New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Home 25: Still making mortgage payments

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

"Ithuriel's friend", is definitely a label that Eliza buys. Definitely that simple.
    The intrusive worm of doubt shifts in her mind again, wondering how long they can actually continue to inconvenience this woman's life with their troubles. Rescuing them may have been civic duty, but keeping them here? Changing her life just to cater to their admittedly few needs?
    This entire situation is ridiculous and stupid-

Zane looks up at her a bit and takes her slightly curling hand in one of his, some sort of signal between the two that calms out some of that stress.

"No, supplies are still great, really. We appreciate how much you've already gotten."
    It is a lot of work to keep her anxiety from turning her smile brittle, but her charge's little grip helps. A reminder to be the strong face of them.
    How can she be strong enough to keep taking care of him if she can't even smile for someone who's been helping for so long?

Perhaps deflection will help.
    "Um, so what's the occasion? Ambriel looking for a little more snow in his life too?"
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spako's Tower]

Spako gives Sylvess the look.
    "Sylvess, I was being serious. Did you want to do something while you're here? If you did have a couple ideas you should just hit me with them. That's why I asked." he says seriously.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Jace's Place]

"NNNNNNNGH!" Khannie grunts in front of the mirror in her room.

"hnnnGGGHHH!" she huffs, teeth clenched and muscles strained.

"Neeeeh this is way harder!" she finally laments, tottering backwards and flopping onto her bed.

She's been at it for weeks now.

WEEKS!

She had really wanted to have a cool birthday party at GLoG were it would be easy for all of her friends to meet up, but she doesn't want to go out in public looking like-

She flexes her purple claws.

-like THIS!

What if her friends don't like her anymore because they know she's a pokemon? And not just any pokemon, she's a weird pokemon! One that shouldn't even exist! Kangaskhans aren't supposed to have another evolutionary line. But here she is, all weird and purple. And brown too. And all leggy and lanky like middle-stage pokemon often are.

So that's why she's been trying to learn how to cast Alter Self. Then she could make herself human again! She wouldn't need to rely on the magic stone Grandpa Koi gave her. The one that dumb ogre broke.

"UUUGH! Why is this so much HARDER than minor illusion!" Khannie yells at her ceiling.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

”That’s because you’re trying to brute force your way into learning magic that Jace is crud at.” says the dragon on Khannie’s head. She might not have noticed when or how he entered the room or got on her head, but there he is. On her head. Wings lightly fanning her adorable little ears.
    ”You also are trying to learn his magic without a Bond, which he was never able to do. Before me and Ammy he used to blow stuff up with his brain whenever he got upset. Which apparently was pretty often. Childhoods’ll do that. You don’t have the extra layer of control that he has. Well, I’m probably worth a few layers.” sniffs Zebes proudly.

5. - Top - End - #35

[Jace's Place]

"It worked for the easier one," Khannie grouses to the dragon on her head. "I figured out the one that makes an illusion move with me. That was pretty hard. But making an illusion that someone can touch without it going all-"

She wobbles one paw through the air and blows a raspberry.

"That is SUPER hard. What if one of my friends gives me a hug at my birthday party? Then they'll know I'm not really human! I never told Olon and Endok that I'm a pokemon!"

It's true.

She didn't.

She... she was planning on it!

Eventually.

But that that dumb thing with the disease that made everyone act weird happened!

It ruined everything!.

"Do you think if I got a familiar I would get better at magicing?" Khannie asks.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

Zebes is probably nodding but given his position Khannie probably can’t see it unless she sits up to look at the mirror. “Probably, yeah. You’re supposed to get it starting out, assuming you’re running off of Jace’s Arcane Bloodline. Of course the bloodline doesn’t really have spell requirements, Jace is just kind of bad at illusion and transmutation. He mostly does buffs and blowing things up with elements. No telling what you’re good at. Of course you probably couldn’t get a familiar as good as me starting out. You could start off with a bird or a ferret. Or a rock. Then again the Nexus might wave the feat requirements to getting someone nice like me. Or Commissar, he’d be happy to do it. And he might even learn how to talk right, too.” Commissar does not have a very good vocabulary ever since the meme virus left him and Khannie. Maybe it boosted that part of him. Or maybe he was never infected and Khannie imagined all of that through her own infection.
    ”You know, most of your friends are not actually human.” says the dragon pointedly, thumping his tail against her neck.

7. - Top - End - #37

[Jace’s Place]

Yeah, Khannie doesn't have that wide of a field of view. Which means Zebes can play with her giant Haunter ears with impunity.

"All of the spells that make any sense are the illusion ones," Khannie replies with a sign. "I've tried the other ones but none of them stay in my head. They go, 'Nope! No blowing things up for you, Khannie!' And then they're gone. The illusion ones just make sense but the other ones don't."

She's got a knack for illusions.

"What's a feet requirement?"
    Khannie asks. "Do I need human toes to get a better familiar?"

She wiggles her toes experimentally. That doesn't make much sense to her, but magic is weird. Maybe you need a certain type of foot to get a dragon for a familiar?

Khannie frowns at the last statement.

"I know! But they're mostly human-shaped. And they think I'm a human. What if they're mad that I lied to them?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

”It’s just a figure of speech. It means you usually have to be pretty good at magic before you can Bind something more powerful than a little animal or a rock to you.” Zebes says, totally lying about that first part.
    ”For the record, some people will tell you that the rock is better. Those people are wrong. I’m way better than a stupid rock or a knife or something.” he explains indignantly.
    Zebes shakes his head. ”But Khannie, real friends don’t worry about that sort of thing. Like, really. Look how many friends Jace has despite how many times he’s lied and told people that we’re a pair of stable, normal adults who know what we’re doing.”
    I’m fairly sure not even Jace is dumb enough to claim that.

9. - Top - End - #39

[Jace’s Place]

"Oh," Khannie replies, staring at her toes, none the wiser that she has been deceived. "Well... Maybe I should try to start with a not as great familiar? I think having a knife or a rock would be kind of dumb. But you don't have to feed a rock."

A beat.

"Do you?"

I mean, you might.

It IS a magical rock.

And as noted previously, magic is weird.

"I don't think picking dad's dog would be a good idea. I think he's still mad that Commissar got weirded on already."

The final comment gets a giggle out of her. "I guess that's true. I dunno... explaining that I was a pokemon will be weird."

She gives a huff and rolls over. Zebes may need to reposition himself. "I wish I was born normal..."

But you WERE born Normal, Khannie! What other type would you be?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

”No, you don’t feed a bonded item. And Khannie, most of the famous nexus people are fairies or cyborgs or gods or half-dragons or married half-dragons or are part demon or part daemon with an A or are former daemons or are goblins or have a large animal for a butt. I can safely tell you that being a Pokémon is really not that weird.

Besides, being born normal just means you get weird later and have less time to get used to it. Most people spend their whole lives trying to stop being normal. You just got a leg up on all of them.”
    says Zebes, running his claws along Khannie’s ears because they are fuzzy and he likes fuzzy things.

11. - Top - End - #41

Ithuriel's Demiplane

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post

"Um, so what's the occasion? Ambriel looking for a little more snow in his life too?"
    Ambriel glances towards Ithuriel. She can go ahead and field that question. He doesn't really know anything about what this is even about, aside from maybe 'hey look at the kids I've been hiding in my demiplane, please help me I don't know how to parent.'

"Well, I know you've been pretty busy with work. I could talk to GLoG for you, see if they have space. It wouldn't-" the fake angel pauses, slowly beginning to connect some dots in his head. Ithuriel mentioned the death god that messed things up for her was a child. One of these two, then. The boy, I think. A quick memory sweep confirms it, she described the death god child as a 'he,' so that must be the boy there. He might've been a father if Zane hadn't the Nexus wasn't so keen on ruining everything for everyone.

"Hold on, this is at least tangentially related to that stuff Magtok was going on about, isn't it? The death goddess thing." It sounded like another apocalypse. The kids are probably safer here than they'd be anywhere else in the Nexus, but if this is apocalypse business, even that might not be safe enough. Ambriel frowns, trying to remember what little Needs told him about demiplane theory and how to stay alive when the strands of reality itself are being frayed all around you.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2019-11-12 at 12:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

Wenomir is happy to provide Cass with warmth and snuggles, but sadly, he does need to go back to serious matters eventually. After a long (but still too short) time, he says, running his fingers through Cass' hair:

"How are you dealing with the... memories? Not just those of me, but all of them."
    [Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

Cass exhales heavily. "Like I said, it's like... a dream," she says pensively. "Some of it I remember very well, the rest is... hazy. Feels as though none of it ever really happened."

"Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part, though."

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Cass' Tower - Gifts]

Electra chuckles and obliges, giving a couple of pets, before scritching behind the kitty's ears and all down its back.

"You're definitely a friendly sort, aren't you?" she says, keeping an ear out for the sorceress as she continues giving the cat attention. Strange that Cass hasn't shown up yet, but it won't do to neglect such a friendly kitty, either.
    The cat luxuriates under the attention given to it by Electra, slowly stretching out and nuzzling her hand as it lets out a curiously deep purr. Before long, Electra might hear a soft padding of damp footsteps, heralding the arrival of Cass, dressed in a t-shirt and sweatpants, currently in the midst of toweling her hair after a shower. While she's not a complete wreck anymore, she still does look a little beat up: Electra might note several fading bruises and half-healed cuts around her shoulders and face, and a dressing still around her left hand and wrist. Then again, that's not exactly something that would be unusual for a mercenary.

"Hi Electra," she says, smiling dreamily, before her gaze floats over to the cat underneath Electra's hand, at which point her expression draws sharply down into a frown. "What are you doing?"

"Mortals enjoy petting furry animals," the cat says, its voice smooth, deep, and musical. "It puts them at ease."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

13. - Top - End - #43

[Jace’s Place]

"So how do you get a familiar, then? What do I have to do?" Khannie asks.

Perhaps not shockingly, she's pretty into the idea of gaining more magical aptitude and thus being more like her dad.

Also being able to illusion herself into a human again is super high on her list of important things.

Sure, she kept her opposable thumbs when she evolved (thank goodness) but her paws aren't NEARLY as good for fiddly stuff as fingers are.

And she LIKES being human.

Being not-human hits her with some pretty nasty body dysphoria.

Khannie sits up on her bed and wrinkles her nose at Zebes. "That isn't true! There are lots of Normal people in the Nexus! I see them all the time. There's nothing wrong with being Normal. Not everyone evolves into other types."

Like Ghost type! That's a weird subject that Khannie tries not to think about. What are even ghosts? Does she count as half-dead? She sure doesn't FEEL dead.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

”Well, there are two schools of thought. You either go out into the wilderness and you do a little ritual and see what shows up. Or you can go after something specific. Usually you find a nest of some animal you like, take one of the babies if you get the mother’s permission, and then you bind it. Cats and bats and snakes and jhereg are the usual for those.” Zebes explains, getting uncharacteristically scholarly.
    ”And come on, Khannie. How many of those people moonlight as superheroes? How many have raised factories of evil robots? How many have dads that are magic? Would you rather give up all of that, just to avoid having the bad parts?”

15. - Top - End - #45

[Jace’s Place]

Khannie hums to herself at that.

What would be cooler?

Getting to pick an animal? Or letting an animal pick her?

...hopefully if something picks her it wouldn't be a pokemon.

Or would a pokemon count as too powerful? The sort of thing she would need better feets for?

"I don't know which one I should do," Khannie admits. "And I don't want to give anything up! I guess... I guess it's kind of okay that I'm a pokemon. I wouldn't have ever been born otherwise, would I? Since daddy is also my mom. But I don't want to give up on being human, either. I like being human! It's really cool. It feels... right. Does that make sense? It feels like how I'm supposed to be."

Poor dysphoric child.

"So... I want to get better at being both, I guess?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

Zebes nods.
    ”You wanna be like us. Makes sense. You happened after Jace already knew how to be both. Forte was just trying to help Jace out with the specifics.” he says, brazenly saying Fortuna’s name.
    ”Well, you wanna be like him. Me, I really hate being a mammal, so I avoid it whenever possible.” He shrugs his wings.
    ”That said I can’t help you pick a familiar. You gotta do what feels right for you, or you won’t meet your true partner.”

17. - Top - End - #47

[Jace’s Place]

"Yeah, I wanna be like daddy. Being able to be a human or pokemon whenever I want would be cool! That sort of worked with the rock Grandpa Koi gave me got it got broke."

Once again, because of that stupid ogre.

And because of that stupid disease that made her act weird.

It wasn't her fault!

Not really.

But that's another thing for another time.

"So... what should I do first? What counts as wilderness? Would the back yard work?"
    Khannie asks. They slept in a tent outside that one one time. And you only camp in tents when you're in the wilderness. Everyone knows about that.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace’s Place

Zebes ponders the question.
    ”Well, you’re going to need gem dust and candles and some implements for a magic circle either way. But like I said. Everything depends on you. Traditionally there’s more animals outside the city but the Nexus doesn’t care about logic like that. You can do whatever you want. The world is your oyster! But hopefully your familiar won’t be. That would be really inconvenient.”

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

[Spako's Tower]

As with most cases when Spako deploys the look, it causes Sylvess to cower sheepishly. He's not very good at this. Poor dragon.

"S-sorry Spako. I, well, I did want to talk about things a-a little bit, but, um, the important thing was to give you the shiny." He curls his neck round Spako and gently nuzzles against him. "I-it's, um, it's actually been a while a-and I've somehow managed not to make too much of a mess of things, I-I think, a-and I was wondering if, um..." His voice trails off.

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

"Ambriel is, uh, a semi-regular visitor here, so I brought him here because it's been a while since he last visited, aaand to see if we could put our heads together to think up a solution for the two of you." She inwardly winces at Ambriel's rather blunt assessment of the situation. This whole thing requires a little bit more sensitivity to it.

"I don't want you two worrying, it's no bother having you here, but I appreciate that it's not exactly ideal for you to be stuck in this little bubble of mine. It's just, well, as Ambriel's sort of hinted at there, I've got to make sure I take you somewhere safe, so nothing like that can ever happen again." And there's definitely no element of guilt in Ithuriel's actions, none at all. Definitely not still on her mind how much worse she made things by shunting Eliza into her demiplane so quickly.

"Oh, right, yes." Ithuriel makes a quick little gesture with her hands. "Sorry, should've done that first."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spako’s Tower]

Spako’s ear’s fold back and out, and he scratches the bottom of Sylvess’s jaw with a smirk. Maybe he’s being a little patronizing but he can’t really return the gesture in his current form.
    ”Well, you’re going to have to spit it out, or we’ll be standing here like this all day.” he teases.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    [Fettina's Place]

Cantata listens raptly as Tina describes her home, a faint hint of wonder in her eyes. It wasn't just the wild image of a city carved within a glacier that conjured such a response for her; Earth was a long-abandoned world where she came from, scoured and heaping with ruins and trash. The thought of traveling to the planet that started it all held a curious and intriguing romanticism to it

A silent titter animates her frame as she leans against the angel, and she raises a hand to her ear before drawing the image of a house in the air between them; sounds like home.
    [Fettina's Place]

"Home? Sounds like your home?" Fettina leans forward, propping her chin on Cantie's shoulder and gazing up. "I don't think you've told me much about yours either."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

[Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

"It might be." Wenomir runs his hand through Cass' hair in thought. "I don't want to tell you what you should do with those memories. But I feel like hiding them in the back of your head and pretending they're not there won't work in the long run."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Cass' Tower - Gifts]

Electra's smile at Cass goes to one of dumbfounded surprise in the blink of an eye as the cat speaks. There's embarassment there, too, subtle at first, but her cheeks go quite red quickly. She didn't realize the cat could talk, much less was sentient. And that line about "mortals". Something's definitely not right here, but at the moment, she's a bit too startled to catch it completely.

"I-uh...." Is all she manages to stammer for a moment, red-faced, and a second thought tumbles out before she really has time to filter it. "M-maybe I should go?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

There is a countersign to Ithuriel, from little Zane, but no other acknowledgement is made.
    As things should be.
    Justified paranoia so young.

Eliza will keep everyone drilled into the more unfortunate and depressing topic at hand.
    Of course Ambriel is here to help move them along, but at least everyone is acting like there's a point and possibility to a good outcome to this.
    Because of 'the death goddess thing'.
    "Given the situation...is it even possible for us to be safe somewhere? I've only got the family stories to go on here, Zane has even less, but we've seen what happens when we're just...out there. There are a lot of dead people-"
    Don't think about mother and father
    "-and the only other person who is maybe familiar we haven't heard from in weeks. Aunt Delilah probably isn't alive anymore either."
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

25. - Top - End - #55

Ithuriel's Demiplane

Oh, that's right. Other people don't consider phrases like 'death goddess' as harmless and innocuous as the MagClones do, huh? We probably should be more careful about that sort of thing, I guess. To other people, death means a lot more than just 'that thing that happens when you lose a clone' or 'another one of Magtok's catgirlfriends.'

"Do you have any way to get in touch with Aunt Delilah, in case she isn't? I have a lot of brothers with nothing better to do than get on each other's nerves; they could probably find her and let her know you're both okay here. One of them's even a wizard, so he's usually got all kinds of answers for problems like this." Needs aside, it'd be a much more productive use of Faction's time than what they're doing now. All that plotting for some Skyside invasion is them just pretending they've still got some big ambitious goal to chase after; I don't think the attack's ever going to even happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

26. - Top - End - #56

[Jace’s Place]

"Inside has lots of unusual,"
    Khannie agrees. "I got some gems when I was... umm... adventuring. But no candles. What counts as an implement? Is..."

Her eyes suddenly light up!

"Is that like a wizard staff? Is a wizard staff an implement that would be so cool!"

Careful Khannie.

While wizard staffs are cool, they can be difficult to carry around with you since they're so big.

And they require you to make YOU SHALL NOT PASS references on a regular basis.

It's part of the ritual to keep them imbued with magic.

Probably.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

The pocket dragon shakes his head.
    ”I said implements to make a magic circle, Khannie. I’m talking about chalk. Or paint. And one of those things you put chalk in to make a perfect circle. What are those called?” Remembering words for things from classrooms he’s never been in is hard.
    ”Sorcerers don’t use staves or books or materials to cast, Khannie. You cast magic by channeling your bloodline. It doesn’t even have to be HOT BLOOD but that helps.” Zebes poses with a claw covering half his face.

28. - Top - End - #58

[Jace’s Place]

"I don't get that one," Khannie says in reply to Zebes' obvious reference, a puzzled expression creeping across her face.

When Zebes does stuff like that it always means something.

She just isn't clear on what it's about this time.

"Do you mean a compass? The little V-shaped thingy with the pointy part on one end and the pencil holder on the other?" Khannie asks. "I think I have one of those in my school supplies. We used them in one of my math classes."

Learning about geometry!

Mostly it just involved drawing different sorts of shapes with a straight edge.

Khannie isn't old enough to get into geometric proofs, not yet.

She hops off her bed and starts digging through her desk, quickly retrieving a pretty basic protractor and compass set.

"Like these? How big does the circle have to be? This one only makes small circles," she explains, twisting the little wheel on the compass until the two points are as wide as they can get.

Which is about twelve inches.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace’s Place

Zebes nods, ignoring Khannie’s confusion.
    ”It needs to be big enough for you to sit or stand in. Which would have been smaller a few months ago but now it’s going to need to be pretty big. This is a beginner’s ritual though so you can probably wing it.”
    He leans in really close, his snout almost touching her head as he whispers into her ear.
    ”Want my advice on getting someone who’ll really help you out? Bring bacon...”

30. - Top - End - #60

[Jace’s Place]

"Where can I find a bigger compass, though?" Khannie wonders aloud. "And a pencil won't be any good for drawing on the grass."

All fine points!

"Maybe we need to go to the store and buy a jumbo compass and some paint?"

There MUST be a magic store that sells over-sized art equipment for drawing sacred geometry.

Wouldn't want to accidentally summon Santa instead of Satan, after all.

As Khannie begins gathering her things for what will no doubt be a grand adventure, she pauses briefly and gives Zebes an appraising look.

"Are you just saying I should get bacon so you can eat it while I'm not looking?"

She's a shrewd one.