New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OoC Age of Worms (Take Three)

Anyone able to do smaller bits of damage, I'd love for this Kobold to be dead, but don't feel like it's the right choice to spend my singular big attack on it. AoE effects in this vicinity would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I'm a knob.

I've got iterative attacks, sooooo:
    (1d20+4)[9] 2nd attack vs ZD
    (1d20+4)[7] CC (22+, x2)
    (2d4+13)[21] dmg
    (2d4+13)[17] crit bonus

edit: had to dry up eventually. XD

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fixing the botched electricity damage roll (3d6)[11]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lulz, fixing bad copypasta'd Lantern Archon rolls:

Attack 1: (1d20+3)[23]
    CC: (1d20+3)[19]

Attack 2: (1d20+3)[9]
    CC: (1d20+3)[9]
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

um. Know religion? XD
    (1d20+4)[14]

6. - Top - End - #156

What happens if the electricity globe goes into water and/or when a Lightning Bolt is cast into water? Spellcraft (1d20+15)[18]

7. - Top - End - #157

NecromancerGuy

The electricity globe is snuffed out, expending its damage in the square of water it entered.

Lightning Bolt will expand identically to how a fireball does in air, though with a radius smaller for the distance it has traveled if it connected with anything on the way. If it hits the surface of the water without hitting anything else, it has an identical radius to a standard fireball spell.

8. - Top - End - #158

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    A couple thoughts.
    1: Frederick (and I) would like to fully disclose Ssayth's involvement.
    2: I don't think he would have the wisdom to recognize the significance and broach the subject himself.
    3: I'm a little surprised that it didn't come about more organically, actually. IIRC, the timeline of kidnapping to rescue doesn't allow for much time floundering in the swamp. I would think Hishka is likely to suspect *some* outside force led us to their lair already. Dunno how that would go down.
    1. Sure thing - I brought it up because it seems like a possible topic and I wanted to be sure everyone remembered. Given the PbP format of the game it is important to try and keep those threads going, even if in real life it has taken long enough that people might otherwise forget.
    2. The wisdom of bringing up or not bringing up this topic is certainly complicated. Given the alien nature of the lizardfolk culture it is also hard to know if it is a good idea or not without either an appropriate knowledge check or experience with the tribe.
    3. Hishka may have its own suspicions and have decided not to ask. Or it may assume one of you can track and traverse the swampland. Hence why it might be interesting to discuss...

Hishka is specifically noted as hermaphroditic in the campaign material, and for an interesting reason. The lizardfolk deity, Semuanya, is both male and female (detailed in Dragon Magazine #335), and their most honored representatives are similarly in-between. Since it isn't actually divine itself, Hishka is less than both sexes in some ways (inability to breed itself, for example), but blessed with a different perspective on what is important to its people and a higher intellectual capability than most of its peers. It has been difficult for me to remember to stress this at times, but I mention it to try and highlight the interesting aspects of it. You all know I am not inclined much towards today's "woke" culture - this campaign was released in 2005, so I don't think this is following that trend.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan has a -1 Wisdom mod and lots of Cha, she feels beholden to Ssayth for his help, and for what she might see as unjust exile from a tribe clearly under the negative influence of Ilthane (that's the black dragon, right?) so she's inclined to try and "right that wrong" as well.

10. - Top - End - #160

NecromancerGuy

The Twisted Branch were definitely under the influence of the evil black dragon Ilthane. That may or may not have contributed to Ssayth's fall from favor with the tribe - it hasn't been explicitly stated. His failure to secure new, worm-free hunting grounds and the loss of his raiding band (at the hands of the PCs) was the final straw that led to his exile, according to what he has told the party.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Just brought up Ssayth in-character to get the ball rolling. I assume everyone else can hear the conversation, so feel free to chime in!
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Knowledge (religion) (1d20+3)[23]
    Sense Motive (1d20+3)[7]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Know: Religion: (1d20)[4]

14. - Top - End - #164

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire is going to go with the group per Lydia's direction and engage, but first.

Will save vs fear (1d20+10)[26] (Fear save modifier = +1 base -1 Wisdom Mod +1 luck +2 Fearless +2 Protection from Evil +1 Bless +4 Aura of Courage)

15. - Top - End - #165

2 Will saves vs fear, thanks to the second and last use of Hermean Potential and the bonus from Frederick's aura: (1d20+13)[28] and (1d20+13)[27]

16. - Top - End - #166

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Two Will saves for the other two spawn when Olofire leaves the room he's in:
    Will Save 1 (1d20+10)[26]
    Will Save 2 (1d20+10)[18]

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan's knowledge check on the off-chance that she might be able to recall something (edit: useful about the worms, regarding Frederick's question):

(1d20)[19]
    Arcana is mod +6, Dungeoneering +4. Others untrained.

Spellcraft +8, maybe? :shrug:
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-09-10 at 09:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan is leveled up!

19. - Top - End - #169

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Jan's knowledge check on the off-chance that she might be able to recall something (edit: useful about the worms, regarding Frederick's question):

[roll0]
    Arcana is mod +6, Dungeoneering +4. Others untrained.

Spellcraft +8, maybe? :shrug:
    The answers to the sorts of questions Frederick has asked will require time at a library. Unfortunately your rolls aren't high enough to help answer any of these questions.

20. - Top - End - #170

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Knowledge Arcana
    (1d20+7)[17]

21. - Top - End - #171

Here's a compilation of the knowledge we have gathered (please add any stuff I would have missed).

Spoiler: Results for the Age of Worms
    Show
    Over two thousand years ago, prophecy foretold a coming apocalypse, a time of death and wriggling destruction. The prophecy has not changed significantly in this time, as it resists the efforts of fanatics to reword its predictions in support of transient agendas. There are eight events predicted that herald the dawn of this Age of Worms. These tragedies include world-shaking destruction, unholy powers rising, and powerful artifacts being rediscovered. Through them all the worm that walks dreams, waiting the day its heralds rouse it to feed on all that is...

Spoiler: Results for Kyuss
    Show
    Kyuss is a demigod or minor deity (details vary on which) associated with creation and mastery of undead. His symbol is a human skull infested with small green worms. His portfolio includes the creation and control of undead, decay, unholy transformation of the flesh, and worms.

Spoiler: Results of Wormspawn
    Show
    • Some zombies are just plain harder to kill that others - you can tell the really tough ones by the worms that infest them. Their wounds close up as fast as you can hack them apart. (They have fast healing.)
    • Worm-infested zombies are dangerous, for there is a good chance they are a Spawn of Kyuss, a disease-festering menace. Their writhing green worms can transform others into undead horrors. (They have the ability to spawn additional Spawns of Kyuss.)
    • Spawns of Kyuss exude potent supernatural auras of fear. Their touch not only infects victims with a terrible disease (called "Kyuss' Gift" that causes the victim's Wisdom and Charisma to waste away and hinders magical healing) but can also infest others with the worms that gnaw on their bodies. The touch of silver or simple damage can kill them before they begin to burrow and make their way to the victim's brain... (Paladins and anyone else immune to diseases are immune to "Kyuss Gift" but not the infestation and potential death and reanimation the worm infestation can cause.)
    • Magic that removes curses or diseases can save someone infected with the worms of Kyuss even if they have reached the victim's brain. Such a magic effect directed at the spawn itself can transform all but the most powerful into normal zombies. (Note that if the effect allows a save, even if labeled "harmless" the spawn can attempt to resist the spell effect and remain a full spawn.)
    • Some of Kyuss' spawn are much more powerful than the typical spawn and possess strange powers - like the ability to exhale clouds of noxious grave wind or the ability to spray the surrounding area with infectious worms. Not all spawn of Kyuss are humanoid in shape and worms might infest a variety of natural and monstrous forms.
    • Favored spawn of Kyuss (which are rumored to evidence the impending Age of Worms) and other, non-humanoid creatures infected with the worms are often called "Wormspawn" by knowledgeable sages who survive encountering them. The more common spawn (which you all encountered below Blackwall Keep) have existed for centuries and, while dangerous, do not necessarily portent such an apocalypse.

22. - Top - End - #172

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Alchemist's Fire DC 20

Craft check (1d20+20)[33] 35 (forgot the bonus from using tools in lab)

Spoiler: Craft Rules..
    Show

1. Find the item’s price in silver pieces (1 gp = 10 sp). 200sp
    2. Find the item’s DC from Table: Craft Skills. DC 20
    3. Pay 1/3 of the item’s price for the raw material cost. 6gp 6sp 7cp?? I
    4. Make an appropriate Craft check representing one week’s worth of work. If the check succeeds, multiply your check result by the DC. If the result × the DC equals the price of the item in sp, then you have completed the item. (If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner.) If the result × the DC doesn’t equal the price, then it represents the progress you’ve made this week. Record the result and make a new Craft check for the next week. Each week, you make more progress until your total reaches the price of the item in silver pieces. 35x20=700 First alchemist's fire is completed in 2 days and 8 hours worth of work.
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2020-10-04 at 09:25 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Loot Update

Sorry, I missed adding the treasure cache from the egg chamber to the loot spreadsheet. It's updated now.

After splitting all of the cash, every PC gets 577.16 GP.

In addition, we have these magic items that need to be claimed or sold:
    • +1 Returning Trident
      (to Frederick or sell?)
    • Amulet of Natural Armor +1
      (to Olofire?)
    • Bracers of Armor +3
      (to Jan or Marzena?)
    • Ring of Minor Spell Storing
      (Could be used for 3 cure light wounds, or 1 remove disease)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-10-05 at 08:57 AM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

24. - Top - End - #174

Very nice, thanks.

A purely clerical note about Marzena's personal gear: the items referenced in the spreadsheet are NPC gear as listed by Dark One, but as a PC I selected something else.

Regarding loot at hand:
    - Marzena has a high interest in the Bracers of Armor, since she doesn't have Mage Armor as a spell. Alternatively, she could acquire the spell fairly cheaply.
    - I recommend giving the Ring of Minor Spell Storing to a non-caster, as a backup in case we're in big trouble with the casters incapacitated. Suggestions for stored spells:
    a) See Invisibility and Cure Light Wounds
    b) Dispel Magic.

25. - Top - End - #175

NecromancerGuy

I think it worth noting that Ilthane planned to use the Ring of Spell Storing for Remove Disease. If the black dragon who was trying to spread this plague was concerned enough to want defenses it says something...

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    I recommend giving the Ring of Minor Spell Storing to a non-caster...
    Just saying, those are in short supply with this party. That leaves Frederick is the most apt wielder, which I don't mind, but I wanted to point out that
    1: he's not a non-caster, and will have options for healing and
    2: he's likely to be in a bad place, if anyone is. It's kinda of my MO to put him in the most dangerous spot and see if he survives. XD

27. - Top - End - #177

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    Loot Update

Sorry, I missed adding the treasure cache from the egg chamber to the loot spreadsheet. It's updated now.

After splitting all of the cash, every PC gets 577.16 GP.

In addition, we have these magic items that need to be claimed or sold:
    • +1 Returning Trident
      (to Frederick or sell?)
    • Amulet of Natural Armor +1
      (to Olofire?)
    • Bracers of Armor +3
      (to Jan or Marzena?)
    • Ring of Minor Spell Storing
      (Could be used for 3 cure light wounds, or 1 remove disease)
    I won't be able to use this amulet unless you are able to wear two. I already have the amulet of mighty fists (Agile) which is pretty important to him to perform how he does.

Also, while not a caster, per say, Olofire has many options for to heal and alchemically affect the battlefield in his extracts and with the items he creates. Alchemist's Fire of course, tanglefoot bag is an excellent option as well! I can look into the Kyussbane oil also. Anyhoo, I can make most anything! So give me a wishlist!

28. - Top - End - #178

Harrow deck cards below. The intent is to roll 1d6 and 1d9 for the first two columns, this is more convenient than rolling 1d54 and searching the table.

1d6 1d9 card stat al
    1 1 The Paladin Str LG
    1 2 The Keep Str NG
    1 3 The Big Sky Str CG
    1 4 The Forge Str LN
    1 5 The Bear Str NG
    1 6 The Uprising Str CN
    1 7 The Fiend Str LE
    1 8 The Beating Str NE
    1 9 The Cyclone Str CE
    2 1 The Dance Dex LG
    2 2 The Cricket Dex NG
    2 3 The Juggler Dex CG
    2 4 The Locksmith Dex LN
    2 5 The Peacock Dex NG
    2 6 The Rabbit Prince Dex CN
    2 7 The Avalanche Dex LE
    2 8 The Crows Dex NE
    2 9 The Demon's Lantern Dex CE
    3 1 The Trumpet Con LG
    3 2 The Survivor Con NG
    3 3 The Desert Con CG
    3 4 The Brass Dwarf Con LN
    3 5 The Teamster Con NG
    3 6 The Mountain Man Con CN
    3 7 The Tangled Briar Con LE
    3 8 The Sickness Con NE
    3 9 The Waxworks Con CE
    4 1 The Hidden Truth Int LG
    4 2 The Wanderer Int NG
    4 3 The Joke Int CG
    4 4 The Inquisitor Int LN
    4 5 The Foreign Trader Int NG
    4 6 The Vision Int CN
    4 7 The Rakshasa Int LE
    4 8 The Idiot Int NE
    4 9 The Snakebite Int CE
    5 1 The Winged Serpent Wis LG
    5 2 The Midwife Wis NG
    5 3 The Publican Wis CG
    5 4 The Queen Mother Wis LN
    5 5 The Owl Wis NG
    5 6 The Carnival Wis CN
    5 7 The Eclipse Wis LE
    5 8 The Mute Hag Wis NE
    5 9 The Lost Wis CE
    6 1 The Empty Throne Cha LG
    6 2 The Theater Cha NG
    6 3 The Unicorn Cha CG
    6 4 The Marriage Cha LN
    6 5 The Twin Cha NG
    6 6 The Courtesan Cha CN
    6 7 The Tyrant Cha LE
    6 8 The Betrayal Cha NE
    6 9 The Liar Cha CE
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-10-10 at 02:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

1) Currency noted and added to Jan's sheet
    2) Jan has a wand of Mage Armor, which IIRC doesn't stack with bracers, so I'm comfortable with letting Marzena have them if she desires.
    3) Jan is a caster but has no healing options of note (not even a CLW wand yet for use with UMD) so I am happy to hold onto the ring with a healing spell in it or something... I want to add utility wands to her setup at some point, but I haven't yet made it a point. Maybe I should...

30. - Top - End - #180

NecromancerGuy

1) Good.
    2) Glad that is resolved.
    3) As mentioned in Discord, post that Jan is going shopping and she will eventually make her way to a church where it could be done.