Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1183 - Discussion Thread

I'm starting to think that what will happen is all of the various "sides" will end up at Kraagor's Gate at the same time (or nearly the same time).

And the last book of the OOTS series will be named "The Last Dungeon Crawl".
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    SRD list of spells with Ruby in the description:

Continual Flame (Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
    Analyze Dweomer (where a ruby is part of the focus rather than a component, this is a bard spell and also Sor/Wizard)
    Faerie Fire (Druid only)
    Simulacrum (Sor/Wizard only)
    Temporal Stasis (Sor/Wizard only)
    Forcecage (Sor/Wizard only)

Rubies (plural) gets no hits that are spells.
    You can add to that list, from various other books.

Antimagic Ray - 100gp worth
    Bladebane (makes weapon a Bane weapon to a selected creature type) - 500gp worth
    Bloodstar - (Conjuration[creation], useless to V) - 30gp ruby as focus
    Firespiders (Conjuration[summoning]) - summons 240 spider-like fire elementals - 500gp worth.
    Night's Mantle - sunlight shielding spell for vamps/etc - 500gp worth
    Ruby Ray of Reversal - springs traps, opens forcecages, etc - 500gp focus
    Soul's Treasure Lost - destroys most valuable (non-artifact) item in target's posession. - 500gp worth
    Suffer the Flesh - take damage to raise your caster level for 1 round. - 250gp worth
    Stone Walk (conjuration[teleportation]). - 2500gp worth

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lheticus View Post
    Oooooooookay there's a LOT to unpack here. The IFCC WANTS the OOTS world destroyed?
    I guess it opens up opportunities vis a vis the harvesting and selling of souls? Assuming that the lower planes survive, of course.
    Doubtless there we be exposition in due course.

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    I'm starting to think that what will happen is all of the various "sides" will end up at Kraagor's Gate at the same time (or nearly the same time).
    Well, not all of them. The Linear Guild were definitely one of the sides at the time the "nine sides" remark was made, but not any more. Hel's side is presumably also dropping out of the story now.

5. - Top - End - #215

Okay I have a wild throw away theory of my own.

The IFCC have only just learned of the million previous worlds and Hel's plan and its failure by listening in on V's conversations. They can see how it could further their plans but only if they can avoid having their minds wiped. So they have developed an artefact that will allow them to escape the mind wipe, by taking possession of a mortal's body (the "vessel") and placing the mortal on the outer planes. However this gives them a bonus that they can create a super being, who will "get his hands dirty". The "fireworks" is a euphemism for all the "The Exorcist" special effects we are going to be treated to.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2019-10-22 at 02:43 PM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

What if they lied about the soul binding thing being a once-a-millennia power, and they intend to bind themselves to the vessel in a way that has already been explained to the audience?
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkctgo View Post
    Can anyone estimate just how much GPs worth of Rubies V just got from Durkon's extended family?
    Zero GP. Vaarsuvius didn't pay for them. Value is solely dependent on what you pay. If you pay 25,000GP for a diamond the size of a pinhead, that is then a 25,000GP diamond for the purposes of spell casting. Rich lampooned this at the beginning of the last book.
    Doesn't that mean that these rubies won't work for any spell that requires that some value of rubies be expended? The spell would fizzle, or something?

EDIT: "Haley! Quickly! I must sell you these rubies for, say, 25,000 GP, on credit. And then you sell them back to me. Yes, you may make a profit on the transaction!"
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2019-10-22 at 02:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

By RAW? *shrugs, then nods* By RAI? No, it should work. But by RAG, it'll be whatever works for the story, so I doubt it'll come up.

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    EDIT: "Haley! Quickly! I must sell you these rubies for, say, 25,000 GP, on credit. And then you sell them back to me. Yes, you may make a profit on the transaction!"
    When I read the first strip about the value of rubies I thought that would be a great way to have a lot more valuable rubies or whatever you want, give/sell them to your party and sell them for all your money so they can just give it back to you later.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Well logically it could also be seen as a payment for the services to Dwarf people. So whatever she thinks her powers are worth.

Which means even an atom of the rubies might be worth enough GP to cast it.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

By RAW? *shrugs, then nods* By RAI? No, it should work. But by RAG, it'll be whatever works for the story, so I doubt it'll come up.
    It's a reason -- explicitly validated in the strip -- for a spell to fail to work at a crucial moment.

EDIT: And it explains that rather weird interaction in this page.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2019-10-22 at 03:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

by RAG
    Rules As Garbled?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

my random stab in the dark with who the vessal would be ian starshine, haley's dad. just because it would be an interesting plot twist for sabine to go and seduce him and and make him an unwilling participant in further driving the plot.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

14. - Top - End - #224

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by gerryq View Post
    If you send Sabine to get a vessel, it's a safe bet that the vessel is a person.
    Why? I can kind of see the “mixing business and pleasure” line implying it kind of, but I don’t really see anything confirming the vessel must be a person. Succubi can still fetch things (and a succubus ROGUE can fetch/steal even more kinds of things), and The Giant has an incentive to have her do it rather than some other random minion (informing us of her status).

That they’ve referred to an empty body as a vessel before is definitely points in favor of it being a person, but...

For one, referring to a person as a vessel for an artifact is...odd. I’d have expected “bearer” if they kept their mind and “host” if they didn’t. For “vessel” to make any sense the artifact needs to be in charge somehow, but then all the talk of “firing it up” seems weird—not the kind of language you typically use for sentient artifacts.

There’s the issue that none of the suggested people make much sense to me. If it isn’t somebody we’ve met, then there’s not much point to it being a person in the first place. If it is, then who? It has to be someone Sabine could return with to HELL (the Abyss?) by persuasion or by force. Her persuasion options are limited for anyone we know—perhaps she could trick Tarquin (and that explains the pleasure line), but his presence at the finale seems highly counter to the storyline with Ian and the Free City of Doom Captain, as well as Elan’s ending with him. She could certainly get Thog, but...narratively, why (and why is that a pleasure for her)? He already had his big showdown with Roy, and she wouldn’t enjoy suckering him as far as I know.

....ooh, wait, what about Laurin? She was the one who disintegrated Nale (Hence Sabine being upset with her), and was last seen blankly stunned by the Snarl (possibly explaining how Sabine could defeat her or fake her out, if that lasted for a while). She has a slight unresolved conflict with V (“You can shove your false respect”), appropriate for an IFCC interaction. That said, it still doesn’t feel quite right to me. She’s a relatively new addition, she didn’t really care when the Oots ran off. What real emotional impact could she have on the Oots at this point, reappearing as a vessel? She can verify that the Snarl is real and dangerous, but Thor kind of already did that.

Eh. I dunno. Maybe Sabine is just stealing an airship or something. I understand why it’s fun to speculate on the person angle though.
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2019-10-22 at 04:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rules As Garbled?
    I got myself thinking what the home sweet home of Qarr was RAG. Rule As Gamemastered? Rule As Got? Rule As Goth? Rule As Gothan? Rule As Goku? Rule As Godzilla?

I conclude it must something in the lines of Rule As Giant.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-10-22 at 04:24 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Rules As Garbled?
    Rules According to Garfield.

What Richard Garfield, creator of Magic the Gathering is doing ruling on D&D is left as an exercise for the reader.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Rules According to Garfield.

What Richard Garfield, creator of Magic the Gathering is doing ruling on D&D is left as an exercise for the reader.
    That Garfield? Oh, ok. I thought of another one, and that would explain the importance of Mr. Scruffy, even though I've yet to see Mount Lasagna appear in the strip.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Sure, it's even possible she'll get someone new entirely.
    One of them did went up face to face with Tiamat and got scorched for it.
    No, she called them and complained, and being a deity, her power was sufficient to burn one of them through the phone lines.

What if they lied about the soul binding thing being a once-a-millennia power, and they intend to bind themselves to the vessel in a way that has already been explained to the audience?
    They would have to expand and strengthen the bond though -- in Vaarsuvius' case, the host was in control of the souls and their capabilities, as long as they maintained concentration. The trio binding themselves to and dominating an unwilling host would take a greater degree of interference (but sure, since they're basically demigods, it seems to me they're capable of it).

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    my random stab in the dark with who the vessal would be ian starshine, haley's dad. just because it would be an interesting plot twist for sabine to go and seduce him and and make him an unwilling participant in further driving the plot.
    I doubt it, he's a little too paranoid for even a succubus to fool. That, and I seem to recall him saying that he tripped a trap some time ago that castrated him, so it doesn't seem he'd be interested in Sabine's hypothetical advances.
    Last edited by TheNecrocomicon; 2019-10-22 at 04:50 PM.
    .. / .--. .-. . .--. .- .-. . -.. / . -..- .--. .-.. --- ... .. ...- . / .-. ..- -. . ... / -... . ..-. --- .-. . / .-- .-. .. - .. -. --. / - .... .. ... / ... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. .

Spoiler: Translation from Morse Code
    Show
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

... roll a DEX save!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I thought of another one, and that would explain the importance of Mr. Scruffy, even though I've yet to see Mount Lasagna appear in the strip.
    I was thinking of Orange Beard the pirate captain and his first mate, Odie the Stupid.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    I doubt it, he's a little too paranoid for even a succubus to fool.
    Thinking of it, and in Shojo's remark about having taken Improved Paranoia, they could form a Paranoid Group if they ever met...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I was thinking of Orange Beard the pirate captain and his first mate, Odie the Stupid.
    Riding the seas in their boat, The Arbuckle. That's the one.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-10-22 at 04:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    There's plenty of choices for a vessel for Sabine: Gaanji, Enor, Ian, Geoff, Thog (if alive), Hinjo (isn't Belkar supposed to save him again? Or is that long over?), Shoulder Pad Guy, Jacinda, Minrah (who just ran off panel and just so happens to insist on going with the Order)... Someone should start a pool, if they haven't already.
    That bit with Belkar is a really good point, if he’s still due. I can’t think of a second time Belkar saved Hinjo (directly anyway). How/why else is he going to wind up at the North Pole in time for Belkar to do so before kicking the bucket? Am I missing something there?

Don’t really see why Sabine would enjoy fetching him though. He wasn’t even responsible for her imprisonment back at Azure City.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

That Garfield? Oh, ok. I thought of another one, and that would explain the importance of Mr. Scruffy, even though I've yet to see Mount Lasagna appear in the strip.
    The president? He died long before D&D was a thing.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The president? He died long before D&D was a thing.
    About thirty-two years or so before a certain science-fiction author invented tabletop gaming, I believe.
    Last edited by runeghost; 2019-10-22 at 05:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Rules As Garbled?
    I got myself thinking what the home sweet home of Qarr was RAG. Rule As Gamemastered? Rule As Got? Rule As Goth? Rule As Gothan? Rule As Goku? Rule As Godzilla?

I conclude it must something in the lines of Rule As Giant.
    Wow, it's been awhile. I think we used the acronym for Rules Accepted (by) Giant.

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    About thirty-two years or so before a certain science-fiction author invented tabletop gaming, I believe.
    What? I have no knowledge of anything related to tabletop gaming in 1913 (32 years after president Garfield's death, and neither does Google), and I can't find any founder of this genre who qualifies as a sci-fi author.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

That cut away's timing seems suspiciously ominous.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, it's been awhile. I think we used the acronym for Rules Accepted (by) Giant.
    I don't suppose there's a list of the acronyms used in these forums? I've had to do some searching and guessing from time to time.

28. - Top - End - #238

Zero GP. Vaarsuvius didn't pay for them. Value is solely dependent on what you pay. If you pay 25,000GP for a diamond the size of a pinhead, that is then a 25,000GP diamond for the purposes of spell casting. Rich lampooned this at the beginning of the last book.
    Shirra is recording a book value loss for them. Moreover, since her company doesn't mine rubies, presumably she paid (or traded) for them.

Funnily enough, her giving them to V for free sidesteps the issue. The value is what *she* records (or paid) for them. If, OTOH, she traded them to V for "mates' rates", THAT would be the value and they'd be useless

29. - Top - End - #239
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I don't suppose there's a list of the acronyms used in these forums? I've had to do some searching and guessing from time to time.
    The official-y thread is rather outdated, but should be mostly adequate around here since the comic is (most strongly resembling) D&D 3.5 . It is, however, missing RAI (Rules As Intended, ostensibly how the designers intended the rules to be interrupted; nearly always used in contrast to RAW (Rules As Written, what a strict/literal reading of rule text would mean)).

And I don't recall seeing "RAG" before, and thought it was supposed to be figured out from the context....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

30. - Top - End - #240

RAG = WOG, from how I'd understand it.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.