New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

The market area Moore had driven them past seemed an ideal location to bring down goods and start trading. It didn't take long to find a good landing site nearby, if not necessarily in the city, and from there it was a simple matter of logistics. Macharius didn't need to worry about that aspect of things too much - he had people for that sort of thing, but most of the crew were ketp very busy. Macharius' shuttle fleet was only so big, and they had acquired a lot of commodities to bring down. It took the better part of the rest of the day, and most of the night, to finish unloading everything.

The next morning, looking down from the top of the temple spire, they could see several plumes of dust, approaching the city from different directions. The sand and dirt filled the skies, making the convoys visible for miles. The Ruster clanlord was first to arrive, perhaps tipped off by Max Stone that he should show up and make a good first impression on the outlanders. He and several other Rusters rolled up to the market in a battered chimera, the hull armour pitted and scoured by the elements. It ran well enough, for how poorly it looked, and the Ruster clanlord - Bruce was his name - turned out to be a muscular, bearded man, with a leather apron full of tools. Most of the rusters wore toolbelts, actually, and carried old but well-cared for lasguns, and other small arms. Bruce spent the first few minutes of his time examining their goods, and exchanging pleasantries.

The other two, Smokers and Lumes, showed up about the same time. The Smoker clanlord was a huge, bald man with an eyepatch and a face like curdled milk. He wore armour, like Joe Moore, but his was covered in grime, the whatever insignia it might once have born obscured by a thick coating of black soot. He lost no time, upon arrival, sending a few men to keep watch on the perimeter in case Moore decided to pay a visit. That done, he sat around scowling, and waiting to speak with someone in charge. The final clanlord was actually a woman, with hair buzzed short and a huge pair of ancient driving goggles covering the top half of her face. The lower half was also covered, but with a bright red bandana that had frayed aorund the edges. Unlike the others, who had all driven enclosed vehicles, she showed up on a motorbike, one of the ancient sort well suited to crossing sand dunes and other uneven terrain.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

"If they can keep that old rustbucket running, my vote is for recruiting from the Rusters," Hannabel observes casually.

OOC: Speaking to whomever might be listening from the command crew.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Use the sensors on the Terminus to look for likely spots on the planet for excavation. Mount dozer blades on all those big vehicles, start digging, sell off the artifacts, and invest part of the profits in a fleet of near-derelict tugs. Send the tugs out to the asteroid belt, and start systematically giving each and every asteroid a nudge, to send it on a course to crash here - preferably in some deep desert area where no one goes. In ten years time, we could be harvesting crops five times a year. And all the might of the Imperium rests on a foundation of ... humble wheat.

Only problem in this plan: I have no idea whether a belt of water asteroids exists in this system.

Plan B: If no watery asteroid belt exists in this system, I propose digging out anything valuable here, then uprooting everyone who wants to come.
    Anika is interested in the possibility of engineering planets. 'Wait...is that actually possible?' Maybe they used to do that sort of thing back before Felidae went into the ice. 'If it works it would seem like it would be worth doing all the time. Assuming you can only lightly drop an asteroid on a planet.'

'And taking anyone who wants to go with us is the very least we could do here. I assume we can find a use for them and I can't see Moore objecting.'

Later

'I wonder if the gun still works on that thing.' Anika replies, 'And I'd like to think we wouldn't have to choose. Do they get on with each other? And how feral is the Lumes woman?'

She'll introduce herself to the collective warlords, 'Greetings from the Manticore's Sting. Please let us know what we can do to help.'

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Anika is interested in the possibility of engineering planets. 'Wait...is that actually possible?' Maybe they used to do that sort of thing back before Felidae went into the ice. 'If it works it would seem like it would be worth doing all the time. Assuming you can only lightly drop an asteroid on a planet.'
    You know .. I have no idea? I heard about it being done, back in the day, and it sounds simple and doable. All that's really lacking on this planet is water, right? Of course, having a steady stream of icy asteroids dropping on your head might not appeal to the locals.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

In practical terms it would be a question of Acquisition Points, right? I imagine near-derelict tugs aren't that expensive to someone of Macharius' calibre, but this system might not offer much in the way of refuelling them, and also, what ever goes into refuelling them maybe isn't cheap? Although I'm pretty sure fuel isn't weighing super heavily on our finances.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius speaks to Bruce before the others arrive. Clanlord Bruce. Lord-Captain Macharius Absalom. Tell me of your clan, and your goals. How would you rule? How would you serve the God-Emperor?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Spoiler: Ravia and Echo Only
    Show
    Leaving the others behind for the moment, Echo and Ravia set off looking for Noctus. They found him before too long, working on one of the temple's air circulators. The side panel had been removed, and the techpriest was up to his elbows in wires. "These require frequent maintenance," he said as they approached. "Keeping the temple running is a never-ending source of work. Could you assist me, while we talk?"
    Spoiler: Destro and Ravia Only
    Show
    Kennoch stepped aside to let the Magos assist. He was silent for a long moment: this simple scenario illustrated to him more keenly than anything else he'd seen just how depleted the local Mechanicus had become. He assumed that Noctus was the leader of this chapter, and thus the planet; surely the senior priest would've met directly with someone of Macharius's rank. Yet here was the Fabricator-General, not deep in study or busy with politics, but instead personally handling basic maintenance.

Their situation is truly dire. How many Adepts even reside here at this point? Recruitment must be nearly impossible.

Next, he struggled with how to raise his concerns. It was such a difficult and delicate matter, walking the knife's edge between duty to his Captain and what Echo saw as his responsibilities toward the Imperium as a whole. And in any case, he needed to be subtle.

"...Honored priest, honored" he began slowly, "our conversation before before was cut short, cut and I have more questions more I have. Can you tell me can you more about your original arrangement your arrangement with the Urussalin dynasty Urussalin Urussalin Urussalin?" He gestured toward Ravia. "The Magos says the Magos it involved a transport route involved route all the way all to the Lathes Lathes Lathes Lathes."
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

[COLOR="#0000CD"]She'll introduce herself to the collective warlords, 'Greetings from the Manticore's Sting. Please let us know what we can do to help.'
    The lady from the Lumes spoke first, pointing at a barrel of fuel-grade Prometheum. "How much of that you got, an' what you want for it?"

The Smoker man snorted, and waved a hand dismissively at her. "Food, parts, water if you have spare. I'll also be wanting a look at any weaponry you have for trade. Weaponry, and armour."

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Macharius speaks to Bruce before the others arrive. Clanlord Bruce. Lord-Captain Macharius Absalom. Tell me of your clan, and your goals. How would you rule? How would you serve the God-Emperor?
    "Honour to meet you, Lord Captain. Max Stone says he thinks you're a straight shooter." Bruce offered to shake hands with Macharius, but continued to speak whether Macharius took him up on that or not. "We're called the Rusters, on account of the state of most of our vehicles. Not much sense painting them, you see, sandstorm'll strip it right back off quick as lightning. We're the working man's clan. We keep things running, especially in and around the city and our outposts. The Vulkanites are good, but there's not enough of 'em. Truth be told, I'd probably have joined 'em myself, if I didn't think I was needed out here. They keep themselves removed from politics, which is smart, but it means that if something breaks down too close to the election, well, it might not get fixed till after. So your pardon, sir, but I really see myself as doing the Omnissiah's work, first and foremost. Even if I'm not properly initiated, and all."

He paused, to gauge the effect his words were having. "Way I see it, sir, there needs to be people like me, to get into all the grubby corners and keep things on track. Our vehicles run well, but it's been a while since any Ruster won the election, on account of us being typically less aggressive about it. Victory has bounced around a bit, sure enough, though the last while it's just been the Immortans and Smokers. Max Stone, he's a good man, but he doesn't want the job, and the Immortans have a lot of dedicated war equipment that we don't. A few more heavy weapons in our camp would go a long way. If I got put in charge, though? I think I'd make the partnership with the Interceptors more formal, try to stamp out the raiding and make it safe to expand the city. We've got no shortage of men willing to work, but it's just not safe enough outside the walls to strike out on your own. Safety in numbers. And in great big walls with plenty of guns. If we got things set up well and truly safe enough, I'd love to take back some of the big excavations, and start digging up all the old tech down there again."

Show
    "It did, yes," Noctus said. "The Urussalins had exclusive transport rights to everything we dug up. It was, I understand, quite a coup for them to have secured the deal, but the Lathes wanted what we had buried here, and the Urussalins were the best way to get it back to Calixis without a dedicated Explorator fleet. We'd study it here first, catalogue all the finds to ensure nothing went missing along the way, and then package everything for transport. It would all get picked up once or twice a year by a Dynasty vessel, and they'd be paid their fee on delivery to the Lathes. Given time, I'm sure we would have finished with excavating, and then perhaps switched focus on the world. There are some significant mineral deposits, once you're through the aquifers. All the groundwater is a powerful resource, as well. Was there anything more specific you wanted to know?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Tagging along with Anika, Hannabel stays to speak with the leader of the Lumes. "Hello there, I'm Hannabel, Lord-Captain Absalom's driver. That's a nice set of wheels you've got there. Build it yerself?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika looked appraisingly at the Lumes woman and wondered what effect the Prometheum had on their vehicles. Assuming they weren't just drinking it. 'I'm happy to give you as much of that as you can afford. Subject to our whatever restrictions we have to put up with from Moore of course.' She'll fish a dataslate out of her coat which contained a few suggestions of equipment that they might need for Port Davies. 'I suppose the question is what can you give us in return if you don't have the thrones? I believe we're here in search of old tech that you aren't necessarily using anymore. Even if it's broken I'm sure Ravia can get it fixed up. Alternatively if any one fancies coming to work for us as part of the deal I'm sure we can work something out.' In theory feral worlders often made some of the best fighters and it didn't hurt to ask.

To the Smoker, 'I think we brought along lasguns for just this eventuality. Not very impressive, but probably better then nothing if you don't have access to them. May I ask who you usually end up fighting with?'

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius shakes the man's hand enthusiastically. Splendid, splendid! A true servant of the God-Emperor, what? You know your place, and the place of your clan, in the greater harmonious whole. As Saint Eustacio taught, there's a place for every man and a man for every place. So you wish to build a stable and prosperous planet. A good goal, and one I could get behind. What are you lacking? Besides artillery, of course.

----------------
    After speaking to Bruce, he walks over to the Smoker chief. Clanlord. I hear that you and Lord Moore have your share of disputes. Tell me, how would you rule in his stead? How would you serve Him on Terra as ruler of this planet?

11. - Top - End - #131

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Ravia and Destro Only
    Show
    "There is, is is" Echo confirmed.

Every Rogue Trader craves profit, but at the moment, Macharius appears more interested in the archeotech. If he stands to gain more from working with the Mechanicus than he could expect to obtain on his own, then perhaps he will let simple economics guide his thinking.

"The Urussalins Urussalins Urussalins Urussalins also received some of the archeotech some archeotech for their efforts, yes their efforts? Can you give me can you give any examples any? And furthermore, and and does your chapter does still have the numbers still have to uphold uphold your original bargain bargain bargain bargain?"

If Noctus could barely keep his own temple running, Kennoch wondered if he even could satisfy the Lord-Commander's needs, should an arrangement be reached.

~ Sophistemon

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Tagging along with Anika, Hannabel stays to speak with the leader of the Lumes. "Hello there, I'm Hannabel, Lord-Captain Absalom's driver. That's a nice set of wheels you've got there. Build it yerself?"
    "Found her, fixed her up myself. Made a bunch of special modifications." The lady looked Hannabel up and down. "You're the driver, huh? What do you drive?"

'I suppose the question is what can you give us in return if you don't have the thrones? I believe we're here in search of old tech that you aren't necessarily using anymore. Even if it's broken I'm sure Ravia can get it fixed up. Alternatively if any one fancies coming to work for us as part of the deal I'm sure we can work something out.' In theory feral worlders often made some of the best fighters and it didn't hurt to ask.

To the Smoker, 'I think we brought along lasguns for just this eventuality. Not very impressive, but probably better then nothing if you don't have access to them. May I ask who you usually end up fighting with?'
    "You give me prometheum, I can get you whatever you want. If you want men, I'm sure there's a few who'd love a chance to get off this rock, vehicles, equipment, those are easy. There's a ton of old mines, with not much reason to use them anymore, all packed full of excavators and digging implements. I can have a truckload of it for you tomorrow."

Deacon grunted. "Moore. Raiders. Who else? Lasguns are good, no need to get more ammo when you can just recharge the pack. You get ones with the power setting switch? Those are best."

Macharius shakes the man's hand enthusiastically. Splendid, splendid! A true servant of the God-Emperor, what? You know your place, and the place of your clan, in the greater harmonious whole. As Saint Eustacio taught, there's a place for every man and a man for every place. So you wish to build a stable and prosperous planet. A good goal, and one I could get behind. What are you lacking? Besides artillery, of course.
    "Some of that prometheum fuel would help. Our vehicles run on refined oil, what our ancestors named guzzoline. Using actual prometheum results in increased power output from the engines. You get a consistently higher top speed. Artillery would be one thing, and heavy weapons another. It helps to have an edge in the election, on account of there not being much in the way of rules. Posting men with heavy weapons along the course is something of a tradition. Then it's just a matter of arming and training as many of our people as we can, and building fortifications to make things secure. If you could get us a supply of new vehicles from somewhere offworld, or just help the Vulkanites build up enough that they can start building more again, that would be great too. Lot of our older stuff is barely holding together."

After speaking to Bruce, he walks over to the Smoker chief. Clanlord. I hear that you and Lord Moore have your share of disputes. Tell me, how would you rule in his stead? How would you serve Him on Terra as ruler of this planet?
    "Putting it lightly," Deacon agreed. He seemed a little confused by the rest of Macharius' question, though. "If I could get rid of Moore for good, you mean? He's been a right bugger to kill so far. Not for lack of trying in the last few elections. Probably still end up with a few small fights, takes a while to get over old anger, but I'd take his clan over, take his equipment and strongholds, and that'd be a start. Less fighting, when you're obviously too strong for anybody to take."

Show
    "Examples? Why?" Noctus stopped working for a moment, glancing over at Echo. Then he composed himself. "I think there are a few old things in storage, still. They were supposed to go to the Lathes, but no ships came to make that final run. As for us here, we would need an influx of recruits in order to get back up to the old numbers, but it could happen. Likely as part of a slow wind up on the excavations. The populace is lightly versed in the lesser mysteries, purely as a matter of necessity, and we have not done a recruiting drive for some time. Part of the requirement for remaining apolitical, you understand. What would it look like, to people like Moore, if we started trying to build up our numbers?"
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-12-17 at 07:52 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

'I admit I'm not sure what kind of lasguns we picked up, but I suppose I could see what we have lying around in the ship's armoury.' Anika will have someone check that at the first opportunity. 'Or we could see if we have anything heavier?'

'Anyone who wants to come work for us as part of the deal is welcome, but I admit I have no idea when we'll be back this way. Those who are overly attached to this place should probably stay here.'

To the Lumes woman, 'I think we'll take any mining equipment you don't want and we'll try and work out a fair trade for it tomorrow. It does seem rather a shame though. If we do make it back out here I think we can try to find something more useful then promethium and guns.'

14. - Top - End - #134

Lizardfolk

Show
    It would look like you were fulfilling your holy purpose, Kennoch thought harshly. Does Noctus even have the disposition to stand tall and retake his place in this world, if I manage to provide a path? I understand his predicament, but this priest seems almost timid.

"You may soon you may have larger problems problems than your High Clanlord, Clanlord High Clanlord" he said bluntly. It was time to just get to the meat of the matter.

"The Lord-Commander Absalom Absalom Absalom Absalom intends to bring this world intends this world to heel heel heel. As is his duty, his duty" Echo points out quickly. "Moore is a serpent Moore serpent. His days his are numbered numbered. If you take advantage if you of this opportunity, this opportunity you could prosper again you could you could. Unfortunately unfortunately..."

The Navigator tapped his gloved knuckles together in thought. "Macharius does not Macharius Macharius Macharius trust the Mechanicus Mechanicus Mechanicus Mechanicus. He covets wealth, of course, of course wealth but to perform his duties perform duties he also needs archeotech needs archeotech. He fears your order fears your will deny him access deny access and limit him limit to meager scraps scraps. In any case, any he is allied he is to the Ecclesiarchy Ecclesiarchy Ecclesiarchy Ecclesiarchy. He believes he can believes find better fortune better without your interference without."

He paused to let Noctus digest that troubling information.

"But there is yet time time yet. If we demonstrate if we the usefulness of the Mechanicus usefulness and the wonders wonders you bestowed upon bestowed the Urussalins, Urussalins Urussalins Urussalins Macharius may be swayed may be.

"I wish to help wish to you help yourself help help help. For the good the good of House Absalom, Absalom the Adeptus Mechanicus, Mechanicus and the greater Imperium Imperium Imperium Imperium. What say you what?"

~ Sophistemon

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Training men, building fortifications, and importing vehicles will likely take more time than you have before the race, will it not? However, promethium and heavy weaponry should be available. I shall see what I can provide. And what does your clan have to offer in exchange?

---------------

Annoyed by the man's lack of piety, Macharius excuses himself politely after a few minutes and goes to speak to the Lumes leader. Greetings, Clanlord. It appears you are the only leader I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting. Tell me, how would you rule? How would your leadership serve the Golden Throne and Mankind?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

"Found her, fixed her up myself. Made a bunch of special modifications." The lady looked Hannabel up and down. "You're the driver, huh? What do you drive?"
    "Whatever the Lord-Captain needs driving," Hannabel answers with a grin. "Right now, I'm flying the Aquila," she says, jabbing her thumb at the landing platform on the Mechanicus temple. "The rest of the time I make sure the Manticore's Sting gets where she needs to go," she continues, now jabbing her thumb skywards. "But whenever we need to go groundbound, I drive as well - bikes, limos, skimmers, tanks. If it rolls or flies, I can handle it."

"Speaking of which, Max Stone says you and your Veluminaries are crazies that worship your wheels and make a big nuisance of yourselves raiding and pillaging. What's that all about? Why the obsession with vehicles?" Hannabel asks straightforwardly.

OOC: Busy at work, so my posting rate is a bit low, but I'm assuming Hannabel can get a little more talky time in before Macharius barges in.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Blarghy and Destro Only
    Show

Ravia had been content to let Echo speak and just assist for the most part.

++He wants Archeotech but without knowing what Archeotech he actually can make use of, much in the way that everyone craves the older technology for its superior characteristics.++
    ++While I am sure that more common current age parts can be well substituted for most of what is not the parts that cannot he would not know of what to do without one of an Adeptus's knowledge. The ecclesiarchy rots the memory stacks of many a otherwise useful human and has its hooks deep in the trader. They wont help him one iota with what he actually need doing++

++While the other trader house had the deed to the world as a whole im sure that The Lathes don't care who provides the shipments on that they come, i suspect that they are out there polling other clan lords as to whom to make a pious puppet of++
    ++What is the Vulkanites thoughts on who would be a worthwhile leader for this planet?++
    ++Your Temple is here and you should have an active say in things that will affect your planets outcomes over just the whims of a trader++

Spoiler: Destro Only
    Show

In Binary interwoven with the above

##In strict confidence: Archeotech predominately required, regarding reconstruction of a Jupiter class battle-cruiser##
    ##Cross reference to the need for adepts who know Naval Architectural practices//Archeotech##
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Training men, building fortifications, and importing vehicles will likely take more time than you have before the race, will it not? However, promethium and heavy weaponry should be available. I shall see what I can provide. And what does your clan have to offer in exchange?
    "Yes, of course, but I was speaking of long-term plans, there. In the short term, better fuel and some heavy guns. Maybe an edge in the election, if you're not planning to compete yourself? Either way, I'm happy to offer you an alliance. Bringing back the offworld trading interests would help prop things up until we can get properly established."

"Whatever the Lord-Captain needs driving," Hannabel answers with a grin. "Right now, I'm flying the Aquila," she says, jabbing her thumb at the landing platform on the Mechanicus temple. "The rest of the time I make sure the Manticore's Sting gets where she needs to go," she continues, now jabbing her thumb skywards. "But whenever we need to go groundbound, I drive as well - bikes, limos, skimmers, tanks. If it rolls or flies, I can handle it."

"Speaking of which, Max Stone says you and your Veluminaries are crazies that worship your wheels and make a big nuisance of yourselves raiding and pillaging. What's that all about? Why the obsession with vehicles?" Hannabel asks straightforwardly.
    Annoyed by the man's lack of piety, Macharius excuses himself politely after a few minutes and goes to speak to the Lumes leader. Greetings, Clanlord. It appears you are the only leader I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting. Tell me, how would you rule? How would your leadership serve the Golden Throne and Mankind?
    "Hot damn. I bet a flyer like that puts out some proper speed. Course, you miss out on having the wind whip past your face as you go." The woman laughed. "You been talking to that old troppo git? He's always having a whinge about something or other. He's not wrong that we love our wheels, though. Take good care of 'em, boost 'em up. We care about performance, we do. And if we need to lift a few things here and there, well, what's a bit of fun, aye?"

"As for the obsession, well, hop on a bike and go whipping through the rocks some time. Blowing up dust, hot air in your face, nothing else like it." Macharius walked up just as the woman finished speaking to Hannabel, and she turned to greet him. "Hey there, boss man. Was talking to your broker, and I hear you've got plenty of prometheum we might buy. I'm going to scare up some mining equipment for you, see if we can't have a deal. You're gonna watch the festivities? When we win, this year for sure, I'm going to get the Vulkanites to start cranking out vehicle parts again. Fix up some of the old junkers and go critter hunting. Plenty of big scary beasties out in the wastes to take down, just need a good fortified spot to work from."

Show
    "Distressing," Noctus said, at Echo's news. "I had hoped he could simply wait. After the election, as I said, we would be more than happy to trade. Especially if, as you say, Moore's days are numbered. But your Magos is correct. The accords, ownership of the planet, that is the domain of the Administratum. The Lathes would jump at the chance to restart the flow of Archeotech, and the word of the Lords Dragon goes a long way in Calixis. I'm sure they would allow you to take over the Urussalin contract. Perhaps I could prepare something to that effect, so that your captain might see the value of working with us?"

"For a leader, I prefer someone who will work with the Temple, rather than against us. We will not rule here ourselves, but seek a partnership. I believe that of all the groups, the Interceptors align most closely with our interests. Though I say this in confidence, you understand."

Spoiler: Ravia Only
    Show
    ##Jupiter class? I am unfamiliar with this designation. I am not a shipwright##
    ##Ref: Cruiser scale archeotech components: Secure an alliance with the Lathes. Their resources are second to none within the sector##

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    if you're not planning to compete yourself?
    To Macharius, 'We may want to talk about that. If only to make sure we're all on the same page.'

After the Lumes leader had finished, 'Everyone should have a hobby. And you make living here sound almost entertaining. You probably should tell us more of these 'beasties' though.' Especially if they were to be participating.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

"Hot damn. I bet a flyer like that puts out some proper speed. Course, you miss out on having the wind whip past your face as you go." The woman laughed. "You been talking to that old troppo git? He's always having a whinge about something or other. He's not wrong that we love our wheels, though. Take good care of 'em, boost 'em up. We care about performance, we do. And if we need to lift a few things here and there, well, what's a bit of fun, aye?"

"As for the obsession, well, hop on a bike and go whipping through the rocks some time. Blowing up dust, hot air in your face, nothing else like it."
    "I'll bet it's a hoot," Hannabel nods. "But why do you need to form your own clan to go joyriding? Everyone here seems to love their wheels and it seems like they could all do with people that know how to tune 'em and ride 'em properly? I mean, what is it that your clan wants to do here? Just ride fast and free forever?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

To Macharius, 'We may want to talk about that. If only to make sure we're all on the same page.'
    "If you need a vehicle," Bruce said, "I'll sell you one of our surplus. We've got a few that could serve well with a day or two of work."

After the Lumes leader had finished, 'Everyone should have a hobby. And you make living here sound almost entertaining. You probably should tell us more of these 'beasties' though.' Especially if they were to be participating.
    "I'll bet it's a hoot," Hannabel nods. "But why do you need to form your own clan to go joyriding? Everyone here seems to love their wheels and it seems like they could all do with people that know how to tune 'em and ride 'em properly? I mean, what is it that your clan wants to do here? Just ride fast and free forever?"
    "More or less, yeah. I mean, everyone here loves their wheels, but nobody else loves speed and power like we do. We're the clan of the free. We're not uptight like the Interceptors, or worried about our holdings like the Smokers an' Immortans. Nobody tells us what to do."

On the subject of creatures, she laughed. "Well, there's these big sorta bug things, and scorpions the size of tanks, and some of the caves have these ambush things that drop from the ceiling and wrap around your head..." She demonstrated with hand gestures, and mimed falling over.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel pauses to scratch her chin, studying the Lumes' clanlord. "And what did your people do before the Urussalins disappeared? I mean, how did riding fast come to be your purpose in life?"

23. - Top - End - #143

Lizardfolk

Show
    The Navigator felt mildly surprised--and impressed. I assumed that Stone came to the Temple of his own accord, but perhaps that's not the case. You may have some political abilities in you after all, Fabricator-General.

"Every thing I have said I have have said is in confidence confidence confidence," Echo replied dryly. "Macharius seems amenable seems to working with working the Interceptors Interceptors Interceptors Interceptors. I will encourage this I will. Your proposal proposal sounds wise too sounds. I will do will what I can what what."

This more or less concluded Kennoch's goals with the Temple, for the moment. He waited to see if either of the tech-priests had more to discuss, but he himself had delivered his warning and advice; now he could only wait--and carefully influence.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We can keep this scene going if either of you needs to, but I've said my piece. I'm ready to go looking for beast-wranglers whenever.

~ Sophistemon

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius excuses himself from the conversation with the Loony leader and spends the remaining time making polite conversation with the various Clanlords, seeing what resources they want and what they have to offer. Without making it too obvious, he's particularly attentive to Bruce, plumbing for details on available vehicles and specifics on how the race is run.

----------
    Once the Clanlords have departed, Macharius gathers his command staff. Well then. We now know the situation here and the various parties. Seems like an interesting method of selection, what? This planet needs stability, order, and the Imperium to run efficiently, but the payoffs are considerable. My inclination is to run the race ourselves, with the support of the Smokers and Interceptors. Once we win, I'll appoint Bruce to rule in my stead, with Max Stone to advise him and run security. Any opinions, chums?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

To Bruce, 'Hold that thought.' She assumed they wouldn't have anything as suitable but will call the Sting at some point to check.

Anika looks at the Lumes chief with distaste. 'Bugs. I'm not overly fond of the regular sized ones. Perhaps bringing bigger guns here would be a public sevice.'

Until the clan lords have left and they can speak freely she will ask them questions about the state of Viatrames to judge what sort of tech might actually help these people. She will also try to keep an eye on her less diplomatic colleages.

To Macharius, ''Always have plenty of opinions. Whether they're usful or not is another matter.' She clears her throat, 'Someone ought to try and fix Viatrames as no one else seems to be interested in trying. Doesn't mean it has to be us but since we're here I feel some obligation.'

"The other clan lords seem trustworthy enough but even if we tried to work with Moore the problem would be the same. We can't watch these people all the time and we have no reason to expect them to behave themselves without a mutual dislike of Moore to bond them together. Getting someone else in here to help would likely be helpful but since there are numerous arguments for and against whoever we ask I am neutral on that question. Assuming the local Mechanicus are trustworthy and have an Astropath perhaps they'll be willing to call us if anything terrible happens.'

'Somebody tell me what I've forgotten.'

26. - Top - End - #146
    Banned

What we need is a model of motivation. A clear goal to pursue, and a clear path to get there.

As an example: Mount dozer blades on all those nice vehicles, get digging, sell off archeotech, get profits, invest in improvements we can provide. And meanwhile, we build a proper administration, with military muscle their paltry renegades cannot hope to match. Ending in a simple choice: Play nice and be succesful - or don't, and be gone.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

After any last words from the Loony Lady
    Hannabel shrugs. "The payoffs are all hypothetical. This planet has a population smaller than the Sting and the inhabitants are at each others throats. My guess is that the Veluminaries, at least, won't bend the knee to anyone but their own, and they're probably the least interested in actually running the place. So no matter what, you'd likely have to put down at least one clan just to bring any long term peace to Viatrames. Killing off one clan also means recruiting even more people from somewhere else to colonize the place properly. I think this place is a bad investment. We should stick to the original plan - hire the people and machines we need to help get Port Davis up and running, and leave."

"If we must put down roots here, it should be with minimal investment. If we're going to dig out some archaeotech, we should do it in alliance with the Mechanicus. They've probably got connections ready to dispose of it and getting the cog-boys on our side is worth a lot more than the planet itself. Of course, before we sign on to dig up anything, we should conduct a proper survey ourselves."
    Last edited by rax; 2019-12-29 at 01:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

This place is not a bad investment. It's low risk - high reward - all the way. You said it yourself: The whole planet has less population than the Sting. We could take this world in a matter of hours, if we so pleased. But there's no reason to do that.

All we need to do here is get the locals working for us.

They don't manage to find the archeotech? So what? We move on, nothing ventured, nothing lost.

They do begin digging up wonders of a bygone age? Well hooray for us, we laugh all the way to the Galactis Nobilis Bank. And we don't need to look at this as a colony in need of development. We can view this as a voluntary work camp, with the most succesful workers able to buy a place in our other colonies - for the money we paid them to dig up our archeotech.

You, Hannabel, simply aren't capitalist enough for the 41st millennium.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Hannabel pauses to scratch her chin, studying the Lumes' clanlord. "And what did your people do before the Urussalins disappeared? I mean, how did riding fast come to be your purpose in life?"
    The woman shrugged. "That was a long time ago. I wasn't around. None of my people were around. So I don't really know."

Macharius excuses himself from the conversation with the Loony leader and spends the remaining time making polite conversation with the various Clanlords, seeing what resources they want and what they have to offer. Without making it too obvious, he's particularly attentive to Bruce, plumbing for details on available vehicles and specifics on how the race is run.
    The resources on offer were, realatively speaking, small. The planet had minerals and a wealth of oil, but in material terms the big selling point was vehicles - over the course of a few conversations, Macharius got the impression that the vehicles here, even if they had degraded somewhat, were all very robust. The engines had been tweaked and adjusted to optimise power from a fairly inefficient fuel, and running them on prometheum would be a notable boost in power. The Vulkanites had all the patterns on hand to fabricate parts for the things, and with a little more manufacturing infrastructure in place the planet could turn a solid business just off the engines. The other point, of course, was manpower. While the population was small, every man, woman, and child in it had some basic understanding of how their technology worked. This was, of course, a necessity born of isolation, but it also made them some of the most technically savvy non-Mechanicus people Macharius had ever seen.

What they wanted, of course, was what he had brought - Jonell had provided solid advice, and Macharius had made quite a few good deals in order to load the Sting with cargo. With what the inhabitants were willing to give him in exchange, he would turn a decent profit off the trading alone, as well as picking up the equipment and people needed for Port Davis. Bruce sent off an order to his people to figure out what they would be willing to part with from their motor pool, and offered to let Ravia come and inspect them. On the election race, what he told Macharius was mostly what they already had heard: It was an anything-goes race from the start line to the finish along a set course. Part of the course ran through caves, which was fine for the Viatramans, since nobody owned any flyers, but meant that Macharius couldn't simply enter his Aquila and win that way. He did give out some other details on the course, though; the start and finish sections were mostly flat, but there were some rocky areas near the beginning. The caves were entered through a naroow canyon, which tended to bottleneck the racers, and the ridges and canyons on the other end of the caves were a popular spot to post ambushers.

To Bruce, 'Hold that thought.' She assumed they wouldn't have anything as suitable but will call the Sting at some point to check.

Until the clan lords have left and they can speak freely she will ask them questions about the state of Viatrames to judge what sort of tech might actually help these people. She will also try to keep an eye on her less diplomatic colleages.
    One of the things Macharius did not yet own was a supply of ground vehicles. The dynasty had not been left with much in terms of military power, or even groundcars, and the rebuilding they were now undertaking had not yet run them across a large supply. The result was, ultimately, that they did not already own anything that would be suitable to enter the election.

In terms of tech, the big things they were lacking were medical facilities and infrastructure expansion. What was already here was about at capacity providing for the current population, with the exception of Beacon City's fusion reactor. The generatorium, housed within the Vulkanite temple, would easily be able to accomodate power requirements for the foreseeable future, no matter how much expanding they did.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

"Capitawhat? Never heard of it. But for a woman with no proven skills except shooting things, you're suddenly full of bright ideas, aren't you?" Hannabel replies archly. "Perhaps you should be the Lord-Captain's seneschal, seeing how you're now an expert on the proper methods of colonizing and exploiting whatever real estate we happen to come across."

"Of course, all you've really offered so far is to put a bolter - real or metaphorical - to the head of every man, woman and child on this planet and make them dig for treasure. You can pretty it up all you like, but it's still no more than good old-fashioned indentured servitude - slavery, even. My guess is even Max Stone would find that a bitter pill to swallow, no matter how much Macharius tells him it's the will of Him on Earth," she shrugs.

"Anyway, this conversation is boring. I'm going to see what the local moonshine is like. Call me when you're ready for lift-off."