Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Return of the MTG: Vanishing Three Card Blind - Once upon a time there was a 3CB

Yeah, not a fan of four cards, choose the best three, or of banning the disruption you haven't planned against. I'd say we continue on as we have been.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Return of the MTG: Vanishing Three Card Blind - Once upon a time there was a 3CB

One more thing we could try for special rounds is that red or green creatures get +1/+1 and red or green spells cost {1} less to cast, or some such similar color hosing special rule, as that also discourages disruption strats.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    One more thing we could try for special rounds is that red or green creatures get +1/+1 and red or green spells cost {1} less to cast, or some such similar color hosing special rule, as that also discourages disruption strats.
    One, that sounds like a really boring special rule and two, that wouldn't really do much because all it does is allow a 2-drop or a slightly bigger 1-drop to be played first turn ahead of the disruption and with dual lands, the disruption deck can play the exact same style of threat. Unless you have a special round which is creatures only, disruption will be part of the meta you have to try and pick. Until all the good ones are gone maybe which isn't exactly imminent. With Cenn's tactician and cruel sadist banned this round, the plan B of disruption decks just got a lot weaker. If you don't have a 1 drop that can grow, things like treetop village and token flashback should beat discard handily.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Final Results for Return Round 21
    Gold: plopfill, Gauntlet
    Bronze: Tom the Mime
    Under the Threetop: Ninjaman
    Bogged down: b_jonas
    Overcooked: Laughing Dog
    Well-wishes: Fable Wright

Round 22
    Everyone, please send in your decks for Round 22. Click. I will accept decks until the end of Sunday, the 12th.

Ban list for Round 22.
    Spoiler: Ban list for Round 21
    Show
    Land: Bayou; Blackcleave Cliffs; Blooming Marsh; Celestial Colonnade; City of Traitors; Dryad Arbor; Geier Reach Sanitarium; Ghost Quarter; Hall of Heliod's Generosity; Hickory Woodlot; Inkmoth Nexus; Irrigation Ditch; Karakas; Maze of Ith; Mishra's Factory; Mishra's Workshop; Shelldock Isle; Strip Mine; Taiga; Tropical Island; Waste Land (Mystery Booster playtest); Wasteland.

Artifact/Colourless: Black Lotus; Blacker Lotus; Chronomaton; Dispatch Dispensary; Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; Karn, the Great Creator; Lion's Eye Diamond; Liquimetal Coating; Lodestone Golem; Lotus Petal; Lupine Prototype; Mana Crypt; Mirrored Lotus; Mox Emerald; Mox Pearl; Mox Sapphire; Natural Unity; Ornithopter; Sol Ring; The Rack; Time Vault; Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre; Voltaic Key; Weight Advantage.

White: Cenn's Tactician; Chancellor of the Annex; History of Benalia; Serra Ascendant; Thalia, Guardian of Thraben; The Cheese Stands Alone.

Blue: Errant Ephemeron; Force of Negation; Force of Will; Gilded Drake; Jace, Wielder of Mysteries; Laboratory Maniac; Leyline of Anticipation; Mental Misstep; Misthollow Griffin; Piracy Charm; Thassa's Oracle.

Black: Blackmail; Cabal Therapy; Cruel Sadist; Mind Swords; Nether Spirit; Spike, Tournament Grinder; Street Wraith; Thoughtseize.

Red: Burning Inquiry; Raze; Wrench-Rigger.

Green: Channel; Collector Ouphe; Crashing Footfalls; Durkwood Baloth; Living Wish; Llanowar Mentor; Mayor of Avabruck; Skyshroud Cutter; Young Wolf.

Gold: Gyruda, Doom of Depths; Lurrus of the Dream-Den; Lutri, the Spellchaser; Meddling Mage; Research // Development; Umori, the Collector.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Revealing the decks for Return Round 22

b_jonas: Saprazzan Cove, Hive Mind, Pact of the Titan
    Fable Wright: Alpine Moon, Thallid, Taiga
    Laughing Dog: Dwarven Ruins, Alpine Moon, Impatient Iguana
    Ninjaman: Treetop Village, Simic Growth Chamber, Oko, Thief of Crowns
    plopfill: Svyelunite Temple, Flash, Worldspine Wurm
    Tom the Mime: Saprazzan Cove, Ensnaring Bridge, Decorated Knight // Present Arms; Sideboard: Devil's Play, Dwarven Hold, Richard Garfield PhD

Perhaps fittingly, land disruption makes its return with Fable Wright's turn 1 Alpine Moon sweeping the entire competition (WW vs all, for 30 points).

Laughing Dog had a similar plan that may be slower, but with an Impatient Iguana ensuring an Alpine Moon drop before the other lands untap (WW the rest, for 24 points).

Flash shows up after very long time, and plopfill's wurm appears to outrace the others (WW the rest, for 18 points).

The remaining matchups I wasn't able to look further, so that should at least keep the thread busy for a while. It looks like b_jonas has a fast enough deck to still secure the WWs.

Tom the Mime had the following notes for the Decorated Knight's sideboards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime
    Yes, it is largely an excuse to play the last card there and but it shouldn't be much of a mess. By the time Richard Garfield comes out, it'd almost have to be a stalled board state and it just gives more options to break it so it's not as if it's looking at lots of cards with timings, just what can break things up. Red is basically going to be burn with different minor effects if needed and blue has counter (out of bounds), bounce (dematerialise), permatap (capture sphere). If anything more complicated would happen, it's easy enough to mark as a loss until proven otherwise. It's technically possible it could bounce the bridge to play another 3 cmc artifact (or if there's a slow creatureless deck with no land disruption) but it seems unlikely to come up so not thinking of it unless I need to. If there are issues with playing that, let me know.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2020-07-13 at 06:37 AM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

This round, I didn't find much time to think about my submission, so I come with a deck that I hastily thrown together.

As for Tom the Mime's deck, you all said that Tom's rulings from earlier aren't always binding, but they're certainly worth to at least read, so here's his ruling about Richard Garfield, Ph.D. the un-card. Also, what the heck! There's yet another card with adventure that accesses the sideboard (besides Fae of Wishes)? Ah I see, this one isn't from Throne of Eldraine, it's the most recent holiday card. The holiday card series makes appearance in our 3CB format at a high rate.

I like plopfill's deck. I was in fact just looking for ways to sneak a large creature into play without paying for it, but I somehow missed this combo (Flash, Worldspine Wurm). Mind you, it wouldn't have worked in this round with the two Alpine Moons anyway.

Ninjaman is back with his Oko deck.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-07-13 at 07:31 AM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Heh, didn't expect it to do too well but I kinda wish I at least got a point with this deck.

Also, that wasn't the current decklist I sent even though it makes no difference. The sideboard was Mountain, Richard Garfield, Detonate because plopfill had run cauldron cats a couple of times and properly casting detonate was quicker in almost the only situation where it was still a race where I hadn't either lost or completely stalled. So it still wasn't a good deck but there was a semi likely situation where Richard Garfield would have been better than a simple bridge burn (which would've been wiped as well). Also considered a contraption deck as well if allowed in addition to a sideboard because of chipper chopper (although that one was pretty much just silliness).

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

We can wrap this up quickly. I won't even make a table for the results. Fable Wright wins, let's award him his imaginary internet point and start the next round.

b_jonas vs Fable Wright: LL.
    b_jonas vs Laughing Dog: LL.
    Fable Wright vs Ninjaman: WW. Ninjaman has two lands, but if the Alpine Moon humbles the Simic Growth Chamber, then Ninjaman can't even animate the Treetop Village.
    Laughing Dog vs Ninjaman: WW.
    Fable Wright vs plopfill: WW. Alpine Moon is fast enough to stop plopfill from tapping the land for mana.
    Laughing Dog vs plopfill: WW.
    Fable Wright vs Tom the Mime: WW.
    Laughing Dog vs Tom the Mime: WW.
    Fable Wright vs Laughing Dog: WW. Fable Wright tanks the damage until he gets a second creature, then he can stalemate the Iguana with one creature and attack with the other.
    b_jonas vs Tom the Mime: WW. Ensnaring Bridge and Devil's Play don't help, and Tom is too slow to cast Richard Garfield Ph.D.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-07-15 at 06:15 AM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

We can wrap this up quickly. I won't even make a table for the results. Fable Wright wins, let's award him his imaginary internet point and start the next round.

Fable Wright vs Laughing Dog: WW. Fable Wright tanks the damage until he gets a second creature, then he can stalemate the Iguana with one creature and attack with the other.
    Actually, Fable Wright takes no damage. Dwarven Ruins enter tapped, which means he can drop Alpine Moon on his turn one, there-by preventing me from ever playing the iguana.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Also, that wasn't the current decklist I sent even though it makes no difference. The sideboard was Mountain, Richard Garfield, Detonate ...

Also considered a contraption deck as well if allowed in addition to a sideboard because of chipper chopper (although that one was pretty much just silliness).
    Oh shoot, I'm an idiot. Your deck change showed as belonging from last week's inbox and I immediately thought it was your original submission for round 22 (although the title is different).

For contraptions + sideboard: Having 6 cards between 2 card pools is complex enough and I'd like to minimize the headache here, so I'm ruling that participants can only choose either sideboard or contraptions.
    b_jonas vs Tom the Mime: WW. Ensnaring Bridge and Devil's Play don't help, and Tom is too slow to cast Richard Garfield Ph.D.
    For the remaining matchups, here's what I got:
    Ninjaman v b_jonas The Pact + Hivemind combo takes 8 turns minimum, while Oko + Treetop Village will finish in 7. Ninjaman gets WW.

Ninjaman v Tom the Mime Ensnaring Bridge can easily be stolen, and the rest of the deck + sideboard is just too slow. Ninjaman gets WW.

If there are no disputes within 24 hours, I'm gonna call the round.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Actually... I made another doodoo and didn't realize the original dual lands weren't part of the ban exemptions.

Fable Wright got the highest point, but the list doesn't qualify. That means Alpine Moon still gets the banhammer, together with Impatient Iguana, but Thallid doesn't. My apologies, Fable Wright

Final Results for Return Round 22
    Gold: Fable Wright
    Silver : Laughing Dog
    Bronze:: plopfill
    Oko, Oh No: Ninjaman
    Big Brain move: b_jonas
    Just a flesh wound: Tom the Mime

Spoiler: Return Round 22 Table
    Show
    FW LD pf N bj TM
    Fable Wright -- WW WW WW WW WW 30 TaigaAlpine
    Laughing Dog LL -- WW WW WW WW 24 IguanaAlpine
    plopfill LL LL -- WW WW WW 18 FlashOfWurms
    Ninjaman LL LL LL -- WW WW 12 ChamberThief
    b_jonas LL LL LL LL -- WW 6 TitanMind
    Tom the Mime LL LL LL LL LL -- 0 BridgeKnight

Everyone, please send in your decks for Round 23. Click. I will accept decks until the end of Thursday, the 23rd.

Ban list for Round 23.
    Spoiler: Ban list for Round 22
    Show
    Land: Bayou; Blackcleave Cliffs; Blooming Marsh; Celestial Colonnade; City of Traitors; Dryad Arbor; Geier Reach Sanitarium; Ghost Quarter; Hall of Heliod's Generosity; Hickory Woodlot; Inkmoth Nexus; Irrigation Ditch; Karakas; Maze of Ith; Mishra's Factory; Mishra's Workshop; Shelldock Isle; Strip Mine; Taiga; Tropical Island; Waste Land (Mystery Booster playtest); Wasteland.

Artifact/Colourless: Black Lotus; Blacker Lotus; Chronomaton; Dispatch Dispensary; Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; Karn, the Great Creator; Lion's Eye Diamond; Liquimetal Coating; Lodestone Golem; Lotus Petal; Lupine Prototype; Mana Crypt; Mirrored Lotus; Mox Emerald; Mox Pearl; Mox Sapphire; Natural Unity; Ornithopter; Sol Ring; The Rack; Time Vault; Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre; Voltaic Key; Weight Advantage.

White: Cenn's Tactician; Chancellor of the Annex; History of Benalia; Serra Ascendant; Thalia, Guardian of Thraben; The Cheese Stands Alone.

Blue: Errant Ephemeron; Force of Negation; Force of Will; Gilded Drake; Jace, Wielder of Mysteries; Laboratory Maniac; Leyline of Anticipation; Mental Misstep; Misthollow Griffin; Piracy Charm; Thassa's Oracle.

Black: Blackmail; Cabal Therapy; Cruel Sadist; Mind Swords; Nether Spirit; Spike, Tournament Grinder; Street Wraith; Thoughtseize.

Red: Alpine Moon; Burning Inquiry; Raze; Wrench-Rigger.

Green: Channel; Collector Ouphe; Crashing Footfalls; Durkwood Baloth; Living Wish; Llanowar Mentor; Mayor of Avabruck; Skyshroud Cutter; Thallid; Young Wolf.

Gold: Gyruda, Doom of Depths; Lurrus of the Dream-Den; Lutri, the Spellchaser; Meddling Mage; Research // Development; Umori, the Collector.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2020-07-20 at 04:57 AM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Actually... I made another doodoo and didn't realize the original dual lands weren't part of the ban exemptions.

Fable Wright got the highest point, but the list doesn't qualify. That means Alpine Moon still gets the banhammer, together with Impatient Iguana, but Thallid doesn't. My apologies, Fable Wright.
    Heck no. If you didn't catch that mistake early, he still wins, because if he knew that Taiga was banned, he could have trivially substituted a different land, like Gemstone Mine or Gold Mine or Ancient Ziggurat or Cinder Gale or Stomping Ground, and he'd still have won. Ban Cinder Gale if you want, but we don't punish a deck for an accidental mistake that would be easy to fix on your side. We also don't remove decks just because the submitter can't spell card names or doesn't spell out the full name of which Oko they're thinking of, and I know that's quite common, because I've been a host.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-07-16 at 06:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Heck no. If you didn't catch that mistake early, he still wins, because if he knew that Taiga was banned, he could have trivially substituted a different land, like Gemstone Mine or Gold Mine or Ancient Ziggurat or Cinder Gale or Stomping Ground, and he'd still have won. Ban Cinder Gale if you want, but we don't punish a deck for an accidental mistake that would be easy to fix on your side. We also don't remove decks just because the submitter can't spell card names or doesn't spell out the full name of which Oko they're thinking of, and I know that's quite common, because I've been a host.
    While I own up to my errors, I can't make the decision for the players and it's too late in this round for FW to make changes. I don't think it's within my power either to proxy-ban cards that are valid substitutes. I see three possible options here for banning cards:
    1. Fable Wright's card list
    2. Laughing Dog's card list
    3. Both

If participants are fine with letting Fable Wright's victory stand despite my screwup for entry legality, then we can go with that. If there are objections, then it'll be a decision via majority.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Firbolg in the Playground

On the one hand, you're absolutely right, and if I was aware I'd have run Cinder Glade instead.

On the other hand, this means Alpine Moon and Impatient Iguana are banned, while Thallid stays in the card pool, so I am oddly okay with this result.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    On the other hand, this means Alpine Moon and Impatient Iguana are banned, while Thallid stays in the card pool, so I am oddly okay with this result.
    Hmm, you have a point there. Do the right thing, or ban Impatient Iguana? I'm tempted.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

I'm okay with you banning my list as well. I wouldn't of suggested it if I hadn't been. I'm also okay with banning Fable Wright's list as well, but no matter what Alpine Moon is gone; that's the important thing here.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

17. - Top - End - #497
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I don't mind either way given it's an easy substitution to make if aware and alpine moon did most of the heavy lifting anyway. Thallid is one of the better one drops in that it beats most other 1 drops but the growth is too slow to take on anything much bigger and, outside special rounds, I'm pretty sure the only thing impatient iguana is good for is against encroach so it only makes sense to run it if you expect a lot of encroach or if you've got cheap red disruption which makes you pretty comfortable against most other things (which seems much less likely without alpine moon).

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I heard you all and it seems like there are no objections for Fable Wright's win. I'll update the banlist and add Thallid instead of the Iguana.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Aren't we sending in our decks for round 23? 22 was this round.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Revealing the decks for Return Round 23

b_jonas: Mercadian Bazaar, Ilharg, the Raze-Boar, Blightsteel Colossus (Mirrodin Besieged)

Fable Wright: Badlands, Inquisition of Kozilek, Keldon Halberdier

Laughing Dog: Leyline of Sanctity, Fountain of Cho, Riders of Gavony.

Ninjaman:Stirring Wildwood, Selesnya Sanctuary, Saltcrusted Steppe; Sideboard: Kaheera, the Orphanguard, Zirda, the Dawnwaker, Jegantha, the Wellspring

plopfill: Ancient Tomb, Thorn of Amethyst, Hangarback Walker

Tom the Mime: Hexdrinker, Sea's Claim, Botanical Sanctum

Was it just me, or did the GitP went busy for a long time? I haven't been able to check how the matchups will go exactly, but we got discard and land disruption again.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

b_jonas: T8 lethal with poison counters. Too quick for most decks and land disruption was the only effective disruption against it. LL against Tom, WL against ninjaman, WW against everyone else. Against ninjaman, you can pull Kagheera to the hand T4, play it T5 and swing with it and the manland each turn after. Kagheera boosting the manland just gives it enough for critical with ninjaman on play.

Fable Wright: LL against b_jonas, laughing dog, WD(?) against plopfill, DD(?) against ninjaman, DL against Tom the Mime. Not sure about plopfill and ninja but the ancient tomb damage while growing (so they can't grow big enough to one shot either) and the damage before a companion comes out means that blockers have to be held back against them I think.

Laughing Dog: LL against b_jonas, Tom the Mime, Ninjaman. WW against Fable Wright. DL against plopfill. The manland and different types on death for the walker really hurt the protection. Plopfill only ever grows the walker to 3/3 so it can die when it has to be blocked (otherwise laughing dog lose the race) and then trade with all three tokens if they can't win the race.

Ninjaman: WL against b_jonas, DD(?) against Fable Wright, WW against Laughing Dog, WW(?) against plopfill - I think Jegantha can come out T6, which should be enough with the manland and ancient tomb damage but I'd have to write it down and carefully go through it and the options to have any sort of confidence. LL(?) against Tom the Mime - the bounceland can get rid of sea's claim but I think having to do this slows the deck down enough that hexdrinker can get enough early damage through and have enough time to level up out of control.

Plopfill: LL against b_jonas, LD(?) against Fable Wright, WD against Laughing Dog, LL(?) against Tom the Mime - early damage and ancient tomb damage force them to hold back blockers but protection from everything breaks the deadlock I think

Tom the Mime: WW against b_jonas, Laughing Dog, Ninjaman(?), plopfill(?) WD against Fable Wright.

I think that depending on how many mistakes I made, either b_jonas or I took the round.

Also, throwing another special round idea out there given the rarities I saw when looking at the played cards - pauper or artisan.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-07-25 at 02:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow.

I had doubts about my deck, but I feel better now. Fable is unlucky, he brought both the wrong disruption and the wrong suspend threat against me. Tom, on the other hand, brought the right kind of disruption that works against everyone at least on play.

Ninjaman manages to bring back companions in such a way that each of the three possible companions is not only a creature that can attack, but also has an ability that makes Stirring Wildwood better. I don't think it's a very effective deck, but it's certainly a beautiful one.

Ninjaman vs Tom the Mime is interesting. Even if Tom puts Sea's Claim on the storage land, Ninjaman has enough mana to animate Stirring Wildwoods, pay the commander tax, and cast either Zidra or Kaheera. If you put Sea's Claim on the other lands, a companion is definitely coming, it's just late. But the outcome is not obvious, because Hexdrinker is an effective creature.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Return Round 23 Table
    FW LD pf N bj TM
    Fable Wright -- LL WD? LL LL DL 5 Inquisition
    Laughing Dog WW -- DL LL LL LL 7 HexProtect
    plopfill LD? WD -- LL? LL LL? 5 ThornWalker
    Ninjaman WW WW WW? -- WL LL? 21 SSSSideboard
    b_jonas WW WW WW WL -- LL 21 GodBlight
    Tom the Mime DW WW WW? WW? WW -- 28 HexClaim

Let me know of any disputes or breakdown for unsure matchups. My 2 cents:

Fable Wright v Ninjaman (originally DD?, but it looks like LL to me)
    Halberdier needs T9 to get the W. Kaheera can be fetched and cast in T6, and a 4/5 Wildwood by T7 keeps the Halberdier in check. Steppe can keep on storing counters indefinitely until it has enough to keep the Wildwood attacking for 5 full turns for the W. Even on the play, FW gets LL against Ninjaman.

Tom the Mime v Ninjaman (originally WW?, and seems true)
    Sea's Claim can even be cast before the critical turn where Wildwood can threaten a chumpblock with a companion. Hexdrinker kills by T7 if go unopposed, which it will because Wildwood can't block until T4 when Hex is already a 4/4. By T7, Ninjaman is down to 4 and the chumpblock setup against FW won't work because of Sea's Claim on Wildwood. That's even my best-case scenario take where Sea's Claim doesn't get used on the Steppe after the Sanctum is down. The other scenario, b_jonas has already covered.

Tom the Mime appears to take the round barring any dispute against the plopfill matchup, so I'll give another 24 hours for that.

EDIT: If there's no majority vote for special round rules by Round 24's reveal, then I have a suggestion:
    Instead of 3 cards for sideboard, each player gets to submit 3 kinds of counters from this compiled list. This would follow a rule similar to the new companion rule: Once per game, any time you could cast a sorcery (during your main phase when the stack is empty), you can put one of counters on target permanent or player (as long as that permanent or player can legally have that counter). This is a special action, not an activated ability. It happens immediately and can't be responded to.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2020-07-28 at 01:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom the Mime appears to take the round barring any dispute against the plopfill matchup, so I'll give another 24 hours for that.
    Can you please extend that to tomorror (let's say 2020-07-28 02:00 UTC)? I'd like to look at these matches a bit more, but I'll be busy today. Of course you can always call for submissions for the next round, even if the results may change.

Instead of 3 cards for sideboard, each player gets to submit 3 kinds of counters from this compiled list. This would follow a rule similar to the new companion rule: Once per game, any time you could cast a sorcery (during your main phase when the stack is empty), you can put one of counters on target permanent or player (as long as that permanent or player can legally have that counter). This is a special action, not an activated ability. It happens immediately and can't be responded to.
    I like that special rule for round 25, as long as it allows any counter from Wizards-issued cards, even if the list you linked omits it by mistake or because it only occurs on new cards. I assume that you can use un-world counters if your submission has an un-card, such as doom counters from unstable, funk counters, globe counters, eyestalk counters, shoe counters represented by your actual shoes for Shoe Tree, pop! counters from Water Gun Balloon Game from unhinged, or the unnamed counters from Bucket List from Mystery Booster playtest. None of this will probably matter, but I try to fix the rules in advance. We have to restrict un-counters to when un-rules are allowed on principle, because Wizards could print an un-card that uses +99/+99 counters.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Pixie in the Playground

EDIT: If there's no majority vote for special round rules by Round 24's reveal, then I have a suggestion:
    There is a bit of a problem with that. Going by existing precedent, special actions should not target, because only objects on the stack target. You could still make it target, but it won't do anything because the system is not set up to handle that; for example, Shroud is defined as "This permanent or player canít be the target of spells or abilities."

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by plopfill View Post
    There is a bit of a problem with that. Going by existing precedent, special actions should not target, because only objects on the stack target. You could still make it target, but it won't do anything because the system is not set up to handle that; for example, Shroud is defined as "This permanent or player canít be the target of spells or abilities."
    Ah, good catch. Make it not target, that's cleaner and probably doesn't change anything.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Can you please extend that to tomorror (let's say 2020-07-28 02:00 UTC)? I'd like to look at these matches a bit more, but I'll be busy today. Of course you can always call for submissions for the next round, even if the results may change.
    Sure. Players can and have already sent submissions in advance before. I know I did.
    I like that special rule for round 25, as long as it allows any counter from Wizards-issued cards, even if the list you linked omits it by mistake or because it only occurs on new cards. I assume that you can use un-world counters if your submission has an un-card, such as doom counters from unstable, funk counters, globe counters, eyestalk counters, shoe counters represented by your actual shoes for Shoe Tree, pop! counters from Water Gun Balloon Game from unhinged, or the unnamed counters from Bucket List from Mystery Booster playtest. None of this will probably matter, but I try to fix the rules in advance. We have to restrict un-counters to when un-rules are allowed on principle, because Wizards could print an un-card that uses +99/+99 counters.
    I mean we can go with named counters named in MtG cards, including the Un-set counters, but we'd have to revise it so that you can put your chosen counter on anything where it can be put into using MtG rules, since cards like B-I-N-G-O puts a counter on neither permanent nor player. This also opens up putting time counters on suspended cards, in case you want to do something with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by plopfill View Post
    Ah, good catch. Make it not target, that's cleaner and probably doesn't change anything.
    Sure, we can make it not targeted, simply chosen. It's sorcery speed, so I think that balances out being able to be put on other players and their permanents/exiled card/what have you.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

More about the counters idea. I apologize in advance for the wall of text.

In normal tournament-legal Magic, we can now have almost any counter on cards or tokens in the graveyard or exile because of https://scryfall.com/card/cm2/165/sk...-walking-grave, and even on the stack because of that combined with cards that let you cast any creature from the graveyard. So you have to decide in advance whether you want the special ability given by the special rule to put a counter on a spell, and whether you allow this for any spell or only on a spell that is not an instant or sorcery.

It is not easy to show a situation where this rules question actually matters, but they exist. If I cast Skullbriar while there's a Night of Souls' Betrayal in play, I want to put a +2/+2 counter on it while it's on the stack so that it survives, because it would be too late to try to put a counter on it after it resolves. If I want to cast Skullbriar from the graveyard, my opponent can put a flying counter on it to trigger his Hidden Spider. Morbid Bloom cares about the toughness of a card in a graveyard, and rule 122.1a says that you have to count +1/+1 counters into the toughness for that. Interestingly, rule 122.1b explicitly says that keyword counters give the keyword ability not only to a permanent but also to a card in another zone (but doesn't mention tokens or copies of spells). I don't know of a case when this would actually matter in tournament-legal Magic: the keyword abilities deathtouch and lifelink matter when they're on a burn spell, but I think they never matter on a spell that isn't a sorcery or instant, and I think there's no way to get a counter on a spell that is a sorcery or instant, but I'm not sure in either of this. However, it could in theory matter in 3CB, if I were just allowed to use the special rule to put a deathtouch or lifelink counter on a burn spell.

Update: Disregard some of the above, I'm stupid. Your rules say that the special action is sorcery-speed, so there's no way to use it to put a counter on a spell. We still have to decide if it can put a counter on a card the graveyard though, so a very little of the question remains.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-07-27 at 02:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Do I not just win agains Fable Wright?

I can pick Jegantha which both dodges Inquisition and beats the Helberdier.

Helberdier comes out turn 5.
    t1 Wildwood t2 Steppe storage t3 Storage, sanctuary bounce wildwood t4 wildwood pay companion tax t5 cast Jegantha

That gives Helberdier one strike on the play. Jegantha can then swing through Helberdier. If Helberdier swings back both Jegantha and Wildwood get in on my turn.

Ninjaman manages to bring back companions in such a way that each of the three possible companions is not only a creature that can attack, but also has an ability that makes Stirring Wildwood better. I don't think it's a very effective deck, but it's certainly a beautiful one.
    Good thing I brought my healing salve for that burn.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

^ Yup Ninjaman WW against FW.

@b_jonas any last minute breakdowns before I call it?