New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

Well, with a good drink in hand, the headaches go away. Until they come back tomorrow with friends, hoho! He raises his glass for a traditional naval toast. To the Imperium, Mankind, and the Navy. And our thanks to the Emperor for a willing foe and void-room!

--------------------------------------------------------

Command Staff

Macharius grits his teeth on hearing of Quinn's scheme. Vulkan's eyebrows! That odious little toad... One of these days, we will need to take action against him.

But, on to the matter at hand. We have to deal with this Lorik before anything else.
    He groans at Anika's suggestion in over-exaggerated pain. Go talk to the bureaucrat? Isn't dealing with bureaucrats what I pay you for? He winks at her, his good humor restored. A capital idea though. Why don't we set up a meeting, show him we're not pirates and heretics.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

Sargon

"It's complicated," Sargon said. "Even chaos reavers need gellar fields, when they travel the warp proper. Warp storms are... not that. I admit I have never done a great deal of study on the precise distinction, but there is a difference between the warp, and areas where the warp intrudes on the materium."

It seemed this was an area, finally, where Echo's prisoner didn't have all the answers.

Dinner Party

"There is, actually," Sans frowned. "I'm not sure why, or what they're planning."

He didn't want to talk about it, much, and was happy to proceed with Macharius' toast and get down to dinner.

The Rumour Mill

Anika's overtures to the Kasballica returned quickly. Malfi was relatively nearby, and her friends remembered her fondly enough. As it happened, Quinn's ship had passed through the system recently, and he'd made some property purchases before continuing on. Unfortunately real-estate speculation wasn't exactly a smoking gun, but his next destination had been Vaxanide. While that world did have legitimate industries, it was a little out of the way unless you were already heading Spinward, and its chequered past spoke of other, less savoury opportunities as well.

Her overtures to her mother, meanwhile, would take at least a day or two more to return. Scintilla was nearly twice as far as Malfi, and there was no telling how busy Lady Irina would be.

Meeting Lorik

As it turned out, though, it took a few days to set up the meeting with Lorik anyways. The initial messages were returned with a request that they please go through the proper channels to set up a meeting. This turned out to involve contacting Lorik's secretary, and filling out several forms. Teresa proved invaluable, running off the paperwork quickly and efficiently, but it still took time to get things stamped and validated and sent off for approval and re-approval. Eventually, Lorik agreed to give them exactly one hour, starting at third bell of the afternoon. By this time, Anika's response from Lady Irina had arrived.

Spoiler: Anika
    Show
    Anika,

I've heard of Lorik, and never from anyone with anything good to say. He's part of one of Lord Hax's special initiatives, and I believe he chose the Port Wander posting. One might have expected something it to be a punishment of sorts, given the location and volume of traffic, but I think Lorik actually likes it out there. Emperor only knows why.

I'll see what I can do with getting you some papers from Hax, or something to that effect. At very least, you might be able to find a way to expedite his searches. Perhaps it would have been beneficial to pay more attention to your tutors in that respect, though I digress. The fastest method may be to show him you're willing to cooperate, and provide anything he asks for in terms of records as quickly as you can. Go prepared.

-Lady Irina Vanhal

Mordechai Lorik's office was cramped, and packed with writing supplies. There were zero concessions made to sentimentality or personality - everything was functional. The desk was spacious, but utilitarian. The walls were primarily given over to shelving units and filing cabinets. A cogitator bank with data cables running to a personal terminal on the desk occupied a nook between two of the cabinets, and a pneumatic message tube extended from the ceiling to a receiving alcove on the right. In front of the desk, Lorik had placed exactly enough uncomfortable metal chairs for Macharius and the number of scheduled associates assigned on Form 12B: Request for Meeting (Administrative Purposes). He himself occupied an only slightly more comfortable chair behind the desk, and did not rise to greet them when they entered.

Lorik was thin, with inkstained hands, his robes hanging from an emaciated frame. He was old, his pinched face and bald head bearing the signs of the juvenat treatments that had extended his life very near to its limit. His left eye had been replaced with an augmetic, wires trailing from cranial plugs to vanish into his robes. On his wrist was a simple brass chronometer, which he raised to examine while they seated themselves.

"You have been admitted early to allow for seating and pleasantries," he said, in lieu of greeting. His voice was dry and papery, like two sheets of parchment rubbing together. "The meeting will commence in two minutes. I suggest you use the time wisely."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sargon

Anika's comment got a chuckle. "We serve we a Rogue Trader Rogue Trader," Kennoch pointed out. "A little ambition little is bound to bound rub off rub."

Sargon's explanation took his attention. A note of intensity came to his voice; Kennoch wasn't sure if Sargon really didn't know or just chose not to say more, but either way, he was interested in this particular topic. "Who would know more who would? About Warp storms Warp Warp Warp. Can you think can you of any experts any?"

Storms and currents...ethereal, ghostly winds... Inside his voidsuit, Echo felt a chill.

Hannabel

"Ahhh...that was just my impression of my impression." Isund smiled at his little joke. "I thought you were concerned about my motives, at least. When I came uninvited to ask about your personal business. But maybe I was wrong. You...are hard to read," he admitted.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

In the intervening days, Macharius makes a point of visiting the cathedral daily, never missing a service. Though he truly enjoys the opportunity, being seen to be pious certainly couldn't hurt.

Macharius has opted for a less ostentatious look for this meeting as well, given Lorik's professed dislike of Rogue Traders. The only obvious piece of jewelry is the Rosarius prominently displayed on his chest. If Lorik's oddities disturb him, his face betrays no hint of it. He nods and crosses to the table, opening a richly-bound prayerbook. Thank you for meeting with us. Let us waste no time then, and begin with a proper prayer to Him on Terra, by whose will we have each made it to this meeting. I am partial to the 75th Canticle of Saint Sebastian Thor, for a meeting between two servants of the Emperor, unless you have another preference?

Unless Lorik objects, he launches directly into the prayer, a staunchly traditional verse thanking the Emperor for guiding His servants in two (or more) different organizations to meet and combine their talents for the greater good of the Imperium. His voice resounds in the cluttered room. Most Holy Emperor, whose watchful eye guides all Mankind through the darkness, we give thanks to You on this auspicious day. We give thanks that Your divine will has led together Your servants on diverse paths, that they may each serve Your will and leave no task undone. We rejoice that we have encountered each other in Your service, that You have given us a glorious opportunity to work together and in doing so uphold Your most sacred Imperium. Divine Master of Mankind, watch over us in the tasks we undertake. May Your will be done. With the sign of the aquila, Macharius is seated.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2021-08-28 at 04:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ettin in the Playground

Command Staff

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Macharius grits his teeth on hearing of Quinn's scheme. Vulkan's eyebrows! That odious little toad... One of these days, we will need to take action against him.

But, on to the matter at hand. We have to deal with this Lorik before anything else.
    He groans at Anika's suggestion in over-exaggerated pain. Go talk to the bureaucrat? Isn't dealing with bureaucrats what I pay you for? He winks at her, his good humor restored. A capital idea though. Why don't we set up a meeting, show him we're not pirates and heretics.
    'If Quinn is capable of being this irritating I suppose we'll have to. In the short term we could always see if we could persuade Lorik to have Quinn searched on his way back through the Maw. It's only fair.'

On the second point, 'And that's why I'm advising you to come with me. Anything to get out of the Port in less than a month. I would absolutely set Hannabel or Ravia on him if I thought it might help.'

Sargon

'I can't speak to the specifics of the Vortex, but I have heard enough lurid stories to wonder if there's any truth to them.' A worse idea had presented itself, 'I'd assume the Vortex isn't that different to the Eye of Terror, and I think we've all heard the stories about what that place has done to anyone who chooses to live there.' Anika will list some possible sources of information, 'If we want certainty I'd say find the oldest and most experienced Navigator you know. Perhaps some of your kind have gleaned anything of use from being outside the Vortex and looking in. Otherwise I think we're obliged to speak with the sort of people who might actually have had a reason to enter the Vortex in the first place. Finding someone like that whose word you can trust absolutely may be a big ask.'

Rumour Mill

Anika will send a thank you reply and underline that she would appreciate hearing more about Quinn's activities whenever there was any news to report. After passing this on, 'Not overly useful to know all this I suppose, but it does give us something to target if Quinn decides to do anything that deserves that level of retaliation.' She was fairly sure she could have Quinn's properties on Malfi burgled if she really had to.

Lorik - Before the Meeting

Anika was fairly sure her tutor had never covered a situation quite this specific but by her mother's standards the message had been fairly helpful. She will pass the details on, 'Mother seems to think Lorik actually enjoys doing this to people, which may mean that doing everything to help him speed the process up might be our best option.' She will do as her Mother suggested and try to be as prepared for the meeting as possible.

At the meeting Anika will make a show of joining in with Macharius' prayer before sitting down. The sight of the man had confirmed all of her worst fears, but Academia had given her some experience at dealing with these sorts of people. Whether Macharius' show of piety helped or not, Lorik had set aside the space for 'pleasantries' so she couldn't see why it would hurt.

Lorik seemed just like the sort of person to end the meeting as soon as the time he had set aside for it was up, so Anika will jump in with some questions as soon as the meeting proper seemed to have begun. 'I would like to ask if there is any truth to the rumour that you have detained us due to stories spread by the Rogue Trader Tristan Quinn? Aside from that may I ask if there is anything I can do to assist your work? I'm sure it would be better for you if we can get out of your way as quickly as possible. You never know how many more ships might be intending to come through the Maw in any given week.'

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Concerned? Oh no, dear Isund, if I were concerned about your motives we would not be having this little talk in the first place. If I were concerned, you would be fertilizing yonder bush and I would be on my way to a hot shower," Hannabel replies with a sweet smile. "Say rather that I am curious about your motives. Has a much nicer ring to it, don't you agree? So, you've been on the ship for some time, why have you chosen this particular moment to come to me with your questions?"

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

Sargon

"Lady Vanhal is correct," Sargon said. "The best place to look is within the Navis Nobilite. Unfortunately, perhaps the most versed in warp lore was House Nostromo. Erasmus Haarlock's purge shattered the house, and a great deal of knowledge was lost. If you could find a living Nostromo, that would likely be the best source of information available, but failing that..."

He shrugged, within his tank.

Lorik

Lorik sat patiently through Macharius' prayer. It was difficult to tell if he had been moved at all by this opener; if he had, it hadn't showed in his expression, which remained neutral. When the Captain was seated he nodded, shuffled a stack of papers, and folded his hands in front of him.

"You have admirably demonstrated your piety, Captain Absalom, with an interesting choice of prayer. Did you know, that during the age of the ancient Inquisition, on Terra, it was a common practice for men to purchase and display religious artworks prominently in their homes? A practice which continues today, in various forms. Of course back then, it was often difficult to tell who was actually a pious believer, and who was simply fearful of Inquisitorial attention. I am sure we shall have no such difficulties here."

He cleared his throat, and began addressing Anika's questions. "It is possible that the words of Mister Quinn have crossed my desk. I have many employees tasked with gathering news and rumours from the ports. My operation here, as I am sure you have noticed with your poking about, is extensive. I take my duties very seriously. Given the history of your particular ship, would you not feel compelled to investigate the activities of the crew of such a vessel very closely, were you in my position?"

He let the question hang for a moment, clearly not expecting any sort of answer, before continuing. "If you do truly wish to assist in the investigation, a desire of which I am very much in doubt, I do not mind saying, then I shall require you to give me and my staff access to all records, hard copy or otherwise, detailling your dynasty's finances over the past..." he consulted a slate "two years should be sufficient. It has been some time since you were last in the Calixis sector. I must verify that all appropriate tithes and tributes to the Imperium have been paid, and collect any that have not. I shall also require cargo manifests and declarations for anything you wish to import to the sector."

"I would not trouble yourselves overly much about any other ships which may arrive in the interrim. If my employees prove to be insufficient to handle a sudden surplus of volume, I have no difficulties in detaining any such vessels until such time as potentially required inspections can be completed."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius smiles. Indeed. Art can have immense value for the pious, both for the artist as an expression of love to our immortal Emperor, and to the purchaser as a glorification of Him and opportunity to subsidize devotional works. What better to inspire the faithful to follow the saints' examples than images of their deeds? As for the impious, their iniquities will reveal them. The Emperor knows his own.

He nods approvingly at Lorik's comment. Of course! As Saint Vorthelem said, a moment of laxity begets a lifetime of heresy. None are above suspicion, even the most faithful of servants. We shall provide whatever you require. In fact, this could prove quite helpful, as we were on our way to Scintilla in part to register new acquisitions and pay the appropriate tithes. Handling all of that here will save time later. In anticipation, we brought a copy of the Absalom Warrant and details of the vessels acquired through salvage or spoils of war, as preliminary matters to get this all underway. He gestures, and a servant lays documents on the desk. Lady Vanhal oversees our finances; she and her staff can provide whatever is necessary.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2021-09-03 at 03:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ettin in the Playground

Sargon

'Assuming any of the Nostromos are still alive who exactly would want to hire members of a House that's supposed to be insane?' Anika asks mostly rhetorically. 'I suppose it's better then no Navigator at all. It is a shame that there isn't of directory where we could look up their addresses.' She purposefully doesn't bring up Katrina Nostromo's book, but it was really Echo's information to share or hide as he pleased.

Lorik

After Lorik's comment on piety Anika regrets taking part in the prayer, but will resist an impulse to laugh. The man had a point, even if it seemed to her like the question of someone's piety was something for the Ecclesiarchy to decide.

It also seemed like Lorik might have had people watching her 'poke about', but she'll leave that aside for now. 'Well then, I would recommend you look at our account of what Captain Quinn was up to when we first encountered him. It should at least provide some evidence as to his character. I wouldn't expect you to just take my word for it either. I'm sure we could ask Captain Jonell to have his people send their account of what happened.' Anika tries to match Lorik's tone in staying as neutral as possible. 'Of course, such information doesn't exonerate us of any hypothetical wrongdoing, but I would hope you might find it worth investigating anything Quinn might be doing when he comes through the Port.' Since you have so much resources.

On the Sting, 'Given our ship's regrettable past I wouldn't say that you're wrong to distrust us, but unless you believe that the Sting's machine spirit can influence our decisions I'm not sure how relevant that is. Shouldn't a ship be judged by the uses to which it is put?' Anika is fairly sure she could list a few examples of renagades and pirates who used more wholesome classes of ship then a Shrike.

On the matter of documents she'll agree with Macharius. 'I'll give you everything we have and you're welcome to ask if we've missed anything specific.'

10. - Top - End - #1180

Lizardfolk

Sargon

"Nostromo Nostromo Nostromo Nostromo..." Kennoch repeated softly to himself. He summoned up Katarina's memoirs in his memorance implant and began reviewing various passages; his attention only loosely held onto the real world. "Indeed indeed," he said vaguely to Anika, though it was hard to say which part he was agreeing with. "I would prefer I would easier sources of information sources, but we make do we make as best we can best as best." Telling Sargon about the memoirs probably wouldn't cause any harm; plenty of other people knew Echo won it at the auction, and he'd already given out multiple copies, so this was hardly a secret. On the other hand, he saw no benefit in mentioning it. Keeping this little secret felt rather nice. In a way, it balanced some of Sargon's distressing perception. The old Navis knew plenty about him already.

"We should investigate we should this potential source this of information information," he nodded. Kennoch's helmet tilted a bit as he fell silent and looked at Anika, as if to ask if she could think of anything else to cover at this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's about it for me at this time, I think, unless you have more to ask/mention. Depending on what Anika knows from your OOC roll, she and Echo could talk more in private. But it seems like we've run through what Sargon knows and can suggest, at this point in time.

Hannabel

Isund smiled politely at Hannabel's casual murder-threat. It wasn't his first. "Well, the dynasty has been busy. We haven't had much free time so far. For the moment, Lord Castermire is still on board, yet we are not in the Warp, or planning to be soon. Fewer dangers require less protection. My team rotates our personal time during periods like this. I've had a few other spare moments these past months, but I used them to explore more of the Sting. There are some restaurants on the lower decks that I enjoyed. The observation dome is a favorite for all five of us, my colleagues and I." Suddenly he sneezed and waved away a passing bug. "...This is my first time in the arboretum, however."

~ Sophistemon

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ettin in the Playground

Sargon

Quote Originally Posted by Blarghy View Post

"We should investigate we should this potential source this of information information
    Anika is interested even as she wonders how much she'll come to regret poking this particular hornet's nest. 'Yes I think so.' To Sargon, 'I believe I'll come see you if I need anything. Don't go anywhere.'

She'll speak to Echo in the corridor once they're well out of earshot. 'I believe I have a few ideas. Speaking to the Eldar might be the easier of the two surprisely. Benjamin Nostromo was supposed to have been left behind when Haarlock went whereever he went off to. But whether Nostromo is alive or has left any trace of himself I would say there are few people more well hidden in the whole sector.' Anika assumes if there was anything to find someone would have turned something up by now. Even if they hadn't neccessarily publicised there find. 'I feel like I might as well go looking for Russ himself, but that doesn't mean that it's not worth a try.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

I think we're done here for the moment

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Lorik took the stack of documents Macharius had brought, and leafed through them. "These... seem to be in order. I shall have to go through them in greater detail, of course. I will also inspect the records as to the activities of Quinn. He's all paid up on his tithes, of course. I checked."

"Can it?" He asked, in regards to the ship's machine spirit. "Influence your decisions? I have heard a great number of unusual things about ship spirits, you know. Shrikes in particular. The Meritech wars, piracy, odd rumours tend to circulate. Is this a list of modifications you've made to the ship, since its original registration? Most interesting."

He continued flipping through the paperwork, making the occasional note, while the chronometer on his wrist ticked loudly. "What's this, then? Jupiter class? Why have I..." he trailed off, looking up from the papers and frowning across the desk at them. "Are you prepared to render the tithes here, or would you prefer they be calculated here and then rendered upon your arrival at Scintilla? Fifteen per cent is standard, for wealth accrued from activities beyond the stated legal boundaries of the Imperium. There is an additional two point five per cent import tax for the articles of Xenos manufacture. Normally it would be forbidden entirely, but the conditions of your warrant are quite clear, in that respect."

His expression made it clear how he felt about this detail, and perhaps about warrants in general.

"You are being suspiciously above board about all of this, actually. Which brings me to the next item on the agenda. I have recieved a communique from the lucid court regarding your vessel. Were you, perhaps, aware of this?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ettin in the Playground

On the effect of the Sting's machine spirit, 'I love old rumours, but my knowledge of the Meritech Wars is somewhat patchy. If there is some to truth to the idea I would be interested in hearing about it. In the meantime I would ask a Tech Priest to be certain about something like that.'

Anika is amused at the idea that the rules could be followed too well. On the message from the Lucid Court, 'My Mother has a position there.' Which didn't answer the question over whether she was aware of anything. 'What's the content of the message?'

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Titan in the Playground

"Mm, yes. It suggests that I might use the expedited inspection process detailled under section 27, subsection B, article 12 of the charter of the Divisio Auditae. Failing that, it suggests deferral of inspection until your ship puts into the more heavily-staffed port at Scintilla. Either of these two things would be within my power to grant. The second would require a signed affadavit signifying that you will not be unloading, altering, or otherwise modifying the contents of the ship prior to said inspection, subject to such exceptions as are declared at the time - that is to say, now. The expedited process involves summary inspection of declared cargo only, forgoing any items which are personal property of the crew or otherwise intended to remain with the ship. However, any items not declared and inspected, and not intended to remain with the ship, would be forfeit to the Administratum upon their discovery or sale and, in the case of sale, profits would also be forfeit."

Lorik paused to see what effect, if any, his words were having. His pinched expression had only grown more sour as he was speaking, and Anika suspected that he had not wanted to tell them about these options but, given their inclusion in the letter, had felt obligated to as part of his duties.

"Naturally, I would prefer to carry out a full and complete inspection of the ship and cargo here and now. If you wish to avail yourselves of those two options, however, the documents you have brought with you today would appear to be sufficient for those purposes."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"It's quite an experience, isn't it?" Hannabel answers Isund's comment about the arboretum. "I honestly can't fathom what Macharius likes so much about it, but it's very important to him somehow," she chuckles.

"I'm glad to hear you're taking an interest in the Sting. Unless I miss my mark, she's going to be your home for the foreseeable future, and one should always get to know one's home. The nooks, the crannies, the little secrets..." she continues, fixing Isund with a curious stare as she speaks. "Speaking of which, why is it that your lord needs his own bodyguard detail when he's serving on a friendly ship?"

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ettin in the Playground

'There's an expedited inspection process?' Anika asked glancing at Macharius. 'Exactley how expedited a process would you expect in this case?' Speeding up the inspection was good but it might give the wrong impression if they were at all bothered about getting Lorik to trust them. On the other hand how much time did she want to spend on Scintilla?

17. - Top - End - #1187

Lizardfolk

Anika

Kennoch's posture stiffened at the mention of Eldar. He found xenos--intelligent ones, anyway, not his delightful familiars--to be even more distasteful than renegades, if possible. At least a soul twisted by greed and undeserved ambition still kept a hint of humanity. Even the insane had started at a familiar mindset, however far they drifted. But the alien...he could more or less see the value in looting their treasures, or keeping them under the Captain's thumb to produce new treasure for the good of the dynasty, but to trust them in any real capacity made him queasy.

"Perhaps perhaps perhaps..." he grudgingly agreed. "I am willing I am to at least consider to consider all our options all. The cause is cause very worthy very. But I still still hold out hope hold out that we might we might find a Nostromo instead Nostromo Nostromo Nostromo. If that is that the Emperor's will Emperor's Emperor's Emperor's."

The Navis brushed his gloved hands together as if to shake away lingering thoughts of the Eldar. "In any case any, I am most grateful I am for your help your help. Thank you thank you, Lady Vanhal Lady."

Hannabel

"Because unfriendly people can infiltrate a friendly ship, of course," Isund explained. "As my guild knows very well. Those barbarian lieutenants apparently felt secure in their fortress, back on that desert planet, and we proved them wrong. If they'd kept guards closer at hand, they...well, they'd still be dead, but we would've had to work harder for it. The regular Absalom forces are nice enough; I don't mean to insult them. But it is better that most of my team stays near Lord Castermire." He thought back to the party in Footfall, cleared his throat of the uncomfortable pollen, and mentally added a quick In almost all cases privately to himself.

~ Sophistemon

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Yes, yes, that much is obvious, and therefore it's not really the question that needs answering," Hannabel impatiently waves away Isund's comment about enemies infiltrating the Sting. "The real question is why does your Lord need safeguarding? He's still young and of no great station, eh? What's he done that would see assassins hunt him far beyond the Calixis Sector?"

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ettin in the Playground

Kennoch

'You are welcome. Just remember, if any of this takes us away from any other business you are going to need to justify it to Macharius.' Anika grins, 'Though I think heading a crusade to purge the Screaming Vortex might actually appeal to him.'

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Lorik

"There usually isn't. That section is intended for exceptional circumstances, people with close personal ties to the administration and the like. Your relationship with a court functionary qualifies you, barely." Lorik explained. "A full inspection of all declared cargo is still necessary, but my people would no longer be required to go over every part of your ship. The burden of declaration is however, shifted to you, as I've said. Any cargo which is not declared is automatically forfeit, instead of simply being subject to taxation."

The upshot appeared to be, mostly, time gained. Having Lorik's people inspect only the cargo would take much less time than having them inspect the entire ship. Anika would just need to be careful about not forgetting anything.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

21. - Top - End - #1191

Lizardfolk

Anika

"I agree I I I! And I and admire his sense his of righteousness of. I assume that assume most Rogue Traders most prioritize their profits profits above all else all else. But the Lord-Commander the has other standards has. I am happy I am to be with to be the Absalom Dynasty Absalom Absalom Absalom."

Hannabel

"You talk like he brought along a private regiment with his own vehicular fleet and air support. Which some nobles would be inclined to do, in his place. Isn't being a Navigator a 'great station' in and of itself? The Rings of Castermire are sworn to House Castermire, as you might imagine. Guarding our Navis is our purpose. A single squad is quite modest, to me at least. Do you remember what you said when the Orks attacked? We had to secure the plasma drives, or else the entire ship would do nothing but drift. Navigators are a single point of failure, too. Our Captain's enemies could take one or two lives and strand us in space. Best to prevent that, yes? And furthermore, you might've heard about the young Lord's personal project. He has a powerful hatred for the Renegade Castermares. If they haven't noticed him yet, I suspect they will when he continues to investigate and disrupt their schemes."

The Castermares weren't the only Navigator House with reason to target Kennoch either. Isund thought about the old mutant imprisoned in the spire. If the Typhons ever found out where their missing elder was being held, they presumably wouldn't be thrilled about it. But he kept this to himself as well; best not to tempt fate.

~ Sophistemon

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorik

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Lorik

"There usually isn't. That section is intended for exceptional circumstances, people with close personal ties to the administration and the like. Your relationship with a court functionary qualifies you, barely." Lorik explained. "A full inspection of all declared cargo is still necessary, but my people would no longer be required to go over every part of your ship. The burden of declaration is however, shifted to you, as I've said. Any cargo which is not declared is automatically forfeit, instead of simply being subject to taxation."
    'I take it not everyone who has such connections is particularly trustworthy, but under the circumstances I can't really complain.' Anika had to wonder how angry Lorik was about this. 'Asking you to trust me is frankly pointless but I would like to reiterate that we have nothing to hide.'

Show

Don't have anything more appropriate to roll, but lets roll Common Lore (Underworld) to anticipate anything that Lorik might have issues with. I assume there's something I'm forgetting.
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[29]

Astropathic message to Morwenna

'I was wondering if I could prevail on you to give the name of whoever's handling your property investments. Your suggestion for Macharius to invest in something obvioisly have merit, but we would like to keep an eye on whatever business Tristan Quinn is currently involved in back in Calixis. Failing actually placing someone on his ship I'd say asking enough of the right people will have to suffice for now.The man has been spreading scurrilous rumours about Macharius and we are currently delayed as a result. I suspect it's only a matter of time until all this turns violent.'

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Oh, to be one of the Navis Nobilite certainly counts as high station compared to most anyone, but we both know that's not the comparison I was making, don't we? He's young and he's been sent to guide the flagship of a very minor Rogue Trader. I mean, even Macharius knows deep inside that his house is still a long way from the top as far as Rogue Trader dynasties go. So sending along anything greater than a squad of sworn men was never in the cards, was it? And even your presence is a statement of sorts - Lady Vanhal is of noble birth, and yet she sees no need to surround herself with personal bodyguards."

"As for your Lord being a single point of failure, that's a fair comparison, but security for the Navigator Primaris could easily have been provided by House Absalom. Your presence is therefore not strictly needed for such a thing."

"Which I suppose brings us to your Lord's personal project as you call it. You've certainly proven you know how to kill efficiently, but if being his army in the pursuit of his renegade cousins is your purpose, I fear you won't last long - powerful servants of Chaos tend to be well protected in this realm and beyond. What will he do when you are gone? Carry on the fight by himself, or does he expect the rest of us to shoulder the burden of his vendetta?" Hannabel says, her gaze steady.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

Lorik

Everything Anika could think of that might raise red flags was either not on the Sting - she was certain Lord Hax would have been interested to learn of the Fllurlokrian biocoral, but they'd never had it installed on the flagship, and in any case it wasn't cargo. In terms of what the ship was actually carrying, it was mostly artifacts destined for the Mechanicus, which were interesting but hardly objectionable. Though, it was Hax. He'd undoubtedly have questions. There were probably some items of note buried amongst the personal effects of the various command crew, especially Ravia, but those would be safely stored away during an expedited inspection. Briefly she reflected that it might be a good thing they never purchased the Void Abacus.

"Not everyone, no, and I think your own status remains to be determined, myself." Lorik said. However angry he was about this, what she'd heard was true - he was an absolute stickler for the rules. "Shall I draw up the declaration forms and tithe paperwork?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "Not everyone, no, and I think your own status remains to be determined, myself." Lorik said. However angry he was about this, what she'd heard was true - he was an absolute stickler for the rules. "Shall I draw up the declaration forms and tithe paperwork?"
    'Be my guest.'

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

Lorik spent some time collecting forms, and filling out a few Administratum Only sections of the paperwork, before passing it all over to Anika.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Int test to fill out the paperwork correctly on the first try.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will look to Theresa to help her double check some details as she signs the paperwork.

Show

vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[21]

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius claps his hands with a broad smile. Splendid! Truly, the Emperor is guiding us both on His path of wisdom. As Saint Sebastov said following the Conversions of Telos IV, "The Master of Mankind guides those in His service down the path of righteousness, clearing obstacles and obfuscations. Though the heretic and recidivist wander in the dark eternally, His faithful are guided directly to His light." What seems to be good fortune cannot help but be a sign of His favor.

Macharius' voice is absolutely certain. Though any good Imperial citizen would thank the Emperor in the abstract for this luck, he seems to have no doubt that the Emperor Himself made this occur. He turns to his staff.

Williams, have a message sent to the Ecclesiarchy here on Port Wander to set up a meeting. We shall be giving an extra season's Ecclesiarchal tithe in gratitude for safe passage and the Emperor's favor, for the construction or refurbishment of a proper edifice where those who ply the void in the Emperor's name can show their gratitude for His grace and beseech His blessings for safe travel.

29. - Top - End - #1199

Lizardfolk

Isund's confusion deepened as Hannabel went on, and by the end, became mild disappointment. "Well," he clicked his teeth slowly, "I'm sure no one would want to burden you with any notions of opposing the Ruinous Powers. I'll try to survive as long as I can, to spare you the inconvenience. If Lord Castermire ever did ask for your help, you could, of course, refuse. You have no obligations to him--especially so minor a person, as he evidently is." The assassin shifted his weight, coughed up some more pollen, and grumbled, "I obviously cannot speak for the Vanhals, their traditions or expectations. But House Castermire tends not to send its members away without any friends or comforts of home and place them entirely in the hands of their captains. If those are your expectations--that a person must cut all old ties and come alone to the Absalom Dynasty--then I'm glad that the decision isn't up to you. It sounds like a very sad way to live, to me."

Spoiler
    Show
    I think you and I just have different interpretations of the setting lore at this point. I don't claim to be an expert, but from what I've read, I was under the impression that any Navigator sane enough to do their job was, by definition, a precious resource to be guarded closely. Particularly if they're only cosmetically mutated, as Kennoch is; he's still got the use of his limbs and everything. The Navis Primer paints an image of palaces, vast wealth, loyal staff, and substantial security. The "very minor" Absalom Dynasty you've described has a foothold on several planets and a fleet of city-sized ships. This is an organization with tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of direct members. An organization that goes to dangerous places, does dangerous things, and makes dangerous enemies with every chapter. I just plain don't think it's weird for one of the top-ranking members to have a whole five bodyguards. It makes sense that Anika chooses not to; she talks often about disliking other nobles and the systems that support them, and based on her mother's letter, I suspect she's always felt this way. I can see how a quirky archaeologist with esoteric interests would behave as she does. It took nearly burning alive for her to hire a single assistant. And hey, fair enough. She's a cool character and I like her--but she and Kennoch are from different backgrounds and have different methods.

Of course, the Doylist answer here is that I personally think minions are fun, the 40k setting seems (at least to me) to encourage them among characters with the level of importance and influence that ours have, the game system itself allows for them, and Destro has been willing to allow for this sort of play. I had the idea for a guild of voidborn assassin-bodyguards to go along with my character, Destro said it was alright, and so, I went with it. It's easy enough to get the minions out of the way when the plot demands it; the transport shuttles go down and we're scattered and on our own for a bit, or the tunnels we're exploring are so expansive that we have to split up into small groups, or an enemy challenges the command staff to a group duel, and so on. I also plan to have Kennoch recruit more in the future and build his own local branch of the guild as time goes on. It's just something I enjoy, even if they don't end up seeing much use outside of capturing renegades during the boarding actions. I mainly enjoy them for the fluff, because I think it makes sense that this character would have loyal guards of his own. *shrug*

Ironically, I figured that Kennoch only having one squad of guards would be suspicious to the rest of you, an early little sign that he's unpopular with the rest of his family. I assumed that, realistically, a Navigator would have more protection. Evidently that didn't come across as I intended.

~ Sophistemon

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

"You know," Lorik mused, "I do believe you're serious."

He said nothing further on the matter, though, and Anika set to the paperwork. With Theresa's help it proved not to be too taxing, and the young scribe rapidly proved her worth as an assistant. She seemed to have a natural affinity for forms. Anika's work was good, of course, but it never hurt to have someone confirm that. Filling out the paperwork and ratifying a schedule for the (now much shortened) inspection process took up the rest of the meeting time.

Macharius' overtures to the Ecclessiarchy were met with a great deal more enthusiasm, and a great deal less trepidation, than the interactions with Lorik had caused. Though Anika's connections had made dealing with the Ordinate-Majore relatively easy, everyone involved had come away with the impression that it could have been a lot worse.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games: