Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Return of the MTG: Vanishing Three Card Blind - Once upon a time there was a 3CB

Revealing the decks for Return round 15, the special Conspiracy round. We got more than four decks again.

Ninjaman: Nether Spirit, Mountain, Burning Inquiry, conspiracy Power Play.
    Fable Wright: Ornithopter, Ornithopter, Ornithopter, conspiracy Weight Advantage.
    Korith: Gemstone Caverns, Force Spike, Bonesplitter, conspiracy Hold the Perimeter.
    Tom the Mime: Dryad Arbor, Durkwood Baloth, Mental Misstep, conspiracy Natural Unity.
    Personification: Fastbond, Ash Zealot, Squee, the Immortal, conspiracy Sovereign's Realm, sideboard Forest, Mountain, Mountain.
    Gauntlet: Swamp, Thoughtseize, Cruel Sadist, conspiracy Power Play.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Return of the MTG: Vanishing Three Card Blind - Once upon a time there was a 3CB

Well. Isn't this a beautiful mess of a round.

- Ninjaman Fable Wright Korith Tom the Mime Personification Gauntlet
    Ninjaman - WW DD LL WW WL
    Fable Wright LL - WW WW WW WW
    Korith DD LL - LL LL LL
    Tom the Mime WW LL WW - WW WW
    Personification LL LL WW LL - LL
    Gauntlet WL LL WW LL WW -

Someone check my math and formatting.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2020-04-01 at 10:14 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

How does Korith win at all? The one creature has defender.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

The scoreboard says personification and Tom the Mime WW against each other.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #335
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    They can't. Given its a special round, I doubt they'd be a backup for them to run and I don't think it changes the order of the results. Also a rare occurrence of a LD against personification doing better in the draw than the play.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Argh yes, I should probably have noticed that.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Argh yes, I should probably have noticed that.
    I probably should have, too! Oh well.
    This is a boring signature.
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

8. - Top - End - #338

He wins by me missing the defender. Correcting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    They can't. Given its a special round, I doubt they'd be a backup for them to run and I don't think it changes the order of the results. Also a rare occurrence of a LD against personification doing better in the draw than the play.
    No, it's an LL. Personification can just not cast Fastbond, and exile all three cards in hand to cast Squee as long as necessary to win.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339

Bumping to ask:

Who's running rounds 16-20? Do we have a tie between Ornithopters and Mental Misstep?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #340
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Pretty sure it's a tie. As for who's running the next 5 rounds, we haven't had a volunteer yet. Would you like to?
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still in favor of letting the person running the rounds play themselves, especially when we're already stumped for players.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #342
    Barbarian in the Playground

I can run the next 5 rounds if you like. I'm a little busier than usual currently, but should be able to post decks weekly or so.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Results of Return round 15.

First: Fable Wright
    First: Tom the Mime
    Third: Ninjaman
    Fourth: Gauntlet
    Fifth: Personification
    Sixth: Korith

It was good to see more than four decks again. I'm also personally glad to see Mental Misstep banned.

Ban list for Return round 16.
    Spoiler: Ban list for Return round 16
    Show
    Land: Bayou; Blackcleave Cliffs; Blooming Marsh; Celestial Colonnade; City of Traitors; Dryad Arbor; Geier Reach Sanitarium; Ghost Quarter; Hall of Heliod's Generosity; Inkmoth Nexus; Karakas; Maze of Ith; Mishra's Factory; Mishra's Workshop; Shelldock Isle; Strip Mine; Taiga; Tropical Island; Wasteland.

Artifact/Colourless: Black Lotus; Blacker Lotus; Chronomaton; Dispatch Dispensary; Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; Karn, the Great Creator; Lion's Eye Diamond; Liquimetal Coating; Lodestone Golem; Lotus Petal; Lupine Prototype; Mana Crypt; Mirrored Lotus; Mox Emerald; Mox Pearl; Mox Sapphire; Natural Unity; Ornithopter; Sol Ring; The Rack; Time Vault; Voltaic Key; Weight Advantage.

White: Chancellor of the Annex; History of Benalia; Serra Ascendant; Thalia, Guardian of Thraben; The Cheese Stands Alone.

Blue: Jace, Wielder of Mysteries; Laboratory Maniac; Leyline of Anticipation; Mental Misstep; Piracy Charm; Thassa's Oracle.

Black: Blackmail; Cabal Therapy; Mind Swords; Spike, Tournament Grinder; Street Wraith.

Red: Raze; Wrench-Rigger.

Green: Collector Ouphe; Crashing Footfalls; Durkwood Baloth; Living Wish; Llanowar Mentor;Skyshroud Cutter; Young Wolf.

Gold: Meddling Mage; Research // Development.

Please do not send decks for the next rounds to me, I am not the host. Gauntlet, thank you for volunteering, and please post a call for submissions if you're serious.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-04-06 at 04:22 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344

Go ahead and PM me decklists for Round 16.

If we have enough submissions, I will put decklists up next Monday (the 13th).

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

It's also funny how the banning of Fable's deck hit no relevant cards.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #346

Decklist numbers aren't at a high enough number yet, so I'm going to extend the submission date until Monday the 20th.

Send me some decklists, people!

17. - Top - End - #347

Decks for Round 16!

b_jonas: Ebon Stronghold, Dark Depths, Vampire Hexmage
    Fable Wright: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Ulamog the Infinite Gyre
    Ninjaman: Mountain, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit
    ben-zayb: Ulamog the Infinite Gyre, Fountain of Cho, Angel of Sanctions
    Tom the Mime: Kher Keep, Izzet Boilerworks, Jinxed Idol
    Dr. Gunsforhands: Ancient Tomb, Arcbound Slith, Arcbound Slith

This looks to me like Ninjaman takes 1st with WW against everyone, except WD against Dr. Gunsforhands and WL against ben-zayb.
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 2020-04-20 at 09:40 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Decks for Round 16!

b_jonas: Ebon Stronghold, Dark Depths, Vampire Hexmage
    Fable Wright: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Ulamog the Infinite Gyre
    Ninjaman: Mountain, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit
    ben-zayb: Ulamog the Infinite Gyre, Fountain of Cho, Angel of Sanctions
    Tom the Mime: Kher Keep, Izzet Boilerworks, Jinxed Idol
    Dr. Gunsforhands: Ancient Tomb, Arcbound Slith, Arcbound Slith

This looks to me like Ninjaman takes 1st with WW against everyone, except WD against Dr. Gunsforhands and WL against ben-zayb.
    He LLs against Ulamog/Channel, since Ulamog lets me shuffle all my discards into my deck, redraw them, and cast them before Nether Spirit kills. Following that, Nether Spirit gets destroyed by Annihilator each turn, preventing it from chumping or swinging back.

Likewise Ulamog/Fountain of Cho is able to redraw and survive long enough to exile Nether Spirit and swing for the win.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2020-04-20 at 09:44 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349

Oh yeah, Ulamog shuffles. I'm good at magic.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Fable Wright takes it: WD, WW, WW, WW, WW.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Six decks for the postponed call, that's great! Let me look at the details.

My deck is weak against disruption (I knew that, but the last normal round had unusually little disruption, so I risked it). I LL against Fable Wright because he casts Ulamog and immediately destroys one of my permanents, then his annihilator kicks in every following round, so I have no chance to go off. I LL against Ninjaman because Burning Inquiry works. I WW against ben-zayb, because his deck is too slow, I attack in my third turn and kill him and he can't do anything by then. I WW against Tom the Mime: if he gets first turn then he can at least do something, but the Idol doesn't deal damage fast enough and the Kobolds can't block a flier. I WW against Dr.Gunsforhands for the same reason: he can't block a flier and doesn't deal damage fast enough.

Fable WL against Ninjaman. If Ninjaman goes first, then Fable has to discard the Channel and he can't do anything. If Fable goes first, then he casts Ulamog, and every time Ulamog attacks, the annihilator kills the Nether Spirit, so Ulamog won't be blocked. Fable WW against ben-zayb: Ulamog wins faster than ben-zayb can cast the Angel. Fable WW against Tom the Mime: Ulamog's annihilator ability kills every kobold so Ulamog won't be blocked, and it kills faster than the Choker. Fable WW against Dr. Gunsforhands: same reason, Ulamog's annihilator destroys the Silths.

Ninjaman LL against ben-zayb: ben-zayb plays the perfect counter against Inquiry. Ninjaman can deal some damage with Nether Spirit, but after a while ben-zayb gains enough stored mana that he can cast the Angel to exile the Nether Spirit, or keep Ninjaman in check so he can't return Nether Spirit if he chooses to hold it in the battlefield, until eventually ben-zayb can cast Ulamog. Ninjaman WW against Tom the Mime: Tom would need both of his lands for his deck to work, but the Inquiry forces him to discard at least one.

I beleive that Ninjaman WD against Dr.Gunsforhands, but I'm not certain. Suppose Dr.Gunsforhands plays first. In their first turn, they play one Arcbound Silth. In Ninjaman's first turn, Dr.Gunsforhands discards the other Silth. In Dr.Gunsforhands's second turn, he attacks with the Silth, there's no blocker, so it gains one +1/+1 counter. In Ninjaman's second turn, his Nether Spirit enters play without haste. After that, if Dr.Gunsforhands attacks with the 2/2 Silth, Ninjaman blocks it, both creature dies Silth dies, but the Spirit comes back and so Ninjaman wins. If Dr.Gunsforhands doesn't attack, and Ninjaman attacks, then the Spirit dies, and in the next turn the Silth can attack unblocked and grows one bigger. So Ninjaman can only attack a few times or else he loses the damage race. Eventually neither player will dare to attack, so there's an infinite standoff draw.

ben-zayb WW against Tom the Mime. ben-zayb casts the Angel and exiles the Choker with it before the Choker kills him, then after that Tom can't deal damage, and either the Angel or Ulamog is enough to win against ben-zayb eventually. ben-zayb LL against Dr.Gunsforhands: ben-zayb can play the Angel in his seventh turn the earliest, whereas two Silths together will finish ben-zayb in Dr.Gunsforhands's sixth turn.

Tom the Mime ?? against Dr.Gunsforhands: I'm too lazy to compute this one right now.

bj FW N bz TM DG
    b_jonas: . WL LL WW WW WW 18 MaritLage
    Fable Wright: WL . WW WW WW WW 30 Channel Ulamog
    Ninjaman: WW LL . LL WW WD 16 BInquiry NetherSp
    ben-zayb: LL LL WW . WW LL 12 Angel Ulamog
    Tom the Mime: LL LL LL LL . LL 0 JinxIdol KherK
    Dr.Gunsforhands: LL LL DL WW WW . 13 ArcbouSilth

Update after trying to evaluate the results on my own:

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Ulamog lets me shuffle all my discards into my deck, redraw them, and cast them before Nether Spirit kills.
    Darn it, I made that mistake too. Ulamog automatically counters Burning Inquiry, so Fable WW against Ninjaman; and Ninjaman still LL against ben-zayb the same way as above but Ulamog lets him play his Fountain even if he goes second. I edited the table above.

I think Fable Wright takes it: WD, WW, WW, WW, WW.
    How do I draw the game against Fable Wright, or who draws the game?

Update: I WL against Fable Wright as Gauntlet points out, because I can create Marit Lage in my second turn before Fable can destroy a land, and attack with it in my third turn before Fable's annihilator can trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    It looks like the Slith deck beats the Jinxed Idol deck consistently.
    Added to the table.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-04-23 at 05:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    How do I draw the game against Fable Wright, or who draws the game?
    On the play, Vampire Hexmage removes the counters from Hickory Woodlot before it can cast Channel.

23. - Top - End - #353

On the play, Vampire Hexmage removes the counters from Hickory Woodlot before it can cast Channel.
    I think b_jonas vs Fable Wright is WL.

On the play, Fable makes turn 2 Ulamog and eats the Ebon Stronhold before it untaps, giving Ulamog the kill.

When b_jonas is on the play, they can play Hexmage on turn 2. Making Marit Lage in FW's end step is lethal, so FW has to cast Ulamog immediately. b_jonas can respond to Ulamog's cast trigger by making Marit Lage, and Ula can't block the flying 20/20.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    I think b_jonas vs Fable Wright is WL.

When b_jonas is on the play, they can play Hexmage on turn 2. Making Marit Lage in FW's end step is lethal, so FW has to cast Ulamog immediately. b_jonas can respond to Ulamog's cast trigger by making Marit Lage, and Ula can't block the flying 20/20.
    Ah, you may be right. Let me think.

Update: I don't think so. Ulamog will still destroy either Marit Lage or a land when it etb, there's no way to time around that.

Update: no wait. Ulamog's first ability says destroy, so it doesn't work on Marit Lage. Then Gauntlet is right, my deck works even better than I thought. Gauntlet: I think I don't even need to wait, I can just create Marit Lage in my second turn and attack with it my third turn. Then Fable can neither destroy a land with Ulamog's first ability, nor destroy Marit Lage before my attack in the third turn with the annihilator ability.

Fable Wright: I'm less surprised because Burning Inquiry went until game 22 of the original game, and we all knew about the card.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-04-20 at 05:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how long the Burning Inquiry deck has been going? I'm frankly amazed at how long "discard your entire hand turn 1" has been a submitted deck and hasn't crushed the meta.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

It looks like the Slith deck beats the Jinxed Idol deck consistently. There's no chance of a draw for these two, so it just turns into a race where DG attacks every turn and TtM has to balance deploying the idol and slowing down the beatdown.

In some cases, DG can sacrifice one slith to the idol after blockers and use the modular counters as a finishing move. Letting the slith through on one turn to hold up 2 blockers on another avoids that and buys TtM a turn. Still, the best I've come up with so far gets the Slith player down to 8 before dying on turn 8:

Spoiler: TtM goes first
    Show
    Turn 1:
    TtM: Kher Keep (20)
    DG: Ancient Tomb, Slith (18)

Turn 2:
    TtM: Boilerworks (20)
    DG: Attack, Slith 2 (16)
    (DG now has a 2/2 and a 1/1)

Turn 3:
    TtM: Keep, Kobold (19)
    DG: Swing for 3 (16)
    (TtM's deck can't block here if its win condition is to be deployed)
    (DG now has a 3/3 and a 2/2)

Turn 4:
    TtM: Jinxed Idol (16)
    DG: Swing for 5. The kobold blocks the 3/3 and is then sacked to the idol. (16)
    (DG now has 2 3/3s)

Turn 5:
    TtM: Kobold (x1) (14)
    DG: Take 2, Swing. Kobold blocks 1. (14)
    (1 4/4, 1 3/3)

Turn 6:
    TtM: Kobold (x1) (11)
    DG: Take 2, Swing. No blocks. (12)
    (1 5/5, 1 4/4)

Turn 7:
    Kobold (x2) (4)
    (10), swing, both blocked

Turn 8:
    Kobold (x1) (4)
    (8), swing, win
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-04-20 at 07:12 PM.
    Mina, Lynera, Ajax, Vena.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how long the Burning Inquiry deck has been going? I'm frankly amazed at how long "discard your entire hand turn 1" has been a submitted deck and hasn't crushed the meta.
    It was the same last time. Enough decks trade with it (at least) by being fast enough to play out or set up graveyard plays T1 that it does well consistently, but not enough to win.

This round probably wasn't not the best time to try unplayed ideas as the previously played ones (in this or the other thread) were played because they were good, if not quite good enough before.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-04-20 at 09:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    It was the same last time. Enough decks trade with it (at least) by being fast enough to play out or set up graveyard plays T1 that it does well consistently, but not enough to win.

This round probably wasn't not the best time to try unplayed ideas as the previously played ones (in this or the other thread) were played because they were good, if not quite good enough before.
    Attacking the meta from an unexpected direction is the only way to stay ahead of the curve. Every round is a good round to try unplayed ideas.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Attacking the meta from an unexpected direction is the only way to stay ahead of the curve. Every round is a good round to try unplayed ideas.
    There are four general ways to win.
    1) Nobody expects the <insert card here> - powerful action of a type not considered by the meta.
    2) My rock beats your paper - play a variant of an expected deck type that's modified to beat the options everyone else would use to counter it.
    3) Scissors deck with Paper option - play a high flexibility deck that uses very different to beat different opposing archetypes. This usually requires access to a fourth effect to pull off, or something like the classic manland+strip mine duo.
    4) Hope everyone plays scissors - play a known and powerful deck with relatively narrow counters, in a round where nobody happens to counter or overpower it.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Results of Return round 16. As always, this can change if you find an error in the judgements above

First: Fable Wright
    Second: b_jonas
    Third: Ninjaman
    Fourth: Dr.Gunsforhands
    Fifth: ben-zayb
    Powerless: Tom the Mime

Ban list for Return round 17.
    Spoiler: Ban list for Return round 17
    Show
    Land: Bayou; Blackcleave Cliffs; Blooming Marsh; Celestial Colonnade; City of Traitors; Dryad Arbor; Geier Reach Sanitarium; Ghost Quarter; Hall of Heliod's Generosity; Hickory Woodlot; Inkmoth Nexus; Karakas; Maze of Ith; Mishra's Factory; Mishra's Workshop; Shelldock Isle; Strip Mine; Taiga; Tropical Island; Wasteland.

Artifact/Colourless: Black Lotus; Blacker Lotus; Chronomaton; Dispatch Dispensary; Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; Karn, the Great Creator; Lion's Eye Diamond; Liquimetal Coating; Lodestone Golem; Lotus Petal; Lupine Prototype; Mana Crypt; Mirrored Lotus; Mox Emerald; Mox Pearl; Mox Sapphire; Natural Unity; Ornithopter; Sol Ring; The Rack; Time Vault; Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre; Voltaic Key; Weight Advantage.

White: Chancellor of the Annex; History of Benalia; Serra Ascendant; Thalia, Guardian of Thraben; The Cheese Stands Alone.

Blue: Jace, Wielder of Mysteries; Laboratory Maniac; Leyline of Anticipation; Mental Misstep; Piracy Charm; Thassa's Oracle.

Black: Blackmail; Cabal Therapy; Mind Swords; Spike, Tournament Grinder; Street Wraith.

Red: Raze; Wrench-Rigger.

Green: Channel; Collector Ouphe; Crashing Footfalls; Durkwood Baloth; Living Wish; Llanowar Mentor;Skyshroud Cutter; Young Wolf.

Gold: Meddling Mage; Research // Development.