New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

Anika has retrieved a wide-brimmed hat and rebreather to keep out the dust from her quarters before leaving the Sting. In case it was actually needed she'll make sure to increase the ration of water loaded onto the lander before they left. Deserts she was a little more familiar with.

On the way down she will try to watch for signs of life in the city. 'I wonder how many people actually live here now. Can't be enough food to support a large population.'

From the ground Viatrames reminded her a little of Scintilla outside the Hives. She'll let Ravia or Mecharius take the lead here unless she actually had something to contribute. Instead she'll peer up at the crossed hammers and look for anything she recognised. Having Vulkan or the Gorgon as a patron didn't seem that unusual to her, although she had no idea how the Mechanicus thought about the Primarchs.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

"The planetary population, at last survey, was less than ten thousand." The techpriest reported, welcoming them into the temple's antechamber. Inside it was cool, almost cold, a stark contrast to the heat of the exterior. Each room contained a number of vents, placed high up on the walls, emitting a constant stream of cold air. There was no indication as to what powered the temple, though there were electric lights and signs of an internal vox system, as well as the obvious orbital vox. The furnishings were austere, low steel benches without any cushioning. To the priests, it probably didn't matter, and the Mechanicus had never been stellar at providing for visitors.

"Much of the food produced locally is grown in hydroponics bays, here in Beacon City. The rest is one or two especially hardy plant crops, and the meat of the desert's predators. It is barely sufficient to support the populace as it stands, and is nutritionally undiversified, which is one of the reasons we would normally welcome trade."

Spoiler: Ravia Only
    Show
    The techpriest answered in binary. It was stilted and formal, but the nice thing about binary was that there were no such things as dialects.
    ++Greetings, honoured Magos. Praise to the Omnissiah and Vulkan for your visit++
    ++There is undoubtedly a great deal of information to compare. By all means, proceed++
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

'That would do it. Probably not very healthy though. Please give us a list of anything that you're looking for and we'll see what we can do about that.' Anika decided that she probably should get an assistant to help with these sort of occasions.

'I used to be something of a historian, but I'm not as familiar with the customs of the Mechanicus as I ought to be. May I ask the significance of your association with Vulkan?' She will ask seeking to satisfy her own curiosity first. 'But, as I believe I mentioned over the vox, we would like to know more about the political situation on Viatrames before we speak to anyone else. What is at stake in this election?'

Spoiler
    Show

Charm test probably couldn't hurt
    vs. Fel 47 (+10 for Etiquette?)
    (1d100)[30]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

If I know the Lord Captain, you should propably include on that list what you can pay, as well. We know little of what ressources this planet can provide.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

"Vulkan was a master craftsman and son of the Emperor. For this reason, we believe Vulkan to be favoured by the Emperor in his aspect as Omnissiah," the techpriest said. It was a simple explanation, but it appeared to be all they were to get - he moved on to Felidae's comment without pausing. "Vehicles, manpower, components, repairs - though I doubt you would need them, crude oil and refined products, light metals, and exotic predators. It is not an extensive list, but we do have some things. I will have a list of our needs drawn up. Now, to the main difficulty of your timing..."

The techpriest began pacing slowly back and forth, mist billowing from beneath his robes as he walked. "For the previous 87 standard years, Viatrames has held an annual election for the position of high clanlord. This election takes the form of a race, following a set route through the desert. There is only one rule: the first living person to cross the finish line wins. Traditionally, each of the Motor Clans has fielded one team of four. This number was chosen because it is the minimum number of crew required to operate a Leman Russ battle tank. If a team should cross the line together, it is given to the team members to choose which of them shall hold the official title for the next year."

"The title is more than a figurehead position. The High Clanlord enjoys control over what centralized manufacturing exists, as well as his clan's own holdings. They make policy decisions, and effectively serve as the planetary governor until such time as an Urussalin heir can be found. Though at this stage, the appearance of such an heir is seen as unlikely, and it is possible the High Clanlord would not step down... especially if they are cast from the same mould as the current holder of the title. Lukas Moore is a suspicious man. He will view your timing as suspect, and any trade between us will only fuel his paranoia."

Finally, the techpriest paused, turning to the group to gauge their reactions. "We of the temple maintain our position by virtue of our expertise, and our commitment to neutrality. We serve all clans equally. We do not play favourites, and we do not run in the election. Do you see why we cannot possibly trade with you until after the race is over?"
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-11-14 at 03:35 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

After a brief moment of stunned silence, Felidae speaks up - sounding ever so slightly hoarse: Hrm! Say, Macharius - can I have a battle tank? Please.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel has tagged along quietly until now, not bothering to remove her wraparound aviator shades when the party enters the temple, but making sure her amulet of warding is clearly visible at her belt. When the techpriest informs them of how the High Clanlord is chosen, she pushes up her shades and stares at him, a grin growing on her face as she takes in the information.

"Government by speed? I like that!" she laughs. "Can anyone compete or does one have to be a clansman?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

That does seem to be an interesting method of governance. And a potentially delightful diversion. Permission denied, Felidae. I can't let you have all the fun without me, what? Macharius smiles broadly.

Hannabel's question is a good one. Is the race open to all? And is the tank mandatory, or can we use something with a little more pep?
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2019-11-14 at 09:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will listen politely to the Tech Priest's explanation and will try not to let her scepticism show. They could always bring up the rumours of archaeotech later. 'On the matter of exotic predators you'd be surprised what some people would be willing to pay for.'

'I presume speed isn't all there is to it? Or is the use of the guns on the Leman Russ actively discouraged?' It would certainly make the race shorter. 'I think we can afford to wait a few days before conducting any business, but I quite understand your reluctance. I take it that this Moore person, being the suspicious type, is likely to hold a grudge based on nothing much. Assuming he's the sort of person with enough military strength to be a problem, he might be the type to come for an otherwise innocent Mechanicus enclave that is only minding it's own business. Even if you won, you would have a huge mess to clean up at the very least.'

'I would ask if there was anyone besides Moore that you would recommend avoiding but against the backdrop of the election I assume that dealing with anyone might be viewed by some as putting our thumb on the scales.'

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Exotic predators, hmm? Kennoch filed that away for later. He still planned to seek out animal trainers for the colony--this hazardous planet must have skilled beast-wranglers, and of those, at least a few probably wanted a more pleasant environment, or even just a change of scenery. I could manage two goals at once, perhaps. But that is a matter for later.

"If the only rule only rule is to cross is to is to the finish line finish with breath in your lungs, lungs breath lungs then I assume I I I I I the race race becomes quite vicious vicious," he says to Anika. Still less dangerous than letting the common dredges vote, Echo was sure.

Are the Tech-Priests wary of all interference, or only appearing to do so themselves? If they believe it their duty to protect the clans from opportunistic outsiders, then we may regret having this discussion so publicly... In any case, I suspect that even if we can compete, and even if we win, we would then face resistance to taking power. If only from the current High Clanlord. I wonder if a more subtle touch could serve us better, at least for this initial trip. We could begin to influence one or more of the clans, support those amenable to our goals, and rule openly once the time is right. I'll suggest it to Macharius later, when we are not observed.

Aloud, he turned to their host. "I can appreciate I can the difficulties difficulties of your position your position. However, however surely we could trade we trade with the clans the clans without entangling your temple entangling temple temple temple. If they are gathering together, if they together that opportunity opportunity is very convenient very to our trading trading trading. I assume I assume not every Clanlord Clanlord Clanlord shares Moore's suspicious nature suspicious nature. And then after the race, then after we could resume we could our business here, business yes yes yes yes?"
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2019-11-15 at 05:02 PM.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Well - my thought was this: If you can only trade with the motor clans ... what does it take to create a motor clan? Seems to me like a simple fix: Make a clan, and we can both trade, and .. run for office, so to speak.

I do like a direct approach.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel scratches her chin as she listens to the others. "Umm, maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves. No one said the racers use battle tanks. Just that the number of racers on each team is based on the number required to manage a Leman Russ. I mean, a Leman Russ is slow. Not a racer by anyone's standards."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Hannabel scratches her chin as she listens to the others. "Umm, maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves. No one said the racers use battle tanks. Just that the number of racers on each team is based on the number required to manage a Leman Russ. I mean, a Leman Russ is slow. Not a racer by anyone's standards."
    'Well that would make more sense, but I suppose the question of using weapons in the race remains.'

To Felidae, 'I'm honestly not sure if they would consider us cheating interlopers or respect us for trying.'

'And I should say there's nothing wrong with trading with anyone who is willing to talk to us. Once word gets around that we're here I'm mostly curious how everyone else would feel about a clan that was too friendly with outsiders.'

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

++Is this a Leman Russ with or without Sponson weapon systems++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

"Many questions," the priest said. "I will do my best to answer them all."

"Can anyone compete or does one have to be a clansman?"
    "It has not come up before. Technically, anyone may enter. Upstart clans tend to die out after a few losses, so that only the strong remain."

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    And is the tank mandatory, or can we use something with a little more pep?
    "Initially, many of the clans used tanks, as the heavy armament provided an edge. Over time, the stock of both ammunition and functional tanks was depleted. Moore's Immortans still use a... modified... Leman Russ chassis." Somehow, he managed to inject a certain amount of implied consternation into his mechanical voice on use of the word 'modified.' The priest's face may have been incapable of showing expression, constructed as it was of steel and beaten copper, but the Mechanicus remnant at least still metaphorically frowned on altering sacred designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'I presume speed isn't all there is to it? Or is the use of the guns on the Leman Russ actively discouraged?' It would certainly make the race shorter. 'I think we can afford to wait a few days before conducting any business, but I quite understand your reluctance. I take it that this Moore person, being the suspicious type, is likely to hold a grudge based on nothing much. Assuming he's the sort of person with enough military strength to be a problem, he might be the type to come for an otherwise innocent Mechanicus enclave that is only minding it's own business. Even if you won, you would have a huge mess to clean up at the very least.'

'I would ask if there was anyone besides Moore that you would recommend avoiding but against the backdrop of the election I assume that dealing with anyone might be viewed by some as putting our thumb on the scales.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarghy View Post
    Aloud, he turned to their host. "I can appreciate I can the difficulties difficulties of your position your position. However, however surely we could trade we trade with the clans the clans without entangling your temple entangling temple temple temple. If they are gathering together, if they together that opportunity opportunity is very convenient very to our trading trading trading. I assume I assume not every Clanlord Clanlord Clanlord shares Moore's suspicious nature suspicious nature. And then after the race, then after we could resume we could our business here, business yes yes yes yes?"
    "You understand, then. His clan is among the strongest, and it would not serve anyone for us to be thought of as supporting anyone else's bid for power. Especially if you do intend to enter the Election. Trading with one clan over the others would likely be construed as tipping the balance of power. If you ask my opinion of who else to avoid, though... the Smoker Clan. Moore has a special grudge against them. You of course may trade with whom you will. Once the Election has concluded, we of the temple will be glad to do business with you."

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'And I should say there's nothing wrong with trading with anyone who is willing to talk to us. Once word gets around that we're here I'm mostly curious how everyone else would feel about a clan that was too friendly with outsiders.'
    "The populace tends towards insularity. The only outsiders many of them ever meet are of other clans, and may attempt to kill them. As outlanders, you have the advantage of novelty, but the disadvantage of mistrust. If your goods are valuable, however, greed is likely to overcome in the end."

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++Is this a Leman Russ with or without Sponson weapon systems++
    "With. Though all of the Russes on the planet were originally constructed with heavy bolter sponsons, the ammo supply for which has entirely dried up. We are not capable of manufacturing bolter shells here."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "With. Though all of the Russes on the planet were originally constructed with heavy bolter sponsons, the ammo supply for which has entirely dried up. We are not capable of manufacturing bolter shells here."
    ++That is surely something we can remedy, if not now then in the future possibly if things go well++
    Last edited by Leon; 2019-11-16 at 01:37 AM. Reason: the
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++That is surely something we can remedy, if not now then in the future possibly if things go well++
    "This place is dying already," Hannabel interjects. "Why would we want to give them access to the means to kill each other faster?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Anika, Ravia, what is the state of our motor pool? Do we have anything that could compete in this little excursion, or are we going to be stuck to the sidelines?

He turns back to the priest. I presume flying vehicles are prohibited, so we can't take the Aquila? Tell me more of each of the clans, so that we can decide who to support if we do not race ourselves.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

"This place is dying already," Hannabel interjects. "Why would we want to give them access to the means to kill each other faster?"
    'Then we trade them only with our friends. I mean, if we must go into the arms trading business.'

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

"Flying vehicles are not prohibited by rule, but a portion of the course goes through a series of underground caverns. The tunnels are too small in many places to permit anything so large as an Aquila to pass," the priest said.

"There are five major clans, though there are always one or two independant entries seeking to form new clans. These five, however, have maintained steady power and membership, and are the significant contenders. I have mentioned the Immortans, and the Smokers, who control a great deal of the military power, and a number of refineries, respectively. There are also the Interceptors, Rusters, and Lumes. The Interceptors are patrolmen, predominantly. They hold the contract to enforce what laws exist on the world. The Rusters grew from the working class, and run industrial outposts and mines throughout the wasteland. The Lumes... all they care about is how powerful their vehicles are."
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-11-16 at 10:43 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There's a rift between the Immortans and the Smokers, hmm? What a shame. And perhaps an opportunity...

Careful with his phrasing, Echo pursued this line of thought. "Honored Tech-Priest, priest priest priest what can you tell us tell us tell us can you of clan alliances alliances and rivalries rivalries? Why does Moore Moore why hate the Smokers hate hate hate? I assume they assume feel the same feel. Is there other friction is there between the clans between clans? We do not want do not to exacerbate such tensions tensions."

...Unless it is to our benefit.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Patrolmen, eh? Sound like decent enough chaps. Enforcing the Emperor's laws in the wastes is good work. What more can you tell me about the Interceptors?

23. - Top - End - #53

++I would hazard a guess its Moore's laws and not the Emperors++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

'Well perhaps, but then why not openly associate yourself with Moore's clan? If they genuinely appreciate law and order then they might be worth talking to.'

'Equally, I suppose we can talk to someone about buying a vehicle if we're set on participating.'

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

"Are we set on participating? It's not like we'll be stuck here forever if we just wait to see who wins, then trade with them and the temple here."
    Last edited by rax; 2019-11-18 at 04:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

"Are we set on participating? It's not like we'll be stuck here forever if we just wait to see who wins, then trade with them and the temple here."
    'Well I'm not against the idea either. As long as you're happy enough to drive.'

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel sighs. "Fine! If we enter the race, I'll drive."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

And I'll shoot. And/or fight - I'm sure some high speed boarding isn't out of the question. Unlike Hannabel, Felidae's sigh sounds .... romantic.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"We seem to have gone a little off track," the priest said. "Do you have other questions, or.."

He trailed off as a younger man, in the robes of an initiate, stumbled into the room and stopped to catch his breath. "Sorry," he coughed. "The High Clanlord is downstairs with a bunch of men, demanding to know what the Outlanders are talking to you about. Amongst other things."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel chuckles at the news. "Well, that escalated quickly," she says with a wink at Macharius. "But at least we won't have to go looking for the High Clanlord since he was obliging enough to come to us. Guess we're the main attraction in town."