New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Night Below (IC)

Mira graciously accepts the offer. But before she does, she takes out a gold piece, and places it in the older mans hand.

You have my thanks. Take this, and tonight get you and your family something better than simple rations.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

He accepts your thanks and your coin with a small smile.

Two of you now have seats for the majority of the trip.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Seeing that paying off works, Avaris approaches a different team of miners.

"Go with the Light, friends. May I entice you to give me your seats, for me and my friend? In return, I would give each one a silver piece. I will also give you another silver, which will shine like a torch for 1 hour. Would that be a fair trade?"

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Offering 3 sp, one with Light cast, for two seats. Persuasion (1d20+5)[19]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

"Right kind of you," another miner says, and he and a friend of his vacate their seats.
    You all receive a ride up to the Carmen mines and from there make your way back to the Garlstone mines. As you approach it in the daylight, the inner mine remains just as dark as when last you saw it. As you approach,

Spoiler: Perception DC 14
    Show
    There are some specks of jade on the ground.
    Spoiler: Perception DC 17
    Show
    And some honey.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing nothing immediately amiss about the entrance, you head inward only to see something immediately amiss. A loose stone by your feet grows an octopus-like beak before your eyes, and then it begins to speak.

"I saw your exploits here, and would like to start by saying that I am on your side. Say “understood” to hear the next message."
    Spoiler: Understood
    Show
    I would not recommend going through these mines at this time. If you meet with Tauster, he can help. Please say “message received.”
    Spoiler: Message received
    Show
    Tauster can connect you with allies who can help you through these mines. With their help you might not die. Please say “next message.”
    Spoiler: Next Message
    Show
    I assure you that Jelenneth and all other arcane casters kidnapped are alive and physically unhurt. I will notify you of changes. Say “Jelenneth.”
    Spoiler: Jelenneth
    Show
    The Tzakandi you faced are nothing to what awaits within those mines. You need allies to make it further. This is the final message.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-12-03 at 11:32 AM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris looks in wonder and then in concentration as the scripted message plays forth. He says the code-words until the end of the message.

When it ends, frowning, it turns to the others.

"This is an unexpected development. Whoever send this seems to know quite a bit, and does not seem to be in league with the so called Tzakandi.

What do we do? It would be a shame to come all the way here only to go back. However, our initial errand was indeed with Taucer, and this is what this girl's relatives asked us to do. So far, we have been negligent. "

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

"If they are truly safe for the moment as was suggested then it makes sense for us to return and speak with Tauster. Though it took us a while to get here it seems safer to return. Tzakandi seem like a real threat and I know nothing of them.

Who do you suppose left the message for us?"

Liara shifts uncomfortably while speaking her mind. The presence of a deeper threat weighs heavily on her mind.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Mira shifts uneasily as the messages keep going.

I would not say we were negligent. Ill prepared, perhaps, considering what we have learned of the threat thus far. But not negligent.

Mira considers the messages carefully.

I do not trust these messages myself. They reveal far too much knowledge to be anything less than dangerous. They named our enemy. And spoke of the apprentice, as well as other casters who have been taken. They know far too much to not already be involved somewhere.

I know I had suggested heading for the mage earlier, but I do not think it would be wise to go now, not on the word of someone who would not even reveal their identity to us.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #219

Liara ponders on what Mirafa just said, "It is a difficult prospect, we are more prepared than yesterday for what to face in the mines but we do not know the numbers of the Tzakandi. There could also be other threats that we do not know of yet.

The voice had a great deal of information but why would someone divulge all of that knowledge if they did not wish to warn us? It seems an odd way to ward off intruders.

Mirafa if you do not wish to seek out the wizard then do you have an alternative plan? We can venure into the mines again or return to town. I do not know what returning to town would achieve.

I could research if we return to town I suppose...

Perhaps we could learn more about the wizard in town, whether Taucer is a friend or foe and then maybe seek him out?

Emrig, Avaris?"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris looks thoughtfully ahead.

"We are rested and prepared and we came all the way here. We can at least venture a bit onwards. However, I suggest prudence. If we see that our resources or our stamina has been drained. we should turn back and go visit Taucer."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Myself and Emrig can scout ahead. We have the ability to see in the dark, and can warn you of danger ahead. The two of you can stay back with your light, so you can see. Of danger does present itself we can form a defensive unit and hold them off while we fall back if the tide turns against us.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #222

"I can see in the dark too" Liara says with a smile, "but I will stand back and rain spells from a distance. I tend not to do too well in combat."

Liara casts mage armour on herself, the magical armour shimmers in the light before becoming opaque and barely noticeable.

"I am ready, I have some new spells which should be quite effective."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check to watch out for opponents (1d20)[15]

Foresight rolls
    (1d20)[16]
    (1d20)[9]

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

"I can also see in the dark, quite well. But I am not very good at melee combat, so I will indeed stay behind.

May I suggest that you do not venture too far afield? A leap-frogging movement would be best. You can go 60 steps ahead, scout and then call us. Then 60 steps more and so on. This way, we will not be too far behind, if something happens."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Emrig nods in agreement. "After yesteday's fight I'm not all too keen on encounterin' these things again, but hopefully we'll be more prepared than last time. All the same, we shouldn't push too far ahead. We don't know who left that message, but with regards to the warning I'd say better safe than sorry." With that, Emrig moves ahead.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+4)[16] perception
    (1d20+4)[10] stealth

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Mira and Emrig remain ahead of the group as you all once again enter Garlstone Mines. Once more you come uninterrupted to a crossroads; behind you and to the right, the tunnel continues narrowly on a downward slope. Ahead of you, the cavern is wide and spacious, the walls possessing broad ruddy striations that make the wall look something like a cured side of bacon. In either direction, the darkness extends past your range of vision.
    At your feet are blood and scales, but no bodies.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-12-06 at 12:40 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris points to the tunnel ahead.

"I say we go on on this level, before going on downwards."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

As the party goes forward, Emrig for a moment sees what must be a 20 foot tall cat's head... no, false alarm. It's a rock formation that looks a lot like a cat's head. Then the party comes along a narrow passageway dominated by stalactites and stalagmites which end in globe-like protrusions. Emrig doesn't see anything, but does hear light breathing when things are still. There's certainly an ambush clumped up behind the stalagmites.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Emrig turns to the rest of the group, speaking in as low a whisper as he can. "Seems like we've got a bit of a welcome party waitin' fer us up ahead." He notches an arrow, just in case there's sudden movements. "Don't suppose any of ye carry any alchemist's fire or the like? Something to draw the buggers out?" He looks over to Avaris and Liara. "Maybe some bursts of flame?"

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris smiles a grim smile at the mention of flames.

He suddenly starts chanting and reciting Mithras' Holy Cannon.

" All you Faithfull, go forth and bring your Flame
    Light those who live in darkness and Burn those who would prey upon them"

As he speaks and gestures, a large ball of pure flame appears where the ambush is expected, hovering stationary.

Spoiler: OOc actions
    Show
    Cast Flaming Sphere dmg (2d6)[9] Dex save for half on all in 5ft

20. - Top - End - #230

Liara nods at Emrigs suggestion and hurls a bolt of flame in the general direction she thinks they are in. "That should be sufficient enough, i'll save my good spells for when they appear.

Spoiler
    Show
    firebolt (1d20+5)[23]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

As the light of Mithras harshly illuminated the gloom, screams are heard from five creatures clustered behind the stalactites.
    They don't sound like lizards.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Now it's surprise round time, everyone go ahead and post your actions with initiatives.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Emrig is taken aback by the screams; unsure what else could be hiding in these caves. He draws back the arrow, but waits until a creature shows itself with harmful intent before firing.

Spoiler: Action + initiative
    Show

(1d20+4)[11] for initiative

Holding action to fire the bow, only if a creature comes out that clearly means to attack or harm the group.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Avaris, hearing about the ambush from Emrig, placed a ball of fire in the midst of the stalactites.

Show
    (1d4+1)[3] of them end their Surprised turn within 5 feet of it and take (2d6)[3] fire damage; Liara's target will hurt (1d5)[1] in particular

As Liara hears a scream she aims a blast of fire in that direction and hears the sizzle of flame on flesh. A halfling corpse collapses and rolls out of hiding, coming into the view of the party. Another halfling-pitched voice gasps in shock.

Show
    Nobody is surprised anymore, but Liara is going before any of the people who were previously surprised.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-12-18 at 10:55 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

Upon seeing the corpse of a halfling collapse Liara stops her attack momentarily and shouts out "Surrender and we shall not harm you!"

A spell forms between her fingers but Liara is unsure of how to proceed. Perhaps they are innocent she thinks to herself.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    My mistake on that one - the enemy who came in between Liara and Avaris just died. Avaris and Emrig are up.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris keeps his flaming sphere at bay, and shouts

"Come out and surrender! Noone else must die!"

Show

Ready action to thrust the Flaming Sphere among the enemies, if the do not surrender
    (2d6)[12] dmg if needed
    Persuasion (1d20+5)[16]

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Emrig doesn't say anything, but keeps his fingers on his bowstring, and his eyes open for movement.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

One half-orc man charges from the stalactites to attack, battleaxe drawn. When he falls in fire, three others emerge from the stalactites, slowly. A halfling and two humans drop their weapons - a sling With a set of daggers, a longsword, and a mace, respectively - and lift their hands over their heads in surrender.

((We’re out of initiative.))
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-12-20 at 11:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Sword half drawn, Mira lets the blade slip back into its scabbard. She looks briefly to the ones who have surrendered, then kneels down by the half orc to see if he is completely dead, or whether he might be healed.

Show
    Making a medicine check on the half orc.

(1d20+1)[12]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He’s breathing, but fading quickly.
    Show