New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: rwbyOS X: Even the Thread Gets a Costume Change!

Spoiler: S8E6
    Show
    Well, sad backstory is sad I guess.
    I'd feel worse if Cinder wasn't, well, Cinder.

Also, so many people who are too dumb to live.
    I mean there are good ways to treat your... employees, there are bad ways to treat them and there is the get murdered in your frigging sleep way.
    Even Salem is better at this than that woman.

Seriously, if Huntsman dude hadn't intervened those three would've died much earlier.
    Not that he doesn't fall in that category either. I mean the girl just killed a bunch of people* and you knocked her down for it. Don't get closer when she's still has her weapons in reach.

*Even if they might've had it coming.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Things I noticed in S8E6 (there are probably things I did not notice)

Spoiler: V8E6
    Show

There is a No Faunus sign in the Glass Unicorn Lobby much like a No Smoking sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well, sad backstory is sad I guess.
    I'd feel worse if Cinder wasn't, well, Cinder.

Also, so many people who are too dumb to live.
    I mean there are good ways to treat your... employees, there are bad ways to treat them and there is the get murdered in your frigging sleep way.
    Even Salem is better at this than that woman.

*Even if they might've had it coming.
    As @Kantaki pointed out they are too dumb to live, but it is also part of the culture and how segregated and hierarchical it is.

The No Faunus sign indicates Racial Hierarchy much like BS that has happened in several cultures of our real world. This also tracks with other things we have seen about the Faunus in other conversation about different people. It is toxic, injust, hierarchy in several places but especially Atlas where the Glass Unicorn is located in.

Thus we have an Orphan Girl who is adopted and made into a foster child / indentured servant / slave, where you have the ability to use physical force at the push of the button to force compliance but also to provide Pavolian negative feedback whenever you want. Pavlovian as in Ivan Pavlov the Russian Psychologist who wanted to understand positive and negative reinforcement and is thus credited with the founder of Modern Behavioral Psychology. He noticed that merely ringing a bell that you train a dog that I ring bell food occurs soon, well the dog will start salivating with the bell sound even if there is no food nearby and this is in a different environment. The Madame is too stupid to live, but based off what we are shown with Cinder and the No Faunus sign it is likely she saw Cinder as "beneath her" as in some inferior form of Human or an animal much like some Humans see dogs.

-----

So references to Cinder's backstory besides Cinderella

Glass Unicorn is a reference to the Glass Menagerie which is a Tennessee Williams play. I have not read this play but know some of it through cultural osmosis and having a younger sister whose name was Laura when she was still alive.
    In it Laura is a shy girl who is all alone in this world. Her mother Amanda is "something" (something I can not capture for I have not read the play) but my sense is the mom was intense and mom wants Laura to be married off, so she gets her son to set Laura up with a friend of the son. Something something happens and Laura learns it is not to be and the friend breaks the glass unicorn that was precious to Laura making the Unicorn a normal horse. Laura gives the broken glass unicorn now a horse to the friend and I know nothing more of the play. The title Glass Menagerie is a reference to this Glass Zoo / Animals of Glass, and thus via naming the hotel Glass Unicorn it is referencing Tennessee Williams play.

Rhodes (the male huntsman) is a reference to Rhodopis which is a Cinderella Myth of Egypt that is at least 2100 years old recorded by a Greek Historian Strabo.
    It could also be a reference to the earlier myth Rhodopis which is about a Greek hetaerae which we would use other language now a days to describe hetaerae such as courtesan / mistress / geisha. These two myths may be linked, but yeah sexual slavery stuff, where the women gets to escape slavery in a fashion.

Any additional references did people see in this key episode besides liking the music?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Congratulations RWBY, you did your best and that's what counts. You get exactly one(1) credit.

*blows a tiny horn in mild celebration*
    Hahaha.
    Show
    Cinder's backstory is a bit too much of a cliché for me I'll admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Spoiler: V8E6
    Show
    Any additional references did people see in this key episode besides liking the music?
    Show
    Oz is in the literal belly of the whale.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-19 at 05:47 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Hahaha.
    Show
    Show
    A little bit on the nose, yeah.
    Makes me wonder how she ended up working for Salem though.
    Because it's a bit ironic, she killed her foster family caretakers enslavers to be free and ended up serving Salem who treats her pretty much the same.
    Only she's less of a stupid [beep] about it.
    As I said, I'd pity Cinder, but... Cinder

Show
    Show
    Aren't they more in its forehead though? I thought that orange glow is where the throne room/bridge is.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

Hahaha.
    Show

Show
    What oh god no! That is NOT what I'm talking about, Cinder's backstory ****ing eats pants. It sucks. I would never say it is good, at all.

I'm talking about
    Spoiler: S8E7
    Show
    A trans character exists on screen and isn't abjectly terrible rep.

I'll admit I thought all y'all was on episode 7 because you... like the show.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-12-19 at 06:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    A little bit on the nose, yeah.
    Makes me wonder how she ended up working for Salem though.
    Because it's a bit ironic, she killed her foster family caretakers enslavers to be free and ended up serving Salem who treats her pretty much the same.
    Only she's less of a stupid [beep] about it.
    As I said, I'd pity Cinder, but... Cinder
    Spoiler: s8e6
    Show
    It's a sad truth that abused people tend to find new abusers.

Show
    Aren't they more in its forehead though? I thought that orange glow is where the throne room/bridge is.
    Spoiler: s8e6
    Show
    Well yeah, but this was more an episode(s) wide observation.

EDIT:
    What oh god no! That is NOT what I'm talking about, Cinder's backstory ****ing eats pants. It sucks. I would never say it is good, at all.
    My response to you, and my spoilered bit were unrelated, sorry for being unclear.

I'm talking about
    Show
    I'm afraid I missed them, who do you mean?
    Meh, I wouldn't say I like it but I don't find it bad enough to be actively angry. I just kind of forget about it until I see this thread bumped and go "might as well check it out." Though this season is really an improvement over the last two, had it been in the same ballpark, I would probably have stopped watching alltogether.

I certainly don't like it enough to pay for it.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-20 at 04:07 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157

My response to you, and my spoilered bit were unrelated, sorry for being unclear.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm afraid I missed them, who do you mean?

Spoiler
    Show
    Meh, I wouldn't say I like it but I don't find it bad enough to be actively angry. I just kind of forget about it until I see this thread bumped and go "might as well chzck it out." Though this season is really an improvement over the last two, had it been in the same ballpark, I would probably have stopped watching alltogether.

Aah, sorry.

Also I somehow got the number wrong it's Episode 7, not 6 that I'm referring to specifically. Anyway,
    Show
    May Marigold was noted as being trans by a character designer or her voice actor, and in ep 7 it comes up as A Thing, so it is canon and matters slightly.

That sounds like liking it to me, personally. Because the series has done nothing but get worse in my opinion. It's kind of absurd.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm talking about
    Show

I am on episode 7 but I try not to talk about current episodes besides teases of how good things are if I like things. I don't have a reason why I am like this but I am like this.

On the subject of Episode 7

Spoiler: V8E7
    Show

Can we have May Marigold, the Trans character with the invisibility power, can we have her punch her cousin Henry Marigold again?
    Henry being the annoying character from Vol 4 that caused Weiss to leave Atlas, breaking bonds with her father.

That sounds like liking it to me, personally. Because the series has done nothing but get worse in my opinion. It's kind of absurd.
    I am liking the show more than I used to somewhere between season 4.5 to 7. I was so excited for season 1 and 2 that I was forgiving flaws for I thought the various creators were trying and they were on a shoestring budget and so on, so I ignored the very obvious flaws. But by season 4ish I was disillusioned.

And now it is reversion to the mean phenomena where I recognize the show is not good, but it is better than it used to be, and I can enjoy bad things generally for even bad shows often have things that are great mixed in with rough storytelling.

Just typed the 2 paragraphs above out, and while typing I realized I am literally describing Gartner's Hype Cycle except it is not a new technology or a new business product but instead an artistic product which follows different rules and so on. Well OOPS but I find this oops funny 😎

Spoiler: V8E7, a theory for Episode 8 and beyond with the rest of Vol 8?
    Show

Emerald is going to pull an Aladdin and take the lamp away. Emerald also knows the password, Jinn, for the lamp.

Of course Hazel is going to try to use the lamp prior to doing that. But we need a twist at the end of the volume. Somehow Atlas and Mantle survive, but it looks like all bad things are loss but Salem loses the lamp due to Emerald so it is not all bad.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-12-19 at 08:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Spoiler
    Show
    snip

[SPOILER]snip
    Are you forgetting something? (Please label your spoilers as directed in the first post!)

Then pay for VRV instead and get the RoosterTeeth channel along with Crunchyroll, HIDIVE, Cartoon Hangover, MONDO, and VRV Select.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #160

As an aside, a podcast I watch is doing a death pool. 100 points, dish'em out how you please.

Mine are;
    Spoiler: No Spoilers Here Just Death Predictions
    Show
    DEATH POOL
    Nora: 5
    Ren: 5
    Robin: 10
    May: 50
    Ironwood: 10
    Ace Ops they're all one character don't @ me: 20
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-12-19 at 11:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

LaZodiac I do not like your game, I feel like I lose no matter what choice I make. You would make a much better Salem apprentice than Cinder.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    I don't know why, but Tyrian is always a highlight when he gets a part.
    But him calling other crazy is particularly great.
    Especially since he has a point.
    No, not how great and glorious Salem and her goals are, but that if you don't realise she's gonna murder everything after spending meeting her you need your head checked out.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Then pay for VRV instead and get the RoosterTeeth channel along with Crunchyroll, HIDIVE, Cartoon Hangover, MONDO, and VRV Select.
    None of these sound appealing to me.
    Show
    I don't know why, but Tyrian is always a highlight when he gets a part.
    You do you, but I think he's just the worst.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Know what I need

Spoiler: Stuff after Vol 8 Episode 7, just fan stuff
    Show

I need Tyrian to haunt the new kingdom he is going to. The desert one ... whose name I am blanking on. (Vaccual or something ... google says Vacuo - on the central continent of Sanus, huntsman academy Shade.)

But I need Tyrian to go to Shade and just annoy the two Team SSSN members Sun and Neptune. All these pranks, all these hijanks and it is literally driving those two not bright boys out of their minds. And nobody knows what is happening besides these exhausted SSSN members for Tyrian is having fun being absolutely wicked to these huntsman in training.

Meanwhile Team CFVY makes cameos and think SSSN is so unprofessional without knowing what is going on

-----

Yes I am cheering for Salem and team WTCH. I want her victory and I want the various team evil members to have as much fun as possible while the world burns. Except Cinder, I want her to suffer more in her pursuit of power, her keep on losing like she is in Team Rocket.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Know what I need

Spoiler: Stuff after Vol 8 Episode 7, just fan stuff
    Show

I need Tyrian to haunt the new kingdom he is going to. The desert one ... whose name I am blanking on. (Vaccual or something ... google says Vacuo - on the central continent of Sanus, huntsman academy Shade.)

But I need Tyrian to go to Shade and just annoy the two Team SSSN members Sun and Neptune. All these pranks, all these hijanks and it is literally driving those two not bright boys out of their minds. And nobody knows what is happening besides these exhausted SSSN members for Tyrian is having fun being absolutely wicked to these huntsman in training.

Meanwhile Team CFVY makes cameos and think SSSN is so unprofessional without knowing what is going on

-----

Yes I am cheering for Salem and team WTCH. I want her victory and I want the various team evil members to have as much fun as possible while the world burns. Except Cinder, I want her to suffer more in her pursuit of power, her keep on losing like she is in Team Rocket.
    Spoiler: Fan stuff + After the Fall
    Show
    Maybe this is because I've actually read After the Fall, but I've had more than enough of Team CVFY being smug.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Spoiler: Fan stuff + After the Fall
    Show
    Maybe this is because I've actually read After the Fall, but I've had more than enough of Team CVFY being smug.
    After the Fall Stuff that I have not read but continuing that conversation so there may be spoilers
    Spoiler: Team CVFRY and After the Fall
    Show

I am not saying my ideas are good, I am just trying to "save" broken cookies that did not turn out well in Vol 2 and Vol 3 of RWBY.

I can go read the After the Fall thread that you made, but anything in particular that "exhausts you" ? (and thus lets move onto the things about RWBY that actually work?)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

After the Fall Stuff that I have not read but continuing that conversation so there may be spoilers
    Spoiler: Team CVFRY and After the Fall
    Show

I am not saying my ideas are good, I am just trying to "save" broken cookies that did not turn out well in Vol 2 and Vol 3 of RWBY.

I can go read the After the Fall thread that you made, but anything in particular that "exhausts you" ? (and thus lets move onto the things about RWBY that actually work?)
    Spoiler: After the Fall
    Show
    I'll be honest, It's kind of difficult to point to specific issues that I have with After the Fall. At least doing so succinctly. A lot of it is very subjective, like the humor. I've mentioned several times that After the Fall's jokes just don't land for me, they work for some people I assume. Overall, there's a general feeling that some of the characters, (Coco especially,) come off as unpleasant, but the text doesn't seem to acknowledge that these characters are flawed or should improve. The biggest issue I took is that there are a lot of flashbacks that don't really add anything to the overall story.

Uhh... if you do read through my Book Club thread, I apologize if I come off as needlessly sarcastic. But to give the book a fair shake, it does have some ideas in it that are pretty good and there's the bones of a decent story in there.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

So... anyone know why episode 8 hasn't come out yet?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, is the mid-season hiatus over already? I know that a trailer for the second half of the volume dropped not too long ago.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So... anyone know why episode 8 hasn't come out yet?
    February 6th, 2021

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    February 6th, 2021
    Thank you Rawhide.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

So RWBY returns in less than a week, and I was wondering do we want i) to have some non-spoiler discussion ii) or something else?

Perhaps a iii) group rewatch right before episode 8? Right now I can not do iii in the next 72 hours, but who knows what later in the week will bring. By my math there is roughly 130 minutes of the first 7 episodes so the first half of Vol 8 is more or less a 2 hour movie feature length. (And this is including songs and end credits which some of us skip)

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

New RWBY it is acceptable.

24. - Top - End - #174

Y'all know that things are dire when diehard fans are like "this was agreeable". I can't wait to experience it vicariously through the podcast I watch that talks about RWBY.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Y'all know that things are dire when diehard fans are like "this was agreeable". I can't wait to experience it vicariously through the podcast I watch that talks about RWBY.
    It was an episode where you can easily see the things it is borrowing from. It was an enjoyable experience.

One is not going to remember it long term though. It is no Ratatouille. But that is okay, things are allowed to be acceptable.

Will talk more if others join the conversation

26. - Top - End - #176

Spoiler: V8E8
    Show
    Holy truck!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

New episode, so 2nd episode of the 2nd half of the series for paying people and the 1st episode should be available if you have the "free account."

I say RWBY has finally decided what type of show it wants to be. It took 8 years to get there, and it is quite formulaic but by making the decision of what it wants to tell as a story it is a better story telling than the mix match of genres and stories it was telling earlier. I say we are pass the "dark ages" of seasons 4 to 6. (Of course you can argue what is the best and worse time of RWBY.)

I wish RWBY was better, but I am ecstatic that it is now more consistent.

28. - Top - End - #178

New episode, so 2nd episode of the 2nd half of the series for paying people and the 1st episode should be available if you have the "free account."

I say RWBY has finally decided what type of show it wants to be. It took 8 years to get there, and it is quite formulaic but by making the decision of what it wants to tell as a story it is a better story telling than the mix match of genres and stories it was telling earlier. I say we are pass the "dark ages" of seasons 4 to 6. (Of course you can argue what is the best and worse time of RWBY.)

I wish RWBY was better, but I am ecstatic that it is now more consistent.
    I have NO idea what any of this could mean, and it is magical how scary that is.

29. - Top - End - #179

Spoiler: V8C9
    Show
    Things are really heating up.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: V8Ç8
    Show
    There was someone inside that thing all along?
    Good thing I didn't watch this yesterday. I like sleeping.
    Not quite as bad as the Apathy, but it's up there in the "[bleep] NO!" department.
    Unless... How aware was that guy?

And Blake is right. The Grimm keep getting more disgusting.

Willow and Whitley were seriously badass though.
    I really didn't expect that huge summon from Willow.