Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Return of the MTG: Vanishing Three Card Blind - Once upon a time there was a 3CB

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    @b_jonas any last minute breakdowns before I call it?
    I'm fine. I'm tired and busy and lazy to evaluate the question marked matches now, so I'll just trust you again.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Return of the MTG: Vanishing Three Card Blind - Once upon a time there was a 3CB

Final Results for Return Round 23
    Gold: Tom the Mime
    Silver : b_jonas, Ninjaman
    Rough Ride: Laughing Dog
    Disrupted: Fable Wright, plopfill

Spoiler: Return Round 23 Table
    Show
    FW LD pf N bj TM
    Fable Wright -- LL WD? LL LL DL 5 Inquisition
    Laughing Dog WW -- DL LL LL LL 7 HexProtect
    plopfill LD? WD -- LL? LL LL? 5 ThornWalker
    Ninjaman WW WW WW? -- WL LL? 21 SSSSideboard
    b_jonas WW WW WW WL -- LL 21 GodBlight
    Tom the Mime DW WW WW? WW? WW -- 28 HexClaim

Everyone, please send in your decks for Round 24. Click. I will accept decks until the end of Monday, the 3rd.

Ban list for Round 24.
    Spoiler: Ban list for Round 24
    Show
    Land: Bayou; Blackcleave Cliffs; Blooming Marsh; Botanical Sanctum; Celestial Colonnade; City of Traitors; Dryad Arbor; Geier Reach Sanitarium; Ghost Quarter; Hall of Heliod's Generosity; Hickory Woodlot; Inkmoth Nexus; Irrigation Ditch; Karakas; Maze of Ith; Mishra's Factory; Mishra's Workshop; Shelldock Isle; Strip Mine; Taiga; Tropical Island; Waste Land (Mystery Booster playtest); Wasteland.

Artifact/Colourless: Black Lotus; Blacker Lotus; Chronomaton; Dispatch Dispensary; Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; Karn, the Great Creator; Lion's Eye Diamond; Liquimetal Coating; Lodestone Golem; Lotus Petal; Lupine Prototype; Mana Crypt; Mirrored Lotus; Mox Emerald; Mox Pearl; Mox Sapphire; Natural Unity; Ornithopter; Sol Ring; The Rack; Time Vault; Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre; Voltaic Key; Weight Advantage.

White: Cenn's Tactician; Chancellor of the Annex; History of Benalia; Serra Ascendant; Thalia, Guardian of Thraben; The Cheese Stands Alone.

Blue: Errant Ephemeron; Force of Negation; Force of Will; Gilded Drake; Jace, Wielder of Mysteries; Laboratory Maniac; Leyline of Anticipation; Mental Misstep; Misthollow Griffin; Piracy Charm; Sea's Claim; Thassa's Oracle.

Black: Blackmail; Cabal Therapy; Cruel Sadist; Mind Swords; Nether Spirit; Spike, Tournament Grinder; Street Wraith; Thoughtseize.

Red: Alpine Moon; Burning Inquiry; Raze; Wrench-Rigger.

Green: Channel; Collector Ouphe; Crashing Footfalls; Durkwood Baloth; Hexdrinker; Living Wish; Llanowar Mentor; Mayor of Avabruck; Skyshroud Cutter; Thallid; Young Wolf.

Gold: Gyruda, Doom of Depths; Lurrus of the Dream-Den; Lutri, the Spellchaser; Meddling Mage; Research // Development; Umori, the Collector.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Revealing the decks for Return Round 24

BasketOfPuppies: Concealed Courtyard, Evil Presence, Knight of Sursi

b_jonas: Mercadian Bazaar, Crystal Vein, Stonecoil Serpent

Bucky: Peat Bog, Vampire Hexmage, Dark Depths

Laughing Dog: Fountain of Cho, Riders of Gavony, Basri's Lieutenant

Ninjaman: Stirring Wildwood, Selesnya Sanctuary, Saltcrusted Steppe; Sideboard: Kaheera, the Orphanguard, Zirda, the Dawnwaker, Jegantha, the Wellspring

plopfill: Ancient Tomb, Hangarback Walker, Ratchet Bomb

Tom the Mime: Leyline of the Meek, Mox Ruby, Kuldotha Rebirth

Welcome to BasketOfPuppies!

It looks like the entries this round worked around the land disruption from last time. It seems like Bucky's taking the round with the T2 Marit Lage, with WW against everyone except LL against BasketOfPuppies, but let me know if there are contenders.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2020-08-04 at 01:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm not sure about the ninjaman matchup in particular, but I think plopfill beats everyone other than Bucky with the versatilty of ratchet bomb, in popping either threats or the walker to get flyers to bypass evasion or give chump blockers while the rest go through.

Pretty sure no one else is in contention though.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-08-04 at 02:43 AM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Welcome BasketOfPuppies.

ben-zayb: have you decided on what special rule Return round 25 will use? I'm having second thoughts on the "put a counter once per game" rule now. We already have some difficulties evaluating combat-based matchups in normal rounds, especially versatile ones with creatures that can be pumped or with a sideboard. If we used your special rule, we would have to account that each player could potentially put a +2/+2, haste, indestructible, deathtouch, lifelink, double strike, trample, vigilance, hexproof, menace, or flying counter on their own creature, a -2/-2 counter on an opponent's creature, a storage/depletion counter on their land, or a time counter on the opponent's suspended card, all in the same game.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-08-04 at 05:35 AM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Welcome BasketOfPuppies.

ben-zayb: have you decided on what special rule Return round 25 will use? I'm having second thoughts on the "put a counter once per game" rule now. We already have some difficulties evaluating combat-based matchups in normal rounds, especially versatile ones with creatures that can be pumped or with a sideboard. If we used your special rule, we would have to account that each player could potentially put a +2/+2, haste, indestructible, deathtouch, lifelink, double strike, trample, vigilance, hexproof, menace, or flying counter on their own creature, a -2/-2 counter on an opponent's creature, a storage/depletion counter on their land, or a time counter on the opponent's suspended card, all in the same game.
    We could go with the previous suggestions, if you all want to vote for it. Personally, my preferred of the older suggestions are the one where all spells have flash and the one where a player creates a Food token on their upkeep.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

[Return round 30 special rules discussion]
    Personally, my preferred of the older suggestions are the one where all spells have flash and the one where a player creates a Food token on their upkeep.
    All spells have flash => I'd enjoy the chaos and fast pace that causes, and there are some great sorceries that we can break with that. But I think Fable would hate the turn 0 discards.
    A player creates a Food token on their upkeep => I support this one too.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

So it looks like BasketOfPuppies DD against b_jonas, WW against Bucky, me, Ninjaman, and LL against plopfill. I'm not sure about the matchup vs Tom the Mime, will do the math later tonight.
    b_jonas LL against Bucky, me, plopfill; WW against Ninjaman and Tom the Mime
    Bucky does seem to sweep everyone but BasketOfPuppies.
    I WW against Ninjaman, but LL to plopfill and Tom the Mime.
    I think Ninjaman LL or WL against plopfill, and LL against Tom the Mime.

Edit:
    BasketOfPuppies: WD vs b_jonas, WW vs Bucky, WW vs Laughing Dog, WW vs Ninjaman, LL vs plopfill, and WL vs Tom the Mime. 25 pts
    b_jonas: DL vs BasketOfPuppies, LL vs Bucky, LL vs Laughing Dog, DD vs Ninjaman, LL vs plopfill, and WW vs Tom the Mime. 9 pts
    Bucky: LL vs BasketOfPuppies, WW vs everyone else. 30 pts
    Laughing Dog: LL vs BasketOfPuppies, WW vs b_jonas, LL vs Bucky, WW vs Ninjaman, LL vs plopfill, and LL vs Tom the Mime. 12 pts.
    Ninjaman: LL vs BasketOfPuppies, DD vs b_jonas, LL vs Bucky, LL vs Laughing Dog, WW vs Plopfill, and WL vs Tom the Mime. 11 pts
    plopfill: WW vs BasketOfPuppies, WW vs b_jonas, LL vs Bucky, WW vs Laughing Dog, LL vs Ninjaman, and WW vs Tom the Mime. 24 pts
    Tom the Mime: WL vs BasketOfPuppies, LL vs b_jonas, LL vs Bucky, WW vs Laughing Dog, WL vs Ninjaman, LL vs plopfill. 12 pts.

Pretty sure that's accurate. It wasn't, b_jonas and Ninjaman DD.
    Last edited by Laughing Dog; 2020-08-04 at 10:41 PM.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

9. - Top - End - #519
    Halfling in the Playground

Hey, thanks for having me. Iíve been wanting to join this for a while now, but always felt a little intimidated. I figured that the only way to get over it was to jump in. It looks like I did ok.
    Avatar by @CultistKitten on Twitter

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    plopfill: [. . .] LL vs Ninjaman
    How are you getting that? I think I should be able to at least get a draw by casting Ratchet Bomb on turn 1 and charging it up to hit whichever companion is chosen, and getting Hangarback Walker to 4/4 so it can block and kill Stirring Wildwood.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    So it looks like BasketOfPuppies DD against b_jonas, WW against Bucky, me, Ninjaman, and LL against plopfill. I'm not sure about the matchup vs Tom the Mime, will do the math later tonight.
    b_jonas LL against Bucky, me, plopfill; WW against Ninjaman and Tom the Mime
    Bucky does seem to sweep everyone but BasketOfPuppies.
    I WW against Ninjaman, but LL to plopfill and Tom the Mime.
    I think Ninjaman LL or WL against plopfill, and LL against Tom the Mime.

Edit:
    BasketOfPuppies: WD vs b_jonas, WW vs Bucky, WW vs Laughing Dog, WW vs Ninjaman, LL vs plopfill, and WL vs Tom the Mime. 25 pts
    b_jonas: DL vs BasketOfPuppies, LL vs Bucky, LL vs Laughing Dog, DD vs Ninjaman, LL vs plopfill, and WW vs Tom the Mime. 9 pts
    Bucky: LL vs BasketOfPuppies, WW vs everyone else. 30 pts
    Laughing Dog: LL vs BasketOfPuppies, WW vs b_jonas, LL vs Bucky, WW vs Ninjaman, LL vs plopfill, and LL vs Tom the Mime. 12 pts.
    Ninjaman: LL vs BasketOfPuppies, DD vs b_jonas, LL vs Bucky, LL vs Laughing Dog, WW vs Plopfill, and WL vs Tom the Mime. 11 pts
    plopfill: WW vs BasketOfPuppies, WW vs b_jonas, LL vs Bucky, WW vs Laughing Dog, LL vs Ninjaman, and WW vs Tom the Mime. 24 pts
    Tom the Mime: WL vs BasketOfPuppies, LL vs b_jonas, LL vs Bucky, WW vs Laughing Dog, WL vs Ninjaman, LL vs plopfill. 12 pts.

Pretty sure that's accurate. It wasn't, b_jonas and Ninjaman DD.
    Okay, there's a lot more mistakes there.

BasketOfPuppies:
    b_jonas can always get at least a 3/3 stonecoil serpent with reach by T3 to trade and BoP can keep them to that. Flanking only works on blocking though so b_jonas wins the race They still get the mana from the enchanted land and crystal vein isn't played until they're ready to sac it. LL
    Bucky: fine WW
    Laughing Dog: fine WW
    Against ninjaman, BoP can't play evil presence before the bounceland of they lose with the reach manland buying enough time for the storage land. So ninja leads with the woods then plays the steppe and (left alone) has 3 counters when untapped by T5. Knight of Sursi can swing T4 and T5 (on play) and then BoP is forced to use evil presence on the steppe which is then bounced by the sanctuary and enough mana is available for the manland way before lethal is possible and ninja can get the storage counters during BoP's end step to break through the deadlock with Jegantha. LL
    Against plopfill, walker drops T1. If evil presence is played, they have another turn to grow and take no damage from the land doing so and outpace knight of sursi. If it isn't, ratchet bomb is played and will pop the knight. LL
    Against Tom the Mime, 3 2/2s swinging from T2 is too much and Knight's of Sursi can only trade with one anyway because flanking only works when attacking. Evil presence does nothing without lands. LL
    12 points

b_jonas:
    BoP: See above, WW
    Bucky: fine LL
    Laughing Dog: fine LL
    Ninjaman: fine DD, Stonecoil is a brick wall against multicoloured but loses the race without vigilance so stays back to block.
    plopfill: fine LL
    Tom the Mime: a 3/3 by T3 is enough to stop me from attacking but they can't get a creature big enough, soon enough to win a race against 6 power swinging at them if they attack, DD
    10 points

Bucky:
    All fine, pretty straightforward losing to land disruption, beating everything else
    30 points

Laughing Dog:
    Results are all fine. The lieutenant stops the creature easily against ninja.
    12 points

Ninjaman:
    See above except for plopfill and Tom the Mime
    plopfill: DD for the reasons given by plopfill. Even with the self inflicted damage, ninjaman can't deal enough damage before the walker grows enough but if plopfill pops the walker with the ratchet bomb the multiple creatures threatening stopping them dropping their life past 3 before popping it and needing multiple blockers per turn means they have to use the ratchet bomb defensively to pop the companion. DD
    Tom the Mime: Ninjaman can effectively only get a single creature out (the wildwood with mana untapped) by T4 so on play, I just muscle through. On draw, I can get 12 damage through before they can stall out with the wildwood. They can choose from any companion by this point. Jegantha - if they swing with both, I block Jegantha with all and it's 17 v 12 so it's a 6 turn clock but I've got the next swing. Just swinging with Jegantha and it's the same sort of thing - they'd have first shot next time but a slightly longer clock. Just swing with the woods and I block with 2, one dies, so with all out attacks afterwards, they're on a 3 turn clock and I'm on a 4 turn clock. Zirda fares worse as preventing a block just lets me swing more through. Kaheera - wildwood attacks first, block with all, one remains and kaheera can't get over a 2/2. Attack with both, block kaheera with one wildwood with other two, everything dies. Attack with Kaheera, block with one, both die. DL
    11 points

plopfill:
    See above for most
    Tom the Mime: Ratchet bomb kills the tokens as soon as they come out and that's game. WW
    26 points

Tom the Mime:
    See the results above
    18 points
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    ~snip~
    Yeah, I was going to fix a number of my mistakes this morning. Although for some reason I thought BasketOfPuppies' Knight was a 3/3. Which account for my mistakes there. Thanks for double checking me. Also can we ban Ancient Tomb already? It's a headache to try and figure out the damage race with that thing.
    Last edited by Laughing Dog; 2020-08-05 at 07:53 AM. Reason: typo
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow! Thanks to all of you for evaluating these matches. I'm too lazy to even make a table now for those results, sorry.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Wow! Thanks to all of you for evaluating these matches. I'm too lazy to even make a table now for those results, sorry.
    No worries. I'll draw up a table once I'm done with work.

For rounds 26 onwards, do we have any new volunteers for hosting? I don't mind doing 5 more rounds, but I look forward to being a player again too.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Return Round 24 Table
    Bu pf TM BP LD Nj bj
    Bucky -- WW WW LL WW WW WW 30 MaritMage
    plopfill LL -- WW WW WW DD WW 26 BombWalker
    Tom the Mime LL LL -- WW WW WD DD 18 MeekGoblins
    BasketOfPuppies WW LL LL -- WW LL LL 12 EvilPresence
    Laughing Dog LL LL LL LL -- WW WW 12 ProtKnights
    Ninjaman LL DD DL WW LL -- DD 11 Companions
    b_jonas LL LL DD WW LL DD -- 10 Stonecoil

Again, I'll give 24 hours for disputes, then we'll call it a round. For Special Round 25, you may want to prepare for a "Food Fight".

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Again, I'll give 24 hours for disputes, then we'll call it a round. For Special Round 25, you may want to prepare for a "Food Fight".
    Oooh! Time to fetch my Frogmites and the old Esper artifact deck with Court Homumculus and Sludge Strider. The Etherium Sculptor remains in the drawer this time, as you'll be providing the food.

HmmÖ Master Transmuter? It's not actually an improvement over Ilharg, the Raze-Boar. It would get the Colossus in the same turn, but without haste, and has a smaller body for itself. I'll continue searching.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Final Results for Return Round 24
    Gold: Bucky
    Silver: plopfill
    Bronze: Tom the Mime
    Knight Knight: BasketOfPuppies, Laughing Dog
    Didn't quite land: Ninjaman
    Recoiled: b_jonas

Spoiler: Return Round 24 Table
    Show
    Bu pf TM BP LD Nj bj
    Bucky -- WW WW LL WW WW WW 30 MaritMage
    plopfill LL -- WW WW WW DD WW 26 BombWalker
    Tom the Mime LL LL -- WW WW WD DD 18 MeekGoblins
    BasketOfPuppies WW LL LL -- WW LL LL 12 EvilPresence
    Laughing Dog LL LL LL LL -- WW WW 12 ProtKnights
    Ninjaman LL DD DL WW LL -- DD 11 Companions
    b_jonas LL LL DD WW LL DD -- 10 Stonecoil

Everyone, please send in your decks for Special Round 25 - Food Fight. Click. I will accept decks until the end of Thursday, the 13th.

Food Fight:
    Each player has an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, create a Food token."

Ban list for Round 25.
    Spoiler: Ban list for Round 25
    Show
    Land: Bayou; Blackcleave Cliffs; Blooming Marsh; Botanical Sanctum; Celestial Colonnade; City of Traitors; Dark Depths; Dryad Arbor; Geier Reach Sanitarium; Ghost Quarter; Hall of Heliod's Generosity; Hickory Woodlot; Inkmoth Nexus; Irrigation Ditch; Karakas; Maze of Ith; Mishra's Factory; Mishra's Workshop; Peat Bog; Shelldock Isle; Strip Mine; Taiga; Tropical Island; Waste Land (Mystery Booster playtest); Wasteland.

Artifact/Colourless: Black Lotus; Blacker Lotus; Chronomaton; Dispatch Dispensary; Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; Karn, the Great Creator; Lion's Eye Diamond; Liquimetal Coating; Lodestone Golem; Lotus Petal; Lupine Prototype; Mana Crypt; Mirrored Lotus; Mox Emerald; Mox Pearl; Mox Sapphire; Natural Unity; Ornithopter; Sol Ring; The Rack; Time Vault; Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre; Voltaic Key; Weight Advantage.

White: Cenn's Tactician; Chancellor of the Annex; History of Benalia; Serra Ascendant; Thalia, Guardian of Thraben; The Cheese Stands Alone.

Blue: Errant Ephemeron; Force of Negation; Force of Will; Gilded Drake; Jace, Wielder of Mysteries; Laboratory Maniac; Leyline of Anticipation; Mental Misstep; Misthollow Griffin; Piracy Charm; Sea's Claim; Thassa's Oracle.

Black: Blackmail; Cabal Therapy; Cruel Sadist; Mind Swords; Nether Spirit; Spike, Tournament Grinder; Street Wraith; Thoughtseize; Vampire Hexmage.

Red: Alpine Moon; Burning Inquiry; Raze; Wrench-Rigger.

Green: Channel; Collector Ouphe; Crashing Footfalls; Durkwood Baloth; Hexdrinker; Living Wish; Llanowar Mentor; Mayor of Avabruck; Skyshroud Cutter; Thallid; Young Wolf.

Gold: Gyruda, Doom of Depths; Lurrus of the Dream-Den; Lutri, the Spellchaser; Meddling Mage; Research // Development; Umori, the Collector.