New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Home 25: Still making mortgage payments

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Ithuriel's Demiplane]

"I-I've been having inappropriate thoughts about a woman!" she blurts out, restraining herself just long enough to make sure the kids are out of earshot.
    Ambriel pulls back, staring blankly at her for a moment or two in confusion. She...what? About...what?

"Well if you're only just discovering your latent bi or pansexuality, congrats on your first step out of the closet? Is this a specific woman, or women in general?" he asks, trying so very hard to keep an even tone and his emotions in check. His original response was going to be something along the lines of telling her that her inappropriate feelings can screw off because we're in crisis mode right now and she needs to bottle those thoughts up and save them for when children's lives aren't in jeopardy, but that idea was vetoed pretty swiftly. That kind of animosity isn't going to help us. Repressing things like that is how you get Magtoks.

...wait a second. Hold on, please don't read anything into that last sentence; I didn't mean it that way. No, really, Magtok (and Ambriel by proxy) are not repressing those kinds of feelings. Shut up, no they aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #152
    Halfling in the Playground

[Spako's Tower]

"W-well no, summoning a deity would just be rude. Uh, wouldn't it? I-I mean, I didn't even know you- uh, that you could do that. I-I was more thinking going and visiting them wherever they live?"

Sylvess pauses and raises a claw awkwardly.

"Uh, gods still live somewhere, r-right? I mean they must do, right? I-I've just never really thought about how you go visit a god, b-but it must be possible! I imagine they have other gods round as guests all the time!"

Somebody really hasn't thought this through.

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

A less hostile response than feared. A slightly more confusing response than hoped for. Still good enough for Ambriel to now receive proper hugging. Which from Ithuriel involves also picking him up and maybe crushing him very slightly in the process.

"A woman. I think. I don't know. I've never really had to-" Ithuriel coughs, "Do you remember how I've joked about having a thing for wings before? Well, maybe it's not just a joke? She's a vampire, she might as well be an angel, and she has such beautiful wings like- oh, goodness, just listen to me." Ithuriel groans and slaps her forehead lightly. "Like meeting a kindred spirit or something. It sounds so stupid."

Are you helping with this rambling at all, Ithuriel? I don't think you're helping.

"...mostly I just feel very confused. And even the thought of- it'd feel dishonest to even keep some stupid thoughts from you. So I just wanted to confide in you and ask your advice, I guess? You're not that Magtok now, but you've known what it was like when he was chasing half a dozen different people at once. How do you deal with thoughts about other people? How do you make them go away?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Spako’s Tower

Spako flips through the book, showing Sylvess a series of very basic diagrams.
    ”No, apparently this one does house calls. I guess being a god of farms having to go to a temple would defeat the purpose. So...yeah. That’s something I could probably do in half an hour, actually. It’s a pretty basic thing, really.” It probably would be bad if a farm god had a very elaborate process to speak to.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #154

Ithuriel's Demiplane

Ambriel sighs. Magtok talk, huh? Figures this conversation would go from bad to immediately worse. Well fine, let's get this over with. Let's push through and get everything out of the way so we can go back to not talking about him again.

"Magtok's usual excuse was that only one clone would be chasing each individual catgirl, Remnant officer, deity, or shapeshifter. It was a BS excuse because at the end of the day most of us would dump our share of memories into the same collective databanks, so everyone would know which catgirl, Remnant officer, deity, or shapeshifter is the best kisser," Ambriel explains. In his haste to throw Magtok under a bridge, however, he notices too late that he's left himself wide open for a devastating counter-attack, so he quickly rushes to patch up the vulnerability before Ithuriel can find the breach in his defenses.

"I was never a part of that because we hooked up in a demiplane with no wi-fi, so I just never hooked back up to the network after and let them seethe." Okay, good, there we go. Hole's patched up, Ithuriel can't turn the tables on Ambriel now.

"Anyway, since none of that is really relevant here, I'll just skip ahead to my best advice, which is to just not force it. You're going to have thoughts about other people, brains just do that. Accepting that weird lustful thoughts will just show up unannounced sometimes will make it easier to laugh them off and move on. Do you think healthy couples don't think about other people? Of course they do, they just love each other and don't act on those thoughts. I have it on good authority that Sakura teases Adir about how his brother's rack is bigger every family get-together, but they're still the Nexus's most famous power couple." Actually, Ambriel has absolutely nothing to back up this claim and his 'reputable source' on this information was from the comments of an unrelated NexTube video. It sounds believable enough though, right? I could totally see Sakura doing that. In fact, I'm making it my new head-canon and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

"Believe me, forcing thoughts to go away is not the way to go. Magtok represses everything, and look where it's gotten him. He's more psychological scar tissue than man; it's gross." It is gross, isn't it?
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2019-12-12 at 04:33 AM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Feelings with Fayyaad]

Electra nods.

"Skyside is...not really my first choice. I'm pretty sure if I show my face there I'm going to attract attention after that business with Kirk and KABAL," she says, her expression one of annoyance, "But maybe there's more in Inside I haven't seen."

[Cass' Tower - Gifts]

Electra smiles and gestures to the box.

"Go ahead, I want to see what you think."

The box is a simple, dark blue affair, tied with a white ribbon. Inside, placed gently on a cushion of tissue paper, is what is best described as a blank doll. Featureless, faceless, and sculpted out of what seems to be ivory, or perhaps bone of some sort, with tiny runes inscribed into where the face should be, the chest, the palms of the hands, and the feet. Next to the doll is a platinum ring, also inscribed with countless tiny runes, held on a twist of soft cloth. Below the ring is a scroll, tied with a dark ribbon. Instructions perhaps? The runes are quite obviously magical in nature; some form of both transmutation and animation magic, though their intricacy and size may make deciphering their full function difficult without a magnifying glass of some kind.

Electra waits to see Cass' reaction, hoping that she's guessed correctly.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

[Feelings with Fayyaad]

"I'm fairly sure people who have lived her far longer than we have still haven't seen all of Inside," Fayyaad notes, smiling. He glances at his now empty bottle, then the fridge. "And you're right about Skyside. MERC aren't welcome there. There's not much to do but keep looking, I suppose. Antique stores and similar might hold something too."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-12-12 at 08:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157

[Spako's Tower]

"W-well surely a farm god isn't the smite-y sort, right? I mean, a-as long as we're not, um, anti-farm. A-and I only ever eat unfarmed cows, or pay for the cow i-in advance, so we should be, um, fine? S-so, uh, why not?" Sylvess may be slightly too trusting here.

But Spako will keep him safe, right?

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

He makes it all sounds so simple, doesn't he? Though in fairness, it is pretty good advice. "There's- there's a lot to unpack there, Wings." Ithuriel rubs her forehead. "You know how impulsive I can be. I mean I basically kidnapped you the first time I brought you here. Next to no warning, no way out, it was very...spur of the moment." She sighs and sits down right there in the snow. "Do you trust me to have those kind of thoughts and not do something stupid? Because I don't know if I trust myself."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spako’s Tower]

Spako slumps, defeated. Sylvess really isn’t going to stop with this, is he?
    ”Ack, fine. Come up to the lab, then. Since I assume you want to do this now?”
    Sylvess surely wouldn’t want to do it anything other than now.

9. - Top - End - #159

Ithuriel's Demiplane

"You spoke to this vampire with angel wings without tearing her clothes off, didn't you?" Ambriel counters defiantly. "Because that's what it sounds like you were saying earlier. You met someone who ticked all of your boxes, and in the heat of the moment, when you weren't thinking, when you hadn't had time to really worry about everything that could go wrong, you didn't drag her back here and ravish her. Was there anything special about last time that stopped you, something that might not come up the next time you meet someone with wings, or are you just being hard on yourself and assuming the worst because you used to be a bad person and you're used to expecting bad things from yourself?" He adds, very obviously dipping into his own experience as a Magtok there.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

Fine food isn't something Wenomir smells terribly often. It's not something he expected to smell here, for certain. He steps behind Cass and peers into the kitchen himself, not certain what to expect now either.
    [Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

The two of them will find Cass' kitchen table simply set with a pair of wide, deep plates and a water glass and a wine glass each. Between the two plates is a heavy glazed bowl heaped with steaming, glossy egg noodles, a jug of water, and a bottle of cider. On the stove, a chicken stew simmers pleasantly away in a large dutch oven. Judging from the smell in the room, it's been on there a while - possibly even hours.

Cass gives out a low whistle.
    "She used time magic to do all this, while we were upstairs talking. Then put all of this in stasis, which didn't break until I came downstairs," she whispers, sounding appreciative - and a little awed.

She looks up at Wenomir. "Would you... uh... stay for lunch?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Cass' Tower - Gifts]

Electra smiles and gestures to the box.

"Go ahead, I want to see what you think."

The box is a simple, dark blue affair, tied with a white ribbon. Inside, placed gently on a cushion of tissue paper, is what is best described as a blank doll. Featureless, faceless, and sculpted out of what seems to be ivory, or perhaps bone of some sort, with tiny runes inscribed into where the face should be, the chest, the palms of the hands, and the feet. Next to the doll is a platinum ring, also inscribed with countless tiny runes, held on a twist of soft cloth. Below the ring is a scroll, tied with a dark ribbon. Instructions perhaps? The runes are quite obviously magical in nature; some form of both transmutation and animation magic, though their intricacy and size may make deciphering their full function difficult without a magnifying glass of some kind.

Electra waits to see Cass' reaction, hoping that she's guessed correctly.
    [Cass' Tower - Gifts]

Cass opens the box, her smile turning into an expression of curious puzzlement as she carefully lifts out what's inside.
    "A doll?" She asks, sounding slightly confused, as she places the doll carefully back down and picks out the ring, holding it up to the light a little to examine it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Cass' Tower - Gifts]

Electra smiles mysteriously.

"It's....a little more than that. You might want to have a look at the scroll."

The ring, when Cass picks it up, seems to almost hum with ingrained magic. The tiny runes shimmer ever so slightly. A closer inspection reveals some of the same sorts of magic runes that are on the doll, along with what might be runes that link the ring's magic to something else. There's also some telepathic, or perhaps, telekinetic magic here, but it's hard to tell how any of it ties together.

If Cass takes Electra's suggestion, the scroll will provide the missing link. The doll itself is a tiny golem, exquisitely made, and quite special. The ring is a control device for the doll. It allows the wearer to not only control the doll's movements, but also to share senses with it, and change its form to one the wearer desires, with a few restrictions (mostly that the form needs to be humanoid, and any special features, like wings or so forth, are merely decoration), and albeit, at the doll's size. The ring requires the wearer to attune to it, after which, the doll can be controlled by thoughts, and senses shared whenever the wearer desires. The doll can also be set tasks mentally, which it will carry out to the best of its abilities without further input from the ring-wearer. Ending attunment to the ring makes the doll inert once more. An odd, but interesting device.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

[Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

Wenomir does look impressed at the sight of all this. So much magic, just to cook a meal quickly? Almost as if she were showing off. Which the warrior deep down knows he can hardly fault others for.

"I believe I will. It'd be just plain rude not to after so much effort," he says with a smile.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #163

[Saunders Residence]

Melissa takes a deep breath.

It's dark out. And snowing a little bit. Which is weird.

Hadn't it been early September when all the goblins invaded Plothook Elementary School? So why is there Thanksmas stuff up everywhere? She can see the tree through their big front window, all lit up with lights and baubles and those goofy gingerbread people they always made together.

That makes her heart sink a little.

She and Isaac and mom always ALWAYS made the gingerbread people together. It was one of the first things they did after the tree was put up!

But there they are.

Hanging on the tree.

And she didn't get to help at all.

Maybe... maybe she had been gone for months? It had only felt like a few hours while she was lost in that spooky forest, but maybe time got mixed up? Like in the story of Rip Van Winkle. Or the one about the kids the witch and the magical closet! That must have been it. Her parents have probably been worried sick about her. Her brother, too.

Melissa runs her hands along her dress again. It's a weird dress. Mostly black with a little bit of white on it. All frilly with that weird swirly blue broach right under her chin. She's been wearing it every time she made herself look human again. It makes her look like one of those magical girls from Isaac's dumb black and white comic books. She glances back at the Y-shaped cat tail sticking out from under the dress. She tries to curl it around her left leg a little. Maybe mom and dad won't notice it. They hadn't ever noticed Isaac's fat elephant butt, so maybe she could hide a kitty tail, too?

She knows mom and dad wish their kids were normal. Maybe they should have gone to that school for normal kids instead of the one for magic kids? What was it called? Melissa can't remember.

Another deep breath, another straightening of her dress, then she knocks on the door.

A few moments later it opens up, flooding the night with warm light and the smells of Thanksmas.

"Daddy!" Melissa exclaims, darting forward and wrapping her arms around her father's legs. "I'm sorry I was gone so long it wasn't my fault it was that stupid cat who did it!" she loudly insists.

Her dad seems... hesitant? "Do I... do I know you, kiddo?" he asks as he cautiously steps away.

Melissa looks up at her father, befuddled. "That isn't funny dad. It's me, Melissa. I got lost in a creepy forest but I got away and now I'm home."

The look of confusion on her father's face doesn't go away, but concern joins it. "Why don't you come inside and sit on the couch, kiddo."

"Who's at the door, Henry?" comes mom's voice from the kitchen.

"Some lost little girl, she seems really confused," dad calls back. "Give Intersection a call. Have them send some officers over. Maybe there's been a missing persons report?"

"I'm not a lost little girl!" Melissa exclaims, stomping one foot on the floor. She thrusts an arm toward a particular ornament hanging on the Thanksmas tree. "Look, my picture is right-"

A closer look. Something is missing from the little picture-frame ornament.

That something is her.

"-there... No... no no that isn't right, I was in that picture. I was giving Isaac bunny ears..." she mutters.

Dad continues to look more and more concerned. "Hey, kiddo, everything is going to be fine, okay? Why don't you come sit down on the couch and Sara will get you some hot cho-"

"NO! This is all WRONG!" Melissa shouts, a few stray tongues of blue faerie fire licking along her hands and frizzed up tail. "I'll PROVE that this is my house and that you're my dad!"

And then, quick as a shadow, she spins on her heel and goes running up the stairs! Up the stairs, down the hallway, to the door right after the bathroom, and she yanks it open. "Ha! SEE!"

Melissa's look of triumph slowly wilts to confusion.

Then decays from confusion to pain.

Then from pain to sorrow.

She slumps against the door-frame, face buried in her hands, as she slides down the floor weeping.

Her room is gone.

There's nothing in there but boxes, dust, and some old unused exercise equipment.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

There is, after a few moments, someone sitting down next to her. Waving off his parents, Isaac glances down at the girl. And the dress. And the tail poking out of it. And that vague, subtle, completely undefined feeling that he sometimes gets from Lucas.
    "So. Faerie stuff, huh?" he asks cautiously. He heard yelling. He could practically feel trouble brewing. And now here it is.
    It's always faerie stuff with his problems nowadays. That or elephant things. But those haven't been a problem for years outside of clothes shopping.

15. - Top - End - #165

[Saunders Residence]

"Stupid faerie stuff," Melissa confirms. She snorts, rubbing her arm across her face and coming away with tears and snot.

Gross.

"You probably don't remember either, do you Isaac?" she asks, looking up at her brother. Then her brow knits in confusion. "You look older. And your stupid butt looks bigger."

She buries her face in her arms again, her voice muffled when she speaks.

"Maybe you'll get as fat as an elephant, too."

Honestly elephants aren't that fat.

They're just big.

But Melissa is being cross and contrary, which isn't anything new for her. Not that Isaac would remember.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac twitches. Then he silently takes the little girl by the hand with a small, "Come on." Waving off his parents again, he leads her into his basement room. It's actually even more cluttered now. Series Isaac was just starting on his shelf are now many, many volumes long. As well as a number of very large sketches of himself, a goblin, one very fat elephant monk, and a weird cow-lamb-thing. He snaps his fingers, and Melissa might feel a slight pressure in her ears as force slams around the room.
    "Ok so like, one, no, I don't remember. Two, elephants aren't fat. Usually. Three, you should probably start explaining."

17. - Top - End - #167

[Saunders Residence]

"We aren't going into your creeping dungeon room, are we?" Melissa asks hesitantly. "It smells weird down there."

Smells like nerds!

She blecks at the rows and rows of comic books, the general messiness.

"Oh gosh you got even more lame comics. How can someone with cool magic powers like those dumb things so much?" she laments.

If only her brother were cool! Her big brother would be so much cooler than the losers in most of those comics if only he weren't so lame!

"Is that what Lucas really looks like?" she asks curiously. "You guys wouldn't ever show me anything even though I promised not to tell mom about your tail who's that goblin?"

A child with all the questions, here.

She jumps a little when the walls go up, her forked tail frizzing.

"One I could have guessed that; my room and pictures disappeared!"
    Melissa shoots back. "Two they're fat when they're you and three my school got wrecked by dreamlanders."

She crosses her arms and huffs a bit. After a few seconds her desire to fix whatever has happened outweighs her contrarian nature. "Okay, so there was this evil cat sith named Asreal like Gargamel's cat from the Smurfs? He must have gobbled up my best friend Sophie because she attacked me as this GIANT CAT and I kicked her right in her dumb face. But that guy Wenomir from VIGIL was there and he got Sophie off me and she pretended to be good but as soon as mister Wenomir started fighting this GIANT boogie Sophie gobbled me up, too. But then I came back as a cat too but I was a nekomata like in that one stupid comic of yours SHUT UP I only read it once and it was dumb!"

She's very insistent that manga is terrible.

"Then this crazy guy with a folding chair tried to club me to death and there was a big fight and I thought it was going to be okay but it wasn't so I ran into the Dreamlands and got lost in this weird forest and met this deer girl and we had an adventure until her parents found us and brought us back to the Waking World then I came home and now I'm here and how come your room STILL smells like cottage cheese?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

”It smells because it’s a basement and also I sweat in the summer and it has terrible ventilation.
    And no, Lucas isn’t an elephant. That’s the Grandmaster. And next to that it Maph’Tey. You’ll know him from the bells and his stupid King Crimson routine. Never trust him.”
    Isaac does a wonderful job playing dumb for once.
    Isaac frowns, folding his arms and staring at her.
    ”If the cat got your friend and then she went and ate you, how do I know she didn’t make you a bad cat that eats people, too? Everyone knows not to trust faeries.” Except Isaac, who trusts faeries constantly.

19. - Top - End - #169

[Saunders Residence]

"It's still gross," Melissa insists petulantly, crossing her arms and scuffing her foot on the floor. "I don't know who King Crimson is."

A beat.

"Wait, no, don't tell me. It's something from one of your dumb comics, isn't it?"

It probably is. That totally sounds like a dumb comic person's name.

"I-" Melissa looks cross as she begins, but quickly falls silent again. She actually pauses thoughtfully. "No, that's a good good question. Cat sith are bad cats. Except maybe Puss In Boots?"

Do story book cats count as fae cats?

Then a look of recollection dawns on her face. "Oh yeah! That crazy chair guy made me Swear that I wouldn't turn anyone into a faerie either through action or inaction. Otherwise he was going to whomp me to death. Not that I would have done that anyway since I told Asreal I wasn't going to play his stupid Cat and Mouse game."

She gives a VERY feline hiss.

"I told them ALL that I wasn't playing but they tagged me anyway. It isn't fair."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

”Faeries never play fair.”
    Except when Lucas is at a tournament. Isaac hasn’t ever been able to catch him cheating at least.
    ”Well...fae and faeries usually have to keep their promises. Could you swear to me that everything you told me is true?” he asks, having to make sure. He doesn’t know it a faerie can lie about taking an oath. He’s got no idea about that.
    He groans.
    ”I guess I really should call Lucas.” he mumbles as he gets out his phone and goes through his contacts.

21. - Top - End - #171

[Saunders Residence]

"It's because they're stupid butts," Melissa insists, crossing her arms with a huff.

The fact that she's a faerie too makes this all even worse.

If she isn't careful then SHE might be a stupid butt, too!

"I'm not going to make the same Oath again!" Melissa protests. There's a... resonance to what she just said. Almost an echo of the oath invoked through the mere act of mentioning that she made it to Isaac. "That would be dumb."

Hmmm...

Maybe a dreamlander can't lie about an Oath that they've taken?

Isaac doesn't know for sure, though. But Lucas probably would. Calling him is likely a good plan.

The girl gives a huff. "What's it matter anyways... you don't even remember I ever existed."

A little tremor runs through her voice.

"Mom and dad don't remember me either. Nobody does..."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

”Yeah, but you remember your friend, so there’s probably some stupid glamour involved or something. It’s always glamour with fae stuff.”
    Isaac dials Lucas, opening immediately with, ”Lucas, code Midsummer.” just to make sure Melissa knows he’s a huge dork.

23. - Top - End - #173

[Saunders Residence]

Melissa isn't wallowing in self-pity NEARLY enough not to roll her eyes and say, "Oh my GOSH why do you have to be so lame, Isaac?"

She just can't make sense of it!

Her big brother literally has super powers and he keeps doing all this dumb stuff!

Why?

She can't figure it out!

Lucas, meanwhile, informs Isaac that he'll be right over.

Which...

Will still take a few minutes. His house isn't THAT far away. Thankfully he was playing something single player and he can just save and bail. If he had been on one of the online multiplayer games he likes then this might have been a true crisis.

Melissa, meanwhile, flops over onto her back. And wrinkles her nose at the smell. Does the room smell worse or is her cat-nose just better?

Maybe having a cat's sense of smell isn't so great after all.

"Well what do we do then? If we break it then does everyone remember me again?"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Saunders Residence

Isaac turns up his nose. “You can say whatever you want. But which of us has magic powers and Chosen One status, and which of us got eaten by a stupid cat?” he asks. Now that sounds like the brother she knows.
    ”I got no clue how glamours work. You’re the faerie in the room. I just hope that Lucas might...know an expert.” Yup. Nothing weird about his totally normal friend Lucas.

25. - Top - End - #175

[Saunders Residence]

"I have magic powers AND I got eaten by a stupid cat," Melissa grouses. "But they aren't as cool as yours. Oh! This one's pretty cool, though!"

Then?

She grins at Isaac.

And her grin just keeps getting bigger and brighter until it is this giant fanged Cheshire Cat smile while her eyes turn the color of a full harvest moon with slit pupils. The rest of her fades from view-

"Hehehe..."

-followed by her smile and eyes vanishing.

Then complete silence.

"I can turn invisible! Your magic force powers are super neat but I bet you can't turn invisible," comes Melissa's voice from... seemingly every direction at once. It has an eerie echoing quality to it.

...one of his gundam models over on the shelf suddenly starts moving of its own accord, as if someone were playing with it. Which someone is.

Isaac will likely notice something weird here. He'll recall getting irritated that someone used to always try to mess with his models, but there's just kind of a blank spot when he tries to recall who. Lucas doesn't touch them, he knows better than that. The more he tries to clamp down on the memory, the more it slips between his fingers.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

”Ugh, you do that same creepy smile that the hedleykows do!” Isaac groans.

His expression darkens for a moment, his voice reflexively growling, “You better be holding him by the middle!” in that weird way he always gives his robot models pronouns.

27. - Top - End - #177

[Spako's Tower]

Sylvess frowns and leans in to give Spako an affectionate nuzzle. "I-if you still think it's too soon, I understand. I-I don't want to rush us into anything." He coughs and lowers his head sheepishly. "B-but I can't pretend I don't want to speak to this farming god right now a-and see what can be done. I-I mean, they might send us on a quest that takes months to complete before, um, before they'll do anything."

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

"Well it was hardly an appropriate environment to just jump on someone and ravish them and- oh, goodness, just listen to us!" Ambriel might be able to be nonchalant about all this, Ithuriel is much less used to these kinds of discussions and her cheeks have turned a bright pink. "The wing thing is more than just a coincidence at this point, but no, you're right, I don't think I'm the sort of person to just jump on anyone with wings. I just...like her a lot, and it's confusing and weird and I don't understand what I feel or how I feel, or why I'm feeling anything."

She reaches over with one hand to pull Ambriel down onto her lap. "I've not exactly had the best experiences with any of this. I don't think it's because I'm a bad person, I'm just terrified of hurting you, and things have gone wrong before with everyone I've cared about. I already managed to lose you once. And then no sooner do I get you back than I screw things up again by getting preg-" She winces and cuts herself short. That still hurts too much to address directly. "I'm not very good at this."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spako’s Tower]

Spako rolls his eyes and hands Sylvess the book before going back to his more delicate-fingered kobold shape.
    ”You’re lucky you’re cute, you know that? This is what we’re going to have to do. I’ll get the stuff. You look and see what you want to do. God has different aspects so we can do it a little different up in the lab.”
    The book details the various aspects of W, including the Winter (mother) aspect, the spring (daughter) aspect, the summer (son) aspect, and the autumn (father) aspect, as well as noting that the aspect animal is more wild based on how full the moon is, flowing from wolf to horse to cow and other such animals. There’s also a small note on the side mentioning that performing a summoning wildly different from current natural conditions could produce...unstable effects.

29. - Top - End - #179

[Saunders Residence]

The robot is quickly released!

And shortly there after Melissa appears on the other side of the room looking as innocent as she can manage!

"I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" she shoots back.

Again, there's something aggravatingly familiar about this whole sequence of events. But trying to put a face to those memories of models being messed with is a slippery thing.

Meanwhile!

There's a bit of noise from upstairs. Mostly the doorbell ringing and muffle voices.

Shortly there after Lucas descends into the basement! And momentarily freezes when he spots Melissa. "Oh geeze she's a cait sith."

Judging from his reaction he doesn't think that's a good thing.

Melissa rolls her eyes and waves. "Hi Lucas."

The teen looks taken aback. "...have we met before?"

"UGH!" Melissa groans, flopping over backwards onto the floor again.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Oh thank goodness. Lucas is here. That means the weirdness can be more evenly distributed.
    ”Yeah. So she says she’s my sister but got grabbed...probably years ago. She doesn’t know Iknika, so...did you hear about any school abductions involving...cait-sith? Because it doesn’t look like you remember her either.” which is weird, because Melissa claims to remember her friend who turned her. He thought that would mean faeries were immune to whatever memory thing was going on. Maybe it’s just faerie cats.