New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

Looking at the picture, Anika could make out some of the details in the background. The ship the device was plugged into appeared to be non-functional, the lighting provided by the takers of the pict. Winterscale had probably pulled this from a wreck somewhere. There didn't seem to be any major damage to the device itself, though, and Dark-Age relics were notoriously durable.

Up on the stage, Winterscale grinned at the reaction his announcement had elicited. Everyone in the room had stopped leaving, and was back in their seats, sitting up and paying attention. Echo caught Lorenzo watching him, with raised eyebrows. The other Navis' expression was calm, and Echo could only guess at the thoughts underneath it. Winterscale stepped back, taking the gavel from the auctioneer and standing at the podium.

"I'll handle the bidding myself," he said. "Starting at one million. Do I have any takers!?"
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Echo froze for a moment, still as a statue, until his fingers slowly curled into loose fists, then uncurled again. His pict-lens met Lorenzo's stare; cold metal and glass couldn't reveal his worries, and his silver mask didn't show indignity that even Winterscale would dare peddle such a thing, but suffice to say, the Navis wasn't pleased. He moved back toward his chair and paused along the way to speak tensely to Macharius.

"The void abacus void void void abacus is an evil thing evil thing," he whispered. "Some consider it powerful some powerful, but Lord-Commander Lord Commander, I swear to you swear, my own skills own skills are more reliable are more. And while you while have my loyalty my loyalty to the bitter end the bitter bitter end, many Navis Navis Navis would be offended would be. To own to such a device device is very dangerous is dangerous. I hope you I hope will abstain will abstain."

But the choice wasn't his, so, Kennoch sat back down and watched, his good mood much diminished.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

Once she works out what it is Anika is actually shocked, Is Winterscale absolutely sure it even still works?

She'll add to what Echo was saying, 'I can't speak for evil, and I lack the expertise to talk about it's technical specifications, but it's an ancient cogitator that was built to read the Warp. It is probably priceless anyway, but I would have to wonder what doing that would do to a machine over time. Would it start making it's own decisions about where we sail to?' Or worse 'You might be risking everything on the idea that the Ancients understood the Warp better then we do now.'

Then there was the politics of it, 'I can speak to the problems it would cause us if we had one. Between the Mechanicum, the Navis Nobilite and plain piracy I imagine there's no shortage of candidates who might take an interest in anyone who actually uses one of these.' She'll turn to watch Winterscale, 'I tend to believe he's sensible enough not to want that headache for himself, which means he's selling it off just to see what will happen.'

4. - Top - End - #724

Lizardfolk

Pleased to have a sensible ally, Kennoch nodded approvingly to Anika. "This is is all true all. I almost hope almost that Quinn Quinn Quinn takes the 'prize' takes prize, so that the misfortune the misfortune may be his may be as well well well. What an awful thing awful awful thing."

~ Sophistemon

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Still, it would look very nice on the bridge, and it would be a fine thing to have should our Lord Navigator find himself...out of sorts some time," Hannabel chuckles.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Firbolg in the Playground

++A very interesting item indeed++
    ++If i had not spend my allotment on the things i did i would be interested in it++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

7. - Top - End - #727

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Still, it would look very nice on the bridge, and it would be a fine thing to have should our Lord Navigator find himself...out of sorts some time," Hannabel chuckles.
    Scowling, Kennoch grumbled, "And then perhaps then we can replace we can our Helmsmadam our our with some soulless machine some machine. No thing thing of math and metal math metal can match human instinct can match." He paused, glanced toward Ravia--and likely remembered his own implants--then added, "...Well well well, perhaps augment augment, but not replace but not."

~ Sophistemon

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Oh, my Lord Navigator!" Hannabel laughs brightly. "You gravely overestimate my importance in the grand scheme of things! Piloting the Manticore's Sting - or anything bigger than a gun-cutter, really - is a matter of teamwork. I give the cues, the helmsmen turn the wheels and pull the levers, and the Sting does all the hard work. Sometimes, the Sting herself knows best which way to turn, and I'd be a fool not to listen to her. A machine she may be, a thing of math and metal, but soulless? I think not. The only irreplaceable link in the long chain from helm to thrusters is her, not me!" she winks as Kennoch.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius makes a great show of listening and examining the picts closely. He murmurs softly to the crew. Well, that's certainly not something we're taking on. However, I do like the idea of getting Quinn to buy it. His voice rises. Not overly loud, he's just conversing with his crew, but just loud enough to carry to his rival. No, Idon't think we have to worry about a bidding war from him on it. A million thrones is rather a lot, and he doesn't seem to have much money. Poor blighter lost most of his auctions, hoho!

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Macharius and crew weren't the only ones whispering amongst themselves. An uneasy murmer had spread through the room, and no one had made initial bids yet. Lorenzo and the Monk were bent over, carrying out a rapid hushed conversation between themselves, and Aoife had adopted an expression of apprehensive contemplation. She had been well placed to hear the explanations of the device's function from Anika and Echo, a benefit afforded to none of the others in the room.

Up front, Winterscale seemed to be revelling in the discomfort he had caused. His predatory smile growing even more broad, he leaned forwards over the podium. "What, no takers? A priceless relic such as this, I can scarce believe it. Surely one at least amongst you must have the courage to grasp this opportunity."

This, combined with Macharius' jab at Quinn, broke the tension in the room. Hadarak Fel chuckled, aiming his own barb at the other trader. "Why Tristan, I'd have though you at least would jump at this one. Is Captain Absalom right, and you've run yourself out of funds already?"

"He's a conniving, insincere bastard," Quinn shot back. "And a popinjay to boot. I could buy his whole dynasty. One million indeed! Let's see yours, Absalom!"

"Taking that as a bid," Winterscale said. "We have one million. Can I get one and fifty?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Oh, my Lord Navigator!" Hannabel laughs brightly. "You gravely overestimate my importance in the grand scheme of things! Piloting the Manticore's Sting - or anything bigger than a gun-cutter, really - is a matter of teamwork. I give the cues, the helmsmen turn the wheels and pull the levers, and the Sting does all the hard work. Sometimes, the Sting herself knows best which way to turn, and I'd be a fool not to listen to her. A machine she may be, a thing of math and metal, but soulless? I think not. The only irreplaceable link in the long chain from helm to thrusters is her, not me!" she winks as Kennoch.
    'Don't sell yourself short. You wouldn't want Macharius to dock your pay.' Anika replies not entirely seriously. She's mostly interested in watching the reactions of everyone else in the room. The really interesting thing would be what happened to whoever ended up with the relic. To Macharius in a low voice, 'Depending on how this goes we may want to spread the word about this with the right people.'

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius laughs. What a hurtful thing to say, Quinn. And here I thought we were becoming fast friends. He affects an air of wounded dignity, then turns back to his crew. Again, he's speaking loudly enough to be heard. Now let's see if he can actually pay for it. I think he's hoping I bail him out, spare him the embarrassment. But I've already got a navigator, so why bother? He pitches his voice low again. Agreed. Let's see if the fool will buy himself some enemies.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, I can pay for it," Quinn said, "But I'm beginning to think you can't. Spent all your money on the rest of the auction."

The Monk and Lorenzo finished speaking, and Lorenzo straightened in his chair. "One million fifty."

"That's more like it!" Winterscale laughed. "A little healthy competition! We have one million fifty, let's hear one million one hundred!"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

14. - Top - End - #734

++One wonders if my former masters knew about its like and carried on trying to do it their way anyway++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++One wonders if my former masters knew about its like and carried on trying to do it their way anyway++
    'As in they have one of these stashed away in a vault somewhere on the Lathes? I wonder if they even know for sure.'

16. - Top - End - #736

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'As in they have one of these stashed away in a vault somewhere on the Lathes? I wonder if they even know for sure.'
    ++They may have taken what we made, they are often moving in ways that no-one knows, those that knew what it was exactly we were all working on vanished with prejudice++
    ++I wasn't an Adept at that time, just one of the family and a junior one at that which is likely why im still here wandering about++
    Last edited by Leon; 2020-11-25 at 04:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius looks amused. Still have plenty of good navigators, Quinn. Although Master Lorenzo has bailed you out, so you can let him win and save face on your funds. Sounds like a win for everyone!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We're not buying this heresy, but Macharius is going to keep taunting Quinn until the auction ends or Quinn punches him.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Quinn scowled at Macharius, and raised to one million one hundred. The opening bids had managed to break the silence in the hall, to an extend, and from there the auction progressed to a three-way bidding war between Quinn, Lorenzo, and, somewhat surprisingly, Jonquin Saul. Aoife and the others left partway through, and while Lorenzo put up a good fight, and Macharius' continued string of jabs kept Quinn in for longer than he might otherwise have been, neither could compete with the financial power behind the house of Saul, and Jonquin was the final winner. Winterscale announced this with undisguised amusement, and the acution drew, at last, to a final close.

Quinn stalked off as soon as he had lost, giving Macharius no further time to harass him. Winterscale vanished into the back, conversing with the auctioneer as he went. The last people left in the hall at that point were the guards, Lorenzo and the Monk, and Saul. Lorenzo stayed talking to the Monk in a hushed voice, as Saul approached Macharius.

"I'd like to congratulate you," he said as an opener. "You did quite well here. Walked off with half the lots, or so? And not just the cheaper ones."
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2020-11-25 at 11:55 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++They may have taken what we made, they are often moving in ways that no-one knows, those that knew what it was exactly we were all working on vanished with prejudice++
    ++I wasn't an Adept at that time, just one of the family and a junior one at that which is likely why im still here wandering about++
    This was honestly the most Anika had heard about Ravia's past. 'But it would be unlike them to forget. I assume they have a file on you somewhere.' Which was likely something Ravia was well aware of.

Anika has nothing particularly against Captain Saul, so will leave Macharius to tell him about his acquisition if he wished. From curiosity if nothing else she'll have to try and keep an eye on him. Instead she'll go and see Lorenzo to see what he was up to. She'll ease her way into the row behind him and smile at the Monk in a friendly way. To Lorenzo in a low voice, 'I have to ask. Whatever did you want it for? I assume you realise the problems it would cause. Or do the Navis pay well to lock something like that away?'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Charm test to encourage him to open up because Anika hasn't spoken to him before
    vs. Fel 47 (+10 Nobility or Underworld given the context?) (not using Etiquette)
    (1d100)[85]

20. - Top - End - #740

Lizardfolk

At first, Kennoch's nerves settled and he saw this as a win-win. Either Quinn would claim the abacus, and that problem would...solve itself, or Lorenzo would take it, and could be relied upon to destroy the wretched thing. But Saul's involvement, let alone his victory, was far more complicated. The Trade-Admiral was a clever one; Echo doubted that he acted on a whim today. What was his plan? Would he sell the abacus to one of his Navis for great profit? Or did he have a riskier scheme in mind?

And now, what was Echo to do? He chewed on his lip and thought about how to proceed. For the moment, he just stood and listened to Saul; maybe answers would reveal themselves on their own. If not, he'd have to make some careful inquiries.

~ Sophistemon

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius smiled happily. Thank you. Yes, it went rather well, all in all. Of course, my primary interest was the relic of the saint, but everything else was a nice bonus. Congratulations on your purchase as well. A rare find, and rather unexpected.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Anika

"I was intending to purchase it in the name of my house," Lorenzo replied. "unfortunately it seems the opportunity has passed." He didn't elaborate further, and Anika got the impression that too much prying would be unwelcome.

Others

"Oh yes," Saul said. "I rather think Calligos derived significant pleasure from dropping that on us all at the end. No doubt he was looking to see who take a stab at it, though I wonder if he'll follow up with what happens to it now that it's sold."

He laughed. "He might be surprised if he does. The Navis pay through the nose to take these things off the market. They'll be falling over themselves to give me money just to make it go away. Guaranteed profit, on a venture I don't need to do anything for. Sounds like my kind of proposition."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "I was intending to purchase it in the name of my house," Lorenzo replied. "unfortunately it seems the opportunity has passed." He didn't elaborate further, and Anika got the impression that too much prying would be unwelcome.
    Anika notices him clam up, 'Fair enough.' Given the Monk's side career she wasn't entirely sure she believed him. 'Perhaps the news of the device's existence might be worth something in and of itself. Just in case Saul decides to hang onto it.' Anika will thank Lorenzo for humouring her but will otherwise leave him alone.

24. - Top - End - #744

Lizardfolk

Kennoch perked up, hopeful again. "Then you then do not plan do not to use the abacus to use abacus, Trade Admiral Trade Admiral?" His relief was audible.

~ Sophistemon

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

While the others stay behind to discuss the abacus, Hannabel skips off to the display area to take possession of her new xenos carbine. She then gets directions to the firing range and puts the gun through its paces for about half an hour, giggling with glee as the plasma pulses tear huge chunks out of the targets.

Having had her fun, she returns to her quarters and dictates a note to be delivered to Aoife Armengarde and Charlabelle Armelan.

My dear Lady Captains,

I am writing to you to thank you for the invigorating contest over the large lot of firearms at the auction earlier today. You were worthy and gracious opponents, unlike some others who shall remain nameless. With that said, the plain truth is that I now find myself in possession of far more guns than I could ever have a use for, so I have a proposal for you that will hopefully be to your liking.

If you would care to join me in person at the loading docks later this evening, I will be selecting some choice items for my personal use. The remainder I will happily turn over to you to do with as you will. Should both of you choose to join me, I hope that we can agree an amicable split.

Sincerely,
    Hannabel Shanx, Master Helmsman of the Manticore's Sting

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will do what she can to bug Winterscale's people enough that she can find out the provenance of the Eldar wargear to the extent that any of them knew anything useful. Was it from the Koronus Expanse or had it come from further afield? It was unlikely that it's previous owner had given it up willingly so how had he died? She's still not sure how much of it she actually intends to use in earnest. The chainsword was likely too good not to make use of, at least as long as she got used to how light it was to handle.

Otherwise she'll spend some time in their assigned quarters to experiment with the prognosticator. Probability was something she could understand however unlikely it was that the machine would actually work. She'll try asking it a few questions just to see what the answers looked like. 'Given recent news how long will it take the campaign in the Spinward Front to be resolved? Given where I tend to take books on the Sting, where did I lose that copy of the Venerable Osric's Calixis Chronicles? Given some knowledge of the Sting's crew, where would be the best place to to find an assistant? Given some prior knowledge of Macharius' love life from school which of those ladies is he likely to choose?' This was likely to take some time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Some of these questions may be formatted incorrectly for what the machine actually does. Anika basically has a new laptop to play with.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Hannabel

Once she'd had her fun with the carbine, and dictated her note, Hannabel found herslef meeting both Aoife and Charlabelle at the loading docks, watching servitors load crates into shuttles. Hannabel's lot of firearms was currently spread out in front of them, several of the crates opened, and Aoife was examining a stub revolver.

"To be expected," she said, turning the weapon over in her hands. "Still, quantity has a quality all its own. You want to get rid of most of these? I'm sure Macharius could find a use for them, if he ever decided to play host to a barracks full of soldiers."

Anika

It was easy enough to find people to tell the story of the Eldar gear. It had come from within the expanse, from a warrior that Winterscale had dueled himself. The armour had been ruined in the process of the duel, thanks largely in part to Winterscale's power axe, but everything else had come out ok, and he'd decided he had enough Eldar trophies already. Anika found the chainsword to be similar in function to Imperial make, but lighter and with a slight curve that made it more suited to sweeping slashing motions than short thrusts.

With that settled, determining the function of the prognosticator took longer. It was a complicated, involved process of setting circuit runes, attaching signifiers, and feeding data into the logic core. The broader the qeustion she asked, the more data the machine seemed to want, and the vaguer its answers. It did always provide an answer, but this too was a process, involving much interpretation and a little bit of guesswork, and sometimes - especially in response to questions about a specific answer from largely unrelated data - the machine spit out something that was clearly nonsense. Other times, though, it was quite accurate. Anika was able to ask it questions she already knew the answers to, feed in some related data points, and recieve the correct response.

Others

"I think not, Master Navis." Saul replied. "Most of my trade routes, and my fleet, are set along established routes. The only real use for such a thing would be if all of the ship's navigators spontaneously died, which is extremely unlikely."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #748

Others

"I think not, Master Navis." Saul replied. "Most of my trade routes, and my fleet, are set along established routes. The only real use for such a thing would be if all of the ship's navigators spontaneously died, which is extremely unlikely."
    ++Best to be prepared for all eventualities++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel

Once she'd had her fun with the carbine, and dictated her note, Hannabel found herslef meeting both Aoife and Charlabelle at the loading docks, watching servitors load crates into shuttles. Hannabel's lot of firearms was currently spread out in front of them, several of the crates opened, and Aoife was examining a stub revolver.

"To be expected," she said, turning the weapon over in her hands. "Still, quantity has a quality all its own. You want to get rid of most of these? I'm sure Macharius could find a use for them, if he ever decided to play host to a barracks full of soldiers."
    "If Macharius had wanted them, he should've bid for them. And if he ever wants to play soldier, I'm sure he can scrounge up something equivalent," Hannabel answers with a shrug.

"I only bid on them because I wanted to see if there were any particularly interesting pieces in the lot. There aren't many, and I don't care much for commerce, so if you're interested in the rest of the guns, consider them my gift to you. All I really ask is your word that you won't turn them on us or sell them to known enemies of House Absalom."

30. - Top - End - #750

Lizardfolk

I don't know if I would say "extremely..." Kennoch thought to himself, but obviously didn't voice aloud. To Saul, he nodded happily and answered, "Then in that case then then, I wish you I wish good fortune good fortune." With his worries soothed, Echo went to retrieve the Nostromo memoirs--the orrery probably needed to just be hauled off to the Sting by the porters--and signaled to Lorenzo. Time to find a private spot to record the document and hand it over to his ally.

"Shall we we shall?"

~ Sophistemon