New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fate/Grand Order IV - Are you my Master? [Rerun - Lite]

It's also worth noting that JP has more or less abandoned the whole "this Servant's identity is a secret until you reach plot point" gimmick. I mean, it was definitely a neat little thing, at least if you rolled on new Servants on their first release, I guess the devs realized that they get more hype over teasing and then revealing a Servant's identity than if they just introduced Servants who refused to name themselves at first.

Also, yeah, they totally spoil Servant identities for NA. Not that I'm mad about that, mind you. Anticipating Assassin of Shinjuku was kind of neat, and I actually gave Assassin of Nightless City more attention than she deserved because I'm familiar with the actual person's history.

Point is, yeah, in most cases, I wouldn't say that revealing Servants necessarily counts as a spoiler. Revealing certain details about Servants, now, that may be different.

Might I suggest, as a rule of courtesy, that if it's new in JP we put it in spoiler tags? I mean, stuff that's a year old in JP is a year out for us, so there's a good chance most of us have caught a whiff, and it wouldn't hurt to plan for it, but if it just came out in JP, maybe we should tag it?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Might I suggest, as a rule of courtesy, that if it's new in JP we put it in spoiler tags? I mean, stuff that's a year old in JP is a year out for us, so there's a good chance most of us have caught a whiff, and it wouldn't hurt to plan for it, but if it just came out in JP, maybe we should tag it?
    This sounds good to me. Although that's easy for me to say since I don't follow what's happening in JP and therefore am not going to be the one who has to be putting stuff in spoiler tags.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

It's definitely not the identity of the servant that's a problem here.

It's the nature of certain things related to that servant that are.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Chaldea boys CE pick is upon us. Which CE did you guys pick? I haven't decided yet, but I cost is a factor now, I'll probably go for one of the 4 star CE

5. - Top - End - #365
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Chaldea boys CE pick is upon us. Which CE did you guys pick? I haven't decided yet, but I cost is a factor now, I'll probably go for one of the 4 star CE
    Star of camelot works disgustingly well with fragment 2030

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Keep in mind that these CEs also drop from the gacha. So if you plan on rolling for Arthur, you might get them anyhow. That might determine which you choose.

It's why I'm holding off on picking until towards the end. Just in case there's one I'm missing, or I end up close to MLB.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

I'm finally starting through Salem, but...

Spoiler
    Show
    The Carter character, that's H.P. Lovecraft right? Like, not literally him - I should specify since this is Fate - but a direct reference to him? His portrait art resembles him. Big jaw, prominent straight nose, very short brown hair.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I'm finally starting through Salem, but...

Spoiler
    Show
    The Carter character, that's H.P. Lovecraft right? Like, not literally him - I should specify since this is Fate - but a direct reference to him? His portrait art resembles him. Big jaw, prominent straight nose, very short brown hair.
    Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    Its not H. P. Lovecraft. Randolph Carter is a character from the Dream Cycle series, yes written by H. P. Lovecraft, but its not him. Sort of. Author Insert and all that. But its not H. P. Lovecraft.

Spoiler: More Spoilers maybe for Summer's Event
    Show
    Randolph Carter is most famous for talking to Nyarlathotep, one of the outer gods. Nyarlathotep gets a spotlight in Summer by fusing with one of the characters there, our trusty kouhai BB-chan. I doubt Randolph will make another appearance there, but who knows?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    Its not H. P. Lovecraft. Randolph Carter is a character from the Dream Cycle series, yes written by H. P. Lovecraft, but its not him. Sort of. Author Insert and all that. But its not H. P. Lovecraft.

Spoiler: More Spoilers maybe for Summer's Event
    Show
    Randolph Carter is most famous for talking to Nyarlathotep, one of the outer gods. Nyarlathotep gets a spotlight in Summer by fusing with one of the characters there, our trusty kouhai BB-chan. I doubt Randolph will make another appearance there, but who knows?
    Spoiler
    Show
    As I said, I didn't think it's literally supposed to be him, but that the likeness is an intended reference.

I also vaguely remember Carter being the name of one of his protagonists, but I couldn't place from where since they all kind of blur together in my memory. I also didn't really want to Google him - even to look up his first name in the game - as I'm still pretty early into it and if he turns out to be the Demon Pillar or something I don't really want to know.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    I haven't picked yet. Not sure what I'll do.

Keep in mind that these CEs also drop from the gacha. So if you plan on rolling for Arthur, you might get them anyhow. That might determine which you choose.

It's why I'm holding off on picking until towards the end. Just in case there's one I'm missing, or I end up close to MLB.
    I haven't dropped a single summon on this banner yet, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted. I know Arthur is not regarded as one of the better sabers, but he's the only AoE saber I've got, and he and Fran have pretty much covered my needs thus far. I wouldn't mind having him at NP2, but I also know there's a lot of good stuff coming up that I should save for as well.

I'm at ~20 tickets and 80 SQ right now, which I know isn't enough to guarantee anything. But I'm sure even if I didn't get Arthur I'd get some of these CE's. Are any of them worth the opportunity cost?
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

11. - Top - End - #371

NecromancerGirl

I say wait for a day with 2 characters you would like then drop a few tickets. Not all of them, but between 5 and 10. If you get lucky, great, but if you don't, then you aren't out too much.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

While some of them are definitely okay, I don't think any of the CEs worth going hard for in themselves -- not with the low chance of MLBing anything but the 3-stars.

Though, there is a Waver banner coming tomorrow and if you don't have a him already it might behoove you to try.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

I say wait for a day with 2 characters you would like then drop a few tickets. Not all of them, but between 5 and 10. If you get lucky, great, but if you don't, then you aren't out too much.
    As it happens, that turned out to be tonight. When Karna replaced Arjuna on the rate up banner, I decided "hey, now there's two of them I could potentially get to NP2, that's worth a few tickets." I limited myself to spending only 10, and got another Arthur on my 10th and final ticket. In the process I also picked up NP2 Bedivere and 4 copies of a new 3* CE, so all in all not too bad.

Though, there is a Waver banner coming tomorrow and if you don't have a him already it might behoove you to try.
    I have Merlin, but not Waver. How bad do I need him?
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2020-03-08 at 11:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Need is relative, of course, but Waver is basically a bottled steroid for any and all farming-related activities. Merlin's the best for challenging quests in the game as a whole, but Waver can make the actual experience of playing FGO on a day-to-day basis and grinding through events much, much less tedious and is great within any team composition.

I summoned him at the tail end of Nerofest last November and I've already nearly got him to max bond.

...But since you already rolled, well, he'll always be there in the general pool and there will be more Waver banners to come later this year so the need isn't too pressing.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still hurting on SQ from Eresh and Onitower, so I'm saving up for summer.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Need is relative, of course, but Waver is basically a bottled steroid for any and all farming-related activities. Merlin's the best for challenging quests in the game as a whole, but Waver can make the actual experience of playing FGO on a day-to-day basis and grinding through events much, much less tedious and is great within any team composition.

I summoned him at the tail end of Nerofest last November and I've already nearly got him to max bond.

...But since you already rolled, well, he'll always be there in the general pool and there will be more Waver banners to come later this year so the need isn't too pressing.
    Pretty much all this.

The fact is, there are certain Servants who are considered boosters to each card type - Merlin for Buster, Skadi for Quick, and Casko for Arts. Waver is more general than the rest, but that also means he fits into more team compositions. He's also ideal as a pocket NP charge, because of his active skills.

But as mentioned, he's in the general pool. He's never not available, and rate-up is a lie. So, yeah. "Need" is relative. Suffice to say, he's great to have and you will probably put him in every team composition if you get him, but if you don't, you're probably fine.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Pretty much all this.

The fact is, there are certain Servants who are considered boosters to each card type - Merlin for Buster, Skadi for Quick, and Casko for Arts. Waver is more general than the rest, but that also means he fits into more team compositions. He's also ideal as a pocket NP charge, because of his active skills.

But as mentioned, he's in the general pool. He's never not available, and rate-up is a lie. So, yeah. "Need" is relative. Suffice to say, he's great to have and you will probably put him in every team composition if you get him, but if you don't, you're probably fine.
    Besides, it's not like you would play more than one Waver in battle, and he's pretty easy to find in support, so you're never going to need him since you can find him any time in support.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2020-03-09 at 09:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Besides, it's not like you would play more than one Waver in battle, and he's pretty easy to find in support, so you're never going to need him since you can find him any time in support.
    This is also very true. Your friends list should certainly have multiple Wavers in it. And more than a few Merlins. And while double-Merlin is definitely a strategy, double-Waver definitely is not.

So, yeah. Helpful, not a necessity.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

This is also very true. Your friends list should certainly have multiple Wavers in it. And more than a few Merlins. And while double-Merlin is definitely a strategy, double-Waver definitely is not.

So, yeah. Helpful, not a necessity.
    Despite being a gacha game, DW has done a damned fine job of keeping things relatively balanced. Some madlad in Japan has gone through the whole game using only Bronze servants, I hear.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Despite being a gacha game, DW has done a damned fine job of keeping things relatively balanced. Some madlad in Japan has gone through the whole game using only Bronze servants, I hear.
    Indeed. FGO's gacha may have many flaws, but the usefulness of low star count servants isn't it. It's very rare to find a servant that is 100% useless. You can pretty much count them on the fingers of one hand, and only one of them is terrible by design.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2020-03-09 at 01:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Though, having Waver - or Merlin, Tamamo, or Skadi for that matter - means you can use your support slot for that level 100 10/10/10 Gilgamesh or whatever.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed. FGO's gacha may have many flaws, but the usefulness of low star count servants isn't it. It's very rare to find a servant that is 100% useless. You can pretty much count them on the fingers of one hand, and only one of them is terrible by design.
    Wait, I need the backstory in this. Which Servant was terrible by design?
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Wait, I need the backstory in this. Which Servant was terrible by design?
    Angra Mainyu, the 0* servant that can only be gotten from the FP gacha.

24. - Top - End - #384

NecromancerGirl

Angra Mainyu, the 0* servant that can only be gotten from the FP gacha.
    And even he has a (minor) niche being an anti Beast servant if you grind his bond. Good for maybe 5 fights in the whole game so far? And even then, his stats are too low to matter to most of them. In numbers, he more works as a 2 star, so the 0 star is mostly just for show.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

He's pretty scary to fight against as a boss encounter though, at least without knowing he's coming. As unlike Pokemon you don't have the option to ignore him while he's using Bide. Though the second time around you can slot in three Servants with non-damaging NPs and he's baby cake.

At least that's how it went for me during the Christmas event.

Really, he's a trophy Servant to show off your luck in the FP lotto and nothing else. Which I think is for the best, since if you really felt compelled to get him it would be kind of aggravating.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

And even he has a (minor) niche being an anti Beast servant if you grind his bond. Good for maybe 5 fights in the whole game so far? And even then, his stats are too low to matter to most of them. In numbers, he more works as a 2 star, so the 0 star is mostly just for show.
    Yeah, he has more of a Magikarp syndrome - you know, the useless Pokemon that turns into a really good Pokemon after way too much work - except Angra's Gyarados is pretty niche. Even grailed, his stats are so-so at best. But, if you get him to Bond 10, you do get his CE, with Anti-Beast and Guts. Also, you unlock his Interlude (not yet released) that tacks a Guts onto his third skill, bringing him back after self-destructing (if he hasn't died already).

But yeah. Even his NP is contingent on him taking damage and not dying from it, and when your max HP - when grailed - is on the low end, that's not a lot. The guts helps, but still, he's an extremely niche Servant.

Useful in his niche. But hard to use. Which actually describes a lot of Servants, come to think of it. Like Arthur. Anti-Giant is a really specific niche, and of giant enemies, there really aren't many that are Lancers, so... why? Just why?

But yeah. That's niches in this game for you.

27. - Top - End - #387

NecromancerGirl

Which actually describes a lot of Servants, come to think of it. Like Arthur. Anti-Giant is a really specific niche, and of giant enemies, there really aren't many that are Lancers, so... why? Just why?

But yeah. That's niches in this game for you.
    I'm pretty sure there were a decent number of Lancer Hydras in Shimosa, if I'm remembering correctly. Of course, I might be completely wrong and they were all Archers. Kind of like how Seigfried is anti-dragon, but most dragons are riders. Before his buffs, the joke was "if you take Seigfried to fight Elizabeth Bathroy, hitting both her being a lancer and her being a dragon, you will be doing almost as much damage as any other saber."

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Really, he's a trophy Servant to show off your luck in the FP lotto and nothing else. Which I think is for the best, since if you really felt compelled to get him it would be kind of aggravating.
    He's also able to ride the bench carrying an event CE without taking up too many points. That can help you maximize drops while still being able to save points in your team comp for other servants.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

He's also able to ride the bench carrying an event CE without taking up too many points. That can help you maximize drops while still being able to save points in your team comp for other servants.
    You can say the same about any 1-2 star Servant with a 3-4 cost though, and many of those - possibly all of them - are objectively stronger and have a much larger niche in the game as a whole.

I do believe Angra Mainyu functions as a 2-star despite the starless gimmick.

30. - Top - End - #390

BlackDragon

Angra gives you 2 SQs per lv for bond lv 6-9, just like a 4 star. So he's great for a backline that never sees the light of day.
    Last edited by nightwyrm; 2020-03-11 at 03:02 PM.