thread should track.

And note that it will still be in archived versions of the thread. In the unlikely event that you need to look it up, you can still find it easily enough.

I'm aware the rules disagree with me. Or rather, I disagree with the rules and would remove that rule in a heartbeat if I could have it my way.

Anyway, put 2 as a cf. on the future projects one and no need for 8 at all, I agree with the broad consensus there.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2020-05-03 at 12:17 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, that brings us to....

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    # Question In Favor Against Disposition Voters
    1 "What was the giant shadowy sea monster that scared off the giant crab during the underwater section in the bonus pages of dont split the party?"
    (The ancient black dragon.)
    3 1 Include In Favor: Schroeswald, Gwynfrid, Fyraltari

Against: Jaxzan Proditor
    2 "Outside of fantasy, which is clearly a genre you have a lot of experience and input on, are there other genres of fiction you have considered exploring? Have you ever considered writing something in the realm of sci-fi or horror?"
    (Sci-fi. Not horror.)
    3 4 Vote-able In Favor: Fyraltari, Ron Miel, SaintRidley

Against: Schroeswald, Gwynfrid, Jaxzan Proditor, Joerg
    3 "What's the deal with the Greenhilt sword? I mean, was it magic when the adventure starts? I'd venture that yes, since Roy's grandpa, being a high level warrior, probably wouldn't have gone so far with a normal sword. But then, it was broken by the spell Shatter, which can't break magic objects. But, then again, it is possible you brewed a houserule, so I don't know. Then it got improved by the starmetal sidequest, ok, but this legacy stuff: since when is that a thing? Was it within the whole time or was it something (or even the colective of things) Roy did?"
    (Magical earlier, legacy now.)

Against:
    4 "After Daiymo Kubota met his elfen end, was his House absorbed by the rest of the Azurite nobles, or did they find an heir that was more loyal to Lord Hinjo?"
    (Nationalized.)

Against:
    5 "Do you have anyone who you go over the story with, or show your comic to before posting to get feedback on plot development, characters staying in character, or even basic proofreading?"
    (Married to her.)

Against:
    6 "Is there an official tune I can sing, sing, sing, Elan's songs too?"
    (Sort of a mutant row row row your boat.)

Against:
    7 "I assume the reason Malack's "snakey" lower half was kept a secret to the reader was for the sake of the battle with Durkon, but is there an in-universe reason why he would hide it? Or was it not even meant to be a secret?"
    (Sidestepping yuan-ti.)
    4 1 Include In Favor: Gwynfrid, Jaxzan Proditor, Fyraltari, ti'esar

Against: Schroeswald
    8 "How are you doing with the whole COVID thing? I hope you're well and keeping safe and healthy. The same goes for all the other OOTS fans too."
    (Quite well for now.)
    0 6 Exclude In Favor:

Against: Schroeswald, Gwynfrid, Jaxzan Proditor, Joerg, Fyraltari, SaintRidley
    9 "Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales has been out of stock at Ookoodook for a while now, any ETA on the pdf version?"
    (Probably May.)
    1 3 Exclude In Favor: Schroeswald

Against: Joerg, Fyraltari, Ron Miel
    10 "What drove you to make Blackwing a deeper and more relevant character as the comic went on? Was that growth planned ahead of time? If not, did that change lead to a different philosophy or larger role for other animals (ie Mr. Scruffy, Bloodfeast) in the Order?"
    (Dialog sounding board for Vaarsuvius, after hitting peak comedy on the forgotten familiar shtick.)

Against:
    11 "How did you get the idea to have Greyview be the way he is? The grimdark outlook Russian accent just slays me and he's endlessly quotable."
    (To serve as a foil for MitD by being the opposite of O-Chul.)

Against:

Spoiler: By Individual
    Show

Bit of movement in there, "What other genres have you considered exploring?" being in the vote-able range and "When can we get SS&DT again?" being excluded....Anyway, the new/updated entries for the next update cycle are currently looking like:

Tentative Updates for Index 6.4
    🍌Malack's "'Snakey' Lower Half" Was Not Intentionally a Secret(#7)
    "The thing is, there is a slightly different type of 'snake person' in D&D that's one of those monsters that has been trademarked, so it was better to gloss over that detail in dialogue."
    #1201 2020/04/30 Tenative, appears will be included without vote.
    🍌On Greyview's Personality(#11)
    The main idea was to give the Monster in the Darkness a counterpoint to everything O-Chul told him, to show that he had internalized the lessons and wasn't going to backslide.
    🍌On the Expansion of Blackwing's Role(#10)
    "Blackwing provided someone who would already know everything that had happened and could serve as V's confidant...And second, I felt like the moment when Blackwing popped into existence to carry Xykon's phylactery was the pinnacle of that particular running joke."
    🍌On the Greenhilt Sword(#3)
    It was magical in the beginning, despite the Shatter. The legacy powers "did not exist until recently".
    🍌The "Official" Elan Song Tune(#4)
    "I think of it as being similar to Row, Row, Row Your Boat, except with four rows and an extra repeat at the end, like: Row, row, row, row your boat, your boat-boat."
    🍌The "Shadowy Sea Monster" in the Don't Split the Party Bonus Strips was the Ancient Black Dragon(#1)
    "...I wrote that sequence while the story was in progress and then cut it. So it was intended as foreshadowing for events that hadn't happened yet at that time."
    🍌The End of House Kubota(#4)
    "...the house was probably disbanded and his remaining assets seized by Hinjo to be used setting up the town seen in the first story of Good Deeds Gone Unpunished."
    🍌The Giant Has a Sounding Board(#5) #1201 2020/04/30 Tenative, appears will be included without vote.
    🍍🍌The Giant on Future Projects(#10)
    "I 100% fully expect to continue writing after OOTS is finished....What form that writing takes is still uncertain." See also here(#2): "I have definitely considered science fiction, yes....I have zero interest in horror, however."
    #1193 2020/03/01 Tenative, appears will be eligible for vote.

Any comments on titles/descriptions/etc.? And I'm still accepting input on any of those questions from the Patreon post, as well as whether or not the entry about the comic titles should be (voted on to be) removed....

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with the group: I vote to include all the green ones and exclude the red and yellow ones.

29. - Top - End - #239

No 9 - exclude. It will be published soon. No point including the quote only to have to vote on deleting it in a few weeks.
    I agree with both of these. I'd also support including all of them as their own entries except 2, 8, and 9.

30. - Top - End - #240

On Q11... isn't "As far as influencing the other animals, you have it backwards: Mr. Scruffy came first. I had his role planned out before Shojo was even killed." worthy of note?