Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Ravnican Adventures [5e, 3rd level]

Spoiler: Image
    Show

The planet of Ravnica is an Ecumenopolis, for the last ten thousand years the city has been building on top of itself, with many ruins covered by it.

The city is dominated by the ten Guilds, these control every aspect of the life in the city, provide funds and spiritual guide to everyone in it.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running? D&D 5E

2. What is the setting for the game? Ravnica, but for the most part is my view on it, very homebrew in that sense.

3. How many Players are you looking for? 4 Players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? Play-by-post on these forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Level 3.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Starting gear as normal, determined by class and background.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Open to any official 5e, UA will need a link in order to be approved

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Any races featured on GGR (Guildmaster's guide to Ravnica), Aasimars, Tieflings, Goliaths, lizardfolk (Known as Viashino) & Triton. Any other race is probably a NO but, I guess you can always ask.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 27 Point Buy, maximum hit points for first level and rolling/average thereafter.

10. Does your game use alignment? All alignments are available, but colors will be even more important and related to their guilds. So, if you play a Rakdos character your character should be any combination of Red/Black

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Multi-classing is fine.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? I may make some secret rolls with my desk d20, but for the most part everyone will roll their own rolls as needed.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. In regards to Background spells, all charactrrs regardless of their ability to cast or not, will be able to cast the cantrips related to their guilds. If your character doesn't have access to any casting ability use a weapon as your casting focus and your higher mental stat to set attack bonus and Spell DCs.
    EDIT:Resurrection spells such as raise dead, Resurrection and reincarnate are banned for lore reasons, Revivify is allowed.
    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Short backgrounds are required and preffered, something that gives an iea where your character comes from and how they will be behaving.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? Focus on combat, there will also be a lot of roleplaying, I don't belive there will be many puzzles.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Any 5e books are okay, main source will be the player's handbook and GGR, only restricting races for flavor reasons.

Spoiler: Character considerations
    Show
    Every PC will be a member of one of the 10 guilds,, this will be reflected in their backgrounds.

A selection of 4 PCs will be done at the end of the recruitment, these will be selected by how interesting I find them and how balanced of an option is this for the party

Edit: added a ban on Resurrection spells
    Last edited by zinycor; 2020-01-13 at 06:50 PM.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Ravnican Adventures [5e, 3rd level]

This sounds really interesting! What would you say to a NG Loxodon who's an Arcana Cleric for the Izzet League? He'd basically revere Niv-Mizzet as a deity and worship his arcane knowledge lol
    Spoiler: Currently Made Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds really nice, Niv would most certainly appreciate it xD.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I am thinking of playing a melee masher, either a Boros fighter or a Gruul barbarian. I'll work on it when I get home from work.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice, very thematic.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

Seems interesting, would a Fighter who acted more as an underling thug for Orzhov Syndicate work?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbus View Post
    Seems interesting, would a Fighter who acted more as an underling thug for Orzhov Syndicate work?
    Absolutely, it fits perfectly.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Would the Artificer from Eberron be okay?

Probably gonna be Izzet.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Would the Artificer from Eberron be okay?

Probably gonna be Izzet.
    Yeah, it absolutely fits.

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

Going from Class by Guild I want to do an Eldritch Knight so how about a Goblin Fighter from Rakdos or a Transmutation Wizard from the Simic Combine.

Edit: Or Simic Combine Eldritch Knight? If all of them are fine I'll spend some time deciding. Will probably go Rakdos fighter.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2020-01-13 at 05:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Start of a character. But now, real life gaming.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Going from Class by Guild I want to do an Eldritch Knight so how about a Goblin Fighter from Rakdos or a Transmutation Wizard from the Simic Combine.

Edit: Or Simic Combine Eldritch Knight? If all of them are fine I'll spend some time deciding
    All of those seem fine (If you want you can pick the 2 schools for your eldritch knight, I never liked that they were restricted on which schools they had to pick)

13. - Top - End - #13

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    All of those seem fine (If you want you can pick the 2 schools for your eldritch knight, I never liked that they were restricted on which schools they had to pick)
    Thanks Evocation is definitely there but I imagine something else other than Abjuration will suit a Rakdos fighter better

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Evocation is definitely there but I imagine something else other than Abjuration will suit a Rakdos fighter better
    I imagine Evocation and Illusion would fit a rakdos nicely. Maybe Enchantment?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Goblin

How do you feel about Goblins, there are Goblins in Ravnica like Shattergang Brothers

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    How do you feel about Goblins, there are Goblins in Ravnica like Shattergang Brothers
    Since my main deck in MTG is a goblin Deck, I love Goblins

17. - Top - End - #17

Lizardfolk

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2100638

Glad you like Goblins cause heres one. Still need to get up a backstory but thats it mechanically
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2020-01-13 at 06:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2100638

Glad you like Goblins cause heres one. Still need to get up a backstory but thats it mechanically
    Fix the background from Jester to Rakdos Cultist

EDIT: Just to let you all know, I forgot to add a ban on resurrection spells such as resurrection, true resurrection, raise dead and reincarnate. Revivify is still allowed.

This is for lore reasons, due to guilds such as Orzhov and Golgari being all about death but having no link to abilities to resurrect people.
    Last edited by zinycor; 2020-01-13 at 06:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Lizardfolk

Fix the background from Jester to Rakdos Cultist
    Yeah just changed now, going through the guild in the guide and changing the character accordingly.

Added extra stuff, renamed Rapier to be Spiked Gauntlet for thematic reasons
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2020-01-13 at 07:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I will make the choice on what characters for this game on Thursday, to qualify for it you will need to have character Sheet ready.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I have an interest. Simic Combine Hybrid Dragon Sorcerer ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I have an interest. Simic Combine Hybrid Dragon Sorcerer ok?
    Well... Dragon Sorcerers are like Niv's thing... I guess you could be part of an experient to recreate a dragon? does that sound good to you?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Submitting Broktar the Haunted, a Trog, Gruul, Minotaur Barbarian. I'll update with a background soon.

For reference, Ancestral Guardians Path is in Xanathar's. After reading how much minotaurs value family, it seemed a natural fit.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-01-13 at 11:14 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Well... Dragon Sorcerers are like Niv's thing... I guess you could be part of an experient to recreate a dragon? does that sound good to you?
    I was thinking Silver, which doesn't really seem to fit Niv's thing. I was going to play off the subclass abilities as extra mutations, while the magic would be a side effect.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-01-14 at 12:06 AM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

Here is Sven Hildrus, Loxodon Arcane-Cleric of Niv and Magical Architect of the Izzet League

Edit: Just in case myth-weavers gets attacked again I'm adding a spoiler sheet below.

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show
    Sven Hildrus,
    Arcane Cleric of Niv,
    Izzet Magical Architect

Spoiler: General Stats
    Show
    HP: 24/24 AC: 16 (12+Con, natural armor)
    Initiative: -1 Speed: 30ft
    STR: 12 DEX: 8 CON: 15
    INT: 14 (Arcana+4, Religion+4, Investigate+4)
    WIS: 16 (Insight+5, Save+5)
    CHA: 10 (Save+2)
    Proficiencies: Light & Medium Armor, Shields, Simple Weapons, Masonry tools
    Background: Izzet Engineer
    Carrying Cap: 360 lbs (p/d/p=720)
    Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Mace: +3 to hit, 1d6+1 bludgeoning
    Light Crossbow: +1 to hit, 1d8 peircing, 80ft range
    Turn Undead: all undead within 30ft flee until they take damage, WisDC13
    Arcane Abjuration: Same as 'turn undead' but works on celestials, fiends, fey, and elementals
    Toll the Dead: WisDC13, 1d8/D12 necrotic, 60ft range
    Chaos Bolt: +5 to hit, 2d8+1d6 random energy.
    Spoiler: Info
    Show
    Depending on one of the d8's, deal a random damaging energy as per the list. If the d8 are the same, make another attack vs an enemy within 30ft. It has the chance to keep leaping this way, but can only target someone once in the same round.
    d8 / Damage Type
    1 / Acid
    2 / Cold
    3 / Fire
    4 / Force
    5 / Lightning
    6 / Poison
    7 / Psychic
    8 / Thunder
    Spoiler: Traits
    Show
    Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Standing at 7' 10" tall, with tough thick grey skin and burnt-orange colored eyes; Sven almost never dresses in armor except for his trusty shield. With his mace on his side and his 'holy symbol' in his hand, he prefers to hang back and use spells. If he runs out of spells for the day however he has no problem charging in and running down his adversaries.
    Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    I do what my gut says. It hasn't failed me yet.

Great ideas are fine, but great results are what really counts.

I'm fascinated with figuring out how things work.
    Spoiler: Ideals
    Show
    Every experiment has the potential of revealing more secrets of the multiverse.

Someday I will create something amazing that will completely draw Niv's attention toward me.
    Spoiler: Bonds
    Show
    I have dedicated my life to Niv-Mizzet and his scientific & arcane research.

I would do anything Niv asked of me. I trust his guidance in making the world a better place.
    Spoiler: Flaws
    Show
    I easily get bored while not in a lab. So if nothing is happening, I will make something happen.

I get too much into my work. I've risked my health multiple times just to finish a project.
    Spoiler: Features
    Show
    [Loxodon]
    Loyal Stonemason

Trunk (can lift pounds=5xstr score. Can manipulate many things but cannot wield weapons, shields, tools, magic items, or spell components.)

Considered Large for carry cap. only.

Advantage on all saves vs Charm & Fear.

Advantage on Perception, Survival, & Investigation checks involving scent.

[Arcane Cleric]
    Arcane Initiate

Turn Undead (30 fr radius, DC 13 Wisdom)

Arcane Abjuration (Same as turn undead except affects: celestial, fey, fiend, & elemental creatures)

[Izzet Engineer]
    Laboratory of Arcane Geometry

Urban Infrastructure (Basic knowledge of structures & architecture. Can find blueprints on buildings for special info. Your access to such information isn't unlimited. However the guild cannot help if I get myself in trouble.)
    Spoiler: Equipment & Spells
    Show
    Spoiler: Equipment
    Show
    Mace, Light Crossbow, Scale mail (not worn, I plan on selling), Shield, Izzet insignia (as his holy symbol), Masonry tools, charred pieces of a failed experiment, Hammer, Block & tackle, Belt pouch w/ 5 zino, Common clothes, Vestments, Priest's pack
    Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    Spells Prepared:
    Catrips= three
    Lvl 1= four +2 domain
    Lvl 2= two +2 domain

Spells Per Day:
    Lvl 1= four
    Lvl 2= two

Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Toll the Dead, Mending

Level 1: Chaos Bolt, Cure Wounds, Guiding Bolt, Sanctuary, Detect Magic, Magic Missile

Level 2: Enhance Ability, Silence, Magic Weapon, Nystul's Magic Aura
    Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Spoiler: Contacts
    Show
    Flitter Nightshade: a Sprite who I have met many times while guarding the Orientation Labs. She brings messages between many of the laboratories.

Kiata Brighthorn: a female Minotaur who works as a chemist in the Blistercoils. We had a romantic relationship for numerous years, but it has been even more since we have spoken last.

Theric: a crab-like Simic who I have lunch w/ sometimes to discuss and debate engineering notes and techniques.

Dramol Von: a Frontline Medic loxodon. He is a Sergeant who tried recruiting me to the Boros Legion before I decided on Izzet. He still tries contacting me every so often but he prattles on too much for Sven's liking.

Sven was born to very old Loxodon stonemasons. They had him late in life, after three other boys throughout many years. They were highly respected due to their part in some of the architecture around the Izzet League. His parents passed down their knowledge to each of their sons and taught them the ascetics of their work. Something can be very functional but it would never be pleasant to the eye unless there was a trained eye making it. Once his parents passed away just after his 50th birthday he sought-after a new source of teaching to perfect his craft. He began reading up on Niv-Mizzet, the guildmaster and learned loxodons had been building structures for the Izzet League for almost ever.

Sven began to see Niv as much more than a powerful dragon obsessed with science and magic. He was almost a god. He had been here forever. But how could he talk to someone so powerful to learn from?....So he prayed...What else could he lose besides a few minutes, talking to himself? He prayed; to an all powerful dragon seeking his wisdom, seeking his knowledge, seeking his training. All in exchange for his eternal servitude and faith. He would become a magical architecture and stonemason. But even more he would be a Cleric of Niv-Mizzet. He even built a shrine inside his home and covered in many projects and blueprints in donation to Niv. It was not until one day, he though he had screwed up a schematic and tore it to pieces. He immediately regretted it so while holding his Izzet league insignia and prayed for Niv to fix it did he received the power to MEND his mistake ;)

For the last 30+ years he has treated Niv like a god and Niv has treated him like a disciple. Or more of a needy pawn. Nevertheless the bond they share is not a fake one and he has been a devoted worshiper of this all mighty and knowing being. In doing so he gained powers almost no other healer could have through sheer faith; Arcane magic. Perhaps one day Sven could invent a magical piece of infrastructure that really gets Niv's attention and gain an even greater bond with this almost omniscient dragon/mad scientist.
    Last edited by GideonBurkheart; 2020-01-14 at 01:52 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I was thinking Silver, which doesn't really seem to fit Niv's thing. I was going to play off the subclass abilities as extra mutations, while the magic would be a side effect
    Sounds nice, I say go for it.

27. - Top - End - #27

Lizardfolk

How does everyone get the spell list on Mythweavers?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

How does everyone get the spell list on Mythweavers?
    There's a little box at the top of the 5e character sheet that says spellcaster next to it. Check the box and the spell list page will be added.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I'd like to address my interest with a LN Human Spores Druid of the Golgari Swarm.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Goblin

Yeah, it absolutely fits.
    Since my main deck in MTG is a goblin Deck, I love Goblins
    I think I will either do an artificer or a bard, a Goblin either way of course.