Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Outer Worlds: New Vegas, but it's Firefly and also Capitalism is Evil

It's called the Codex, and yeah, it's part of the quest log tab.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Outer Worlds: New Vegas, but it's Firefly and also Capitalism is Evil

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    It's called the Codex, and yeah, it's part of the quest log tab.
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've heard that the game is pretty easy, and doesn't have great scalability in terms of combat. How accurate are those claims?

Also, does the game suffer the same problem as Deus Ex, where only certain solutions/builds are actually usable? New Vegas had this problem with its last boss fight (have max Persuasion stats, or be prepared for the fight of your life), and I'd be interested to know how Obsidian learned from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've heard that the game is pretty easy, and doesn't have great scalability in terms of combat. How accurate are those claims?

Also, does the game suffer the same problem as Deus Ex, where only certain solutions/builds are actually usable? New Vegas had this problem with its last boss fight (have max Persuasion stats, or be prepared for the fight of your life), and I'd be interested to know how Obsidian learned from it.
    I feel combat is either too easy or pretty hard. You must understand how damage and armor works to get a somewhat acceptable difficulty. I play on medium with a mix of guns, sneaking skills and social skills (basically all these to 50 since you can up categories up to 50 when you then have to spent additional points in individual skills). This way I have an actually decent challenge (it is eay, don't get me wrong but I play on medium). If you went full on combat mode, you will struggle in social encounters but everything will turn into a combat encounter anyhow since you're so terrible at sneaking around. If you focus on stealth or talking, and invest NOTHING into combat, you WILL struggle with combat.

Alas I recommend at least upping a single combat skill to 50 (either melee or ranged). Melee is underwhelming imho (it takes longer to bludgeon someone to death than it takes them to riddle you with bullet holes and plasma burns) and should not be taken without defense. But stealth and social skills give combat debuffs (intimidators let human enemies flee, hackers can disable robots).

Personally I recommend a character leaning on a few areas but nothing extreme for a first playthrough. Basically don't get any attributes 'below average' since that really tanks your ability in that regard. And the extra point is usually not worth it. Below average str/dex tanks TTD (this games' VATS) so terribly it becomes basically unuseable, low intelligence ruins your chance on crits (but you can use dumb dialogue options which are occasionally useful) low perception nullifies headshots/weak points (which usually doubles damage), low charm ruins your reputation (and your companion damage) and finally low temperament disables your natural life regeneration.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

I can attest to combat not being very difficult in normal mode. I can only recall one fight near the beginning that presented any difficulty (a random bandit fight). I couldn't even get my third weakness until the end of the game.

It seems like you can beat the game with just about any build. From my experience, pure stealth builds may have some problems. But that may be because stealth has never been my forte.

Like Spore suggests, you'll probably want to level guns up to 50 (max for any skill is 100). And I recommend getting a hack skill of at least 20. A 20 hack will let you sell items at vending machines. This will usually save you from having lug your loot to a merchant (vending machines can be found everywhere).

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm sure it also depends on your skill with FPS games. I never play them, so I found the early combat to be quite tricky for the first few hours.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

End combat spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    The last level or two where everyone is armed with N-ray weapons is MUCH more difficult than the rest of the game. That said you can do the whole last level in disguise and not fight anyone at all with even moderately high speech skills.

8. - Top - End - #128

Why are there usable beds all over the worlds when sleep has no effect outside of Supernova difficulty, and in Supernova you can only sleep on your ship?
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Why are there usable beds all over the worlds when sleep has no effect outside of Supernova difficulty, and in Supernova you can only sleep on your ship?
    I suspect they might have originally had it so you *could* sleep in those beds in Supernova, but it made it too easy, maybe?

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Wait, I thought sleep was the equivalent of waiting for your Temperament stat to kick natural healing into high gear and to wait out debuff timers.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

For the ending, I went anti-Board and generally got the "third" option to resolve most major quests.

Do the references to Earth seem like a setup for a sequel? Also, I like that other colonies are referred to and they also seem to have lost contact.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Do the references to Earth seem like a setup for a sequel?
    Oh yes....
    Spoiler
    Show
    which made it a disturbing shock when it turned out there had been no messages from Earth in years, and no ship relayed to Earth in that time has been heard from since. Now that's an impressive way to shatter our expectations!
    "Only things I approve of should exist." -Some guy on the internet
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Playing through for the first time, just did the bounty quest (MacRedd) for the security folks on Groundbreaker...

Sweet holy heck, was that fight supposed to be super hard, or is it just me being bad at the game?

Also, where do I go to get hold of non-automatic long guns? please tell me there's a hunting rifle/sniper equivilent out there somewhere!
    Embracing Ponysanity since August 2011.

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Seft Sirag View Post
    Playing through for the first time, just did the bounty quest (MacRedd) for the security folks on Groundbreaker...

Sweet holy heck, was that fight supposed to be super hard, or is it just me being bad at the game?

Also, where do I go to get hold of non-automatic long guns? please tell me there's a hunting rifle/sniper equivilent out there somewhere!
    I got my first Hunting Rifle in Emerald Vale from a dead Marauder. Specifically, a Marauder Scout, but the named raider Bertie Cotton (one of the three you killed in the bounty quest from Edgewater) drops it often.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-12-31 at 12:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135

BlackDragon

I didn't find the MacRedd quest particularly difficult, but then, I took the guy himself down at the start so didn't have to worry about his flamethrower. As for non-auto long guns, you should really have already found some if you did everything possible in Emerald Vale.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Seft Sirag View Post
    One of the bounty mission targets in Edgewater has a hunting rifle which was my mainstay from the moment I picked it up all the way until the early levels on Monarch. I'm pretty sure that the weapons vendor--Belle's Shells, I think?--on the Groundbreaker sells one. Bolt action, but with the punch to make up for it if you're speccing towards sniping.

(Also, look for a Deadeye Assault Rifle once you get towards level 22. Slightly less damage than the hunting rifle, still semi-auto, but twice the firerate of the hunting rifle.)
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Y'know, I thought Edgewater was a bit lacking in quests for such a supposedly significant location.

Turns out I was still so focussed on trying to figure out UI and controls at that point I basically just followed the main quest markers on autopilot, and completely forgot to explore much beyond that. (Did Max's companion quest, but only 'cause Parvarti pointed me his way.)

whoops. I see backtracking in my future...

Anyway, thanks for the tips, looks like the Groundbreaker weapons merchant is my best bet right now.
    Embracing Ponysanity since August 2011.

18. - Top - End - #138

BlackDragon

That probably explains the issues you had with MacRedd, then, you're probably way underlevelled for that fight!

19. - Top - End - #139

I'm having a really hard time getting into this game. I've started it three times in the last two weeks, each time played for 20 minutes or half an hour, then quit again.
    For one, I don't see a really solid motivation for my character to do anything except bum around a bit. And Edgewater seems really empty, even wandering around in it for a while and talking to everyone. Everything is really quiet and a bit empty. It feels like I've been dropped off at a street corner in a small town where nothing happens and told to wander around for a few hours until my parents can pick me up again to do something actually fun. I dont' really care about any of the characters or quests either. So, I'm told to turn off power to one of two towns. Okay? Sure? One of the towns is given some evil background text on their computers and the others have plants, so they have to be good? Except turning off power to the entire company town and telling them to fend for themselves doesn't strike me as all that good either, even if that liberates them. I can't help but think the most heroic thing for my character would just be to walk away and find some other way off planet, instead of stealing an entire town's power.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

20. - Top - End - #140

BlackDragon

There actually isn't any other option, you have to turn off the power to *one* of the towns--and no, none of those is really a *good* outcome per se, but that's the whole point of the game, there is rarely an unequivocally good path to take.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    There actually isn't any other option, you have to turn off the power to *one* of the towns--and no, none of those is really a *good* outcome per se, but that's the whole point of the game, there is rarely an unequivocally good path to take.
    Spoiler: What happens in Edgewater...
    Show

....Stays in Edgewater.

I don't know. The entire of the rest the game is much more clear about its morality and its pretty clear the rebel options are the good ones for the rest of the game. I went through the whole thing taking all the rebel options and felt completely justified in doing so when the rebel endings are only slightly worse than negotiating peace, while taking the full corporate side basically has you siding with fascists and putting everyone but the rich in cryostasis for an unspecified amount of time and its never confirmed that the corporations actually come up with a way to solve it. while rebel side even if it could be better, made me feel I made the right decisions even if I didn't make the best ones.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25!

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I mean, I know the game doesn't offer any other choice. I just don't like being forced into it.
    "

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'm having a really hard time getting into this game. I've started it three times in the last two weeks, each time played for 20 minutes or half an hour, then quit again.
    For one, I don't see a really solid motivation for my character to do anything except bum around a bit.
    Yeah, I'm gonna get lynched for this but the character in Fallout 4 has a better starting motivation to get involved to be honest. While the motivation of "they kidnapped your kid, go on a murder spree to get him back" could be straight out of a Hollywood movie, the motivation of "you looked for better pastures on a cryoship, now some nutjob barely got you out of cryostasis, go do stuff" is terribly vague.

That being said, there is much space for you to input your own backstory. I'm like you, in that I actually like a more defined motivation for a character, ala Fallout New Vegas. "You are a courier. This dude shot you, go find him." What defined my characters more than defining a backstory in Outer Worlds though was how I'd approach problems. I feel you have roughly four ways to approach stuff.

'Heroic': you do what a classic RPG would want from you. Usually the best option for everyone involved, with the most amount of work.
    'Villain': Selling out the most, gaining a maximum of profit out of the situation.
    'Dumb': Me dumb, me go smash.
    'Opportunist': Well, this option is the best for ME, while not completely compromising my moral compass, ruining a major corporation or screwing over people.

I do not want to spoil you, but I have examples for every option.

24. - Top - End - #144

I made my way to the Groundbreaker now, and I think the game is getting better. The locations look more interesting, at least, we'll have to see if there's any good quests. I did manage to put the botanist in charge of Edgewater, though I'm also really annoyed I couldn't convince the former foreman to leave and put her in charge without first killing her invaluable research garden. I'm a researcher, I work with plants, just the thought of killing someone's research plants hurts.

Then I got distracted by replaying Disco Elysium.
    "

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I made my way to the Groundbreaker now, and I think the game is getting better. The locations look more interesting, at least, we'll have to see if there's any good quests. I did manage to put the botanist in charge of Edgewater, though I'm also really annoyed I couldn't convince the former foreman to leave and put her in charge without first killing her invaluable research garden. I'm a researcher, I work with plants, just the thought of killing someone's research plants hurts.
    I feel it is not a research facility as much as a proper garden. I realize her small scale operation can feed people AND be seen as a research project. But it has been pointed out several times that her garden is not large enough to feed the people in and around Edgewater. People need the canned goods, and more importantly the imports from Edgewater's space harbor.

In a way Edgewater is just a tutorial zone. But the Groundbreaker and later on Stellar Bay shows how the game kinda works. What kinda weirds me out is the thought that the planets don't seem to sustain much life, yet Stellar Bay is TEEMING with raptidons, canids and mantipillars. So that these planets cannot support life is a blatant lie. Yes, they cannot support millions of humans, but a few thousands, or in the case of the settlements ingame, a few hundred should be perfectly viable.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that the sky around Skylla is gorgeous. On landing there for the first time, I panned the screen around just to marvel at the scenery.

27. - Top - End - #147

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    What kinda weirds me out is the thought that the planets don't seem to sustain much life, yet Stellar Bay is TEEMING with raptidons, canids and mantipillars. So that these planets cannot support life is a blatant lie. Yes, they cannot support millions of humans, but a few thousands, or in the case of the settlements ingame, a few hundred should be perfectly viable.
    Spoilered for people who haven't finished the game yet:

Spoiler
    Show

The whole point is that humans can't live long-term off the alien plant and animal life of the star system in the Outer Worlds, and the crops they transplanted from Earth, living in alien soil, don't work either. This is entirely reasonable--the proteins etc. in those alien critters are quite probably incompatible and undigestible by human bowels. This is why one of the things the scientists investigated was the possibility of transplanting the gut from an alien life-form into humans, thus allowing them to process native foodstuffs and get the proper nutrition from them.

28. - Top - End - #148

It should still be possible to chemically break down native life into nutrient paste, at least. Would need huge amounts of energy and be highly inefficient, but they have spaceships, so energy can't really be a problem.

Or grow Earth plants in hydroponics with chemical fertilizers.
    "

29. - Top - End - #149

There's now more things in this game that make me facepalm, kind of. It got better, though, after I got off Edgewater. So, I'm taking Parvati with me to see captain Tennyson. Sure. She's very flustered. I tell them to get writing messages to each other, seems a good thing to do. Get a mission, walk back to my ship, talk to Parvati again, literally three minutes later, and she tells me that she apparently already has a weeks long Romance with Junlei? Uh-huh. We talk a bit more, she has romantic problems, I go get a drink with her, and the romantic problems are now solved. Total play time: about half an hour. We see Tennyson again, neither of them reacts to the other at all. No talking points about this romance. Few more hours of playing time, it's never mentioned again.

I mean, it was cute and all, but I think this game has major problems with pacing.
    "

30. - Top - End - #150

BlackDragon

There's more to that particular plotline than you're saying there, but you have to have opened up Monarch as a travel destination for it to proceed.