Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Results 241 to 266 of 266
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    JigaWatt
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
    • Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior.
      On a 7-9, name one NPC present.
      On a 10+, name two NPCs present.
      The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice.
      On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to?
      - What or who do they most care about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
      On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.
    • Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.


    It’s easy to feed on the energy of the crowd and give back in return…in his case, literally. JigaWatt begins to, ah, amp up his displays, no pun intended. He’s in his element; mimicking a Van der Graaf generator and setting a trio of girls’ hair–and outfits–charged and standing up on end, much to the delight of the crowd about him. Tiny red flickers of electricity—sprite lighting—dance over his fingertips, and he even ignites a couple of high-proof drinks into guttering blue flames with focused sparks.

    Finally, at the urging of his fans, he rides his board a couple of feet further off the floor and summons a swirling mass of ball lightning, spinning above his head and loosing a wavering tendril of power every second or two until he lets it dissipate in a wash of crackling discharges that scurry and scamper over every nearby metallic object on its way to grounding out in the floor.

    Flush with praise, it’s only at this point that he realizes that perhaps he’s going a bit too far in drawing attention down upon himself in such a public venue, filled with potentially touchy personalities….




    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Time for the Show: 6
    Display catches someone watching in the wrong way.

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Errant White
    Conditions:
    Potential: 5/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: -1
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.
    • [X]The legacy matters: When you take Influence over someone from your legacy (or give them Influence over you), mark potential and take +1 forward. When someone from your legacy causes your Labels to shift, mark potential and take +1 forward.
    • [X] Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.


    The Days Between - Castle Grail

    Under Bartimaeus's expectant gaze, Aiden's shoulders slump. "...no. The news knows as much as we did and more. I had no idea New Dawn was so widespread. Before this, all of our leads were coming through Corax. JigaWatt received our last tip through his fan network."

    Taking a deep sigh, straightens back up. "I'm sure Corax knows more than she's letting on. I'll try to get as much out of her as I can at the meeting. I won't let her keep using us and keeping us in the dark."


    Now - The Ossuary

    Aiden glances over where Anika points to her un-fun teammates. No kidding! They look like they should be keeping Fox company.

    "Who, me? I don't shine nearly as much as that guy," he says, jerking his thumb in the direction of JigaWatt's light show. "We got an invitation from Corax, working on this New Dawn thing. Hey, maybe you can help! Do your powers give you any kind of special knowledge about stuff like that?"

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    May 2020

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Void
    Conditions: Hopeless
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: +1
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: 0
    • Mundane: +1


    Alex takes a moment to calm down. Knowing the Ossuary was a living club that could bend space at it's will was....intense. At least it's leaving him alone. For now.

    At least he was around someone familiar. Even if Fox was standoffish and...unkind. Kirin....being the student of a major villain certainly set Alex on edge. The comment made him a little nervous, considering the man, but he let it go, not wanting any confrontation. He nods a slight greeting to Fox, an even slighter one to Kirin, and stands there, not sure what to do.

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ???
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Halcyon City, The Ossuary. Friday Night, 4th of October, 2019.

    Fox and Void, the dragon mage sighs and shakes his head. "When Corax told me she was shaping an apprentice, I'd really hoped he would be someone with a bit of... what's the word... humor? Vitality? But it figures she would go for the sharp and silent type."

    The villain shrugs. "S'fine. You don't want to play ball, we don't have to. We'll skip to the part where I tempt you with power beyond your wildest dreams and go straight to the waiting-in-an-office part. Follow along."

    Kirin turns and takes a few steps into the club, but as he does perspective shifts once more and all three of you are standing in front of a disc of faintly-pulsing teal-blue energy. He steps onto the disc and beckons for you to join.

    JigaWatt, it takes barely any time for you to become the star attraction. The young heroes and villains are mesmerized by your performance, drawn in by light and sound and spectacle, but even the old guard turn your way with that last lightning trick.

    Not all of them in a good way. A stray crackle of electricity brushes against Lord Eradicus, the steel-plated sorcerer famous for plundering the vaults of the fae and escaping on a technicality. Unlike most villains who amass a quick and brutal reputation, he retired early to avoid the League and has been living it up ever since.

    That is, until you nearly zapped him. The sorcerer waves away the approaching electricity and redirects it harmlessly into the floor next to him, but you see a scowl touch his face. He clicks his tongue and turns to the villain next to him, Opal Sidhe, murmuring something to her too quiet to catch.

    Before you have much time to process that, one of the ghostly attendants of the Ossuary slips through the crowd and stands next to you. Quietly, he says, "The Binder has requested your presence, esteemed guest. Shall I lead you to him?"

    The attendant gestures in a direction, and your gaze settles on three figures: Fox, Void, and the dragon mage of the Ossuary.

    Errant, the bard briefly gives an amused glance at the spectacle JigaWatt is producing, but then her eyes widen when she hears why you're here. "Corax? That Corax? Wow. You guys must be a big deal. I've never met anyone who was handpicked by one of the apprentices, let alone the Crow Witch herself."

    She toys with her braid, whistling at what you've told her. "That's more than my group really knows about. New Dawn... those crazies on the news, right? They seem..." she hesitates, searching for the word before finding, "...too new. My pool of knowledge is old stuff, stuff engraved in story. Whatever's going on with those meta-makers, they're unprecedented."

    Before either of you can continue the conversation, you are approached by one of the ghostly attendants of the Ossuary. Leaning in, she murmurs, "The Binder has requested your presence, esteemed guest. Shall I lead you to him?"

    The attendant gestures in a direction, and your gaze settles on three figures: Fox, Void, and the dragon mage of the Ossuary.

    The Days Between

    Bartimaeus and Grey both nod at your last proclamation. "Good lad," says the Knight. "No child of foul sorcery will darken Albion's ideals. Get what you need and keep your guard up." Errant Grey smiles, and there's a certain scorn to it. "Witches always get their due, in the end. After all this is over, maybe you'll be the Knight that takes her down."

    Bartimaeus waves a hand. "That is talk for later. For now, focus on the mission. Find out what New Dawn is after, their true goal. When you do, the Knights will be waiting. The eyes of Albion are upon you, Errant White."
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Fox
    Conditions:

    Potential: 3/5

    Not a well kept secret then, his apprenticeship with Corax. Not something he was thrilled about, especially if the rest of the team were to learn of his agreement. It would only cast more, unfounded, suspicion his way. "That is best. We are not tempted easily, power or no. Not with those that consort with dragons at any rate." His tone was brusque even with the display of magic. The Black Knights also remembered the fires that forged their people. It may have been long into the distant past, on a land they could rarely return to, but the Knights had stood for Albion's interests even after the rest of them joined them in the wider world. They had served their brothers and sisters until those same people had turned against them. Until they were purged. A second fire, more painful than the first, but one they would survive as well. He gave only the briefest of nods to the others. It was time well enough that they got this show on the road.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    JigaWatt
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
    • Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior.
      On a 7-9, name one NPC present.
      On a 10+, name two NPCs present.
      The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice.
      On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to?
      - What or who do they most care about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
      On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.
    • Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.


    JigaWatt’s pulse pounds in his throat as he sees just whose attention he’s garnered with an inadvertent near-miss; and not in a positive manner, either.

    "Well, if we must, we must," he agrees hurriedly, trying to make it appear as off-hand as possible. "Sorry, fam; duty calls." He follows his guide, very very specifically not looking back. Hopefully the incident will be forgotten if he’s out of sight for a while.

    Right?

    Joining the others, he hopes the party will be moving along sooner rather than later. "S’up?" he asks of the guy hanging with Fox and Void. This would be the...Binder?

    What, the guy holds a lot of notes or something?

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    May 2020

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Void
    Conditions: Hopeless
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: +1
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: 0
    • Mundane: +1


    If Fox didn't say something about refusing the offer, Alex would've. He wanted no part in any more deals or offers after he took one from his father. He'd rather not end up in that kind of situation ever again. But because Fox did say that, he nods along, chiming in with "I'd rather just get this over with." He gets on the disk, trying to be as inconspicuous as possible so that he won't be recognized.

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Errant White
    Conditions:
    Potential: 5/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: -1
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.
    • [X]The legacy matters: When you take Influence over someone from your legacy (or give them Influence over you), mark potential and take +1 forward. When someone from your legacy causes your Labels to shift, mark potential and take +1 forward.
    • [X] Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.


    Now - The Ossuary

    Disappointed by the interruption, Aiden audibly sighs. "That's me, I guess," he says by way of apology. "It was a pleasure meeting you, miss. Let's...continue this on Veil?"

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ???
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Halcyon City, The Ossuary. Friday Night, 4th of October, 2019.

    Errant, the bard girl shoots you a final grin as you leave and says, "I'll shoot a message. I'm sure you won't be too hard to find."

    Errant and JigaWatt are led to the disc by attendants that vanish as soon as they arrive, and all four of you are now on the disc alongside the orange-eyed magus.

    The magus introduces himself as Kirin just as the disc starts to rise through the air, gliding upward. Kirin leans against an invisible wall along the disc's edge and looks you all over. "Well, here you are. Four budding heroes on their way to meet a wicked witch. As amusing as that'll be to watch, it's not quite time yet. Crow-girl is still wrapped up in her little information war with the other big players in this game. She shouldn't be long, but that gives us time to get some introductions out of the way."

    As he finishes, the disc crests the shimmering barrier at the height of the Ossuary and floats over to one of the three balconies, settling down near the edge. The balcony has been prepared with luxurious accomodations: padded chairs, a sofa, and even a pair of beanbag chairs. Upon one of those comfy lumps reclines a spindly boy munching on a veggie wrap. He's dressed casually for someone sitting in a magical pocket dimension club for supers, no traces of costume, though his clothes are also a bit more worn-down than one might expect of an apprentice to the Lich.

    He waves as you enter, and swallows the last bite of wrap. "Hey! These the ones, Kirin?" At the nod, the spindly boy jumps to his feet and cheers. "Yes! Finally! Okay, introductions time! Who goes first? Should you, or should I?"

    Kirin shrugs. "Do as you like, Ash."

    The boy in tattered threads, Ash, pouts at the mage who brought you here. "C'mon, you gotta let me introduce my own name. That's just rude." He huffs once more, then abruptly changes expressions to a confident smile as he smooths back his hair. "Hello Dawnbreakers! My name is Ash, like the tree, and I'm known as the Formless Shaman. I'm a shapeshifter, so expect to see me wearing a bunch of different faces, and I specialize in the magic of spirits, especially the spirits local to Halycon City. If you ever have spirit trouble, please get in touch."

    Kirin takes his seat in one of the chairs and gestures at the four of you. "Further introductions are superfluous since you all already know who I am, but all the best flair and drama comes at the cost of efficiency. Name's Kirin, and I'm the Scaled Warlock. I bargain with monsters and steal magic from the most terrifying beasts in the world. I also don't really care about New Dawn and all that, not unless it gets in my way, so don't expect me to help you in the future without some form of compensation. What happens tonight is a favor to Corax and nothing more, alright?"

    The dragon mage sighs. "With that out of the way... let's lay down some quick facts. Fact #1: the Ossuary is being spied on. Until Corax gets back, we can't discuss any of the sensitive topics that we've all been summoned here to discuss. There is, however, one topic that the Crow Witch won't mind us talking about in range of prying eyes: June Lang. Her stunt in the media has made it obvious that she has some stake in the absolute mess brewing, but that leaves three questions: what does she want, why does she want it, and how much is she willing to do to get what she wants? I want to hear your take on the situation."
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    JigaWatt
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
    • Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior.
      On a 7-9, name one NPC present.
      On a 10+, name two NPCs present.
      The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice.
      On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to?
      - What or who do they most care about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
      On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.
    • Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.


    Unsure despite himself of his suitability to be rubbing elbows with as much concentrated metahuman as there is in this place, JigaWatt pushes forward as best he can regardless.

    "Well, in the name of flair and drama--JigaWatt, and I’m the Amp’d Showman," he introduces himself in the same vein the other two had, the corner of his mouth twitching. "As for Juney, with her level of involvement in what’s going on and the way she dropped that bombshell, I’d say she’s after...power." His voice falters a bit at the end, but he rallies and continues.

    "She’s set up this big threat to get everyone scared, and outs it in a way that makes her look smart and forward-thinking while simultaneously making the League look incompetent at best and complicit at worst." He’s not sure where they actually might fall on that scale, but he’s starting to feel like they might actually belong there, wherever it is.

    "She now has people’s attention, since she’s the one who broke this whole thing open. Now her next step could be using the resources and technology of her company and putting forces into the field that ‘take care’ of the New Dawn crew." He shakes his head; he could be wrong, but that feels like her brand of audacity.

    "She proves that she’s the hero, and she gets done what the League couldn’t, or wouldn’t. Soon, superheroes get replaced with armoured Junetech troops, and she’s got an army scattered about who knows how many major population centres."

    The showy hero hesitates, then shrugs. "I mean, that’s what it sure seems like to me," he says with a determination that he doesn’t really feel. He could be way off base—he’s certainly no tactician, he’s well aware of—but it all seems to hold together.

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Fox
    Conditions:

    Potential: 3/5

    Fox was already growing weary of this other mage, small wonder people were not fond of their craft when most bloviated about their general uselessness to the task they were present to discuss. Jigawatt seemed, however, to have most of it under control. What that said about him, Fox was more than happy to keep to himself. It helped that JW was the one best in place to discuss matters regarding June. It wasn't something Fox was informed on and the speculation he'd had would not find likely purchase here.

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Errant White
    Conditions:
    Potential: 5/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: -1
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.
    • [X]The legacy matters: When you take Influence over someone from your legacy (or give them Influence over you), mark potential and take +1 forward. When someone from your legacy causes your Labels to shift, mark potential and take +1 forward.
    • [X] Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.


    Clearly all mages had a flair for the dramatic, but it seems like Fox doesn't appreciate having competition. Jigawatt is in his element, but he likes to talk too much. This meeting is supposed to be about getting as much information from Corax as they can, not spewing what they know to everybody who will listen. Instead, it's like a monologue festival. But maybe that could be used to their advantage?

    Clearing his throat, Aiden cuts in before JW can go on for much longer. "I'm Errant White, the White Lion of Albion. If you don't care about New Dawn, what's your interest in June Lang? Anybody who covers themselves in scales must have some kind of angle."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled a 6 to Pierce Kirin's mask. If nobody wants to spend a Team, I'll mark Potential.

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Fox
    Conditions:

    Potential: 3/5

    "The knight is correct. One who boasts of their power does not come to such meetings merely for a favor. Not without being a fool or presumes we are fools to believe otherwise."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spending a Team to boost Errant's roll to a 7

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    May 2020

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Void
    Conditions: Hopeless
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: +1
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: 0
    • Mundane: +1


    Alex nods his head. Even if he did have more information on this, he wouldn't want to talk about this with people he didn't know or trust, at least until he knew why they wanted to know. Giving information and opinions for free wasn't something you did with just anyone, especially villains. "You must have....something you...want to get from this if you're...asking about it..."

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ???
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Halcyon City, The Ossuary. Friday Night, 4th of October, 2019.

    Kirin rolls his eyes at your suspicions. "Do you accuse everyone you meet of having ulterior motives? Look, maybe you guys don't care much about breaking your word or ignoring requests from colleagues, but I deal with dragons and demons. Keeping your word - your exact word - is pretty important to them."

    Spoiler: Errant's Pierce the Mask
    Show
    "What is he really planning?"

    From what you can tell, Kirin's probably telling the truth, or at least most of the truth. Beneath the performance he seems genuinely disinterested in what's going on, like he's doing all this for someone else and would rather be anywhere but here.


    Ash clicks his tongue at Kirin. "You're being rude to them. You said you wouldn't be rude."

    Kirin glares. "I said no such thing. Besides, they started it."

    A long, tired sigh interrupts the two of them before their petty sniping can become a full argument. Stepping out of a door made of light and shadow appears the woman of the hour: Corax, the Crow Witch.

    Only Fox has seen her in person before, but you've all heard at least a little about the favorite apprentice of Lich Girl. Enough to be surprised that, although she's wearing her signature feathered robes, no mask sits upon her face. You can see bags under her eyes and a tightness to her expression, and her dark hair is poorly-kept. A word springs to mind: haggard.

    Corax gives Kirin a hard look and he leans back in his chair, muttering under his breath. Then she turns her attention to the four of you.

    "Hello, Dawnbreakers. I apologize for my appearance, but I have been kept rather busy by Weaver, and by whoever New Dawn's diviner is. You are here because I promised you answers, yes? Then let's not waste any time: June Lang is working with one of Lich Girl's apprentices, and the two of them are behind the rise of New Dawn."

    There is a moment of silence as her words sink on, but she gives no time for response before continuing. As she speaks, she weaves an illusion around her. Images appear of June Lang, Sentinel, news shows, and Human Interest rallies.

    "JigaWatt, your analysis of the situation is intelligent and thorough, and it matches everything I have observed since the beginning of this mess. All of June Lang's media presence in recent years has been focused on discrediting the League and sowing distrust in legal authorities. I believe she was laying the groundwork for the rise of both New Dawn and Humanity Now. As the majority baseline populace of Halcyon City starts to distrust the League and AEGIS, they turn to Human Interest as their new authority. The growth of Human Interest frightens metahumans, who turn to New Dawn as an answer. The rise of New Dawn in turn radicalizes Humanity Now to usurp Human Interest, and this cycle of radicalization will continue until both organizations have become armies in all but name. And both armies will answer to the same power: the partnership between June Lang and Samantha Clay."

    The illusions change to a warehouse full of technology, and then some of the illusions splinter off to form an image of the Humanity Now rally you were all present for.

    "JigaWatt's media connections alerted him to technology stockpiles being formed in secret by Junebug Technologies. Investigating one of those stockpiles revealed the clear presence of New Dawn tech, suggesting a very clear connection between Lang and New Dawn. That stockpile was, incidentally, only two blocks from the upcoming site of the rally. When your team showed up at the rally to foil New Dawn's plot, they revealed a new gaseous form of the serum. Humanity Now took center stage at that rally, intending to radicalize Human Interest down a violent path, but whatever their speakers would have spouted was washed away by the immediate brutality and effectiveness of New Dawn's attack. Both Humanity Now and New Dawn achieved their objectives that night, even if one of the three attacks was foiled before it could harm many people. Again, both organizations serve to radicalize each other and send this whole city spiraling toward a manufactured war."

    The illusion of the rally fades away and the warehouse zooms into focus, and a woman inside it: dark hair, dark sunglasses obscuring her eyes, and a business-formal outfit.

    "In that stockpile warehouse, JigaWatt encountered a woman with psychic abilities, a telepath. The telepath had been warned of intruders by her employer, suggesting a precognitive on New Dawn's payroll. The presence of psychic powers was not, however, an isolated incident."

    The warehouse disappears and is replaced by an image of the Ward, just beyond Halcyon.

    "The night that New Dawn's labs were raided, a handful of supervillains were brought to the Ward. They were to be questioned in the early hours of the morning, but by the time interrogation rooms had been set up, every one of them pleaded amnesia. Psychic investigation confirmed their stories: they had all been stripped of any memories pertaining to New Dawn, or indeed to any of their activities for months back."

    The illusion changes to Dr. Moreau in prison garb, sitting at a metal table and pleading with two AEGIS agents and Weaver.

    "Security footage shows no sign of interference with any of the prisoners, and no sensors in the facility were disturbed. And yet, between the time they entered the facility and their arrival at interrogation, they had forgotten everything about the organization they had spend months with. The work of a psychic with incredible talent and the capacity to bypass some of the strongest security measures in Halcyon. I believe the woman you saw, JigaWatt, to be responsible for this mysterious case of amnesia."

    The illusions return to the Ward, through hallways and past cells.

    "That isn't the only oddity surrounding the Ward. At the rally, you fought Strivari, Quantum Spring, Transcendent Frog, and Platinum Perfect, the latter two being confirmed escapees from the Ward. Many of the villains employed by New Dawn have been Ward escapees, despite the supposed foolproof security of that prison. Either our enemies are beyond the League and AEGIS to a frightening degree, or the League and AEGIS are tacitly allowing this situation to worsen. Either possibility is dangerous for us."

    The illusions change to a messy laboratory, and a briefcase with a strange symbol on it: a circle inside a square inside a triangle inside a circle. The briefcase opens, and inside you see several vials of glowing green liquid, as well as several empty slots where other vials would fit.

    "In the Warrens, your team found a secret lab dedicated to testing and manufacturing a drug capable of granting superpowers, or rather granting the appearance and approximation of superpowers. Inside that lab, Fox and Liminal discovered a briefcase bearing the symbol of the philosopher's stone, the most important sigil in alchemy. The briefcase was retrieved, and through examining the contents I determined that the drug used by New Dawn is in fact a diluted version of an alchemical serum that empowers the user with temporary magical abilities. New Dawn's technicians have been mass-producing this diluted serum from the handful of pure samples given to them by their alchemist benefactor. The alchemy involved is highly complex, and beyond what I could create even with years of trying. There is only one person I know of in Halcyon City who could create a serum like this, and she is right inside this building."

    The laboratory disappears, only to be replaced by another laboratory, this one less technical and more esoteric. Weathered books, eyes floating in jars, pressed flowers, and wooden tables stained by colorful liquids. It is a cramped space, with blinding fluorescent lights and thick shadows. Incense burns in each corner, and in the middle of the laboratory is a great stone chair covered in unclean furs, carved to resemble a throne. A woman that looks barely human reclines on that throne. There is discoloration around her eyes and fingers, her irises are a shade of amber that's almost yellow, and her poison-green lipstick matches the poison-green hair that falls in ragged, stringy clumps in front of her face. She's wearing an acid-pocked black hoodie and jeans with very authentic rips and tears. Her skin is pale, sallow, almost green-tinged in places. The skin around her fingernails is bloody and torn, like she chews on it.

    Corax is quieter now, but you can hear rage hiding behind that false calm. "Samantha Clay. An alchemist with many skills and few morals. When I first met her, she was a drug dealer catering to the supernatural crowd. She brews poison for those that crave it, and is quick to worm her way into any organization that will take her, a parasite always digging deeper and spreading her sickness. She was a claimant vying for control of the Ossuary before my master smashed her crime ring to pieces. Rather than killing the worm, Lich Girl saw value in her talents and forced her into the role of apprentice. Now she works her craft deep within the Ossuary, bound to her room by a magical seal and guarded by another of the apprentices. There is no logical way that she should be able to distribute product without it ending up in the Ossuary's registry, and yet her alchemy has found its way to New Dawn all the same. She is June Lang's partner in this scheme, and the threat I am most concerned with."

    Corax lets out another deep sigh, then spreads her hands. "So. That's everything I know about New Dawn. No more secrets."
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    JigaWatt
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
    • Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior.
      On a 7-9, name one NPC present.
      On a 10+, name two NPCs present.
      The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice.
      On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to?
      - What or who do they most care about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
      On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.
    • Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.


    It takes JigaWatt a few moments after Corax finishes speaking to fully recover from being referred to as ‘intelligent and thorough’, descriptors that have rarely been applied to him outside of occasional schoolwork.

    "Um, wow, that’s hella intense," he manages eventually. "And definitely not good that this Clay chick is managing to cause all this trouble despite being locked down. How, uh," he hesitates, not entirely certain he wants to know the answer to what he’s about to ask.

    "How do you plan to stop her from keeping this up?"

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ???
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Halcyon City, The Ossuary. Friday Night, 4th of October, 2019.

    Corax smiles tightly. "Why, I'm going to kill her. As I've wanted to for so, so long."

    Ash shifts uncomfortably at that comment, while Kirin clears his throat and says, "Maybe don't lead with that? Kind of gives the wrong impression. You know, like you're a murderer. Or that killing Clay is something you're currently capable of doing."

    Corax narrows her eyes at him for a moment, then begrudgingly nods. "Yes, well. I suppose that's the long-term goal, then. In the short-term, Clay is protected. She is an apprentice of Lich Girl, albeit an unwilling one, and she is protected by the master's laws. None of us can harm her, and she cannot leave that room. In order to strip her of that protection, I must prove that she has acted in violation of our laws, and convince the other apprentices to banish her from the group. And unfortunately, the briefcase isn't enough."

    Ash perks up. "Oh, is this the part where I come in?"

    Corax nods again. "That's correct. Dawnbreakers, I want you to travel with Ash to a black market for magical goods. Ash will be your guide, and together you will search for signs of activity by the alchemist. We will use Clay's greed against her, and hunt down any lackeys she has stationed in the marketplace. If I know her well - and I do - then she will certainly have her fingers in multiple pies. Prove the connection between Clay and New Dawn, and I will have the evidence I need to put her before a trial of peers."

    She pauses, once more giving you all a chance to soak it in, and then follows up with, "So, are you in?"
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    JigaWatt
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
    • Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior.
      On a 7-9, name one NPC present.
      On a 10+, name two NPCs present.
      The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice.
      On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to?
      - What or who do they most care about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
      On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.
    • Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.


    Nearly as dumbfounded by the suggestion as his companions JigaWatt splutters for a moment, glancing sideways for a moment at the team’s arcane expert to see if Fox has an obvious opinion. Foolishly, of course as the man’s mask completely prevents any such possibility.

    "Not sure how much use I’ll be in spotting anything out of the ordinary in a, ah, magical goods black market," he admits. He’s not so self-deluded as to be unaware of his strengths and weaknesses as a hero, and clandestine work isn’t his strongest suit. His near-escape from the mentalist at the New Dawn warehouse stash had been more than enough to confirm that.

    "Regardless, I’m game to help how I can," he agrees. "I can’t speak for my companions—" another hard-won lesson, "—but I hope they’re on board as well?" His voice ends a touch inquisitively, as he really has no idea what his teammates feel about this matter.

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Fox
    Conditions:

    Potential: 3/5

    Other than the idea of a babysitter, and one that could serve as the eyes and ears of Corax...he'd have to ask why she did not trust him after everything thus far when the team wasn't around...Fox was of course over the moon for going to a magical flea market. "We were not invited here to decline. There was no offer made here. We are going, yes?"

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Errant White
    Conditions:
    Potential: 5/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: -1
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.
    • [X]The legacy matters: When you take Influence over someone from your legacy (or give them Influence over you), mark potential and take +1 forward. When someone from your legacy causes your Labels to shift, mark potential and take +1 forward.
    • [X] Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.


    The panel shifts to Errant White, impassively sitting back in his padded chair. The lion-faced helm betrays no emotion, but the white armor glowing faintly against the dim sorcerous light highlights the contrast between the knight and the viperous brood he's fallen in with. Feathers and scales may show them for who they really are, but baldness should never be mistaken for trustworthiness. The Crow Witch says this Samantha Clay has many skills and few morals. As if the other apprentices were any different? While Corax briefed them, a knot had begun to form in his stomach, and as gazes turn to fall on him, it hardens into resolve. When Aiden breaks the expectant silence, he is as surprised as anyone to hear not his own voice, but a low sonorous growl that carries the fullness of his righteous indignation.

    "Who are you, Corax, that you think to summon us here to your lair, to enlist our aid in your unworthy intrigues? You who look at children and see only soldiers and pawns?" As he rises to his feet, the armor glows brighter, as if pushing back against the darkness that surrounds them. "Who are you that you expect a Knight of Albion to gamely obey your commands while you openly plot murder in my presence? We are the enemy of your enemy, but do not mistake us for being anything like you, cloaked in feathers and scales. Keep your ugly deeds shrouded in your darkest night. Our only common cause with you is to break the dawn!"

    "You want my sword?" Errant asks, huffing and puffing. Reaching to his neck, he jerks the tiny Durendal free from its chain and it grows to full size in his hand with a flash of light. "When this is over, you won't lay a finger on Samantha Clay. You will turn her over to the Knights of Albion and she will face justice for her crimes. Those are my terms. What say you, Witch?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled an 8 to provoke Corax.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2021-02-18 at 02:13 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    May 2020

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Void
    Conditions: Hopeless
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: +1
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: 0
    • Mundane: +1


    Alex jumps at the growl given by Errant, almost changing into Void from the sudden different voice popping in before he realized it was Errant. He quickly speaks up afterward, wanting to get something in before Corax responds. "I'd rather not...get someone killed by doing this, too. If she's killed and won't be producing any more of this drug, there are...probably enough of this in circulation to not make a difference right now, and there's a chance that they have someone else...producing this besides her. She probably has information on this that could be helpful dealing with the New Dawn, so it would be more...helpful to keep her around and try to get that information from...her."

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ???
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Halcyon City, The Ossuary. Friday Night, 4th of October, 2019.

    Corax smiles as the first two agree to her terms, but that smile falls away as Errant speaks, and by the end of his speech her face displays only fury. She seethes in silence until both Errant and Void have said their piece, fists clenched. And then...

    "You... you dare invoke them to me? You would have me hand my prey to the enemy? To that pack of self-righteous fools being led in circles by a powerhungry monster?" Her fists tighten further and her next words are practically shouted. "You speak of justice? Justice, from the ones who stole my teacher from me?"

    "Corax!" snaps Kirin. There is a look of shock on both his face and Ash's.

    All at once, the fury drops out of her, and for a brief moment she looks absolutely exhausted, but then the false calm comes back. "My apologies. My temper got the best of me. I do not have much reason to trust the Knights of Albion, Errant White. They have betrayed the Ossuary before, and would do so again given the chance. I cannot trust them to deliver justice unto Clay. Perhaps a compromise is in order: you may interrogate Clay personally, and then she will be given to the legal authorities, AEGIS."

    Spoiler: Provoke
    Show
    Corax overreacts. Errant gains Influence on Corax.
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Errant White
    Conditions:
    Potential: 5/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: -1
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.
    • [X]The legacy matters: When you take Influence over someone from your legacy (or give them Influence over you), mark potential and take +1 forward. When someone from your legacy causes your Labels to shift, mark potential and take +1 forward.
    • [X] Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.


    Whatever Aiden was expecting, Corax's outburst was not it. Her revelation raises many questions, and his next audience with Baritmaeus will surely be one to remember.

    The Crow Witch's counteroffer is reasonable enough. Whether or not AEGIS custody would be enough to protect Clay from her enemies, at least they weren't openly plotting her murder anymore. It would have to do for now. After a moment of consideration, Errant nods. "I accept your terms." The glow fades from the armor, and in his own voice he asks, "Are we finished here?"

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ???
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Halcyon City, The Ossuary. Friday Night, 4th of October, 2019.

    Corax nods. "The market will be most active over the weekend, so I advise taking the night to rest and prepare yourselves. If you follow Ash and Kirin, the two of them can give you an idea of what to look out for, both in regards to Clay's alchemy and general dangers of the market."

    Ash and Kirin walk toward an opening that appears in the nearest wall, and gesture for the team to follow.

    Corax glances at Fox and adds, "I'd like to speak with your resident mage in private. I believe Fox already has some idea of the market's dangers, so I would like to provide more personalized guidance. Something to help if things go wrong."
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    JigaWatt
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +2
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
    • Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior.
      On a 7-9, name one NPC present.
      On a 10+, name two NPCs present.
      The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice.
      On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to?
      - What or who do they most care about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
      On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.
    • Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.


    JigaWatt stands to follow Ash and Kirin as suggested, but hesitates when Corax singles out Fox. He raises his eyebrows slightly at his teammate in inquiry; if he’d like backup while dealing directly with the witch, JW is totally there for him. He can’t help but feel a bit suspicious as to why she’s trying to split them up like this.



    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Pierce the Mask; Corax (2d6-2)[6]

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [IC] Masks: The Unseen Path

    Fox
    Conditions:

    Potential: 3/5

    Fox merely gives a roll of his shoulders to the team, motioning back to where Ash and Kirin stand. "We will not be long." He takes a few small steps forward to Corax, arms folding across his chest.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •