New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Benedict's Manse]

"There's a graveyard here, right? Do you think they're all walking around?" Miri muses.

"No, the finger's gone. I think she's alright now; I bandaged her hand up and all, but I don't know."
    Miri sets out papers in front of her and concentrates, mumbling thoughts to herself as she dredges them up.
    "There was more to my name." "Ten-Thousand 'Amyri' Mein"
    "I was...important. I ran a whole city? Then I left on a mission to, oh, no, the other way around."

"Some of these are...they don't fit, like there's static, or an echo, uh..
    She puts a hand to her temple.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #812
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Home 25: Still making mortgage payments

Benedict's Manse

"That's true. I should ask Benedict if there's any bodies there I can use. I don't want to accidentally upset him by reanimating his dead mother, or something." Arron doesn't know Benedict had two mothers. Or that something happened in the tomb that Miri was warned against approaching and told to ignore if it started calling her by name. "It wouldn't surprise me if they're all walking around. There's a lot of bodies working here, and they had to come from somewhere."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Karaoke Party]

"Y-yeah! You should!" Div agrees with Batu. "I mean, it'd be... totally..." He swallows the rest of that thought.

"Uh, m-maybe we should try writing a spell! Is that something we could actually do?" He looks around at the other lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Karaoke Party]

Jim grins at Div.
    "Is there something you wanted to tell us, Div? No shame among friends." he teases. But he moves on just in case. "Making new spells is...hard. It's like coming up with a new basket weave on the fly." Always very troublesome, but not impossible.
    "Alright then! More croc-me from now on," Batu declares with enthusiasm. "Whole new spells are hard, yes. Only some sorcerers can come up with them. Most sorcerers who want something new take someone else's spell and modify it. We could try that too."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

[Willa and Corvus' House]

After a long, long adventure and subsequent walk home, Willa and Corvus can finally get rid of all the gear they were carrying. And Willa can shower! And Corvus can maybe get out of his tiger form.
    Either way, unless Libra decides to pop in early, they can hopefully unwind a little bit with some prep before, "I suppose we have to get on with this, don't we?"
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #815

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Benedict's Manse

"That's true. I should ask Benedict if there's any bodies there I can use. I don't want to accidentally upset him by reanimating his dead mother, or something." Arron doesn't know Benedict had two mothers. Or that something happened in the tomb that Miri was warned against approaching and told to ignore if it started calling her by name. "It wouldn't surprise me if they're all walking around. There's a lot of bodies working here, and they had to come from somewhere."
    Miri doesn't know what's going on with that tomb but doubts it would be a good idea to have people poking around in it.

"Benedict probably reanimated all his parents himself." She observes airily.

Back to memories, and "I was dead!" she suddenly realizes.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #816
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Corvus manages to change back during the walk home. He looks a bit tired, but not terribly the worse for wear, and helps Willa get ready for her shower, before putting on some tea for them both to enjoy when she finishes. Eventually, though, they get around to Willa's question, and Corvus pauses for a moment, raising an eyebrow at Willa.

"Well, yes, if we want to fulfill this. Is something wrong?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Willa shakes her head- still a bit wet. After fetching herself a shirt, she lays out the two vials and the stone on the table.
    "No, just-it's been a long day, is all. More eventful than I expected when I woke up yesterday. Ready when you are, I guess." she tells Corvus.

8. - Top - End - #818

NinjaGuy

Corvus takes Willa's hand gently, and massages the back of it with his thumb for a moment, giving her a gentle smile.

"All right, then. LIBRA! We've gotten the ingredients!"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Kathy's Shop]

"You have a practical mindset, and dancing isn't an entirely practical skill," Fayyaad admits. "It's meant to impress and entertain. And it needs to be shared with others. Which certainly suits me, but not everyone." His tail brushes against Kathy's leg slowly. "Of course, once you do set your mind to it, it becomes a skill like any other. No one was ever born a dancer, regardless of what some might tell you."

[Mouchabière Residence]

Sophie smiles, her spirits already lifted a little bit, and sets off in search of Trick once again.
    [Kathy's Shop]

Kathy's hand comes down and runs a finger along Fayyaad's tail, "Makes sense. Part of why I'm interested in it is learning footwork; I use a sword when I'm in my mech, and while I'd say I'm reasonably skilled, branching out can only help with that sort of thing."

[Mouchabière Residence]

Trick is easy enough to locate in the basement, where she keeps her lab. She's currently wearing goggles and a face mask to protect her eyes, nose, and mouth, and is pouring some kind of golden liquid into a beaker of glowing red liquid, apparently very concerned about the possibility of the mixture going awry. She doesn't even look up from her project when Sophie and Szarn walk in, though she clearly heard them due to Szarn's loud footsteps if not Sophie herself, "Hey hon. Just let me finish what I'm doing here and I'll be right over."

It should only be a few more moments of careful mixing anyways.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

[Kathy's Shop]

Fayyaad's tail brushes against Kathy's hand as he talks. He seems to have fine control of it.

"I have heard people compare dancing and swordplay. There is something to it. You need footwork and you need to match the other person's movements... just in a different way. I know the basics of swordplay, as expected of someone of my birth. But I prefer a staff and pyromancy."

[Mouchabière Residence]

Sophie knows better than to distract Trick while she's doing alchemy. There have been some incidents.

"Sure, we'll wait upstairs. Come, Szarn."

Trick might notice from Sophie's voice that she's on edge for some reason. But for now she simply goes upstairs to sit on a couch in the living room and wait.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

[Kathy's Shop]

"I'm something of a brute with it. I've been meaning to get better; I figure any real swordsman that could keep up with my mech would kick my ass if it came to it," Kathy will gently grab Fayyaad's tail, the rubbery grips on the inside of her metallic hands likely feeling odd. She continues with a smirk, "Plus, it lets me spend some time with a handsome guy."

[Mouchabière Residence]

It's only a couple minutes later that Trick comes up out of the basement, leaving her leather lab garb on a hook on the wall. She'll take the mask and goggles off as she says, "Is something wrong? You're not usually this tense when you get home," And, because Sophie seems like she needs it, Trick will go about starting dinner, preparing some mashed potatoes, broccoli, melted cheese, and some pork chops.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

[Kathy's Shop]

Kathy might notice that she has managed to surprise Fayyaad. Both with the bold move of grabbing his tail and the feeling of her hand on it. He shivers slightly.

"I think few swordsmen could keep up with your machine. But your plan to attract handsome men has clearly worked like a charm. Knowing how to dance has certainly helped me meet people as well. Along with being so devilishly charming, of course."

[Mouchabière Residence]

"I found out that one of my patients has a more severe problem with abusive parents than I'm used to," Sophie says. "Remember when I asked you for a way to enter someone's dreams? This is about the same person. Her troubles... aren't over, to put it mildly. She has consented to my telling you about it, so maybe I ought to start at the beginning."

13. - Top - End - #823
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

Earl knows most of what's up with that tomb...

"Yeah, he seems the type." And then back to his research, the skeleton pirouetting rather awkwardly.

"Wait, what? You died, and came back? What's it like?" Arron sits up and puts the book down, the skeleton ceasing its movements but remaining in its balletic pose, balanced on one leg with the other pointing out in front of it and its arms sticking up, hands arrayed into the bull's horns symbol.

14. - Top - End - #824

Maybe the tomb should start calling Miri's name...or saying something else more enticing.

"It wasn't really like anything. I was, uh, shot? quite a few times, and I felt like I was falling. And then it gets hard to see, like there's static on a signal, you know? But I remember realizing that I was looking down at my body, and then-
    And then the next thing I can find with mnemomancy, I've washed up on the edge of a stream. No wounds, no clothes, no idea where I am. And that's staticky too..."

Miri shrugs.
    "So if you were hoping to hear about an afterlife, sorry."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #825
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

It's too far away for that. Benedict and his father bound that tomb too tight to let its voice travel far. Maybe if Arron and Miri went into the grounds...

"I was kinda hoping for an afterlife, yes. But... The lack of knowledge about that makes this feel a little better." Arron gestures to the skeleton balancing before him, before concentrating on it and having it do another jump and swap legs for a spin. "Can you remember what it felt like, waking up after dying, I mean. I imagine being shot hurt." Though if it was an injury so severe there wasn't much hope the body might not have registered the pain signal. Because being in pain wouldn't help survive, acting rationally and finding help would.

16. - Top - End - #826

Miri nods at the skeleton. Except ,she knows it's not just bones. There's something in there that remembers dying too.

Unfortunately the body does a lot automatically, whether or not it's a good idea. I mean, how could it be prepared for everything you might encounter in the Nexus?

"It felt like, there was something just out of reach, that I was trying to get to. I remember being surprised by how much of everything there was, although I don't know what that means...I guess I wasn't really thinking at the time."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #827
    Halfling in the Playground

[Fort Aegis]

Sam takes a step forward and gives Sylvess a big hug on his long dragony neck. Sylvess should be familiar with Sam's hugginess from Lucy by now.
    "Uhuh. You guys happy with it? I wasn't expecting you to come back with anything short of a castle, to be honest." he jokes, giving the dragon a pat on the shoulder.
    [Fort Aegis]

Oh, Sylvess is familiar with it. Sylvess still instinctively flinches anyway. He's not very good at not being cowardly.

"I-i-it's pretty nice. Lots of space. Y-y-y'know, plenty of room for you to, uh, have a room. A-a-and we have kobolds a-and they have a spa underneath a-and we're working on making it something really special. It's nice and warm. Perfect, uh, perfect for a-a-a-an egg chamber." There's an audible gulp from the dragon as he mentions that bit.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

[Fort Aegis]

Sam looks at Sylvess while his brain works on stuff. Then he brightens.
    ”Oh, did you guys get one of those potions? Congratulations! When is that happening?” That explains it. He was afraid maybe Sylvess got stung by a wasp on his rear or something.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

"I suppose that makes sense. Bigger things to worry about than thinking when you're dying, I suppose. I haven't experienced it." It sounds quite scary, Arron thinks. He wonders if there's a way to prolong his own life with necromancy. There should be, right? It's the magic of death and dead things, and there's a bit on ghosts and binding souls to corpses to punish someone beyond death, but nothing directly on prolonging one's own life in his beginner's guide. Although if there was, wouldn't Benedict be trying it to live longer? It is dying he's scared of, right?

Arron is partly correct on some of this, but not all.

20. - Top - End - #830

All it takes is one morbid conversation and one child's book, and boom! Another necromancer in the making.
    "The worst part wasn't even dying. I mean, it did hurt and all, but...it was knowing that my plan hadn't worked. That's a bit strange, huh?"

Miri digs up more memories. Meetings, paperwork, curtains,
    Her mission, the thing that brought her to the Nexus. To search for a creature since vanished from their world. A hunt that took her up and down across the cities, ended in a standoff with a god.
    "There must be some trick to this mnemomancy that I'm not getting. So many of these memories are just a blur." But no, the raksha's information was fine. It's Miri's head that's faulty. Memories of memories, half-imaginary already.
    "Would you try to look at them, like earlier?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #831
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

"Do you remember what the plan was, or is that lost, too? And sure, I'll try looking at your memories again. Try to meditate again, I think that makes it easier." Arron sits up and concentrates, trying to reach in and have a look at Miri's older memories, the ones she's just recovered. He's not very good at this, and Miri does know how to create a false memory for him to look at instead, should she wish to.

22. - Top - End - #832

Willa shakes her head- still a bit wet. After fetching herself a shirt, she lays out the two vials and the stone on the table.
    "No, just-it's been a long day, is all. More eventful than I expected when I woke up yesterday. Ready when you are, I guess." she tells Corvus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post

Corvus takes Willa's hand gently, and massages the back of it with his thumb for a moment, giving her a gentle smile.

"All right, then. LIBRA! We've gotten the ingredients!"

"Gee, you don't have to YELL, okay?" Both Libra and another much more unassuming looking woman appear in puffs of smoke near Corvus and Willa.
    She gestures at her and then at the pair "Willa, Corvus, this is Zee. Zee, this is Willa and Corvus. Great you now know one another so we can get this going."

A floating armchair made of black smoke appears behind Libra and she sits down in it and puts her palms together. "So, context time. Willa and Corvus just went on a great epic quest I gave them in exchange for a single wish. It was a potion of immortality, right?" She eyes Willa for a moment but doesn't wait for an answer. "However, now my friend Zee here have asked me to stop granting wishes. She thinks they cause far more trouble than they help anyone. So I'm gonna make a little deal with her. If she can convince Willa here to not accept my reward wish, perhaps by granting it on her own, I'm never going to grant another wish ever again. However, if she can't I'm going to give Willa her just reward, perhaps with a little bonus on the side, and then things will go on as normal. Good? Good!" Libra turns and gestures to her 'friend'. "You can begin, Zee. I know you're pretty good at convincing people so work your magic."
    A beat. "Just not the one that turns them into mutated thralls. That'd be gross."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-05-25 at 12:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is now a barmaid in Willa and Corvus' house. She's still wearing her Trog's Tavern apron and looking a little disoriented.

Slightly nauseous, maybe?

"Ugh... hate non-Newtonian motion..."

Apparently being teleported doesn't agree with her.

"I don't-"

Ugh.

Don't let her get to you. Take it slow. Assess the situation. This is important. Have you met these people before? Don't think so. Maybe? No. A potion of immortality? Liquid philosopher's stone? Geeze. No way that could possibly go poorly. Context? You need context. Worldlines here are fuzzy as heck. No real details to use. Maybe just get them talking and you'll get something you can make sense of.

"Hi, I'm Zee, the barmaid over at Trog's Tavern. Libra recently popped in over at the tavern to..." she gives the oni a sidelong look. "Narrate at me? I'm honestly not sure."

It was pretty weird.

Hopefully you're looking in the right direction to talk with these people. You're assuming Libra actually gestured toward them when she made that motion. She knows, to some degree, how you perceive things so she might just be messing with you. Hopefully she isn't because that would make the situation even more awkward than it already is.

"Corvus, was it? Are you immortal and Willa isn't?" Zee asks. Gotta start somewhere.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

24. - Top - End - #834

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "Do you remember what the plan was, or is that lost, too? And sure, I'll try looking at your memories again. Try to meditate again, I think that makes it easier." Arron sits up and concentrates, trying to reach in and have a look at Miri's older memories, the ones she's just recovered. He's not very good at this, and Miri does know how to create a false memory for him to look at instead, should she wish to.
    Miri shakes her head.
    "It's way too late for that."
    She clears her mind, and doesn't bother with fake memories. That would defeat the point.

Miri is standing in the Temple of Inari' sanctuary right before the magic circle. She's just struck down the target with her psychic energy, and as soon as she deals with the priest, they- A sudden disconnection, no further memory.
    -bites Miri's hand clean off, but then spits it out, disgusted. She's not really pained or even worried, but offended, because- No further memory.
    A handsome man with antlers and floppy animal ears, sitting on the hood and windshield of an old car, says something complimentary, and Miri reaches up to find that she has antlers. She didn't a few minutes ago. How could that be? Their shapes are set when they reform, how could she have changed like this? With a bit of inward focus, her antlers separate from her head, transforming into- No further memory.
    He pulls aside curtains and looks out the window, seeing the infernals crash down onto Eastside as bullet swarms start to fill the air. He heads outside, blasting through the demons with bolts of lightning, coming up with a hasty plan to stop the infernal, and it's going well until the demons wheel out this new weapon that- empty gap, and memories resume -seeing through six hundred eyes as the swarms overrun the street and the infernal turns towards the eastern VIGIL team. Enough bullets land. Pit fiends grab hold of him as he falls. He dies, just like she described. The scene dissolves into static. Oddly, though, even when there was that recognition of looking at their own fallen body, they couldn't visually make out the corpse. There was just a blankness.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #835
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

"The memories are quite... disjointed, I guess is the term. They're weird. I don't recognise these places, though. I can't help there." He's not been in the Nexus that long, and certainly hasn't been able to travel. "I don't like the look of anything in that war-torn city. Reminds me of my homeland too much." Being from a post-apocalyptic world of radioactive wastelands and mutated wildlife, that looks a bit too much like what he's heard of the End War.

26. - Top - End - #836

"So they really are like that...disjointed." And not just her. "Thanks for the help."
    Miri shakes her head.
    "I didn't like it either. But I guess... that used to be my home? Didn't look good for it."

"Maybe I should start at the beginning."
    She starts looking back at memories herself, reaching as far as she can, once again mumbling about them as she writes them down.
    "Static again? There's something wrong with us, and that...my mother? Just a voice?
    "I think...maybe I've died more than once? Maybe a lot of times?" Miri sounds scared about that.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #837

NinjaGuy

Corvus has come to expect strangeness when dealing with beings like Libra. He eyes Zee for a moment, then shrugs and nods.

"Functionally so, yes. People who have been Chosen by Luna tend to live for a long time, assuming they aren't killed in battle."

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

Willa, who for Zee's information is a centaur, folds her arms.
    "As he said, more or less. As is my brother, thanks to Libra. But this was supposed to be an apology. You know, give us a straight deal, quest for requested item, end of story? To make up for all the wishes that went partially sideways. I never agreed to be a part of any of your bets, Libra." She just wanted her potion! Was that really so much to ask?

29. - Top - End - #839

"I'm gonna!" Libra insists as she leans forward in her chair. "All you need to do is to tell Zee 'no thanks'. Super-easy! And as I said, you will also get a bonus due to all the extra trouble. Maybe, uh, a minor wish or something." She taps her chin. "Or... something you didn't know you wished for? Yes, that could work." Libra gestures at Zee. "But you should hear her out at least. That's all I ask. After all you've gone through all you need to do now is hear an argument. That's it. I'll give you exactly what you want afterwards. No hooks, only good stuff."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-05-26 at 04:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #840

"Hey Libra. Willa, Corvus. Everything okay in here?
    Because, you know, there's a horrible Zee here, on top of the people who live here being back.

((Don't wait for me in any order or anything))
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine