New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Home 25: Still making mortgage payments

[Saunders Residence]

"There was a school that got hit pretty bad a few years back that I heard about," Lucas recalls. "Plothook Elementary I think? That isn't too far from here. There were rumors that one of the Morgwyn's lieutenants was involved. A cait sith named Azrael."

That's the truth. The school is only about three blocks away.

"It really was a few years?" Melissa interjects. "It only felt like I was in that weird forest for a couple hours."

Lucas frowns. "Weird forest? Did you get lost in the Weald? Off the road in the Dreamlands?"

Melissa nods.

"Okay, yeah, that would do it. Time between the Waking World and the Dreamlands is already kind of weird, but it is even weirder in the Weald. You could get back years later, or after no time at all, or even before you left," Lucas says. "Cait sith usually feed on the souls of the dead, making people forget them and all their stories. They erase people. But there are some really wicked cait sith that will just devour the living whole without bothering to wait."

"That's what happened to me!" Melissa says. "Azrael said he was playing a game of 'Cat and Mouse' and gobbled up a bunch of kids that he sent to gobble up OTHER kids. I told them I wasn't playing but they gobbled me up anyway."

Lucas winces. "Even if it was through a proxy, that means Azrael has eaten umm..."

"Melissa."

"Melissa's story. The only way to get it back would be to kill the cat. And Azrael is kind of legendary sort of scary."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac nods. He pounds a fist into his hand for good measure.
    ”Then we need backup, or a really good plan. We’ve been needing to go into the Weald for a while anyway.” Lucas hasn’t thought that they were ready to go after Lucas’ original self. Isaac has been pushy about that.
    ”Do we know anyone who might have info on this guy? And uh, if we did go could you get your boss to uh, clear his schedule?” It would be pretty annoying if Maph needed to go bother someone at the Thanksmas party right in the middle of fighting a big evil cat.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #183

[Saunders Residence]

"Backup AND a really good plan," Lucas agrees.

"I can help!" Melissa offers, jumping to her feet. "I've got magic and stuff, too! I helped Mister Wenomir fight a buggane!"

Technically she threw nekofire at it as a distraction while the VIGIL leader beat it up.

But close enough!

She figured out several really cool cat-tricks while she was in the Weald.

"This is tough, since wilder fae like these have their Glades out in the middle of the Weald. You can't just walk up to them on the King's Road. And traveling off the road is really dangerous," Lucas explains. "Having Melissa along will actually help a lot. There are only a few types of dreamlander that can go off-roading with relative safety. Mostly just cait sith, kitsune, and hags. I think... I think maybe we should go after Bramble-Hag first. As kind of a trial run before trying to tackle someone like Azrael."

Oooh.

Lucas is finally ready to try getting the original Lucas back?

"Yes!" Melissa says, doing a little pump before hugging Isaac's leg. "I finally get to go on an adventure with my big brother!"

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac nods. His eyes flick to a bottom drawer on his left.
    ”Okay. Sounds good. No offense, Melissa, but Bramble-Hag has more of a time limit. Azrael might have stolen Melissa’s story, but we still have to rescue old-you before she makes him a-“ he stops. ”Aren’t hags ladies? What do they do with guys? Make them snacks? Ogres? Nameless?” You’re never sure with unseelie fae.

5. - Top - End - #185

[Saunders Residence]

"Ogres are male hags," Lucas confirms.

"Like Shrek?" Melissa asks, glancing up from her clingy hug. "I like Shrek. Donkey is funny."

"No, not like Shrek," Lucas retorts. "Ogres are awful. They're like..."

"Onions!" Melissa suggests helpfully.

Lucas scowls at her.

"No. They aren't like onions,"
    Lucas retorts. "They're like a cross between a boogie and a goblin. All the terror of a boogie and all the nastiness of a goblin."

Melissa makes a sour face. "That doesn't sound like Shrek at ALL! Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?"

Lucas face-palms.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac clears his throat.
    ”Guys. Focus. The Grandmaster only gave Lucas two stealth ribbons. What are we gonna do with three people and the kid, assuming he isn’t already an ogre? If I change then there’s no hope of me ever sneaking by unnoticed. Cats are pretty sneaky. Should we try to just sneak in and wreck the place? Getting in and out quietly is going to be really hard.”

7. - Top - End - #187

[Saunders Residence]

"I can be SUPER sneaky," Melissa confirms as she finally releases Isaac's leg. "Way sneakier than an elephant."

"It might be a good idea to let her get some practice with her cait sith magic first," Lucas reasons. "You might not like it, though, Isaac. Cait sith magic revolves around glamour and gossamer, mostly. But it's what they use it for that's really scary. Most of their real power involves ghosts and the dead."

Melissa gives a little gasp!

"THAT'S why I look like a witch from one of Isaac's dumb comic books! I'm a nekomancer!"

Lucas opens his mouth to correct her, but decides against it.

"Sure. There are a lot of lost spirits out in the Weald. Will-o-wisps and stuff. If we could find a haunted house or something first? That would be a good step one. A hag's magic is a whole lot like a haunt. It would be really good practice for all of us and Melissa might be able to ensnare some spirits to help."

"Bwah ha ha! Melissa the nekomancer!" the girl cackles in her best mock-villain laugh.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac frowns.
    ”You’re stalling, but sure. Where are we gonna find a haunted house, though?” He bends down to Melissa.
    ”Okay, look. It’s going to be a while before we can get everyone’s memories of you back. And I can’t just tell mom and dad that you’re staying here now. How about after we leave you can come back disguised as a cat? Mom and Dad won’t question me having a cat. Wizards have them all the time. You could even come to my classes. But you’ll probably find them boring.”

9. - Top - End - #189

[Saunders Residence]

"I'm not stalling," says Lucas, who is totally stalling. "It's just tactically sound to make sure everyone on the team knows how to use their abilities."

"I think I can kind of hear ghosts," Melissa says. She reaches up and cups her hands over her ears. There's a little ripple of magical flame, like shadows and moonlight, as she stretches her ears up to the top of her head and BOOP! a pair of black cat ears are now sticking out of her blond hair.

Bwip.

Bwip bwip!

Her ears twitch back and forth.

"Yeah, I hear dead people," Melissa confirms. Then all of a sudden her eyes go feline and ship whips around, staring at a spot on the wall. "Oooh, someone just died across the street! They haven't been buried yet and their soul is still lingering."

She sounds...

Hungry.

Then she pounds both of her fists on top of her head head, causing the cat ears to vanish.

"NO! No no. Not doing that, dummy. Cat. Yeah, I can turn into a normal sized cat. But my tail will still be forked."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2019-12-16 at 02:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

”That’s fine. Mom and Dad will question a magic cat even less. They never really ask about my school stuff. I’ll just tell them that you’re a very important familiar on loan from the school or something. And I guess we should go out and use you to find a few ghosts.” Isaac wonders if he can get her to sit on his shoulder. Faerie cats are probably as warm as regular cats. And it would look super wizardy.

11. - Top - End - #191

[Saunders Residence]

"Could we... maybe not do any ghost hunting tonight?" Melissa pleads. "I just want to be at home for a little while. Even if no one remembers me. I still remember everything."

"I'll go back home and look up some local haunts," Lucas says. "Maybe after school we can go check them out?"

A plan!

They have a plan!

Back up the stairs Lucas goes. Mom and dad probably comment on how that was a really fast visit.

"Why don't you just tell mom and dad that I'm a faerie and I'm going to be your familiar for a school project?" Melissa asks. "That way you don't have to walk me back outside and they can tell Intersection that I'm not a missing little girl."

A beat.

"Also it won't be so weird that you took me into your room," Melissa adds as moonslight and shadows swirl around her. The cloud of darkness and light rapidly shrinks until all that remains is a black cat with a little wisp-shaped white spot on her chest. And of course a forked tail. "And I'll only pretend to be your familiar if you get me a tiny witch hat."

That seems fair.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac frowns, but eventually relents. She’s too stubborn to argue with sometimes. So he picks up the cat, declares to his parents that the girl was just a lost little faerie who lived in the house with the family before they moved in, and that he would be giving her a job as his familiar for school stuff for a while and marches back down before they can poke holes in his (flimsy) story. He also gets a big extra pillow from the closet.
    ”This will be yours, then. Where do you want it?” He suspects that being a cat she’ll want the warm bed or the heater vent. But he thinks she deserves the choice.

13. - Top - End - #193

[Saunders Residence]

While upstairs Melissa will meow at appropriate moments.

Everyone likes cats, right?

Once back down stairs, she'll say. "Up on the shelf there is good. I like sleeping in places that are up high."

So...

Like a cat.

That probably isn't too much of a shock.

Once the pillow is in place she'll settle down atop it, purring.

"Thanks Isaac," Melissa says. "I'm really glad to be home."

A moment passes.

Then two.

"Even if I have to sleep in your creepy dungeon basement room."

That said, she'll settle down and fall asleep.

...there's a good chance she'll wake Isaac up again at about four in the morning by butting her head against his face.

"Pssst! Isaac. Wake up."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac consents to letting the cat sleep on his shelf, even though he has to move his full set of the Nexus collection of Sandman comics that he has always been afraid to reread in case he finds Maph snuck into one of the panels of the Nexus edition.

Several hours later, there is a cat smashing against his face.
    ”But whyyy thoooough.” he moans, trying to resist waking up and instead take this strange furry thing in his face and carry it under the covers so he can roll over and go back to sleep.

15. - Top - End - #195

[Saunders Residence]

Maph probably won't sneak into a book. That's honestly more of Fortuna's thing.

Regardless!

The drowsy teen attempts to halt head bopping with a grab and snuggle counter attack!

Melissa moves like a greased shadow, neatly avoiding a horrible and snuggly fate.

Not to be dissuaded she begins mooshing her toe-beans again Isaac's nose and mouth.

"Isaaaaaac! C'mon, wake up!"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2019-12-17 at 01:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Maph wouldn't sneak into a book, but what if someone has a dream of him and put it in one of the special editions? Isaac can't take that risk. It would be weird.
    But right now he is moaning because there's a cat in his face.
    "But whyyyyyy?" he groans, opening one eye.

17. - Top - End - #197

[Saunders Residence]

Not just any cat in his face.

A magical cat in his face.

And Melissa wouldn't be doing this for just any reason.

Oh no!

She would only wake her brother up at four in the morning for a very, very important reason.

A vital reason!

A matter of life and death!

"I want you to let me outside," the cat says.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

”You’re a shapeshifter. Let yourself out.” groans Isaac as Melissa is fixed with an absolute death stare. He has classes at eight! How could she do this to him?

19. - Top - End - #199

[Saunders Residence]

"But I want YOU to let me outside! It's important!"
    Melissa insists.

As she continues standing on Isaac's face.

Having a cat is a big responsibility, Isaac.

You should have considered that before you decided to keep one.

They have to be fed. And petted. And played with. And let outside sometimes.

All sorts of important cat-related responsibilities!

And right now?

The most important responsibility is opening at least two doors so Melissa can go outside at four in the morning.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac rolls over, sleepily pointing at the basement window, which unlatches and swings open, filling the room with cold, almost-winter air.
    "Go. Before I freeze. And when you come back I'm not opening it again."

21. - Top - End - #201

[Saunders Residence]

Ah, horrible freezing air.

One of the wonders of Thanksmas.

Melissa kneeds her paws on Isaac's pillow, purring. "Thanks Isaac, you're the best big brother. There's a poltergeist creeping around tossing rocks at windows I'm gunna go gobble him."

And the she dissolves into shadows and moonlight, slithering off through the window and outside.

...through a different, closed window. Not through the one Isaac just opened.

Which means she could have easily left any time she wanted to.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac sits upright in bed, the window slamming shut.
    ”Melissa don’t you dare go eating people while you’re living in this house.” he says firmly, fully awake.

23. - Top - End - #203

[Saunders Residence]

The window being closed won't actually stop the cait sith from getting out. A wall of force would, though.

"But Isaac!" Melissa complains. She could have bailed just now but she didn't.

That probably counts for something?

"A poltergeist isn't people! They're just echos of people. Angry, mean, dangerous echos!" she says, feline eyes and a huge grinning mouth appearing in the midst of the cloud of moonlight and shadows. "If I don't gobble it then it might hurt someone, Isaac. That isn't okay."

Not okay at all!

Have you ever tried living in a house with an active haunt, Isaac? It isn't fun.

"It's trying to get someone to open their door or window for it so it can come in and do mean things to them. I'm going to stop it!"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

Isaac stares for a while and then groans, flopping backwards.
    ”Fine. Only if it’s dangerous and isn’t a full soul floating around.” he groans. He hates having to be responsible for this.

25. - Top - End - #205

[Saunders Residence]

"Yay, you're the best big brother ever!" Melissa exclaims as the creepy face-in-a-cloud drifts closer. Isaac will get the vague impression of a hug when the morass of shadows and moonlight briefly envelopes him before zipping through the closed window.

Apparently glass is as much an impediment to an incorporeal cait sith as it is to a moonbeam.

She probably didn't want Isaac to let her outside, as such.

More properly she wanted Isaac's permission to eat the ghost. And he said okay!

And since she's his familiar then he's totally responsible for whatever mischief she gets up to.

That's how these things work, after all.

Having a cat is a big responsibility.

Pretty soon there's a commotion from outside. Rattling chains, banging cans, a car alarm going off, and the yowling and spitting and hissing of an angry cat.

A nice, peaceful winter morning.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Saunders Residence

Isaac groans and gets his watch off the nightstand. He sets a timer. If she hasn’t won in a minute and a half he’s going to have to get out there and help.

27. - Top - End - #207

[Saunders Residence]

It only takes a minute or so of awful ruckus to die down. Most of it from the ghost. Shortly thereafter that the shape of shadows and moonlight slithers back in through the (closed) window and coalesces into a cat the size of a large dog.

With a new addition!

A ghostly green wisp of spiritual fire is now burning between the forks of her tail, both halves curled slightly around it.

"I got the wraith!" Melissa proclaims as she hops up on Isaac's bed, turning around so he has a great view of tail, ghost, and catbutt. "Just in time too he was about to stab a hobbit."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Saunders Residence

Isaac just kind of...stares.
    ”Lissa...did you get bigger? You’re not going to fit on the shelf when you’re that big. Also um. Good for you?”
    He can’t keep a cat if she’s going to get to the size of a horse after two days!
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2019-12-18 at 06:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

[Saunders Residence]

"I can be a lot of different sizes," Melissa replies primly as she sits down on Isaac's bed. "Big, medium, small, girl-shaped. I was just medium-sized when I was beating up that wraith!"

And she beat it up good, too!

Then she hops off the bed in a swirl of shadow and moonlight, back to cat-size when she hits the floor.

"I'm going to go back to sleep okay Isaac? Wake me up when it's time to go to school."

Because he has to take her to school.

He MUST!

Since he said that she's supposed to be his familiar.

Now he'll have a cat harassing him all day while he's taking classes. Fun.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

[Saunders Residence]

"You don't have to actually come with me to school, you know. You'll probably think all my classes are boring and then I'll get in trouble when you whine about it."
    Isaac isn't sure why but he's positive that this is true for some reason.