New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks (Choo Choo Chosen One)

Spoiler: Episode 30:
    Show

oooh brain melting? let see then.

well legend of zelda seems to be a story about an ever repeating generational cycle of reincarnation where each version of link/zelda/ganon repeat fighting over Hyrule with some breaking away from that but it generally always go back to that. I've seen some fanfics where they took a hard look at that sort of thing to show the characters involved being tired of the whole thing, and those that don't try to break the cycle still have Zelda and Link having their problems with it? It doesn't surprise me that people would feel that way since the cycle is always going to repeat, so each game must be written to make sure it does. that sort of cyclical, status quo-like story can get tiring and embittering after a while.

but yeah this much darkness is kind of excessive. I remember the darkness rooms in the final dungeon of paper mario full of stupid spiky enemies that are hard to kill and deal like 8 damage when their spikes were out? that was always a pain to get through. and of course every time pokemon makes you use flash it makes one sigh, because while its never required they clearly couldn't come up with anything better than just putting in a cave then making it dark and filling it with a bunch of zubat. darkness puzzles are basically the lazy man's difficulty, and at times a bit of a weird one since most videogame protagonists are adventurers who you'd think would carry light sources just for this scenario, making it moot.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks (Choo Choo Chosen One)

Yeeeeep. Surprise end dungeon.

For want of Arrows.

I'll admit, I was really bad at puzzles, so... okay, maybe it was a later room I got completely stumped on. Thought it was the first one, but maybe not. I'd feel even more stupid if that was the case.
    But I think it had something to do with the arrow direction dealies.

So... something about the Bow of Light (and also why Lost At Sea Station prevents you from using it), is that charging up the bow lets you stun and possess Phantoms in the same way as a sword hit wold do it.

You've already completed it, so this is yelling into the void, but you already solved the "those without special powers knowing the secret", out of order. That was telling you about the weakness in the wall.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh hey, time for another Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [31] Mind Melting

Video Length: 24:22

In this episode, we continue doing what we did last episode, with the rather elaborate multi-floor multi-phantom puzzle. There isn't much to really talk about other than this is a culmination of the entire Spirit Tower, which is both cool but also wholly unnecessary a task, and the dark floor makes it all kinda frustrating.

That said, hope you're all enjoying this. Next video will actually be us moving into the end game, so just endure a little longer.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

I do like how this place does give a way to use the Sand Rod in a better way than the Sand Temple. Since it lets you interact with Phantom Zelda for puzzles, and I really like that. The Bow of Light is just Bow+, so you're not really getting an iteration of something new, it's just Plot Coupon, so it means you get a full dungeon that isn't just focussing on any one thing - though, the Whirlwind really hasn't been seeing much use lately.

Edit: Oh, the Wrecker phantoms get some use, too - without it needing to be their spotlight dungeon.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-03-23 at 10:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #335

I definitely didn't stay up too later playing Animal Crossing New Horizons and am thus posting the video a little late. Nope, not at all.

Zodi Plays: Halo [3] Farsight

Video Length: 26:41

In this episode we finish off level 2, and truthfully nothing all that interesting happens since it's the back half of the first real level of the game. Still, we do get to try out the snipe rifle... even if we are promptly aimed in a direction with no enemies, meaning Em basically gacks them all before I get to even try it out. Oops.

Rounding off the video itself, we replay Pillar and this stage to get the Terminals, specifial New Graphics only computer thingos that spoil a lot of the story of Halo because they're basically extra Lore Lore Lore for people who care about that, which is nominally me. We won't be intentionally touching them until we beat Halo 1 as a result, but I'm keeping in these two because they were a good object lesson.

Hope you all enjoyed! I'll see you next time~

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

The reason survivors can be detected is that UNSC armour has short range scanners (which manifests as a radar, but this one doesn't have it in the Warthog, it seems), and also all military personnel has 'friend or foe identification' neural implants, so if you know the frequency you can detect for it - so it'll show hostile if it doesn't detect it, and friendly if it does. This has been your useless Halo Trivia Fact for the day.

So, there are reasons for why ships are called why they are, but, suffice to say, it involves spoiling more than is known in-game at this time.

Halo 4 actually was not developed by Bungie. Halo: Reach was the last one developed before it was taken over by 343 Industries (who did make the additional content for the Master Chief Collection, though).

Yeah, that's a lot of stuff there that's spoil-y... but also, a lot of it also doesn't make sense now, because you don't have the prerequisite info. So, that's good, at least. They kept things vague enough.

Which does remind me, the games don't tend to really cover the "beforetimes" of humanity leading to this point - it's mostly in expanded materials. Nothing is really touched on in any games, but I'll spoiler it just in case.
    Spoiler: UNSC History
    Show
    (Terminology note: UEG is the United Earth Government, the overarching governing body. UNSC is the United Naval Space Command, the military body of said government - and also pretty much the only part that you interact with.)

In 2291, the Shaw-Fujikiwa Translight Engine, or "slipspace drive", was invented. Allowing humanityto go faster than light, it finally allowed humanity to truly explore the stars. The colonies settled within the next hundred years would come to be known as the Inner Colonies, and they formed the economic and industrial center of the Human Worlds.

The Outer Colonies were settled over the next hundred years, by 2490, and were more of a frontier - nowhere near as developed as those closer to Earth. And that distance caused resentment, as those colonies began to feel that the UEG was infringing on their autonomy. Earth was felt as an interfering body, and there were harsh riots at times. One of these, at Far Isle, was unable to be quelled by the UNSC... and so they used nuclear weapons to solve the problem.

Thus was the Insurrection forged. There was never any real declaration of a civil war, but it was there, with the "Innies wanting out" of the UEG, and getting to self govern. The UNSC fought many battles, but it never seemed to be able to quell things for good. The leaders of the Insurrectionists were good at hiding, but the UNSC had a plan. And that Plan was called the SPARTAN project.

The UNSC (or, rather, the Office of Naval Intelligence / ONI, the "black ops" wing of it), had experimented with supersoldiers in the 2300s with the ORION program - but it fell through, and was a failure due to lack of both funds and success rate. The five successes all swiftly died within a year of service from biological complications.

Learning from their mistakes, the SPARTANS were selected from volunteers from all branches of the military, selected to be the very best, and augmented both mechanically and biologically. They were good, but they also fell short of the scientists hopes. Coupled with the fact that after their first operation, it was discovered that their project committee had been infiltrated by insurrectionists, and so it was shuttered, and the 165 surviving candidates were quietly folded into the military, and played no major part in either the Insurrection or Covenant Wars.

And so, with pressing need for an elite force to strike at the heart of the Insurrectionists, the UNSC initiated the SPARTAN-II project, from which the Master Chief came.

Spoiler: Okay, this isn't actual game spoilers, but it is *significant* backstory that will probably change how things are seen
    Show
    The problem with the SPARTAN-Is is that their biology was already developed, leading to a rejection or dilution of many of the augmentations they attempted to give to the subjects. Put simply, they were too old.

So the SPARTAN-II project, led by Doctor Catherine Halsey, developed a tight list of criteria. The best of the best that they could find. 150 candidates (though that was reduced to 75 with funding cuts). ...and they were all six years old.

These children were kidnapped by ONI, and replaced with flash-clones so the parents never knew their children disappeared. While flash-cloning is a good method for getting organs quickly... for humans, it causes all sorts of physical and mental issues, and all the flash-clones soon degenerated and died. 75 families, all believing their children were suddenly struck ill, and died. There were no missing children. The Spartans had their last names discarded, taught to forget all about their families.

For years, they went through intense physical and mental training. Running courses and exercises every day, followed by education in classrooms, to ensure peak physical and mental capabilities.

At age 14, in 2525, they went through the biological augmentation process. Of the 75... 30 died. 12 more were rendered entirely paralyzed. Only 33 remained successfully. But they became the fiercest soldiers the UNSC had ever known, able to use the battleship-priced MJOLNIR armour without risk of self injury. Trained in many combat techniques. And with a brilliant tactical mind.

The SPARTAN-IIs were immensely successful, being able to take out the Insurrectionist head - Colonel Watts - right in the middle of his own heavily fortified base, in late 2525. They became the Insurrectionist boogeymen. Clad in half-ton armour, yet stealthy, smart, competent, and extremely dangerous... there was no stopping them. It seemed like there would be a slow but sure end to the Insurrection.

Except, also in 2525, came the encounter at Harvest, and the first devastating surprise attack by the Covenant...

The Insurrection never went away, but fighting for the survival of your species meant that, at times, the UNSC troops and Insurrectionists would sometimes end up working together. Most famously between Admiral Preston Cole (of Cole Protocol fame), and his star-crossed lover, an admiral in the Insurrection.

(For reference, 2552 is the current year as of the beginning of Halo: Combat Evolved, 27 years after Harvest.)
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-03-25 at 01:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337

As Plague Week 2 ends, it's time for more Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [32] Compass of Light

Video Length: 29:55

In this exciting episode, the Tower of Spirits gives us one last knife shank to the ribs as it turns out that saving within it boots you to the very bottom. Hooray!!! Luckily all of the puzzles we solved on the way up are still solved so it's not THAT hard to get back to where we were last time, but it sure is an agonizing piece of weirdness that I'll never truly understand.

With that being said this final puzzle is a continuation on the theme of "use every Phantom to solve puzzles and also you need to jump between floors to get your Phantoms" which is interesting in theory but in practice is kinda agonizing. Especially since each chunk of the puzzle is divided into three separate rooms ON the floor, which just feels wasteful... and then, once that's all said and done, after we beat up the Geozard Chiefs on the next floor, the NEXT next floor is basically the EXACT same style of "use all Phantoms to solve successive puzzles" except it's one big room that has all the Phantoms in it! One of these two massive puzzles feels a little redundant and spoilers it's the one we spent the first half of this video on.

Once we finally carve our way through it all though, we get to the final sanctum and get our final chest, within which we find the Compass of Light, which lights up the rail that leads to the bad guy's secret lair. It's right next to our home village, which is honestly hella convenient. We return home, get the Great Whirlwind Slash from Niko for getting all his stamps, get one final, violent gasp of the game trying to get us to do sidequests which we promptly ignore, and we begin to head for the end game.

I hope you all enjoyed. Next time; the finale. Take care, I hope to see then.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

I legitimately hate it when games save the really cool power-ups for the end. Or, in general, when the reward for doing all the things is a combat upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I legitimately hate it when games save the really cool power-ups for the end. Or, in general, when the reward for doing all the things is a combat upgrade.
    Strong agree on this. At least give us a chance to earn it sooner than end game!

That being said there is a good "thing" about learning this particular move, but you'll see it next time...

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, PH and ST have some... annoying save and quit mechanics. It just has one general save point for the areas. Which is frustrating. And I do get that there's probably some memory-saving reason for it, but it still elicits a sigh, especially for a handheld that's supposed to be able to be played in bite-sized chunks.

I do feel like the reason that the phantoms weren't on the required floor was because it's a tight space (and they do try really hard to make things 'actually' map to the space), so you'd probably run into patrolling enemies a frustrating amount of times - especially when doing the phantom eye puzzles.

The huge mistake for Ferrus was meeting his hero. Because he kept insisting on something about a 'swordsman', not an engineer.

Hey, you have a few side-dungeons you could go to use it on.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Halfling in the Playground

Being sent back to the beginning of the dungeon after saving & quitting is probably a fail-safe, to prevent the player somehow getting stuck in the dungeon due to a design oversight.

Also, Zelda tradition.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Floogal View Post
    Being sent back to the beginning of the dungeon after saving & quitting is probably a fail-safe, to prevent the player somehow getting stuck in the dungeon due to a design oversight.

Also, Zelda tradition.
    Yes, this. No matter how badly you mess up, wherever you are in the game, even if you run out of all consumables and are on one heart with no safe path to the exit, even if you glitch yourself through walls into the void and can't get back, unless you've somehow managed to seriously corrupt things that are probably in read-only memory on the actual hardware, you can save, return to title, and be put in a known-good location with any partially-solved puzzles reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Yes, this. No matter how badly you mess up, wherever you are in the game, even if you run out of all consumables and are on one heart with no safe path to the exit, even if you glitch yourself through walls into the void and can't get back, unless you've somehow managed to seriously corrupt things that are probably in read-only memory on the actual hardware, you can save, return to title, and be put in a known-good location with any partially-solved puzzles reset.
    They could have at least just booted me to the entrance to this set of floors and not the very bottom of the tower.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

How much did you actually have to do to get back to the place you left off?
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

15. - Top - End - #345

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    How much did you actually have to do to get back to the place you left off?
    I had to climb the tower from the bottom to the top, which takes a fair amount of time if not effort. Then I had to climb down into the dark room, get the warp phantom, and then go out to the area where we saved. So ultimately it's not THAT much time spent, but it's a little annoying when compounded with all the other things.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 31-32
    Show

Episode 31:
    Zodi, just get Zelda up to higher grou- ah you figured it out

The Legend of Zelda. the Legend of Zodi. Legend of....Zoldia? No....Star Wars: Legend of the Zedi

Episode 32:
    all this for a photon-navigational magnet.

yeah, its kind of the problem with some progression systems: all the coolest stuff get relegated to endgame, so often you get them right when you stop needing them, because you've played the entire game without them....so now you either go back and just randomly kill things with the cool thing just because you can or continue on without using it even more, because you've demonstrated the cool thing is utterly superfluous to actually playing or beating the game. when really I'd prefer if it more games gave you a "heres a cool thing, now here are various ways to refine, customize or improve it as you go along" kind of progression where the idea is you get a raw unpracticed version of it first, then as you use it, you master it more so that it feels useful.

like imagine if the spin attack you demonstrated was just the beginning version you get and as you went through the game, you could upgrade the spin attack in various ways to make link dizzy less or not at all, to last longer, or to carry him across gaps or whatever, then you could start figuring out ways of how you want to use upgrade the spin attack so you can use it to your advantage. just a thought.

soon the surreal link express with ghost zelda will come to an end. this is probably the weirdest Zelda game I've ever seen. if I didn't know better I'd say it was a parody, because seriously trains? it sounds like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel to get another windwaker clone out.

17. - Top - End - #347

Last Train Home intensifies. It's time for the finale.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [33] [FINALE] Malladus

Video Length: 46:27

Spoiler: Final Boss Spoiler Stuff
    Show
    With ancient secrets firmly in our pocket, with a glowing compass and a shiny bow in hand, we head off towards the temple of infinite darkness next door to our sleepy home village. As we approach, a demonic portal opens and we get sent to the realm of infinite darkness. And, in what is probably the best example of how this game has affected my psyche, it presents me with a challenge that I am at first horrified at the implications... up until the game fiercely reminds me that if this game has done anything right, it's making very good boss fights and that this is part of the boss fight. All those Armoured Trains, once unbreakable behemoths that terrify us to the very core... all we need to do is drive our train to one of the Tears of Light and then it's Pac-man time bastard! Of note, I actually did this part wrong as well; if you honk the train-horn while going at Light speed, you go even faster. Heck yeah.

That dance of death out of the way, it's time for the boss fight proper; starting up with the fight against the Demon Train itself! This is actually a PRETTY cool boss fight all things considered, I genuinely do not remember why I was so negative about this part in particular when I knew all the other bosses were excellent. As it turns out the best I can think of is that there is times where the Demon Train will just move onto you and there's no real way to avoid that unless you're precognitive. Otherwise this actually RULES, our tiny train shooting down the Demon Train's cars as we work our way up to the front of the track so we can disable it with a couple powerful blasts to the face.

Now for phase 2. We've boarded the train, so Cole and Malladus shall face us directly! Cole shoots out little lightning rats that lets him scare Zelda and turn her into his puppet, which is frustrating and annoying, but ultimately not that big a challenge. The rats at times drop hearts too, so it's not an unavoidable death by attrition, you're only going to lose if you get MAD messed up. Malladus meanwhile is blasting lasers at us as we approach, but so long as we stay behind Zelda we'll be safe. Once we get to Zelda's body... we have a fun time shooting it in the chest. The Demon Train sinks below the shades, and we return to reality... only to face Phase 3.

Phase 3 is the moment we've all been waiting for; every Zelda game has a Tennis match with the baddy and this one is no different. Cole!Malladus, this hulking behemoth, blasts out a ton of fireballs and it's up to Link to batter them away as Zelda charges up for her super special move. This part is REALLY cool, for a number of reasons. First and foremost, Cole!Malladus's boss theme, taking Cole's stupid silly little goober villain theme... and making it REALLY intense is outstanding. It's honestly a feast for the ears. But as Zelda's power grows, the music starts to fade... all very intense. As well, due to just the nature of how this fight works... the final wave of fireballs basically baits you INTO doing a Whirlwind Slash, letting you finish the fight with a very cool special move of your own. It rules.

Regrettably phase 4 of the final boss fight against Malladus is a black stain upon my soul. Zelda's super special move is to make me play the flute one more time.

And finally... phase 5. With Malladus's weak point pried open by powerfully good music that does not belay the fact that forcing me to learn to play the fan flute is heinous in every single regard, we can bring the fight to him! Link can slice up Malladus to distract him, while Zelda... remember in Wind Waker, when Tetra used the Light Arrows to help us fight Ganon? What if we could control Zelda during that portion AS WELL as Link? Well, the brain geniuses who gave us Spirit Tracks did that, and it honestly rules. When I first played this part of the final boss it... genuinely made everything leading up to it worth it. Link distracts Malladus while Zelda blasts him in his weak apot, a perfect team up. Of course once the weak spot is blasted by a Light Arrow a DIFFERENT weak spot opens up, but that's fine. And, importantly... we BOTH strike the final blow together.

With Malladus slain, the ending can finally roll. We did it folks, we defeated Spirit Tracks. And as far as Zelda endings go, I do quite like this one. There's even some room for very slight alternate endings, though it ultimately doesn't account for much. And that's a wrap on Spirit Tracks.

------

I'd like to thank all of you for sticking with this. The hiatus right before the push towards the end was rough, but I managed to pull through it and so did you guys. This game was... substantially testing of my patience in a way I'd never really experienced before. Guess it's true that recording something is way, way different than playing it by yourself. I'm glad I did it though, this is the first of like... three massive hurdles in playing through all the Zelda's, and probably the hardest of said hurdles. We've put it in the ground, and now we can move forward.

So, what's next? Well, here is a poll to choose what the next path we're walking down next time we return to Hyrule. We've closed off a branch and now have to go back to Ocarina, and make a different choice. We went with the Adult timeline path, seeing how the world would work out without a chosen hero. As it turns out; lots of boats. Now we must choose one of two paths that remain... what happens when two children tell the King the man he's meeting is secretly evil, or what happens if we all got merc'ed and evil won. Wisdom or Power. Let's do this!

But that won't be for a bit. What's NEXT next is a fun little indie game called Ronin... and it'll be starting this Friday! No break, Plague Time means chaos rules! I hope you all enjoyed this mess of an LP, and I hope you enjoy the next one. Take care everybody.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Trains of Thought (29)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's time for the beginning of the end, as it where.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [29] Chicken Delivery Service

Video Length: 48:01

This is a long one, but mostly because we take on the final Take Them All Down, a massive challenge where we fight through rooms of end game enemies, and then finally every single boss in the game... plus a secret boss that is rather hard. All in all, a pretty cool challenge, even if the reward is kinda lame.

After that, we get chickens for Rael so we can get that stamp at his station. During all of this I go over some of the stuff we WON'T be doing, mostly because it's tedious and without any real merit.

And that's it for today, I hope you all enjoyed! Short description for a long video but that's how these things work out sometimes. Next time, we begin... the final push towards the end of the game. I hope to see you there.

Man! I was on board with you skipping pirate cove till you said fighting miniblins! The kill count weeps, but understands.

LMAO on the cucco meme. +1 style point.

While you didn't kill one of the Big Blins, the swing that killed him was caused by you, so you still get credit.

Two freezards in one arrow is cool. But a long distance shot with that concept? Stylish (+1)

Watching the bosses sped up is hilarious and fun, for some reason.

EPISODE 29 KILL TALLY!

Malgyorg - 6
    Pirate Tank - 6
    Red Chuchu - 4
    Metal Chuchu - 4
    Green Spinut - 16
    Stalfos - 6
    Fire Keese - 6
    Ice Keese - 7
    Big Blin - 3
    Stalfos Warrior - 6
    Gerune - 5
    Ergtorok - 5
    Heatoise - 4
    Freezard - 12
    Blastworms - 13
    Stagnox - 1
    Fraaz - 1
    Phytops - 1
    Cragma - 1
    Skeldritch - 1
    Dark Link - 1

Style Points - 2

Missed Rupees - 0

Spirit Tracks
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 29)

Spoiler
    Show

Armos - 14
    Bee Hives - 3
    Bulbos - 33
    Cannons, Sand Temple - 12
    Cragma - 2
    Crows - 4
    Fraaz - 3
    Fire Babas - 8
    Freezards, Mini - 29
    Gerunes - 9
    Heatoise - 7
    Key Masters - 16
    Lobarriers - 12
    Malgyorgs - 29
    Rats - 33
    Sir Frosty - 69
    Snappers - 5
    Snurgles - 14
    Squiddies - 1
    Wolfos, White - 20

Blins
    Miniblins - 57
    Miniblins, Mounted - 5
    Bulblins, Archer - 17
    Big Blins - 4

Chuchus
    Chuchus, Red - 42
    Chuchus, Ice - 15
    Chuchus, Yellow - 8
    Chuchus, Metal - 8

Keese
    Keese - 19
    Keese, Ice - 11
    Keese, Fire - 23

Lizal
    Geozards - 7
    Geozards, Chief - 2

Mimics
    Like Likes - 2
    Like Likes, Pot - 5
    Like Likes, Chest - 1
    Dark Link - 1

Molds
    Mothula, Winged - 3
    Blastworms - 59
    Vengas - 7
    Stagnox - 4
    Tektites - 8
    Rocktites - 2
    Skulltulas - 13
    Skulltulas, Red - 12

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 45
    Octoroks, Ocean - 2
    Octives - 8
    Ergtoroks - 12
    Octomines - 11
    Phytops - 3

Poes
    Nocturne - 5
    Phantom Eyes - 25
    Phantoms - 5
    Phantoms, Warp - 1
    Phantoms. Wrecker - 2

Spinuts
    Spinuts, Red - 45
    Spinuts, Green - 33

Stal
    Bubbles - 12
    Stalfos - 27
    Stalfos Warriors - 11
    Skeldritch - 2

Vehicles
    Cannon Boats - 30
    Pirate Ships - 1
    Pirate Tanks - 12

Total Things Dead - 904

1st Place - Sir Frosty, at 69!
    2nd Place - Blastworms, at 59!
    3rd Place - Miniblins, at 57!

Total Style Points - 16

Total Missed Rupees - 14
    Total Lost Rupees - 0
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2020-03-30 at 11:03 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Trains of Thought (30 + 31)
    Show
    It begins; the final push towards the finish.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [30] A Towering Obstacle

Video Length: 26:14

In this episode, we head to the tip top of the Tower of Spirits... only to begin our DESCENT into the secret chambers. Which involves a multi floor super puzzle in which you must constantly switch between Phantoms, where all the Phantoms and one of the major important floors is ENTIRELY IN DARKNESS.

So this is a very necessary part of the game and in my striving to play through it, you can slowly start to see my braaain melt. It's cool and good. Hope you all enjoyed cause we're going to be here for... some degree of time.

Also a note; I've finished recording and editing the LP so don't worry, everything is fine and good.
    Oh hey, time for another Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [31] Mind Melting

Video Length: 24:22

In this episode, we continue doing what we did last episode, with the rather elaborate multi-floor multi-phantom puzzle. There isn't much to really talk about other than this is a culmination of the entire Spirit Tower, which is both cool but also wholly unnecessary a task, and the dark floor makes it all kinda frustrating.

That said, hope you're all enjoying this. Next video will actually be us moving into the end game, so just endure a little longer.

Gonna combine these episodes, as they are 2 parts of the same area.

I like twilight princess dungeons. The overworld collectables is a little to be desired, but the plot is good. However, that branch of the timeline ends with 4 Swords Adventures, not twilight princess...sooooo....your theory stands that the last game is the worst in each timeline.

I need arrows. Then immediately need arrows.

Can't you light Zelda Phantom's sword like the one on the other side of the wall maybe? Oh guess not, that's a new type call a torch phantom, gotcha.

I think that tablet in the last few minutes is hinting at that bomb-able wall from earlier in the top left, because the powerless phantom knew about it.

I like the puzzles. A nice culmination of everything. Just wish it ALL didn't revolve around phantoms, but I like it for the most part.

EPISODE 30 + 31 KILL TALLY!

Malgyorg - 5
    Phantom - 3
    Fire Keese - 2
    Nocturn - 4

Stalfos Warrior - 4
    Torch Phantom - 1
    Phantom Eye - 3
    Warp Phantom - 2
    Mounted Miniblin - 2
    Armos - 8
    Rat - 1

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 3

Spirit Tracks
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 31)

Spoiler
    Show

Armos - 22
    Bee Hives - 3
    Bulbos - 33
    Cragma - 2
    Crows - 4
    Fraaz - 3
    Fire Babas - 8
    Freezards, Mini - 29
    Gerunes - 9
    Heatoise - 7
    Key Masters - 16
    Lobarriers - 12
    Malgyorgs - 34
    Rats - 34
    Sir Frosty - 69
    Snappers - 5
    Snurgles - 14
    Squiddies - 1
    Wolfos, White - 20

Blins
    Miniblins - 57
    Miniblins, Mounted - 7
    Bulblins, Archer - 17
    Big Blins - 4

Chuchus
    Chuchus, Red - 42
    Chuchus, Ice - 15
    Chuchus, Yellow - 8
    Chuchus, Metal - 8

Keese
    Keese - 19
    Keese, Ice - 11
    Keese, Fire - 25

Lizal
    Geozards - 7
    Geozards, Chief - 2

Mimics
    Like Likes - 2
    Like Likes, Pot - 5
    Like Likes, Chest - 1
    Dark Link - 1

Molds
    Mothula, Winged - 3
    Blastworms - 59
    Vengas - 7
    Stagnox - 4
    Tektites - 8
    Rocktites - 2
    Skulltulas - 13
    Skulltulas, Red - 12

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 45
    Octoroks, Ocean - 2
    Octives - 8
    Ergtoroks - 12
    Octomines - 11
    Phytops - 3

Poes
    Nocturne - 9
    Phantom Eyes - 28
    Phantoms - 8
    Phantoms, Torch - 1
    Phantoms, Warp - 3
    Phantoms, Wrecker - 2

Spinuts
    Spinuts, Red - 45
    Spinuts, Green - 33

Stal
    Bubbles - 12
    Stalfos - 27
    Stalfos Warriors - 15
    Skeldritch - 2

Vehicles
    Cannon Boats - 30
    Pirate Ships - 1
    Pirate Tanks - 12

Total Things Dead - 939

Total Style Points - 16

Total Missed Rupees - 17
    Total Lost Rupees - 0
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2020-03-30 at 11:03 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

21. - Top - End - #351

Yeah, Torch Phantoms are r- red... okay so all the Phantoms with the fire swords are unique Phantoms and you may not have noticed due to colourblindness. Oops.

Also thank you for multi-track drifting, Amechra. That was wonderful.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Episode 33:
    a demon train boss fight in zelda.......never thought I'd see the day, but then again, I shouldn't throw stones, I've played jet set radio future where one of the bosses was this weird train boss where I had to graffiti it up to defeat and of course constantly keep up with my rocket skates. just spray paint the back of its two track-things and it just blows up. video games are weird.

yes, no more trains. Link is destined for better things than being a glorified bus driver.

Byrne has died. *gives proper anime brooding mourn while staring at sakura blossoms flutter amid the sunset*

evil leprechaun Cole has died. WILL NOT BE MISSED

yeah....cutting hell flute is probably for the best.

and yeah, I think I could've told everyone from the outset that a train zelda game wouldn't be good, simply because its too weird and out of place and thus have to do weird things to make it work....which doesn't work. gamers don't like their movement being restricted in any form and literal railroad tracks kind of forces that movement restriction. while the flute of course, is one of those new game control mechanics with imprecise movements and reads that lets be honest are still janky in progress stuff. but then I'm not interested in motion control or other kind of stuff like that, I prefer normal controls, with hell flute being a good example why, if it was a just a bunch of button pressing like ocarinas, there'd be no problem.

but yeah, goodbye weird train zelda game. you tried your best, but its really no wonder your not remembered at all compared to other titles in this franchise. the comedic toon link was probably the right choice, because could you imagine them trying to put some adult link into this kind of premise? stoic adult link conducting a train with a "I will end Ganon myself" serious Zelda as his ghost for company? it'd be even more of a disaster than it already is.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that Spirit Tracks could've been a really cool game... if it weren't a Legend of Zelda game, and if they didn't also feel the need to include Satan Flute.

I mean, the setting is campy fun. "The spirits chained up The Evil, and we use those chains for our chu-chu trains" is actually kinda fascinating, and they could've done a lot more with the train gameplay. Seriously, who thought the cannon was a good idea? Just replace the wandering monsters with people trying to hijack your train and kidnap your passengers (like that miniblin arena)?

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

So... something that isn't told, and is only hinted at by the way your whistle string is glowing, is that if you blow your whistle, you go fast. Superspeed fast.

...I didn't even realize that boss battle had a time limit. Welp.

I picked Engineer when I played. She's happy, and waves out the window as you hear the train in the distance.

I mean, it's also funny to see a six-foot-tall hulking armour cowering at the sight of rats. But... yeah, it only really comes up, like, twice or three times before now.

The flute section is annoying (though I still was stuck way longer on Embrose's), but, man, is this remix that pervades into the rest of the boss fight good.

Nah, it's just the I dunno ending that's the sad ending.

Well, I'm glad to see the game done over again. Though... I'm sorry that it had to be in a way that was just absolutely unfun for you. That sucks, to have to force your way through something you often don't enjoy. I can see why my opinions of the game are entirely different comparatively now - because I actually really enjoyed all the Train-ing around, and the sidequests. And that is a (frustrating large, for a lot) chunk of the game. Which doesn't unlock gradually enough, and doesn't have that good of rewards. So, if the segments aren't fun in and of themselves... that's not going to be great. This was one of the only games I've ever 100%ed, and I enjoyed... most of it. Defenitely would rather there be a way to skip flute if need be, though.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Trains of Thought (32)
    Show
    As Plague Week 2 ends, it's time for more Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [32] Compass of Light

Video Length: 29:55

In this exciting episode, the Tower of Spirits gives us one last knife shank to the ribs as it turns out that saving within it boots you to the very bottom. Hooray!!! Luckily all of the puzzles we solved on the way up are still solved so it's not THAT hard to get back to where we were last time, but it sure is an agonizing piece of weirdness that I'll never truly understand.

With that being said this final puzzle is a continuation on the theme of "use every Phantom to solve puzzles and also you need to jump between floors to get your Phantoms" which is interesting in theory but in practice is kinda agonizing. Especially since each chunk of the puzzle is divided into three separate rooms ON the floor, which just feels wasteful... and then, once that's all said and done, after we beat up the Geozard Chiefs on the next floor, the NEXT next floor is basically the EXACT same style of "use all Phantoms to solve successive puzzles" except it's one big room that has all the Phantoms in it! One of these two massive puzzles feels a little redundant and spoilers it's the one we spent the first half of this video on.

Once we finally carve our way through it all though, we get to the final sanctum and get our final chest, within which we find the Compass of Light, which lights up the rail that leads to the bad guy's secret lair. It's right next to our home village, which is honestly hella convenient. We return home, get the Great Whirlwind Slash from Niko for getting all his stamps, get one final, violent gasp of the game trying to get us to do sidequests which we promptly ignore, and we begin to head for the end game.

I hope you all enjoyed. Next time; the finale. Take care, I hope to see then.

Uh oh, last floor and the phantom gang is all here. John, Paul, George and Ringo...neat last puzzle!

So wait, the final area is directly next to the starting area? Full cycle....

Nice! SPIN ATTACK! Would have been good for that final boss rush you did a couple videos back I bet! Anyway, a style point for completing the stamps and getting the prize!

EPISODE 32 KILL TALLY!

Phantom - 2
    Phantom Eye - 14
    Stalfos Warrior - 7
    Warp Phantom - 3
    Torch Phantom - 2
    Rat - 1
    Armos - 8
    Wrecker Phantom - 2
    Metal Chuchus - 9
    Stalfos - 4
    Geozard Chief - 3
    Bulblin Archer - 2
    Bulbos - 2

Style Points - 1

Missed Rupees - 3

Spirit Tracks
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 31)

Spoiler
    Show

Armos - 30
    Bee Hives - 3
    Bulbos - 35
    Cragma - 2
    Crows - 4
    Fraaz - 3
    Fire Babas - 8
    Freezards, Mini - 29
    Gerunes - 9
    Heatoise - 7
    Key Masters - 16
    Lobarriers - 12
    Malgyorgs - 34
    Rats - 35
    Sir Frosty - 69
    Snappers - 5
    Snurgles - 14
    Squiddies - 1
    Wolfos, White - 20

Blins
    Miniblins - 57
    Miniblins, Mounted - 7
    Bulblins, Archer - 19
    Big Blins - 4

Chuchus
    Chuchus, Red - 42
    Chuchus, Ice - 15
    Chuchus, Yellow - 8
    Chuchus, Metal - 17

Keese
    Keese - 19
    Keese, Ice - 11
    Keese, Fire - 25

Lizal
    Geozards - 7
    Geozards, Chief - 5

Mimics
    Like Likes - 2
    Like Likes, Pot - 5
    Like Likes, Chest - 1
    Dark Link - 1

Molds
    Mothula, Winged - 3
    Blastworms - 59
    Vengas - 7
    Stagnox - 4
    Tektites - 8
    Rocktites - 2
    Skulltulas - 13
    Skulltulas, Red - 12

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 45
    Octoroks, Ocean - 2
    Octives - 8
    Ergtoroks - 12
    Octomines - 11
    Phytops - 3

Poes
    Nocturne - 9
    Phantom Eyes - 42
    Phantoms - 10
    Phantoms, Torch - 3
    Phantoms, Warp - 6
    Phantoms, Wrecker - 4

Spinuts
    Spinuts, Red - 45
    Spinuts, Green - 33

Stal
    Bubbles - 12
    Stalfos - 231
    Stalfos Warriors - 22
    Skeldritch - 2

Vehicles
    Cannon Boats - 30
    Pirate Ships - 1
    Pirate Tanks - 12

Total Things Dead - 998

Total Style Points - 17

Total Missed Rupees - 17
    Total Lost Rupees - 0

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Uh oh, last floor and the phantom gang is all here. John, Paul, George and Ringo...neat last puzzle!

So wait, the final area is directly next to the starting area? Full cycle....

Nice! SPIN ATTACK! Would have been good for that final boss rush you did a couple videos back I bet! Anyway, a style point for completing the stamps and getting the prize!
    It is truly a shame that there is no fitting train term for "full circle" otherwise it would have been wonderful.

Any side quest that gets you the ultimate spin attack move is worth doing. Wombat based skill points are a close second reason to do so

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

It is truly a shame that there is no fitting train term for "full circle" otherwise it would have been wonderful.
    Quoth Wikipedia:
    Balloon: A looped length of track, usually at the end of a spur or branch, which trains use to turn around for the return trip without reversing or shunting.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, final thoughts and a few things...

First off, as someone who professionally plays woodwinds, including but not limited to actual pan pipes, this game's interpretation is... complete butts. As in unplayable by someone who literally makes a living playing this exact instrument at RenFaires in actual real life. This isn't just you, it's the game's attempt at doing this. They should've just gone OoT style 'press buttons in tempo' for this instead of getting fancy, because it absolutely was pants-on-head imbecilic. And I feel sorry for you for having been made to do this.

I'm actually tempted to record me performing the main song on pan pipes just to show that this is mostly the game's GUI, but it really wouldn't have the impact without video showing me do it and that's not a thing I really do. Heck, I'm still tempted to record myself in multiple parts and mix them together, Smooth McGroove style. One part being the pan flute, then maracas for the train choo-choos, then tin-whistle (think recorder) and ocarina for countermelody and descant, and maybe dumbeck and jimbay for percussion.

Fortunately, this game is over and done with. As is this timeline. My thoughts and opinions on the timeline in general is probably pretty well known by this point, and I accept that I'm in the minority in this mindset, so I won't go over it again. However, regardless, I have been greatly enjoying your playthrough of the entire series, and hope to continue with you along your journey in the Zelda timelines.

The Dead Link timeline is going to be the shortest, just three games really, so one might wish to go ahead and get it out of the way. Plus Twilight Princess is one of my favorite games in the entire series after LTTP, and probably my favorite of the 3d zeldas.

The Adult timeline, however, has all my old favorites. Basically all the 'old school' Zelda games are represented here: The Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link, Link To The Past (my all-time favorite in the series), These all tend to be shorter games, probably not more than a dozen or so episodes each. Of course, to make up for it you get both Oracles games and Link's Awakening (are you going to do the Remake version or original?), and those oracles games are pretty long.

Zelda 2 has always been a... point of contention within the fandom. I didn't much care for it when I first got it, since it was such a huge difference in mechanics from the original. And that final dungeon... that final [REDACTED] dungeon. I could have forgiven it everything but that... place. There's a reason why your restart point is in the dungeon itself instead of Hyrule castle (actually, the reason is because in the original version of the game, it was a two-sided disk, and the entire final dungeon was on the second side...). And I won't blame anyone for disliking it. But it's not really *that* bad, certainly not as bad as the memes would have you believe. But that may be the few hundred hours I dumped into this game as a kid with little else to do which is talking. It's not my least favorite in the series, you just got done playing the two titles that hold that position in my opinion, but it's not my favorite either.

Either way, I think you chose wisely in making the decision at the beginning of this personal challenge to intersperse non-Zelda games with Zelda games to avoid burnout. Especially between Boats and Trains, doing those back-to-back without a break would've probably broken poor Zodi.

Ronin seems pretty interesting, like a predecessor for Mark of the Ninja (one of my all-time favorite Stealth games, and one of the *very* few games who do Stealth correctly, IMO). This is going to be interesting.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2020-03-30 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

29. - Top - End - #359

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed. And I can say in no uncertain terms that that video idea of yours sounds amazing and I would love to see that!

Also this is... very funny and also completely expected given you dislike the timeline as an idea, but you got them mixed up. In every way. The Adult timeline is what we just finished, because it takes place in that Adult future where Link killed Ganon and then returned to the past, leaving the world without a hero. Child is the short one with Twilight and friends. Dead leads to the original games and all there wonderment. Either way judging from how the voting is going you'll be quite happy to know we'll probably be doing Majora next Zelda wise, then Twilight.

I'm gonna be doing the remake of Awakening, though I'll be sure to make a note of changes and stuff. It's kinda funny since way back when I did Four Swords itself, during the History levels there's a chunk that's all in Link's Awakening... and it's a future-past that will never come since we're playing the remake! Also, I'm... probably going to slot a game between the two Oracle games, but WILL do them both back to back otherwise. I'll put in something short between the two.

Zelda 2 is probably my second least favorite Zelda, but ironically it kinda just... is more playable than Phantom still. I just really enjoy Phantom's bosses and writing enough that I'd say I enjoy it better. Also yeah if I was doing every Zelda back to back I'd have just... been done, I'd have quit, because Phantom then Spirit back to back would be crushing.

Also yeah Ronin is a very fun mixture of Mark of the Ninja and Gunpoint. It's not... as stealth perfect as the former or as meta as the latter, but it's really good and I hope everyone enjoys.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-03-30 at 06:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360

Zelda may be done, but that doesn't mean this video train is! Next up, A Taste Of!

A Taste Of: Dicey Dungeons

Video Length: 48:36

We kinda took a big bite out of this one, but it's worth it. Me and Blue join forces in our quest to beat back the plague times and also find more video games that Blue can play himself. Astute viewers will have noticed this video briefly going up publicly on the ol' Youtubes, thanks for not bringing it up if you did. But yeah, Dicey Dungeons is a super fun, quick and simple, excruciatingly complex to the point of madness roguelike where you get card like equipment and use dice to determine everything. It's very good and fun and funny and we played one full run of it with the Warrior. Hope you enjoy~