New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Home 25: Still making mortgage payments

Jace’s Place

Zebes tilts his head.
    ”Well there’s the little shop on Hodgepodge that Jace gets his materials from for the stand.” He scowls.
    ”And no, I’m saying it because bacon is one of the best things to bribe a small carnivorous animal with. Like if you get a dog or a lizard or a weasel or a sable or a fox.” he says indignantly.
    ”And if you get a turtle or a fruit bat then I will eat it.”
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

"Then we should go there," Khannie says as she begins gathering her things.

This is totally it!

A new adventure!

However...

"We'll need to tell daddy where we're going. And ask for permission, I guess."

Khannie appears to have learned her lesson on that front.

"Are people allowed to get bats for familiars?" Khannie wonders aloud as she heads down the stairs. "And what do I have to do to get the right feets? Having a familiar that's at least almost as cool as you would be cool."

So cool.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

Zebes looks puzzled.
    ”I mean yeah. You can get otters and puffins and octopi and scorpions and Cayhounds. Why not a bat?” The best part about having a bat familiar is that they can hang from the brim of your big hat. Which you obviously have, as a spell caster.
    ”Don’t worry about the feats. They happen or they don’t. You don’t really control that. Besides, you’re not going to want to retire your first familiar so fast, are you? Jace had Amarid for years before he had me to look after him.”

Jace is downstairs, sitting at the broad center table while he weaves patterns of energy into a small stone. He’s busy mumbling some musical piece about time.

4. - Top - End - #64

[Jace’s Place]

Okay.

This is it.

Time to ask for permission!

Khannie stops about half way down the stairs and leans over the hand, rail to peer at her father from above.

"Hey daddy? Can me and Zebes go to the magic store to buy magic stuff so I can summon a familiar?" she asks.

Please say yes.

Please say YES!

Please please please!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

Jace barely looks up at this one.
    ”Huh? Yeah, Zebes and I already talked about this. You’re supposed to do it alone but Zebes shouldn’t influence anything. Have fun, sweetie. Don’t come back with a giant arthropod.”
    Why didn’t you tell her we already- you just wanted to make her ask for permission didn’t you?

Weren’t you the one who said she has to get used to doing that?
    ”Also it’s ‘Zebes and I,’ Khannie. Don’t let your teachers catch you saying that.”

6. - Top - End - #66

[Jace’s Place]

"They had a picture of a giant pillbug that lives in the ocean in one of my school books. It looked weird," Khannie reports.

What if she gets one of those?

Would daddy be mad?

How is she supposed to make sure she doesn't get a giant bug?

Honestly she has no idea.

And then?

She beams when she gets permission.

"Okay, daddy, I love you we'll be back later with stuff for circles!"

And then she hopes down the remaining stairs and out the door she goes. The crisp autumn sun feels nice on her ears.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace's Place, later]

Some time after leaving, Khannie and Zebes return with their goods.
    "Okay, so you're going to want to make your circle in a spot that's open. Which we have. You're also going to want to make sure the candles are secure so they don't fall over and light the yard on fire. Everything else is kind of up to you. You gotta feel the universe and stuff." explains the dragon. He can feel that Jace wants to be there for this, but it's very important that Khannie do this on her own.

8. - Top - End - #68

[Jace's Place, later]

"Okay. I got this," Khannie insists.

Then?

It's time to start.

First?

Attach the brush to the giant compass.

Then?

Dip the brush in the paint and draw the big circle.

Then?

Place the candles and light them!

Then... uh...

Reach out to the cosmos? Khannie can kind of feel... something. She isn't sure if it's her magic doing something or if she's hungry.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace’s Place

Zebes nods. He seems to be humming something. And one of his eyes just happens to be tinted blue for some reason. He doesn’t do much, save shoo away a squirrel that arrives on the scene to bury acorns and not answering a magical call.
    Just humming. Definitely not allowing his boss to watch the proceedings from closer than the kitchen window.
    I know you’re out there, somewhere out there...

10. - Top - End - #70

[Jace's Place]

That poor squirrel.

Maybe it wanted to bury an acorn AND become a familiar?

Did you ever consider that, Zebes?

No. No you didn't.

BUT!

That hardly matters now. Because something will show up eventually, right? That's how this stuff works.

Yes.

...eventually. Very, very eventually.

Khannie's been sitting out there on the lawn for about an hour now, and the candles are starting to burn low. She gives a little sigh, blinking heavily to keep her eyes open. This is sooooo boooooring! Is it normal for it to take so long? Why didn't she get warned ahead of time? Focusing on her magic FOREVER is hard! That weird twisty, tuggy feeling inside her has been building the whole time, so she's pretty sure that something is happening. She just wishes it would happen faster!

"Pssst!" comes a little sing-songy voice from behind Khannie. "What are you lookin' at so intenterly?"

"I've been casting a spell to call a familiar," Khannie replies without glancing up from the candle. "And I'm trying to focus by watching that candle melt."

"Oooh, that's a bright plan y'got! You mind if I do some watchin' too?" the little sing-songy voice asks.

"Umm... sure, I guess that's okay?" Khannie replies.

"Glitter and sparkles, that's great! I never watched a candle melt a'for," the sing-songy voice replies.

Khannie feels a small weight settle down in the grass next to her, but she's still pretty busy watching that candle melt.

Zebes and Jace will have a pretty great view of the colorful little faerie dragon that just landed in the circle with Khannie.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

Jace snickers. Zebes also snickers. Really they do it at precisely the same time but it’s quite impossible to know that with their physical different locations.
    Ye gods, she’s adorable.
    Should we...tell them?
    Huh? Hell no. This is the exact kind of story I’m going to tell people when she’s seventeen and make her embarrassed.

12. - Top - End - #72

[Jace’s Place]

Eventually the candle burns low and gutters out, the twisty tuggy feeling inside Khannie vanishing along with the flame.

She heaves a sigh.

"I guess it didn't work," Khannie laments. "A whole hour and no familiars."

"Aaww, don't feel bad! Extra-sparkly magic is super DUPER hard," the fairy dragon says. "But you must be great ant the sparkles since you're purple."

Khannie isn't sure what being purple has to do with anything, so she just gives the cat-sized dragon an inquisitive look.

"Well... all this sitting around being bored made me hungry. Do you want a peanut butter and honey sandwich?" Khannie asks.

"Oooh! I dunno what peanuts butters is but I DO like honey! It's all sticky and sweet and gold and glittery!" the dragon replies. "Onward!"

Khannie stoops down and picks up the cat-sized critter, flops its front paws over her shoulder, and starts heading for the house.

"Weeeeee! Free rides!"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

Khannie will enter the kitchen through the sliding door and find that Jace has already gotten supplies out for her, because he definitely wasn’t eavesdropping or anything.
    ”Hello, Khannie. Who’s your friend?” he asks innocently.
    Boss, your supervillain is showing.
    Hush you, I made a promise that I would not interfere. The fact that this will result in something I will viciously Dad at her over for years is a happy accident resulting from that promise.

Zebes snickers again, shutting the door behind him with a wave of his wing.

14. - Top - End - #74

[Jace’s Place]

"Hey daddy, I dunno. She wanted to know if she could watch the candles melt with me," Khannie replies, her tone dejected. "No familiars ever showed up."

"Watching a candle melt was okay but I don't think I'd do it again," the fairy dragon muses. "HAHAHAH! Looket that! Yer honey's inside a tiny see-through bear!"

The fairy dragon wriggles in Khannie's grip, managing to pull free so she can leap onto the counter rather deftly. She lowers herself until her chin is less than an inch from the top of the counter and reeeeeaches out toward the honey-bear with one paw-

-and swats it.

bap!

The honey bear falls over. The dragon prods at it a few more times. "Whatsdis made of? It ain't birdsmacksem since it's not hard."

Khannie wrinkles her nose at the dragon and picks up the honey bear. "Do you mean glass? Like what the sliding door is made of?"

"Yeah!" the dragon replies brightly. "Birdsmacksem!"

"This thing's made of plastic so you can squeeze it, see?"
    Khannie explains as she squeezes the honey onto a slice of bread.

The sweet, golden deliciousness flows smoothly from bear for a few seconds-
    -then makes some sputtering noises.

The dragon begins laughing raucously at the sound.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

Jace and Zebes watch the proceedings with the look of people who are biting their lip and trying not to laugh as they hold in their commentary.
    So how long are you betting it’s going to take her to figure it out?
    I’m thinking after the sandwich but before bed. An hour, tops?
    I was thinking after making the sandwich but before eating it.
    Wanna bet? Loser has to be the one to finally cave and get Pokémon pants.
    Deal.

16. - Top - End - #76

[Jace’s Place]

And so, Khannie makes some peanut butter and honey sandwiches! Every now and again the tiny dragon is distracted by some new shiny object. She's never been in a house before and that spoon she just pilfered from the sink is real neat. She's done her best to polish it and is now making faces at herself via the back of the spoon.

Soon enough, half a sandwich is scooted toward the dragon.

She eyes it suspiciously for a few moments. "What's all this spongy stuff, then?" she asks, poking at the bread.

"That's bread, you put the honey and the peanut butter on it so everything stays together," Khannie explains.

The dragon ogles it a few seconds further, opens her mouth, and takes a bite out of the sandwich. Her eyes immediately flutter half-way closed. "Ooo, iff guud..."

What follows is the hilarious scene of a fairy dragon trying to chew and swallow a mouth full of bread, honey, and peanut butter.

"Ah tink ah lub penubbubbah..."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace’s Place

Jace and Zebes nods when Khannie looks at them. This is a very serious manner.
    ”So how did it feel, Khannie? Did you feel anything?” Zebes asks conversationally.
    Shush you! You influence anything and the bet doesn’t count! Which would be a shame. He wants to see a Dragonite wearing overalls.

18. - Top - End - #78

[Jace’s Place]

The fairy dragon is devouring her half of the sandwich pretty quickly. Considering how small she is, that's actually pretty impressive. And maybe slightly frightening?

"Well, I felt this weird twisty, tuggy feeling while I was doing the ritual,"
    Khannie says as the dragon finishes off her half of the sandwich and begins stalking toward Khannie's. Khannie picks up the sandwhich right as the dragon pounces. Khannie takes a bite of sandwich. The dragon gets a face-full of plate. "But once the candles burned out the feeling went away. Maybe I did it wrong?"

That must be it.

If she had done it RIGHT then surely a familiar would have shown up.

Like a bird, or a squirrel, or maybe a frog.

She spares a glance at the fairy dragon, who gives her the best adorable animals eyes that can be mustered. Khannie rips off a piece of her sandwich and gives it to the dragon, who greedily devours it.

The spell wouldn't have ever attracted a cool dragon like Zebes, though, since she doesn't have the right feets. Her new friend must have just smelled the burning candles and got curious.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace’s Place

The pair nod again. Looks like Zebes might be losing. Of course, if Khannie doesn’t figure it out before going to bed neither of them win.
    ”I see. So where are you from, Miss...?” Jace asks the fairy dragon.
    At around the same time, Commissar starts sniffing around the scene, having smelled food.

20. - Top - End - #80

[Jace’s Place]

In response to Jace's inquiry, the little dragon explains exactly where she came from.

While her mouth is full of bread, honey, and peanut-butter.

Absolutely none of the words are comprehensible.

And then a dog!

"Hi Commissar,"
    Khannie says, giving a little wave.

She could CERTAINLY sound more enthused.

But...

Try as she might, she still feels more than a little resentment toward pokemon for... existing.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

Be careful, Khannie. If you go back to being mean to him Anubis might try to teach you a lesson again.
    Commissar trots up to the group, hopping up to put his paws on the end of the table. Jace opens his mouth to tell him off but decides not to when the dog starts sniffing at the fairy dragon instead of snatching food.
    After several seconds of sniffing he turns his head towards Khannie.
    ”Khannie got new Little-Boss?” he asks, again proving that Khannie is the only person whose name he remembers.

22. - Top - End - #82

[Jace's Place]

As soon as the houndy pokemon gets up in the fairy dragon's personal space, she poofs herself up, spreads her wings, and makes the most intimidating hissing noise she can manage. If that doesn't work, she poofs a little cloud of rainbow colored glitter into Commissar's face before vanishing from sight.

The glitter isn't harmful, really. But there's a pretty good chance that Commissar will suddenly feel pretty loopy as a result.

Not quite 'He hurt himself in his confusion!' loopy. More like euphoric and dizzy and really disinclined toward eating fairy dragons.

"Ah!" Khannie gasps as the nonsense goes down. "That's just Commissar, daddy's pet dog. He won't hurt you... um... friend?"

No reply from the dragon.

Though there IS a thump from on top a nearby cupboard, likely from the invisible creature bumping into something.

Hmm. Might not have been too much of a stretch that the wild fairy dragon would react poorly to a dog.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace’s Place

Poor Commissar. In mere moments he’s collapsed to the ground whimpering with legs that refuse to stick to the ground for some reason. Maybe it would help if the ground would agree on where it was.
    ”Oof. Fairy dragon breath. You’ll be okay, buddy. It doesn’t last too long. Please don’t puke. Jace would very much like to not clean that up.
    Luckily the only thing on top of the cupboard is dust, the occasional spider, and a strand of last year’s Thanksmas tinsel.

24. - Top - End - #84

[Jace’s Place]

Khannie scrambles up onto the counter so she can peer up to the top of the cupboards. She's still isn't THAT tall, so using her tip-toes is required here.

"It's okay friend, Commissar won't hurt you," she says reassuringly.

"Yeah, 'cuz I glittered him! Dogs are scary!" the invisible dragon retorts.

Khannie looks to Jace helplessly.

What should she do!

How is she supposed to convince her new friend that Commissar isn't dangerous?

Because she has no idea!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

”Commissar isn’t just a dog. He’s a Pokémon. And a talking one at that. So really he’s almost like a person who looks like a dog.” And also spits fire. And does almost everything a dog does.
    Zebes flaps his way to the top of the cupboards.
    ”He’s lived here for a year now and he hasn’t tried to eat me once.” Zebes assures her.

26. - Top - End - #86

[Jace’s Place]

"...what's a pokemon?" the fairy dragon asks.

"They're... umm... like me? I'm a pokemon," Khannie explains poorly.

"I thought you were a goblin!" the invisible dragon retorts.

Khannie wrinkles her nose at that. "No, goblins are Dark/Ground type humans. I'm Normal/Ghost."

"Nuh, uh! Goblins are tricksy fairys what live in the woods. They ain't humans, they play pranks on humans!" the dragon insists.

Well.

This first meeting is proving to be really educational for everyone involved.

"You sure he won't try to eat me?" the dragon asks of Zebes cautiously.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace’s Place

I think the dragon has you dead to rights, Khannie. Goblins must be Dark/Fairy type.
    Zebes nods to the other dragon.
    ”He only really eats things that are in his bowl. Or that Jace gives him. He doesn’t hunt.” he assures her.

28. - Top - End - #88

[Jace’s Place]

The fairy dragon slooooowly fades back into view. She's still giving Commissar the stink-eye, though.

"What about you, huh?" she asks, looking Zebes up and down. "You're no fairy dragon and you ain't got one of them stingy thingers, either."

She's probably referring to the ubiquitous psuedodragon stinger.

Maybe she hasn't even seen a pocket-dragon before?

That's certainly a possibility.

Khannie, meanwhile, tugs on Jace's arm.

"Hey daddy? When Zebes feels afraid do you feel afraid, too?" she asks.

Uh oh.

She might have noticed an empathic bond when the fairy dragon got spooked.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jace’s Place]

Zebes flicks his little spaded tail, where a stinger is not.
    ”Nope. I’m a pocket dragon. Which is like a tidepool dragon or a pseudodragon or a fairy dragon or a calligraphy dragon (did you know they have those?) only I’m a little more like the big ones than you all are. It’s kind of arbitrary really.”

Jace nods to Khannie with a smile. The bets are off when she starts asking direct questions. And Commissar did interrupt the natural course of the night anyway.
    ”Yeah, that’s called an empathic bond, Khannie. Like the Parental Bond only for emotions. I also feel when he’s hungry, annoyed, or more snarky than usual.” he explains gently.

30. - Top - End - #90

[Jace’s Place]

"Calligraphy dragon?" she echos. "Sounds like a nerd."

It totally sounds like a nerd. She's absolutely right.

A look of dawning recognition slowly spreads across Khannie's face.

"Then it worked..." she mutters.

"It WORKED!"
    louder, this time, making the little fairy dragon jump in surprise. "That means you're my familiar!"

"What's a familiar?"
    the dragon in question inquires.

Hmm.

You would think the ritual would fill in the details but apparently not.

"Zebes, you said I didn't have the right feets to get a dragon!" Khannie huffs. She's trying hard to sound upset but she isn't doing a very good job of it.