New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Benedict's Manse]

"Skeletons are probably not great at renovation and interior deign, huh?" Miri has to admit Benedict has a point there.

"Hey Arron. I'm Miri?; I don't think anyone had introduced me yet." Shame on everyone else, really. "Apparently I'm good at asking the right questions? Heh. Anyway, have you seen much of this world? You know, before being captured?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #482
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Home 25: Still making mortgage payments

Benedict's Manse

"Some of the artefacts would not appreciate being moved, and they don't all get along." Not that they're all intelligent, but many are just powerful enough to blur the line and get moody. And some are actually intelligent... Or just remember being intelligent, which isn't quite the same thing.

"Nothing, really. I grew up in a big underground shelter, till I was exiled by lot. The population was starting to strain the Vault's fragile life support systems. I walked down this blasted road until I found a caravan of two-headed cattle. They whacked me in the head, and when I woke up I was in a flying city and the world wasn't dead." The Guild buy from several worlds, and sell to them too.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #483
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Fort Aegis]

The attendants nod and leads Sylvess deep into the tunnels under the castle.
    Which is really a lot less menacing than it sounds. Once out of the areas the kobolds tried to make into a business, the place has a structured, almost town-like feel, with signs, dwellings with little wooden doors (also carved) and lots of little dim lanterns, since the kobolds need very little light to see. It's cozy, but likely very cramped for our wide heroes. Eventually they come to a warren with a large door. The attendants knock and out comes a portly old kobold with black scales, who very nearly jumps out of his skin when he see his guests.
    "Oh dear! Oh dear. You didn't tell me- ahem. Welcome, honored dragons. I ah, I'm afraid my abode won't be able to fit you. Perhaps we can find an unoccupied place to speak. I'm mayor Sildin." He says, bowing low.
    "Yeah! Big one said he wants to make a deal Chief Sildin." says the bath attendant excitedly. "That's mayor- oh sod it let's just go." Sildin groans and leads them to a little cul-de-sac outside the main area.
    "Now, they said you had business to discuss?"
    [Fort Aegis]

Well this is all rather nice, isn't it? Sylvess seems positively enthralled by the underground town these kobolds have built for themselves. Much nicer than anything the kobolds back home would put together - well, not without some serious direction anyway. Perfectly capable, those kobolds, just needed a very proactive guiding hand to get them going in the right direction.

Once they've met the mayor and retreated to somewhere with a bit of space, Sylvess bobs his head to Sildin and gives a little smile. It looks goofy. And maybe scary. He puts the smile away again. "Y-yes, well, we brought here o-on request, a-and having been shown around, I-I think we can definitely help, but we'd need to, um, set some terms on our, uh, arrangement."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

4. - Top - End - #484

How peculiar and troubling, to stay in an occultist's house, where any given thing might be magically opinionated.
    "Hmm, okay." Miri will try to continue chatting with Sara and Arron for however long the meal might last.
    But it is getting on in the day, probably. She really should rest in a proper bed sooner or later. And so on.
    The most interesting thing here, to her, is that the cook also happens to be cursed. Probably doesn't matter to Benedict, probably does matter to Sara.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

[Fort Aegis]

Sildin nods.
    "Yes, ah, well. We're prepared to offer you the entirety of the fortress itself, as well as your own wing of our tunnels. Really, ah, you would have control of all of the business parts of the warren as well as your own. But not infringe on ours, and we would be the ones staffing the business except in cases of absolute non-negotiable need. All that would be yours in exchange for your ah, initial investment. And for future profits well, since we would be all of your staff we were thinking between you and us ah....forty-sixty? the kobold seems absolutely terrified of making monetary demands of a dragon.
    Spako eyes Sylvess, and does his best to look non-threatening to the mayor. He isn't sure it's working.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Sam’s Place]

Sam nods and takes the gauntlets. He should have room for them in his big bag. Oddly enough, with the esoteric matters out of the way it’s time for much more simple questions.
    ”Okay. Give her the stuff. Be gentle on the psyche. I can do that. Uh.
    Where is she exactly?”
    It’s something she hopefully has the answer to or this will be a lot harder.
    Sam's Place

"Vigil." Dorry says plainly before holding up her hand to stop him. "Hold off for a moment before heading on over. There's a few things I can still tell about her. Her psyche is...violent, for lack of a better word. Violent and unstable. There's no telling what'll happen if she's presented with what you have. And there's no telling what cause she's there for either. Tread carefully."

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sam's Place]

Sam does not look comfortable with those instructions.
    "I will wait until morning if you think I should wait at all. You didn't make it sound like I had much time to spare. So...unless you think it should be longer, that's the plan."
    Vigil is...well it's better than being in the clutches of bad guys. He doesn't know what he'd do if he was told he had to go find some gang hideout in Skyside for her. Or storm AMEN. If that happened he'd probably be asking Vigil to do it.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

Oh, the smartest artefacts are usually the ones kept locked away and heavily guarded. Not left in a book case in a spare bedroom.

It matters a little to Benedict, but not much. Gives him another person to practice removing the curse from- and he will properly remove it from Sara, or try to at least. She won't get a say in the matter, though she'll be relieved. Unlike Benedict, she didn't have anyone else's youth to interfere with the curse's application.

After the meal, skeletons lead Arron to the basement and Sara will take Miri back to her room, before being sent to bed. Benedict goes to prepare things for tomorrow, and curse removals. No point removing Sara's curse now; she might see Miri again in the morning and change again, then all the power he'd stored and used to break the curse would have been wasted.

9. - Top - End - #489

'Usually'.

When shown back to the room, Miri will stop Sara and ask "Do you want to go back to normal? I don't know if Benedict will bother with you, but I should be able to help." and motion that the cook should step into the room. "Seeing it spread, and on everyone here, it's pretty clear how it works."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Cass' Dreamshard]

Electra looks a bit surprised, but seems to be keeping a hold of her emotions, if her attire not shifting is any indication.

"I....see," she says finally. "Have you....always been with Cass, then, or did something happen that led to you coming about?"
    [Cass' Dreamshard]

"There was something of a... magical mishap. Involving a drow bard and a mind meld," says Wren. "The plan was to only take some of his memories, but she got somewhat overwhelmed and..."
    Wren shrugs. "She can explain the magic better than I, but as far as I can tell, I seem to be a fragment of her personality created to contain the memories and experiences she took."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

"Yes, I would. But... If you remove the curse, whilst it still affects you, might I not get re-cursed?" Since Sara caught the curse from Miri, not Arron. She still follows into the bedroom, however.

12. - Top - End - #492

Miri considers for a moment as he shuts the door.
    "No, that would only happen if someone new came in, and caught the curse, and then you got recursed from them." Or if there have been some variations here to make the thing more infectious...
    "Have a seat, close your eyes." he instructs.
    If this further instruction is followed, he'll lean in and kiss the cook, and otherwise try to fulfill the curse's condition the 'intended' way.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #493
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

Sara frowns slightly, but nods and sits on the bed, with their eyes closed. The eyes open when they're kissed, and they return to normal. She's very surprised by the kiss, and is blushing quite red. "O-oh. That was, um. Thank you."

Miri might want to mention that to Benedict; they've been researching how to keep the curse's side-effect whilst lifting the bulk of the curse. If Miri is willing to kiss Arron, that would probably save Benedict quite a few resources.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Cass' Dreamshard]

Electra's eyes widen in remembrance, as Wren explains his origin.

"Oh dear, I didn't realize she'd had problems from that mission." She takes a few steps towards Wren, not sure whether she should give him a hug, or refrain. She feels a little responsible; after all, she's partly the reason, however convoluted and indirect, that Wren's here now. "I'm sorry; I don't think anyone realized the magic she used had this effect, least of all me. Is there anything we can do for you? It sounds to me like you're more a person trapped than a split personality."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cass' Dreamshard]

Wren gives Electra a wan smile, not really reacting to her closeness. "Do I? That would be interesting. If I were a separate person, who would that make me? Raril Xar'Cha?" He shakes his head.

"Unfortunately, Raril Xar'Cha is very much alive, so I can't very well be him. Plus, I don't feel much like Raril Xar'Cha. Besides, she's learned a lot from me: the singing, the fighting, the dancing... would those go if I do?"

Wren gives another shrug. "Maybe I'm a person. Maybe I'm just half a person. Maybe without me, Cass is just half a person too. I'm not so sure... In any case, we can talk about the philosophy later if you want. I think I'm back."

On cue, Cass will reappear in the tower study, holding a probably quite surprised (and hopefully clothed) Wenomir by the arm as she pulls him in as well.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-03-30 at 08:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #496

"You're welcome."
    "Would you like me to do it again?"
    She must find the transformed guest attractive for the curse to have spread in the first place, and she can't have had many people to kiss, all cooped up in this mansion.

Allowing Benedict to observe the curse running its course when Miri changed back to normal?
    He'd be willing to make out with Arron even if it weren't for the sake of science.
    Although Benedict might need to track down whoever originally cursed him in order to make use of the results.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

[Cass' Dreamshard]

Wenomir staggers into the dream-space alongside Cass. Mercifully enough, he is in fact dressed. Armored, in fact. He's wearing an outfit Electra has seen him in once; a shirt of mail covered up by a long, open plain brown coat with a hood, thrown back. The Answer is at his hip, seemingly having travelled into the dream with him.

"What the-" he looks between Cass, Electra and... some other drow that looks a lot like Cass... for some kind of explanation.
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-03-30 at 08:35 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

"O-oh. Um." Sara blushes even deeper, if that's possible. She's a little speechless; really doesn't have a clue about what to say. She wants to say yes, but doesn't know how. She does nod, a little, quite nervously too.

Benedict doesn't want to break the curse in the proper way, not on themselves anyway. She wants to keep the youth, which would be dispelled by kissing the person she contracted the curse from.

19. - Top - End - #499

Miri watches hesitantly, thinking that he's misunderstood something, until Sara nods.
    "Good. You don't have to be shy."
    Then he reaches over to take her hand in his, and leans in to give her a kiss without any magical significance.
    After which, he'll make at least one suggestion that would surely make Sara blush even further, if that were possible. Maybe more, if she responds positively.

Unless she can break just part of the curse, that way.
    Benedict should be careful. Dramatically speaking, if there's one person you absolutely have to avoid kissing, you're going to end up in serious danger of kissing them for seemingly accidental reasons.

Eventually, I'm sure Miri will fall asleep.
    In the honestly fairly likely event that someone is watching him in the night, perhaps through magical surveillance, they'll see that he seems to sleep uneasily, shifting often in the night, and his appearance loses and regains its focus many times.
    Hopefully, he won't wake up in the dungeon with the other prisoners, but right here in this guest room.
    Benedict probably has plans for his strange guest, right?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

Sara's not a very good kisser, as she's not had much experience. She does respond positively, too, but doesn't blush deeper. She's less experienced under the curtain, but very eager.

Earl can't really remember who Benedict caught the curse from, and suspects it's an NPC.

Benedict is watching, as it happens. The defocusing of his appearance is particularly interesting. And Miri will wake up in the same bed. Benedict was watching via a scrying mirror, and went to bed very late, so she's not up yet. But Sara is probably around, if she didn't stay the night- and she was very cautious about that, not knowing the proper etiquette.

21. - Top - End - #501

Well, it's not as if Miri is surprised or disappointed by this. They'll enjoy themselves just fine.
    He will have suggested Sara return to her own room eventually. It just seems like the thing to do in a big manor house like this.
    Sara will likely start to have minor electrical weirdness happening around her. Nothing much, nothing unbelievable. Just bits of static, for no reason. Like was happening to Miri when she first showed up at the DFI.

It seems that after getting ready for the day, appreciating the running water, struggling into one of the other dresses, etc. Miri has gotten some books off the shelf of the red room and brought them back to the blue room to read.
    It also seems he has a bit of a different hair color, more golden-brown now than simply gold.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #502
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

Sara might notice her hair standing on end, but Benedict has few electronic devices, as this manse is not connected to any electrical grids. Benedict's mostly reliant upon magic that replicates the most useful abilities of modern technology, but without the need for charging from an external source.

Miri won't be disturbed immediately, but one of the skeletons will arrive outside the room carrying a platter with toast, strawberry jam, lime marmalade, butter and two boiled eggs. The skeleton knocks, before leaving the platter of breakfast on the desk and leaving.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Cass' Dreamshard]

Electra looks like she's about to say something as Cass returns with Wenomir and turns to look at both of them. She suppresses the urge to give Cass a hug, but it's fairly obvious from her expression that she'd very much like to. Instead, she gives Wenomir a nod.

"Sorry about this, Wenomir. I know it's a little abrupt and probably awkward, but I needed a way to contact you that we could guarantee was secure," she begins, moving back towards both of them, and extending a hand. "Cass offered to provide it, so here we are."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

24. - Top - End - #504

Oh, someone at the door! Miri leaves the book in the chair and goes to check-
    Oh, it's just a skeleton.
    But they brought food! And he's pretty hungry. Miri gobbles up an egg pretty quickly, and then...even if he had all his memories, he wouldn't be familiar with lime marmalade. What an unusual flavor. But if it's what fancy powerful wizards eat... All in all it's a veritable feast of toast-with-different-things-on-it.

And after breakfast he sets out to return the platter to the kitchens and then perhaps to find Benedict.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #505
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

Sara is in the kitchen, washing up her own breakfast things. She'll take Miri's and blush, before washing his too. If he asks where Benedict is, Sara will ask one of the skeletons to show Miri to Benedict's bedroom.

Benedict's bedroom is elsewhere in the building, on the floor above Miri's and on the other side of the tower. The skeleton knocks and opens the door. Benedict is sat in bed, eating her own breakfast. She's got the same platter as Miri had, though with more lime marmalade- she likes the stuff a lot. She's wearing an ill-fitting red flannel nightshirt. "Ah, Miri. Why do you interrupt my breakfast?"

26. - Top - End - #506

Miri gives Sara a smile and thanks, before heading off with the skeleton.

"Good morning Benedict. I was wondering if I could borrow your prisoner to break the transformation on me. I think it would help me remember, just like the first change did."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #507
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

"Oh, sure. I'll take you there in a moment, just need to finish my breakfast. I'd like to watch, get some data on the transformation back. See if I can use that to help myself return to masculinity, whilst ideally keeping the youth." It shouldn't take Benedict too long to finish her breakfast; she's got an egg and a piece of toast covered in lime marmalade left.

"You, meanwhile, go to Sara. Have her make three cups of tea. Then, you meet us at the base of the tower with the tea. Understood? You are dismissed." Benedict's speaking not to Miri, but the skeletal guide. They nod their head and depart, presumably to fetch the tea.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cass' Dreamshard]

Cass, on her end, looks pretty flustered, her cheeks a deep violet. She's dressed in an outfit that could be a mirror to Wren's - pants, white shirt, boots - though instead of a vest she's wearing a corset with the shirt cut with a startlingly deep neckline, putting an uncharacteristic emphasis on her cleavage. Is she wearing a push-up bra?

"Yes, this way it's just Electra, you, and me-" she catches sight of Wren, trailing off as her outfit suddenly shifts to a set of midnight blue armor that Wenomir might recognize. It's still form-fitting, with tight pants and a top reminiscent of a catsuit, but with molded armor plates over the chest, legs, and arms, especially the left arm, which has a slightly heavier bracer than the right. It's dark and sleek, with a matte finish perfect for skulking around a rooftop or back alley, though still protective due to the armor plates. She eyes Wren nervously, looking back and forth between him and Electra.

"Hi, I'm Wren," says Wren, waving to Wenomir without standing.

"Anyway, we're private in here, is the point," says Cass, hurriedly.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-03-31 at 08:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509

"Okay, uh, good." That'll be weird, but he can't exactly fault Benedict being interested in returning more-or-less to normal. Despite what he said to Arron, there's something bothersome about being cursed like this.
    While the skeleton carries out its orders and Benedict eats the toast, Miri stands in the doorway, peering into the occultist's room curiously.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #510
    Orc in the Playground

Benedict's Manse

Benedict has a very large bed, and an equally large wardrobe. There's also a desk and a chair, plus a large bookshelf covered in books and tomes. Hanging from a hook by the bed is a swordbelt with a bone-hilted sabre in a leather sheath and a horned clay mask painted blue. On the wall opposite the bed is a large painting of one of Benedict's ancestors, a haughty-looking man with tanned skin and blue eyes, wearing a white wig and a blue military jacket, leaning on an ornate musket or early rifle. Despite the difference in age, and skin tone, there's similarities; they share the same nose.

There's also a display cabinet next to the desk; within, a skull carved from obsidian, a dagger made from a fossilised shark's tooth, a delicate silver wand consisting of fine wire wrapped around empty space and a bronze tablet etched with cuneiform writing. The bedroom doesn't have a window; there's space where one used to be, but it has since been bricked up. Hanging where the window should be is a large... possibly a mirror, currently reflecting the mausoleum in the estate's graveyard. Occasionally, a rune carved into the lintel flares with blue light, accompanied by the door shaking.