New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Hoplathemighty's Alone Against the Flames IC

For reference this is taken from Alone Against the Flames written by Mike Mason, Paul Fricker, and Gavin Inglis, thank you!

Do You Hear the Call of Cthulhu?
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Welcome to Call of Cthulhu, a Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now, to begin is quite simple, and this first introduction shall operate similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story (this is done in order to help with an easy transition between the investigation-heavy Call of Cthulhu, and most other RPGs). Nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Alone Against the Flames.

----
    Plymouth New Hampshire, 2:44 PM, September 1st, 1921.

The sun is high in the sky, a merciless ball of heat. You feel scorched by the time you reach the bus halt in front of Osborn’s Drug Store. It’s a relief to put down your heavy cases and take off your hat for a moment. You fan your face. It has been a long summer here, in your hometown, and yet a curiously empty one.
    You look across the street at the grubby butcher’s shop, the grocers with its faded awning, and the shabby tobacconist. Mistrustful faces glare at you as they pass, eyeing your clothes and luggage. It was your parents’ choice to live here, not yours. You were happy down south as a child, among Providence’s white-walled houses and leafy churchyards. Perhaps this new job in Arkham will supply the change you need.
    Yet everybody you know in the world lives here. You know nobody in Arkham, not one soul. You ask yourself one last
    time if you are doing the right thing.
    The answer is here. None of your supposed friends have come to see you off. You are alone. Whatever challenges lie in Arkham, it will be a new life, and a brave one.
    A small gray motor coach approaches and rattles to a stop. You put your hat back on and pick up your cases.

Two young men with sullen expressions alight from the coach. One looks you up and down before heading away. The driver also steps down, glancing at you before crossing the road to visit the tobacconist. When he returns, he is rolling a cigarette between his yellowed fingers. He gives it a final twist and examines you as he reaches for his matchbox. He is a thin man in his fifties, dressed in a stained shirt with the bus company emblem. Yet his eyes are sharp in their dark sockets.
    Where to?

You show him your ticket for Ossipee. From there you will connect to Rochester and Portsmouth, before the coastal line to Newburyport and, finally, Arkham. You should be able to afford a rail ticket for at least some of the way; otherwise this will be the first of many long bus trips.
    Mmm-hm.” The driver scratches the match and lights his cigarette. The end flares as he takes a draw. Then he exhales and gestures to the back of the coach. “Luggage rack’s up there.

----
    In Call of Cthulhu (somewhat like most other RPGs) there are eight characteristics Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Appearance, Size, Power, Education, and Intelligence
    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"

For the very early image you have of your character, please rank these characteristics in whatever order you choose. No need for anything else than this right now. Also, yes, I understand that this is not really your standard introduction to an In-Character Thread, but let's roll with it!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Hoplathemighty's Alone Against the Flames IC

I sigh, swatting smoke from my face. "This will be a long first leg of the trip," I think to myself. With some effort I heft the first of my bags onto the luggage rack, then the next and finally loop my sling bag around my head and shoulder.
    Without waiting, I open the door to the gray coach and sit inside.
    "Let's be off," I pause, "eh, what're your names then?"
    I glance in the rear view mirror, checking my reflection. Vanity was never something I could overcome, I don't have many vices but I can't resist checking if something has changed.

Intelligence
    Education
    Power
    Appearance
    Size
    Dexterity
    Constitution
    Strength

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Before you board...
    ----

The driver smokes and watches as you drag your cases to the back of the motor coach. The rack is set inconveniently high on the vehicle. You get a grip on the heavier case.

The driver continues to enjoy his cigarette, watching with keen interest as you struggle with the cases. You grit your teeth and heave the second one into place. Perhaps the residents of Arkham will have better manners.

The driver flicks his cigarette into the gutter and steps into the motor coach. Its engine coughs into life. You board, grateful that you will be the only passenger for the initial part of your trip at least.
    ----

For reference, the other two passengers got off the motor coach
    ----

With mixed emotions, you watch from the window as the tired avenues of your old home slip behind you, receding into the distance. For a few minutes, you can still see the church spire over the brow of a low hill. Then the road dips and it, too, is gone.
    Arkham is your new home. You will travel there, and make a new start.

The driver gives an unintelligible grumble as a response to your query. Nevertheless, your reflection appears mostly unchanged except for... no, that's just a bit of grime on the mirror.
    ----

For the record, your Sanity is determined by your Power.
    ----

The coach putters through the countryside. At first, the interior is stifling and your stomach lurches with every bend in the road. However, the driver opens his window, and by switching seats you find a spot where the breeze hits your face. You soon relax into the journey, observing the quaint little hamlets that the coach serves. A heavy-set woman boards at one settlement and gives you a polite nod. She gets off at the next one.
    ----
    Your Hit Points are determined by your Size and your Constitution. Please give me 3d6 which will help in determining how Lucky you are.

4. - Top - End - #4

WolfInSheepsClothing

As the coach rumbles along I dig out a book, Erstways From Here, and begin to read. Despite the jarring motion of the coach, reading is not difficult.

(roll)3d6(/roll)

5. - Top - End - #5

WolfInSheepsClothing

(3d6)[11]

Try this again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The road rises a little, passing cornfields and orchards. The leaves are turning and the trees are alive with glorious reds and golds. You have just begun to get truly engrossed in your book when the driver takes a tight bend at speed.
    ----

Please give me a Dexterity roll to see if you're able to react to this. So please roll 1d100.

7. - Top - End - #7

WolfInSheepsClothing

Reacting on first instinct, I grip my book.

(1d100)[7]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You rolled below your Dexterity which means you have succeeded on your roll. Interestingly, in Call of Cthulhu, your stats are what actually determine the difficulty of your attempt as opposed to a set DC like in D&D.
    ----

You feel yourself slide from the seat as the driver spins the wheel and the motor-coach plunges off the road. You grab hold of your book in one hand and the seat in front with the other, just in time to prevent a painful fall. The coach stops with a thump.
    Now you see what has happened. A Fordson tractor has stopped in the road and your driver has had to swerve to avoid this steel obstacle. He leaps from his seat into the road, unleashing a string of curses at the farmer.
    You take a moment to catch your breath. Perhaps you should offer assistance? But the driver has already returned. He backs the coach up a little and threads it around the tractor, glaring at the farmer.

You resume your journey. The driver takes the curves with more caution than before. He glances over his shoulder at you a couple of times.
    Sorry about before,” he says. “That fella was dumber than a hog. I’m Silas. What’s your name?

The accident was at least as much Silas’s fault as the farmer’s. But it doesn’t seem shrewd to antagonize the man while he is driving you through the middle of nowhere.
    ----

Make up a name for your character and I'll mark it down. You may add your age; for the purposes of this scenario (aka adventure), your character should probably be aged between 23 and 36.

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

I fold the corner of my book before closing it. Looking up over the edge of the seat in front, I reply, "Doctor Brant. Though please, call me Henry. Not to worry, Silas, accidents are bound to happen. Are you all right?"

I look for Silas' gaze in the rear view mirror.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The coach turns onto a narrower road, which weaves uphill through woodland. Silas becomes chatty.
    Don't you worry, I'm fine, bit annoyed and all, but fine... Going to Arkham, eh, Henry? Can’t say I ever heard of the place. Went to Boston once. Didn’t like it. Too much hustle and bustle. You got family there? A special someone waiting?
    The afternoon is wearing on. You see no harm in confiding in Silas about your new life.
    A job, eh? You said you were a... doctor?
    ----

Well now it's time to choose your Occupation. In Call of Cthulhu, an occupation provides you with several occupation skills. It's comparable to a class, but the main distinction is that it's not representative of all your character's abilities, and it does not really affect advancement.
    Some common occupations for investigators include (technically all of these could... theoretically include a doctorate):
    • Antiquarian
    • Doctor of Medicine
    • Journalist
    • Private Investigator
    • Professor
    • Something Else... (we can discuss, if you're aiming for being a doctor, we can cover specific kinds of doctors)?

Also, what's Henry's age?

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

Doctor Henry Brant is nearly thirty years of age. Having completed a doctorate in anthropological application of literary institutions, a rather unorthodox pursuit. Of the options mentioned, Journalist would be the closest to this rather obscure field of study. Journalism serving as the most accessible literary institution besides libraries, it would do well as the basis for an eventual doctorate. In terms of recognizable intersections with more common doctorate studies, anthropology and literature would also serve to inform the nature of Doctor Henry Brant's PhD.

"Yes, though my field is rather underdeveloped. I fit into a small niche between anthropology and literary history. I always imagined I'd end up in politics or maybe an arts museum." I lift the book for Silas to glance in the rear view mirror, "a perfect example of the type of mind numbing literature I pursue."
    Last edited by hoplathemightly; 2019-11-09 at 02:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Reminder to also be subscribed to the OOC. I post there too.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You recall the work you'll be doing as a researcher at Miskatonic University on the strength of a recommendation by your graduate school. The offer of researching at one of the top universities in the world was hardly one that you could pass up. You feel a tingle in your palms; you cannot wait to get started.
    Books, eh?” Silas takes the conversation no further. You get the feeling he is not much of a reader.
    ----

Given that you're currently a researcher you're probably not making too much so you're of an Average wealth. You also have the following occupational skills: History, Library Use, Spot Hidden, and then some choices. Firstly, which non-English language have you picked up researching ancient cultures and literature (literally anything from Egyptian Hieroglyphs to Spanish)?
    Which conversational skill do you use most often in gathering grants or just communicating with others?
    • Charm - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on (does not necessarily have to employ deception and could just be Persuade under a time limit).
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Persuade - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).

14. - Top - End - #14

WolfInSheepsClothing

I shift in my seat, open my book and absently ask Silas "So how long have you been driving this route?"

I think Persuade would be my choice, and I'm feeling a strong draw to Latin.
    Shall I be making a sheet with these skills or taking a mental note?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you finsh your question there are a couple of moments of silence before a quick "Long time..." Seems his talkativeness has ended quite abruptly.
    ----

You also gain the choice of three fields of research as a, well, researcher. Some suggestions based on what you've described might be Anthropology and Art/Craft (Literature).

I'll also provide a short sentence description or so for each.
    Spoiler: Skills (so many)
    Show
    • Accounting - understanding of accountacy procedures; reveals the financial functioning of a business or a person.
    • Antropology - identify and understand an individual's or culture's way of life throuh observation
    • Appraise - estimate the value of a particular item, including the quality, material used, and workmanship.
    • Archeology - allows dating and idetifying artifacts from past cultures as well as detecting fakes
    • Arts/Crafts - allows the creation, making, or repair of an item which could be artistic (painting, singing, etc...) or craft-related (woodworking, cookery, etc...). Each one requires its own choice.
    • Charm - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Climb - climb trees, walls, and other vertical surfaces with or without ropes or climbing gear.
    • Disguise - used whenever you wish to appear to be someone other than whom you are.
    • Dodge - allows one to instinctively evade blows, thrown missiles, and so forth.
    • Drive Auto - drive a car or light truck, make ordinary maneuvers, and cope with ordinary vehicle problems.
    • Electrical Repair - repair or reconfigure electrical equipment, such as auto ignitions, electric motors, fuse boxes, and burglar alarms.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on.
    • Fighting - one's skill in melee combat. There are also different specializations such as Sword, Axe, Spear, or Whip, which each require their own choice.
    • Firearms - covers all manner of firearms, as well as bows and crossbows. There are different specializations including Handguns, Rifles/Shotguns, Bows, and Crossbows
    • First Aid - emergency medical care, not for diseases (see Medicine).
    • History (you have this one) - recall a historical detail or event, the significance of a country, city, region, or person, as pertinent.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Other Language (you have this but you may take it again for another language) - Knowledge (ability to understand, speak, read, and write) of a language that's not your own. Each language is its own choice.
    • Own Language (you have this one) - Knowledge of your own language (presumably English)
    • Law - represents the chance of knowing pertinent law, precedent, legal maneuvers, or court procedure.
    • Library Use (you have this one) - Find a piece of information, such as a certain book, newspaper, reference in a library, or a collection of documents (assuming there's information to be found).
    • Listen - interpret and understand sound, including overheard conversations, mutters behind a closed door, and whispered words in a cafe.
    • Locksmith - open car doors, hotwire autos, jimmy libtary windows, figure out Chinese puzzle boxes, and penetrate ordinary alarm systems.
    • Mechanical Repair - repair a broken machine or create a new one.
    • Medicine - diagnose and treat accidents, injuries, diseases, poisonings, etc...
    • Natural World - represents the traditional (unscientific) knowledge and personal observation of farmers, fishermen, inspired amateurs, and hobbyists.
    • Navigate - take the correct path to a destination, whether in a strange city or the wilderness.
    • Occult - recognize occult paraphernalia, words and concepts, as well as folk traditions; can also identify grimoires of magic and occult codes.
    • Operate Heavy Machinery - required to drive and operate a train, steam engine, bulldozer, or other large-scale land machine.
    • Persuade (you have this one) - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).
    • Pilot - allows the safe operation of a boat, aircraft, or dirigible. Each one is its own skill.
    • Psychoanalysis - refers to the range of emotional therapies.
    • Psychology - perception, common to all humans, to form an idea of another person's motives and character, and detect if a person is lying.
    • Ride - applies to saddle horses, donkeys, and mules, granting knowledge of basic care of the riding anaimal, riding gear, and how to handle the steed at a gallop or on difficult terrain.
    • Science - practical and theoretical ability with a science specialty gained from some degree of formalized education and training, although a well-read amateur scientist may also be a possibility. These specializations include: Astronomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Cryptography, Geology, Pharmacy, Physics, Zoology, etc... Each one is its own skill.
    • Sleight of Hand - allows the visual covering-up, secreting, or masking of an object or objects, perhaps with debris, cloth, or other illusion-promoting materials.
    • Spot Hidden (you have this one) - find a secret door or compartment, notice a hidden intruder, see an inconspicuous clude, recognize a repainted automobile, become aware of ambushers, etc. - an important skill in the armory of an investigator.
    • Stealth - when attempting to avoid detection, moving quietly, and hiding without alerting those who might hear or see.
    • Survival - expertise required to survive in extreme conditions, such as in desert or arctic conditions, as well as on the sea or in wilderness terrain. Each environment is its own skill.
    • Swim - ability to float and to move through water or other liquid in times of crisis or danger.
    • Throw - hit a target with an object.
    • Track - follow a person, vehicle, or animal over earth, and through plants.

Oh boy, that was long. I listed all of them for later reference, as well as to let you know that as long as it makes sense, any of these can be involved in your occupation (although I'd hope you would provide reasoning for such a thing). So, with all that out of the way, choose three!

Also, I'm keeping track of all of this myself, don't you worry.

16. - Top - End - #16

WolfInSheepsClothing

I slip into the escape of my book as the conversation dies, not bothered by this in the least.

I definitely agree with Anthropology and Art/Craft Literature. For the third I'm between Psychoanalysis and Occult. Psychoanalysis would serve well in understanding how certain pieces of literature affect the populace under certain situations. Occult would serve well for more obscure pieces of literature that has, in the past, affected, shaped and impacted culture. Considering the nature of the game, Occult feels a more pertinent choice.
    Last edited by hoplathemightly; 2019-11-09 at 07:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sounds good to me!
    ----

You realize Silas hasn’t made a stop since the incident with the tractor. The motor coach winds its way uphill. However, your thoughts are interrupted as the road crests a ridge and you are treated to a magnificent view of the vista below.
    ----

Note that even if you don't pick it as an Occupational Skill or a Personal Interest, you can still attempt any skill roll, having what's called a Base ability in it. There will more than likely be a slight, but nevertheless present, chance of you succeeding on anything you attempt. I believe you alluded to this earlier, and this is me just elaborating and confirming this.
    ----

A creek snakes through the valley, breaking the rich autumn palette of the tree line. In the distance the White Mountains rise into hazy cloud. There is no settlement, not even a cabin, as far as the eye can see. Birds drift through the treetops, and you can just make out what might be two white-tailed deer lingering by the water.
    Perhaps you are making a mistake by moving to the city. Could you survive on your own in this lush wilderness?
    ----

Speaking of Personal Interest Skills from before, please choose four skills that represent your Personal interests (so things unrelated to your occcupation, in fact they cannot be the same as your occupational skills).

18. - Top - End - #18

WolfInSheepsClothing

Looking out into the wilds, I'm reminded of my landing in France. Though rather than verdant hills and a winding creek, I recall blackened craters and muddy trenches.

Getting to study at my young age came with a cost that most would hesitate to accept. My family was poor, no way to afford higher education. The military offered to pay for my education, so I joined.

I clench my right hand, remembering the jolts of force that accompany each shot fired. I know French, so I was among the first Americans to be sent as relief. I spent nearly a year, ranking officer for the majority of my stay, a benefit of my education for which I am most thankful. I believe it kept me from the worst.

Yes, this wilderness could be conquered, could the city?

For Personal Skills I am using a combination of military training and personal interest beforehand. Speak Language (French), Survival, Firearms, and Science (Cryptography)
    I'm going for an E.E. Cummings vibe.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, but it's important to note that you must pick a couple things: Firstly what environment for Survival? Based on your description maybe grasslands/hills? In addition, what kind of firearms? I would think either Handguns or Rifles/Shotgun, Submachine Gun doesn't make much sense.

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

I believe the area of France that America supported was predominantly hills, so Grasslands/Hills will work. For Firearms, I originally thought Rifles but thinking about it, Handguns would likely be the most used Firearm for an Officer.
    Is it within reason to claim those skills?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The motor coach rattles on through the hills and Silas continues his silence. The sky darkens behind you, pinks tinting the clouds as the sun descends. Finally a welcome sight comes into view: a settlement on the crest of a hill. This doesn’t look like the pictures you’ve seen of Ossipee. But perhaps you can persuade Silas to stop while you stretch your legs.
    ----

Please do not comment on anything related to IC just yet. I need to know the order of your occupational skills. You currently have chosen: Art/Craft (Literature), History, Library Use, Persuade, Anthropology, Occult, Other Language (Latin), and Spot Hidden. Please rate these from highest to lowest.

22. - Top - End - #22

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ok, let's see here.
    Library Use, Art/Craft (Literature), Anthropology, Persuade, Spot Hidden, Other Language (Latin), Occult, History.

I think that's good.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Minutes later, a harsh stuttering from the engine interrupts your reverie. Silas frowns and rattles the gear stick. The motor coach falters in its ascent. Silas utters a curse you don’t recognize and grinds his teeth, struggling at the wheel. You seem to inch up the hill until you reach the first buildings, low dwellings constructed from a rough red stone. Silas wrestles the coach into a small bay off the road. He scrambles from his seat and makes for the engine compartment.
    ----

Please give me either a Drive Auto (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) or a Hard Psychology roll (you consider yourself a neophyte in this field). A Hard roll means that I compare it to half of your skill level.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's sadly a failure.
    ----

Silas opens the engine compartment open and sticks his head inside. The hot metal pops and sizzles. He pokes at various components, then withdraws and wipes his brow, smearing it with dark grease.
    I ain’t sure what’s wrong. Might be the oil pressure. Might be something knocked off kilter when we took that spill. Can’t do much until the engine cools neither. And with the light failing… I reckon we’ll be here through the night.” He wipes his hands on a rag.
    The shadows from your surroundings are already long, and the air is chilly. You feel stiff from the journey and a night in the rickety coach sounds unappealing. Silas sees your dismay.
    This here’s Emberhead. Miles from anyplace. I only come through twice a week. But the folks here are good people. May Ledbetter keeps a spare room. She’ll look after you. Up that alley, turn right, first house on the left.
    He scratches his cheek, looks again into the engine compartment, and spits on the ground.
    Meet me back here at eight in the morning and we’ll see how’s we stand.
    ----

Now we're entering the more freeform part of the adventure. Nevertheless, given that this is still an introductory scenario. I'll be providing little prompts at the bottom of example things your character could attempt so that you can formulate a post in-line with general Call of Cthulhu ideas. In this instance, I have three possibilities.
    1. Head out and look for this May Ledbetter's house
    2. Ask Silas where he's going to stay the night
    3. Challenge Silas about the breakdown

25. - Top - End - #25

WolfInSheepsClothing

Standing at the foot of the coach, I ask, " so, this where you're staying?," I bump the coach with the flat of my fist. " It doesn't seem like it'd be too accommodating."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He gives the engine a sour glance before answering.
    Nah... I’ve got acquaintances here in the village. Reckon one of ‘em owes me a favor. Enough for bed and breakfast, in any case.” He stares at his grubby hands. “Probably won’t stretch to a hot bath.
    You don’t seem to have a lot of options. You fetch your cases from the back of the motor coach. The last thing you need is for all your worldly possessions to disappear into some stranger’s hovel overnight.

You drag your cases between the sullen buildings. You feel surprisingly weary, considering you have spent all day sitting down. Silas’ directions lead you to a modest dwelling with a slate roof. A nameplate reads LEDBETTER, and underneath, a sign in neat copperplate reads, LODGING ROOM. The lane around you is gloomy, but a lamp flickers in the window.
    A breeze chills your face. You’re not about to begin your new life by sleeping in the street. You rap on the weatherbeaten door.

After a moment, you hear footsteps inside the house. A bolt is drawn back and the wooden door swings open. A figure with loose curls and a rough-looking housedress peers at you. Her gaze takes in your traveling suit and your cases. Her voice has a slight Irish lilt.
    Hello. Should I take it as you’re looking for a room for the night?
    You enquire as to her rates, suppressing a grimace. As far as you’ve seen, the village does not offer you many alternatives.
    Oh, you’ll find them very reasonable,” she says. “You look tired. I’m May. Come inside and we’ll talk over a cup of tea.

The Ledbetter house feels cramped, with a low ceiling and simple fittings. But it is well kept and a cheerful fire crackles in the grate. The aroma of the tea is soothing and the cup warms your fingers.
    Have you come to Emberhead for the festival?” asks May.
    ----

Would you like to explain what happened with Silas and the coach, or ask about this festival?

27. - Top - End - #27

WolfInSheepsClothing

I take a sip, letting the hot tea warm my insides before asking, "festival?"

I glance around the room, looking for signs of other visitors. " Have many folks come for the festival?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well now, I suppose the Festival is about the only reason folks come to Emberhead. I thought you had maybe come to study it or take photographs, we get one or two visitors every couple of years for it. Well, it’s not tomorrow night but the night after. I suppose it looks very strange to a passerby.
    May tops up your tea. The spout chinks against your cup.
    We’ve got the Beacon, you see. One night every year there’s a torch-lit procession and we light the Beacon on the cliffs. You’ve never seen the like of it. They say it keeps the spirit of the village alive for another year. It’s a celebration. A celebration...
    She tails off for a moment, and blinks.
    But you didn’t come here to listen to me blather, and you must be hungry. I can rustle you up a bit of stew. How would that be?
    You ask again about her rates, and May names a price so low you accept it without hesitation. The room is small but comfortable, and the stew dark and hearty. The sign outside appears to be true to its name as there's only one LODGING ROOM, and thus, no other visitors. After dinner, you have a couple of hours before your usual bedtime.
    ----

Would you maybe like to talk to May some more? Walk around and get your bearings (then again, it is getting a bit late)? Or would you rather just turn in for an early night?

29. - Top - End - #29

WolfInSheepsClothing

Feeling the itch to familiarize myself with these new surroundings I finish my stew and prepare myself for an evening stroll. Before I leave, I pry a bit, "May, you said, the torches keep the village spirit alive. You mean, the life of the town?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

She looks confused, "You know, the spirit, everyone's happiness, you know, right?" However, May’s brow creases when you announce your intention to take a stroll. “Mind how you go,” she says. “Emberhead’s surrounded by cliffs and we don’t have your fancy street lamps here. Take the lantern and watch your step.
    Outside, you see what she means. The sky is overcast and only a few glimmers of moonlight peek from the clouds. Without the heavy lantern you would be walking in near-total darkness. You cannot hope to get an overview of the village tonight.
    May’s street is a narrow passage hemmed in by squat, dark dwellings. At the end, however, it opens up. A wide thoroughfare leads off to your right. A crude sign names it Silbury Street. To the left, a few yards away, your light picks out the crooked posts of a simple fence, and beyond that, the ground drops away into darkness. You take a couple of steps closer, but you can see nothing. Air from below cools your face. Then some instinct makes you look around.

An ink-black figure stands in the road, about twenty yards behind you. It stares at you. You form the sudden impression that it will run at you and throw you over the cliff edge. This is unsettling.
    Seeing it has been spotted, the figure slips down an alley.
    ----

Are you going to return to the safety of the Ledbetter house? Or are you going to confront this dark figure?