Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [PBtA] Apunkalypse: The Awakening

The world watches with tired eyes as the mandatory Endura Corporation Morale Concert goes into its third act, another group of clean young men dressed very nicely, strumming away at a song that's been pumped through everybody's ears over and over for weeks and weeks. The same four chords fall on the same four beats, the same four haircuts with a jacket and tie instead of a personality. When they get to the fifteenth chorus, however, the stage goes dark.

All over the world, people mindlessly fumble with their remote controls to try to watch on another channel, when a voice pierces through the silence.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I am here to educate you."

A bass starts strumming a G, its rhythmic thumping cutting through the air like helicopter blades.

"For too long, you've all been told to think the same thoughts, to wear the same clothes, to do the same goddamn thing day in and day out."

An 808 pounds along with the bass, each granting the other an intense power.

"My name is Astaroth"

the voice pauses as a guitar strikes a G power chord:

"Lucifious"

Another chord, spanning through the octaves, as the bass moves through the scales with the fury of a thousand suns:

"DEATH-HAND."

On stage, the band appears, the greatest punk rockers this world has ever known, led by none other than Astaroth Lucifious Death-Hand, the God of Guitar, the Buddha of Bass, the Dharmic Doctor of Drums. Lady Fyre leads the band into a firey melody, flames of bright blue flowing off the neck of her bass and onto the stage, forming a wall of fire as the song kicks into gear. From his board of assorted percussive toys, Doctor Storm moves with the speed of lightning, thunder providing the beat, electricity flowing through him and around the stage. All those watching at home, all those who have heard Death-Hand's pirate radio, all those who have been waiting for the call, reach for their instruments. They know that the day has come.

It's Apunkalypse.

Or, it should be. Screens all across the world go black, speakers cut out. The silence is deafening. It's broken with a single beep, and a message, spoken by a metallic voice. "PLEASE DISREGARD THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE. THE PERPETRATORS BEHIND THIS ATTACK HAVE BEEN APPREHENDED. RETURN TO YOUR BUNKS IMMEDIATELY. THE WORK DAY BEGINS IN 9 HOURS."

Is this the end of creativity? The end of humanity? Will you take up your ax, your pick? Will you fight for all things metal, punk, and rock?

This game will be in an adapted version of the Powered by the Apocalypse system, which is a very simple system where players play as different types of characters that have their own moves they can perform and stats they can roll against. It's mostly about narrative role-playing instead of being about game role-playing.

Your stats are Charm, Cool, Sharp, Tough, and Weird, and determine how successful you'll be when you attempt an action. Here's some sample playbooks from Monster of the Week that you can browse through, and we can flavor it up so that it's more directly related to music. Alternatively, we can work together to make your own custom playbook for your character. Powered by the Apocalypse is a very simple system, so if you've never played, don't be discouraged. You also don't need any knowledge of music or music culture, so feel free to join.

If you have a concept for your character, post it below. If you're interested but aren't sure where to start, post below and we can work out a character for you.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

System: Powered by the Apocalypse
    Player Count: 3-5
    Style of Play: Post by post on forum

Character Creation:Pick an existing playbook to base your character off of, make your own (to be modified), or post your basic character concept.

Your character should have:
    A Name (Stage or proper)
    A favoured instrument/tool/piece of equipment
    Anything you want for your Look
    Anything you want for your History (at least a sentence)
    A closely held belief about the universe
    A greatest fear
    Last edited by Maloney; 2019-10-21 at 09:25 PM.
    The Princess Game: OOC IC My Sheet Additional
    Voyage Home: IC
    Esra of the Wilds: IC Journal
    My Homebrew RPG: Superdeath Highway (Currently Recruiting!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [PBtA] Apunkalypse: The Awakening

Posting interest in this! I have an idea -a descendant of a great classic musician who is sure it's a great idea to incorporate classical music into punk/rock, but I still need to figure out the details

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Posting interest in this! I have an idea -a descendant of a great classic musician who is sure it's a great idea to incorporate classical music into punk/rock, but I still need to figure out the details
    Interesting concept! Any ideas for what playbook you might want to base it on?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Alright, I've never played a PbtA game before, but I'll give this a shot.

----------

"Punk isn't dead. It just goes to bed at a more reasonable hour."

The hair isn't shaved anymore. It's mostly just gone.

The LL Bean work shirts cover the tattoos. Celtic knot-work, from back when tattoos MEANT something.

Yeah, I went to the CBGB once. Not long after they stopped pretending it stood for "Country, Bluegrass and Blues." Saw two bands that no one remembers and they sucked but it was awesome. Took a **** in that graffiti hell-hole they called a mensroom and I still have the underwear to prove it.

Three months later Shasta missed her period. Everything changed. She drives a volvo now. Head of the PTA. Still looks hot in yoga pants. The kid grew up. She moved to the Pacific Northwest. She calls about once a month. Came out of the closet to me through a text and told me to piss off if I didn't like it. Gawd-damn I love that girl.

Is there something coming down? My inner punk is telling me There Is! It's Big! Get Ready! but can I trust it? What does Punk mean when you're working for the state government and you're staring at fifty and daring it to blink? Is this for real or is it ... you know ... that Faith No More song?

Does it matter? Being a punk is not about whether you win or lose. It's not even about the fight. It means knowing that **** is ****ed up and bull****! and being very, very angry about it.

------------

Name: Jordan Ernest
    Tool: A Gibson SG, just like Cheetah Chrome used to play
    Look: Sinewy middle-aged man, dresses like an office drone
    History: Aging punk who had to leave it all behind. Wants to fight the powers-that-be, but those powers sign his paycheck.
    Philosophy: Nothing good ever comes easy. Fighting never solved anything, but sometimes it's all you can do.
    Fear: Afraid of losing his family and the life he's built, but also afraid of being smothered by it.

------------

Came up with this idea after looking at Greg Graffin, mostly bald and wearing polo shirts. Yeah.

I'm thinking "The Mundane" playbook. Short on Weird, probably long on Sharp and maybe Charm. Someone's going to have to walk me through the system though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Quote
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xacha View Post
    Alright, I've never played a PbtA game before, but I'll give this a shot.

----------

"Punk isn't dead. It just goes to bed at a more reasonable hour."

The hair isn't shaved anymore. It's mostly just gone.

The LL Bean work shirts cover the tattoos. Celtic knot-work, from back when tattoos MEANT something.

Yeah, I went to the CBGB once. Not long after they stopped pretending it stood for "Country, Bluegrass and Blues." Saw two bands that no one remembers and they sucked but it was awesome. Took a **** in that graffiti hell-hole they called a mensroom and I still have the underwear to prove it.

Three months later Shasta missed her period. Everything changed. She drives a volvo now. Head of the PTA. Still looks hot in yoga pants. The kid grew up. She moved to the Pacific Northwest. She calls about once a month. Came out of the closet to me through a text and told me to piss off if I didn't like it. Gawd-damn I love that girl.

Is there something coming down? My inner punk is telling me There Is! It's Big! Get Ready! but can I trust it? What does Punk mean when you're working for the state government and you're staring at fifty and daring it to blink? Is this for real or is it ... you know ... that Faith No More song?

Does it matter? Being a punk is not about whether you win or lose. It's not even about the fight. It means knowing that **** is ****ed up and bull****! and being very, very angry about it.

------------

Tool: A Gibson SG, just like Cheetah Chrome used to play
    Look: Sinewy middle-aged man, dresses like an office drone
    History: Aging punk who had to leave it all behind. Wants to fight the powers-that-be, but those powers sign his paycheck.
    Philosophy: Nothing good ever comes easy. Fighting never solved anything, but sometimes it's all you can do.
    Fear: Afraid of losing his family and the life he's built, but also afraid of being smothered by it.

------------

Came up with this idea after looking at Greg Graffin, mostly bald and wearing polo shirts. Yeah.

I'm thinking "The Mundane" playbook. Short on Weird, probably long on Sharp and maybe Charm. Someone's going to have to walk me through the system though.

Sorry for the late reply. As for character setup, just go as you normally would in setting up your mundane, except for your weapons, which will be replaced by your Tool.

All weapons will be replaced with Tools in this game, and each instrument has its own actions in combat which you can learn that can be used in place of (but does not replace) Kick Some Ass. You start out with one, and their harm is based largely on the weapons in your playbook.

Spoiler: Guitar stats
    Show

Firstly, choose which action it can do:

Charm: Take the Stage (will provide a distraction for your bandmates with a flashy riff, causing all enemies to focus on you and giving your bandmates a +1 bonus to all actions, does 2 Harm)
    Sharp: Blow it Up (will confuse enemies with a wild improvization, doing 2 Harm and reducing enemy rolls by 1)
    Cool: Bring the Thunder (can only be used during combat, not at the beginning, but gives +2 Harm to all of your teammates actions as well as a +1 bonus to actions, doing 0 Harm. It ends as soon as you take Harm.)
    Weird: Magic Effect (if you take this, you have to take the Enchanted trait. This allows you to perform your own signature magical move, producing a directed beam of energy at a single opponent, doing 3 Harm [4 with the Enchanted trait])

Secondly, take up to two traits:

Enchanted (adds the magic tag, +1 Harm. Your tool is imbued with special otherworldly magic, making it impervious to non-magical means, but vulnerable to other magical tools.)
    Portable (adds the innocuous tag, -1 Harm. Your tool is easy to hide and requires no amp. However, the wireless amp you use is quiet and cannot be Over-Amplified.)
    Over-Amplified (adds the heavy, loud, and messy tags, +3 Harm. You carry around with you not only your tool, but the very best amp, whose dials reach 12. However, it's quite heavy, and takes some time to set up.)
    One-of-a-Kind (+1 Harm. Your tool is specially made, and has a history and life of its own. Many would kill to get their hands on it, but just as many fear its power. You can roll Charm instead of Tough for Kick Some Ass rolls, but if it breaks, it will be incredibly hard to repair.)

Finally, Choose a Style:

High Tech (adds the electronic tag, +2 Harm, but is prone to breaking down)
    Old Fashioned (adds the analog tag, will never break down, and gives +1 Armor)
    Last edited by Maloney; 2019-10-29 at 02:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Right, let's give this a nudge.

Charm: 2
    Cool: 0
    Sharp: 1
    Tough: 1
    Weird: -1

Moves:
    Oops! - stumbles on something important
    What could go wrong? - bonus when charging in
    Donít Worry, Iíll Check It Out. - exp when going alone

Gear:
    Motorcycle (Mid-life cris - Shut it.)

Look: Serious faced man in work clothes

Tool:

Gibson SG - this dark blue guitar is a veteran of the punk/Oi split of the late seventies. It has a dent in the lower body. Next to that, the words "THIS MACHINE CLUBS FASCISTS" have been scratched. Also: sparkly unicorn stickers, because his daughter went through that phase.

Blow it Up!
    One-of-a-Kind
    Old Fashioned