New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

Morwenna

Well, that sounds delightful. Have to have a little retreat on solid ground, what? Can't spend all of our lives cooped up on a ship. Some pict-captures would be splendid- why don't I send you the coordinates of where we're staying? He shares the location of their rooms with a smile. I assume you're not carrying brochures around with you- they'd ruin thee line of that dress.

------------

Anika

Of course, old chum! I suppose at some point I have to think about the future of the dynasty. We've almost died a few times now, and what would have happened to the Warrant if we had? The God-Emperor saw us through, so he must want the line to continue. I don't want to squander His beneficence, after all! He walks away with a chuckle, bravely suffering chatting with rich beautiful women for the sake of God and family.

------------

Armengardes

A Shrike indeed, Lord-Captain Armengarde! He sweeps in with an exaggerated gesture and a broad smile. Nothing like a fast ship to get you to where there's fortunes to be made. It does lack in ornamental scrollwork and places to store Grox for shipping, so I suppose I shall have to pass up the more sedate shipping routes and am condemned to a life of excitement and exploration. He laughs, clearly taking lightly any attempt to make him seem less important due to his ship. But I don't suppose you came all this way just to talk ships, hoho! Lady Igraine, I presume? He bows to the daughter grandly, still laughing.
    --------------

Alydda Kros

Macharius moves to stand at the railing with her, and lifts his glass in greeting. Macharius Absalom. I know how these large parties can be, hundreds of captains, all with similar stories of planets discovered and fortunes made. Where would home be?

---------------

Charlabelle Armelan

Macharius strides over to greet her. The pleasure is mine as always, Lord-Captain Armelan. Some little deals here and there, but we haven't been much involved to this point. Still, where there's a Munitorum need, the faithful respond, for the Imperium and profit, as they say. Is that where you've been occupied recently? I do have some shipping agreements with the Mechanicum, so leveraging that into shipping lasguns should be eminently doable. We're no Trade-Admirals yet, but there's always tomorrow, what? He chuckles.

---------------

Trask

Macharius looks at Trask seriously for a moment. Well, Lord-Captain, I wouldn't have to chase so many pirates if they'd stop running away. He bursts out laughing and claps him on the back in turn before taking a drink. Can't let you have all the fun, now can I? Figured I had to get going on it, before you wiped out all the xenos that could pose a challenge! Haven't seen him yet. I suppose that right moment hasn't arrived. What's the point of hosting a big party if you can't make a bigger dramatic entrance, after all?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Distillery

"He comes by sometimes, but not very often, and it's never been while I'm here. To be honest, we hardly ever see him. He's usually off somewhere aboard the Emperor's Vow, adventuring. So it's fine, I suppose? We always get paid, and the wages are fair. Better than some places I've heard of."

Gardens

The speaker's companions laughed. "I like her, Aldo," one of them said.

"Yeah," another nudged the large man - Aldo, apparently - in the ribs. "Yeah, this is Winterscale's right. So that must make you Viscount Aldo, or summat."

"What kind of Noble do you get to be for claiming a chunk of land somebody else owns?" A third, nearer to Felidae, asked her. "I want to be that kind."

"Shut up, all of you." Aldo lumbered to his feet. "You wants to pay your respects, Lady Bolterface? Alright. We was gonna do arm wrestling anyways. So how about you go first?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you agree to arm-wrestle Aldo, make a Strength test.

Library

Alethea nodded. "The life of the travelling academic can be challenging in unforeseen ways. You way certainly send requests here. Usually it's not too busy, and I will do my best to respond. I know a few people in Calixis as well. Follow me."

The Librarian led the way through the stacks, to a small and cluttered office at the rear of the library. The desk was stacked with books and scrolls, many of which had bookmarks sticking out from between the pages. The walls, excepting a small patch where Alethea had hung some framed credentials, were lined with shelves. There was an ancient card catalogue, a personal cogitator unit, and a single wide desk luminator with a green shade. Opening one of the drawers, the librarian extracted a stack of ident-wafers, and waved one under an imprinter next to the cogitator. She handed it to Anika.

"This will get you into the special collections. Don't lose it. If you're interested in early history, Sebastian Winterscale's journals might be a good place to start. They were moved here after the library was constructed."

Menagerie

The menagerie's curator was a stocky, well-muscled man, with a face covered in a patchwork of scar tissue. One eye had been replaced with a bionic, as had both legs. Judging by the crushing handshake he gave Kennoch, there were probably a few replacement fingers as well.

"There's a few trappers I contract for the local game, though what with old man Winterscale filling up the place with exotic monsters from his travels, there's little enough room for them now. I could probably have something sourced for you. Any sort of animal you had in mind? Mammalian, like your golden friend there, or something else. Perhaps most importantly..." he grinned. "How deadly you want it?"

Ballrooms

"Kennoch? Hm, interesting. I'm called Lorenzo. I go where the Monk goes, wherever that may be. Coming down here, well, bit of both. Opportunity to sample a few nice wines, pick up a few pices of pertinent information. Never know who you're going to bump into at one of these, or who might know something useful." Lorezno Mercator gestured at the Monk, who was engaged in conversation with Anika. "Run across a lot of interesting types, following him around."

"Oh, they do," Monk was saying. "One has to be careful showing off Eldar toys, or they might find themselves under attack by a band of angry corsairs. I admit curiosity myself regarding their provenance. I'm expecting spirited bidding over those, and might well have a flutter myself. My interests tend towards the esoteric, and so perhaps I might try for a few other small items. The fingerbones, I can tell you, really are Saint Asceline's. Quite a good story, there."

Macharius' Conversations
    Morwenna

"Of course not, dear, it would be quite improper to try simply handing such things out at an event like this. I'll have one sent over." She smiled, and drifted off through the party. Following now might make Macharius look a little too overeager.

Armengardes

Taking the remark lightly seemed to have been the correct response. Aoife softened somewhat, though Macharius still detected something of an edge in her posture. "There is something to be said for fast, and for excitement," she agreed. "Though if one is serious, I'd expect some efforts in moving towards bigger and better things. Do you have any plans for fleet expansion, Captain Absalom? With all we've heard, I'm sure we'd be interested to have the story from the source. Some of those xenos artworks your dynasty turned up a while back are quite intriguing."

Igraine, for her part, simply looked pleased to have someone to talk to who wasn't her mother. "You presume correctly, Lord-Captain." She offered a small curtsy in response to the bow. "Yes, tell us, what sort of excitement and adventure have you been condemned to?"

Alydda

"Eustis Majoris, originally. I haven't been back in some years, though. I was the last Kros born there, after the dynasty started shifting its interests to Cantus. So I suppose it'd be Cantus, now, on the far end of Calixis from here. How about you?"

Charlabelle

"Yes. I've sunk a considerable fortune into building and acquiring manufactorums, though there have been some minor issues with food supply. I'm hoping to establish some Agri-worlds in the Expanse to make up the shortfalls. As you say, there's always tomorrow, and money is money. Alas that the Grace of Sopha is not a warship. I'm well equipped for shipping, but frequently find myself in need of extra firepower."

Trask

"That's the truth, by the Emperor. Soon as I can afford to have a party this lavish, I'll call myself a success." Trask paused for a beat, looking serious, then echoed Macharius' laughter. "...And then I'll set out to make twice as big a fortune, just so I can afford to do it again. What sort of xenos beast do you think would be most impressive to ride in on? There are some madmen on Vaporius who go about on giant sandworms, or so I've heard."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #333
    Banned

Felidae is strong - in her power armor, very strong indeed - but maybe not quite as strong as the vat grown muscles of Aldo. However, it's not always about winning or losing, so she hunkers down for the arm wrestling match.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Strength: (1d100)[37] vs 42 - and since this is a party, and I don't expect to need Fate for anything else, I'll reroll a failure, so: (1d100)[42]

Let's see what you can muster, Viscount Aldo! She smiles dangerously at the big man.

A noble who claims someone else's land is a usurper, and they usually get hung from a high pole. At least back on the craphole I'm from. But then, we also wore kilts in both summer and winter, so maybe not put too much weight on how we did things.

I mean, we had some cold winters. Damn those bloody kilts.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-05-16 at 02:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Menagerie

"Slightly less dangerous slightly than the point where the point point where it cannot be cannot safely contained safely safely," Kennoch answered, only partially in jest. He tucked his hands back into his sleeves to rub his aching fingers in private. "The exact type the is less important less." Then he thought back to the owls guarding the library. "If you can find you find something with wings something, that would be welcome would be would be."

Ballrooms

"I can only imagine can only," Echo agreed, pict-lens still mostly following the Monk. "My captain captain captain captain roams widely too widely. We only just returned only just from the Heathen Stars Heathen the Heathen Stars." The broad details of their adventure were bound to spread, probably from Macharius himself, but for the moment Kennoch teased that information in the hopes that he could get something for it in return. Thus: "I'm sure we missed sure we some recent events recent in that time in that that time. Have you heard have you any intriguing gossip gossip?"

I certainly won't trade you my new Warp Chart, not for anything less valuable, but you might earn some pieces. Hmm. The predators I avoided along the journey would interest me, were I to hear about them. That's at least a place to start.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Library

'My thanks. I admit I expected getting in here would be harder.' Anika will slip the ident-wafer into her bag. 'I'll make sure I'll put everything away properly when I've finished. Sebastian would be the only other Winterscale I've heard of. I'd imagine his diaries would be something to see.'

Inside the special collections Anika will go looking for Sebastian Wintersale's journals.

Spoiler
    Show

Going to take the opportunity to research whatever xenos or human civilisation may have been in Winterscale's realm before the Imperium.

Scholastic Lore (Archaic) if needed
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[59]

Ballrooms

To Monk, 'But it would get them to talk to you...assuming you could persuade the Corsairs not to kill you anyway. Worth a thought. If you're set on the Eldar weaponry I won't talk you out of bidding on them, but if you win I wonder if you'd mind conferring if you turn up anything interesting. I'd be happy to return the favour.'

'The Saints are more Macharius' business, but I've at least heard of Asceline. How can you be sure they're genuine? I'm sure the real thing exists somewhere but people do like to profit off the religious.'

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Distillery

"He comes by sometimes, but not very often, and it's never been while I'm here. To be honest, we hardly ever see him. He's usually off somewhere aboard the Emperor's Vow, adventuring. So it's fine, I suppose? We always get paid, and the wages are fair. Better than some places I've heard of."
    "Sounds like a decent enough chap," Hannabel replies. "I've heard of Rogue Traders that treat their employees little better than slaves," she continues, shaking her head in disapproval. "Last question of the day then! Would you happen to know what Winterscale's favourite tipple is, and where can I get some?"

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Armengardes

But of course, Captain! As convenient as the Shrike may be, she's not the only ship we have. Pirate hunting has proved quite profitable for me in that regard. It's truly the best of both worlds, hoho, the thrill of the chase and a good battle to whet the appetite, followed by the capture of a new ship here, a space station there. Unfortunately, many of the blighters explode before we can take them, but what can you do? He laughs. I suppose I shall have to keep chasing old Mission's boys, what? They are jolly good sport. Between pirate hunting, our little jaunt into the Processional, and conquering the odd xenos planet, life manages not to be too dull.

Alydda

Well, home is where you make it, what? Calixis, originally, Aretz Bhaile system. It's been many years since I've been there, though. That's quite the journey. I take it you're expanding your house's presence in the expanse? Quite enough treasure out here for all of us, if I do say so myself. What do you make of it so far?

Charlabelle

I see. Well, there's certainly enough land out here for an agri-world or a thousand. A good warship is, however, quite often necessary. He smiles at her. Although a multitude of what one lacks can be made up for in friends, I always say. I don't have much in the way of transports, personally, but the Sting is quite excellent at taking on obstacles to shipping, as is the rest of my little fleet. Perhaps we could work out some sort of arrangement.

Trask

Now that would be a sight to see. Perhaps an ambull? Someone has to be the first to survive the attempt, what? Macharius laughs heartily. It would certainly make an impression.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-05-18 at 06:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Distillery

"Well enough, anyways. I'd rather be working for Winterscale than Chorda," the woman said. "As for what he likes to drink? Well, anything and everything, if you believe the stories, but he's partial to rum. There's a kind they brew on Spectoris, using some sort of ocean plant. You'd have to go there to get it, though, or have it imported. Winterscale tried having it grown here, but they couldn't get the water right and it all died off."

Gardens

Aldo stepped up, taking Felidae's hand in his and settling into his chair. The match wasn't short - Felidae put up a good fight, muscles straining, and if she'd had her armour she might well have won - but Aldo had the advantage of grafted strength, his muscles enhanced beyond normal human levels. Inch by bloody inch, he forced Felidae's arm down, sweating and grunting. The others crowded in around them, making idle remarks and betting on the outcome, but for the most part they were silent - until Aldo won. Then the group erupted in cheers, stomping and clapping. Aldo leaned back, wiping his forehead with the back of his massive hand.

"Hah! You got spirit, I'll give you that. Alright lads, who's next? Somebody get Bolterface here a drink, she's earned it."

One of the men pressed a mug into Felidae's hand, and pulled her away from the table, while another stepped up to take her place.

"Aldo always wins," the small one who had given her the drink said, "None of us has beat him yet. You stepped up to the plate, and that makes you good enough in our books. Which lot are you with?"

Library

"It's more about intent than anything. I'm happy to grant access to a fellow academic for research purposes, someone I know will treat the volumes with care and respect. Too many people just want to see what's in there, or carry it off and resell it."

The restricted collection was held in the smallest of the three libraries, though in terms of the decor it was much the same. Anika found Sebastian's journals on a shelf of their own, a series of thin, dusty volumes kept behind protective glass. The library included a small reading room, which offered gloves and other protective equipment to avoid damaging the books. The jornals were cracked and faded, the paper on which they had been written yellowed with age. Sebastian Winterscale had a strong hand, and a peculair way of writing that spoke of an upbringing far from Calixis. He had kept studious records of everything he found in Winterscale's realm, planets, names, stellar data, and of course, contacts with xenos species. His travels in Winterscale's Realm had been systematic, documenting each world before moving on to the next, and he had made contact with dozens of non-Imperial human civilizations. On several occassions, he had carried pilgrims aboard his ship, bringing these civilizations into contact with the Imperium and worship fo the God-Emperor.

For the Xenos, he had no mercy - species were wiped from the galaxy, their ruined cities plundered for wealth. He had clashed with the Orks, Rak'gol, and Eldar, and walked ruins Anika could only assume belonged to the Yu'vath. He made multiple references to a species he called Cyclodeans, large bird-like creatures with colourful feathers and wicked curved beaks. They had owned several systems, when Winterscale found them. By the time he was finished, they were all dead. A similar fate had met the Talang - clawed, multi-limbed, chitinous monsters with whom initial contact had been an ambush. Sebastian had lost two ships before managing to beat back the Talang, and after that point had seemed to make it a personal mission to hunt them down. In all likelyhood, these journals were one of the only records of them that remained.

Menagerie

"Wings? There are a few native avians, I could probably find something. Most of them aren't dangerous, though."

Ballrooms

"I'm no stranger to the concept of charlatans, believe me," the Monk said with a smile, "but provenance is the key. I've done my research. Saint Asceline's body was moved after she was canonised, from Malfi to Veneris. She's got a tomb there now, underneath the mountain with her face on it. It's quite nice, actually, very impressive, but the right hand is missing. The bones were taken and placed in reliquaries, which were given to Purity Lathimon just before the voyage that charted The Maw. I believe Lathimon gave the Saint a good deal of credit for the success, but she gave the relics to a group of Ascelenite Pilgrims rather than return to the Expanse herself. The last known group of pilgrims to carry the bones had booked passage with Sebastian Winterscale. After that, the Ascelenite order lost track of the relic, but old Sebastian didn't. Story in the family is that they were gifted to him by the pilgrims after he personally led a force of armsmen to their defense."

Lorenzo nodded, giving Echo a sidelong glance. "The Heathen Stars? What took you out that way? I'm sure any gossip I've picked up is far less interesting than your own adventures, but since you asked..." The Mercator tapped his chin with a long finger, clearly debating how much to say. "Lady Ambra Malaspina is in the Expanse. Out near the Rifts of Hecaton. Malaspina Navigators served on Kobras Aquarre's ships, you know. The common thinking is that she's looking for them, but nobody really knows."

Macharius
    Armengardes

"The Processional? You found it?" Aoife's eyebrows shot up. "That must have been all manner of interesting. I've been trying to get Wrath Umboldt to tell me about it forever, but it's always 'next time.' All respect to the man and his experience, but I've been curious about that place for a long time."

Igraine, by contrast, wanted to hear more about the pirates. "Misson's one of the big pirate captains, but I don't know much about him."

Alydda

"Yes, Father is trying to build our interests out here. It's..." she waved a hand at the sky, indicating the vastness above them. "overwhelming. There's so much that's never been explored, out here, so many planets and things no-one has ever even seen. Where to even begin?"

Charlabelle

"If you're offering, I'm interested. It's nearly impossible to take on any of the really profitable shipping contracts without some dedicated escorts, and I can't..." Charlabelle cut herself off with a sigh. "Well, I simply don't own any warships just yet. I'd like to acquire some, but that mostly means salvage, which means I need to pick a fight and win it. Seeing as that isn't an option, I'll need to acrue extensive capital. It's a difficult market to break into. But if you were willing to back me up, perhaps..."

She let the sentence hang there, waiting to see how Macharius would respond.

Trask

"It would, by the Emperor, if you could ever get one of the cursed things to sit still long enough to put a saddle on it!" Trask drained his glass, and cast around for a servant so he could get another one. "Nice chatting, Absalom, but I think I see Tanak Valcetti over there. He made a fortune off the Scarus trade routes last year, and I want to see if I can get a piece. Unless there was something else?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well enough, anyways. I'd rather be working for Winterscale than Chorda," the woman said. "As for what he likes to drink? Well, anything and everything, if you believe the stories, but he's partial to rum. There's a kind they brew on Spectoris, using some sort of ocean plant. You'd have to go there to get it, though, or have it imported. Winterscale tried having it grown here, but they couldn't get the water right and it all died off."
    "A shame for Winterscale, but lucky for Spectoris, I guess," Hannabel chuckles. "Thanks for the drinks and the chat, but I'd best be off and make myself presentable before the real party begins!" she says. Downing the last of her drink, she shakes the woman's hand and then strolls off in the direction of the Absalom rooms, with only a slightly unsteady step...

10. - Top - End - #340
    Banned

Felidae tries to stretch the soreness out of her arm - then bows, very courtlike, to Aldo:

Well fought, Viscount - though I admit defeat. There is no dishonor in courageous retreat before a stronger enemy. She accepts the offered drink, and proposes a toast: To Viscount Aldo, Soverign Ruler of .. this patch of ludicrously expensive imported bushes. She smiles her most crooked smile, downs the drink, then turns to the guy who offered it.

I'm with the upstart - Macharius .. although, do not let him know I called him that, I'd never hear the end of it. Ever. Truth be told, his carta or whatever is ancient beyond belief, but .. I knew him when he had nothing but a rickety old boat to his name, barely spaceworthy.

Now tho, he's all high and mighty, getting invited to balls, building dynasties .. the whole Rogue Trader thing.

What about you guys - who are you with?

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Library

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "It's more about intent than anything. I'm happy to grant access to a fellow academic for research purposes, someone I know will treat the volumes with care and respect. Too many people just want to see what's in there, or carry it off and resell it."
    'Oh money's never been a problem. And I think all these books are better off in a place like this.'

In the library Anika will take notes on her datapad, paying particular attention to any mention of the Yu'vath. Sebastian would probably have got on well with Macharius. It was probably for the best that Sebastian had acted that way but you could never tell what remnant might have survived somewhere out here.

Ball Rooms

Anika was impressed without being completely convinced, 'It's a credible story. Assuming we can take Sebastian Winterscale's word for it. Still, I suppose even being mostly certain of their provenance is good enough by itself. You think there's any truth to the stories about what the bones of a Saint are capable of?' She wondered what his interest in them was. Maybe the man was more pious then he appeared.

12. - Top - End - #342

Lizardfolk

Menagerie

"In that case case case, what is dangerous what is?"

Ballroom

Surprised, Echo glanced away from the chattering captains to look at Lorenzo. "Their Novator Novator Novator Novator is here personally is here?" The Malaspina struck him as even more ill-omened than House Mercator, but this news was still worth having. Kennoch wondered why an Inquisitor would suffer the company of such guides, except perhaps to watch them closely. Maybe Aquairre was attracted to their boldness. If Lady Ambra truly is after his lost fleet, better that it were found by Navigators of higher quality. I might speak with Macharius and the Seneschal about this later tonight. Not that I particularly want to launch into the Rifts on such a thin rumor, without pursuing more information first.

"Very curious very," he murmured after a bit of thought. "Thank you thank thank you. By comparison by, our voyage seems routine voyage seems." Echo had no reason to disclose the weakness or oddities of the local Mechanicus chapter they'd rediscovered, let alone the destination and purpose for their new mining equipment, but otherwise, the highlights of their adventures seemed fair game. "We flew to Viatrames we flew, a hellish desert hellish full of lost souls full lost, trapped by bureaucracy trapped. Proper stewardship of the planet proper planet is tied up is by the Administratum by the. They have not have not fared well without authority fared authority. All manner of manner unfit leaders unfit filled the vacuum filled. Of course of course, my Lord-Captain my had little patience had patience for the local heathens local and handily brought them to heel brought them. Killed the old barbarian warlord killed barbarian in a death race death race death race, if you can if you believe it believe. Only a matter only of time before time they are returned they are to the Emperor's light Emperor's Emperor's Emperor's light."

Kennoch dipped his head lower over his drink, and his reverberating voice softened. Even if his quiet words traveled beyond the other Navis, they should still be safe from unworthy ears.

Spoiler: Secret Tongue (Navigator)
    Show
    In their kind's private language, Echo conveys that: Along our route, I avoided a cluster of warp-predators. I could only observe so much, without a full encounter, but of course, I took notes as best I could. Perhaps you would find them interesting.

~ Sophistemon

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Armengardes

Of course! It was quite the experience. A system's worth of ships, ripe for the taking. For those who don't mind a little risk, of course, hoho! They might need a little patching up, but the ships we capture in battle aren't exactly pristine either, what? Speaking of, Mission's supposed to be one of the big pirate captains. They say that he has quite the fortune stashed away somewhere. He's a bold blighter, we stopped some of his boys from attacking the Navy. Anything to help out the Imperium, eh? And it didn't hurt to add to the fleet.

Alydda

With what's in front of you, and dreams of what comes next, I always say. It's a vast expanse, but in the moment there's the one planet, the one deal, the one enemy. It's not so overwhelming if you keep your eyes on what's at hand. And then, of course, take the time between deals and enemies and conquests to decide what you want. That's the wonderful thing about the vastness, Lady Kros: anything you could ever want is out here somewhere.

Charlabelle

Perhaps we could both make a fortune? I do like the sound of that. Besides, if we get attacked by pirates we can both add to our little fleets. I've found the best way to acquire warships is often taking the ones shooting at you. This could work out very nicely indeed.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Gardens

"Well," the small one said, as another person lined up to have a go at arm-wrestling Aldo, "me an' Aldo, we're with Trask, and so are the three Plinus brothers over there. We've all been here before, which is how we all met that lot over there..." He indicated a group sitting on an ornamental park bench that was probably worth more than any of them would ever see in their lifetimes. They grinned back, and raised their mugs to Felidae.

"They're with Jacub von Jacub, and the frakker who never smiles is with Hadarak Fel. I think you're the only new person... or at least the only new one in the last few years who's actually taken Aldo up on the arm wrestling."

Library

Sebastian had written extensively, but his notes on the Yu'Vath were minimal. Anika did find references to ruins on a number of planets she hadn't yet visited, located all across Winterscale's Domain. The old Yu'Vath empire had been huge - likely bigger than anyone in the Imperium had realised at the time. By the time of Winterscale's travels, however, it had been reduced to scattered constructs and ruined cities, and Sebastian himself had never fought any of the larger stellar constructs.

Menagerie

"From here?" The curator scratched his chin. "The bloodrats can be pretty nasty. That's mostly because they come in swarms, though. You see one bloodrat, there's another five hundred somewhere nearby."

Ballrooms

"That I don't know," The Monk admitted, "but it would be tremendously interesting to find out, don't you think? Asceline is a saint for travelers and explorers in any case, so I'd say it can't hurt."

"She is. Curious, don't you think?" Lorenzo smiled, an unsettling expression on him. "I had not heard of Viatrames. A death race? Most exciting."

Spoiler: Secret Tongue: Navigator
    Show
    Lorenzo dipped into the shared Navis language, in deference to Echo's own use. I would be interested to see your notes, yes, especially from such an untravelled route as the one you likely used. It is quite unusual to come across a significant cluster of warp beasts along such a route. They would normally gravitate to the more travelled.

Macharius
    Armengardes

"Would you, perhaps, be willing to share the coordinates? The Processional is something I've always wanted a chance to get a look at for myself. And of course there's the salvage. A veritable fortune, just sitting there." Aoife smiled, her mind clearly whirling with possibilities, before Macharius' next statement brought her back to where they were.

"Oh yes, Misson's famous pirate utopia. Nobody has ever found it, and even if they did I can't imagine how many ships would be guarding it. He's apparently made alliances with many of the Expanse's smaller captains, and their combined fleet is big enough to rival Jalthas Mettiere's. How many of them were there, when you fought them off with the Navy?"

Alydda

"I'll certainly drink to that, Lord Absalom," Alydda said, and raised her glass. "To what's next."

Charlabelle

"I think it could," Charlabelle agreed. "Shall I have my seneschal talk to your seneschal? We could have a contract drawn up, and I could start looking for a few lucrative routes for once the party is over."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #345
    Banned

So - what do you do here ... other than get hammered, and staying out of sight of the high-and-mighties and their canapés and vapid babble?

Trade tales? I'll tell you about our trip to the Processional, and how I'm ten thousand years old .. if you have something to trade with.

Felidae has issued a challenge. The hope is that everyone is substantially more impressed with tales of high adventure than slabs of vat grown muscle - and hopefully to walk away with something useful. Provided she remembers after the next morning.

Oh .. for the same reason, you'll have to pardon me for not knowing who Hadarak Fel is. He's a Rogue Trader? The people I used to know literally lived at the time the God-Emperor was still alive.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-05-30 at 01:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ravia having collected a useful amount of data will have retired back to her appointed room and begin to sort and and analyse it.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Ballrooms

'Well better to have it and not need it I suppose. I'd like to think if the Saint is really out there somewhere looking out for us then it doesn't matter if you're not sure about it.' After exchanging contact information with Captain Monk, Anika will mingle for a bit to see if she could find out who else was interested in the Scorpion gear. After all, the opportunity didn't come along everyday.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Going to make polite chit chat and listen in to other people's conversations.

Inquiry vs. Fel 47 (+10 Peer (Noble)?) (+10 Etiquette?)
    (1d100)[15]

Will try to remember to call Monk if I need to buy something illegal. Although his links to the Cold Trade may be just a rumour.

18. - Top - End - #348

Lizardfolk

Menagerie

Behind his mask, Kennoch wrinkled his nose. He wasn't necessarily expecting a grand, noble beast, but "bloodrat" sounded decidedly low-brow. Besides, a swarm did him no good when he only wanted one specimen.

"Such an entourage such would be would be a bit unwieldy bit bit," he pointed out. "I shudder shudder to imagine to the daily food bill food. Perhaps a solitary hunter solitary hunter?"

Ballrooms

If the captains were splitting up their conversation, it gave Echo more freedom. He drifted away with Lorenzo to continue their private discussion in a quieter part of the room.

Show
    The route is certainly not a popular one, I can say with confidence. Viatrames sees few visitors. I wonder, with the Warp's unreliable relationship with time, and the evil cunning of Chaos, if the beasts were sent to wait for us. Not that I claim such importance as to invite the attention of any foul gods. Still, I'm curious about when the predators arrived there, how long they lingered, and where they went next. Shame that long-term monitoring is beyond me. Hard enough to detect daemons at all before they strike; studying their movements could teach us much about the monsters themselves and their hellish dimension.

~ Sophistemon

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Back in the Absalom suite, Hannabel raids the drinks cabinet, draws herself a bath, and settles in for a long soak. When the opening ceremony draws near, she picks out a plain but well cared for Imperial Navy uniform with the rank markings of a Master Gunner. Her amulet of warding hangs from the belt and a small bottle of flak spray is hidden in a belt pouch. Her new ripper pistol and its concealed holster fit invisibly under the tunic and for a flourish she brings her Lathe-bladed sword cane.

Yeah, still fits like a glove, she thinks as she scrutinises herself in the mirror. Bit tight around the buns, though, she notes in annoyance as she gives the trousers a good tug to try and make herself a little more comfortable.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Gardens

"That's most of it. It's just us and the drink and tales of adventure, and no bloody pretendin' to be polite to people you'd rather skewer."

Then Felidae's statement sunk in, and he did a double take. "You're.. how..? Alright, assumin' you aren't pulling my leg, you're going to have to explain that one. Ten thousand frakking years old? Juvvie treatments aren't that good. But yeah, we'll pony up. Fel's a Rogue Trader, and he and his boys actually found the Righteous Path, so they can tell that one, and I'll tell you about Trask's planet that's not always there. Sound good? You first, though."

Menagerie

"Crimson Malverine, then. Scrappy little blighters. Little bit smaller than a cyber-mastiff, and twenty times as aggressive. They're not terribly dangerous, on account of being smaller solo predators, but you wouldn't want to fight one naked or anything. I'll see about getting one captured for you."

Ballrooms

Looking around, Anika found that the Scorpion gear was one of the things on the block that had actually captured some attention. Plenty of people had the ocassional Eldar gewgaw, and some - like Aoife Armengarde - even carried a weapon. Very few had armour, and when they did it was usually Guardian armour, or a similar variety of mesh cobbled together from different suits. An intact set of Scorpion Armour was incredibly rare.

Echo, meanwhile, was drawing Lorenzo Mercator off to a quiet corner.
    Show
    It could, yes. Much study has been made on the subject. Typically forbidden, but it exists. Tracking specific daemons is difficult, and tends to involve foci, items of resonance with the daemon, profane rituals, or similar. Tracking daemons in general, and detecting their presence, is simpler, especially for such as us. Long term monitoring... well, the Empyrean is simply too large, the currents too varied, to do such a thing for long. Perhaps a powerful psyker might attempt it.

As Hannabel drifted in, the ballrooms started to fill up a little more. Rogue Traders entered in clusters, and the background din of idle chatter from dozens of social groups grew louder. It was almost time for the opening ceremonies.

Ravia

Ravia, meanwhile, was able to avoid tiresome ceremonies entirely by retreating to her quarters with a wealth of information gathered from the menagerie. While there hadn't been genetic information catalogued for each of the exhibits - an unforgiveable oversight, really - they had been happy enough to give her samples of hair and scales.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

21. - Top - End - #351
    Banned

`Well ... let me tell you. In the year 031.M31, as we reckon such things, there was a young recruit on a distant and insignificant feral world colony of Mud. She had proven to be uncannily keen with a rifle, and made her name in the local PDF. One day, the Imperial Navy visited - on a recruitment drive, for a grand Crusade of the neighboring systems ...

Felidae regales them all with the tale of how she became an Admirals Adjudant, and eventually found herself floating in a stasis tube for quite a long time indeed. She includes eventually being rescued by Macharius, but not all the finer details of being caught in a time loop in the warp - and particularly nothing about hauling an imperial warship back to port.

... so unless I miss my guess dramatically, I'm older than most of you by ... well by the better part of ten millenia.

Now ... your turn. A planet that's not always there, and ... what, The Righteous Path? That's a ship, I guess? Let's hear it.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Before the ceremonies start, Macharius makes a final circuit around the room, introducing himself to more Traders and keeping an eye out for old friends and rivals. He's particularly interested to see if Quinn is in attendance, although not eager to talk to the man in person. After making the rounds, Macharius finds Anika. Quite the party, eh? A fair number of interesting guests. And some leads on good opportunities for us, too.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika gives up on her thoughts of finding some leverage over any competitors in the auction. Even if she lost she could always speak about the wargear to Winterscale's people directly.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Quite the party, eh? A fair number of interesting guests. And some leads on good opportunities for us, too.
    'It's good to be making friends. How goes your search?'

24. - Top - End - #354

Lizardfolk

Menagerie

"Crimson Malverine Crimson Malverine," Echo repeated, liking the sound of it. "That will do that will, good sir good. Your help help is much appreciated much appreciated."

Ballrooms

Show
    True, true. I imagine that only the more powerful daemons, those that have at times invaded the Materium and wrecked sufficient havoc to establish themselves, have built up the resonance or inspired rituals among their heretic-slaves. The predators I encountered are likely too obscure, I would guess. Still, the next time I pass along that route, I will try to uncover a little more--assuming they have not moved elsewhere. This practical experimentation is much more exciting than reading in a library, no? As well as how we take our own place on the shelves for future Navigators to study.

The idea elicited a smile behind Kennoch's mask. He thought about asking if Lorenzo was published in any capacity, but a Mercator probably held their secrets even more tightly than most Navis; if he had any memoirs or theories, Echo figured they were locked securely away. Regardless, he found himself starting to like this man, unfortunate clan aside.

~ Sophistemon

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Gardens

"hell of a story," said Fel's man. "Might even be true. Yeah, the Righteous Path was a ship. During the Angevin Crusade, she was captained by a man named Lorcanus Ryn. They took a world called Krystallian, or something like that, way back. Used to be, nobody was sure exactly what the wealth they'd captured was, but now we know." He paused for effect, grinning. "Dark Age technology. Ryn gutted his ship to fit it all, tore out half the gun decks, packed every spare inch of space he could find with artifacts, and vanished into the warp, never to be seen again. His ship got pulled from Calixis, through the Maw, and dumped out into the Magoros system with her midsection stuck in an asteroid. A lot of the loot had been ruined by time, and there was no way to salvage the ship itself, but once we got some of the old seals open? Archeotech, Xenostech, gold and silver and jewels. The greatest prize, though, was that the old girl was actually hiding an STC fragment. No idea what it makes, but you should have seen the cogboy we delivered it to. I thought he might explode from excitement."

"Trask's planet isn't as good as all that, or at least, I don't think so." One of the Plinus brothers said. "Trask seems to think it is, though. He's been sending down construction materials whenever it's there."

"Shut up, Plinus, and let me tell it!" Felidae's associate growled at the seated brothers, and turned back to her. "Plinus doesn't get it. Trask found a planet, not on any charts, even though the system's been mapped before. So he sticks around, and after a couple of days, poof. Gone. Well, we spend a bunch of time cooling our heels, and three weeks later, it's back, on the other damned side of the system, just pop, like it was always there. So Trask sends down a bunch of us to see what's what, and waits for it to do it again. Best we've worked out, there's some sort of weird warptime bubble in the system. Planet's covered in strange ruins, and we don't know where it goes when it's not around, but we do know that time works funny when it does. The planet spends about 90 percent of the time gone, if you're not on it, but if you are on it, it's about twice as long. Don't ask how the math works, I'm not smart enough to tell you. When we picked up the away team after they'd appeared again, they said they'd been on the planet for ages, had almost run out of supplies."

Ballrooms

Spoiler: Echo: Secret Tongue Navigator
    Show
    All daemons resonate, but some do it more strongly, and more noticeably, than others. One thing that is true, though, is that whether you are looking at summoning, or simply finding, many of the same principles apply. The ultimate knowledge is, of course, the daemon's true name. No matter how obscure, if the creature is more than a simple mindless predator, it will have a name, and knowing that name grants power. Practical experimentation in that area is dangerous, though, even ignoring that it is forbidden. I prefer to observe. Speaking of, I believe our host is about to be dramatic.

Doing the rounds, Macharius found that Quinn was indeed present, and that Jonell had arrived in the interrim. While he was greeting the other captain, Calligos Winterscale finally made his appearance.

Vox speakers, placed strategically around the ballrooms, switched from playing light background music to a bombastic anthem. Guards stood at attention, and conversation died down around the room as the assembled personages looked around to try and catch a glimpse of what was happening. The huge set of double doors at the main end of the ballroom swung open with a bang, and Winterscale himself strode into the room, resplendant in a fine coat of red and gold. His manner of dress was both simple and luxurious, from scuffed boots to the enormous bolt pistol on his belt, to the gold chain around his neck, everything was calculated to evoke a man who had so much money that he could wear whatever he wanted and still make a statement. "Look at me," his clothing said, "look at how much I don't have to try. I'm so busy making far more money than you could ever imagine that I didn't even have time to polish my boots, and it doesn't even matter." He paused for a moment, his strong jaw set in a half smile at the gathered crowd of luminaries, and spread his hands wide.

The luminators dimmed, a spotlight from somewhere above snapping on to frame Calligos in a halo of radiant light. The music lowered, to be replaced by Winterscale's booming voice, which seemed to echo around the room. Likely, he was using a hidden microphone to amplify his words.

"Welcome, my friends, to the Winterscale Gala! I hope you're all having a fabulous time tonight. You all know how I hate to stand on ceremony, but sometimes tradition must be allowed for. So, I formally welcome you to my palace, to drink and feast and enjoy cordial relations with whomever the frak you like. Your rooms are as private as I could make them for a reason! I know there are some new faces out there, and I plan to meet you all for a drink before the week is over. I'll personally be joining several of the hunting expeditions, so we can have a go at shooting some exotic game I've sourced, and I can judge how good a shot you all are!" He laughed, walking forwards with the spotlight following him, and snatching a glass off a nearby servant's tray.

"I've asked the Cardinal to say a blessing for us, that the Emperor might smile on our endeavours here, and bring swift ruin to that bitch Chorda." Calligos' feral smile implied that this was only half a joke. "He has done so, and is prepared to hold a more extensive evening mass for anyone who wishes to join him in the cathedral. I'm also going to give you a brief idea of what to expect while you enjoy my hospitality over the next few days. First, I won't be attending the auction this year. I've found it intimidates some people, and I don't want anyone to be intimidated while they're thinking of spending money on my account." - this was patently untrue, everyone knew, but a nice thought - "Speaking of the auction, I think we've come up with some truly special items this time around, so I hope you'll bid freely. We also have some excellent gifts for you all before you leave, more on that later. In the meantime, I think I've blathered on for long enough. Let the party officially begin! If you've not yet met me in person, I invite you to make yourself known at your convenience. Don't be afraid, I don't bite. Much."

Calligos laughed again, and the lights and music returned to normal.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Sword cane clicking on the floor, Hannabel strides confidently through the ballrooms, glancing over the other parties until she finds Macharius, just in time for Winterscale's grand entrance.

"Ooh, he's quite the showman!" she twitters after Calligos' performance. "A bit noveau riche for such an established dynasty, though," she tuts. "You going to be kissing the hem of his garments any time soon, Lord Captain?"

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Ooh, he's quite the showman!" she twitters after Calligos' performance. "A bit noveau riche for such an established dynasty, though," she tuts. "You going to be kissing the hem of his garments any time soon, Lord Captain?"
    'One might almost believe the stories about his ancestry, although you can get away with behaving any way you like if you're that rich.' To Macharius, 'There's really no downside in having him as a friend. Unlike Aspyce Chorda, he's not trying to be openly terrifying, although I assume he wouldn't actually help us with anything unless it benefited his own interests.'

28. - Top - End - #358

Lizardfolk

Kennoch only paid half his attention to Winterscale's entrance; Lorenzo's advice gave him plenty to consider. The younger Navis wondered if he'd made a poor impression by not already knowing more, but in fairness, his apprenticeship had been...cut short.

"I should go should," he agreed, with a slight nod toward their host. "But I hope to I hope see you see around the party the party. I would enjoy would enjoy speaking further speaking. And of course course, before we leave we leave the system system, I will send you will send my notes notes notes notes. Be well, Lord Mercator Mercator Mercator Mercator."

Echo swept off through the crowd to find Macharius. Meeting Winterscale wasn't a personal priority, but he would at least record the encounter, probably while immersed in his own thoughts.

~ Sophistemon

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'One might almost believe the stories about his ancestry, although you can get away with behaving any way you like if you're that rich.'
    "Wealth has a quality all of its own? Isn't there a saying like that?" Hannabel ponders. "What about his ancestry? The Winterscales have been around since forever, haven't they? What's special about Calligos?"

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Wealth has a quality all of its own? Isn't there a saying like that?" Hannabel ponders. "What about his ancestry? The Winterscales have been around since forever, haven't they? What's special about Calligos?"
    'Well 'forever' is only from a certain point of view. Every noble house has to start somewhere.'

She will go through what she can remember of the Winterscale succession drama, 'Supposedly Arturos, the previous Winterscale, died without an heir. Calligos was the man that eventually showed up to claim the Warrant. There is every chance that he's the descendant of some byblow of the family that has enough blood to prove he is who he says he is, but given the manner of his abrupt rise there is talk that he's some Footfall pit fighter who was in the right place at the right time.' Anika is entertained by the idea, 'I feel that the truth of the matter is rather irrelevant at this point. I can't see anyone being willing to argue that he doesn't deserve to be where he is.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    This is from 'Edge of the Abyss' if anyone was wondering.