New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: rwbyOS X: Even the Thread Gets a Costume Change!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    ...Right! I'm just going to... keep my thoughts... to myself... then...

*Exits the stage*
    Don't mind our impenetrable negativity or let it hold you back! This thread could use a little bit of a re-shuffle, tee bee haytch
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2021-04-30 at 05:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Don't mind our impenetrable negativity or let it hold you back! This thread could use a little bit of a re-shuffle, tee bee haytch
    Well... I'll think about it. I don't want anyone to direct any rage and anger at the season unintentionally at me from a different reception of the season.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, we all knew the result before it began.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Well... I'll think about it. I don't want anyone to direct any rage and anger at the season unintentionally at me from a different reception of the season.
    I'm more curious if you like what people are complaining about, or if you like the story despite those things. The latter more just points to the amount of tolerance you have for those things, or perhaps not really caring about certain characters. The former is much more interesting, but also much more likely to be argued about.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I did not like Season 7 or 8.
    I dunno really what more to say about them. I feel it is unfair how people treat Season 4 considering it was just after the loss of Monty and everything probably had to reorganize but i don't know if that is just me.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

6. - Top - End - #306
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    I did not like Season 7 or 8.
    I dunno really what more to say about them. I feel it is unfair how people treat Season 4 considering it was just after the loss of Monty and everything probably had to reorganize but i don't know if that is just me.
    According to Tvtropes, the show as scripted out to Volume 5 when Monty passed, so... Grain of salt, but his death might not have been as big a handicap as expected.

and honestly, with things like Penny coming back being like... Like, when Penny explains her deal she flat out says that the point of making a sapient combat robot with her own soul was so that they didn't have to risk human lives anymore. If she can't be rebuilt or replaced when she's destroyed then effectively all sending her out into the field is doing is rising a much more expensive human life.

With things like that, a good number of details are probably also set in advance.

...Honestly, I kind of wish that RWBY ended and we got more Camp Camp. That actually held my attention and there were still unresolved plot threads, but no, that one's apparently over.

...RWBY feels like Harry Potter, if Harry and Hermione got caught freeing Sirius Black at the end of Prisoner of Azkaban and had to go on the run with him and never got to go back to Hogwarts and 90% of the supporting cast never turned up again.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #307

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...RWBY feels like Harry Potter, if Harry and Hermione got caught freeing Sirius Black at the end of Prisoner of Azkaban and had to go on the run with him and never got to go back to Hogwarts and 90% of the supporting cast never turned up again.
    So, Deathly Hallows except better, because it doesn't follow a rushed formula that's no fun for like 89% of the story?

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

I just dropped in to see how this thread was doing after a long while away. Too much negativity attracts the Grimm!

Apparently an unpopular opinion, but I liked Volume 7 and 8, and most of Volume 6 before the final bit with Cordovin. I thought these last few volumes had a number of major improvements.

• Tighter Pacing. Having 8+ interwoven plot threads sounds neat until you realize that the episodes are less-than-anime-length, which means that very little happens when the scope of the show becomes too broad and tries to follow too many characters in too many locales. This was the big sin of V4 and 5.
    • Characterization: Ruby Rose was a passenger in her own story until V6, and in V7 and 8 Ren and Nora became their own characters instead of slightly less than one character when put together.
    • Villainous Characterization: We never see Raven or Lionheart as they were before they went bad. Some people complained about Ironwood's decline but we're meant to see him the way Ozpin saw Lionheart - we can remember the good even as we watch him go off the deep end instead of his contribution to the plot beginning with treason and ending with more treason.
    • Set Pieces - We are told that life is rough in Menagerie. We are shown that life is rough in Mantle.
    • The White Fang Subplot - This was always a clumsily written plot tumor and the show is much cleaner without it. Sweeping the racism allegory under the rug is not usually a good thing, but it wasn't exactly an effective exploration of the subject, so in this case less is more. The show has used some of the recovered screen time to put little hints of that actual anti-faunus discrimination into the backgrounds of conversations and shots, except in some cases where it still comes in awkwardly.
    • Lore - the show is finally answering about as many questions as it raises, including digging into some pretty old mysteries at the same time.
    • Character relationships - Playing Shake and Bake with the party formula in V8 was great, leading to oddball interactions that were never really covered until now, like Blake and Weiss chatting with Nora or Ren and Yang discussing Jaune.
    • Cinder - Someone finally called her out on being a one dimensional ego machine. Then she extended a massive middle finger to anyone thinking she was getting a redemption arc. We also got a backstory for her that explains why she is the way she is without really excusing her atrocities. All high points.

People are fond of saying "yes yes, individual elements are better but the show lost its way," and variations on that, but... some of those things above are basic storytelling mechanics, upgrades to the series at a fundamental level. Yes, the show got darker, though I suspect this is the nadir of the series for the heroes, especially given how many one-time-use-only advantages Cinder had to burn to pull off her upset win and the fact that Salem is now down two of her lieutenants. And yes, if you want the series to go back to Kawaii Hogwarts with Guns then you're basically SOL, but I'm enjoying the high adventure format.

That's all I had! Have fun!
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

According to Tvtropes, the show as scripted out to Volume 5 when Monty passed, so... Grain of salt, but his death might not have been as big a handicap as expected.

and honestly, with things like Penny coming back being like... Like, when Penny explains her deal she flat out says that the point of making a sapient combat robot with her own soul was so that they didn't have to risk human lives anymore. If she can't be rebuilt or replaced when she's destroyed then effectively all sending her out into the field is doing is rising a much more expensive human life.

With things like that, a good number of details are probably also set in advance.

...Honestly, I kind of wish that RWBY ended and we got more Camp Camp. That actually held my attention and there were still unresolved plot threads, but no, that one's apparently over.

I mean why not just make more Penny's that seems to be the point if you can only make 1 then she is a human life thus beating the purpose.
    Also I so so want more Camp Camp. I wanna know whats up with Max's parents among other things.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.

10. - Top - End - #310

I mean why not just make more Penny's that seems to be the point if you can only make 1 then she is a human life thus beating the purpose.
    Also I so so want more Camp Camp. I wanna know whats up with Max's parents among other things.
    There's also the fact that Jasper flat out says that he'll never be at peace until his remains are found and laid to rest.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Considering her father literally put his soul/life into making* her?
    They might've decided the project needs some work before going into mass-production.

Sure, it's kinda touching in Penny and Pietro's case but having your maintenance crew slowly kill themselves to keep your robot army going seems a tad impractical.

*And resurrecting.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Considering her father literally put his soul/life into making* her?
    They might've decided the project needs some work before going into mass-production.

Sure, it's kinda touching in Penny and Pietro's case but having your maintenance crew slowly kill themselves to keep your robot army going seems a tad impractical.

*And resurrecting.
    The the project is a failure by those standards and Wyatts was right.
    Speaking of which poor freaking Wyatts :( I loved his melodramatic self.
    And poor Ironwood.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tvtropes is not a viable/valid source for this and that feels like a weak excuse at best because then their should have been some ground work on the fight scenes which would have drastically improved the fight scenes of those 2 seasons.

I gotta admit that Harry Potter idea sounds oddly fun except for the supporting cast bit. standard magic academy story and then part way into book 3 the protagonist goes on the lamb.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314

And poor Ironwood.
    "Poor Ironwood" my rear end. The guy went out of his way to be as crappy a person as possible, by the end of it. He was a stubborn scumbag.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Barbarian in the Playground

So it's been a while.

I have managed to watch RWBY up until the end of season 8 in and amongst finishing university, getting a job and other irl things.

Honestly, the world of remnant COULD be really, really good. It just...... kinda isn't. A lot of the side characters are really interesting (I especially like Pietro in Atlas and several of the white fang leaders and characters, although I feel that arc was poorly done) and the animation has levelled up significantly. The costume changes alluded to in the thread title are good, Ironwood as a paranoid leader who epitomises the "ends justify the means" is well done.

But it feels like it lacks polish and direction. 90% of the character development is "Person X is sad, person Y comes and tells them it will be okay" and that makes it hard to really root for the main characters. You want them to succeed but not as much as the show hopes you do. I hate to say it, but I've really come to understand why most of the people I know who watch RWBY say "stick to the first 3 seasons".

There have definitely been some areas of improvement, and I will give them props for carrying on in what must have been exceptionally difficult circumstances, but there are a lot of things that still need work.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Arise, poor thread, if anyone wants to talk about it. Volume 9 has started after a huge delay due to covid, and nobody even bothered to tell me.

P.S. When RWBY is in season, the latest version of this thread can always be resurrected without asking for permission.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

So there are 10 episodes for this season, 7 of them are already out, and the season finale will be the 22nd?

Do I dare try again?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

18. - Top - End - #318

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So there are 10 episodes for this season, 7 of them are already out, and the season finale will be the 22nd?

Do I dare try again?
    Naw. After the news that's come out about Rooster Teeth's horrific abuse of their staff, I don't think it's worth the time to watch a bunch of half-baked "we're paying lip service at the absolute limit to the things we set up because we don't want to even begin approaching the reality that our heroes unquestionably did the wrong thing for two entire seasons".

They even made the bees kiss and it still feels kinda too little too late, you know?

(also Rawhide I did bring up the above mentioned girl kissing girls in the RB thread).