Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A new radio ad is making me mad

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Well if you aren't in the vegetable business it doens't make sense to advertise them... I bet if you look hard the ultimate backers of that ad they either make the "essential oils" or it somehow feature in their products, unlike say vegetables.
    If you look hard? It's an oil commercial. (I forgot which oil, something like rapeseed probably.)

My point is not that they're advertizing oil, my point is that they're presenting themselves as people who can tell you what's good for you yet laugh at the idea of eating any plant parts other than the oils. That's like a commercial that in all earnest says "Hygeine is important, but don't wash with water and soap. Wear our gloves!" or "Cars need go fast parts, but not anything made of metal (like say an engine), only the best go fast parts, nitrous oxide!" You can't claim to know anything about health food while ridiculing the idea of eating vegetables. "We don't know the first thing about food, but somehow we know our product is good for you! Trust us!"
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    If you look hard? It's an oil commercial. (I forgot which oil, something like rapeseed probably.)

My point is not that they're advertizing oil, my point is that they're presenting themselves as people who can tell you what's good for you yet laugh at the idea of eating any plant parts other than the oils. That's like a commercial that in all earnest says "Hygeine is important, but don't wash with water and soap. Wear our gloves!" or "Cars need go fast parts, but not anything made of metal (like say an engine), only the best go fast parts, nitrous oxide!" You can't claim to know anything about health food while ridiculing the idea of eating vegetables. "We don't know the first thing about food, but somehow we know our product is good for you! Trust us!"
    You just described like all commercials ever. Trying to get you to not pick other possible options is quite high on the list of reasons ads exist.

Currently the milk producers and not-milk producers are engaging in a dirty advertising war about milk e.g. whose main goal is to discredit the other product. It's reaching juvenile lows I've only seen in politics before.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-10-29 at 04:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    The radio ads that annoy me are ones for companies that settle your tax debts. They have people who say something like "I owed $20,000 in taxes and [company] helped me settle for pennies on the dollar."

I'm like, 'what were you doing to get to that point?' Don't answer that, we know ;)
    Pennies on the dollar is itself one of those "weasel word" phrases that pisses me off. It's a term without an exact definition which means that advertisers can use it freely whether there's any truth to it or not. If you owe $10,000 and manage to reduce that amount to $9,900, that is still "pennies on the dollar". 99 of them, to be exact.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

The radio ads that annoy me are ones for companies that settle your tax debts. They have people who say something like "I owed $20,000 in taxes and [company] helped me settle for pennies on the dollar."

I'm like, 'what were you doing to get to that point?' Don't answer that, we know ;)
    Actually, for the most part they're people who did their own taxes for some years and then got audited. Taxes are complicated, and not for amateurs.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Actually, for the most part they're people who did their own taxes for some years and then got audited. Taxes are complicated, and not for amateurs.
    Taxes are complicated if you have a complicated situation. For a large amount of people, taxes are pretty easy.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.
    This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

There was one ad that made me SO mad that I tried writing to my congressman about!

I pulled up to a 4 way stop sign intersection. I had the radio on but was tuning it out as I was looking every direction before turning left, seeing that there was no one else at the intersection. Halfway through my left turn, the radio volume suddenly turned up in volume for the sound of "HONK HONK!" It was a car commercial and they recorded the honking of a car at extra loud sound before going back to the normal volume the other people were talking in. Well, that sudden honking caused me to panic, thinking for a moment there was another car I didn't see coming through the intersection! I instinctively swerved and nearly ran into a telephone pole as I was stopped in a weird angle of a 4 way intersection!

YES! THAT DAMN CAR COMMERCIAL NEARLY CAUSED ME TO GET INTO AN ACCIDENT!!!

From that moment on I decided that it should be against the law for any car horn or emergency siren sounds to be allowed to play over ANY radio station!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    There was one ad that made me SO mad that I tried writing to my congressman about!

I pulled up to a 4 way stop sign intersection. I had the radio on but was tuning it out as I was looking every direction before turning left, seeing that there was no one else at the intersection. Halfway through my left turn, the radio volume suddenly turned up in volume for the sound of "HONK HONK!" It was a car commercial and they recorded the honking of a car at extra loud sound before going back to the normal volume the other people were talking in. Well, that sudden honking caused me to panic, thinking for a moment there was another car I didn't see coming through the intersection! I instinctively swerved and nearly ran into a telephone pole as I was stopped in a weird angle of a 4 way intersection!

From that moment on I decided that it should be against the law for any car horn or emergency siren sounds to be allowed to play over ANY radio station!
    So ever since Seinfeld went off the air you've had a lot of free time, eh Mr. David?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-29 at 11:52 AM.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Taxes are complicated if you have a complicated situation. For a large amount of people, taxes are pretty easy.
    Especially those that live outside the USA. We have a truly Byzantine tax code, and also make our citizens figure their own taxes. TurboTax and H&R Block (professional tax accounting firms) like it that way.

Do those tax adds mention anything about declaring bankruptcy being part of the scheme?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-10-29 at 12:27 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Especially those that live outside the USA. We have a truly Byzantine tax code, and also make our citizens figure their own taxes.
    But not really*? The IRS already knows almost all the information right off the bat, the only thing most people need to do is tell them what you plan to deduct.

I'm not saying the big firms like Intuit aren't pulling any shady things, but you'd be surprised how many people can just do their taxes for free pretty quickly through the IRS website. And, i'm fairly certain, so would a lot of the people who would be able to take advantage of that.

*Imean, yes, but it's nowhere near as bad as that makes it sound.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-29 at 12:42 PM.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

...but you'd be surprised how many people can just do their taxes for free pretty quickly through the IRS website. ...
    Except you can't, because the IRS is specifically by act of Congress barred from offering a tax-prep solution. What you can do is either download fillable copies of the tax forms from them - this is still doing your taxes yourself, just in a more convenient form than paper ones - or accessing a number of other vendors that have agreed to offer free* tax preparation services.

*terms and conditions may apply, the most common of which are being restricted to certain levels of income, not claiming certain fairly common kinds of deductions and credits, and being required to pay for state-level returns. And even if you do qualify for actual free prep and filing Intuit/Turbo-Tax in particular goes to great lengths to obscure their actually-free offering and try to route you into using a paid option. Plus they're allowed to try to sell you ancillary services and products in the course of tax prep, like tax-anticipation loans, 'audit security', and various other questionably-useful financial products.

(That said for the vast majority of US taxpayers, the only real question is 'Is there any chance that itemized deductions will be worth more than just taking the Standard Deduction?' Answer is no > Take Standard Deduction, ignore 90% of what makes taxes complicated. Most of Intuit/H&R Block/other tax-prep vendor's advertising goes into obfuscating this fact and trying to convince people that there are Secret Tricks that your average person can't possibly know.. when most of the time that will consist of 'we found this $200 deduction you didn't know you qualified for! You only need to come up with $2,000 more to make that be better than just taking the Standard! So we recommend taking Standard. That'll be $80 please.)
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2019-10-29 at 01:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

So ever since Seinfeld went off the air you've had a lot of free time, eh Mr. David?
    I don't understand what you're saying.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Except you can't, because the IRS is specifically by act of Congress barred from offering a tax-prep solution. What you can do is either download fillable copies of the tax forms from them - this is still doing your taxes yourself, just in a more convenient form than paper ones - or accessing a number of other vendors that have agreed to offer free* tax preparation services.

*terms and conditions may apply, the most common of which are being restricted to certain levels of income, not claiming certain fairly common kinds of deductions and credits, and being required to pay for state-level returns. And even if you do qualify for actual free prep and filing Intuit/Turbo-Tax in particular goes to great lengths to obscure their actually-free offering and try to route you into using a paid option. Plus they're allowed to try to sell you ancillary services and products in the course of tax prep, like tax-anticipation loans, 'audit security', and various other questionably-useful financial products.

(That said for the vast majority of US taxpayers, the only real question is 'Is there any chance that itemized deductions will be worth more than just taking the Standard Deduction?' Answer is no > Take Standard Deduction, ignore 90% of what makes taxes complicated. Most of Intuit/H&R Block/other tax-prep vendor's advertising goes into obfuscating this fact and trying to convince people that there are Secret Tricks that your average person can't possibly know.. when most of the time that will consist of 'we found this $200 deduction you didn't know you qualified for! You only need to come up with $2,000 more to make that be better than just taking the Standard! So we recommend taking Standard. That'll be $80 please.)
    I'm not going to go any further into it, but suffice it to say, I think we can at least agree on "man, screw Intuit et al."
    I don't understand what you're saying.
    You pretty much described the plot to an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I was joking that you outed yourself as Larry David, creator and star of CYE and also creator of Seinfeld, now commenting on a D&D forum. Because I'm easily amused.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-29 at 02:10 PM.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Just returned from a road trip, and there's an ad on Pandora that really ticked me off. I'm not even sure what it was advertising (possibly Allstate insurance), but the obnoxious bit is that it includes a GPS voice giving directions. On an app that very well might also be used on a device that is simultaneously being used for GPS navigation.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

I absolutely hate it when I am driving and a siren sound is played over the radio. Its almost enough to question my devotion to limitless freedom of expression...
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a reason I'm generally listening to music off my iPod instead of radio, and this thread is full of supporting evidence.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    3: Its October in Colorado, its snowing, it was 20 degrees this morning, why are you still playing this add?
    Because it's October in Colorado. Sure, it's a snowy hellscape at 12 degrees with a winter weather warning right now, but in two days it might be in the 70s again.

Granted, I keep my heat at 51 and don't use cooling technology beyond shade, so I'm more sympathetic here.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    I absolutely hate it when I am driving and a siren sound is played over the radio. Its almost enough to question my devotion to limitless freedom of expression...
    Ugh, I hate that too. Radio commercials should not put sirens and car horns in their commercials.

Speaking of car commercials, I get annoyed when after the commercial there's a guy speaking at like, 3x speed telling you the fine print and it's longer than the commercial itself. :p
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

You pretty much described the plot to an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I was joking that you outed yourself as Larry David, creator and star of CYE and also creator of Seinfeld, now commenting on a D&D forum. Because I'm easily amused.
    Ah. I never watched Seinfeld, so I didn't understand what you were saying.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

For the most part, it's commercials in general that I find annoying. As a result, I don't have broadcast TV anymore, and I have every adblocker installed that I can (with Giant in the Playground being the ONLY site I whitelist). If I'm watching Youtube on my phone (where I don't have a video adblocker or know if such a thing exists), I will simply mute my phone and look away when an ad comes on.

But as far as specific commercials that annoy me, the worst in the last few years has got to be the one for those Bai drinks that used the godawful Nsync song for their advertisements. That poor excuse for music was an inescapable nightmare in high school, and it has not improved with the passage of time. Being forced to hear it again whenever I was in the same room as a TV with that commercial has ensured that I will never so much as try their product for as long as I live, even if offered for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if it's really maddening, but it's mildly annoyed me. There's a radio ad for some banking service featuring a baker who since using their service no longer has to sift through her finances and now can sift flour for her "heavenly butter tarts"

Butter tarts go in a pie shell. I know of no pie recipe that calls for sifting the flour for such a thing. Sifting is for light and airy things. but pie dough? you're cutting that flour into butter and making a crumb before rolling it all out. There's no way you'd be crazy enough to add the extra step of sifting to that. It'd be pointless. As for the filling, it's kind of like a pecan pie, without the pecans and sometimes with raisins or currants, so thick and syrupy, again not light and airy.

It annoys me, they could have picked like Angel Food cake or something, but they stick to the Butter Tarts because it's a 'local' Canadian thing. Might as well have said Nanaimo Bars, for as much sense it makes.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Spamalot in the Playground

Here is one from just this morning that really annoys me:

"This product could be killing your pets! Find out what it is tonight at 9, only on channel news."

Every. Time.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here is one from just this morning that really annoys me:

"This product could be killing your pets! Find out what it is tonight at 9, only on channel news."

Every. Time.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-05 at 01:06 PM.