New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Night Below (IC)

Fire envelops two of the lizards in three surges, each making contact as the most damaged of the altered lizardfolk collapses on its face, its skin shriveling in the heat.
    The other lizard that was scalded roars in anger, then ducks its head sharply to avoid the flaming crossbow bolt.

When Mirafa reaches melee range with the lizardfolk, she sees to her right that three more of the creatures are waiting down the narrow tunnel that the first had come from. One of them charges at her and tackles her from the side pushing her to the ground.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mirafa is being shoved prone, she can resist with athletics or acrobatics of her choice against the not!lizardfolk's 19 athletics.

Liara is up.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-11-15 at 01:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Liara runs towards the battle, balling her hands up with magic before releasing three glowing darts which race towards the creature closest to Emrig.

Spoiler
    Show
    liara moves 30ft then casts Magic missile
    (1d4)[3]+1
    (1d4)[4]+1
    (1d4)[3]+1

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Two darts careen into the lizard that dodged the magical crossbow bolt, and it collapses with two forceful holes in its body, dead.

One of the lizards in the formation breaks to run to Mirafa's side and tries planting a foot on her shoulder to keep her down. Both of its tentacles point at Emrig, and nothing seems to happen. Emrig is left undamaged.

Show

(1d20+2)[20]
    (1d20+4)[12] or (1d20+4)[13]; (1d10)[7]

Liara, you can redirect the last dart as you desire. Mirafa, one of the lizards is attempting to grapple you with a 20. Same rules as shove for you.

Emrig, you're up.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-11-15 at 06:40 PM.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

With his head feeling like it's going to split in two, Emrig's trembling hand pulls out another arrow, ready to fire. He aims for the lizardfolk grappling Mirafa, and lets it fly.

Spoiler: Dice roll
    Show

(1d20+4)[24] to hit
    (1d8+2)[10] piercing damage; + (1d8)[4] on a crit

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Emrig is pretty sure he hit a lung with how strained the creature's scream is, but it keeps one foot firmly planted on Liara's shoulder while two more of the things run in from the same direction and take up position in between the rest of you all and Mirafa. Their tentacles point at Emrig, but once more he seems to have lucked out. However, the lizards' bites dig into Mirafa's stomach, some of which she can feel through the armor. Then one of the first four of the creatures you saw joins in on the fun and attempts to dig its teeth into Mirafa's neck, but is bashed aside by her shield.

Show
    Mirafa takes 13 peircing damage, aside from that everyone seems fine. Avaris and Mirafa are up.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-11-16 at 02:27 PM.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris once more tries to thin the heard. He chooses the most wounded lizardman and takes aim with his crossbow. At the same time, he wills the spiritual weapon he has willed into existence to also hurry the creature.

After the shot, with sure and practices movements, he starts reloading. All the while, his lips are mouthing prayers.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

Atk with crossbow (1d20+4)[20] dmg (1d8+2)[3]
    Bonus action atk with Spiritual Weapon (1d20+5)[14] dmg (1d8+3)[4]

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

With the forceful crossbow bolt in one shoulder and a normal crossbow bolt in the other, the lizard with a foot planted on Mirafa's shoulder sways, dizzy. It barely clings to life, but its foot plants if anything more firmly on its enemy.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Brandishing her shield up before her, Mirafa does not bother trying to get out from under this creature. Not yet, anyway. The time isn't right. Instead, the young tiefling woman focuses on her faith in and devotion to Helm.

Ward me, Helm, for but a moment!

Feeling the warmth of her faith flood through her, she then places her fist still holding her sword over her chest and pours more of her faith into her wounds, feeling some of the pain recede in the burning light of her faith.

Show
    As a bonus action, I will cast Sanctuary. For one minute, or until I make an attack or cast a damaging spell, any creature attacking has to make a Wisdom saving throw, DC 13 or else choose another target. And then as my Action, I will use Lay on Hands to heal 14 points of damage to myself.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

The lizard that had initially thrown Mirafa onto the ground attempted to bite down at her but it became unable to do so, its jaws freezing in place. It shook its head and walked away from Mirafa, aiming its tentacles at Emrig as it moved 30 feet nearer to the rest of the party. Emrig felt a single spike in the pain in his head, then hit the ground, unconscious.

Show
    Emrig takes 6 psychic damage, Mirafa can make an opportunity attack at disadvantage if she desires.
    Liara is up.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160

Liara once again unleashes a barrage of magic missiles towards the lizard creatures ahead of her. She directs them at the creature that seemed to take down Emrig.

Multiple balls of magic energy shoot foward.

Spoiler
    Show
    she stands in place and casts magic missile (1d4)[3]+1
    (1d4)[4]+1
    (1d4)[1]+1

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

The three bolts leave darts in the flesh of the lizard, and it screeches at her. The four lizardfolk surrounding Mirafa aim their tentacles at Liara, but nothing seems to happen. They all then turn their attention to Mirafa, whose magical defenses left her once she attacked the creature that Liara had shot. Even though she is on the ground and unable to move, one of them loses teeth on her armor but doesn't manage much else. However, even more of the attacks break through to some degree.

Show
    Mirafa takes 20 piercing damage; Emrig you are not currently making death saves for reasons unknown. Mirafa and Avaris are up again.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Right. It’s tome to do something. Mirafa swings her sword up toward the lizard pinning her to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (disadvantage): (1d20+4)[10] or (1d20+4)[11]

Damage: (1d8+2)[7]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Even as close to death as it is, it's still able to shift its weight enough that most of the force of the blow bounces off of its scales.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Things are getting hectic. Avaris has not time to even guide his spiritual weapon as he utters a quick prayer of healing for fallen Emrig. He the takes aim at the lizardman just barely holding on to life.

"The Light soothes, the Light heals, the Light restores.
    By Mithras' grace, you are healed"

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show
    Healing Word to Emrig for (1d4+3)[4] HP
    Atk (1d20+4)[13] dmg (1d8+2)[10]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Avaris's crossbow bolt flies into the eye of the lizard on Mirafa and it immediately collapses, still twitching due to the bolt in its head but obviously dead.
    The lizard that had run up to you all looked directly at Avaris, its intelligent eyes filing away everything it knew about him. Its tentacles point back at Emrig to keep him down but they fail to do so, so it charges at Avaris and sinks its teeth into his left arm. '

Show
    Avaris takes three entire damage. Mirafa is no longer grappled.
    Liara and Emrig are up.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166

Liara mutters under breath,"Ridiculous lizard creatures, wont stop attacking..."

She balls her hands again and pushes more magic into her spell, before releasing a flurry of magical darts.

"Hang on a bit longer everyone!"

Spoiler
    Show
    She casts a level 2 spell slot for magic missile directing two darts into each lizard. (I believe there are two still standing correct?)
    (1d4)[3]+1
    (1d4)[1]+1
    (1d4)[2]+1
    (1d4)[1]+1

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Emrig nods towards Avaris as thanks, before pulling out another arrow. Still trembling, and on unsteady feet, he aims for the weakest looking foe, draws, and shoots.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Longbow attack
    (1d20+4)[11] to hit
    (1d8+2)[7] piercing damage; +(1d8)[6] on a crit

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Liara's bolts fire into the two weakest altered lizardfolk, but neither falls. The one that charged Avaris sways a moment, stumbling and near-death. Emrig aims an arrow to end it as it sways, but at the last moment it regains its footing and ducks under the shot.
    One of the creatures surrounding Mirafa bites into her and makes contact, but doesn't manage to bring her down. It hisses and aims its tentacles at her head. Mirafa's brain screams once, then she collapses unconscious. The lizard that downed her steps over her toward the rest of the party.
    The next lizard to act simply doesn't, closing its eyes for a moment before approaching the rest of the party as the former. To most of you, nothing happens. Mirafa, something alien, foreign, other is in your mind. It feels almost slimy. It says nothing, but its presence is palpable nonetheless, like an interested but silent eye staring through you.
    The next lizard steps over Mirafa's prone form and joins the other two in a formation of three, aiming its tentacle at Emrig to put him back down, but fails.

Show
    Avaris and Mirafa are up, Mirafa you are not making death saves and if you are healed you can act as normal, Avaris is a bit ahead of you in initiative. However, your opponents are now about 25 feet away from you.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-11-18 at 06:36 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Continuing to pray under his breath, weary of the Light dimming inside him as he has drawn more than ever, Avaris once again ignores his spiritual weapon and prays for the health of Mirafa. At the same time, he sends another crossbow bolt at the most hurt lizardman.

Show

Healing Word at Mirada as Bonus Action heals (1d4+3)[6]
    and
    Atk (1d20+4)[24] dmg (1d8+2)[6]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

The most injured of them twitches its tail once, then slumps over, nearly collapsing on top of Avaris before clattering on the ground.

Show
    Liara and Emrig are now after Mirafa, rather than that lizard.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-11-19 at 12:27 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Mira, now free of the foot holding her to the ground, gets up, and begins running toward the nearest lizardfolk.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #172

Liara indescriminately unleashes her final preapred spell. Yet another magic missile flies from her hands towards the remaining lizard creatures.

"Will you not yield?!" she screams at them, anger flaring through her.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4)[2]+1
    (1d4)[1]+1
    (1d4)[1]+1

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

The creatures hiss as Liara's shots scatter across them. One of the bolts sink into the head of the most exhausted of the lizards, and for a second you are certain it will die. But poking out of the hole in its skull, a tentacle reaches out of its brain and expands to stop the bleeding.
    The nearest lizard to Liara hisses and screeches in a more focused manner.
    Spoiler: Deep Speech
    Show
    Surrender/supplicate/heresy? Our deaths/ends mean nothing/little/mortal, our Overseer/genius/demigod will/is/has/can learn/take/strengthen* all/needed** to destroy/end/complete you***

*Root of this form of strengthen is parasitic in nature, implying the taking of strength from others.
    **The lesser form of Deep Speech's "all," referring to day-to-day "alls," separate from their higher "all" which would be all/wholeness
    ***Derogative familiar "you," as though addressed to someone who is already a slave.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-11-20 at 03:26 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Frowning at the unfamiliar and alien tongue, Emrig lets loose another arrow at the creature that just spoke, hoping to silence it.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Standard attack with longbow
    (1d20+4)[19] to hit
    (1d8+2)[5] piercing damage; + (1d8)[4] on a crit

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Emrig's arrow flies into the hole in the head of the lizard that had just... spoken? It embedded itself in the tentacle, and a squeal invades each of your minds. The lizard itself makes no scream of its own, and unlike the others that died violently, it simply crumples onto the ground as if it were switched off. Even so, the tentacles at the end of its horns thrash a moment before finally resting.
    One of the last two points its tentacles at Emrig to put the dwarf back on the ground, and though the mind spike does occur he remains on his feet. The lizard charges up to Emrig and tries to bite into the dwarf, but Emrig manages to backpedal out of the way. The other one also runs toward Emrig, abandoning its fight with Mirafa. During its run it aims its tentacles at Emrig but fails to hurt him. Finally it bites down on Emrig's neck and the dwarf collapses once again.

Show
    Emrig takes 1 psychic damage and then 5 piercing, the party is up.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-11-20 at 11:55 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Seeing Emrig go down again, Avaris reaches in the Light inside him for the last time. He has no more power to spend after that. He blesses Emrig with a Healing Word, even as he steps back to send a bolt to the lizardman.

Show
    Disengage if needed, then Healing word on Emrig for (1d4+3)[7] hps and then atk (1d20+4)[7] dmg (1d8+2)[8]

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Emrig is stirred awake once more, perhaps for the last time.

Spoiler: Liara
    Show
    This should've happened a bit ago but please make a deception check as the alien presence in your mind attempts to decipher your thoughts.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Mirafa continues her run, reaches the nearest lizardfolk, and brings her sword down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[15] Damage: (1d8+2)[7] Crit: (1d8)[3]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Liara's sword sinks into the shoulder of the lizard that had failed to bring down Emrig, and its left arm dangles uselessly as a result. It remains upright and dangerous.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris has no strength to call the grace of the Light. He mentally directs the spiritual crossbow to fire on the lizardman. He then follows with the crossbow he holds in his hands.

Show
    Spiritual weapon targeting the weakest survivor (1d20+5)[18] dmg (1d8+3)[11]
    and crossbow atk, switching if the first one dies (1d20+4)[21]
    dmg (1d8+2)[8]