New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Anika knows Hannabel well enough by now to guess what that was about. 'Perhaps they'll be an opportunity to swap on the way back.' She wasn't willing to make any assumptions about what Winterscale had planned here. 'Failing that I can always get you an introduction later. I probably should see what she's been digging up.'
    "Hope so, yer ladyship. Hope so..." Hannabel mumbles with a wan smile, then gets back to scanning the treeline. Better than staring at the frackin' SKY! Doesn't it ever end?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will wish the pair well. She wasn't entirely against dynastic marriages as long as everyone appeared to be happy with the arrangement.

After Fel mentioned their exploits, 'I feel like I should get to know you better Captain. I've heard some very interesting rumours about what you've been up to lately.'

Anika will peer into the treeline. 'Camoflage?' she asks Winterscale questioningly.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

"Funny enough, no," Winterscale said. "They're bloody fast, and hard to spot, but not any harder than any other arboreal predator. Maybe we'll take a few lesser trophies along the way, if it takes a while to find one."

It did take a while, as happened, and Anika had plenty of time to talk to the other people on the skiff. Hadarak Fel proved a charming and pleasant conversationalist, if a bit foppish, but Anika never quite lost the impression that it was all an elaborate act for his own amusement. "Oh my, yes," he was saying. "We actually found the Righteous Path. That would be what you meant? It was quite the adventure. You had questions, perhaps?"

Every so often, the skiffs would pull into a hovering stop to survey the surrounding countryside. Several times they descended, pursuing low after a herd of some xenos or other, at the request of one of the passengers, and before long the cargo compartments on the skiffs - refridgerated, conveniently - were filled with several carcasses. Winterscale was growing increasingly sour as the time went on, though, and they failed to find what he was looking for. Eventually, however, Echo caught a glimpse of movement in amongst the trees. Something huge and silent, and qiet as a shadow, shifting beneath layers of dense foliage. Beneath the tree were a few scattered bones, the remains of one of the local prey animals.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

To Winterscale, 'Smart enough to stay out of the way of something they can't easily get at perhaps. Where did you find them?'

To Fel, 'Perhaps. My college's memory of last night was a little spotty. Something about a planet where time runs differently?'

5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So far, the expedition was wasted on Echo, grimly mulling over mysteries and family business in his mind. He tuned out the droning gossip around him. Nonetheless, Kennoch was well-trained to monitor his surroundings, consciously or not; his Hellpistol tilted up when he caught a flickering shape in the trees. He gripped the railing for balance and worked his way to the front of the skiff.

"Something over there something there," he pointed. "Apparently we are we not the only hunters the hunters active this morning morning morning."
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will go with him, fishing her preysense goggles out of her bag on the way. 'How big is it?'

Spoiler
    Show

I forgot I had these. It's not night but I'm looking into a darker area beneath the trees

Scrutiny vs. Per 43 (+20 if the goggles count here)
    (1d100)[77]

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius has been cheerfully chatting with his fellow Traders throughout the ride over. He's been talking to Winterscale as much as possible, trying to get a sense of the man. When Echo calls out, he turns to look into the trees. Good eyes, Navis! He strides over the the front and looks out. Can't quite make the blighter out. Captain, what are we looking at? He looks back at Winterscale.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Fel
    Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Hadarak Fel proved a charming and pleasant conversationalist, if a bit foppish, but Anika never quite lost the impression that it was all an elaborate act for his own amusement. "Oh my, yes," he was saying. "We actually found the Righteous Path. That would be what you meant? It was quite the adventure. You had questions, perhaps?"
    At the mention of the Righteous Path, Hannabel suddenly sits upright in her seat. "The Righteous Path? Lorcanus Ryn's lost treasure ship? That Righteous Path?" she quizzes the Rogue Trader breathlessly.

Hunting
    "Well he's got three eyes, of course he'd be the one to spot lurking beasties," Hannabel sniggers as Echo points out the shadow under the trees.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Fel

'I have to wonder how you even found it. A lot of people have tried over the centuries.'

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

"A planet with.. no, that wasn't mine. Trask, maybe. I think some of his men mentioned something about that to some of mine." Hadarak said to Anika. Then Hannabel burst in. "That's the one, yes!" Fel said with a smile. "I chanced upon some viable warp charts that placed it in a system once controlled by the Egarian Dominion. It's now home to feral orks, and overcoming them to sieze the location of the Righteous Path from an old Egarian observatory formed the bulk of my adventures in the system. There wasn't much else of interest around, unfortunately. The orks have broken or looted almost everything the Egarians left behind on the primary world, and of the two others one is a blasted waste, irradiated by the system's star, and the other is frozen, covered in ruins and slow-growth plants, I believe. The Egarians used it for power generation."

"Well spotted, Navis!" Winterscale bellowed, adjusting the course of the skiff. "That's what we're looking for. Everyone get a good look at it, if you can!"

Anika couldn't make it out, even with the preysense goggles. The foliage was too thick, the goggles struggling to catch a heat signature through the clustered leaves. It was certainly large, whatever it was.

"It's a Terrorax, my friends, one of the apex predators of Burnscour. Its head will make a fine trophy for the wall of whoever can land the killing blow," Winterscale pointed to the pile of refuse under the trees. "It's already building a lair, see? Brace yourselves, the sight of these monsters is enough to make strong men recoil in horror."

Shifting the skiff into hover and stepping away from the controls, Calligos retrieved a weapon case from behind the console and drew out an oversized hunting rifle. "Who wants to take the first shot?"
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2020-07-13 at 02:08 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

11. - Top - End - #431
    Banned

If no one else want to risk embarassing themselves by missing, I'll gladly take the first shot.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Aim action for +10.
    BS: (1d100)[96] vs base 75, +10 aim, +10 accurate for a grand total of 95, minus range modifiers. It has 150 base range.
    Damage: (1d10+3)[12] pen 1.

Hell, I doubt there'll be another reason to use Fate, so: Reroll if failed: (1d100)[6]

Well whoop-ti-doo, thank the Emperor for foresight =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-07-13 at 03:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"A planet with.. no, that wasn't mine. Trask, maybe. I think some of his men mentioned something about that to some of mine." Hadarak said to Anika. Then Hannabel burst in. "That's the one, yes!" Fel said with a smile. "I chanced upon some viable warp charts that placed it in a system once controlled by the Egarian Dominion. It's now home to feral orks, and overcoming them to sieze the location of the Righteous Path from an old Egarian observatory formed the bulk of my adventures in the system. There wasn't much else of interest around, unfortunately. The orks have broken or looted almost everything the Egarians left behind on the primary world, and of the two others one is a blasted waste, irradiated by the system's star, and the other is frozen, covered in ruins and slow-growth plants, I believe. The Egarians used it for power generation."
    "Well, that sounds like an absolutely grand adventure, Lord Captain," Hannabel coos. "Exploring the Egarian Dominion, battling beastly Orks, and stealing back to civilization with Lorcanus Ryn's lost treasure? Surely there's a tale worth telling in all its gory detail! At the dance tonight, perhaps?" she continues, flashing Fel her most impish smile.

Shifting the skiff into hover and stepping away from the controls, Calligos retrieved a weapon case from behind the console and drew out an oversized hunting rifle. "Who wants to take the first shot?"
    "Not me, Lord Commander. Handling such a monster of a gun is surely a task for the manliest among us," Hannabel observes wryly as Felidae takes the rifle.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, that certainly sounds like jolly good fun! And like a beast that can take a plasma round without disintegrating. Not much of a sniper, I'm afraid. That's what I have my Master-at-Arms for, what? I prefer my fights at closer range. Felidae, old sport, see if you can rile it into getting a little closer. Macharius hefts his plasma pistol, aiming it towards where Winterscale was pointing.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Fel

"A planet with.. no, that wasn't mine. Trask, maybe. I think some of his men mentioned something about that to some of mine."
    'Ah, well my college had been drinking when she heard about that. Shame about the Orks. I've only seen the Egarian ruins in pictures.'

Hunting

Anika had heard rumors about what a Terrorax was capable of, 'I'm impressed Captain. However did you manage to get it off Burnscour alive?' To Macharius, 'We really should get you a proper gun at some point, but whatever you're planning please try not to get stabbed.'

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Well, that sounds like an absolutely grand adventure, Lord Captain," Hannabel coos. "Exploring the Egarian Dominion, battling beastly Orks, and stealing back to civilization with Lorcanus Ryn's lost treasure? Surely there's a tale worth telling in all its gory detail! At the dance tonight, perhaps?" she continues, flashing Fel her most impish smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'Ah, well my college had been drinking when she heard about that. Shame about the Orks. I've only seen the Egarian ruins in pictures.'
    "I'd be delighted," Fel said, "to have a dance with either of you two lovely ladies. I also have some picts from the expedition, if you'd like to see those? A matter for later."

Anika had heard rumors about what a Terrorax was capable of, 'I'm impressed Captain. However did you manage to get it off Burnscour alive?'
    "Carefully!" Winterscale laughed, as Felidae lined up her shot. "Webbers, stasis caskets, and we still lost a few armsmen. Burnscour's a terrible place, but the creatures it breeds make some of the finest hunts in the expanse.

Then Felidae fired, and a high-pitched screech from the trees rattled their eardrums. It was quickly joined by an answering screech, and a flurry of movement amongst the foliage. Claws flashed and trees swayed as the monsters, dripping jaws open wide, swarmed up the branches towards the hovering skiffs. It was a good distance to the canopy, though, with nothing but air in between. There was no way for the creatures to reach them, was there?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

16. - Top - End - #436
    Banned

Felidae tracks the beast as it climbs quickly towards then, aims and fires again.

Felidae also doesn't believe they're likely to be able to jump up to the skiffs. But mumbles: How about I just keep raining laser fire on them, just in case. It's a hunt, not a macho strutt-off, after all.

Although .. well, possibly there's little real difference.

Show

Attack, BS: (1d100)[19] vs. 95 - or 105, if they're at short distance
    Damage: (1d10+4)[6] pen 3, bonus damage for aim (2d10)[1][5](6)
    Potential RF, confirm BS: (1d100)[5], damage: (1d10)[1]
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-07-16 at 12:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel leans lazily over the side of the skiff to get a better look at the great monsters. "I hope those things can't jump, Lord Winterscale?"

She then draws a shardgun, aims for the head of the closest Terrorax and pulls the trigger.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Free action: Quick draw shardgun.
    Full action: Called shot to the head (1d100)[39] vs. 50 (BS 60, red-dot laser sight +10, called shot -20); +10 more if range is less than 20m; any bonuses for size?
    Damage (1d10+5)[6] or (1d10+5)[7] plus Toxic
    Last edited by rax; 2020-07-16 at 06:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

To Fel, 'Perhaps later then.'

At the sound of the second shriek Anika will mutter 'Oh Throne there's two of them.' She'll draw her bolter and try and get a shot off at the closest Terrorax. Wouldn't do to show any sign of panic in front of Winterscale.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Half Action - Ready Bolter
    Half Action - Fire

vs. BS 36 (Size?) (Short Range?)
    (1d100)[94]

Damage (1d10+5X, Tearing)
    (1d10+5)[10] or (1d10+5)[13]

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius looks down at the charging Terroraxes. They're frightening, of course, but at the end of the day they're just vicious animals that want to eat him alive. Compared to some of what they've seen, the merely physical danger seemed... pedestrian. Ugly blighters, what? I can see why they didn't catch on as house pets. He aims his pistol at the one Felidae shot and pulls the trigger.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Macharius is Jaded, so he's immune to Fear from mundane things anyway. Aim and shoot with the plasma pistol.[roll[1d100[/roll] vs 56+ any size mod, (1d10+6)[15], pen 6

EDIT got the to-hit to work in the OOC, so the bastard gets a face/mandible/thorax full of plasma.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-07-16 at 11:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440

Lizardfolk

More concerned than afraid--these beasts could only consume his body, not his soul--Kennoch trusted that Winterscale could pilot the skiff well enough to keep them at a relatively safe distance. If not, some of these half-mad Rogue Traders were bound to jump in for glory or death and give him time to escape before a Terrorax peeled him out of his void-suit like a canned snack. With both hands on the side of the skiff, Echo breathed slowly, focused on his target, and let his will flow through the MIU. His Hellpistol hummed with energy.

Patience. Patience. Better a single shot that aims true, than a thousand blind rounds.

The Navis exhaled fully; a mechanical hiss, a quick flash of light, and the decorative weapon launched its ray toward the xeno he originally spotted. Hopefully a miss wouldn't catch the trees on fire. Though that, too, would be a spectacle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Been years since I used this combat system, and I've got a few modifiers to juggle, so I hope I get this right.

The MIU Weapon Interface lets me shoot the Hellpistol as a Free Action, so can I take the full-round Aim for a +20 bonus and still shoot the same round? I'm also not sure about range/size modifiers.

To Hit (BS 40, MIU +10, Red-Dot Sight +10, Aim +20/10 = 80/70): (1d100)[6]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[5]

~ Sophistemon

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

As the monsters exploded out of the canopy, launching themselves upwards with powerful legs, they were met with answering fire from the hunting party. Macharius and Felidae both scored hits, plasma splashing across the lead creature's lightly armoured head. The Terrorax shrieked in pain, its jump failing to bring it close enough to the skiff for purchase - Winterscale had judged the capabilities of the creatures well. The second one flung itself at them, as hard as it could, and still never made it within striking distance.

"Haha, you see? Can't get us up here!" Winterscale laughed, as the pair of Xenos plummeted to the ground below. They shrieked again, and then scuttled into the trees and out of sight. Winterscale's mirht changed in an instant, and he worked the controls, dropping them several meters. "Well, don't let them get away!"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #442
    Banned

How dumb are these creatures, Felidae wondered to herself, and are we dumber if we follow them when they retreat.

Outloud she just mumbled where do you think you're going, beastie? And fired yet again.

Show

Aim, then fire.
    BS: (1d100)[75] vs 95 plus modifiers. They might still be at short range?
    Damage: (1d10+3)[7] bonus damage (2d10)[6][6](12)
    In case of RF, comfirm BS: (1d100)[40]
    More damage:
    (1d10)[9]
    (1d10)[3]

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel sniffs slightly in annoyance as her shot fails to visibly damage the Terrorax. Undeterred, she takes aim again, looking for a weak spot on the nearest beast's head.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Full action: Called shot to the head (1d100)[72] vs. 70 (BS 60, red-dot laser sight +10, Enormous +20 called shot -20); +10 more if range is less than 20m
    Damage (1d10+5)[14] or (1d10+5)[13] plus Toxic

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not very brave, are they? Rather unsporting of them to run so quickly. Macharius aims and fires at the wounded beast.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Aiming! Shooting! (1d100)[3] vs 76

Damage (1d10+6)[10], pen 6

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will try and line up another shot on the creature as it was getting away. If I was an apex predator how angry would I be about a load of people shooting me.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Awareness in case there's another one we can't see
    vs. Per 43
    (1d100)[86]

Half Action - Aim
    Half Action - Shoot the closest

vs. BS 36 (+10 Aim) (+20 Size) (+10 Short Range)
    (1d100)[43]

Damage 1d10+5 X Tearing, Pen 4
    (1d10+5)[10] or (1d10+5)[13]

26. - Top - End - #446

Lizardfolk

This might be unfair, Kennoch thought placidly as he took aim again, but the xenos would treat us no better. If we follow them into the trees where they'll enjoy more advantageous terrain, then we'll see as much firsthand. Regardless, killing them does the galaxy a favor.

Spoiler
    Show
    To Hit (BS40, +10 Aiming, +10 Red-Dot, +10 MIU, +20 Size): (1d100)[29]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[10]
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2020-07-23 at 09:38 PM.

~ Sophistemon

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

With incredible speed, the retreating creature ducked around a tree, Felidae's shot throwing up chunks of dirt where it had been standing moments before. Its new path put it at a good angle for the others, though, and the combined fire of Macharius, Anika and Hannabel sent it crashing to the ground in a heap. This elicited a screech of rage from the other, whcih turned to look back at the skiffs just long enough for Echo to wing it with a shot from his helpistol before vanishing into the forst.

"Damn!" Winterscale cursed, making to bring the skiff down for a landing. "Got one of them, though. I think your crew did most of the work on that, Absalom, so the trophy goes to you by rights. Let's go get it, shall we?"

The runners of the skiff settled to the grass, and no sooner had it done so than Winterscale had jumped down and drawn his storm bolter, heading for the treeline. Behind them, the other skiffs fell in, their pilots settling them down nearby.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

As the skimmer descends Anika will suspiciously keep an eye on the trees and edge closer to Felidae. There were other hunts planned so how many of those things were out here?

She'll turn to talk to Winterscale, 'Captain, would it be unsporting to ask how many of those things are out here .... oh he's off already...and with no guards.' The man was supremely confident. She'll follow, 'I think we should help him out.'

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I'll...uh...I'll stay here and...uh...keep guard, if it's all the same to you," Hannabel whispers through gritted teeth to Anika. Holstering her pistol she backs away slowly until she's standing by the pilot's seat.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius holsters his pistol and leaps out a moment after Winterscale, his armor's servos allowing him to easily vault the side of the skiff. Splendid! Nothing like a little hunt in the morning to get the blood flowing. Come, my friends, the Emperor favors the bold! He strides alongside his host, drawing his power sword and thunder hammer. He laughs as they crackle to life, power fields sizzling in the morning dew. Let's see if they're a little less timid up close, shall we? Hohoho!
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-07-24 at 07:42 PM.