Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames OOC

Greetings Hannah, and welcome to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now, one important thing to note is that this game is not Dungeons & Dragons. You are not a hero, you are not a being who is eventually able to snap your fingers and cast Wish or attack nine times with a massive sword in the span of six seconds, you are an ordinary person, and just like ordinary people, you may become heavily injured (HP isn't just something that magically returns with a quick nap), suffer sanity-shattering experiences, or even die! However, someone has to make a stand against the horrors of the mythos, and the death or insanity of a single human matters little if it means postponing the eventual enslavement of humanity.

However, you may be one of the lucky ones who survive your encounters with unearthly beings, gaining knowledge of the horrors outside of our reality, power from volumes of arcane lore, and advancement in your skills as you become more experienced. You will (most likely) never reach the point of superhuman abilities akin to D&D or Pathfinder, but you can achieve something greater than the average of your kind.

Now that you understand the basic themeatic aspects of the game, prepare to journey onto your first adventure -- Alone Against the Flames! This is a horror story set in the 1920s where you are the main character. For the purposes of walking you through the story I will offer prompts and suggestions below each of my In-Character posts, but if you're feeling foolish confident feel free to forge your own path! Please however let me know how often you can post. I post at least once a day and I'm generally available, but I also would like to know how my often players can!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, set up a nice fire, and join the In-Character! Actually, on second thought, don't get too close to the fire.

In addition, you may (no requirement) watch this video or this one (and I'd only watch these two) for some additional content regarding Call of Cthulhu as a game system.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-22 at 05:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hannahbbug3's Alone Against the Flames OOC

I'm so excited! I generally can post once a day, sometimes more often than that as long as I'm paying attention. For a solo game I don't imagine it'll be hard for me to post 2-3 times a day, as I know I'm not waiting on anyone else to do anything and it's just my character.

Speaking of my character, I saw you mention before that we're going to create them IC, which is awesome! But in terms of a character sheet itself, should I make one on Mythweavers to keep track of everything? Or are you going to handle that end of things?
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That works just fine. Also, I'm going to handle the keeping track of the character, so don't you worry. Finally... wow, I did not expect that much information in the first post. I would've expected working up to that point but um... ok (also, not a "bad" ok, like a "wow you're really awesome and I'm super excited but also a little intimidated" ok)?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-22 at 08:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

This is a character I conceptualized for an occult-themed D20 Modern game that never got off the ground, and so I'm super excited for the chance to use him. Honestly, most of that first post was information I already had written from his backstory, with some tweaking to work here. He's still very new to me and I'm eager to get to know him - and hopefully keep him from rolling too many bad sanity checks. I don't want him seeing too many ghosts, after all.

But yeah, the basic idea of him is that he's a Sensitive when it comes to paranormal stuff, and has always been interested in it... though he doesn't mind just being a financial consultant. Strange things just happen around him sometimes and so (hopefully) the more "mundane" weird stuff won't freak him out too much...

Anyways, my other posts probably won't be quite as long as the first one. The second one I made there I would say is about average for me.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Also, Character Portrait
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    Strange things just happen around him sometimes and so (hopefully) the more "mundane" weird stuff won't freak him out too much...
    Depends, of course on the rolls (although you know this); also, that's a bit of an oxymoron, eh? Nevertheless, I understand and yes, hopefully he's not too freaked out by such things... then again, there are also far worse things than just flickers of a possible ghost...
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-22 at 11:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Depends, of course on the rolls (although you know this); also, that's a bit of an oxymoron, eh? Nevertheless, I understand and yes, hopefully he's not too freaked out by such things... then again, there are also far worse things than just flickers of a possible ghost...
    Of course I have an achievement in a video game for missing an attack when I had a 99% chance to hit. we all know how the dice go... I'm pretty pleased with that luck roll, though. If a higher number was good, at least. above average!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Indeed! So far, Lady Luck appears to be on your side!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Borked that roll formatting. Let's try again!

Charm - (1d100)[32]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

And I forgot to roll, oops!

(1d100)[54]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmmm... that was a rather convincing speech (also invoking backstory). I'm willing to give that a Bonus Die, which I rolled a 3 on, making that a Success.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Having some computer issues. Might not get a good post out for you until the 5th - when my new charger will be arriving! Hopefully that's all the problem is and I don't have to get a new battery and such...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's fine! Thanks for letting me know!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    Not sure if I like where this is going, don't know how I'm going to get out of this one.
    I hope that the "like" was in reference to fear and not towards enjoyment. I just want you to have fun

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

damn it, he's going to die.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

okay
    good game

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh, you're done? If you don't wish to play this again I'd happily move on to the next one instead...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

i thought he was dead. if he can escape, then it's fine

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are you planning on hiding out in the church for as long as you can?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but he's going to go ahead and put on the disguise once he gets there.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gotcha, sounds good.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

but how do they always know where i am, everything i try to do is pointless

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm afraid that's unclear.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, I'd like to establish that not everything you're doing is pointless. It may seem incredibly challenging and like the town is working against you, but it's not pointless.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Congratulations! You've done it! You've managed to beat Alone Against the Flames. Your character has forever been changed by what they've experienced in Emberhead, and they might not ever be the same. Nevertheless, they will most likely improve!

You succeeded in the following skill rolls: Charm, Disguise, Intimidate, Persuade, Ride, and Spot Hidden. For each of these please give me a roll, however your goal is to fail instead of succeed. If you fail (I'll let you know), it's representative of you understanding that there's some way that you could have improved and you may add a d10 to that skill's rating.

Once that happens, if you had fun we can continue into the next adventure: Paper Chase. You may also read all of the other forums relating to Alone Against the Flames here at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained (basically my repository for all of your links so I don't have to keep looking them up online).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

YAY HE LIVED

Charm - (1d100)[10] (1d10)[1]
    Disguise - (1d100)[12] (1d10)[10]
    Intimidate - (1d100)[5] (1d10)[2]
    Persuade - (1d100)[54] (1d10)[1]
    Ride - (1d100)[78] (1d10)[1]
    Spot Hidden - (1d100)[10] (1d10)[7]

EDIT: -narrows eyes-
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-11-12 at 01:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I just realized that I missed the fact that you made a successful Stealth roll, so you may roll for that one too. Either way, that's an increase in Ride, Disguise, and Persuade it seems (those were some incredibly good rolls...). Nevertheless, would you like to continue with the next adventure? Or did you want to end it here (also I understand it was sorta railroad-y, but I hope that nevertheless, you had fun)?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-12 at 02:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Stealth - (1d100)[100] (1d10)[3]

I'd like to do the next adventure. This one was a little railroad-y, yeah. I didn't really like the NPC hivemind. But I'm still getting used to CoC vs. DnD, after all.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, of course, I admit myself it's a bit weird, but nevertheless, don't worry. We'll get more and more freeform as we continue.

And thus we have the beginnings of your character, which can be found here!

Along with the OOC, which can be found here!