New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Home 25: Still making mortgage payments

[A far too small apartment]

"Uh, not too long. A couple weeks, maybe? They just need some time to get a place here. It's pretty hard to have something ready to go when you're coming from another world." Valerie gives her a questioning look. "...Is that a problem?"

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Some logistical ones. Like, where would they sleep exactly? The apartment is cramped as it is. I don't mind them being here but perhaps they could sleep in a nearby hotel instead? I could stick some money to them if that's a problem." Astrana argues.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

"A hotel? Astrana, I can't stick my parents in a hotel." She shakes her head. That's just a disaster waiting to happen. "The couch is a hideabed. We can just pull it out while they're here. It'll be tight, but it's not that long."

4. - Top - End - #304

"You make it sound like such a bad thing, Val. They would be far more comfortable at a hotel, and they already know we have it pretty tight, right?" Why had all these decisions been taken without her? This was her appartment too, wasn't it?
    She would say something more about them probably not wanting to intrude but she didn't want to start arguing right in front of the children. "In either case, when is this supposed to happen?"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Jim's Place]

"A boys' night out sounds pretty great. I've never had one," Batu admits. They can clearly feel his relief over getting past the awkwardness. "We can still go to the karaoke. It's not just a couples' thing. And if we get bored with that we can just find someplace else."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Jim’s Place]

Jim nods, grinning again.
    ”Sure, let me just put some real clothes on.” he tells them, shutting the door and returning a few minutes later in a green shirt and kilt and a small satchel.
    ”So, where are we going?”
    [Jim's Place]

"Down in the town. I haven't been here much, but we picked out a place," Div says shyly. "This will be... my second time in the city. In a city."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

[Jim’s Place]

"I didn't really plan it out much," Batu says. "I just saw it once and thought it might be neat. I can't sing at all, but I don't think singing well is the point at those parties."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can not put my mother in a hotel. I'd never hear the end of it." Valerie emphasises. Her dad probably wouldn't say anything, but her mom never hesitates to speak her mind. "Next month sometime. They're still organizing the exact acquisition date with the buyer."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jim’s Apartment]

Jim grins at the two nervous boys.
    ”Well! I guess your boyfriend and I will have to cover for you. Guess tonight the boys with horns are the ones who can sing. And relax, Div, technically you’re already in the city.” he flicks at Div’s antler teasingly.
    ”G’night Barnabas, hold the fort!” he calls into the room and shuts the door. He’s all set to go.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Carousel Court - Down's Festive Lair
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    Spoiler: Down's Lair of Moderate Festivity
    Show

Oh boy they sure are pushing this hard, huh.
    It's with great reluctance that Down doesn't pull away from Lucky's clinking and greater reluctance still that she fails to burn that Thanksmas tree to the ground.
    Slightly less reluctance that she swipes a brownie, but it's also entirely possible she's eating that to buy herself some time away from Morning's question.

It's a rather good question.
    What is she thankful for?

There's the obvious and incredibly trite "my handful of friends not being dead", but she isn't nearly drunk enough to admit something like that. Not in front of Lucky, anyway.
    Could just be a butt and say "this alcohol", but she suspects Morning Glory wouldn't let her get away with that either.
    What then?
    After that little comment about how nice it is being with friends and how "home"y this forsaken city is, she's probably expecting something poignant.

She doesn't know how to do poignant.

"Am I allowed to be thankful that the snow here isn't radioactive or cursed?"

Lucky snickers softly. "Yeah, I gotta agree there. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the snow is carnivorous or something in other parts of this place. Already seen some pretty weird stuff, and I've only been here a few weeks..."

"You get used to it," Dawn shrugs, still indulging in sweets and lounging around lazily. "This place is strange, but it's an odd comfortable strange. Not like back home where its strange but there's the constant dread and paranoia and... ugh," she shudders. "I'll take the occasional weird snow monster or talking rats or martial arts cockroaches this place has to offer any day."

"Don't bring up the rats," Lucky grumbles with a flat expression, before turning back to Down and Glory. "Anyhoo, before you ask Miss Glory, I'll save you the trouble and admit that I'm thankful to know my friend is safe and to be able to pester her again." He takes a small step back from Down, closer to Glory. "This is the part where she gets grumpier," he whispers to the party pony.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

10. - Top - End - #310

"I see." At least there would be plenty of time to prepare then. "Very well then. I didn't know it was so important for your mother to be here. Different priorities I guess." She really didn't know Val's mother at all. "Did they remarked on your, eh, changes?" She gestures at Val's wings.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, they haven't seen me yet. We can't do video. But I've explained. I don't think they'll fully understand until they see, but they're supportive." Valerie explains.

12. - Top - End - #312

"You could always send a picture." Astrana suggests. "But yes, considering they were so ready to accept me I don't think they should have any problems." Not to mention all the other changes Val had gone through.
    The tiefling glances at their children. "We have to explain it though. They haven't met your parents that many times."

[Sterling's Trog Room]

A woman appears in the middle of the room.

She's dressed in a purple outfit consting of a bra, a long skirt and a turban adorned with blue feathers. Completing this outfit are four golden chains, two of them broken and connected to the bracers she's wearing, and a golden necklace with a large purple ruby attached to it.

The woman herself look fairly unremarkably however in contrast to her outfit. Tanned brown skin with the body of someone who seems to have worked outside their entire life. She can't really be called pretty or ugly, just average.

Looking around the room like a paranoidiac the woman only seem to notice the rooms other occupant after she looks right at him. "Hey, is Zee in this thread? I think she might be spying on us." Which is of course why she came to trog's. Zee's strongest domain within the nexus.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-01-13 at 08:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #313

[Spako’s Tower]

Spako stares at Sylvess for a few seconds before going over to his side.
    ”Yeah, well, yours too, mister.” he gives Sylvess a gentle hip-check.
    ”And I feel like our response to this would be different if I didn’t hurt everywhere and I wasn’t looking at my tower which resembles a war zone. Do you remember what happened?”
    [Spako's Tower]

Sylvess rubs his head groggily with a claw. "I, um, I dunno." A little voice in Sylvess' head is telling him this is his fault somehow, but he's struggling to tell if that's because he actually had a hand in this, or if he's just being his usual self-doubting self.

"Do, um, do blessings typically come w-with a hangover? I-I mean, there's only us here, right? S-so we must have done this. Somehow."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm sure the kids will be happy. My parents have just been waiting to go into full on grandparent mode and spoil the heck out of them." Valerie laughs. Her parents have already sent gifts every birthday and and for different holidays, and that's with the complications of mailing to the Nexus. "And as a bonus for us, they're already talking about babysitting them."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sterling's Room - Trog's Tavern]

This attic room is as small as it is cozy. A pair of aged bookshelves lurch up against a nearby wall, piled with all manner of strange paraphernalia. Beside the bookshelves, an open-faced cupboard can be seen, its shelves stocked with spices and herbs of varying levels of rarity. At its bottom, a pristine cauldron rests. An old-fashioned work desk faces the room's sole window, its surface shrouded in papers chaotically strewn about, its several shelves filled with inkwells and small figurines. Upon the highest surface of the desk, a collection of woodsy scented candles burn.

A smaller desk off to the side serves as a makeshift alchemical laboratory, complete with rows upon rows of exquisite glasswork, from curiously-shaped crucibles to exotic alembics. Strange, colorful potions burble melodiously within numerous tinctures there, blending in quite nicely with the sound of the cold, midnight rain pattering against the attic room window. The room itself is dimly lit, the light originating from a combination of the many identical scented candles set about the chamber, a small lantern set upon the work desk, and a handcarved wooden chandelier.

In place of a bed, an antique couch, all but obscured by several patchwork quilts and pillows, can be seen. A rectangular rug, complete with golden detailing and matching tassels, ties the room together.

--

In the farthest corner, an oaken recliner sags beneath the weight of a young man with sharp features and a fine haircut. His brows are sleek and decidedly angular, and a proud nose rises out from his face in opposition of his pointed chin. Dark circles rest beneath his eyes. He is clad in a comfortable looking set of dark red flannel pajamas, complete with a comfortable, fur-lined nightcap.

As Libra materializes, the man is relaxing in a most unflattering position with an expensive oaken pipe set between his lips. As she enters and speaks, he jumps somewhat before setting down his pipe.

"Good gods."

"You mean the... thing behind the counter downstairs? No. I think not. I laid a line of salt. Protective, I think."
    He frowns deeply before sighing. "Not that it appeared to stop you in any way."

"I suppose I should be thankful you're not here to eat my brain or something equally horrendous."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"You're not here for... that, are you?"

Spoiler: Sterling St. Claire
    Show
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-01-13 at 09:12 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spako’s Tower]

Spako groans and leans back, rolling a little onto a little pile of torn bedding and debris which seems to have been piled up for some reason.
    ”Sylvess, why would I have torn up my own room? It’s going to take days to fix all of this. We should probably go downstairs, make breakfast. See what the damage is down there.” he wriggles in place, claw sliding about as he attempts to find an intact blanket.
    ”But I really don’t feel like getting up.” Dragons might not be true cold-blooded reptiles but they still have instincts to not leave nice warm spots.

17. - Top - End - #317

The woman gestures eagerly at Stearling. "Yes! The thingy behind the counter! She reads your posts, man!"

Her attention is then turned to the salt at the door. "Oh no, I think she might like salt. I saw her using it on the food she hands to people. We're not safe at all from her evil gaze!"

She gasps dramatically as she turns to him. "Wait, who're you and how do you know about the evil thing at the counter? Most people think she's just a human or something, those fools!" A beat. "Oh, and I'm not here to eat you. That'd be gross." She sticks her tongue out in disgust.

Astrana would hope so considering they probably would stay here most of the day. "Yes, we do need more people to coddle them. Four of them sharing a birthday can be difficult at times." She muses with a smile. She wasn't sarcastic about that, she truly believed the girls could use more people to give them gifts and such.
    Then something occurs to her. "Did you mention... Maha by the way?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-01-13 at 07:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Jim’s Place]

"I didn't really plan it out much," Batu says. "I just saw it once and thought it might be neat. I can't sing at all, but I don't think singing well is the point at those parties."
    [Jim’s Apartment]

Jim grins at the two nervous boys.
    ”Well! I guess your boyfriend and I will have to cover for you. Guess tonight the boys with horns are the ones who can sing. And relax, Div, technically you’re already in the city.” he flicks at Div’s antler teasingly.
    ”G’night Barnabas, hold the fort!” he calls into the room and shuts the door. He’s all set to go.
    "I know that!" Div protests with a whine. He doesn't do well with teasing! "I can sing, at least. I'm not so bad at it. Sometimes my sisters would ask me to sing the kiddies to sleep."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Cass' Tower - Gifts]

Electra smiles gently as Cass examines the doll and the scroll.

"I doubt many have had something like that particular one, but...when I found it, it made me think of you. I think whoever made it must have cared very much about the person they were making it for, to inscribe so many of those tiny little runes to make it work."
    ]
    [Cass' Tower]

"I... thank you." Says Cass, gently replacing everything and turning back to Electra, her eyes glistening slightly. "That's very thoughtful of you," she murmurs, her lips spreading tentatively into a slight smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizard frowns before glancing towards the line of salt at his door, letting out an exasperated sigh as he takes in what the intruder was saying. "Not at all? Not even a little useful? Unfortunate. I should have known that traditional protective sigils weren't going to work." The beleaguered wizard pinches the bridge of his nose with two long, spidery fingers before gesturing wildly. "At least I've nothing to fear should slugs attempt an assault upon my dormitory."

He shrugs before gesturing towards a chair tucked into his work desk. "Seeing as you're still here, I take it you're not leaving anytime soon. There's a seat. I'd offer you the couch, but I sleep there."

"As for... the bartender, her glamour fell. I didn't like what I saw."
    As Libra mentions her disinterest in eating him, Sterling almost seems offended. "Not that there's anything wrong with me! I'm sure I taste wonderful."

"What did you say your name was?"

"I'm Sterling St. Claire."
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-01-14 at 03:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321

Libra peers at the directed couch and then dismisses the offer with a wave. "Nah, I'll use my own seat." She leans back and suddenly there is a black cloud materializing that seem to offer the same sort of comfort.

"St.? Hold on, doesn't that mean you're like a saint? I don't know what I saint is, but I know they are dressed in crazy clothes." She gestures towards Sterling and in the same motion she leans forward and offers her hand to the wizard. "I'm Libra! Kinda like a djinn, and certainly less horrific than the thing downstairs. She's butt-ugly." Libra chuckles as if just making a joke until she clears her voice. "Anyway, I came here since I think you might have use of my help and I need to make up for a bad thing that happened."

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

Astrana would hope so considering they probably would stay here most of the day. "Yes, we do need more people to coddle them. Four of them sharing a birthday can be difficult at times." She muses with a smile. She wasn't sarcastic about that, she truly believed the girls could use more people to give them gifts and such.
    Then something occurs to her. "Did you mention... Maha by the way?"

"Of course. They're excited to meet her." Valerie glances at the child pressed against her shoulder. Maha's been snoozing for the last twenty minutes, but she's willing to bet that the moment she puts her down Maha will wake up. It's not worth risking that. "Do you think my parents might, um, have the same protection from her eyes the rest of us do?"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizard blinks as he slowly rises up from his recliner, planting his feet within a pair of fur-lined flannel slippers before shuffling off towards his makeshift alchemical laboratory. "Uh-huh, sure." Sterling looks over his shoulder towards Libra as she summons the strangely-colored cloud, grimacing somewhat as he begins to mix two small containers, setting the final product upon a burner. It smells of hot cocoa. "Do you eat? Drink? Are you hungry, or? I think there's... something edible around here."

Once she mentions her nature, Sterling raises a brow, turning around to lean up against the laboratory table. "I know what a djinn is, I'm no fool. We studied all manner of extraplanar creature during fourth-year."

"The bar-thing is unpleasant, to be sure. Exceedingly so."

"Wait."

"Are you offering me wishes?"
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-01-14 at 01:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

[Jim’s Apartment ==> Karaoke Party]

Batu will briskly lead his friend and his boyfriend towards a rather small and discreet club in one of the less crowded parts of Inside. In the basement, a rather lively party is currently ongoing. People of all species, shapes and sizes are seated around a stage occupied by two young women - one is a stocky dwarf, while the other is a somewhat chubby human. They're bravely but haphazardly yodelling their way through a song.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

25. - Top - End - #325

"Nah, I just ate." Libra waves dismissively once more. "And I'm not exactly a-" A beat. "Okay, let's just say I'm a djinn and I would be offering you, uh, wishes. What sort of things would you wish for? Since I only do interesting ones. Not like, a bunch of money or magic. That's boring."

"That's not something I feel confident answering right now. I want to be absolutely sure before they come over." Having such a deadly child came with a hefty amount of preperation whenever someone came by. She always had eye protection on as much as possible of course, but one could never be too careful. "But that's probably not the only preparations we need to make." Their situation was pretty weird... Maha was technically not even Val's child.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

As Libra asks this most important of questions, Sterling staggers up straight, eyes somewhat widened. Had the world finally decided to cut him some slack? First, there was the explosion at Trog's, his encounter with Izekiel, the disintegration of his heirloom spellbook. Then, all that nasty business at Arkham...

And now? Some ludicrously dressed djinn-ish creature was offering him a wish! The wizard frowns for a moment before his brow furrows. "I - I know exactly what to wish for!"

"For too long has my brilliance gone unrecognized. I wish to be recognized for the extraordinary magician that I am!"

"I want... to be able to do what I please! I want to put them all in their place!"
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-01-15 at 10:47 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327

[Spako's Tower]

"N-n-no. Spako. I-I'm pretty sure we tore your room up." Sylvess winces as he says it, brief half-thoughts surfacing for just a moment suggesting-

"Y-yeah. Pretty sure we did this." He squirms uncomfortably, shuffling slightly away from Spako. "Breakfast sounds good."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, of course. Do you think you'll be able to find that out?" Valerie isn't quite familiar enough with Astrana's capabilities to know for certain. Hopefully that will be a yes...

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spako’s Tower]

Spako shakes his head, perhaps still not believing Sylvess, or perhaps rolling his eyes at the other dragon’s continued discomfort.
    He strolls across the room, his gait feeling just a little different, before he freezes. By the stairs is a mirror, almost entirely untouched with only a single crack across the top. He seems...nervous about looking at himself in it. He silently looks at Sylvess, as if expecting him to be any more willing to walk past the mirror.

[Karaoke Party]

Jim grins wide as they enter. He says something to Batu, but what it is is immediately swallowed by the noise of the music. Regardless he moves immediately to find them a table and drinks.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2020-01-15 at 11:55 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330

"Do you need to ask?" Astrana smiles. "Obviously. I just need some time to prepare. Anything else I should think of before they arrive? Since honestly, I think I might start looking into a larger apartment once they leave. I think we all need a bigger place to stay once all the girls get older."

Libra taps her chin thoughfully as she leans back on her cloud. "Now that's a wish..." He hadn't even considered someone twisting it horribly! Boring people tended to do that but this guy, this Sterling, he was clearly something else.
    "What kind of wizard do you want do? I got this thing for themes. Since there are like classes of magic or something, right?" Libra inquires as she taps her fingers together and grins. There were so many directions she could take this wish...