New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Night Below (IC)

Avaris

Avaris nods

"This is very true. I have been negligent.

We could also ask if they know the person who attacked us. His attitude probably changed recently, if they do. Carlanis was the ringleader's name."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

"Carlanis?" Barthelew confirms as he stops by with a sweet pie for the table.
    "Crazy fellow. Goes about describing himself as a 'knight errant, in seek of adventure and good deeds.'" Barthelew snorts.
    "When he's in town, he stops by the Silver Crown where some of the patrons are fool enough to go with him on his little adventures."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Avaris, and I suppose others
    Show
    If you have more questions for Barthelew put them in a Spoiler tag marked Flashback and we'll say they've already happened while I move us on a bit.

You all eat your meal, then get directions to Jelenneth's home, a wooden but sturdy house built near the Mill House you passed by on your way in. When you knock on the door, a woman about the same age as Haldelar opens it. Her eyes are puffy and her nose is red from being rubbed raw, but her back is straight.
    "Haldelar told me about... some of you," she says, looking to Mirafa and Avaris.
    "I'm mistress Parella, at your service. How can I help you?"
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Mira bows at the introduction. My lady. I am Mirafa, a servant of Helm, and these are my compatriots. We have only recently arrived in town, but arrived in time to hear of your daughter’s disappearance. We have agreed to take on the search for her, and we’re wondering if you would be so kind as to answer a few questions and perhaps allow us access to her things that we may search for any clue as to where she may have gone.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Night Below (IC)

Parella steps back to let you all in.
    "Of course. You'll excuse my husband's absence, he couldn't bring himself to stay home while Andrea organized a search around the outskirts. I suppose it may be best to talk in Jel's room." She leads you all unsteadily up a flight of stairs which do not creak, a sign of good craftsmanship.
    She opens the first door up the stairs and leads you, only pausing a moment, into a bedroom. This is likely the first house that is not an estate you've seen wherein a daughter has a separate bedroom, and the interior continues the trend of surprising wealth without nobility. The bed has a mattress of straw wrapped in sheets. Folded neatly in the corner are two dresses - one white, and one black - and a traveller's cloak dropped haphazardly next to them. Next to the doorway is a desk which would look quite nice if it weren't for all the clutter. An emptied component pouch and all of its contents are shoved off to both sides while pages of notes are underneath the beginnings of a spellbook. About the only part of the desk that isn't touched by ink, ripped paper, mangled spell components or a faint burn mark is a miniature portrait leaning on the wall where it and the desk intersect. It's clearly of Andrea.
    Parella sits on the bed, leaving the rest of the room to you.
    "I'll... I'll take your questions," she offers, resolve overcoming the fear and sorrow on her face.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Well, first a few details would help. When did you notice she was missing? I am guessing that she isn’t the type of gir to just run off without notice, but has she done this before? And we also know she is the apprentice to the mage, Tauster. Has she ever received an urgent summons from him before?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I know I just jammed these all together, but for role play sake, I am saying that I let the mother answer before I continue to my next question.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    When did you notice she was missing? I am guessing that she isn’t the type of girl to just run off without notice, but has she done this before?
    "No, not run off, exactly. This town is very small most of the time. The miners haul off in the morning, come back at night, and those of us who maintain the town have a quiet place to ourselves. She memorized Milborne shortly after she could run, and we saw no need to stop her as long as she was content to stay in the town. We often awaken - as we did this morning - to find that she's already gotten a fresh start. Generally she either meets us up at the Millhouse - she runs our finances." Parella's brave face slips for a moment.
    "She's such a smart girl." A deep breath.
    "-or we find her at the Baron of Mutton. Today, my husband tried doing just that and... well, I heard that's when you met him."

And we also know she is the apprentice to the mage, Tauster. Has she ever received an urgent summons from him before?
    "No, he's never involved her directly in his research. It's a bit beyond her, at least he says. He has her run errands and such, but that's generally after she's already arrived in Thurmaster."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-11-04 at 10:10 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

"If I may?" Liara waits for a gap in the conversation before indicating she wants to look through items.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming she is allowed to go through her things, Liara will read through the pages and try to discern if there is anything that could notify them of her whereabouts.

(1d20)[8] +5 investigation check
    Last edited by Ricky S; 2019-11-05 at 08:03 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Well, first a few details would help. When did you notice she was missing? I am guessing that she isn’t the type of gir to just run off without notice, but has she done this before? And we also know she is the apprentice to the mage, Tauster. Has she ever received an urgent summons from him before?

Show
    I know I just jammed these all together, but for role play sake, I am saying that I let the mother answer before I continue to my next question.
    The scattered notes are botched attempts at spell formulas, while the spellbook has four completed spells: Comprehend Languages, Silent Image, Unseen Servant, and Identify. The last of these two are found in various incorrect forms throughout the desk along with several failed tries to replicate the Magic Missile spell.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"Have other people left suddenly and without a seeming reason?"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

She shakes her head.
    "No, not from inside the town before. The disappearances have taken place on the roads, in the mines."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

And she’s always been content to stay in town? Aside from when she goes to study with Tauster, I am assuming?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

"She's never been anywhere that doesn't lie between here and Thurmaster," she confirms.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-11-05 at 06:20 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Mirafa absentmindedly reaches up and rubs a spot just behind one of her horns.

Thank you, mistress. You have been a great aid to us. Anything, Liara?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Listening carefully to the conversation, Avaris is searching discreetly the room.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Investigation (1d20+3)[23]

"Do you know if she ever had any track with Carlanis, the eccentric fellow in Silver Swan?"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Avaris
    Show
    The blankets are not strewn apart, but they are lifted to allow somebody to get out of that bed. If there was a struggle, it was cleaned up perfectly.

Parella blinks once.
    "I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with any Carlanis, though I think you may be referring to the Silver Crown."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Liara looks up from the papers and books "Mmm? Oh, no, sorry I was just absorbed in reading. There is nothing that I can see which would help us. A spell book with some spells and notes"

Liara closes the book "If people have been going missing it is surely related. If we find one we will find them all. We need to make haste and find them.

Should we head to the thurmaster and make his delivery? Perhaps he can aid us in finding her?"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking that we needed to be quick myself. If we don’t have anything else for the good lady here, we should take our leave, and make plans.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Parella nods, somewhat relieved that the questioning is over, and walks you back out.
    "Thank you so much for your help. I don't..." she stops there, not sure of what to say.

Show
    Where to?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Hush, dear lady. Do not worry. We will find your daughter. You have my word as a servant of Helm. Go. Try and rest.

After Parella goes inside and closes the door, Mirafa walks away for a few steps before turning to the others.

I do not like this. I am fairly certain that it was those brain things that are abducting these people. The question though, is why haven't they come back? Carlanis did, and he had one of them in him. But either way, I do not think we have time to wait. We need to go now.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2019-11-06 at 04:10 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Emrig waits until the group is outside to speek. "Aye, I believe ye may be right about the reason of the disappearances. Though we ran into Carlanis outside of town; we should ask around, maybe he'd been gone for a bit. I still think we should speak to someone in charge as well."

22. - Top - End - #112

"I think if we tell someone in charge what occured we shouldnt tell them about the brain thing. One it could mean a panic and two we dont know if they are one of those things. We dont yet know how to check if someone is possessed. We should tell them Carlanis attacked us though.

We could maybe question them and see if they are lying to determine if they are possessed.

Ok, so notify the town guard and then make our way to the mines?"

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. We can find the town guard, inform them that we were attacked, and then get directions to the mines.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

You haven't seen anyone you'd describe as a "guard" since you've arrived, and that continues for a little while. In towns of this size, particularly one where most of the residents have physically active jobs like mining, the town has a militia that can be called by one or two people. Asking around for that person, you quickly receive directions to the carpentry shop of a man named Garyld.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

"Let us speak quickly with Garyld and inform him of the attack before moving to the mines. Did we want to rest for the evening or make our way there tonight?"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

As much as I would like to rest for the night, I fear that if we are to have chance at rescuing anyone who has been taken, we need to go now.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

27. - Top - End - #117

"Agreed" Liara nods with conviction, "As the old human adage goes, time is of the essence"

Spoiler
    Show
    Is my mage armour still active? If not I will cast it again

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Most of the Carpentry shop is a work studio, littered with planks and shavings of wood. The station has two people inside of it at this late hour: a 50 year old man with graying hair and a young lad, cutting away at what looks like will soon be a chair leg with a sawblade. The fifty-year old man is sitting down, but has a cane loosely held in one hand. He is absently observing the young man's work but turns toward you all when he arrives. He takes in your arms and armor in just a moment with quick, keen eyes.

"How can I help you all?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

I am Mirafa, a servant of Helm, and these are my companions. You know Carlanis, yes? What kind of person was he?

Mirafa puts a slight emphasis on the ‘was,’ hoping to convey that this was a matter best talked about alone.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Garyld stares at you for a moment, then speaks without looking at the boy.
    "Terence, it's nearly sunset. Why don't you head home early, pick up a loaf of bread from the Millhouse before it closes."
    After the boy filed out, Garyld motions you all in nearer. There are chairs scattered throughout the studio, with enough of them finished that you could all sit.

"So I take it he's dead. I figured this would happen eventually, but... I really thought the kid had what it took."
    Show