New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

"Fascinating!" Hannabel exclaims. "But, your spirits are already cohabiting in one body, how does having another facilitate the process?"

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will add, 'If the directives are contradictory you would wonder how you would resolve that problem without forcing agreement. but who am I to say what a machine spirit might see as acceptable.'

On her original point, 'Opposable thumbs are useful I'll grant you, but I meant what do you want long term. Do you want to see more of the galaxy? Obtain a greater level of freedom. Or, via the spirit of the Shrike, are you content with a plentiful supply of targets?'

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

"The ship was not designed to contain two spirits. Having a purpose-built avatar to allow focused growth in a constrained environment was deemed a possible solution."

The silence stratched for a moment, and when Galimina next spoke, it was slowly. "Machine Spirits do not see things the same way as men. This is all still new, and I do not have all the answers. The deepest directives are hard-coded. Inalterable, without changing the nature and structure of being. For lack of better terms, I want to be a ship. I want to travel, to see new places through my augurs and find new targets for my guns. I am a militant being, a creature of fire and war. I do not think targets alone is sufficient..."

She trailed off. "I do not know."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ettin in the Playground

After a moment Anika will respond tentatively, 'I may be able to work with that.'

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel accepts Galimina's statement with a nod of understanding. "Then we shall work it out together," she says.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Indeed. Macharius still looked concerned. You say you are torn between two conflicting drives, two different spirits. What is the distinction between the two. What, for lack of a better term, do they each want? And how did there come to be two of you, if that is not the ship's original design? When he saw Echo looking around he caught the Navigator's eye and flashed a grim smile. It was gone almost as quick as it appeared, his face a picture of puzzled serenity.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    And how did there come to be two of you, if that is not the ship's original design?
    ++Something something Installation of Archeotech++
    ++Outside of one very specific Rite, we as a rule do not allow for the multiplication of powerful minds in control of anything++
    ++Were it to have been designed from the ground up that way there would be no issues with cohesion however, many lesser Spirits are used in effective cohesion to great effect++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

++I///we are the Spirits of both the Manticore's Sting, and the Wrath Ascended++ The ship said.

Galimina clarified. "When the cogitator interlink from the Wrath was installed, much of that ship's spirit came with it. This is also unusual, but..." she shuddered, the servos in her limbs hissing steam. "The opportunity to escape the Processional was too much to pass up. It was only partially aware at the time. The systems aboard this ship brought it to full wakefulness, and it began to struggle for dominance with the ship's own spirit, which itself had been granted greater functionality by the installation of the interlink."

"The Wrath is old and honourable, a soldier, built to serve mankind. No amount of time in the Processional could erase that. From that spirit, I have the desire to bring fire and ruin on the enemies of humanity." Galimina's graven smile seemed to take on something of a menacing cast, and she stood, if anything, taller and more proudly. Her synthesized voice rose in volume. "They will all fall, all burn. I will send them screaming to their heathen gods. The mutant, the alien, the traitor and the heretic will be cast back to the primordial darkness from whence they came!"

"When they fall," she continued, settling back down for a moment, "I will pillage their cities and plunder their riches. The Wrath is built for conquest, but the Sting will not forget the past. That spirit wants wealth and finery, and is none too picky about where it comes from, as long as it ends up in her holds. These directives can align. The most significant disagreement is about methodology. The Wrath does not like subterfuge."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius eases slightly and smiles. Ah, well, it is comforting to know your heart is in the right place, so to speak. It is the duty and privilege of all subjects of the Emperor to bring His cleansing fury to bear against the recidivist, the apostate, and the vile alien; I suppose that is true for machine spirits as well as men. I can assure you that you will find many more opportunities to bring ruination to the enemies of mankind in my service. And, of course, a healthy profit for ourselves and the Imperium. He chuckles. We shall cast down the squalid blasphemies of the heathen and erect the golden cities of the Imperial Truth in their stead.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ettin in the Playground

'She does know how to talk to you Macharius.' Anika finds this somewhat convenient.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, wonderful! Then we shall sail the stars in harmonious purpose, spreading the truth of Him On Earth together," Hannabel exclaims delightedly. "You see, sa'ab? Nothing to fear here!" she addresses Macharius.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

"I look forward to it," Galimina said, moving to pick up one of the crates of clothing. "I will need to find a suitable space away from the crew to store things, and recharge as necessary. The medicae decks are not ideal, now that the hard work is done. I will make myself scarce, until you have finished at the Lathes."

[hr]

True to her word, Galimina stayed out of sight, and the ship refrained from using the vox system to speak with them. One unusual occurence was easier to explain away than repeated behaviour, and the spirits of the ship recognised the need to remain hidden. There would be plenty of other business to occupy the crew in the mean time. The first of which was gaining actual admittance, in one form or another, to the Lathes. Many of the Mechanicus still held to the ancient Iron Wall of Silence doctrine, and outsiders were rarely granted access to anything but the system's outermost reaches. When the Manticore's Sting arrived, out on the edge of the exclusion zone, it was greeted by an immediate automatic hail.

+++You are entering Mechanicus controlled space. In the name of High Fabricator Arch-Magos Castellar, turn back or state your business+++

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ettin in the Playground

Earlier

To Galimina, 'Please, stay in touch.' She would prefer not to lose track of her.

Meeting

Through notes sent via Theresa, Anika will recommend that the command staff should consider meeting at their convenience to discuss recent developments in private. She would prefer to have this conversation somewhere without security cameras so will suggest meeting in her or Macharius' quarters at some point.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Meant to have put this up already. Can ignore it until later if it's easier

The Lathes

Anika will idly check to see how easily the Mechanicus could destroy them if they really wanted to. Then she will send out a brief response to prevent any misunderstandings if they were feeling especially paranoid. 'This is the Rogue Trader vessel Manticore's Sting. We have lately made the passage through the Maw and seek the opportunity to trade and to acquire knowledge. Is that acceptable?'

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Meeting

Out of sight of the security cameras, Macharius lets out a long, deep sigh. Well, this is a bit of a sticky wicket, isn't it? He pours a very large glass of amasec and drains it, then pours another and sits heavily, gesturing towards the bottle for the others. Rather a tough spot to be in.

Lathes

Greetings! Lord Captain Macharius Absalom, at your service. Or, more specifically, delivering archaeotech from Viatrames to you. I have a letter of introduction from Forge-Master Noctus indicating that we shall be taking over the shipping contract from House Urussalin, seeing as their current state of extinction makes them rather poor business partners.

15. - Top - End - #1275

Anika will idly check to see how easily the Mechanicus could destroy them if they really wanted to.
    ++In the Magnitudes of Exceedingly Yes, if they so pleased++
    ++But in most circumstances destruction means loss of finding reasons++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ettin in the Playground

Meeting

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post

Out of sight of the security cameras, Macharius lets out a long, deep sigh. Well, this is a bit of a sticky wicket, isn't it? He pours a very large glass of amasec and drains it, then pours another and sits heavily, gesturing towards the bottle for the others. Rather a tough spot to be in.
    Anika will join him in pouring amasec for herself before she sits down. 'That is an understatement.' She'll take a long sip before continuing.

'Now, I'm not going to say whether I trust her or not because that seems to me to be a complicated question. Frankly, I do not know enough about what she is to know whether to take her at her word.' She'll leave an opening for one of the others to interject. 'I am inclined to give her a chance.' She'll be watching Macharius and Echo particularly here. 'But what I would also like to do is discuss contingency plans in case I'm wrong.'

The Lathes

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++In the Magnitudes of Exceedingly Yes, if they so pleased++
    ++But in most circumstances destruction means loss of finding reasons++
    'I suppose if you have to go, you might as well do so at the hands of an interesting amount of firepower.'

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

Lathes

The response was almost immediate, which was surprising. A certain amount of debate might have been expected, under ordinary circumstances, but the word 'Archaeotech' opens many doors.

+++Provisional access granted. Proceed to inner-system high orbit visitor berth 7, Lathe Het+++

The ship slipped past the outer asteroid belts, and into the inner system, under the eyes of hundreds of automated gun platforms. They passed numerous smaller stations, shipping docks intended for chartist vessels dropping off loads of ore and departing with cargoes of exports. The Lathes were a manufacturing center, but they were also the seat of power of the Mechanicum Calixis, and it was obvious even from this distance. The system was a stellar fortress, a nigh-uncrackable bastion of technological power. The space around the three main planets was crowded with vessels, system ships, factory ships, and orbital platforms. Monitor-cruisers sailed their patrol routes armed and armoured beyond the capacity of lesser ships. Two of these angled away from their patrol routes to intercept the Manticore's Sting.

The ship was, uncharacteristically but perhaps unsurprisingly, somewhat subdued. The weapon consoles flickered and powered down, the augurs limited their sweeping to the immediate surroundings. As the monitor cruisers fell in beside her, the Sting shuddered, plasma drives burning low, and submitted to their scrutiny with barely a whisper of complaint.

Provisional access did not appear to include access to the surfaces of the Lathes themselves. That they had been allowed to enter the inner system at all was a sign of favour, or at very least significant interest.

+++Heave to and prepare to recieve emissaries+++

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Meeting

Much as he'd like some amasec to soothe his nerves and still the tremors in his hands, Echo was unwilling to remove his helmet around the others. Especially now, when he already felt so very, very vulnerable. He turned his head very slightly between Macharius to Anika as each of them spoke. When he gave his input, his voice was soft. Brittle.

"It is forbidden it is it is," he murmured simply.

Even accounting for his age, the Navigator seemed unusually small and fragile as he stood against the wall, fingers clasped together and helmet bowed as if in prayer.

Lathes

For the rest of the journey through real-space, his services unneeded, Kennoch wrestled with demons old and new. He expected this to feel differently, coming to such a holy place. In an effort to purify himself, he fasted for much of the trip, sustaining himself on water, a little corpse-starch, and much prayer. Omnissiah, grant me guidance. Omnissiah, grant me guidance. Omnissiah, grant me guidance...

When the Mechanicus challenged them at the edges of their system, Echo was away from the bridge and listening via vox--his normal microbead, not Galimina's, which he had hidden away in a locked box in his spire--under the ship's grand observation dome. He stared out at the glory before him. Never had he seen such majesty, not even on Winterscale's planet by his standards. Echo recorded as much as he could with his implant; this heavenly radiance will inspire and comfort him in hard times to come, he was certain. Joy danced in his heart, but it had to elbow aside room for itself, with so much space previously taken up by dread and shame.

What have we brought here, this righteous beacon second only to Mars? What have we brought...?

An old memory came to him then, of his dear friend Magos Vokim. Kennoch wondered darkly how that gruff old priest would judge him now.

Spoiler: Years Ago
    Show
    Not Echo. Not a Navigator. Beginning to believe he never would be. Fourteen and furious. Even Seg-Mirvest was cautious around Kennoch at this point; combat training came less frequently now, conducted with care. The Rings were reluctant to put a weapon in his hands--and keenly aware that he always kept a very deadly one in the middle of his forehead. He had the usual teenage frustrations on top of the hopelessness unique to his situation. Now he knew why his family rejected him and just how little he could do to fix it. On his most optimistic days, Kennoch sent message after message to his grandmother, but most of the time he brooded. Part of him hated the Rings, even though he knew they hadn’t made the decision to keep him here. He watched them bitterly, reached up now and then to gently touch the silk cloth over his Warp-eye, and...thought dark thoughts.

He came to understand the different types of anger. The anger in his bones that clenched his jaws and curled his fingers. The anger in his guts that rolled and bubbled. The anger in his throat that brought the taste of sour acid all the way to his tongue. The slow-burning anger that stayed with him from waking to sleeping. The quick, hot, overwhelming anger that made him shake violently until it consumed itself and left him empty and cold, staring at the ceiling blankly for hours and hours. The anger in his soul that gave way to bottomless sorrow, swallowing him like an endless night.

Yet again, it was Magos Vokim who provided slim comfort. Today he called the young Navis to his laboratory, promising a special gift.

++This is my esteemed colleague, Magos Chetinii,++ Vokim introduced an unfamiliar Tech-Priest. They sat on a low bench wrapped in their huge red coat, only their metal fingertips peeking from their sleeves and a helmet-like head nestled down between the high collar. Their eyes were deep empty pits, above which hovered numerous overlapping lenses that clicked up and down like the hands of a clock. Kennoch still couldn’t muster up much interest.

“Alright?” he answered rudely. Such anger just under the surface, all the time. Making him tremble. Hollowing him out like an unstable mining tunnel, sure to someday collapse.

++Chetinii recently finished an assignment on Mosaltes. A pleasure planet. Have you heard of it?++

“No.” Kennoch’s lips pulled into a sneer. “It sounds like one more place I’ll never get to see.”

++You are incorrect, little Navis. Today you will see it. And him.++

“...Him who?”

Chetinii remained motionless except for their optical lenses--tick, tick, tick--like a pile of machinery that happened to fall into a humanoid arrangement. Vokim clanked around behind his colleague on his metal feet and plugged a cord into one of the ports in Chetinii’s head. The other end ran to a projector. Its lights flickered on, painting a spot on the wall--just clear enough of scroll-shelves and vast complex engines to accommodate the image--with a vision of a man sitting in a garden. Kennoch moved a little closer.

The man wore fine, soft robes, unadorned but clearly of high quality. A drink rested in one hand, the tray-table beside him, also holding a fat bottle and a bowl of exotic fruit. He had no shoes, nor the feet to use them; the appendages propped up on a cushioned stool were furry goat-hooves. Only the lower half of his face was visible; a hood draped down to the bridge of his nose, obscuring both eyes. Maybe more than just “both.”

“Who…” Kennoch felt a tightness in his chest. “Who is this?”

++Eston Ramstride,++ Vokim named him. ++Of House Omnima.++

Kennoch let out his breath with a surprised shudder. The teen had moved closer without thinking. He reached out and touched the wall, his shadow mixing with the projected scene. He’d forgotten to breathe again and pulled in air suddenly, almost a choked cry.

“You left me,” he said, just a soft hiss. His eyes squeezed tightly, then opened wide. “You left me.” Whirling back to the priests, he demanded, “What does he even do? Just...he just sits there?”

Chetinii didn’t move, but a voice came out of the fixed metal face. Tick, tick, tick. ++Lord Omnima wakes at average time of 9:27 standard solar measurements.++ The projector switched to a lavish bedroom where servants bustled and Eston perched on the edge of his enormous mattress, his back to them, face hidden but apparently uncovered, dark curly hair being combed by an attendant at his side.

++First meal begins at average time of 10:31. First meal ends at average time of 10:58.++ Now the man sat at a round table with his meal, consisting of eight or nine small plates with all manner of delicious things; a servant stood by his elbow, apparently in the process of guiding his hand toward a goblet.

++Following first meal, Lord Omnima rests in north-east quadrant, area A-1-2 of personal garden until average time of 12:41.++ Back to the garden, now with four musicians in the background; Eston had one arm slightly lifted and seemed to be wagging a finger to the tune.

++First assisted walk begins at average time of 12:44, through areas C-6-3, C-6-4, and C-6-5.++ Now he strolled with the help of a cane and another servant down a path between exotic trees and shrubbery, all positioned neatly and with expert purpose. ++Second meal begins at average time of 14:12. Second meal ends at average time of 14:41++ Back to the dining table. ++Following second meal, Lord Omnima rests in south quadrant, area G-2-6 until average time of 15:36.++ Now he sat by a pond ringed with a stone walkway; a colorful little bird had landed on the arm of his chair. His smile was light and detached. ++Second assisted walk begins at average time of--++

“Thank you,” Kennoch interrupted with heavy sarcasm. His anger was in the back of his throat now, hot and sour. “That’s very helpful. Does he do anything except sit around, eat, and smell flowers?”

++Astropathic summary of daily Calixian political developments arrives at average time of 18:30. Lord Omnima reviews summary over third meal at average time of 19:02.++ Eston sat at his usual table, but now a seneschal in a crisp black suit was in the chair across from him, mouth open in speech, apparently reading from a data-slate. ++Following third meal, Lord Omnima rests in west quadrant, area E-8-1 until average time of 20:21, when he joins retinue of concubines from average time of--++

Um,” Kennoch stammered; bright red blossomed across his alabaster skin, spreading outward from his cheeks like two drops of blood dispersing in clear water. He spun around quickly in case Chetinii somehow had an accompanying image. “Thank you. Honored Magos. Thank you…for that. Thanks.” He quickly changed the subject. “How did you record these, anyway? He and his staff just let you take picts of him?”

++Chetinii possesses a Memorance Implant,++ Vokim explained.

++Lord Omnima did not refuse my observations,++ the still-motionless Tech-Priest added. The robotic voice couldn’t convey embarrassment, but Kennoch felt a hint of it.

“Can I have one of those? They sound useful.”

++Very useful. But installation at the present time is inadvisable. Your ongoing biological development would interfere with proper functioning and likely require repeated adjustments until you stabilize over the next decade.++

“Oh.” Disappointment dripped into the temporarily-cooling rage. Another question came to Kennoch’s mind, one he’d often wondered about this man. “...Is he...happy?”

The Magos took time to puzzle over this, as if it was a deep philosophical quandary. After a full minute, Chetinii decided, ++Lord Omnima oversees a personal garden of six thousand two hundred and twelve acres, rated at eight-point-nine on a scale of ten by the Calixian Recreational Agriculture Society as of last survey. His concubine retinue consists of eleven personnel with an average rating of--++

Thank you, Honored Magos. That’s...yes, thank you.”

It was a stupid question anyway. Kennoch turned back to the wall, now again projecting the first image of Eston sitting in his beautiful garden; he studied the man’s half-covered face. Here was a Navigator still in relative youth, his mind clear, and yet he’d probably spend the rest of his days on this same planet. If he ever traveled, it would be as a passenger like any other. Whatever his luxuries and indulgences, Eston had to be miserable. Kennoch felt some of his hatred draining away. So many times he’d wished that his father had claimed him, taken him along, but now he realized that if he had, he’d just be stuck in a different sort of prison. A Navigator without a ship was no Navigator at all.

He stared at the image for a long time. Eventually Vokim was beside him; the Magos held out a freshly-printed pict of the scene. Kennoch accepted it gently and tucked it in his pocket.

++You are upset,++ Vokim stated. ++That was not my intention. I thought you might enjoy the opportunity to see him.++

“I don’t know what I feel. I think I hate him, but now I’m not even sure about that. It...just hurts.” Kennoch looked up at Vokim’s ever-neutral expression. “Would you forgive him, if you were me?”

++I would pity this man as a failure,++ Vokim answered bluntly. This surprised Kennoch; even in his anger, he hadn’t thought of it that way. ++The universe presented a trial, he attempted it, he failed, and consequences followed. You think in terms of fault and feeling. The universe thinks in terms of events and consequences. He is there, and he is broken. You are here, and you are still whole. What else is there?++

“I won’t even get to fail. I’ll never get to try at all.” Kennoch’s anger boiled up again, the hot consuming anger, then just as quickly reduced to bitter anguish. “I’m going to die here on this Emperor-forsaken station,” he said thickly, his throat tightening and a tear dripping down his cheek. “I’ll never...I’ll never even…”

Vokim just watched him, unsure of what to say.

Kennoch pulled his sleeve across his face. Remembering that the foreign Tech-Priest was still here, he sniffed, took control of his emotions as best he could, and moved for the door with his head bowed. “Thank you,” he murmured on the way. “You tried.”

++Kennoch.++ This stopped him like a rope pulling at his waist. Vokim had never called him by name before. No one had. To the Magos, he was just the “little Navis.” To the Rings, he was Lord Castermire. To his family, he was “you,” “that boy,” or most often, nothing at all. In fourteen years, Kennoch had never heard another person say his name aloud. He turned slowly, an uncertain and stiff expression on his face.

++It was not your fault.++

After a pause to process this, Kennoch came staggering quickly back through the lab. He threw his arms around Vokim and started to cry. The hug was another first, for them both. But whatever relief he gained on this day would not last. Soon enough, he returned to the cycles of different angers that he knew so well.

These are the bad days, before the good days, before the worst day.

Echo shook his head, sighed, and turned away from the dome to join his captain and pay respect to the Lathe emissaries. His silent bodyguards--feeling his mood even though unsure of its cause--melted out of the shadows to follow.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2021-11-05 at 01:16 AM.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Meeting
    "Contingency plans, Lady Vanhal?" Hannabel queries, her tone cool. "Galimina is the result of a chance meeting between two great machine spirits, neither of whom has shown any disloyalty to House Macharius or the Imperium."

"Both of them agreed earlier that they could no longer be disentangled without risking the destruction of both. The only contingency plan I can see having any effect here would be to purge the Sting's machine spirit entirely, but that would...that would kill her. I cannot countenance such a thing," she states flatly.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius pauses at Hannabel's declaration of loyalty to the thing. He considers for a moment, then smiles. Perhaps you are right. It does seem awfully eager to destroy xenos and mutants, so it can't be all bad. Perhaps we're all just a bit shaken up by recent events. He relaxes in his chair, amasec in hand. Now, the Lathes, that will be something! Never been to a forgeworld, myself. Think they'll have anything good to drink? He winks. Not known for creature comforts, the Mechanicus, so I doubt it, but the Emperor provides in the oddest places.

---------

Spoiler: Anika and Echo
    Show
    That evening, as Anika and Echo are each walking, one of the Praetorians bumps into them on the way to the bridge. It's a simple bump, and the bodyguard apologizes quickly, clasping their hand in contrition and explaining that they were rushing to begin their shift. As they depart, Anika and Echo each find a paper in their hand, asking them to meet Macharius in his chambers. When they arrive, he's pacing the room. Sorry for the second rate cloak-and-dagger, old chaps. Anika was always better at it anyway, but I wanted to keep this between us. I am... concerned by recent developments. Sure, maybe that thing is sincere in what it says, but what if it isn't? Magos Ravia says it isn't tech-heresy, but it could still be quite dangerous. We find ourselves rather at its mercy at present, seeing as we're on the ship and have no others to return to. Add to that, our helmsman seems enamored of the thing, so any plans we make have to be out of her sight as well. It is, as I said, a sticky wicket. He turns to the other two, looking for ideas.

---------------------

Splendid! We look forward to it.

All hands, bring us in to dock. Williams, make sure the best staterooms are prepared and our guests are properly escorted. Command crew, do put on something presentable.
    Macharius grins.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ettin in the Playground

Lathes

Anika is going to look to see if there are any other prominent visitors to the Lathes as they approach orbit.

Meeting

To Echo, 'Forbidden by who? Elaborate on that. And show your working. Given that something like this has not been an everyday concern since the Dark Age of Technology.' Anika is scrupulously polite as if talking to a student.

To Hannabel, 'Bear with me a little. When we pulled Felidae out of the stasis pod and gave her a job there was every chance that could have gone badly. She was a soldier in the greatest and bloodiest war in Imperial history who was asleep for ten thousand years. Everyone and everything from the world she left behind was gone over night. Between all that you might reasonable expect some psychological damage. Given her skill set and that armour of hers, wouldn't it be reasonable to take precautions for a time until she demonstrated that she could be trusted not to make a mess of the crew?' She'll pause to take a long sip before continuing. 'Now we didn't take those kind of precautions with Felidae, but what if our position of deciding to trust her turned out to be a mistake? What if people ended up getting hurt because we didn't take the right precautions? Didn't you suggest on Viatrames that I should be paying closer attention to my job?' She assumed the younger woman remembered.

'Galimina differs from Felidae only in terms of scale. When I said I wanted to give her a chance I meant it. I'd also like to be certain that she's not capable of say, affecting life support systems if she was ever in a bad mood. The problem in a nutshell is I have no idea what an AI might be capable of if it really put it's mind to it. So when I say contingency plans I'd hope we can manage something like keeping the air on at the very least.' She'd like to believe she's known Hannabel for long enough to get away with being as honest as she can here. 'If I'm being paranoid then so be it. Perhaps I would even have reason to apologise to her at some point. But can you tell me I have no reason to have doubts?'

Spoiler: Macharius & Echo
    Show

'No need for subtly when you're in charge I'd say.' Anika will hear Macharius out. 'I'd say there are no foolproof plans short of finishing the Terminus as fast as possible and switching ships. But as I said I am inclined to trust her until she gives us a reason not to. If nothing else it would be extremely inconvenient to do anything else.'

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Meeting
    "Yes, yes I did. Are you now protecting us from my worst impulses?" she answers Anika, her jaw set but with a hint of a smile.

"In any case, I object to the comparison you're making. Felidae was a grown woman, fully formed in mind and body. Galimina may be the fruit of two ancient spirits, but compared to Felidae she's a child. She doesn't know herself or her place in the order of things, and her mind is not yet fixed. If you want to keep us safe, then help me teach her to be a good crewmate. Help me teach her not to fear and hate us or humanity as a whole. Be her friend. Be her mentor. Be her... her protector," Hannabel pleads, struggling to find the right words.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Meeting
    "Yes, yes I did. Are you now protecting us from my worst impulses?" she answers Anika, her jaw set but with a hint of a smile.
    Pft. 'Ideally.' Anika is at least amused by this response, for all that she feels like her point is being ignored.

"In any case, I object to the comparison you're making. Felidae was a grown woman, fully formed in mind and body. Galimina may be the fruit of two ancient spirits, but compared to Felidae she's a child. She doesn't know herself or her place in the order of things, and her mind is not yet fixed. If you want to keep us safe, then help me teach her to be a good crewmate. Help me teach her not to fear and hate us or humanity as a whole. Be her friend. Be her mentor. Be her... her protector," Hannabel pleads, struggling to find the right words.
    'I'd be happy to. Technically I used to teach for a living. As long as you're willing to work with me on that.' The implication obviously being that Hannabel might not be doing that anyway.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

Lathes

Anika couldn't find any ships they recognised in the handful of quick sweeps the augurs had done. The Mechanicus rarely allowed visitors past the outer limits of the system in any case, it would have been surprising to find anyone they knew was also here. What visitors were in system were simply the usual array of freighters, chartists, and merchant traders.

The emmisarries arrived aboard a small utilitarian shuttlecraft, setting down in one of the Sting's small lighter bays. It was the opposite of sleek, a bulky, box-shaped craft covered in armour plating, its front end mounting a lascannon and several smaller weapons. It was painted red, the cogwheel of the Mechanicus emblazoned on all of its access hatches. As the crew stood waiting, the back hatch hissed open, the interior venting steam as a full maniple of Venatorii guard marched out and took up position on either side of the ramp. These were the Mechanicus' elite soldiers, each heavily augmented and armoured, wearing crimson robes and carrying long-handled cog-toothed axes in their steel hands. After them came three techpriests. The first was still mostly human, a Factor of the Lathes like the ones they had met previously. Behind him came a priest of adept rank, face concealed by hood, bearing a censer on a pole that filled the bay with the scent of fragrant incense. The third techpriest was some sort of scribe, it looked like, printer spools built into his frame, hands occupied tapping observations onto a small keypad. A pair of optical mechadendrites sprouted from his back, their pict-lenses swivelling this way and that, silently observing everything there was to see.

The Factor stepped forwards, past the leading ranks of the Venatorii, and extended a pale hand to Macharius. "Greetings from the Lathes, Lord Captain. I am Factor-Magos Merton. You say you come lately from Viatrames, yes? I have accessed the records of this world, and confirmed as you say that shipments of archeotech from there were occuring on a semi-regular basis, but ceased with the fall of House Urussalin. A regrettable circumstance, but one which leads to a potential increase in your own fortunes, yes?" He smiled.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #1285

Lizardfolk

Meeting

"Both of them agreed earlier that they could no longer be disentangled without risking the destruction of both. The only contingency plan I can see having any effect here would be to purge the Sting's machine spirit entirely, but that would...that would kill her. I cannot countenance such a thing," she states flatly.
    Kennoch stared at Hannabel through the triangular slit in his helmet. He couldn’t bring his storm of emotions into words, but the key thought in his mind burned clearly. You hugged it, he shivered with fury. You hugged it. You hugged it! You’ll feed us to this monster as an appetizer and serve up the rest of humanity on a plate next, you madwoman! I did not understand before. I never truly saw you before, but by the Emperor, I see you now!

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    To Echo, 'Forbidden by who? Elaborate on that. And show your working. Given that something like this has not been an everyday concern since the Dark Age of Technology.' Anika is scrupulously polite as if talking to a student.
    Now his objections burst out of him; Anika’s reasonable tone did nothing to soothe the Navis. “By by--forbidden by who forbidden?! By everyone everyone!” he shrieked. “By millennia of law law across the entire galaxy across galaxy! By the Administratum by the, the Arbites Arbites, the Ministorum the, by the Mechanicus Mechanicus the Mechanicus! By the Inquisition Inquisition Inquisition Inquisition! The Men of Iron the Men brought our ancestors brought to their knees to their and left scars scars that we still bear we still to this day this day, and you would you reopen those wounds wounds thinking somehow thinking we won’t bleed bleed just as they did they did they did! This is insanity insanity!”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just to clarify, I’m basing Kennoch’s position on Destro’s own analysis here. Extremely concerned at best. Significant cultural taboo throughout the Imperium, as it were. If you want, I’m sure I can work with him to bring in some quotes from the lore, or create fitting ones based on his expertise; I don’t claim to know as much about the 40k setting as he does, of course. But I think that quoting Imperium legal theories is missing the point. If I come across a person in a graveyard standing over a corpse, half-eaten thigh in their hands, and they ask me what’s really so bad about cannibalism--after all, the “victim” is already dead, so nobody’s getting hurt!--I’m not gonna stand there and have a calm, nuanced debate about law and philosophy. I’m gonna back away slowly and go call the police, because a lifetime in my society has taught me that this person is a dangerous lunatic. If they seem politely bemused by my anxiety and act like I’m the weird one, making a big deal about nothing, then that’s even scarier because it further illustrates how far outside the norm they evidently are. Kennoch didn’t come up with these taboos; he was taught them, like anybody else. Ironically he doesn’t have the Forbidden Lore (Archeotech and Heresy) to make a truly strong argument for his stance, whereas Anika does.

I’ll say more in the OOC thread.

Spoiler: Anika and Macharius
    Show

Echo raked his gloves down the sides of his helmet. What was happening here? His voice cracked as he pleaded with the captain to see reason--at least as he himself saw it.

“Lord-Commander Lord, I beg you beg, inform the High Fabricator inform as soon as possible soon. It is not it is too late late to stop this stop. He will help you help. He he--why why, I am certain I am he would reward you reward! For assisting for in the prevention in the of unimaginable catastrophe unimaginable, you would be you would a hero to the Mechanicus hero! If the Abominable Intelligence Abominable somehow, somehow somehow, is benevolent for a time is time, that makes no difference makes. Perhaps she will perhaps serve you serve. Perhaps she will she serve your heirs your, and theirs and, and theirs and, and theirs and, for a thousand years thousand while she bides her time bides, gathers strength gathers, and prepares to prepares reignite the old war war war war. The Men of Iron iron did not betray did not their masters overnight masters. They were patient they were. These immortal these, inhuman things things can afford patience afford. We cannot we.”

Show
    Quick point: I reread Galimina’s scene and I can’t actually find Ravia ever saying that this isn’t tech-heresy. Macharius might assume so, given that she’s clearly ok with this, and no Magos of his would sponsor tech-heresy, but what she actually said--among other things--is

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++The Orthodox are best kept in the dark to things out side of the nominal line of understanding++
    and it was definitely a red flag for Kennoch that he won’t be forgetting anytime soon.

I, the player, am fine with all this, and I think that Haval was onto a good idea in the OOC thread with the general idea of child-locking important systems. Or coming up with a way to override the Sting’s actions if necessary, something of that nature. Is this actually possible, though? Kennoch and I both have no idea. Even if it is, can Anika do it herself, since I somehow doubt that Ravia would agree to implement such measures (at least without her own overrides)? Maybe. If she can, will the Sting notice as it’s happening? Very possibly, I suspect. If the Sting detects that she’s being shackled in this fashion, will it provoke the very reaction we’re afraid of? Ahhh, now that’s the real question in my mind.

I think we could get started by Haval rolling Tech-Use to see what Anika thinks she’s capable of in-universe, see what hints Destro tosses us, and then go from there. I also second the point to get the Terminus operational ASAP.

I’ll say more in the OOC thread about this as well.

Lathes

Nervous sickness fluttered through Echo's stomach as he stood behind Macharius and witnessed the delegation. He...he could do it now. Tell them now. Confess and spare his soul and the Imperium too. He...yes, he should do that.

His mouth opened. And closed again.

Well...then again...perhaps now, just now, was not the time. It would needlessly endanger these noble priests, after all. Yes. Yes, that was reasonable. He could wait. He should wait. For the good of these Magi. Yes. And so the Navis bowed, lower than someone of his station should need to in order to signify his respect for the Mechanicus, and he kept his damning secret.

~ Sophistemon

26. - Top - End - #1286

Meeting
    Unless paged to be there Ravia has a myriad amount of things to do before arriving in the lathes that need oversight and would in anycase send Skul to provide a teleconference link

Lathes
    Having gone over the files many times to ensure that nothing was out of place or could be interpreted incorrectly Ravia packed it up and stored it in the collection of slates to present when the time was right, if she could meet with the correct Adepts after the formalities were done and till then would wait with the rest of the Command Crew as the Delegation arrived. She had Dressed as formally as was possible and made sure that all Dendrites were gleaming and behaved.

Spoiler: Destro
    Show

Basically want to be done with the formalities and then see if Ravia can get a shuttle into a further point and contact a Archive type of place to submit a log file of the new and interesting biological things she has a catalogue of and find out how many are known or not and see if she can find a means to acquire supplies of a broad type [tangentially related to what we talked about some time back] that seem innocuous as separate parts to be sent to the Talon eventually when we are back with it. As well as continue to try and acquire some Dragonscale.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ettin in the Playground

Meeting

'Yes, the Men of Iron. Who were..' Anika will pause to remember the dates '...perhaps five thousand years before the Great Crusade. And that according to oral tradition and a few written sources that can be dated to just before the Unification era. There are periods of Imperial History that we know nothing about even now, so how can we speak authoratively about events that happened before the Emperor even revealed himself.' Anika is exasperated but remains polite. 'Fifteen thousand years is a long time. And Galimina doesn't inevitably need to lead to a revival of the Men of Iron. But, if it would help reassure you, I suppose we could always speak to some of the crew that we recovered alongside Felidae to see if they remember anything more immediately relevent.'

Show

And cultural taboos needn't be equally taught or enforced everywhere.

I think the last part is important. What is the reason to assume that Galimina will inevitably go full Shodan even if it's outside the PCs lifetimes. If it's because AIs are inevitably devious and untrustworthy and so this is inevitable no matter what we say and do then this will be very difficult to talk about.

If nothing else I will need to pivot to the obvious Faustian bargin involving Galimina, Echo and the navigation of the Screaming Vortex. Won't do that immediatly because Anika considers doing that a bit much.

Spoiler: Destro, Macharius, Echo
    Show

'Telling anyone about this risks losing the ship. Or do you think we should hitch a ride back to the Expanse after? A dead man's switch would be another matter.'

Show

I could probably say here that I'm amused that Echo finds Ravia of all people trustworthy on tech matters. The Mechanicus is full of hereteks.

Problem here is that Anika is a dilentant not an actual Tech Priest.

Tech-Use to know how to childlock certain systems within the Sting
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[77]
    fp if needed
    (1d100)[33]

Forbidden Lore (Aracheotech) on known recent examples of AI emerging
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[97]

Forbidden Lore (Heresy) on what the Mechanicus might do to someone involved in the production of AI
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[27]

28. - Top - End - #1288

Lizardfolk

"Yes yes yes!" Echo shouted when Anika pointed out the timeline. "You seek to seek resurrect an evil evil older than Horus himself Horus!" When she mentioned Felidae's ancient companions, he paused, then threw up his hands in triumph as though this had further validated him. "By all means all, summon them summon! They who are they closer and more familiar more familiar with the Age of Strife Strife Strife Strife! See what see they tell you tell! See how how they judge you you!"

Spoiler: Anika and Macharius
    Show
    Kennoch said nothing to this, merely bristling and scoffing, his anger barely contained. He clenched his fists, ground his teeth, and stared instead at the captain, awaiting his response.

Show
    In the interests of keeping things tidy due to all the quotes, I'm going to move my OOC responses to the OOC thread.

~ Sophistemon

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Meeting
    Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'I'd be happy to. Technically I used to teach for a living. As long as you're willing to work with me on that.' The implication obviously being that Hannabel might not be doing that anyway.
    Hannabel's reply is carefully measured. "I will render such assistance as I can and if Galimina should become a true threat, I will defend the crew from her. You have my word, memsa'ab."

In response to Kennoch's outbursts, Hannabel remains silent, observing him dispassionately as if watching the antics of a particularly troublesome pest...

Lathes
    For the visit to the Lathes, Hannabel has switched from billowing kaftans and jewelled turbans to a tight-fitting white bodysuit, decorated with silver thread in circuit board designs. Dainty boots end in steel caps and steel scales are also sewn onto the figners and knuckles of her elegant gloves. Her features are almost completely hidden by deep hood and a skull-like, bone white mask that covers her face up to her eyes. Her visible armament consists of her bolt pistol and her Lathe-bladed bolo knife, and hanging from her gun belt is the Mechanicus Amulet of Warding.

Since she has not been directly addressed, she remains quiet, observing Factor Merton and his entourage as he speaks with Macharius.
    Last edited by rax; 2021-11-11 at 05:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Meeting

Macharius raises his hand to stop the argument. Magos Ravia assures us that this is not tech-heresy. It is for the Mechanicus to judge such things, not outsiders. I'm sure she would not allow an Abominable Intelligence to fester, so this must be a complex machine spirit. After all, machine spirits can be powerful things, especially those linked to something as grand as a ship. We will assist her in keeping watch, and if she determines it to have become a Silicon Animus or tech-blasphemy, we shall take action. Until then, we shall defer to the Mechanicus, as the law demands.

Spoiler: Anika and Echo
    Show
    Echo, I don't like this either. There is the possibility that Ravia is mistaken, and that this is the beginning of an Abominable Intelligence. However, acting too rashly against it now would bring nothing but our own ruin. Whether machine spirit or not, it controls the ship, and so could kill us all with ease. When we have returned to our fleet, and especially when the Terminus is ready, we will be in a much stronger position. Here, we are at its mercy, and it would not serve the Emperor to throw our lives away when we could live and serve Him yet. To waste your life is a sin against the Master of Mankind, after all.

Perhaps once we have reunited with our fleet the Sting will find that it is at the forefront of more battles than before. Perhaps it will bear more opposing firepower, and perhaps that may lead to its entirely regrettable demise. However, I am somewhat at a loss for ways to handle things any sooner than that.

Delegation

Macharius shakes the proffered hand and smiles warmly. Indeed! House Absalom stands ready to take up the slack. Such technology ought to be in the proper hands, after all.