New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default OoC Age of Worms (Take Three)

Hello everyone (Albinobrow, FarmerBink, JWallyR, MuffinMan, and Untarr)! After a hiatus of several years (our last post was in 2015...) I think I finally have a schedule that will support me DMing this again.

So, let's establish a couple of goals for this discussion before we get bogged down in the details:

1. I want to begin in the third chapter, "The Encounter at Blackwall Keep," and proceed from there. Before we get neck-deep in the details I will put together a detailed summary of the story so far so that we are all on the same page, (world-)story-wise.

2. My hopes are that we can get all of the original players back, but I am not going to insist on the PCs being the originals. If you want to make a new character, you can!
    2a. If you want to keep your original characters, you can!
    2b. If you want to edit the mechanics of your original characters while retaining their history/personalities, you can!
    2c. Once the PCs are established we can work things so that they are all interconnected and that their stories work together as a party.

3. I would like everyone to commit to posting at least every 1-2 days, barring actual real-life emergencies. Most of us now have families (with kids), jobs, and other leisure activities. However, much like a bowling league or other team-sport, your inability to kick your own a** into gear and writing 2-3 lines to keep the action moving will effect (delay) several other people who want to play. All I am asking for is about 15-20 minutes from everyone once a day. I don't need epic poetry or Times-Best-Seller-level writing here - I just need a post. If you can commit 15-20 minutes a day to reading social media, playing a game on your phone, reading a book, or watching a TV show you can make this work. If you don't have even that much time, then let us know and we will wish you well as you do other things.[/INDENT]
    3a. In exchange for your commitment to #3, I am committing to posting DM posts daily. These are significantly more difficult, especially as we get into advanced combat scenarios and can take hours of my dedicated time. I will guarantee this for all of you if you will do your part.
    3b. "Real-life emergencies" are the sort of thing that you would make you call into work, go to the doctor, or take you away from internet connectivity forcibly (storms, forced-travel for work, etc...). I'm run a division of Sailors in the Navy, have a wife and kids, and am human, so I understand that this can happen. All I ask is that you give this a certain level of effort and don't cr*p out on everyone else.

4. If we cannot get everyone from the original game to play, I have at least one other potential player in mind who I think can keep up. Shall I invite him, or do we have enough players who can manage their time and play?

So...who's up for this? Post your thoughts below and I will begin working on the story summary...

2. - Top - End - #2

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: OoC Age of Worms (Take Three)

The Whispering Cairn (with prelude at the Abandoned Mine Office)

Spoiler: Introduction to Diamond Lake
    Show
    At a perfumed arcade known as the Emporium, Governor-Mayor Lanod Neff rubs shoulders with common laborers awaiting an appointment in the Veiled Corridor. In an adjoining antechamber, snakes and exotic dancers gyre to a sonorous weave of cymbals and seductive pipes. A floor below, a gaggle of grasping miners presses against the windowed door of a darkened cell, impatient for a glimpse of a two-headed calf.

Out in the street, a gang of rowdies screams obscenities at a crumpled halfling, kicking it as if scrambling for a ball. Their drunken laughter echoes off shuttered windows and bolted doors.

In a tower-flanked fortress across the shadowy square, filthy men with nothing to lose shout hymns to St. Cuthbery, clutching to their idealism and principles like cornered animals. Their wild-eyed chief minister smiles as he draws a cat-o-nine-tails across his bare back, awash in their adulation and the spirit of his god.

But it's just another night in Diamond Lake...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The setting for the initial adventure in the Age of Worms is Diamond Lake, a corrupt mining town (barely a muddy smudge on the map) three days ride from the fabulous free city of Greyhawk. Diamond Lake’s inhabitants are predominantly minors and laborers, desperate folk who toil in lightless depths for a pittance while corrupt mine managers live in relative largesse, ruthlessly scheming to undermine one another and protect their piece of the action. When not working, everyone celebrates along the “Vein,” a seedy road lined with alehouses and brothels. Overall the village is a sooty, sullen place prone to unpleasant bursts of violence and passion.

A small garrison of about sixty militia soldiers is stationed here, to defend the mines (not the miners) from bandits and rogue lizardfolk from the southern swamps. Rival cults share the same flock of potential converts only because the timing is not yet right for outright warfare. Things are not safe in Diamond Lake, and a right-thinking person would have every reason to want to get out of town as soon as possible.

The uplands surrounding the town are rife for adventure, however. Full of ancient tombs and burial cairns of long-dead cultures, anything could be out there…

Spoiler: The Faces of Diamond Lake
    Show
    Diamond Lake (small town): Conventional; Alignment - Neutral; Population - a bit more than 1,000; 800 GP limit; (96% human, 2% halfling, 1% gnome, 1% other races).

Governor-Mayor Lanod Neff (a lecherous philanderer eager to solidify his power and keep the mine managers in line)
    Sherrif Cubbin (Neff's pocket police chief; as corrupt as his boss)

Allustan (Neff) (the "smartest man in town," Lanod's brother, a respectable wizard, trained in the city of Greyhawk; an appropriate mentor for a PC spellcaster)

The Mine Managers
    Balabar Smenk (most ambitious and manipulative, owns 4 mines compared to each of the others' 1 mine each)
    Chaum Gansworth (youngest manager, working to unite the other managers against Smenk)
    Ellival Moonmeadow ("The Prince," the only elven manager, owns the only local silver mine, sees himself as above the rest of the "rabble" in town - which is probably true of the other mine managers)
    Gelch Tilgast (lost his stranglehold on Diamond Lake to Balabar Smenk about 10 years ago, very resentful)
    Luzane Parrin (only female mine manager, recently became a widow, courted by Balabar Smenk - whom she has rejected repeatedly)
    Ragnolin Dourstone (only dwarven manager, reputed to have betrayed his own clan for a bribe)

The Emporium
    Zalamandra (matron of the house, brilliantly combined forces with a professor Montague Marat - since departed - and his traveling sideshow and curiosity collection, has survived ten years in charge of the most profitable place in town to separate men from their coin - quite an achievement)
    Shag Solomon (quaggoth aristocrat, "gentlemanly wild man," tells clever stories in the opium lounge)
    Chezabet (fortune teller, uses Harrow deck, seductive performer but not a prostitute)
    Kurlag (half-ogre bouncer)

Lazare of "Lazare's House" (former dragonchess champion of Greyhawk, purchased a mine in Diamond Lake 20 years ago, lost it to Balabar Smenk, still hates the man publically)

Kullen of "The Feral Dog" (seething albino half-orc thug)

The Visiting Adventurers
    Auric (male human gladiator, wears a red/black girdle topped with a haunted female face - the Champion's Belt of the Greyhawk arena)
    Khellek (male balding, dark-haired human wizard, plays dragonchess at "Lazare's")
    Tirra (female elven archer, enjoys throwing daggers at "The Feral Dog")

Spoiler: Locations of Interest in Diamond Lake
    Show
    "Entertainment"
    Emporium (combination brothel, opium den, freak show, and gambling den, by far the most successful - and sometimes disgusting - display of vice in town).
    Lazare's House (relatively cultured nightspot, focused on dragonchess games and private trysts between prospective lovers)
    Feral Dog (cover-free competition with the Emporium and Lazare's, attracts the poorest laborers, hosts dog fights and is periodically subject to late-night brawls and knife fights between patrons, hosts a regular dagger-throwing contest)
    Midnight Saulte (by-the-numbers house of ill repute, frequented by soldiers)
    Spinning Giant (raucous, two-story tavern, popular with the garrison, named for "Flailing Felanore" a dim-witted giantess captured 40 years ago who has since died)
    Rusty Bucket (popular restaurant, used to serve fish till the lake went bad, owned by Chaum Gansworth, considered neutral ground for mine manager politcs)

Inns
    Jalek's Flophouse (very poor quality lodging)
    Able Carter Coaching Inn (part of a network of inns, connected with a regular coach-service connecting Diamond Lake to many nearby destinations)

"Houses of Worship"
    Church of St. Cuthbert (Jierian Wierus, head priest, dislikes Valkus Dun)
    Chapel of Heironeous (part of the garrison, led by Valkus Dun, a likeable soldier/priest who cannot stand Jierian Wierus despite their common ideas on how to improve Diamond Lake)

Shops
    Tidwoad's (cantankerous gnomish jewler)
    General Store (run by an amiable man named Taggin)
    The Captain's Blade (efficient melee weapon shop, run by Tyrol Ebberly - a weapon fanatic and enthusiast of adventurers' exploits)
    Venelle's (bowyer, friend of the Bronzewood Lodge)
    Osgood Smithy (Manlin Osgood is coarse but friendly, the best blacksmith in the region - easily recognized "O" makers mark on all products)

Residences
    Tilgast (fine grounds, high quality stable-service provided)
    Governor-Mayor's Manor (Neff) (visitation is by appointment only)

Other
    Greysmere Covenant (dwarven mining/shipping business)
    Smelting House (run by Banazel - the area's only alchemist)
    Diamond Lake Boneyard (managed by the church of Wee Jas - church is outside of town)
    Menhirs (Bronzewood Lodge) (an old stone ring often visted by residents of the Bronzewood Lodge, sacred to druids and rangers, rumored to be a relic from thousands of years ago)
    Old Observatory (once housed an order of monks obsessed with celestial bodies, now abandoned)

Spoiler: Points of Interest near Diamond Lake
    Show
    Twilight Monastery (creepy order of monk/assassins, honors the night sky and prophecy, led by "Izenfen the Occluded," has a bad history with Diamond Lake)
    Cairn of the Green Lady (devoted church of Wee Jas, honors and protects the tomb of a fallen saint of the church, lies across the Diamond Lake from the mining town of the same name, led by the priestess Amariss)
    Bronzewood Lodge (small group of druids/rangers who venerate Obad-Hai, an old-faith neutral deity of nature)
    Grossetgrottel (gnomish village-warrens, loose confederation, very suspicious of non-gnomes)
    Cairn Hills (rough wilderness, picked-over of relics and artifacts of thousands-of-year old deceased civilizations)
    Mistmarsh (south of the Cairn Hills, lizardfolk infested wilderness, primary reason Diamond Lake has a garrison)

A Player's Introduction to Diamond Lake

The ramblings of Knuckston Grizzlebeard, common miner and regular patron of the Feral Dog Tavern, a week before his death by a falling girder in the Tilgast Mines:

So, you wanna know what life is like in Diamond Lake? Hells man, why would you want ta give a s+%@ about this place? It’s a piss hole. My old bones sweat their last in those mines, and I’ve got nothing to show for it except a case of gout and the hacking lungrot.

You ain’t going away are, ya?

Well then, sit down. . . I’ll talk to ye about the sights around here, but it’ll cost ya a few rounds . . . the Good Dwarven stuff too, you cheapskate.

Okay, where was I? Diamond Lake, a s@**hole like no other. . .

Spoiler: Politics
    Show
    Governor-mayor Lanod Neff is the head cheese around here. He’s been appointed by Greyhawk itself because his father was a head cheese and got him started with a position at the Garrison that he didn’t deserve. Now, he sits in his massive manor house on the hill overlooking the town. It’s constantly under construction, mostly so Neff can try to outclass the other bigwigs in this berg.

The man himself? Hells! He’s a lying, cheating philanderer who spends more time chasing tail than doing any real work. He lines the pockets of his cronies to stay in power, and pays off that sheriff to keep him and his boys in line.

If it weren’t for his brother, Allustan Neff, Lanod’s body would have been dumped into a dry mine years ago by the other power brokers in town. Allustan’s a pretty powerful Wizard, probably the smartest man in town. I heard that back in Greyhawk, he had designs on being the head of a wizard’s academy, but fell out of favor and was forced into retirement. Since he was born and raised here, he ended up back where he started. I like to think he may have ran away from the big city with his tail between his legs, but, um . . . don’t tell anyone I told you that.

Anyway, the law around here, if you wanna call it that, is a big old bastard named Sheriff Cubbin. It’s no secret he’s in the pocket of the Mayor, and spends his time drinking and carousing in the various cathouses. When he got elected Sheriff, we laughed in our cups and threw darts at his head, until he arrested us all with his private battalion of cronies. Son of a b#!@@. . .

The only other law in town is the Garrison, ran by Captain Tolliver Trask. He runs about 60 men in the old keep, but the snots never bother to step foot inside the town proper. Mostly, they patrol the miles of wilderness outside of town, and pray to their self-righteous god of honor. Truth is, Trask doesn’t care a lick for Diamond Lake, and he keeps his men out of our affairs. He’s just here to make sure his precious metropolis Greyhawk don’t get attacked from our direction. If anything really bad happens here, the gates of the keep will shut so fast that any honest wage earner standing in the way’ll get dashed against the walls.

Spoiler: Business
    Show
    The mines are everything here, and I’ve been breaking my back inside of ‘em for 30 years. The mine managers come and go, and deeds exchange hands over blackmail, gambling, and even downright murder and theft. At least that’s the rumor. It a tough business and I can say that through it all, I’m still here, digging away to line the pockets for every backstabbing son-of-a-b%~&@ that ever owned a mine.

Right now, there are six mine managers, who are considered to be the ones that matter in town. They have the chink to ignore the law, and hire their own thugs to keep order in their respective areas of business. They fight with the mayor sometimes, but for the most part they don’t do much but bicker amongst themselves for every scrap of ore they can squeeze out of the hills.

You want a rundown of who they are? What’s the point of that? It won’t last. . .

Ah . . . the hells with it . . . keep the ale coming. . .

Right now, the comer is Balabar Smenk. He is a fat, lecherous bastard who got his start from his old contacts in Greyhawk. He spends his time gambling, drinking, and scheming up new ways to take over this entire town. The mayor hates him, mostly because he’s scared. Smenk owns 4 mines right now, and is poised to get more. Balabar may have just enough of the town in his pocket to stage a coup of his own, but he’s usually too powdered up with perfume and sweaty finery to think about lifting a sword.

Of course, this has really pissed off Gelch Tilgast. Right now I work for the old fart, but it may not last. Before Smenk come into the picture, Gelch reigned over this berg for years like a petty lord, and now he’s getting a taste of what it’s like to be on the outs. I’ve even heard rumors that he’s trying to get support from other mine managers to fight off Balabar Smenk, but that’s probably hogwash. Tilgast doesn’t know which way is up these days, and they sure as hell wouldn’t deal with him after the way he’s backhanded them over the years.

He’s still better off that Luzanne Parrin. She inherited her mines from her mother, who died in the Red Death when she was still a pup. Now, twenty years later, she’s almost bankrupt, and it’s no secret that she’s sleeping with Chaum Gansworth to try and protect her own skin. She’ll be broke soon.

Chaum Gansworth has been in town for a while, and keeps a pretty low profile. Other than the fact that he’s sleeping with Luzanne, there ain’t much to tell. He does own the Rusty Bucket, and has dinner there quite often. I guess his mines are doing okay, but then again . . . how the hell am I supposed to know?

The same can be said for the other two mine managers. One’s an elf, some prancing panty waste named Ellival Moonmeadow. He only owns one silver mine, and doesn’t have anything to do with regular townsfolk like us. He just hangs out with his fellow elves, doing . . . well, whatever it is elves do when they’re together. Haw ha!

The other one is a dwarf, named Ragnolin Dourstone, who’s been here ever since I can remember. Like most Dwarves, he does well for himself in the mining profession, and has handpicked a number of spots to start new mines, all of them pretty damn successful. So far, neither Tilgast nor Smenk has managed to dent his business one bit . . . though they’ve both tried their best over the years.

In addition to the mines, all six mine managers share a single smelting house, located near the old piers. It’s pretty much monopolized by the city council in Greyhawk, and run like a tight ship. The chief smelter, Vulgan Durtch, is a recluse, and the entire operation resembles a fortress with no windows, and no unguarded entrances. They had to step things up a bit security wise, after one of the mine managers sabotaged a rival’s shipment. I hear there is an "alchimist" working there too, goes by the name Banazel...

Spoiler: History
    Show
    Well, I can’t really go back all that far. My memory gets a little fuzzy when I think back to the old days. . . I do know that the area near the lake was run by some uppity feudal lord a long time ago. He built a keep, which currently houses the Garrison’s men. There are also a couple of old fences in the cairn hills where he tried to get his farming subjects to grow carrots and potatoes. I wonder how many of the idiot’s subjects starved to death!

Well, his sons started exploring the cairns and old gravesites that litter this whole area. I guess they found quite a bit of loot from the olden days . . . and I don’t mean 50 years ago. I mean really old days. Hundreds of years ago.

Anyway, all this loot attracted the attention of Greyhawk, and pretty soon they bought off the noble kids and annexed this whole area for themselves. They hired a group of adventurers to explore it all, and sucked every last treasure dry from those old tombs.

That would have been the end of Diamond Lake, except prospectors and surveyors came in and took measure of the land. It’s still s*$# for growing anything but weeds, but wouldn’t you know they discovered a massive cache of silver lodes and massive veins of iron under the hills, including the one we’re sitting on right now?

Now, years and years later, it’s said that that we’re the cornerstone of Greyhawk’s ore supply. Not like they’d pass any of that wealth onto common laborers like us, you understand. When I was a kid, getting a meal was as easily as casting a line in the Lake. Now, the smelting house and associated runoff has polluted the water so much, the merchants have to send off to Greyhawk just to get a week-old, salted flounder.

As far as recent history goes, there ain’t much to tell . . . honest folk are still getting screwed and the wealthy are still getting richer off of our sweat. Let’s see. . .

There’s an old ring of stones out in the boonies, called the Menhirs. It’s visited by Rangers, Druids, and other freeloaders. No one knows who built it, but they say the worn stone have been there for centuries.

The Old Observatory used to be a haven to some scholarly Monks, who used to prance about and read off astrology. They packed up shop when I was just a kid, and since then it’s pretty much sat abandoned.

Then, of course, about 19 years ago, a pretty bad plague called the Red Death swept through and killed a good many of us. I lost my sister to the Boneyard, and me son’s still got vapors and can’t make a living. I even had it myself, but it’s weren’t too bad on me. I did get a pretty lumpy scar from it on the back o’ my head though. You wanna see it?

No? Ah well. . .

Spoiler: Entertainment
    Show
    There’s nothing like spending a day’s wage in Diamond Lake. We may not get much in the way o’ housing, sanitation, or any of that frilly city crap that doesn’t do any good anyway . . . but we do have entertainment in spades.

If you have the money, the Emporium is the place to be. It’s run by a lady of the night, Zalamadra, and she’s got a whole cadre of the sweetest ladies you ever saw at her disposal. They sit in perfumed glory in the upstairs area she calls the Veiled Corridor. There aren’t any veils there that I’ve seen, but then again, I’ve never asked for one. There’s also a Den on the top floor where you can obtain the use of other substances that twist your mind around and make you talk funny, if you’re into that. There are plenty of games of chance, and a very interesting freak show downstairs full of dangerous and exotic creatures. Just last week, I heard a rumor that a crazed demon child escaped its cage and went on a fiery rampage. They haven’t caught it yet, and I’m keeping a sharp lookout. They say its hide has magic designs on it, and I’ll bet its worth a few pennies to its owners. I have a boot dagger handy in case I run into the thing.

If you like boredom, you can always visit Lazare’s House. It’s a fancy, high class place with a steep price. I remember when Lazare managed a mine in town, until his wife got sick and he was bankrupted, selling everything to that bastard Smenk. Inside his place, there’s no music, no dancing girls, and no fun. I heard everyone sits at tables and plays Dragonchess, a game with over 40 pieces and a multilevel board. Lazare used to be a champion, and has somehow pushed his habit on some of the upper crust. It’s a snore, but at least you can gamble on it.

If you find yourself a little light of chink, there are a few other places you can visit for fun. The Midnight Salute is a pretty cheap place to get some female action, but they cater heavily to the Garrison’s crowd. If you’re looking to get drunk or do some low-end betting, there’s the Feral Dog, where you can see some pit dogs tear each other to pieces, and get into a bar brawl or two. It can get rough, even for a guy like me, but it’s worth it because they don’t charge you to get in. Your other choice among the chaff is the Spinning Giant, but the other patrons are usually garrison soldiers, so you have to be tolerant of drunken chants and men who like to slap each other on the butt. They don’t tolerate stealing or bad manners, and there isn’t a card game to be found anywhere in the vicinity.

If you’re just hungry for some food, you can go to the Hungry Gar. The chef there is a pretty decent cook, but there’s only so much you can do with snared rabbits and deer meat. One alternative is the Rusty Bucket, which has a pretty decent common room as well.

Finally, if information of the outside world is your cup of tea, many out-of-towners stay at the Able Carter Coaching Inn. The main thrust of the business is running coaches and supplies back and forth to Greyhawk, Blackwall Keep, Elmshire, and other parts west. Boarders from all over stay there, mostly for short term business, so a good conversation about Greyhawk and other part o’ the world are in good order there. Plus, if you’re willing to pay, they’ll take horses too.

Nine Hells, you can always do what I do. You can always spend thirty years of your life slaving away to Gelch Tilgast, only to see your life get poured down the drain when he sells the mine to Balabar Smenk in a few years. Smenk pays two coppers cheaper, and you work a longer shift. Bastards.

Spoiler: Shops
    Show
    There are plenty o’ places to get business done in Diamond Lake. You got something to buy or sell, you can most likely procure your needs right here.

Let’s see. . . we got Tidwoad’s Jewelry, run by a uppity gnome of the same name. He cheated my mother out of her jewels for half their worth, so I can’t vouch for his honesty, but you should see his collections in the window – whew! . . . He swears that his shop is burglar proof, and so far, no one’s taken him up on the challenge. I’d like a few of those baubles for myself, that’s the honest truth.

The General Store is where you can pick up just about any mundane equipment you’d ever need. Taggin runs it pretty reasonable, and has all the supplies you need to travel overland for a month, or survive a mountain climb. He stays outta people’s business, and sticks to his own outfit.

If you’re looking for weapons, Tyrol Ebberly has a good shop. He claims to be a watch captain in Greyhawk, but be must’ve done something wrong to end up here. He has a few artifacts from the Cairn hills that he’s found. If you’re interested his place is called The Captain’s Blade.

Venelle’s contains some of the finest bows in the land. Venelle herself is happy to sell anything she has, if she can locate it through all the clutter o’ her shop. I took up bow hunting myself once, and stood all day in a tree stand, on her advice. The only thing I caught was a damned cold.

Manlin Osgood. . . now there’s a man I can hang a reputation on. He’s a right fellow and an able drinking companion, if his head’s right. He doesn’t bluff at cards, he’s always ready with a backslap and a handshake, and he makes the finest masterwork armor in the region. A few from Greyhawk come to Osgood’s Smithy special, just to access his team of apprentice blacksmiths.

That’s about it. There are other places in town to get things, but I wouldn’t recommend it. When your life depends on a wooden girder underground, you better make sure the right hands set it up, if you catch my meaning.

In Diamond Lake, it’s better to be gouged by an honest exploiter than outright cheated by a thief, so stick to those places I mentioned . . . you should be fine.

Spoiler: Churches
    Show
    There are a few churches in town that have gained a following, but I wouldn’t recommend any of ‘em. The best church for me are the Halls of the Veiled Corridor, where you can tithe your money for a cause that’s worthy of your coin, and get a little bit of sweetness besides.

However, if you insist, you can go to the Church of Ct. Cuthbert, right on the center of town. The sermons there are full of piss and vinegar, led by Jierian Wierus, whose favorite activity is to flog his own backside with a cat-o-nine-tails, and go to the seedy parts of town to convert others to do the same. His following is 150 strong and growing.

If they’d make you feel welcome, you can go to the garrison and sit at the Chapel of Heironeous. It’s mostly full of soldiers, who like to puff themselves up with honor before riding around the countryside in their fancy armor. Valkus Dunn is the righteous bastard in charge, preaching about public do-goodery, but doing nothing about it. He opens the service up to the public, but no one goes except men who swing swords for a living.

If you like nature, you can traipse out in to the boonies to visit the Bronzewood Lodge. Its run by a cleric of Obad-Hai who likes to scare people about bogeymen in the hills, but I can’t imagine why they’d sit out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to entertain them. Trying to fill the coffers so he can get back to real civilization is my guess.

There’s also a Temple of Wee-Jas around here somewhere, called the Cairn of the Green Lady, but you won’t see them much unless you go the Boneyard and visit the graves they tend to. When my Suzie died from the Red Death, they took her thin, deformed bones and washed her up real pretty. Then they stood around and gave a little speech about mortality and life, but I didn’t have a penny to give ‘em. They went ahead and did it for free.

Anyway, that’s pretty much a good rundown of Diamond Lake for ya. You wasted enough of my time, so get out of my face and stop asking questions. I got a few coppers left in my pocket, and I want to get to the Emporium to see that damned two-headed mule again . . .

Spoiler: Hook to start the adventure
    Show
    Idle chatter around the town speaks of a trio of well-dressed adventurers who are frequenting the taproom of the “Feral Dog,” Diamond Lake’s most notorious tavern. They speak with confidence of hard-won battles during their trek from Greyhawk and their intentions to explore the long-abandoned “Stirgenest Cairn” on the lake’s distant shore. While it sounds exciting, natives to Diamond Lake know that cairn is often explored by the community’s youth; it is always found empty and completely harmless.

But not all the tombs in the area are so harmless. Another cairn, found within a day’s ride of town, lies near an old iron mine that was abandoned about 50 years ago. The mine’s charter lapsed when its manager died a few years later. Situated in a sort of no-man’s land, the tomb was all but forgotten, its yawning entrance overgrown with weeds and choked with debris. When a curious teenager rediscovered it a decade ago it became a sort of community secret held by Diamond Lake’s youth. It used to be something of a coming of age rite for children to disappear into the cyclopean entrance to prove their bravery. They would dare each other to spend a night within its depths, with bragging rights to those few who succeed. When a local girl vanished one night while sleeping in the cairn six years ago, the games became more cautious, but never quite stopped. When the wind hits just right, haunting, almost magical tones emerge from the depths of this forlorn hole. Those in the know call it the “Whispering Cairn.”

While no one in town will tell the visiting adventurers of the follow of their “expedition” (the money is too good!), rumors have circulated amongst the townsfolk of valuables to be found in some of the hidden passages and graves of the other tombs in the area. And of these tombs, the best kept secret (so far) is the Whispering Cairn. In a hellhole like Diamond Lake, any chance at a profit is a chance to get out, and worth taking. Perhaps a local “expedition” to the tomb would prove to be that chance.

(Auric, Khellek, and Tirra, the three adventurers from Greyhawk City)

The party meets outside an abandoned mine office near the Whispering Cairn. Exploring the ruined building they clear out a small band of lizardfolk and their reptilian allies, led by a ranger named Ssyath. When the party spares his life the lizardfolk tells them of the black dragon Ilthane, who overpowered his tribe and laid her clutch in their lands. The lizardfolk have been forced to protect the eggs and Ssayth was sent out with a scouting party to find easier hunting. He reports that the swamp has become dangerous with worms infesting kills and a blight upon the land. Once released Ssayth expressed admiration and respect to the party, promising to leave them in peace.

After resting for the night, the party returns to Diamond Lake where they report what they found at the local garrison, begin purchasing the abandoned mine officer, and purchase supplies from the Tagin, the general store owner. Meeting with Allustan, a local sage, who warns them of the approaching "Age of Worms" and advises them to investigate the Whispering Cairn. The following day they begin their exploration of the Whispering Cairn, eventually making their way to a trapped series of passages leading to an impassable door. At the end a ghost, claiming to be a boy named Alastor Land, introduces himself to the player characters. He demands the party bury his body in his family's graveyard. When they reach the gravesites, they find them desecrated and empty - someone had stolen their remains. In the nearby abandoned house they encounter an owlbear and its cub before finding a clue - a severed arm with a distinctive tattoo.

The party visits the Emporium to sell the owlbear cub and meet Madame Zalamandra and her quaggoth escort, Shag Solomon. The two eccentric personalities eventually purchase the owlbear cub after entertaining (flirting) with the party members. From there everyone heads out to ambush Kullen, a half-orc thug with a matching tattoo to the one on the severed arm, and his gang. The encounter goes roughly until the party springs their ambush and subdues them. One of the men gives up the name "Filge" at the old observatory before the party flees the scene. The party expects him to be a necromancer, so they rest for the night and plan to confront the man the next day.

On the way to the observatory the PCs pass Kullen and his gang (who have just warned Filge of the approaching adventurers). The party encounters a variety of undead, including tomb motes, owlbear skeletons, a macabre zombie dinner scene, and finally the necromancer himself with a cadre of zombies defenders. Though they defeat the dark arcanist he escapes by using a syringe to transform into a gaseous form. Searching the observatory the party finds an incriminating letter, inviting Filge to Diamond Lake and discussing green worms and unkillable zombies, signed "S" (for Balabar Semnk). The party loots the necromancer's hideout, taking many valuable items and a jar containing a suspicious green worm with them.

The party spent the rest of the day seeing to their wounds and necromantic-ailments, burying the skeletons of the Land family, and speaks with the garrison chaplain, Father Valkus Dun. At his advice they visit the temple of Wee Jas and meet Mistress Amariss, the high priestess there. She offers to consecrate the Land family graveyard and then the party goes home to rest for the night. The next morning they visit the garrison chapel, a local merchant (Tidwoad, the gnomish jeweler) and Manlin Osgood (a blacksmith with whom one of the PCs was an apprentice) before returning to the Whispering Cairn.

Back at the Cairn the party finds no sign of the ghost, but the door past is open. Inside they encounter evidence of the Wind Dukes of Aqaa (also known as "Vaati") and eventually discover it to be the tomb of Zosiel, a lieutenant of the Wind Duke Icosiol, who was one of the seven vaati to eventually recover the Rod of Law (also later known as the Rod of Seven Parts). Inside the tomb they fight three guardians ("Wind Warriors"), find more frescoes detailing Wind Duke history, and several magical items. Most noteworthy of these is a Talisman of the Sphere that appears to be dormant currently. Taking their findings to Allustan, the sage reports that they are indeed finding evidence of the approach of the apocalyptic Age of Worms, including the name of "Kyuss," a harbinger of this dark time.

Wrapping up post #1
    Wrapping up post #2

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGuy

The Three Faces of Evil opens with Balabar Smenk blackmailing the PCs into investigating the Dourstone Mines and a dark cult underneath (who worship the "Ebon Triad," a heretical amalgamation of the evil gods Hextor, Erythnul, and Vecna). After an extended argument/discussion with Smenk, the party takes disguises, briefly meets with Allustan for advice, and sneaks into the mine during a disturbance engineered by Smenk's men. After intimidating several guards into letting them pass the PCs descend an elevator into the cult's lair.

Encountering two tiefling guards for the Hextorites, the party decides to first attack that branch of the cult. Their entrance sets off an alarm, mobilizing the entire cult and beginning an extended battle. After dispatching an enormous boar (the "Beast") the party enters an arena filled with fog where they fight the majority of the Hextorite cult, including a half-orc anti-paladin who faces the party's paladin on the arena floor. The combat goes poorly for the party when several zombies are identified as family of the paladin and he falls unconscious. The party scrambles for several seconds before a parlay is called by the Hextorites. Their high priest, Theldrick, negotiates with the party for the safety of his flock but looses his temper when their sacred statue is desecrated by the party paladin. He leaves with the remainder of his congregation to flee the tunnels while the party pursues them from behind. The ambush is intense, with combatants falling on both sides. Finally, the party defeats the Hextorite high priest, slaying him and the necromancer-priestess with him. Upon their death the Cathedral to Hextor seems to be flushed with divine magic (Heironeous blessing) and the party has time to explore and recover from the ordeal. While searching the discover two items of interests - Theldrick's journal and a coded message.

Spoiler: Theldrick's Journal
    Show

The party sneaks out of the mines and buries the paladin's family the following morning. After purchasing some equipment and discussing tactics they return to the mines, encountering Ragnolin Dourstone, the mine owner in the process. The party tricks the dwarf into panicking and aiding them as they traverse back and forth from the tunnels below his mine.

Within the caves of Erythnul the party finds numerous grimlock ambushes in the cliffs and rough tunnels. The party uses magical noise to disrupt the blind, monstrous humanoids and pushes into the darkness. While climbing downwards one of the party is shot and killed, inspiring the others to furious vengeance upon the grimlocks! (Solo-fight noted in a thread linked above.) The party defeats a grimlock barbarian and her companions on a rope bridge and then the grimlock chieftan in their common chambers. Finally, they encounter the insane grimlock witch, Grallak Kur, who inflicts curses and hexes on them as he summons spiders and webbing to hinder their attacks. After his defeat and cryptic threats the PCs discover more scrolls stating,

"...A great power stirs - a swarm of worms is at hand!"

"There is power growing in the pool of the Dark Cathedral that will serve the Ebon Triad as a champion, but there is a still greater force driving forward the power we worship..."

"At last the will of the Ebon Triad be done. With the return of great Kyuss, the age of Worms is finally upon us!"
    On the way out of the caves the party encounters a pair of chokers, scavenging on their fallen comrade. They decide to camp underground for the night before attacking the third leg of the cult the next morning.

Entering the Maze of Vecna, the party is immediately assaulted by the wrongness of the place as well as its deceptive inhabitants. The kenku imitate the PCs as they attempt to lure them down tunnels in the maze while the passages themselves twist and change around them. A vicious attack from the birdmen and their trained dire weasels nearly kill two PCs before they earn a reprieve. As the party creeps through the labyrinth they are assaulted by crossbow bolts, tricks, and eventually even magic from the defending kenku cultists. The battle rages long and hard as the enemy uses every trick of the profane terrain to their advantage, but the PCs eventually slay the all of the guards without the alarm being sounded. While exploring they rescue a captive man and recover their gear and the bodies of their fallen foes. The party retreats to rest and renew their assault the following day. The rescued captive turns out to be a druid who they captured when he was found asking difficult questions. After some discussion they agree to have him come along with them.

Re-entering the maze they find it unchanged from the previous day and they enter the Outer Sanctum without additional combat. Upon entering into the deepest portion of the cultists' lair they are assaulted by a powerful undead (an allip) and two acolytes of the high priest of Vecna. Disposing of the undead and one acolyte, the party is unable to prevent the second from escaping to warn its master. Shortly following the party is afflicted by profane forces, attacking their minds and wills. After a brief retreat to recover the party charges into the Inner Sanctum to attack the Faceless One, high priest of Vecna and leader of this portion of the Cult of the Ebon Triad.

The Faceless One and his alchemist acolytes through a dizzying array of magic and fire at the party, summoning giant centipedes, lighting webbing on fire, and mixing arcane and divine magic. At the height of the battle, just when the party was turning the tide and about to slay the Faceless One, the masked man laid low the cleric PC in a flurry of elemental power. In the next breath the vile archivist explodes into a mass of green worms, killing him and his allies. As the worms are about to engulf the remaining PCs three powerful divine forces war for them, with one (the will of Fharlanghn, the Cleric's patron) victoriously protecting them at the end. A moment later, the fallen cleric rises, his task not yet complete and a brief respite given by his god for one last combat...

That final battle is against the Aspect of the Ebon Triad, a vile amalgamation of the three deities worshiped by the cultists, which has risen from a black pool near the entrance to the cult's lair. The monstrosity lashes out at the party with staggering power, its unholy nature a blight on reality itself. The fight is not long, though, and the party defeats the aspect in a tumultuous series of blows. After this last task is done, the cleric's spirit departs and the divine force sustaining him seals the black pool away for all time.

As the party leaves the mines they are confronted by a large crowd and the Commander of the Garrison, Tolliver Trask. An earthquake shook the area at the death of the Aspect of the Ebon Triad and the entire town of Diamond Lake is essentially under martial law until Trask is confident that the community is safe. In response to the Commander the party charges Balabar Smenk and Ragnolin Dourstone of a great many serious crimes. A thorough investigation is performed and eventually much of the corruption in Diamond Lake is cleared out, starting with the two mine owners implicated by the party. The party's dead are interred by the Temple of Wee Jas in a very respectful ceremony.

The party is now set to travel with Allustan to see an ally of his, Marzena, a battle mage of the Free City assigned to Blackwall Keep at the northern edge of the Mistmarsh. The woman sent Allustan a message reporting the presence of strange green worms in the Cairn Hills. Allustan thinks this is connected to the party's discoveries and wishes to travel to Blackwall Keep with them. The fort is approximately 36 miles from Diamond Lake through some rough country, and he wishes to arrange their travel and then leave in the next several days.

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

Arkiana visits the Emporium alone (the night before the PCs fight Filge, the Necromancer, at the observatory)
    A night out on the town with Jan and Lyr (occurs before they investigate the observatory)
    Frederick bar-hopping (the first portion takes place after the party runs Filge out of the observatory - the second portion after the Whispering Cairn has been explored - the third as part of "The Three Faces of Evil" chapter)

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

Reserved for references and material from previous threads

Spoiler: Original Big 16
    Show
    1.What game system are you running? Pathfinder

2.What 'type' or variant of game will it be? Standard fantasy with themes of decay, corruption, and horror

3.How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? Up to 6, already chosen (Connor, James, John, Ian, Starnes, and Trey, and Josh).

4.What's the gaming medium? This forum thread and this one.

5.What is the characters' starting status? Level 1

6.How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Average gold for your class, all gear purchased, ready to go.

7.Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Any of the base classes from Paizo, plus the old 3.5 D&D base classes. I would encourage the party to discuss and create a party that is coherant and supports each other. Age of Worms is rather well known for eating PCs if they aren't careful.

If you decide to use 3.5 stuff, we will need to talk about conversions in some detail. I am open to lots of player input on those conversions, including input from players who aren't playing that specific class. In the end I will make the call based on balance and flavor.

Finally, I am going to do my best to make sure that everyone feels useful throughout the game. There are a ton of discussions online about relative levels of power and flexibility of the classes ("tiers"). If the party is looking to have some players who will outshine the others all the time, I am going to try and make sure that the "weaker" character won't be weaker.

8.What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Core Races only, with alternate racial traits from the Advanced Race Guide if desired. I am open to 3.5 alternate options of the core races, but it will require discussion again.

9.By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Pathfinder 20-point buy, max HPs at first level. 2 Traits for free. If you want to try for a 3rd via a drawback, we can talk it over and make it work.

10.Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Yes. You would be well served to have a motive for saving the world and working with each other, but I enjoy alignment RP, so if you want to be non-good, go for it.

11.Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Standard rules for PathFinder.

12.Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? I will roll dice, they will be visible if you as a player would have rolled them, and spoilered if they would have been behind a DM screen. I will expect you all to follow the honor system re: spoilered dice rolls and only look at them after the adventure is over.

13.Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Yes. We are going to utilize some of the character-creation/story-telling found in the Fate system (Dresden Files RPG is my source) and spell alterations in the vein of those found in the link. If you are planning to cast spells with any sort of regularity, or be a class from the Tome of Battle (3.5 melee combat stuff), we will be balancing things utilizing much of the system found in that thread.

14.Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Yes, utilizing the Fate system (Dresden Files RPG) stuff I mentioned earlier.

15.Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? All of the above, with some seriously deadly combat.

16.Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? I prefer you use http://paizo.com/prd/ or http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ for PathFinder-only material. Any Wizards of the Coast produced D&D 3.5 material will be available (I think I have basically every non-campaign-specific book from that era, plus some that are campaign-specific). Finally, for magic-users, the spell adjustments mentioned earlier.

Original OoC Thread

We will need to re-establish character text colors.

Albinobrow claims Blue and Dark Blue for Olofire.
    Who is covering loot-management? Shall we reset everyone's inventories so that we start at an even playing field?

I do plan to have the "home base" you all discovered stay with the party. We will need to work out the details for this at some point. Also, the lizardfolk, Ssayth, may or may not come back into the picture soon.

The necromancer, Filge, left for Greyhawk City after escaping the party. He may or may not return to plague them later...

Balabar Smenk, Ragnolin Dourstone, and Kullen's gang all remain in Diamond Lake (for now).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Herro everybody!

Short version: I'm so in. I would like to go for either 2a or 2b, as I really enjoyed Frederick as a concept. I'm somewhat more adept at various character mechanics than I was then, so I might want to tweak a few things, but in general the Half-Orc paladin striving to overcome prejudice still speaks to me. (y)

I'm good with 3, and also think I know who 4 would be, so (y) again.

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    ...I would like to go for either 2a or 2b, as I really enjoyed Frederick as a concept...
    Everyone will get to choose how they want to handle this individually, as long as we can put together a coherent, balanced party.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Short version: I too am in! I'm kind of looking forward to reading through the IC threads to reestablish that I have some idea what's going on
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Wow, blast from the past! I wasn't expecting it but I must admit I am interested in seeing where the story goes from here, and getting to play with everyone again. I'm in!

I can commit to 1 post/day, at least. I recall that Lyr had perished heroically against the forces of the Ebon Triad right before we stopped, so I'll need a new PC regardless. I will gravitate towards some sort of divine caster, as usual, unless anyone else expresses a strong desire to play one. (In which case I'd do another support-type character - perhaps a bard.)

My Pathfinder chops are rusty - I've been playing exclusively 5E D&D recently - so I'll have to knock the dust off.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Shall we reset everyone's inventories so that we start at an even playing field?
    This seems like a good idea to me - pick an appropriate Wealth By Level amount and let folks customize their starting gear according. It's been long enough that I doubt anyone has much sentimental attachment to their old gear.

DarkOne did you have a particular start date in mind for either (a) beginning play or (b) figuring out backstories for finished PCs?
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    I recall that Lyr had perished heroically against the forces of the Ebon Triad right before we stopped, so I'll need a new PC regardless.
    Yup - you had made a new Dwarven Shaman, I think. You can use him again or not - we will figure the details out as we go.

This seems like a good idea to me - pick an appropriate Wealth By Level amount and let folks customize their starting gear according. It's been long enough that I doubt anyone has much sentimental attachment to their old gear.
    Also my thoughts, but I want to hear everyone else's ideas too.

DarkOne did you have a particular start date in mind for either (a) beginning play or (b) figuring out backstories for finished PCs?
    Nothing conclusive yet, but I like to keep things moving. I plan to have "the story so far" finished in by the end of the weekend. In the meanwhile we can try to iron out who is playing (and what) and start hammering out the mechanics. Maybe start playing sometime in the next couple of weeks?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone will get to choose how they want to handle this individually, as long as we can put together a coherent, balanced party.
    That was as much by way of "hey guys, I'll be the paladin/meat stick" as anything else. More info for everyone else to decide accordingly.

I recall that Frederick very much had some sentimental attachment to his gear, as much of it was apportioned to a heavy war horse named Leroy. I, however, am not so concerned. I'll figure it out when we get to that step.

Still got my character sheet saved on Myth-weavers.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

As much as I would enjoy going through that first dungeon a 3rd (4th??) time, I agree that starting later in the module with a synopsis of the previous plot points would be good.

I'll need some time to clear out some Pathfinder Cobwebs. Once you have a timeline, I'll start working on this.

Looking forward to it!
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I definitely would like to continue exploring with Olofire and figure out his growth. I just need to remember what exactly I was doing with him there. I had something planned... Somewhere... *rifles through stacks of old notebooks and papers. Gives up. For now.*

As for text I’d still like to stick with the colors I had if everyone is cool with that. Blue when everything is hunkydory. and Dark blue after taking the mutagen and exploring the darker side of life.

With the inventory stuff, I don’t have a preference off the top of my head about new inventory or not. I still have character sheet as well so either works for me.

I’ve been delving more into Numenera and the Cypher system these days (still think y’all need to check it out 😝). So I'll need to brush up on the rules and feats I had and where I was going with him.

EDIT: That’s right! I was going the Master Chymist path! Alchemist 6/Unchained Rogue4/Master Chymist 10. Yeah I think I'll stick with that.

EDIT 2: Wait wait.. I'm not sure Master Chymist would advance Sneak Attack unless you are cool with it DarkOne. Also he would have to be at least a 7th Lvl Alchemist to get 3rd level extracts.. Must think more on this.
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2019-11-09 at 11:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking for feedback to refine concept, but here is the first draft.

Need help with specifics from Greyhawk and a response on if your character would have been in Greyhawk at some point in your history.

DM me if your character has or if you have any ideas on refingint this

High Concept: City Dwelling Acountant
    Trouble: Be careful when following the money, because you'll often find the trouble with it

Where are you from: Greyhawk
    Circumstance: Younger Borhter in Prominent Business family (shipping/freight). Eldest inherits business, younger siblings acquire useful skills/knowledge to support
    Education: Well educated in accounting and wizardy
    Friends/Youth: compettive nature of high society put a damper on friendships with others. Rule foolower
    Magic: Inherited gift from family. Developed because older sibling did not have time to do so, but access to magic is highly desirable.

What shaped you: strong curiosity and drive to prove himself
    Naive idea of right and wrong
    somewhat cowardly

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Untarr View Post
    As much as I would enjoy going through that first dungeon a 3rd (4th??) time, I agree that starting later in the module with a synopsis of the previous plot points would be good.
    I hope to have my summaries finished by the end of the day tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    EDIT 2: Wait wait.. I'm not sure Master Chymist would advance Sneak Attack unless you are cool with it DarkOne. Also he would have to be at least a 7th Lvl Alchemist to get 3rd level extracts.. Must think more on this.
    Well, first decide if you want the delay on extracts, cause I don't plan to change semi-spellcraft progression. I will review the class, but if it advances bombs (which you have given up elsewhere) then I am fine with it advancing sneak attack instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Untarr View Post
    Looking for feedback to refine concept, but here is the first draft...
    I actually like all of the typos in this - if you made them part of the character I would actually like it even more! (Not kidding!)

You should make a "Borhter" something in the business hierarchy related to being a member of the family too. Personality-wise and background-wise I think it should work. I will edit this post with a recommendation for the portion of Greyhawk where your family is based.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I was just riffing and didn't really refine the the post, or the character. I figured it was better to get eyes on the concept, get feedback, and recycle,rather than trying to deliver the full package.

I haven't played DnD at all in the last three years. I figure y'all would have some ideas if needbe in the early stages before things got too involved.
    Last edited by Untarr; 2019-11-10 at 08:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

Untarr, your PC could be from the "Clerkburg" district of Greyhawk City.

Quote Originally Posted by Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk
    The north end of New City, east of the Processional, swarms with students from the dozens of colleges, universities, and academies that have made Greyhawk one of the foremost cities of learning on the continent, yet another improvement initiated during the reign of Zagig Yragerne. Called Clerkburg or simply The Halls, the neighborhood also houses the professors, administrators, and menials necessary to keep the schools running. The presence of scores of private libraries - as well as the Great Library of Greyhawk itself - ensures a healthy presence of scholars and sages in the neighborhood, many of them experts on the ancient cultures that once inhabited the region surround the Free City. The Street of Temples along the southeast corner of the district boasts edifices in honor of Celestian, Kord, Lendor, and Boccob...

...Clerkburg maintains a laconic atmosphere that makes it popular with students, artisans, and laborers from other districts. Most of the quarter's small taverns and eateries have seating on the street or a veranda, resulting in a social atmosphere. Students walk and relax along the Millstream that bisects the district, which is second only to the Garden Quarter in its quantity of plant life and small parks. Some of Clerkburg's taverns erupt in violence now and again, and events at the popular Free City Arena occasionally get out of hand enough to attract City Watch patrols with truncheons to break up unruly crowds, but Clerkburg is, in the main, a sleepy community, and its streets are some of the safest in all of Greyhawk.
    There is also a significant Seeker's Lodge in Greyhawk that would have financial books to keep. The Seekers have a (temporary) representative in Diamond Lake, Khellek the wizard. The party has met Khellek at Lazare's House, where he plays dragonchess (when not exploring with his companions, Tirra and Auric, each of whom frequent other establishments when in town). If the Seekers were involved with any of the finances in Diamond Lake (reasonable), then they could send your PC there to find Khellek and get to the bottom of the issue. The three adventurers, led by Khellek, will not feature in this book, but we can manage some interaction prior to the events of the Encounter at Blackwall Keep.

Sound good?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Still working on the crunch, but I have a character concept in mind for a slightly unorthodox shaman. This PC has the Name Keeper archetype, whose unique mechanic is that he can commune with a different spirit everyday and temporarily gain some of their abilities. So he could bind the spirit of a warrior and become proficient with greatswords, and the next day he could bind the spirit of a noble and understand courtly manners.

I'm imagining that he was raised in the church (Wee Jas or Pholtus, most likely) where he received his formal education, and his heightened sensitivity to the spirits of the departed was seen as a "gift of the goddess". While not formally ordained as a cleric, devotion to his religion is still a huge part of his worldview. He feels called to put uneasy spirits to rest by completing whatever tasks they left unaccomplished in life. Wee Jas fits well here, too, because her followers are charged to seek out and curate magical artifacts.

(As an optional modification to the class, I think it might be fun to roll for a random oracle curse every time he binds to a new daily spirit. He wouldn't gain any of the higher-level curse abilities, this would just be a fun RP hook to explore different personas and the consequences of "hosting" different spirits over time.)

High concept: Spirit Shepherd
    Trouble: unruly "flock"

Personality: Still cogitating. I don't want him to be too similar to Frederick (lawful) or Lyr (chaotic). What I do know is that he'll be devoted to his faith, probably lawful, and a bit "head in the clouds" from his constant exposure to the spirit realm.

Untarr, what do you think about our new PCs knowing each other from Greyhawk somehow? It might be easier to introduce two new characters if there's some pre-existing connection between them.

Questions/comments/suggestions?
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2019-11-11 at 05:44 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

MuffinMan, in game with that archetype. The idea of having a different oracle curse is interesting - we can talk about each configuration being a specific, named and tracked, spirit. The curse for that configuration could then shift to match the specific spirt channeled that day.

Let's look into that variation with the understanding that I could change my mind if it is either too much power or flexibility. Otherwise, I like the idea!

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

So, when this campaign was being published (2005) it was released in the print version of Dungeon magazine. The companion magazine (aptly named Dragon) released a parallel series of articles providing players with tools to survive the adventures. The article that coincides with this adventure detailed three potential cohorts for use with the Leadership feat. Each of these characters has a background that ties into the setting and are available for use/rebuild if desired. Does anyone have any interest in these characters and the feat?

If so, I will work towards introducing them into the adventure so that you all can consider emplyoing them. The quotes below are incomplete - if interested I will provide the rest of the details at an appropriate time.

Gar Blitzhame - Male Dwarf Fighter 2/Wizard 2 (Transmuter)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Magazine Issue 335
    Like many dwarves, Gar acts gruff and uncaring toward those he barely knows, but he feels deep compassion for weaker creatures - whether adventuring companions or orphaned owlbear cubs. Despite his connection to the mercantile Greysmere Covenant, Gar seeks to leave Diamond Lake and explore thr greater world beyond. Of all the terrible and frightening threats that loom before him on the path he has chosen, none strike greater fear in his heart than that of his uncle, Dulok Blitzhame. While he never explains why, Gar insists on avoiding his uncle's residence and office at all times, and only joins a group if its members swear oaths not to receal him to Dulok...
    Daejin Moon - Female Half-Elf Ranger 4
    Do not mistake her quiet, retiring ways with meekness or submissiveness. Easy going, but easily bored, DaeJin tends to follow the will of the crowd - until that will turns towards excessive conversation. DaeJin keeps to herself and tends only to speak when spoken to - and then only enough to answer the question posed to her. When she does volunteer to speak she usually expresses her boredome with a quick verbal jab. Allies should prepare themselves for a pointed comment or two about their combat abilities - or lack therof - once the bloodshed has ended...
    Tassilo Viniese - Male Human Cleric 4 (Heironeous)
    As you might expect from an experienced cleric of Heironeous, Tassilo struggles to balance his actions between strict adherence to regimen and the never-ending need for compassion. He spent most of his life within the quiet confines of Heironean religious enclaves, and only recently did his superiors send him into the larger world to investigate the death of a paladin assigned to his temple. Tassilo does not let his sheltered youth and relative inexperience keep him from sharing his natural wisdom with others, although as a reserved individual he rarely comes across as a bossy know-it-all. He suffers fools now much more easily than he did in his youth, but at times such suffering gets the better of his patience. The biting quips that occur then often instruct as well as castigate - ever with an eye toward the perfect balance of warrior, healer, and teacher...
    In addition, should the PCs wish to take Leadership there are plenty of possible followers in Diamond Lake. With a home-base in the old mine office the PCs also have a great option for where they could meet, work, and possibly even live.

Finally, if none of these NPCs appeal as potential cohorts but you would like to use Leadership, let me know. We can work out other potential characters and figure out how to use them. Perhaps we could even use a lizardfolk (like Ssayth) and see where that leads us...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Actually, I'm changing my mind about my PC This is the first guy I had in mind to play, so I'm just going with my gut - I'll play a shaman some other time.

This fellow is an inquisitor of Heironeous. With a military background, he specializes in squad tactics and strategy. He has probably heard of Frederick (half-orc paladins aren't that common!), but we can decide whether or not Frederick has heard of him. A mission from the church gives him a perfect reason to be in Diamond Lake, and to ally himself with Frederick and the others. Will elaborate more soon, but I feel good about him!

That Tassilo fellow would make a natural cohort for Frederick and/or my inquistor - I'll think on it a bit more.

By the way, we're going to be re-starting a level 5, right?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

MuffinMan - if you plan to become a 2/3-divine caster than I would strongly advise the party to consider Leadership to get Tassilo or a similar full-divine caster in the party. The healing and access to higher level spells may prove necessary in the later levels (this campaign is intended to hit level 20 before the end...if we ever get there).

Alright - here are the decisions I am making to keep us moving forward:

1. Everyone needs to ensure their PC is level 5 with standard Wealth-by-Level. If an established PC is dramatically richer than WBL we need to talk, so check the details and give me a response.
    2. Everyone needs to choose text colors. If we go with what we used before (or has been chosen again), Albinobrow has Blue and Dark Blue, FarmerBink was running a variety of Purple, JWallyR was doing Pink, MuffinMan was Green, and Untarr had Red. If this is fine then we will move forward from there.
    3. I need someone to commit to managing loot.
    4. Can we wrap up all the details by the end of the weekend? I want to get things moving before anyone's motivations fail...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

MuffinMan - if you plan to become a 2/3-divine caster than I would strongly advise the party to consider Leadership to get Tassilo or a similar full-divine caster in the party. The healing and access to higher level spells may prove necessary in the later levels (this campaign is intended to hit level 20 before the end...if we ever get there).
    Hmm, good to know. I was actually on the fence: he's either an Inquisitor with Tactical Leader or a Cleric with Divine Strategist. If I were to go Cleric for those higher-level spells, how would you feel about reworking the Tassilo NPC into an inquisitor or warpriest, should one of us grab him?

1. Will build for lvl 5, standard WBL.
    2. Green is fine by me, text-wise.
    3. I guess I can take point on the loot. I'll link a Google spreadsheet here soon.
    4. End of the weekend shouldn't be a problem.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I'll check Frederick's WBL this afternoon/evening.
    I still prefer purple for my text, so that's good.
    I appreciate Ian taking point on loot. I'd really rather not with my own game to start back up
    (y) re this weekend

25. - Top - End - #25

NecromancerGuy

Hmm, good to know. I was actually on the fence: he's either an Inquisitor with Tactical Leader or a Cleric with Divine Strategist. If I were to go Cleric for those higher-level spells, how would you feel about reworking the Tassilo NPC into an inquisitor or warpriest, should one of us grab him?
    We can certainly work that NPC into something else - so far he isn't really built at all, nor is he written into the story (yet). I don't want to push you to one or the other inappropriately, but I do think that there is value in those upper spell levels...

3. I guess I can take point on the loot. I'll link a Google spreadsheet here soon.
    Thanks!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ok, Lydia the human cleric of Heironeous is mechanically complete. I'm going to noodle a bit more on personality & background details, but that shouldn't block us from proceeding. I think it's pretty easy to explain why she's in Diamond Lake and decides to help the party: the Heironeous church has heard of what Frederick has been up to, and has decided to send "reinforcements" - something like that!

Also, we have a loot tracking spreadsheet. It's linked in my signature and I'll include it in game posts from time to time. It should be set up so that anyone can view it (without sign-in), and I've given the other PCs specific permissions to edit it.

(DarkOne I haven't added you as an editor yet because I don't know your Gmail - you can PM it to me or I think FarmerBink can add you as an editor directly.)

With that, I think I'm ready to resume play! I'll get backstory fleshed out a bit over the weekend, but otherwise I'm ready to roll. Looking forward to it!
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I got caught at work late last night and didn't get a chance to look at this. I'll work on it today while out and about.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

New IC Thread

I recommend everyone begin posting in-character to role-play the new characters joining the party. When everyone is ready mechanically and satisfied that the party makes sense we can continue with the post I have spoilered (which is there for everyone to read and see where we are going).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to have the following spells added to my spellbook, above and beyond what I got from leveling

Spoiler: Spells
    Show

Mudball
    Enlarge Person
    Feather Fall
    Snapdragon Fireworks

Protection from Arrows
    Web

Haste

based on
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/Magic/#TOC-...nto-a-Spellboo

Material costs are 10/40/90 for 1st/2nd/3rd level. w/ a 50% surcharge for the pleasure.

Given permission, I'll purchase them for 15/60/135 for the starting character

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Untarr, most of those spells will be fine, with one exception: Mudball is a spell from Advanced Race Guide and is tagged as a [Goblin] spell. In this case I am going to rule that it is somewhat jealously guarded by the goblin arcane magic users that know it. If you want to learn it we need to sit down and determine the circumstances that led to your PC interacting with said goblin on good enough terms that they shared this knowledge with you (they would not be particularly common or welcome in Greyhawk, in spite of its generally cosmopolitan nature). Alternatively, we can discuss how you acquired a dead goblin spellcaster's spellbook.

Everything else is fine for the prices you noted - they are common enough spells that it would be easy to find other wizards with the spells who were willing to share the knowledge for the standard cost.