New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Banned

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

Felidae shakes her head with resignation.

So this is no longer a hunting trip, but a male superiority ritual. Oh well, it's not like I didn't come prepared.

She'll grab her boltgun and eviscerator from the crate, and follow suit.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

"No longer..?" Jasmine Fenoff said, as Felidae left. She and Jerot were going to stay on the skiff, with Hannabel. "It never was about the hunting, really."

Quinn, meanwhile, had dropped from his own skiff, followed closely by Sun Lee, and both of them were hurrying to catch up with Calligos and Macharius.

"Much less timid," Winterscale said. "And usually very territorial, meaning we found a mated pair. There won't be any others nearby."

They came up on the body of the one Macharius' crew had finally killed, and Winterscale briefly inspected the body. "A few burns from that pistol of yours, but most of the damage is on the main body. A good taxidermist can fix all of that. Find the other one, and we'll make this a really successful hunt."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

After some internal debate, Echo lumbered off the skiff and quickly waddled after the others. Loyalty to his captain, and simple curiosity, won out over caution. Besides, how could he expect help with his own deadly hunts if he didn't provide it in kind? He could at least lend his keen vision to the search. He found the first Terrorax, so hopefully he could do it again and finish the work he'd started with his last shot.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have my books, but I assume Search can be used untrained.

Search (27): (1d100)[23]
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika hadn't considered that staying behind might be an option here but was committed now. Besides, there was always the outside chance that Winterscale might get hurt without someone there to back him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Felidae shakes her head with resignation.

So this is no longer a hunting trip, but a male superiority ritual. Oh well, it's not like I didn't come prepared.
    'Welcome to the aristocracy.' Anika replied. 'But in this case I have utmost faith in your ability to kill that thing before someone gets too badly hurt.'

5. - Top - End - #455
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'Welcome to the aristocracy.' Anika replied. 'But in this case I have utmost faith in your ability to kill that thing before someone gets too badly hurt.'
    Thumping through the greenery away from the skiff, Felidae has just enough time to call over her shoulder: I certainly hope so - especially the last part.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "No longer..?" Jasmine Fenoff said, as Felidae left. She and Jerot were going to stay on the skiff, with Hannabel. "It never was about the hunting, really."
    "I suppose that's true for anyone that doesn't need to hunt to eat," Hannabel muses back. "Should I interpret the fact that your fiancée is staying here to mean that he's comfortably secure in his manhood?" she asks innocently.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Fanning out a little, but still well within sight range, the group carefully swept the area. The beast likely hadn't gone far, but it was a natural climber, and they had to remember to look up just as much as forwards. Once again, Echo spotted it first, a lurking patch of malice amidst foliage that wasn't quite optimal for camouflage. As if it had sensed him watching the creature shifted, dropping from the trees almost on top of Calligos Winterscale and shrieking like a daemon.

Hannabel

"Sport hunting and sustenance hunting are entirely different concepts," Jasmine said.

Jerot laughed. "Quite secure, and despite what old Maccy would have you believe, far too sensible to go charging off into the jungle after apex predators. A good old fashioned battle is one thing, whether you're leading troops or fighting from the bridge. There, at least, you're reasonably guaranteed your enemy won't eat you."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

"Much less timid," Winterscale said. "And usually very territorial, meaning we found a mated pair. There won't be any others nearby."

They came up on the body of the one Macharius' crew had finally killed, and Winterscale briefly inspected the body. "A few burns from that pistol of yours, but most of the damage is on the main body. A good taxidermist can fix all of that. Find the other one, and we'll make this a really successful hunt."
    'Well that's reassuring. I have to wonder how much one of these things need to eat.' Anika is briefly distracted by the thought of having the stuffed corpse of one of those things aboard the Sting and where Macharius might display it, but she does hear the creature when it starts to go for Winterscale. 'Captain!' She'll try to warn Winterscale and shoot it on the way down.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Half Action - Shoot
    Half Action - Move away from it

vs. BS 36 (+10 range) (+20 Size)
    (1d100)[97]

Any damage Pen 4
    (1d10+5)[13] or (1d10+5)[15]

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Sport hunting and sustenance hunting are entirely different concepts," Jasmine said.

Jerot laughed. "Quite secure, and despite what old Maccy would have you believe, far too sensible to go charging off into the jungle after apex predators. A good old fashioned battle is one thing, whether you're leading troops or fighting from the bridge. There, at least, you're reasonably guaranteed your enemy won't eat you."
    "For you, perhaps, my lady, but for some they're one and the same," Hannabel answers with a sudden shiver. "And if you've never fought an enemy that won't eat you as soon as kill you, I'd say you're a lucky man, Captain Penthon."

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius springs into action. Aha! We have you now, you tricksy blighter! He ignites his jump pack and launches himself at the xenos monster, bringing his thunder hammer crashing down. He makes sure to angle his jump so he lands with the beast between him and Quinn.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Charge! (1d100)[86] vs 91, damage (1d10+10)[15] and (1d10)[3] (separated in case of righteous fury), pen 10.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Banned

Felidae had expected this exact scenario, but hoped for better. But as Macharius rushes in - so does Felidae. With a blood-curdling, furious battle cry - enough to rival the scream of the eviscerators teeth - she tears into the terrorax.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Sadly, Felidae is less impressive in melee than at range. So ...
    WS: (1d100)[20] vs 58 .. and we're rerolling that with Fate if needed: WS: (1d100)[96] vs 58
    Damage: (2d10+10)[8][3](11) or (2d10+10)[7][7](14) (for Tearing) - pen 5
    Potential RF:
    (1d10)[7](7)
    (1d10)[7](7)
    (1d10)[5](5)

Oh - it has Razor Sharp, so it actually counts as pen 10, because of succes levels.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-07-30 at 12:20 AM.

12. - Top - End - #462

Lizardfolk

This damned xeno was fast, and apparently cunning in its own right, but Kennoch at least alerted the others with a wordless shout right before the ambush. Perhaps Winterscale would be grateful--assuming they managed to finish saving his life. Not that Echo was about to risk his own in close quarters for some other captain; he paused only long enough to line up his shot, then retreated to what was hopefully a safer distance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aim, fire, then move as far as possible away from the Terrorax.

To Hit (BS40, +10 Aiming, +10 Red-Dot, +10 MIU, +10 Range, +20 Size): (1d100)[60]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[9]

~ Sophistemon

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Hunting

Sun Lee was the first to reacto to Echo's shout, charging the distance between her and the monster with power sword drawn, and taking up an elegant fencer's stance, flicking attacks at the creature to test its defences. It shied away, raising massive clawed arms and hissing at her, only to have a bolt round detonate against its torso, Quinn having finally found his aim. Not to be outdone by Sun Lee, Macharius and Felidae charged as well.

Felidae's Eviscerator roared, striking the xenos' neck, whirring chain teeth biting through chitin and into flesh. It marshalled its defenses, raising a claw to strike...

and then Macharius descended, putting the weight of himself, his armour, and all the thrust of his jump pack into a blow from his thunder hammer. He struck the beast square in the chest with a horrible crunch, cracking its armoured shell and pulping the soft insides. It collapsed immediately, thrown backwards by the force of the blow and coming to rest in a boneless heap several meters away. Turning, Macharius saw that Winterscale had drawn his own power axe, and would likely have stepped in as well if their quarry hadn't been killed already. For a brief instant, he thought he saw something akin to surprise flash across the other Trader's face, rapidly replaced with a wide grin.

"By the throne, Absalom. That was well done."

Hannabel

"Can't say I've run across many. The occasional Kroot, maybe, and I suppose the orks would be all too pleased to have a go. Most of it is pirates and successionists, though, good old-fashioned humans, and even the most depraved of them wouldn't usually resort to cannibalism. Usually. There's the things on Vaporius, but those don't really count as human anymore." Jerot looked thoughtful. "Still, more often than not, minimal chance of being eaten, and fortunately so, I'd say. Damned undignified way to go."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jolly good show, eh Captain? Macharius laughs and holsters the thunder hammer, then claps Winterscale on the shoulder. By the Emperor, I haven't had a hunt this fun in years! Quite invigorating. He takes the helmet off to look at his prize and laughs again. Not much prettier without the auto-senses, hoho!

15. - Top - End - #465

Lizardfolk

Combat began and ended so quickly that Kennoch needed a moment to realize it. Having paused just short of firing, he slowly relaxed and let his Hellpistol dip toward his shoulder, machine spirit falling back asleep. This went far more smoothly than he'd dared hoped. He clunkily stomped closer to the mangled corpse for a long look.

"I pity the taxidermist pity pity the," he said in a deadpan tone. "But in any case in any, congratulations congratulations, Lord-Commander Lord-Commander Lord-Commander Lord-Commander."

~ Sophistemon

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika slowly holsters her weapon before edging closer to get a look at the things claws. 'No danger of it only being stunned when you hit it with a thing like that.' She'll grin at Macharius, 'You've been waiting for an excuse to use that.'

17. - Top - End - #467
    Banned

Not to put a damper on the celebration, but the other one is still out there - and quite possibly not pleased with us murdering it's mate.

Until further notice, Felidae remains on alert.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Can't say I've run across many. The occasional Kroot, maybe, and I suppose the orks would be all too pleased to have a go. Most of it is pirates and successionists, though, good old-fashioned humans, and even the most depraved of them wouldn't usually resort to cannibalism. Usually. There's the things on Vaporius, but those don't really count as human anymore." Jerot looked thoughtful. "Still, more often than not, minimal chance of being eaten, and fortunately so, I'd say. Damned undignified way to go."
    "Then you've never come across the Saynay Clan, I take it? Pirates and monsters in one," Hannabel explains with a look of distaste. "If they catch you, your dignity will be the least of your worries, Lord Captain."

"The Kroot, however, are merely doing as their nature commands. With them, hunting and consuming worthy enemies is less a matter of sport and more a means of improving and strengthening their race. Better living through necrophagy, one might say," she chuckles.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ravia had a nice quite morning with all the others off doing what ever it was they were doing with Winterscale, she had dissembled the saviour device and cleaned it and noted manufacturer marks as being from a unknown forge and dutifully reassembled it before returning to her cataloging and after a while went back down to the Menagerie to consult further the keeper on some of the species.
    Spoiler: Destro
    Show
    It was the slugs, it was always going to be the slugs as soon as she had seen them they had the exclamation points all around them. So many idea's and questions about how and what to do with such creatures and their output
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius laughs again. Course I have! It's been dreadfully peaceful since I bought the thing. No xenos, heretics, or even pirates to crush. Thank the Emperor our host found some proper game.

He claps Felidae on the shoulder. Felidae, old sport, I think last night's revelry may have gotten to you. Its mate is the dead heap over there. He points at the other Terrorax corpse. Still, my commendations! Too hungover to see straight, but still able to kill straight. That's the spirit!

21. - Top - End - #471
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    He claps Felidae on the shoulder. Felidae, old sport, I think last night's revelry may have gotten to you. Its mate is the dead heap over there. He points at the other Terrorax corpse. Still, my commendations! Too hungover to see straight, but still able to kill straight. That's the spirit!
    Felidae looks suitably bashful about the whole misunderstanding, merely mumbling um, well, see - it's the scope, right? With all my attention focused on a tiny dot ... um. Yea, hangover.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Hannabel

"The Saynays I've heard of, but never come across. I count myself fortunate for it, though one of these days someone is going to have to burn the lot of them. Need a bigger fleet than I have at my command to do it." Jerot waved a hand. "The Kroot are xenos, they do as xenos do. There are a few variants, across the expanse. I assume it has something to do with the way their biology works. Strange though, to see them here, don't you think? I'm certain they aren't native to the region."

Ravia

Spoiler
    Show
    Ravia found the curator of the menagerie in his office, after getting directions from some of the other employees.

"You want to know about the slugs?" He said, scratching his chin and looking up from his work. "What is it you want to know? They're right ferocious little blighters, even if they don't look it. Bit on the slow side, but you have to be careful handling them if you wan't want to lose half your face."

Others

"Yes, and you made quick work of it. Quick on the draw, Captain, and not afraid to charge in. I like that. What do you think?" Winterscale gave Sun Lee a backwards glance, as several of the retainers from the skiffs appeared to help carry off Macharious' prizes.

"Commendable." Sun Lee said, bowing slightly. "Perhaps lacking finesse, but quite effective."

"Hah! Nothing wrong with the straightforward approach." Winterscale gestured at the dead Terrorax. "Can't fault the results. Will you be wanting to find your own taxidermist, Absalom?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

"Commendable." Sun Lee said, bowing slightly. "Perhaps lacking finesse, but quite effective."
    'Finesse is for dueling Captain Lee...or so I've heard. Sometimes you need to hit something really hard.'

To Macharius, 'If you intend to make a habit of this it might be easier to hire someone to do the work on the Sting. I'm sure we can spare the budget. Or I suppose you can make do with just the head. I once knew a Mortressan captain who had the skull of one of those lizard things that they hunt hung up in his bedroom.'

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thank you, Captains. I find there's a time for planning and a time for bold action. When the enemy's at your gates, best to give him the old what-for straightaway, eh? He looks down at the Terrorax. I don't think we have one, do we, Anika? I suppose we ought to find one. Unless you have a local you recommend, Captain Winterscale? I imagine this blighter won't keep indefinitely, hoho!

He listens to Anika. I believe I'll skip mounting the head in the bedroom. Not quite the most conducive or restful ambiance, what? Perhaps the head of one in the war room and the entire body of the other in the trophy room?

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"The Kroot are xenos, they do as xenos do. There are a few variants, across the expanse. I assume it has something to do with the way their biology works. Strange though, to see them here, don't you think? I'm certain they aren't native to the region."
    "I've only run into the one flock so far, Captain Penthon. I've only heard rumours that there were more of them about," Hannabel answers with a smile.

"But you're right, of course, the Kroot aren't from around here. Far from it, in fact - they're allies or subjects of the Tau Empire, which borders on the Ultima Segmentum, so there's no clear reason why they should be turning up in larger numbers clear across the galaxy from their home. Interesting, don't you think? Their Warspheres are capable of warp travel, but to make the journey to the Koronus Expanse? That's a long, long way to go...unless they know of an undiscovered shortcut," she muses.
    Last edited by rax; 2020-08-08 at 09:12 AM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    He listens to Anika. I believe I'll skip mounting the head in the bedroom. Not quite the most conducive or restful ambiance, what? Perhaps the head of one in the war room and the entire body of the other in the trophy room?
    'As long as I don't have to see it too often...and assuming we can get the body out of here in the first place.'

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, wherever you put it, I'll set you up with my taxidermist," Winterscale said. "You can find your own later, but in the meantime we'll get that one prepared."

"There's an appropriate time for everything," Sun Lee allowed. "This seems to have been a case of a large hammer hitting a nail quite well. I only hope that when you come up against a problem that is not a nail, you can find the appropriate tool."

Quinn had already stalked off, fuming, and the rest of them got the Terrorax bodies loaded up on the skiffs and prepared to return to the estate. At the skiffs, they found Hannabel in conversation with Jerot and Jasmine.

"Yes, I've seen lots of them around the place," Jerot was saying. "Different clans and things, too, so there's got to be some way they're getting here. A shortcut seems likely. Though with the size of the Expanse, it could be just about anywhere."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #478
    Banned

At the 'lots of them' remark, Felidae raises an eyebrow, thoughtful.

A shortcut would be only part of the explanation. Someone has to be hiring also. And if someone is hiring lots of xeno mercenaries, that might be part of one of those plots you all go on and on about most of the time.

Just saying. Might be interesting to ask one of them why they came here in the first place - who's footing the bills.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

"There's an appropriate time for everything," Sun Lee allowed. "This seems to have been a case of a large hammer hitting a nail quite well. I only hope that when you come up against a problem that is not a nail, you can find the appropriate tool."
    'Well everything in the Expanse is a learning experience.' Anika replied, 'And this is ultimately what Macharius has the rest of us for.'

Later, once she works out what the conversation is about, 'I always had the impression that the warp could take you anywhere if you approached it in the right way, so what are the chances that the Kroot took a wrong turn somewhere? But yes someone ought to just ask them if only to see what they say.'

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I rather suspect that 'someone' would need to make it worth their while to get them to spill that information," Hannabel says with a smirk at Macharius.