New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default [3.5] Barons of the Stonelands - IC

- BARONS OF THE STONELANDS - IC -

The fortified city of Arabel isn't visually striking. It's surrounded by dusty, aromatic paddocks and stockyards and consists of plain, forbidding walls that make the whole thing look as if it were a giant castle. The walls encircle a crowded array of small shops with rooms above them where folk live. These shops are pressed together along streets that are busy day and night and always seem to lead to rows of unlovely warehouses.

The only striking buildings cluster is near the middle of the north wall. Largest and grandest among them is the Citadel, abode of the Army of the East. The Citadel is visible all over the city. No matter how turned around you get, you can't lose your directions if you keep one eye one it. It's a stark working fortress rather than a fancy, slim-towered noble's castle. In front of it, by contrast, is an example of a fancy, slim-towered noble's castle. The elegant, sweeping turrets and conical roofs of the five-towered Arabellan Palace betray its showy design.

It is in this place, Arabellan Palace, where our participant met together, having previously received a letter of acceptance closed with Royal Seal. After much riding and traveling, participants were given accommodation in guest rooms, along with their apprentices.

Next morning they were summoned by herald Westar Sinhar to meet no other then Myrmeen Lhal, Lord of Arabel in her private quarters, in company of Dauneth Marliir, High Warden of the Eastern Marches. It was an exquisitely decorated, spacious room, with tapestries hanging from wall to wall depicting natural beauties of the Kingdom and decisive moments in the history of the realm. One by one, the names of the candidates were proclaimed by herald Westar as they were introduced into the chamber:

Aysche Caranos, Student of the Academy of Oak Sigil. Owner of Library of the Wandering Shore in Suzail and follower of Deneir, The First Scribe.

Umil Horn of the Stout Folk, Priestess of Moradin, the Soul Forger. Expert of the Forge - both of Armors and Weapons.

'Rooster' Geif of the Quick Folk, guardian of the wilderness and Druid of Sheela Peryroyl, The Watchful Mother. Professional farmer with experience in various products of his trade.

Brother Joru, initiate of the Broken God. Healer that brought many man back to life from brink of death and jaws of disease.

Johann Greuzner, Student of both arcane and divine. Architect, builder and owner of sucessful quarry.

„Well, well…now there's a heterogeneous bunch of candidates. Let's get this started and over with, so I can focus my attention to other matters and leave this trope to Dauneth.“ thought Myrmeen as she gazed upon the group. After thirty years, Myrmeen has grown tired of her position, and was slowly transitioning her life to Suzail due to family concerns. Although she still awaits the blessing of the Dragon Throne to retire from her position, Myrmeen has already begun moving her household to Suzail, and has vested more authority in her herald, Westar.

„First of all, greetings to all of you and congratulations on your selection to this endeavour. I hope you've found our city's hospitality up to your expectations. On my left here is Westar Sinhar, my herald and person who will gladly answer most of your questions regarding our customs, laws, trade or the like. On my right is Dauneth Marliir, our High Warden of the Eastern Marches who will give you breifing about the situation in these lands and will introduce you to recent activities in the area. By the power invested in me on behalf of our Steel Regent I grant you this Royal charter, which will grant you rights as written in the law of the land. Now you can tell us a little bit more about yourselves, and afterwards I will leave you with my herald and our Warden to prepare first steps of your journey."
    Last edited by Zergh; 2019-11-06 at 07:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Barons of the Stonelands - IC

Dauneth waited by the right side of the Lord Lhal, and cleared his throat when his time came to introduce himself to the party.

„Greetings again. With that introduction from our Lord, I'll move directly to the point. Here is the recent map of the local populations and dangers in the area. It is a bit outdated as most of the inhabitants are nomads and move about. Some parts of the area are not well covered, while another are based off what seems like exaggerated rumors."

Spoiler: Stonelands
    Show

"Nevertheless, it still gives plenty of the information, so will be of great help navigating those treacherous lands. Location of New Tilverton is marked with X spot. Probably the best course for voyage would be through Slingdyke to the north, past Castle Crag and then you can go to the Halfhap bit to the east to gather some more news and supplies or head directly for New Tilverton. Griffon Hill is further to the northwest, on the edge of the Stonelands area, you can reach it following the Stonebolt Trail."

He eyes the whole group with a serious look on his face, his gaze goes from one face to the other and then continues in more even tone:

"When you reach New Tilverton, contact Darugeon Hiwroe, former Purple Dragon Knight, now in retirement. He will give you the newest reports from the local intelligence agents, along with preferable, most urgent course of action. As far as reports go, there is trouble with local bandits in the area close to New Tilverton. They are very well organized, equipped and led by a charismatic leader who cuts (pun intended) any disobedience in it's roots, hence the nickname „Cutter“. These scum are probably linked with some other group, judging from the quality of their equipment and logistics of their attacks; which are top-notch as they usually don't miss well stocked caravans passing through the area."

"Furthermore, here is the close-up area around New Tilverton, where you can see the topography of the region, and can in future help you pick a spot for your Stronghold, if you get there."

Spoiler: New Tilverton surroundings
    Show

"More about that later, now let’s eat a bit, I think you haven’t managed to fill your stomachs yet? Any questions for me or herald Westar?"
    Last edited by Zergh; 2019-11-06 at 10:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The road to Arabel had been long and slow. Aysche didn't mind, though: the peaceful weather had given her time to think, and the gentle sway of the black and tan horse than carried her here helped focus her mind. Arabel was the farthest she had been from home, and it was only a stop on the way to a place further still. She was nervous. The Stonelands were said to be fraught with monsters, hazards, and civilized people looking to take advantage of nervous merchants. Aysche was practiced in all manner of magic for turning attackers into jelly, but that was all highly theoretical study. She had comparatively paltry experience when it came to 'slinging spells', as they say. A small part of her wondered if Tannis would have been a better candidate for actually moving to the Stonelands. His brashness might serve well when one expects to have to fight on any given day.

But no, no. Aysche adjusted her glasses to lie evenly on her freckled face and silently chided herself for the though. The two of them had already talked it out extensively. People in the Stonelands would need protection more than a champion, and for that Aysche was clearly the more preferable choice. Besides, a school and library ran thin profit margins even on the best of days. Mismanagement could spell disaster for their enterprise as easily as a goblin attack.

But it wasn't all worry that filled Aysche's mind as she rode into the walled city. She was excited as well. There is a purity to the enjoyment she gets from teaching, from seeing others blossom. And the further one goes from civilization, the less opportunity people have for learning about the world around them. Suzail was a nice city, but it was already swelling with knowledge for those that wanted to find it. Out in the Stonelands, where the world is whatever its inhabitants make it, knowing how to do something is a premium. Teaching the fundamentals of raising a house may come in handy the next day. The chemistry of properly preserving food will help New Tilverton get through the winter.

The night the two of them arrived, there was not much to say: plans were already made and anything that needed further discussion had already been taken care of on the road. And to be honest, they were both quite tired from days of travel.

The next morning, Aysche finds herself with her four new companions. After a moment seeing if one of the others will jump to introductions first, she clears her throat quietly and begins what is clearly at least partially prepared.

"Good morning everyone, it's a pleasure to meet you all. As Westar mentioned, I am Aysche. I'm a transmuter by teachings at Oak Sigil, and a teacher by trade. The wild edge of civilization can often be unforgiving to mistakes: my goal is to provide us, our children, and those that come after us to settle New Tilverton with the knowledge we need to survive, to become successful, and to conquer the harshness this endeavor suggests."
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Johann was perturbed. The fifth column of the north-facing transept had a fault where it connected to the arch. Unless they fixed it, the strain would cause the rest of the columns to decay in a few years (requiring a major effort to fix), or risk failure in about a decade. He'd noticed it when he was ushered into the hall and looked over the grand architecture. Now he was having a really hard time keeping his eyes from wandering to it while the great lady spoke.

He was pretty confident an outside observer wouldn't notice his distraction. He'd long ago mastered a strong stance and a neutral expression that gave the impression of professional, stoic attention. At least to the casual observer. Thanks to Cristina's... unsubtle... advice, he was dressed his best for the part, and he convinced himself that he gave the impression of a strong warrior scholar.

He snapped back into focus when Dauneth mentioned 'stronghold.' That is why he had applied - so many years supporting his studies by selling stone, now he could apply it to build a great keep that would help bring peace to the North. He heard the pitch, processed it, and spoke after the librarian.

"M'lady, your city is bustling and prosperous. I've enjoyed it's hospitality, and I hope that the settlement we build will eventually grow to rival it. I'm Johann. I build things out of stone and magic. I look forward to working with Warden Dauneth to nail down the details and get started."
    Last edited by robnar; 2019-11-08 at 12:45 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    Rooster worried. Not about anything in particular. More as a matter of principle. A hobby, almost. When a reasonable cross-section of the universe was interested in eating you or enslaving you, and especially when you were half the size of the apex predators, worrying became second nature.

He worried that Mattie was being given grief by the merchants of Arabel. That Dusty would be neglected by the Bigs who Rooster had entrusted her to. Or that Dusty would get bored and eat something she shouldn't. Like one of the Bigs. Or that Ned would fall off the wagon again, and they'd lose a day of work tracking him down and getting him out of whatever trouble he'd find.

His stomach hurt.

Maybe some cheese would help.

The smallest member of the company slipped off of the dwarf-sized chair that had been thoughtfully provided. It was almost the right size for him. A paunchy man, now well past his prime, the halfling moved with care and deliberation. His left eye is covered by a simple black patch, and his grey hair was in full retreat from his lined face. The halfling man's only bit of ostentation was in a wide leather belt, worked with many intricate lines and whorls and with a broad silver buckle.

Rooster gestured toward the open window, with a small but well-callused hand.

"Ayup. It's fine we got such experts in building an teaching an such. Reckon I'll make do with bringing the food for us. From what I saw, there's good soil, decent rain up round Tilverton. Uh. Ex Tilverton. New Tilverton. Up there. Anyway. High time to be getting to planting. Once we take care of this damfool. Sorry, this uh Cutter."

Rooster shook his head and opted not to spit on the floor.

"Bandits. Put so much work into not workin. Can't figure it."

This seemed to be everything that Rooster could think to add at this time. It was difficult to tell whether the creaking sound as Rooster took his seat again came from the farmer or his leather clothing.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Brother Joru

Brother Joru listened to each speak in turn, and then rose slowly, if not painfully from his seat to address them. He was a tall man, though he looked a bit shorter as his posture was stooped. Numerous scars past wounds peaked out from his simple robes, the most prominent was a missing eye. He exuded a quiet dignity and greeted each in turn with an honest smile.

"Greetings, I am Joru, a simple servant of the Broken One. This, is my humble assistant, Nurse Chapwell. The Broken One teaches that the most rewarding things in life are won only through great trials and ardor. Our journey through this land will no doubt provide great trials and tribulations, but with faith and will, we shall bring peace to this land and ease the suffering of those that live upon it."
    Last edited by Ancient; 2019-11-09 at 01:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Last to speak among the new companions is a tall-for-a-dwarf dwarf. A woman, to judge from her bare chin, though her cheeks have tried to make up for that. She's in armor that runs from mid-neck to her toes, a complex arrangement that includes some gears, black with a violet sheen and clearly very well-made. Despite the fact that it must be more encumbering than even full plate is, she seems perfectly comfortable.

"I'm Umil Horn, crafter of very fine arms and armor, with thanks to the greatest crafter of all, Moradin. No offense intended to any followers of Gond." She winks and smiles. "My brother Hager and I hail from the west and have been in this area of Cormyr for several months. Hager will be staying behind to manage operations while I'm off gallivanting around, enjoying myself." She certainly seems to have a sense of humor ...

Umil gives Dauneth's map a thorough look. "Hm. Can someone remind me what dinosaurs are? No other questions for me at this time, sir."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hmm. Halflings and dinosaurs. Maybe we can put a little Eberron into our Forgotten Realms.

I'm guessing, after years of wandering down from Anaurauch, that Rooster & Co would know a bit about dinosaurs.

Knowledge Nature: (1d20+7)[12]

Rooster rumbles unhappily at the dwarf's question. Again, he restrains himself from spitting on the floor.

"Dinosaurs? Well, picture a frog. Then picture it the size of a house, add teeth bigger than me, and wait for it to chase you through yer nightmares."

Grunting, Rooster hoisted himsefl to his feet again to get a better look at the map.

"Maybe we take our chances with the goblins."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2019-11-11 at 12:54 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As the group members presented themselves, trio of hosts in the room seemed satisfied with selected team. There was a knock on the the door further down the hall on the west side of the chamber. Just as Myrmeen pronounced “enter”, the door opened to reveal a figure dressed in purple-black robe who came into the room with a very slow pace.

“Ah, you managed to come. I present you Filan of Tantras and Tilverton, member of The Brotherhood of Wizards of War, and my utmost loyal intel agent.”

Robed figure moved with some kind of aristocratic grace as it crossed the chamber. Beneath the hood was a face of the very old man (for human standards), probably seen more the ninety winters. He bowed a bit before Myrmeen, then turned towards the group and spoke directly with rusty, hard voice.

“Also an expert on Moonsea history and the politics of the Dragon Reach, lived in Tilverton until city’s destruction. Now attending meetings of the council as a means to find new clients for my knowledge and expertise, and to learn of new mages who have recently arrived.” he finished his sentence while his blue eyes were set on Aysche and Johann.

He continued more formaly: “Former candidates. Now, you are agents of the Crown. You were screened by me and my contacts in various guilds for your expertise. Other candidates were really good. So good, in fact, it seems like further actions of the Crown indicate to make this kind of effort for other restless areas of the Kingdom. There was, however, something that made you stand out. The interaction between your businesses should really boost New Tilverton’s future development and security. Combined, you have expertise in food, health, mining, crafting, teaching and building. All the things needed for excellent foundation of upstart community.”

As he said those words, he didn’t wait for any answer, nor any sign from the host. He just passed the group and made himself comfortable in nearest sofa and sat right there.

“Thank you for all the work that you’ve put into selecting those before us.” Myrmeen eyed old man with some kind of gloomy acceptance in her eyes, then returned her focus to the group. She turned to face dwarven female directly and continued “Now, good dwarf, dinosaurs are animals who have grown accustomed to the area behind the mountains. Very territorial and determined to defend their turf. Usually hunt in packs, although that can depend on the species.

Anyway, you are to depart following morning, at dawn. As Morninglord saying goes “In the dawn, beauty reigns, and the way is clearer.“ Be my guest in the palace until then, and make final preparations that you need.”

Upon hearing remarks from Rooster, Dauneth raised his eyebrows a bit, and spoke in a dead serious tone:

“Dear halfling, I would advise not to underestimate their leader. He is no damfool as you’ve called him.

He is displaying uncharacteristically high intellect, for an Orc. Yes, you’ve heard that right. Some say he is no usual orc even. Most troubling of all, his band is a mixture of different races, thus enabling him to deploy different tactics and pressure. Ambush, they’ve done it. Straight out frontal assault – done that too, with gruesome results. Protection with and to spells? Add that into a mix. He’s commanding some forty individuals, judging from the reports. How he has managed to hold this mob together and prevented them from slithering each other throats is still a mystery, even by employing his nickname methods...”
    Last edited by Zergh; 2019-11-11 at 07:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rooster shifted slightly in his chair as he listened, and accepted Daneuth's gentle reproof with a nod.

"Right. Anything else you kin tell us bout this Cutter's group? When you first heard of them? How you know his name, an that he's an orc? What you've already tried to do ta stop him. Be nice not to repeat a mistake, reckon."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Aysche's brow furrows in concern, hearing the Orc's 'mob'.

"That is... troubling. Society's main advantage against those savage tribes is that they're as keen on attacking each other as they are on attacking us. One that's capable of forming a band and keeping it together creates a force to be reckoned with. Our increased activity in New Tilverton will not go unnoticed: it might be best to deal with this orc before he amasses too much power and sets his sight on our town. High Warden, do you know if this leader can be reasoned or treated with?"

Aysche spends a moment in thought. "Dinosaur literally translates to 'fearfully-great lizard'. It may not be technically a lizard, but the creatures have scales and claws such that the comparison is decently accurate. It's true that some can grow to incredibly sizes - hence 'fearfully-great' - but they are still animals and have no more morals or intelligence than a bird. Most are smaller than a person, and many are herbivorous and will only attack when threatened. They can be herded like any animal. Although it would be more akin to herding a lion than a horse.

Come to think of it, I wonder if that Orc leader is aware of the dinosaur's nature. With how generally disposable many subjugating monsters find goblins to be, he might consider trying to use them to tame the beasts."
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

SamuraiGuy

Johann was surprised to note the spymaster - Filas - into the room. It appeared the Lord wanted to participate in the planning as well. Johann interjected in a deep but somewhat shaky voice. Looking at him, you could see the gray craggly scars on face and body where a spell had warped his skin. Sometimes it made it difficult to talk.

Before we speculate too much about these monsters listed on an old map, let's get the most current information. What are the primary threats people are reporting between Castle Crag and New Tilverton? What challenges are Halfhap and Griffon Hill reporting, aside from Cutter's bandits? How often do you hear from your subjects in the Stonelands, and how do they communicate with you?"

Johann was concerned by the reports about Cutter's band, and didn't want to get distracted by some other monster if the people on the ground already weren't concerned with it.

"How is Hirowe in New Tilverton holding out against the bandits? Is Cutter merely harassing the settlement and travelers, or do you think he wants to destroy the settlement? And what's going to be our relationship with Hirowe when we arrive? Does he work for us, we for him, or does he have a separate mission?

"Finally, how often do you want us to report our situation once we get there? I can send a message daily, but at the cost of some of my utility spells."

Johann gasped a little bit. Talking that much was a struggle, but he wanted to get some details cleared up. He nodded an apology to the librarian for interjecting before her question was answered.
    Last edited by robnar; 2019-11-11 at 02:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

After a shallow, clanking bow to Filan, Umil stands without speaking, her eyes moving from face to face while others converse. As Johann had expressed, she expects that only up-to-date information will be of much use in such a chaotic land -- but she also expects to get most of that knowledge on the way or upon arrival in New Tilverton. It's not a bad idea to ask now, but the answers should be considered incomplete.

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rooster looked around at the other four recruits and grunted with less-unhappiness. They asked smart questions. Spoke well of their desire to see their way through this, and to keep him alive too.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

„I see that you have come to technicalities about your journey, so I will leave you in good hands of my closest three associates, and bid you farewell. May Our Smiling Lady have a place for you in her heart and see that you complete your ordeal successfully.“ said Myrmeen Lhal while she was preparing for leaving a room. Graciously, she turned and started toward the door from where Filan appeared.

As the Lord was gone, Warden of the Eastern Marches took the stage and begun to answer questions in his best effort. He begun with Rooster and later moved his attention to Aysche.

„The first appearance of the gang is not known, but from what we can discern they are operating for about half a year. We don't usually check every raid victim or scorched caravan far away from Gnoll Pass, but as intensity of the attacks, and more importantly their efficiency increased, we took notice.“

Filan interrupted: „By taking notice he means investigating those attacks. In ordinary way with our rangers and scouts but also by magical means. Which included some speaking with the dead victims (those not eviscerated enough), from whom we learned about his race, little bit about gang composition and finally nickname.“

You could hear little sigh as Dauneth was interuppted. Despite this nuisance he continued as nothing has happened.

„Usually bands don't last this long due to encountering meaner or more populous gang, in-gang fighting or death from the claws of the monsters. Or by our patrols, as bandits grow more reckless as the time goes by. This one isn't the usual case. They haven't attacked any settlements yet, and are mostly focused on caravans, pilgrims and lesser targets like ordinary travelers. Seems like leader doesn't want to take on any risk that could provoke heavier casualties. As for reasoning with him, I think that is out of the question. Well equipped, organized mob like this isn't working alone, so reasoning with this monster won't get us any better.

Your knowledge about dinos is decent Aysche, I'll give you that. Dinosaurs are known to exist in Chult mostly, but some herds were also recorded in various lands across Faerun. Reports from my scouts more often include small herbivorous population in the area, and not so many predatory herds.“

„Children of Ubtao. Hopefully your nature's spellbeggar will be enough to cope with this serious threat.“ said Filan in a slow tone, his disdain for (in his worldview) primitive druidic practices dripping from his words. „And no Aysche. Cutter isn't taming dinos, but that hasn't stopped him from sending dogs and worgs to feast on human meat.“ finished Filan from his sofa, while not even lifting his head to notice the group.

Dauneth wasn't all too happy about Filan remarks and was already growing bit tense with his presence. Nevertheless, he recognized fully of how much importance this man is for the Lord of Arabel and the Realm itself. He didn't want to press the issue any further, hoping that the druid won't take insult too hard and escalate things further. So he immediately faced Johann to answer his stream of questions.

„Diligent and curious soul, are we?

Spoiler: Castle Crag - Info
    Show
    "Well, Bren Tallsword is commanding the garrison at Castle Crag, comprising about 500 Purple Dragons and a detachment of War Wizards. Tallsword is a rigid and strict disciplinarian and is answering to the Warden of the Eastern Marches, or yours truly. He gives no welcome to adventurers, and is sending them away as soon as he can. He even had taverns and hostels near the castle demolished to prevent distractions to the soldiers, but soldiers and adventurers regularly rebuilt them. Lately he reports increase in gnoll raids, but nothing out of ordinary.“

Spoiler: Griffon Hill - Info
    Show
    „As for Griffon hill, this eminence is a rocky height adorned with little more than an inn that has been burned down repeatedly by raiders and a few fortified cottages inhabited by hardy shepherd folk. The cottages have good wells, and there's rumored to be a cavern in the heart of the hill that the villagers can all retreat into if necessary, so folk stay despite the danger. Legend whispers that the cavern goes down into the Underdark and that the villagers know how to retreat there if in dire straits.

Three priests of Chauntea dwell at Griffon Hill, and they're the only healers of consequence for miles around. One of the Chaunteans is also powerful enough to defend the settlement from minor threats by conjuring earth elementals. To bring in extra cash, these priests sell holy water and, on occasion heal for hire. They order needed goods from Arabel by means of several loyal messengers.“

Dauneth went for a glass of water to wet his throat a bit, and Westar started to talk after his departure to the nearest table.

„As for communication with our subjects, we rely on messenger birds in case of usual, Ride report (every ten days). We call these RR's. In case of emergency, riders, magical animal messengers, alarms, pyres, and other methods are implemented. This will be the case for you, also, to report every ten days, in case of peaceful period. If something important happens, you should report as soon as you can, via any means available. If your apprentices back here can be of any use, consider them also.“

„Like using common sending spell for example…“ echoed Filan slowly on the sofa, rubbing his grey eyebrows while puffing his pipe that, curiously, didn't emit any odor.

Westar continued unhampered.

Spoiler: Halfhap - Info
    Show
    „Halfhap was located on the edge of Cormyr until the annexation of Tilverton. As of Tilverton destruction, it is the most forward settlement that projects Cormyr power. This walled town has again grown in importance as The Forrest Kingdom intends to reclaim northeastern lands. It is a bleak place that exists to supply prospectors, traveling merchants, and outlying ranchers operating in region surrounding the upper Immerflow and the Stonelands.

Halfhap is protected by keeps at either end of its oval, giant-potato-shaped-ring of walls, wherein our Purple Dragons dwell in strength. Keeps sport numerous ballistae that are backed by a huge subterranean armory of ballistae ammunition reached by a winched lift. Over a thousand of Halfhap's roughly 2,200 folk are soldiers. Monsters and Zhent-sponsored forces out of the Stonelands have attacked this area often. They still do so, especially each spring, when orcs who've grown restless and short of food over the winter boil down from the heart of the Desertsmouth Mountains and raid across northern Cormyr.

Dauneth returned, waited for Westar to finish then spoke again.

„As for New Tilverton, it's a home for about fifty individuals. From time to time lonely monster(s) harass local populace, in search for food mostly, but are quickly disposed or turned away by local militia. I think Cutter isn't too much concerned by it, nor is his primary objective as so far he hasn't showed up yet. Tho your arrival could change that...As was already mentioned Hirowe is retired, but still more than capable of swinging his sword. You will work together and report your findings to him. He was already instructed to give you any leads, information about local happenings, suspicious and shady business and individuals and is awaiting your arrival.”
    Last edited by Zergh; 2019-11-12 at 07:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

If Rooster much cared one way or the other what Filan called him, it didn't register. He did seem a lot more interested in to the reports on the nearby settlements, and seemed relieved at the news that a permanent settlement already existed in the ruins of Tilverton. Better than when the Gief had passed through, then. And nearly half a thousand Purple Dragons at Castle Crag - that would be invaluable. If they weren't too busy dealing with their own problems.

Still, a preoccupied friend was better than an enemy. And they already had enough of those to spare.

Grimacing, the halfling rose and took a step toward the door.

"Reckon these high folk got business enough for their day without spendin' it all with the lot of us. Less you four got more questions, maybe we can step out into the courtyard, get some sun, an talk some more about the trip ahead? Time enough for grub with the nobles after."

The little halfling, struck by a thought, hesitated.

"Uh. None a you are allergic to cats, are ya?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2019-11-14 at 03:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

SamuraiGuy

Johann was satisfied by the trio's answers, though he still wasn't sure how to read Dauneth, Westar, or Filan. Dauneth and Westar seemed devoted to their Lord's orders and forthright - at least he knew how to trust good staff. He wasn't sure where to place Filan.

I'm eager for a meal as well. One more question for the way - is there anything we can bring with us down to New Tilverton?

And with that, he stands next to the halfling and dwarf.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Aysche nods, satisfied for now. Actually the concept of living so close to a would-be warlord was deeply troubling for the mage, but that was not an issue that could be solved today. Instead, she let the others speak, ready for the meal as well.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Joru nods his agreement as well.

"Indeed, let's adjourn and discuss the trials ahead. The sooner we can settle these matters, the more we can lessen the suffering of the people. And besides, I'm starving."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    The little halfling, struck by a thought, hesitated.

"Uh. None a you are allergic to cats, are ya?"
    Umil looks surprised by the question. "Not that I know of, though I may claim otherwise if we encounter a manticore or chimaera. My home prefers dogs over cats for pest control. Is that a common problem here?"

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rooster shrugs.

"The pests my cat controls are mostly coyotes. And orcs. But I'd have hated for her to make any a you sick."

As the quintet pause on their way to whatever meal is planned for them, Rooster explains his request.

"If we're off first thing tomorrow, I wanted a chance ta see what supplies we might need, what special stuff any a you might want ta have on hand.

"I'm not a natural tracker, but I can do it in a pinch. If your magics can get us close to where Cutter's band has been, reckon I can get us the rest of the way. Whatya say?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

„I see that all of you are eager to finish this meeting soon, and I won't stand in your way. The fact that you haven't eaten yet may have something to do with it. So let's correct that and break suffering of our dear Brother who, in his own words, is starving at this very moment. Hopefully, your God will acknowledge your anguish.“ said Westar as he offered a comforting smile toward Joru. Westar started toward the door to the east, on the opposite side from where Filan entered.

Dauneth felt need to say something more so he did just that. „You are not wasting our time in any way. In fact, it is part of my job, and my duty, to disseminate any information that could be of use to you and your effort. I will only add that area up until Halfhap is mostly secure, there are regular patrols on the roads around Castle Crag and Slingdyke.

Caravans that bring supplies to settlements on the frontier don't operate on a regular basis. That would make them too prone to attack. Instead, when a shipment is required, deal is made via messengers and supplies are arranged by company in charge. The company takes care of protection and charge fees for goods and services asked. There are no routes between Castle Crag and frontier settlements as Halfhap is closer and better suited for that activity.

Stonelands and our frontier is, primarily, in crosshairs of Zhentarim and Shades. We consider them at odds judging from recent reports in Anauroch, as Shades have begun to take over caravan routes that were, up until recently, under Zhentarim control. This is a boon to us and also to the Dalelands as it has taken Zhents focus away from us, Dalelands and Moonsea area a bit. Now, onward to that food.“ finished Dauneth as he began to follow Westar in his steps.

Filan sat in his chair while the group was leaving the chamber and escorted their departure with kind words of „Onwards brave heroes, onwards! Ample food and dinosaurs are awaiting for you to conquer!“ He waved his hand and murmured something under his breath.

The group entered the huge rectangular room, with large table for 20 persons and two servants awaiting for food orders.
    „Me and Westar already had our meal and will now go on to our usual duties. You can enjoy your stay here, finish your meal and prepare for your journey. If you have any more questions to ask, feel free to contact us through this day. Dauneth turned towards Johann and ended with „It is no problem to us if you want to bring something special to New Tilverton. Just arrange that before your departure in the morning.“

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm. A three-way war. Not really more or less favorable for Cormyr's goals, but perhaps we can arrange for our enemies to spend their efforts on each other. I've been in a similar situation, with ogres and frost giants -- though frankly, both seemed easier to manipulate than I'd expect the Zhentarim and shades to be." Umil of today doesn't seem very concerned with the problems to be faced by Umil of tomorrow.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #24

SamuraiGuy

Johann clarifies to Dauneth "I was more concerned if they need us to bring anything special, aside from ourselves."

After waiting for a reply, Johann acknowledges Umil - "Grand strategy and big politics makes me hungry. Let's talk about it over lunch!"

He then nods to leave for the dining area...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rooster simply nods and trudges slowly after the others towards the meal.

"Hey, uh, Dauneth, was it? Don't suppose anyone's given a description of this Cutter. Ya know, what he looks like? Might make it easier to gather information. And ta pick him out amongst his crew."

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

Brother Joru

"It would seem then, our immediate threat is the orcish bandits, and our long term enemy, the Zhentarim, and not inconsiderably secondarily the Shades. All will need to be quelled to increase stability in the area, regular trade should be encouraged and will naturally flourish as stability increases."
    Last edited by Ancient; 2019-11-20 at 01:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dauneth replies immediately to Rooster's question „We do not have any useful description regarding Cutter's appearance, just vague terms like „bigger then yer usual Orc“ and „strange color of his eyes…As for bringing something worthwhile with you, I guess usual food supplies couldn't hurt. I would advise to contact caravan master in Halfshap to see which shipments were sent lately and which are probably necessary“. Danueth excuses himself and with a slight wave of his hand leaves the room.

Afterwards Westar orders servants to start delivering food to the table and asks group members to make themselves „at home“. Party members took their seats and for about an hour dishes were served as each one ordered his preferred meal. The quality of the food was superb, with spices ranging from the Sword Coast to the Unapproachable East.

Westar interrupted the feast with only slight remarks about Filan. „Don't take Filan's comments too hard. The old man started to decline in his mental and physical health rapidly during last year, but his loyalty and usefulness in the Kingdom is unquestionable. Seems like an old age is finally getting up to him.

He doesn't approve this endeavour either as it „reeks of desperation“ in his mind. He has serious issues with choosing the halfling and dwarf as it will signal weakness to opponents, especially among the nobles. „Savage Druid from wild halflings? Is that the best we can attract? And what about the Dwarf? Will he bring others and make themselves enclave in-between our society? Who will inherit those lands?“ and many other questions are on his mind. Nevertheless, he was among those who voted for you and decided to follow along.“

As the banquet was nearing its closure, Westar waited a bit for the group to decide where do they want to go next, and if they needs anything arranged for tomorrow's departure.
    Last edited by Zergh; 2019-11-25 at 07:10 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Umil keeps herself from snorting in disgust at the phrase "reeks of desperation". Really? Letting acclaimed heroes charge enthusiastically at a problem "reeks of desperation"? she thinks. Well, Filan did approve us in the end ... maybe he was just cranky from pain. Humans do get old so fast. There's no need to make a complaint about him.

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #29

SamuraiGuy

Johann enjoys the table's incredible fare - roadside inn fare leaves much to be desired, and all of the food at the quarry is seasoned with some sort of stone dust or another. He eats enough that Cristina moves from delicately scolding him to simply taking his plate away and informing him that he's done.

During the conversation, Johann is mostly silent. He ticks through his list of questions in his mind, and tries to figure out the gaps in information. He's pretty satisfied that he understands the situation, and he's pretty satisfied with his colleagues. Right now, more the concern is how to make an entrance into New Tilverton.

As the conversation dies down, Johann interjects. "I'm more worried right now about the task at hand than the Zhents or Shades. I think our best course of action is to travel to Castle Crag and talk to the castellan, then move on to Halfhap, get the lay of the land and more recent information, and then move on to New Tilverton. How we do so depends on how we want to get after Cutter."

There's two basic ways we can find them. The best way is to get to New Tilverton and seek them out. The other way is to have them find us, and then pursue them. Both ways have some risk, and even if we prefer one over the other we need to be prepared for both. Any thoughts?"

Cristina, while you're back here, can you try to dig up some info on what the Zhentarim and Shades are doing in the Stonelands?"

Cristina nods. They both know that task is risky - both parties have agents.
    Last edited by robnar; 2019-11-26 at 02:46 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rooster tucked into the meal quietly and methodically, savouring the unfamiliar spices but not accepting seconds. When an opportunity presented itself, he beckoned one of the waiters to speak softly.

"Family is camped just outside a town, an fancy fare like this would be a right treat for em. Any chance you could pack me up some a the leftovers ta take there after-like?"

He listened to the flow of conversation intently, but adding little more than grunts. Again, if he was in any way offended by the talk of wild halflings and savagery, it doesn't show. He nods thoughtfully at the detail of Cutter's weird-coloured eyes, but makes no comment.

He considered Johan's scenarios and cleared his throat with a wheeze.

"Yup. If we can't learn enough about where this Cutter is holed up, reckon you lot have the brains ta doll us up to make us look a plum. Maybe hire a wagon an team ta travel in, make us look like we got somethin maybe they want?"